Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Here's some of the fallout from Hermione's actions down in Hogsmeade- also, it's starting to bring them closer together. And Ginny may just realise Draco's not all he cracked up to be soon enough!

The rumours were flying thick and fast around the school about Hermione's impromptu striptease and it didn't take long for this news to reach the headmistress. Of course, the tale was also pushed further when Padma Patil reported it to the professor, who immediately called Hermione to her office.

"I must admit I was surprised to hear about this," McGonagall peered over her glasses at Hermione.

Hermione nodded, unable to meet McGonagall's gaze.

"I'd like to hear it from you whether this is true or not," McGonagall said gravely.

McGonagall wasn't just Hermione's professor, she was also her mentor. The idea that she'd disappointed her made Hermione sick to her stomach. She had no explanation for her behaviour. "Well, Professor," Hermione began.

McGonagall peered down her spectacles again. "Miss Granger... if this is in fact true, we may have to rethink your position as Head Girl. We need someone the students will listen to and respect."

Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes. Seven years of hard work were about to be thrown away because of one mistake. "Professor, I am someone my fellow students can listen to and respect. I've been a model student..."

"Tell me what happened," McGonagall said quietly.

"Professor, it was just---"

The door swung open, startling both of them.

"Mr. Potter!" McGonagall exclaimed. "You scared us half to death!"

"Sorry," Harry apologised. "Um... might I have a word, Professor?"

Hermione glared at him. Hadn't he done enough already? Was he here to rub salt in her wounds?

"I'm meeting with Miss Granger right now," McGonagall replied. "I'll be happy to meet with you afterwards."

"It has to do with Gra-- Hermione." Harry replied. "Please, Professor..."

McGonagall let out an impatient sigh. "Fine, Mr. Potter. What do you have to say?"

"It wasn't her fault, that she got pissed," Harry said, much to Hermione's shock. "I um... I put the liquor in her drink."

"Mr. Potter?" Professor McGonagall asked. "Why would you do that?"

"A joke," Harry said, looking at the floor.

Professor McGonagall studied him for a few moments. "I'm very disappointed in you. Your little joke wasn't very funny, Mr. Potter. Miss Granger could have lost her position as Head Girl. I will be sharing this with the headmaster."

Harry nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

"You will also be serving detention," McGonagall said sternly. "One week with me, for two hours after dinner. And next Saturday you will be serving all day with Professor Snape. I'm sure he can find something for you to do in the dungeons."

Again, Harry nodded.

Hermione gaped at him. Why was he doing this?

"Dismissed," McGonagall said. "And you too Miss Granger. I advise you to be more careful about what you drink in the future."

"I will," Hermione said quietly. "Thank you, Professor."

McGonagall nodded and the two seventh years left the office.

Hermione waited until they were far down the corridor before she spoke. "Why did you do that?"

Harry shook his head. "Guess I'm a glutton for punishment," he said sardonically.

Hermione touched his arm. "You lied for me."

"Yup," Harry said coolly.

"Why would you do that?" Hermione asked him again. "You didn't put anything in my drink, Potter. You ordered it for me, yes, but---"

"Look, I didn't want you to lose your position as Head Girl, okay?" Harry replied. "Let's just leave it at that. You don't owe me anything. We don't have to bother with each other anymore."

"She might have expelled you for that," Hermione said not really ready to let this go. "Potter..."

"I have to go," Harry replied, walking away from her. "Later, Granger."

Hermione stared after him. She couldn't wrap her head around the fact that he'd covered for her, especially with how they'd ended things in Hogsmeade.

"Why can't I figure you out?" she asked softly.

She knew she should just accept this and move on, but she couldn't do that.

She was heading back to the common room to make sure everything was okay before going up to her own room when Ginny approached her.

"Hermione, we have a bit of a problem..."

"I'll say," Hermione replied absently.

The redhead sighed. "I thought if we both went out on dates, this stupid pact thing would be broken. But when Draco tried to kiss me, we both went flying backwards, again, and then he tried to ask me out and I couldn't say yes!"

