Unofficial Portkey Archive

Anything for Love by coriander
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Anything for Love

coriander

I lie in my bed, staring at the ceiling. Today was Christmas. I got most of what I asked for, but everything felt so… wrong. Let me start from the beginning…

This morning, Candi came and woke me up. She was so excited that Father Christmas had come. She was jumping on my bed while I put on my dressing gown. I was half expecting Mum to come in and tell us to stop being so loud, but Mum didn't come in and neither did Harry.

When I finished tying my dressing gown, Candi and I went to wake Mum and Harry up. The presents under the tree were calling us and we needed to get down there soon. When I knocked on the door to their room, there was no answer. I opened thedoor, expecting to see the two of them sleeping, but no… the bed was unmade and empty.

"They're probbly already downstairs," Candi said.

I nodded and pulled her down the stairs. The tree was lit in the corner of the room. Mum's favorite blanket was lying on the couch, but neither Mum nor Harry were anywhere to be seen. A noise came from the kitchen and I ran in hoping to see them sitting at the table, sipping tea. But no, Mum and Harry weren't there.

"Happy Christmas, Artie."

"Happy Christmas, Dad."

"Daddy!" Candace yelled when seeing our father sitting at the kitchen table. She immediately ran to him and jumped in his lap. I don't know if she even realized that Mum and Harry weren't there, but I did.

"What are you doing here, Dad? Where are Mum and Harry?" I saw his eyes sadden a bit. I knew something was wrong when they weren't in their bedroom. Something just didn't feel right.

"Arthur, let's eat breakfast and I will teel you what's going on before we go see what Father Christmas brought. All right?"

I nodded as I sat down to a plat of eggs, gravy, sausage and biscuits. I couldn't eat. I wanted to know where my mum was. I wanted to know what was wrong.

I noticed Dad silently staring into his teacup. "Dad?" I asked, making him look up at me with worried eyes.

"Arthur, Harry had to take your mum to St. Mungo's a few hours ago," he said softly, trying to ease the impact of his words.

My heart dropped. This was a nightmare. It had to be. "Why?"

"She woke up in a lot of pain. She's probably fine," he tried to reassure me. "The twins are probably just very active tonight."

I know he was trying to help me. But I didn't want to be lied to. "Harry wouldn't have taken her to St. Mungo's if it was just the twins kicking her. What's going on, Dad?"

His face paled. Candi was sitting there with silent tears falling down her cheeks. She didn't understand exactly what was going on, but she knew what Dad was thinking, and she knew something was wrong. Fear held me frozen. Something was wrong with my little brothers. My mum was hurting. Happy Christmas to me!

Dad sipped his tea and pulled Candi back over onto his lap. "I'm not sure what's going on, but there may be something wrong with the babies. The healers at St. Mungo's are watching them and taking good care of your mum. Harry will let us know if anything happens."

I could tell that he was trying to keep his feelings in check. His eyes were red from holding his tears in. I wasn't as strong. My tears flowed and Dad held his arm out. I went to him and cried in his shoulder.

What if I never get to see my brothers? What if Mum doesn't get better? I was so scared. I burrowed myself further into my father's arms. I cried like a baby as my daddy held me. I looked up at him as he kissed my sister's head. His tears finally won and spilled down his cheeks.

After what seemed like hours, Dad cleared his throat and wiped his eyes. He tried to smile, but it couldn't hide the sadness and worry. His voice was falsely happy as he tried to bring some light to the situation. "What are we doing in here sobbing? Your mum and Harry would want us to be happy today. It's Christmas and I believe that there are presents out there waiting to be opened."

Candi ran out into the common room, sliding on her pajamaed knees across the wooden floor. I tried to be happy. I tried to be excited, but the thought of my mum being at St. Mungo's on Christmas would let me.

The morning flew by in a blur. I unconsciously opened my presents. I had even started to feel happy at some of the gifts, like the training broom from Harry. I was fine until I came upon two small boxes. Grandmum had taken me to Diagon Alley where I bought little t-shirts for the babies. I had wanted Mum and Harry to each open one. The t-shirts said "My Big Brother Loves Me."

Picking up the two boxes, I looked at my dad again. "Do you think they're OK?" He knelt down beside me and told me that he was sure they would be fine.

After our gifts were opened, Dad took us to Grandmum and Grandpa's house. The Burrow was packed full of my aunts, uncles and cousins. The commotion was actually comforting. I am sure that everyone knew where Mum and Harry were, but no one mentioned it. Everyone succeeded in keeping Candi's and my minds off of everything. I think I may have actually had a good time today, but was sadle overshadowed by the emptiness of Grimmauld Place when we went home after dinner.

Dad tucked us into our beds. I have missed my dad. I am glad he was here today, even though the situation was worrisome. Dad assured me again that he was sure that Mum and the babies would be fine. That's how I found myself lying in my bed staring at the ceiling.

I prayed to anyone that would listen, "Please watch over and protect my mum and my baby brothers. Please let them come home to me. Please let them be all right." I closed my eyes and started to doze off only to be awakened by the sound of my door creaking open.

A small figure with red curls is standing in my doorway. I pat the spot beside me in my bed and she comes and curls up beside me. She doesn't say anything, just nuzzles into my side and falls asleep.

A while later I find that I must have fallen asleep and I awake to find someone sitting on the edge of my bed, stroking my hair. "Harry?"

"Happy Christmas, Arthur," he whispers as not to wake the sleeping little girl beside me.

"Happy Christmas, Harry. Where's Mum?"

I can see a faint smile on his face in the darkness. "She has to stay at St. Mungo's for the night. They want to make sure she and the babies are all right, before they come home."

"What happened?"

"Well, it seems that the boys have a lot of magic in them already and your mum's body is having a hard time handling it. She's OK and so are the babies. But she needs to stay off her feet for a while, probably until the babies come. I will need your help with that, all right?"

"All right," I answer as he wraps me in a big hug. I hold on to my stepfather for dear life. My fears have subsided somewhat, but I am still worried.

Harry lets me go and moves over to pick up Candi. "She can stay. It's all right."

With Candace in his arms, he opens the door and motions to me, "C'mon, Arthur, lets go sleep in my bed. I don't think I'll be able to sleep in that big bed by myself. I need you two there." I know he needs me and you know what? I need him too.

I follow Harry to his bedroom and crawl into the bed where Mum usually sleeps. I can smell her on the pillow and I nuzzle deeply into it. Everything is going to be all right. I can't help but think that as I fall asleep in my stepfather's arms.