Unofficial Portkey Archive

Anything for Love by coriander
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Anything for Love

coriander

Chapter 24

I honestly never thought I would be back at Hogwarts, at least not like this. But here I am standing in the Headmaster's office. I am reminded of the many times we came here after doing something stupid. Well, this could be chalked up under the same category, if you thought about it. It was stupid that we forgot the damned charm, but I wouldn't change anything for the world. I would still be here whether there were babies or not.

I look over at my beautiful… almost wife. She is stunning. Her hair is down, flowing in dark ringlets down her back with bits of baby's breath intertwined. The gown she is wearing reminds me of a medieval princess. I guess she is my princess. For the past few weeks she has called me her prince. I'm not sure where that all came from, but its cute. I don't mind it at all.

I look to the man in front of me. If someone were to tell me ten years ago, that this man would be the one to marry me and my love, I would have laughed my arse off. But here he stands in all his dark glory. Severus Snape is a good man. I have a deep-rooted respect for the greasy git. Well, he doesn't look that greasy anymore; the silver in his hair has softened it up a bit.

I am not exactly sure what Snape is saying. He keeps droning on and on. The man has never been married in his life, how can he have that much to say about it? I wonder for a moment why we just didn't have the Minister of Magic perform the ceremony. I know Arthur would have done it, if we had asked. But no, Hermione felt strange having her ex-father-in-law officiating her wedding. I guess I can see her point.

Speaking of the Minister, he is standing beside Molly beaming happily at us. There are only a few people here to witness this. I move my eyes to glance at everyone. There's Arthur and Molly, Ron (who thought best to leave Lavender at home - good thinking, Ron), Remus, Draco and Ginny (that's still one of the strangest sights, but like Mione and I, they're made for each other), and of course Arthur and Candace.

Candi looks so cute with her hair pinned up and her dress that looks just like Hermione's. Arthur keeps looking over his shoulder at me and smiling. He even dressed so he could match me… his idea. I smile and shake my head in disbelief. How did I get so lucky to have all of this?

I feel Hermione squeeze my hand and hear Snape clear his throat. I put my full attention to the man in front of us. I feel like I'm back in potions class, listening to his booming voice and looking at his stern expression. He doesn't look as menacing now as he used to. That may be because I know him on a personal level now, if I really want to admit that. Yeah, I guess I do. He did so much for me, for all of us in the war. If it weren't for him, we would have lost a lot more. Here I go again, losing all concentration. Where are we? Oh yeah… I feel Hermione turn to me and grab my hands as Snape begins…

"Hermione, please face Harry and hold his hands, palms up, so you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and vibrant with love, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises to love you all the days of his life.

These are the hands that will work along side yours, as together you build your future, as you laugh and cry, as you share your innermost secrets and dreams.

These are the hands you will place with expectant joy against your stomach, to feel his child stir within you.

These are the hands that look so large and strong, yet will be so gentle as he holds your baby for the first time.

These are the hands that will work long hours for you and your new family.

These are that hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes: tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will comfort you in illness, and hold you when fear or grief wracks your mind.

These are the hands that will tenderly lift your chin and brush your cheek as they raise your face to look into his eyes: eyes that are filled completely with his overwhelming love and desire for you."

I look up to see Hermione's eyes filled with tears. I want so much to wipe them away. I can't help it. I reach up and wipe her tears with my thumb. It's my job; Snape just said so. Right? She smiles at me and I am lost once more. I vaguely hear Snape say my name and turn to look at him. At his words, I take Hermione's hands and let my eyes linger on hers.

"Harry, please hold Hermione's hands, palms up, where you may see the gift that they are to you. These are the hands of your best friend, smooth, young and carefree, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as she pledges her love and commitment to you all the days of her life.

These are the hands that will hold each child in tender love, soothing them through illness and hurt, supporting and encouraging them along the way, and knowing when it is time to let go.

These are the hands that will massage tension from your neck and back in the evenings after you've both had a long hard day.

These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times.

These are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick, or console you when you are grieving.

They are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.

These are the hands that will hold you in joy and excitement and hope, each time she tells you that you are to have another child; that together you have created a new life.

These are the hands that will give you support as she encourages you to chase down your dreams. Together as a team, everything you wish for can be realized."

It's her turn to wipe my tears away. I am a sap; I admit it. I live for romance. I live for mushy stuff. I may look like a Quidditch jock on the outside, but this is what makes me turn to mush. I try to remember all that Snape just said, and I can't. I was so lost in the emotion of it all; my mind is a blur. I guess I will have to put it all in a pensieve when we get home. Then I might actually be able to concentrate. Because right now, the only thing I am concentrating on is not sweeping Hermione into my arms and carrying her to the Room of Requirement, to with her what I will.

Hermione and I are still holding hands as each witness present comes forward with the handfasting cords. I hear Snape's voice again and try to focus on his words.

"Harry and Hermione, know now before you go further, that since your lives have crossed in this life you have formed ties between each other. As you seek to enter this state of matrimony you should strive to make real, the ideals which give meaning to both this ceremony and the institution of marriage.

The promises made today and the ties that are bound here greatly strengthen your union; they will cross the years and lives of each soul's growth. I bid you look into each other's eyes. Harry, will you cause her pain?"

I take a deep breath and answer, "I may."

"Is that your intent?"

"No." "Hermione, will you cause him pain?" "I may."

"Is that your intent?"

"No."

"Will you share each other's pain and seek to ease it?"

