Unofficial Portkey Archive

Anything for Love by coriander
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Anything for Love

coriander

Chapter 33

July 31, 2011. My thirty-first birthday. There's no party, no dancing. I am quietly celebrating my birthday with my wife over a glass of chardonnay on a picnic blanket in the back garden. My wife. I look over at Hermione, my best friend, my wife, my soul mate. She is the most beautiful creature on the face of the earth. My mind ventures over what the last year has brought me, and I smile.

Last year at this time, I was lying in my bed dreaming of my best friend. Wishing that she were mine, instead of Ron's. I still remember the look in her eyes as she sat slumped at my doorstep that night. I never want to see her like that again. I didn't mean to tell her that I was in love with her, but now, I wouldn't change a thing. She is mine for the rest of our lives.

I look out over the garden and into the sunset, which reminds me of color of Candace's hair. Speaking of the four-year-old, she is currently chasing the gnomes out of the garden. Her red curls are flowing behind her as she chases the ugly creatures. I couldn't help but laugh at her when one of the gnomes stopped and tripped her. She wasn't hurt, but she stood up and laid into the bugger with her most ferocious Hermione tone. I loved it.

My eyes catch a glimpse of movement above us and I look up to see my stepson chasing a charmed quaffle. Arthur is ten now, one more year until Hogwarts. I watch him proudly as he flies around on my Firebolt. Yes, Hermione finally gave in and let him fly an actual broom. He is quite good. He reminds me so much of his father and uncles. Arthur is unmistakably a Weasley, sans the red hair.

I love my family. Family. Honestly, I had almost given up on the idea of having a family. I could never see me with anyone other than Hermione, and she had been married to Ron. I couldn't picture myself having a family with anyone else. I honestly could never see myself in love with anyone else. This past year has brought me so much.

My thoughts are ceased at the sound of a shrill cry from inside the house. Hermione jumps up to fetch the crying baby. It sound like Drew from here, but I could be wrong. I watch the sun continue to fall behind the horizon as my son's cries are hushed and my wife appears with the baby in her arms.

"Come to Daddy," I say to Andrew as I reach out my arms to him. He smiles his toothless grin and reaches for me in return. I take my four-month-old son into my arms and blow raspberries over his cheeks. He laughs. I love the sound of my sons' laughs. Drew has more of a giggle, while Alex chuckles. I could live every day just on the happy sounds that my boys make.

Drew snuggles into my chest and I lay back so that he will go back to sleep. With a few strokes of my hand over his back, his breathing slows and his eyes close. Asleep. They are so precious when they are asleep. Well, they're precious all the time, but especially when they're asleep. I gently kiss the top of his head and Hermione reaches over and offers to take him back to bed.

"Just a little more, Mione. I love holding them like this." I close my eyes and concentrate on the feel of my son's heartbeat against my chest. It is soothing, calming. I could honestly fall asleep like this too.

My eyes open when I feel Hermione get up beside me. She starts to gather the picnic basket, wine and scones that we enjoyed earlier. The view of her backside bending to pack everything up is awakening certain areas of my body. I inwardly growl at my arousal, or at least at the cause of said arousal. She turns around and smiles. I guess my growl wasn't so inward.

I get up as she pulls on the blanket underneath me. I am careful as not to wake up the sleeping babe in my arms. Slowly, I carry him into the house and up to bed. The blue and green room that Arthur and I painted has become a sanctuary of sorts. Everyone seems to use this room as the 'comfort room.' Candi brings toys in and plays while Hermione feeds the boys. Arthur sometimes does his homework or reads in here while the twins are napping. Hermione has fallen asleep many nights just sitting in her rocking chair, rocking them to sleep. I just like to come in to stare at my boys.

My boys. I'm a father, a dad. It still is hard to believe. One year ago tomorrow, Hermione and I conceived the two beautiful boys lying in their matching cribs. One year. One year ago I was alone, that was until my mouth got away from me. I make a mental note to thank the fates again today for what I have been given.

I tuck Drew into his crib and cover him with his green blanket. It's kind of funny how the colors we picked match the boys' eyes; green for Drew and blue for Alex. We couldn't have picked any better. I lean over and kiss Drew's head before moving over to kiss Alex. Goodnight, little ones.

I turn around to meet the brown eyes of my beautiful wife. She is standing in the doorway watching me. My breath hitches at the sight of her leaning against the doorframe. She is gorgeous. She's not wearing anything extravagant or provocative, just jeans and a t-shirt, but she is sexy as hell.

"Happy Birthday, Harry," she whispers as I close the door to the nursery. "I'm sorry we didn't have a party this year."

"This is the best birthday I have ever had. Please, don't apologize. I don't need a party. I have all I have ever wanted right here in my house." Her lips find mine and I am lost. I back her up against the wall. Our tongues entwine and run sensuously together. My previous arousal has decided to make an encore appearance. I want to make love to her. I want to bury myself deeply in her and show her just how much I loved my birthday. The clearing of a throat brings us out of our hormonal haze. We look up to see Arthur smiling at us.

"Harry, we have a surprise for you downstairs." A surprise? I look at Hermione and she shrugs her shoulders innocently. Innocent my arse. I follow Arthur downstairs. He turns around and tells me to cover my eyes. I do as he says and follow his lead into the kitchen.

"Open them."

