Unofficial Portkey Archive

Anything for Love by coriander
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Anything for Love

coriander

A/N - This chapter comes from a totally different point of view. Don't flame me, please. I just thought we needed a little more of the Weasleys. Don't worry the proposal is coming up. I hope to have it up today or tomorrow at the latest. I only get the chance to update on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. (That's when I work). I have no time at home, my husband is about ready to throw my computer through the window as it is. ;) I hope you like this chapter. Please feel free to read and review. ~Coriander

Chapter 22

I look along the long table at my family. I have truly been blessed. I have a wonderful husband, 7 beautiful children and their significant others, 11 grandchildren, 2 might-as-well-be-my-children and a new might-as-well-be-my-grandchild on the way. I sigh contentedly. This is what life is all about. I catch my husband's eye from the other end of the table. He knows what I'm thinking. He knows that I am happy.

Dinner at the Burrow is never a planned affair. People come and go as they please, but tonight is different. All of my children are here. It was not entirely planned, as Ginny and Draco had just popped in to say hello and Harry and Hermione had just come by to pick up Candace and Arthur. I talked them all into staying. Bill is back home and Charlie had an interview for a new job. I have missed these times. I pray that I can get more of them.

I look around at my children. Bill is here with his wife Marlena and their daughter Trinity. I have missed Bill. His hair is still long, and that blasted earring… I guess Marlena likes it, so I really can't complain, can I? I am glad that he is no longer in Egypt, or in Columbia, or… where was he last? Oh, yes, Saskatchewan, Canada. He is finally coming back to London, for good. I can't wait to get to know my daughter-in-law and my granddaughter better. They have been away since Trinity was a little over a year old, that was five years ago.

My eyes move across the table to Charlie. My Charlie. Romania was good for him. He found his wife, Nina there, they were working together. They say it was love at first sight. How sweet. Nina stopped working with the dragons, however, when she found out about Little Charlie. I don't like the name Chuck. He will always be my 'Little Charlie.' Then when Myrna was born, she decided that dragon-keeping was not for her anymore. Charlie's been trying to get out of it, too, for the kids' sakes. I hope that he gets the position he interviewed for. He had applied for the position of Care of Magical Creatures professor at Hogwarts. It would be so wonderful for him to be there, teaching his nieces and nephews; along with the fact that I will be able to see him more often.

Percy. Percy, Percy, Percy. That boy will be the death of me. After all he had put the family through when Voldemort came back, I thought he would never come back into the fold. I am so glad he did. It took some coaxing from his 'lover,' but he's back. I look over at him and smile as he wipes a bit of gravy off Oliver's chin. Oliver is the best thing that could have ever happened to Percy. He loves him unconditionally, and that's what matters.

I am brought out of my musings by the cackle of one of the twins. I think it was Fred. I'm not sure what they are doing, but I don't think those two will ever grow up. I was annoyed at them for leaving Hogwarts the way they did. But they built their Wheeze Empire and I can't be upset at them for that. I'm still not sure how those two landed wives, but somehow they did. Fred and Angelina, yeah, the same one from Hogwarts, I think it was Spinnet or Johnson - I always got the two of them confused, have three children - Taylor, 12, Miranda, 9, and George, 5. I feel sorry for the two of them sometimes. Those three kids act just like their father. Merlin help Angelina.

George's wife, Charlene, is trying to duck one of the twins' new inventions. I know I should scold them, but I'm too happy right now to ruin it. Charlene has given George two wonderful children. Charlene had been married before and her husband left her and the children. George took them in and loved them as his own. That's my George. He had always wanted a family and we were afraid he would never have one after an unfortunate Wheeze accident. But now he has Charlene, Liam, and Chelsea. They even have red hair, so they fit the part rather well.

I catch Ginny looking at me strangely and I smile. "You all right, Mum?" she asks as she grabs my hand. I nod and my tears start to spill over. Virginia, my baby. I never would have imagined her marrying a Malfoy. But Draco is wonderful. He is a great husband to Ginny and a fantastic father to Annie. I never thought I would see that young man ever show love for anything more than himself. I was very wrong, and I am glad I was.

"I'm fine, baby," I reassure Ginny before she lets go of my hand to let me go back to my pondering. Ron. Ron. I shake my head as I look over to my youngest son and his girlfriend, Lavender. I'm still not used to it, but I have to accept it. I look closely at Ron and see a faint look of despair in his eyes. I follow his gaze and see Hermione and Harry nuzzling each other.

Harry and Hermione. My two adopted children. When Hermione's parents were killed, I had no choice but to take her in. She is as close to me as Ginny. And Harry… well, he's Harry. Harry has always been a part of this family, since Ron met him on the train to Hogwarts. I am so glad to see them so happy. I remember Hermione saying something about a healer appointment today and I wonder vaguely how it went. The family knows that she is pregnant. Ron had a hard time with it at first. He had sought out my advice on the situation when Harry had told him. Poor Ron. He made his bed, now he must lie in it.

Dinner continued without much excitement, aside from the twins' experimental miniature flying monkeys, that kept burrowing into peoples' hair. The scene was no Norman Rockwell painting. You know, that Muggle artist that painted for that American periodical? Yeah, I know about Muggle art. I'm rather fascinated by it, but don't tell Arthur that. After all the grief I have given him over the years for his obsession with Muggle items, I would never live it down.

Suddenly, I hear a fork being tapped against a glass. I look over and see Harry standing up. He did it! He proposed to her. I knew it was going to happen sooner or lat…

"Hermione and I would like to make an announcement." He looked nervously down at Hermione, who grabbed his hand and squeezed it. I love to see two people so in love. "Today we had our first healer visit. And we have some great news…"

"It's a girl!"

