Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

Big revelations happen in this chapter- and we ARE approaching the end. Next chapter has the Yule Ball, so enjoy this one ;)

"N--no..." Ginny stammered.

"Liar," Draco grinned down at her. His face was inches away from hers.

"I want you to leave me alone," Ginny said. "I don't like you. I love Neville."

Draco froze. "What?"

She hardly realised what she had just said. "I don't want you," she repeated.

"No," Draco said angrily. "You love...Longbottom? Red..."

"It shouldn't matter to you how I feel about Neville," Ginny tried to push past him.

He grabbed her arm again. "Do you have any idea who I am? You should be on your hands and knees thanking your lucky stars that someone like me is interested in the likes of you…"

"The likes of me?" Ginny yanked herself free. "You've got to be kidding!"

"You're a Weasley," Draco said disdainfully.

Ginny rolled her eyes. "I'm going now."

"Red?" Draco called after her. "You're going to pay for this. No one turns me down. No one."

"And what are you going to do?" she asked angrily.

Draco laughed. "Wouldn't you like to know? Good night, Weasley."

Ginny rolled her eyes and headed in the opposite direction. "Wanker," she muttered to herself.

Hermione had just finished her rounds and she caught up with Ginny at the entrance to Gryffindor Tower. "Hey, stranger," Hermione said to her friend.

"Hi," Ginny responded.

"Belladonna," Hermione said giving the Fat Lady the password.

"Thank you dear!" the portrait swung forward.

"Can I talk to you?" Ginny asked.

"Sure," Hermione replied. "Do you want to go to my room?"

Ginny nodded. "That'd be great."

Hermione led the way upstairs. "So what's going on?"

"Malfoy," Ginny said. "He sort of threatened me."

Hermione ushered her friend inside. "Tell me everything."

"He cornered me outside the library," Ginny began. She told Hermione everything that had transpired.

"That bastard," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Do you think he'd really do anything?" Ginny asked. "To me or to Neville?"

Hermione shook her head. "He's all talk, Ginny."

"There was also something else I said, that I didn't even realise until the words were out of my mouth," Ginny turned pink. "Hermione, I think I'm in love with Neville."

Hermione smiled. "That's great, Ginny."

"I remember what Dumbledore said," Ginny recalled. "That true love would break the pact." Both girls looked at each other as if a large, heavy weight had been lifted from their shoulders.

Hermione had to sit down as she realised what this must mean. If Ginny had fallen in love with Neville, this meant that she was in love with Harry.

"Hermione do you think that we broke the pact?" Ginny asked excitedly.

Hermione nodded. "I--I think we did."

"How do we find out?" Ginny asked. "Wait... do we both have to fall in love? Does that mean you're in love with Harry?"

"I think so," Hermione said feeling a myriad of emotions as she realised what she'd been feeling. How long had it been like this? She couldn't remember. "I do. I love, Harry."

Ginny shrieked and hugged her. "This is so great, Hermione!!"

Hermione hugged her friend. "I'm scared though, Ginny."

"Why?" Ginny asked.

"There's something you should know," Hermione said quietly. "The reason why I kind of shut myself off from everyone."

Ginny sat back and looked at her expectantly.

"I'm not proud of this," Hermione said not really wanting to relive the whole experience again, but knowing that she needed to tell Ginny where she was coming from. "A couple years ago, I developed feelings for someone..."

"Who?" Ginny asked, bewildered. "You didn't fancy my BROTHER, did you?"

"Merlin, NO!" Hermione exclaimed. "NO!"

"Who then?" Ginny asked.

Hermione turned red. "Um... Malfoy."

"MALFOY?" Ginny screamed.

"Shhh!" Hermione hissed. "Ginny, I told you I wasn't proud of it."

"You and Malfoy?" Ginny asked when she'd calmed down. "Why?"

"I imagine it was just like how it was for you," Hermione told her. "He said all the right things. He was charming and kind. I thought he cared about me. He invited me to the Yule Ball our fourth year."

