Unofficial Portkey Archive

Anything for Love by coriander
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Anything for Love

coriander

Chapter 32

I wake up to hear a soft voice singing from across the room. My eyes open to see my husband sitting in a rocking chair holding both of our eight-hour-old sons. It is a sight to behold, indeed. My heart swells larger than I could ever imagine. Harry looks so natural holding the babies, and his voice is amazing.

I never knew Harry could sing. I am quite surprised. The most I've ever heard him sing is when he sings along to the wireless or when we were dancing together on his birthday and when we went dancing at 'Fantasia Incantado.' I guess I should have known that Harry could sing, I guess I never paid attention.

I shift in the bed to get more comfortable. He still hasn't noticed that I'm awake. I just sit and watch. He is beautiful sitting there being the proud papa. Harry finally has the family he always dreamed of; at least I hope it's the family he's always dreamed of. As I watch him and listen to his voice, my mind wanders to when Ron and I were here for Arthur and Candace's births.

I was so in love with Ron then. I remember how much he grew up the minute he held Arthur in his arms. We were so young then. Well, I guess twenty-one isn't all that young. He was so happy to be a dad. The love in his eyes was all for the brown-haired boy in his arms. I thought he would be disappointed that he didn't have red hair, but he claimed that he wanted him to look like me; that there were enough redheads to last us a while.

When Candace was born, we had such a hard time. We were so scared that we would lose her. She was blue when the Healer placed her on my stomach and it took a few minutes for her to get the air into her lungs to let out her first cry. That was the longest two minutes of my life. She was truly a miracle. Technically, the twins' birth was easy compared to hers.

I smile as I focus once more on the raven-haired man and the two miniature versions of him in the corner. I can't describe the feeling in my heart at the sight of the three of them. I always knew that Harry would make a wonderful father, and I was right. He's a natural. I listen to the tune he is singing, it's the song he used to sing to Arthur and Candace when they were little. He said he heard Seamus singing it once in the dormitories back at Hogwarts and it just kind of stuck.

Toora, loora, loora
Toora, loora, li
Toora, loora, loora
Hush, now, don't you cry
Ah,
Toora, loora, loora
Toora, loora, li
Toora, loora, loora
It's an Irish lullaby

Over in Killarney, many years ago
My mother sang this song to me in tones so sweet and low
Just a simple little ditty in her good old Irish way
And I'd give the world if she could sing that song to me this day

Toora, loora, loora
Toora, loora, li
Toora, loora, loora
Hush, now, don't you cry
Ah,
Toora, loora, loora
Toora, loora, li
Toora, loora, loora
It's an Irish lullaby

I wonder if Harry's mum sang to him when he was a babe. I'm sure she did, but I wish he could have known for sure. I know he misses his mum, even though he doesn't remember her. He misses the childhood that he was robbed of. I know he's going to make sure that his sons don't lose their innocence of youth, like he did. In some ways, this is his childhood too. It's like he lives vicariously through Arthur and Candace, and now through Alex and Drew.

We decided last night that we would call Andrew 'Drew' because 'Andy' sounds too much like 'Candi.' Well, we didn't necessarily decide, I did. I think. I may have dreamed it for all I know. I had a hard day yesterday, after all. Birthing twins is not exactly a walk in the park. I chuckle lightly to myself at my sleepy humor and see a pair of emerald green eyes smiling at me.

"G'morning, love."

"It's a very good morning," I smile back at him as I try to sit up further in bed. He stands up and brings my babies to me. Alex is wide-awake, while Drew is sleeping in the crook of his father's arm. I take Alex into my arms and he instinctively nuzzles to my breast.

"I guess someone is hungry." I look up at Harry and smile as I lift my gown to feed my son. I can't help but smile. I am so happy right now, looking at the love of my life holding Drew to his chest. I sigh at the wonderful feeling of a baby suckling on my breast. This is one of the most satisfying things for a mother. I look down to see Alex's little jaw moving with each suck, and feel the pull of the glands in my breast. I close my eyes and relax, reveling in the bond created between my son and myself.

I look up and meet Harry's eyes. He smiles and looks down at the sight of me feeding Alex. He has seen me breastfeed before, with both other children. I am not inhibited when it comes to something as natural as this. I lean up and capture his lips with mine.