"I told you this probably wouldn't work," Hermione said to her friend. "Look, maybe this is for the best...'

Ginny huffed. "I'm not going to accept that. You may be fine with being a spinster, but I'm not!"

"What would you have me do?" Hermione asked warily.

"Go out with Harry again?" Ginny asked. "I don't know. Maybe we should go talk to Dumbledore about this some more."

Hermione shook her head. "We had what could only be described as the worst date in the history of dating. I don't think he'd be acceptable to another date and I know I'm not. Look, Ginny, I went out with him once for you, but I'm not going to do it again."

Ginny glared at her. "Thanks for nothing, Hermione."

"Even if I wanted to, Harry wouldn't say yes to another date," Hermione said. She briefly filled her friend in on what had happened. "And just now, he covered for me..."

"He did that?" Ginny asked, wide eyed. "He lied to Professor McGonagall?"

Hermione nodded. "And I can't figure out why."

"Look will you at least go with me to talk to Dumbledore again?" Ginny asked. "Maybe he knows some more on how to break the pact."

"Okay," Hermione relented, figuring she could at least do that for Ginny.

"Thank you," Ginny was relieved. "He's in his office now."

"Okay," Hermione said quietly. "Let's go."

"So… about what happened at The Three Broomsticks today," Ginny said. "We um... came in near the end of things."

Hermione blushed. "Oh?"

"It's all anyone could talk about," Ginny told her.

"You'd think people would have better things to do with their time," Hermione said shaking her head. "People act as if I'm the first person in the world to get pissed!"

"Well..." Ginny said hesitantly. "You're probably just one of the last people they thought would SEE get pissed."

Ginny had a point, but Hermione didn't want to get into that. "Well, the important thing is that Harry told McGonagall that I wasn't responsible."

"That was nice of him," Ginny said softly.

"He must have had an ulterior motive," Hermione said.

"He's really not a bad person," Ginny told her. "I've known him for a long time now."

"Then why haven't YOU dated him?" Hermione asked. "I'm sure everyone around here would think YOU were his perfect woman."

"If you'd said that a few years ago I'd have jumped at the chance," Ginny told her. "But Harry's like a brother to me now."

Hermione stopped walking and looked at her friend. "I can't figure him out, Ginny. He has that whole mysterious thing going on and all the girls here eat it up. He could have any one of them and he's suddenly interested in me?"

Ginny shrugged, choosing not to mention that Draco knew about the pact and possibly could have gotten Harry to ask her out. "Maybe he sees something in you that others don't. You're not quite the person you make yourself out to be."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hermione asked.

"I just mean that you act like you're so hard when you're really not." Ginny covered. "You were always nice to me, but you don't get along with Ron... you're friends with Neville, and you stick up for him when people take the Mickey. You're not as mean as you want people to think you are."

Hermione glared at her. "That's not how I am at all, Ginny. I just don't like to waste time--mine or anyone else's."

"Fine," Ginny sighed.

They arrived at Dumbledore's office and Ginny looked expectantly at her friend. "What's the password?"

"Pepper Imps," Hermione muttered quietly.

A few moments later, Ginny and Hermione were sitting in front of Dumbledore's desk.

"What brings you two by?" Dumbledore asked.

"Well," Ginny said when Hermione remained silent. "We were sort of hoping you could tell us more about that pact."

"She's asking because even though we both went on dates Ginny still wasn't able to---that is she still wasn't able to---" Hermione said feeling more than a little embarrassed to be talking about this subject with the most powerful and intelligent wizard in the world.

Ginny was also blushing. "I can't kiss anyone, and I can't seem to say yes when asked for another date." She too was embarrassed talking to the headmaster about this but there was no one else to turn to.

"I take it your date didn't go that well, Miss Granger?" Dumbledore asked.

Hermione looked away, unable to meet his gaze. He had obviously heard what had happened.