"It's a boy!" Various exclamations erupted around the table. But Harry just laughed, nervously.

He looked straight at Ron and smiled. Ron smiled back as best he could, but I could tell it didn't go all the way to his eyes. Then Harry spoke again. "Yes, it's a boy. Well rather… um… two boys." He drifted of slightly at the end, but I heard him all the same. He didn't propose, but they're having twins.

I couldn't help but jump up and embrace the two of them. I never expected this. Harry has always wanted to be a dad. I am glad Hermione could do that for him. I just never expected twins.

"TWINS!?" Ron yelled.

Hermione nodded over my shoulder at him. I'm not sure what Ron's reaction was but I did here Lavender say, "It's all right, Ron. I'm really happy for them." I let go of Harry and Hermione to let the others follow suit with their congratulations. I looked around and saw Ron disappear through the back door, letting it slam behind him.

Between the 'Way to go, Harry's, 'Congratulations' and 'Just don't name them Fred and George's I looked over at Hermione who was now hugging Bill. Her eyes belied her inner turmoil. She had seen Ron storm out and obviously didn't know what to do.

I nodded to her, and she seemed to understand. Let Mummy handle this one. I nonchalantly left the kitchen and followed my son out the door. I found him sitting on the picnic table with his head in his hands.

"Ron?"

"Hi, Mum."

"Are you all right?" He nodded. I don't believe him for one second. "You're lying, Ronald," I chastise him lightly.

"I don't know what to do, Mum. How am I supposed to feel? I know that I messed up, but seeing Hermione so happy, hurts. She was never that happy with me."

I shake my head at him. It took you long enough to realize all this, didn't it boy? "Ron, I'm not going to lie to you. She seems very happy. And so does Harry. Isn't this what you wanted?"

He looks at me incredulously. "Mum…"

"No, Ron. I will not let you ruin this. You messed up. You let Hermione go. Harry loves her. You love Lavender. Let it go."

His gaze drops to the wet grass. "I'm trying Mum. I just… I want to be that happy. I want to have what they have."

"Don't you?"

"I love Lavender. And she loves me. But it's not like what Harry and Hermione have. Why can't I have that?"

I sigh as I wrap my arms around him. "Ron, you need to focus on her and on your relationship. Put Lavender first. That's where you failed with Hermione. If you love Lavender, show her. Do you realize, you hurt her feelings when you stormed out the way you did? You tell her you love her, but at the first sign of Hermione being happy with someone else, you fume. What is the girl supposed to think? You cheated on your ex-wife with her. And now your ex-wife is still effecting you as if you still love her."

"I still do, Mum."

I try to hold my tongue. I want to smack the boy upside the head sometimes. At times he is dafter than the twins, and that's saying a lot. "Think about who you love more, Ron. Is it Hermione? Or is it Lavender?"

He sighs deeply. "I know where you're going, Mum. And you're right. I am in love with Lavender and I need to show her that. I'm a prat aren't I?"

I snigger a little bit; he may not be so daft after all. "No, you're just a bit slow. Now, go in and tell her how you feel. And apologize to Hermione, too. She wants your support; she needs it. You wanted her to be happy, let her be." At that I leave him sitting on the table thinking about my words. I hope he actually listened this time.

I go over and start to dish up the pumpkin pie I made for dessert as everyone debates over possible names for the new twins.

"How about James and Sirius?" a voice comes from the doorway. Ron. I look over at him and smile. Hermione is up in a flash and hugs him.

"Are you all right with this, Ron?" she asks. I catch Ron looking over at the tear-streaked Lavender and smiling.

"I think it's wonderful. Congratulations." He stands up and shakes Harry's hand before Harry pulls him into a hug of his own. Harry whispers something in Ron's ear that I can't hear. It must have been good, because Ron smiles and pats him on the back before rejoining Lavender on the other side of the table.

"I love you, Lav. I'm sorry." I hear Ron whisper before he kisses her lightly. She smiles. Ron actually did something right for a change. I swell with pride at him. It took him long enough.

I pass out the pie to everyone as they continue the name discussion. Harry and Hermione said that they liked Ron's suggestion, but may use them for middle names if anything. There was only one James Potter and one Sirius Black in Harry's mind and that's the way it was going to stay. That boy has grown up to be an astounding man. If his father and Sirius could see him now, no doubt they would be proud. I know I am.

The conversations continue and I hear Fred or George say something to Ron. "Hey, Ickle Ronniekins, we're all going out to the Three Broomsticks. You know, all the guys, to celebrate Harry's accomplishment. It takes a lot to make twins. He did good." I look over at Hermione who is rolling her eyes. I think she may have had something to do with that, too.

I smile as Ron asks Lavender if she minded if he went for a few drinks. Good boy. She nods and the men kiss their wives before disapparating to the pub. I can't help but laugh at what just happened. One mention of drinks and all the men disappear literally.

All the girls help me clear the table and set the dishwashing charms. I love my daughters. That's what they all are. My daughters. After about an hour of socializing and doting over Hermione, the girls start to gather the children and head home.

Again, my house is silent. I miss the noise. I miss the chaos. It's just me and Arthur now. It's odd hearing nothing in a house that used to hold nine people, twenty-four hours a day. The silence consumes me and I venture off to bed and wait for Arthur to return from the pub. At least now, we have the house to ourselves. And some nights we tend to make up for the silence, if you know what I mean. How do you think we ended up with seven kids to begin with?