"You are beautiful," he says against my lips. Love, is a simple word and cannot even come close to describing the look in his eyes. I feel cherished, adored, treasured.

Before I can pull him down for another kiss, there is a knocking at the door followed by a small voice saying, "C'mon Daddy, I want to see my brovers." Harry waves his hand lightly and the door swings open.

In a matter of milliseconds, Candace is up on the bed beside me watching Alex eat. "Mummy, he's so cute." I am glad that she is comfortable with what she is seeing. I tried to explain how the babies would be fed, but I didn't think she understood. We shall see.

"Candace, this is Alexander James Potter."

She looks at me strangely. "Potter? But I'm a Weasley." Her bottom lips sticks out, she seems distraught, heartbroken.

"Harry's their dad, Candi, and his last name is Potter. Just like Mum's is now. We are Weasleys because that what Dad's name is." Arthur is so smart. He is standing next to Harry watching as Drew wakes up. I look over at Candace and she still looks confused but shakes her head and gives up.

I look over at my eldest son, whose finger is being gripped by his little brother. "This little man is Andrew Sirius Potter," Harry says as Arthur leans over and places a soft kiss on the baby's forehead. I look around at the five of us and smile. This is my family.

Something catches my eye by the door, and I look over to see Ron standing there smiling. "Come over here, Ron. I want you to meet your godsons."

His eyes go wide. "Godsons? You want me to be their godfather?"

"Yeah, mate. Who else?" Harry asks as he places Drew in Ron's arms.

I never thought that Ron would be so surprised by this revelation. Who else would we have asked? Honestly. I look over to see my ex-husband, my best friend, wipe his eyes fiercely to hide the fact that he is crying.

"I- I don't deserve the honor." Ron turns to look at me. "Mione, I hurt you. You have to think that someone else might be more suited. I'm your ex. How strange is that?"

I look into his blue eyes and see his guilt and grief swimming in them. "Ron, you are my best friend. You are Harry's best friend. I trust you with my life and the lives of all of my children. Please, agree to this. I want to know that they will be taken care of, if something happens."

Ron's eyes dart between mine and Harry's before he wraps Harry in a fierce one-armed hug. "Of course I will." A small squeak comes from between the men's bodies. Andrew is starting to get hungry now. Harry swaps babies with me, and I put Drew to my other breast. We all sit around talking and laughing and cooing over the twins for quite a while.

Ron left sometime around lunch, when Harry took Candace and Arthur down to the cafeteria. I was left in my room alone with my two babies. I laid them on their backs between my legs on the bed. They automatically curled around each other, like they were in my womb. The bond between twins is astounding. I know from this moment that these boys will never be far from each other.

I think of Fred and George and how they used to finish each other's sentences. How they always seemed to know when something was wrong with the other. They were each other's best friends. I look down at my sleeping boys. They will be the same way, I just pray they aren't exactly like Fred and George. I don't think my voice would be able to stand all the howlers I would have to send.

I guess I fell asleep in the midst of my thoughts, because the next thing I know, Harry is kissing my hairline trying to wake me up. I look to where the boys were laying on the bed and they are gone. Where are my babies? I sit up and survey the room. My heart leaps at what I see in the rocking chair. Candi and Arthur are squashed together in the seat and each one is holding a baby. They look so cute. Candace is doing very well; we've been practicing with her dolls on how to hold a baby. She is supporting Alex's head and neck while whispering softly to him.

Harry sits on the side of the bed beside me and pulls me into his arms. I feel his soft lips against my shoulder before he rests his chin there. "Love you," he whispers.

"I love you." I sit there leaning back into my husband's arms watching my children sitting together. I feel a slight wetness on my shoulder where Harry's chin is resting. I turn my head to see tears falling unchecked down his cheeks. I kiss him lightly. No words need to be said. Words would only take away from it all. He nods toward the four kids and says, "Listen."

I strain my ears to hear Arthur singing lightly to his little brothers.

Toora, loora, loora…

*

A/N - Almost done. One more. Sorry. I hope you liked this one. I have been having problems concentrating. I have depression and my medication has been changed, and not for the better. So, needless to say, I am struggling. I hope to have the next/last chapter up soon. I am planning a sequel, but it may be a while before it is up, maybe a month or more. Thank you all for your support and reviews. I love you all.