"I just don't understand," Ginny was frustrated. "We did what we were supposed to do!"

"It's me, isn't it?" Hermione asked finally looking up. "I have to do everything first and if I don't...."

Dumbledore waved his hand and the pact appeared on his desk. "It seems that way, yes."

Ginny put her head in her hands. "Great."

"If I'm reading this correctly, the only way to break this pact is for one of you to fall in love," Dumbledore said.

"Me?" Hermione asked.

"Either of you," Dumbledore replied.

"That's easy then," Ginny jumped up. "I can fall in love!"

"Draco Malfoy is incapable of loving anyone but himself," Hermione said angrily.

Ginny sent her a glare.

"The only way to break this is to fall in love, truly," Dumbledore said.

Hermione nodded. "I see."

"I'll break this pact then," Ginny said decidedly. "It won't be as hard as I thought."

"I wish you both luck," Dumbledore said.

"We're sorry to have bothered you sir," Hermione said, standing up.

Ginny followed Hermione out of the office, feeling much better. "This is going to be easy peasy, Hermione. I'm almost there with Draco."

Hermione shook her head. "He's a monster, Ginny. I don't know why you can't see that."

"I see something no one else does," Ginny said. "He's different when we're alone." For a brief moment, she thought about how he'd basically ignored her most of their date at Hogsmeade, but that was to be expected. He was a popular guy after all.

"Humph..." Hermione crossed her arms. "Don't say I didn't warn you then."

"I'll catch up with you later," Ginny said. "I need to go to the library to meet up with Sarah. Thanks for going with me to see the headmaster, Hermione."

Hermione simply nodded before resuming her path to the common room.

The moment she walked into the common room, the chatter stopped and everyone looked at her.

Hermione glared back at each and every face that was turned her way. "If anyone even MENTIONS that day, they'll be docked twenty points."

"It'd almost be worth it," Ron whispered to Harry.

"Shut up," Harry said irritably.

"I didn't mean to insult your girlfriend," Ron said returning his attention back to the chessboard.

"She isn't my girlfriend," Harry snapped.

"Best news I've heard all day," Ron said making a move. "Check."

Harry kept one eye on Hermione as he absently made a move on the chessboard.

"When are you ever going to learn?" Ron asked gleefully. He moved another piece and smiled triumphantly at Harry. "Checkmate."

"I hate this game," Harry complained.

"That's because you always lose," Ron said setting up the board again.

"Whatever," Harry sat back. "I have better things to do."

"One more game," Ron said. "Come on, mate."

Harry was still watching Hermione and didn't answer him.

Ron followed Harry's gaze and sighed. "You, my friend, have it bad."

"I do not," Harry snapped. "I'm just... concerned."

"Over her?" Ron guessed.

"So why won't you talk about what happened with Luna?" Harry abruptly changed the subject.

"Same reason you don't want to talk about Hermione, I suppose," Ron said quietly.

"I told you to just speak up," Harry said.

"I tried, but then Ernie Macmillan showed his ugly mug," Ron said.

"He's a git," Harry said. "I don't like him one bit."

"Tell me about it," Ron said quietly. "And you should have seen him trying to worm his way in on my kind-of date."

"What did she have to say about it?" Harry asked.

"She was all for him riding back with us but then when he told her that he fancied her, she asked him if he read her dad's paper," Ron said smiling at the memory of it. "And then he had to admit he hadn't. She didn't like that."

"Well there you go," Harry said encouragingly. "I can't remember the last time you missed a Quibbler."

"Yes, but any progress I made went out the door when we came back and heard about Hermione's little dance," Ron said grumpily. "She got all spare on me because I was happy that perfect Granger had gotten into trouble."

Harry shook his head. "Finch Fletchley and Padma couldn't wait to come back here and nark her out."

"Padma wants to be Head Girl and her little lap dog wants to make that happen for her," Ron said. "I'm sure they're not going to be happy to find out you stepped up and took the blame."