I smile at her and we both answer together, "Yes."

"And so the binding is made." Snape then drapes a black cord over our hands, before he continues.

"Hermione, will you share his laughter?"

"Yes."

"Harry, will you share her laughter"?

"Yes."

"Will both of you look for the brightness in life and the positive in each other?"

"Yes."

"And so the binding is made."

Molly moves forward and drapes a yellow cord over our hands before leaning over and kissing us both on the cheek.

"Hermione, will you burden him?"

"I may."

"Is that your intent?"

"No."

"Harry, will you burden her?"

"I may."

"Is that your intent?"

"No."

"Will you share the burdens of each so that your spirits may grow in this union?"

"Yes."

"And so the binding is made."

I watch as Arthur, the elder one, comes and drapes the brown cord over our hands. He winks at me before he goes back to his wife's side. He's the father I never got to know. I pray that I can be as good at it as he is. My eyes fall on Hermione's once more as the ceremony continues.

"Hermione, will you share his dreams?"

"Yes."

"Harry, will you share her dreams?"

"Yes."

"Will you dream together to create new realities and hopes?"

I feel her squeeze my hands again. The sensation flows through me and makes me stutter as we both answer, "Yes"

"And so the binding is made."

Remus comes up and drapes the blue cord over our hands. He smiles at me before turning to Hermione. I can see the tears in his eyes. I know he was part of my parents' wedding. I wonder if that's what he's thinking of? Again I don't know what Snape is saying.

I really wish my mind would stop going off on its damned tangents. I think Hermione might kill me by the time this is over. That would be a record - married for one second before the bride kills the groom.

"Harry, will you cause her anger?"

What irony it is that this be the cord after what I was just thinking. I fight back a chuckle as I answer, "I may."

"Is that your intent?"

"No." I can't help but notice the fire burning in Hermione's eyes. I know she noticed the chuckle. I couldn't help it, I swear. I look at her pleadingly for a moment.

"Hermione, will you cause him anger?"

"I may." Was it just me, or did she just growl that out?

"Is that your intent?"

"No." I think it was just me, but I still think she's going to pull me aside the second this is over and thrash me a good one.

"Will you take the heat of anger and use it to temper the strength of this union?"

"We will." And we're going to start in about 3 minutes.

"And so the binding is made."

Draco is the one to drape the red cord over our hands. Things have changed a lot in the last ten years. I now consider him a close friend, I never expected that at Hogwarts. He smiles at us both and nods in respect. He is a good man.

"Hermione, will you honor him?"

"I will."

"Harry, will you honor her?"

"I will."

"Will you seek to never give cause to break that honor?"

"We shall never do so."

"And so the binding is made."

Now, this is irony. Ron has come forward to place the purple cord over our hands. He kisses Hermione on the cheek and clasps my shoulder. I can see the pain in his eyes. I hate to see him like that. It's not like I want to dance a jig in front of him saying, 'She's mine, she's mine.' That would just be wrong. I love the prat. He's my brother, or the closest thing I'll ever have. I know he will find happiness someday, whether it be with Lavender or not.

As Ron steps away, Snape takes all six cords and ties them together, around our hands. We are bound. I look deeply into my love's eyes as Snape concludes the ceremony by removing the tied cords and placing them in our hands.

"The knots of this binding are not formed by these chords but instead by your vows. Either of you may drop the chords, for as always, you hold in your own hands the making or breaking of this union.

"I have watched the two of you grow into very intelligent and caring adults. I am truly happy that you have found what so many have never experienced. May the gods bless and shine on you."

I am dumbfounded by his words. Severus Snape, Slytherin git, just expressed feelings… toward me, the bane of his existence. I stand there awestruck at what was just said, but then am interrupted by the insufferable git of a Potions Master snapping at me.

"Kiss her you fool."

I gladly take his order and kiss my lovely wife. My wife. Mrs. Hermione Potter. Harry and Hermione Potter. Mr. Hermione Potter, yep, that's me. My thoughts are interrupted not only by the feel of Mione's tongue slithering into my mouth, but also by the incessant pulling of my sleeve by a little person.

I gently pull away from our kiss to look down and see a smiling redhead looking up at me. She pulls on my arm so that I have to kneel down to be eye level with her. Candace grabs my face with both her hands and kisses me full on the mouth. It's a quick peck on the lips, but she is embarrassed by her boldness.

I smile at her as she pulls away and blushes. Her face is suddenly hidden in her mother's dress. I look up at Hermione who is smiling mirthfully. I pull Candace into my arms and hug her tightly. "I love you, Candi."

"I love you too, Harry." At that I kiss the top of her head and stand up to take her mother into my arms.

"How did we get here, Mione?" I ask her as I lightly kiss her forehead.

"I believe, that two weeks ago, you came home from a night out with the boys and in your drunken stupor, proposed to me. I said 'yes' and here we are." She can be such a pain in the arse sometimes. But that's why I love her. She turns around and starts toward Remus. Then it hits me what she said…

I grab her shoulder and turn her around. "I was not drunk when I asked you to marry me." She smiles and I pull her to me. This is where she belongs… in my arms. "I love you, Mrs. Potter."

She looks up at me, her brown eyes shining. "I love you too, Mr. Granger." As I stand there in shock, she extricates herself from my arms and before I can go after her, Snape has pulled me aside. I will get her later. The game is on.

*

A/N - The wedding ceremony is taken from different ideas from www.ultimatewedding.com. I cannot take credit for that, sorry. :)