"I didn't know that," Ginny said still trying to process this news.

"I didn't say anything to anyone," Hermione recalled the tale to her. "After all that... I don't know. I just couldn't take being hurt again."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Ginny asked.

"I didn't want to," Hermione said. "I didn't want to tell anyone. And I figured you had to find out how Malfoy was on your own."

"I'm sorry that he did that to you," Ginny said. "What a wanker!"

"Well, I learned my lesson... or so I thought." Hermione shrugged. "I just never thought Harry Potter would be interested in me. I think, until recently, we've said maybe ten words to each other."

"And look at you now," Ginny said dreamily.

"I can't believe it," Hermione started to laugh. "I'm in love, you know? I never thought I'd say that!"

"You're perfect for each other," Ginny said. "Just like Neville and me."

"Thank you Ginny," Hermione hugged her again. "You've... you've really made this year great for me."

"I think a certain black-haired boy with glasses had more to do with that than me," Ginny said with a grin.

"Yeah but if you hadn't encouraged me--" Hermione began.

"No," Ginny cut her off. "That was him."

"I'm really looking forward to the Ball," Hermione said. "Although I have to fix up my old robes. I never bought new ones."

"I'm sure Harry will love you in them," Ginny reassured her.

"He's seen me in them before," Hermione replied. "So I was trying to think of a way to spruce them up a bit."

"I might be able to help with that," Ginny said. "Can I see them?"

"Sure," Hermione pulled them out.

"Those are really nice," Ginny commented after giving them the once-over.

"Thanks," Hermione said. "They still fit, believe it or not."

"We could darken the colour," Ginny said thoughtfully.

"You think?" Hermione asked. "I was looking in a few magazines for some ideas... didn't really see anything though. I'm not exactly fashionable."

Ginny withdrew her wand and muttered a quick spell darkening the colour of her friend's dress robes. With another flick of her wand, she changed the neckline.

Hermione's eyes grew wide. "Ginny, that's gorgeous!"

"It is, isn't it?" Ginny said proudly.

"You're brilliant," Hermione said. "I can't wait to wear these!"

"You should wear your hair up," Ginny said.

"Okay," Hermione answered. "Will you help me?"

"Absolutely," Ginny replied. "It's going to be a special night. For both of us."

"I think so too," Hermione nodded.

"I just hope that Draco will leave us alone," Ginny said handing the robes back to Hermione.

"If he bothers you I'll talk to Dumbledore," Hermione hung them back up. "He's completely abusing his position as Head Boy."

"I'm sorry that you had to go through that," Ginny said quietly. "I had no idea..."

"Don't' be sorry," Hermione answered. "I'm just glad he didn't put you through it too."

"Me too," Ginny said. "Well, I am going to go to my room. Thank you for listening to me."

"You tell me if he says anything else to you," Hermione replied.

"I will," Ginny promised.

"Thank you for your help," Hermione said. "I really appreciate it."

Ginny opened the door to find Harry about to knock. "Oh...hello."

"Hi," Harry seemed surprised to see her there.

"Aren't you out past curfew?" Ginny asked teasingly.

"Still in Gryffindor," Harry joked. "I think I'm safe."

"I'll leave you in the capable hands of our Head Girl," Ginny said turning and winking at her friend.

Hermione blushed a deep red. "Good night, Ginny."

"Good night," Ginny said hitting Harry on the arm before closing the door on her way out.

"What um... what brings you up?" Hermione fumbled for words.

"Well," Harry said leaning against the door. "I have a problem."

"With what?" she asked.

"My bed," Harry replied. "It's really, really uncomfortable."

A smile touched the corners of her mouth. "I'm sorry to hear that. Anything I can do to help?"

"You do have a large, comfortable bed," Harry said motioning toward it.

"And no one to share it with, unless you want to help out," Hermione answered.

"So, we could help each other out," Harry said stepping closer to her. "Because a good night's sleep is very, very important."

"I completely agree," Hermione said softly.