"They'll have to deal with it," Harry shrugged as Hermione finished her sweep of the common room and disappeared into her own dormitory.

"And so will you," Ron said putting away the board. "Detention with Snape and McGonagall. You have to fancy someone to put up with that type of punishment."

"I do not fancy her," Harry snapped. "I just felt bad."

"Okay, okay," Ron said holding up his hands.

"I have to go get some homework done," Harry got up. "I'll see you later."

"See you," Ron said.

Harry headed to the dormitory he shared with his mates and got his books. He figured he should get a head start on his work since he'd be serving detention every night for the next week.

*** *** ***

Ginny spent the rest of her weekend thinking of ways to get Draco Malfoy to fall in love with her. She knew it wouldn't take much. He was nearly there and so was she, come to think about it. Just last night after dinner, he'd walked her back to Gryffindor Tower and they'd had a nice talk. She knew the fact that they couldn't get physical with each other was frustrating for him, but he really was being a perfect gentleman about it.

On Monday afternoon after classes let out, she found herself walking toward the pitch. It wasn't because she had practise, but because she wanted to support Draco. She thought it'd be a wonderful surprise for him since she hadn't seen him since lunch.

She approached the pitch, smiling when she saw him already in the air. She took a seat in the Gryffindor stands, pulling her cloak around her.

He really was an amazing player and she watched him pull off some amazing moves.

Ginny had never liked playing Slytherin- mostly due to the fact that they played dirty- but now that she was dating Draco, she wondered how different the match would be.

She knew he'd taken some grief from his mates for going out with her, but he'd handled it perfectly. It was one of the things she liked most about him. He did what he wanted and he didn't care what other people thought.

She waved happily when he caught sight of her and was thrilled when he flew down to her.

"Red," Draco hissed. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Ginny's smile faltered. "I came to see you, Draco."

Draco hovered in front of her. "As much as I love seeing your pretty face, you're going to have to go."

"Why?" Ginny asked.

"You're the enemy," Draco said with a cocky grin. "You might steal secrets and tell them to your team mates. We can't have that."

"I wouldn't do that," Ginny objected.

"Well, I know that," Draco said smoothly. "But you know how those blokes are up there. They asked me if I'd get you to go. Besides, it's chilly out here. I don't want you freezing your bum off out here."

"I'm okay," Ginny said. "I've got my cloak... I just want to see you, that's all."

"You know there is a way around this," Draco said reaching forward and taking her hand. "You could stop playing for Gryffindor."

"No way," Ginny said with a grin.

Draco smiled. He didn't tell her how he really felt. Girls weren't meant to play Quidditch. He'd find some way to get her off that team. "So how are Potter and Granger getting along?"

Ginny shrugged. "Not that great. They haven't really spoken to each other."

"That's too bad," Draco said. Normally he wouldn't care one jot about either of them, but if the two of them didn't get together, he wouldn't be able to get together with Ginny. It was frustrating to not be able to even snog her, but that was why he had Pansy Parkinson. Of course, Ginny didn't need to know that.

"I'm working on her," Ginny said. "And as soon as she caves, I'll let you know."

"That's my girl," Draco said giving her hand a squeeze. "I'm going to get back to practise. Go on back to the castle."

"Will we do something after dinner?" Ginny asked, not wanting to leave just yet.

"Sure," Draco said thinking he could put off his date with Parkinson until after curfew. "I'll plan something for us."

"I can't wait," Ginny said, an excited flutter in her stomach. "I'll see you later..."

"Later, Red," Draco said before taking off.

Ginny watched him go for a moment before turning away and heading back down the stands and towards the castle.

She had an essay due for Charms and she thought she could at least get some of her research in before dinner. She walked quickly to the library and stopped in the doorway when she caught sight of Neville. He was sitting by himself looking to be in deep concentration. Ginny was about to approach him when she saw Susan Bones come up behind him, putting her hands over his eyes.

"Guess who," Susan said with a giggle.

"The girl who saved my life?" Neville asked turning around and smiling at the Hufflepuff.