I open my eyes to see Candace holding a snitch-shaped cake that says 'Happy Birthday Dad' in bright red lettering. Dad? I look down at the little girl and ask her an unspoken question.

"Yes, it says, 'Happy Birthday Dad.' You're our dad too, you know," she says seriously. She is the spitting image of her mother, attitude and all. I smile through the tears trying to spill over. I take the cake and place it on the table, before capturing my two stepchildren in my arms.

"I love you two. Thank you."

Arthur smiles, "You're welcome Dad." I love the sound of that. I can't stop the tears from flowing freely. I look up at Hermione and see that her eyes are just as watery as mine. I kiss the two kids on the cheek, wipe my eyes and stand up to take a better look at the cake.

"I made it all by myself," Candace says proudly, but then whispers, "Artie turned on the oven and mixed it and poured it and baked it, but I did it all by myself." I chuckle. She is so damned cute.

"Well, I am sure it is delicious. Lets dig in."

The four of us sit around the table and eat the delicious cake that they made especially for me. This is definitely the best birthday I have ever had. I could never have imagined spending my birthday like this, but now, I don't know how else I would want to celebrate it.

We play a few games of Exploding Snap before sending the kids up to bed. Now, it's just me and Mione. I hear her footsteps on the stairs and turn to see the woman of my dreams standing on the bottom step. She has changed clothes. The jeans and t-shirt have been replaced by a slinky green negligee. The garment is sheer enough to see the hint of what is hidden, but not make out ever detail.

She smiles and sits on the piano. The piano. I remember making love to her on the piano, the night I proposed. I walk over to her and settle myself between her knees. My hands find her hips and I kiss her deeply. She pulls away, "Not yet, Mr. Potter."

What does she have on her mind? Her legs guide me to the side toward the keyboard. "Sit," she says as she pushes me down to the piano bench. I look at her curiously, but there is a fiery look in her eyes, one that I know not to question.

"You have the piano here for a reason, yet I have never heard you play it. Will you play for my, Harry?" I smile. No, I have never played for her. I am actually quite shy about my piano playing. I only learned to play by ear when Dudley was forced to take lessons.

I look into her eyes as I place my fingers on the keys. I take a few deep breaths and start to play the song that helped me get through being without her; the one we danced to last at the 'Fantasia Incantado.' My voice cracks as I start to sing softly.

If you're not the one then why does my soul feel glad today?

If you're not the one then why does my hand fit yours this way?

If you are not mine then why does your heart return my call?

If you are not mine would I have the strength to stand at all?

I never know what the future brings

But I know you are here with me now

We'll make it through

And I hope you are the one I share my life with

I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand

If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?

Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?

If I don't need you then why am I crying on my bed?

If I don't need you then why does your name resound in my head?

If you're not for me then why does this distance maim my life?

If you're not for me then why do I dream of you as my wife?

I don't know why you're so far away

But I know that this much is true

We'll make it through

And I hope you are the one I share my life with

And I wish that you could be the one I die with

And I pray in you're the one I build my home with

I hope I love you all my life

I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand

If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am

Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?

'Cause I miss you, body and soul so strong that it takes my breath away

And I breathe you into my heart and pray for the strength to stand today

'Cause I love you, whether it's wrong or right

And though I can't be with you tonight

And know my heart is by your side

I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand

If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am

Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?

My eyes never left hers throughout the song. She is my everything. I would do anything for her. I hope she realizes that. She slips down the front of the piano, over the keys, making a horrendous sound, before settling onto my lap. My arms wrap around her and my lips search for hers. I kiss away a few stray tears on her cheeks and I feel her pull me harder into her embrace.

"Thank you, Harry. It was beautiful. I love you."

"I love you, too"

I kiss her once more as I grind her into the straining bulge in my trousers. A soft moan escapes before she pulls back from me. I search her eyes. "Harry, will you sing for me again sometime?"

I smile. "I will do anything for you, love."

She smiles, stands up and pulls me upstairs to our room. I am going to show her how much I love her. I am going to make her feel what I feel when I am with her; all the electricity and magic that flows between us. I love her more than anything and I will do anything and everything for her.

Last year, at this time I would have done anything to have her. Now that I have her, I will do all I can to show her what she means to me. I will do all I can to make sure she is by my side for the rest of my life. I want to be with her to watch our kids grow up. I can't wait to see them off to Hogwarts, and then out into the world. I know that we have a long time until that happens, but I will show her everyday what she means to me. Everything.

*

Final Author's Note - Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I never expected to have such a response to this story. I have almost 500 reviews on ff.net, and over 650 on Portkey.org. I can't believe it.

I am happy, yet sad, to see this story end. I have an idea for a sequel that chronicles Ron's life two years after 'Anything for Love.' If it tells you anything, it will stay with the shipping requirements on Portkey.org. Shhhh. Don't give any more hints. LOL. It may be a while before I have it out. Harry and Hermione are easy to get into their minds, but Ron is a bit harder, not to mention his love interest. Give me a few months at least. My updates will be slow until I can get all the plot bunnies that are frolicking in my mind out on paper, or at least posted somewhere.

Please check out my homepage at home.earthlink.net/~icoriander for updates or to be added to my mailing list. I would love to thank everyone personally for their reviews and loving comments, but that would take forever. Please know that I love you all and appreciate your criticism and praise. Thank you again. Have I said thank you enough? If not, thank you.

Adios ~Coriander