"You give me too much credit," Susan replied with a grin.

"Your Potions notes saved me this morning," Neville said reaching into his bag and handing them back to her. "Thanks to you, Snape picked on someone else."

"Anytime," Susan said lightly. "Glad to help out a friend in need."

"I'll pay you back, I promise," Neville said touching her arm.

From her vantage point, Ginny frowned. Susan Bones? Susan Bones was the girl that Neville fancied?

"Next time I need notes for Herbology, you're my guy," Susan nodded.

"Speaking of which," Neville said scooting his chair closer to hers. "Can you make any sense out of this?" He pushed his book over so she could see what he was talking about.

Susan put her head down and looked. "I'm not sure..." she replied.

Ginny stared at them. There wasn't any need for them to sit THAT close.

"I've never seen that particular herb mentioned before," Neville said to Susan.

"Me either," Susan nodded. "Let's look it up and see what it does."

Neville pulled another book out and together he and Susan pored over it.

"Miss Weasley," Madam Pince said tapping her on the shoulder. "Either come in or don't, but please do not block the door."

"Sorry," Ginny said quietly, moving aside.

Neville excused himself to go and find another book that might help them and Ginny sauntered over to the table, eager to see what was going on with Susan and Neville.

"Hello, Susan," Ginny said forcing a smile on her face.

Susan looked up. "Oh... hi Ginny."

"You and Neville sure looked hard at work," Ginny commented.

"We're going to find out what this herb is," Susan showed her the book. "Any idea?"

Ginny looked at the page and shook her head. "I think that's too advanced for me."

Susan nodded. "Right..."

"So," Ginny said trying to stay nonchalant. "Are you seeing anyone now?"

"Not at the moment," Susan shook her head. "Why do you ask?

"I was just curious," Ginny said. "I thought I heard something about you fancying Seamus Finnigan."

Susan blushed deeply. "Um..." she began but was luckily interrupted by Neville's return.

"Hi, Ginny," Neville said warmly.

Ginny smiled back. "Hey Neville."

"I couldn't find that book, Susan," Neville said sitting down. "I think I'll just ask Professor Sprout tomorrow in class."

"Good idea," Susan agreed.

"Neville, do you know if Seamus is dating anyone?" Ginny asked abruptly.

"Um, well, I think he's interested in Hannah Abbott," Neville said wondering why she'd ask that. "They went to Hogsmeade together."

"They did?" Ginny asked, a surprising sinking feeling in her stomach.

It was all starting to make sense to Ginny. Susan fancied Seamus. Neville had told her that the girl he liked was interested in another bloke. But the knowledge that she knew who the girl was didn't make her feel any better. Susan and Neville were all wrong for each other.

"I see," she said quietly. "Um... I can see I'm intruding so--"

"No, you stay," Susan said. "I have to go. I'll see you later, Neville. Bye, Ginny."

"Let me know if you need those notes," Neville called after her.

Ginny was silent as she looked down at the table.

"So how have you been?" Neville asked her.

"Good," Ginny looked up. "And you?"

"Pretty good," Neville said smiling at her. "You look....you look really pretty today."

Ginny was pleased at his compliment. "Really? That's so sweet of you to say."

Neville blushed. "I think you look pretty everyday."

Ginny also blushed. "Well I try..." she joked.

Neville reached over to get the book and his hand brushed against Ginny's.

Ginny bit her lower lip when his skin touched hers. "Um... so..."

"Sorry," Neville saw drawing his hand back.

"It's okay," Ginny said quickly. "So... we have an exam coming up in a few days in Herbology. Will you help me study?"

"Sure," Neville said. "You guys are on Chapter Three right now, right?"

"Right," Ginny nodded.

"Those healing herbs," Neville said taking her textbook and opening it up to the chapter.

"Are they hard to remember?" Ginny asked.

"The bad thing is that there are so many," Neville said.

"Do you think I'll be able to get them all memorized?" Ginny asked.

"You don't give yourself enough credit," Neville told her. "You're very smart, Ginny."

"I just hope Professor Sprout agrees with you." Ginny replied.

"I'm sure she does," Neville said softly. "And I'm really glad that you asked for my help."

"You're the smartest bloke I know," Ginny said sincerely.

Neville beamed at her. "Thanks."

"And I'm so glad you agreed to help me." Ginny added.

"I'd do anything to help you," Neville said softly.

Ginny felt quite pleasantly warm as she smiled at him. "Um... perhaps during dinner we can study? I'd say afterwards, but Draco and I are going to do something."

Neville frowned at the mention of Malfoy. "Sure," he replied.

"Great," Ginny replied. "I'm a bit nervous about this exam."

"You're going to do fine," Neville reassured her. "I know it seems like a lot to remember, but the key is to group the similar ones together."

"I'll keep that in mind," Ginny said grateful for the tip.

Neville pulled out a piece of parchment and started writing down the herbs in groups of six. Ginny studied him as he wrote.

He had changed so much since her first year there. He had been the chubby, shy insecure little boy. Now he was still shy, and slightly insecure, but he was really rather fanciable in his own quiet way.

"This should help," Neville said sliding the piece of parchment over to her.

Ginny looked at the parchment. "I think this will," Ginny said with a smile. "I'll make sure I study this right up until we have to take the exam."

"I can quiz you on them later if you'd like," Neville offered.

"How about tomorrow?" Ginny asked. "Gives me a chance to study."

"Sure," Neville started to agree. "Wait...I can't tomorrow."

"Why?" Ginny asked before she could stop herself.

"Oh, well, Susan and I are studying tomorrow night," Neville replied.

"I see..." Ginny nodded. "Some other time."

"She's really been a big help to me," Neville said. "Especially in Potions."

Ginny couldn't even begin to fathom why she was suddenly jealous of the Hufflepuff. "That's really nice..."

Neville nodded and picked up Ginny's textbook.

"So, she's the one?" Ginny asked.

"What?" Neville asked. "One what?"

"The one you fancy," Ginny said quietly.

"Susan?" Neville asked. "No... we're just friends."

Ginny brightened. "Oh? Well, that's fantastic!"

Neville looked at her bemusedly.

"Um, well I just mean that I don't see you with someone like her," Ginny said hastily.

Neville shrugged. "I guess..."

"We should get back to work," Ginny said a little unnerved by her jealousy.

"Sure," Neville nodded. "If you like." he smiled at her.

"I like," Ginny said smiling back at him.

"You'll get this," Neville assured her. "Trust me, once you get the names down, you're in."

Ginny leaned across the table and pecked him on the cheek. "Thank you, Neville. I appreciate it."

Neville's face nearly turned purple. "S--sure..." he stammered.

"And maybe later we can go and check on my mandrakes," Ginny said. "I want to make sure they're behaving themselves."

"You want to go see Mildred?" Neville asked jokingly.

"Don't forget Manny," Ginny giggled. "I think he has a bit of a crush on Mildred."

Neville shook his head, amused.

"You're laughing at me, aren't you?" Ginny asked.

"Nope," Neville replied, his mouth twitching.

"You so are," Ginny said balling up a piece of parchment and throwing it at him.

Neville caught it and lobbed it back at her.

"Oh, now you've asked for it," Ginny said throwing it back at him.

"You throw like a girl," Neville joked.

"I am a girl," Ginny said kicking his leg under the table.

"Ow!" Neville said loudly. Madam Pince glared at the two of them.

Ginny bit her bottom lip to keep from laughing.

"That really hurt," Neville said in a more hushed tone.

"I'm sorry," Ginny whispered.

"Don't tell anyone," he whispered back. "Wouldn't be able to live it down."

"It'll be our little secret," Ginny promised.

Neville nodded. "Good."

Ginny smiled at him. She was glad she didn't know who this other girl was. Right now, she was happy to have Neville all to herself.