He put his arms on her waist. "I missed you."

"It's only been a few hours since I saw you last," Hermione leaned against him.

"Too damn long," Harry said nuzzling her neck.

Hermione smiled. "You're totally right..."

"So what were you and Ginny talking about?" Harry asked.

"She was helping me with my robes for the ball," Hermione answered.

"It's only a few days away now," Harry said, his arms wrapped tightly around her.

"I can't wait," Hermione buried her face in his shoulder.

"I'm not that much of a dancer," he told her.

"Neither am I," she said. "But we can just sort of stand off to the side... and move around a bit... and people might think we're dancing."

Harry laughed. "We could do that."

"And maybe there will be some mistletoe," Hermione brushed her lips against his.

"We don't need mistletoe," Harry said grinning at her.

"We definitely don't NEED it," Hermione said with a smile. "It'll just be a good excuse to snog in public."

"Like this?" Harry asked before kissing her.

"Mmmmm..." she said deep in her throat.

"I love you," he said when they pulled apart.

"I..." Hermione wanted to say the same thing, and although she'd just told Ginny a few minutes before, she couldn't get the words out of her mouth.

The last thing he wanted to do was make her uncomfortable, so he gave her hand a squeeze. "We should get to sleep, eh?"

"Right," Hermione nodded.

Harry gave her another kiss. "In the nice, comfortable bed."

"I think you like my bed more than you like me," Hermione teased.

"You've figured me out," Harry said dryly.

"I knew it," Hermione reached into a drawer for her pyjamas.

Harry pulled back the covers. "You're not going to hold it against me?"

"I think I'll live," Hermione disappeared into her private bathroom to change.

Harry got into bed and leaned back against the pillows.

It didn't take her long to change and brush her teeth and then slide in next to him.

Harry took off his glasses and set them on the bedside table.

"You never told me what Professor Lupin said about that essay we wrote together." Hermione reminded him.

"Top marks," Harry replied. "The best I've ever done."

Hermione propped herself up. "Really?" she asked excitedly.

Harry grinned. "Yes and I couldn't have done it without you."

"I'm really proud of you," Hermione kissed him again.

"And I'm really, really glad that I have you," Harry said holding her close.

"You definitely do," Hermione answered, pressing her face into his shoulder.

"I never want to lose you," Harry said quietly.

She looked at him properly. "Why would you lose me?"

Harry hadn't realised he'd said that aloud. "I just----I don't want to do anything to screw this up. You're the best thing in my life right now."

"And you're the best thing in mine," Hermione pressed her lips lightly to his.

Harry knew he should say something then. He should tell her the truth, but he just couldn't do it. He knew that if he did tell her, she'd never forgive him or understand why he'd done what he had.

"I'm tired," Hermione said, unaware of his thoughts. "Let's get some sleep."

"Okay," he said, her head resting on his chest. He was suddenly wide awake.

A smile crossed her face as she closed her eyes. "Good night..."

"Good night," Harry whispered.

*** *** ***

Ron was pacing just outside the Great Hall a few days later. That damn package was supposed to have arrived three days ago. But, of course, just like everything else in his life, nothing was going to plan.

Luna had been avoiding him for the past few days, and he wanted to make sure they were still going to the Ball together. Ginny, after yelling at him about how daft he was, had showed him a magazine with a picture of some earrings she had all but ordered him to get for the Ravenclaw.

"Hello, Ronald," a soft voice said. Ron grinned. Luna must have already gotten the package. But, when he turned around, it wasn't Luna he saw.

Lavender beamed at him. "I thought you were going to wait for me."

"Uh... I forgot," Ron said lamely. "Sorry..."

"Its okay," Lavender said linking her arm in his. "Won-Won."

"Lavender," Ron pulled away. "You know that we're not--"

"Going to the ball together," Lavender finished for him. "But that's okay. Dean won't mind if I dance with you."

Ron cursed his own stupidity. A few months ago Lavender wouldn't have looked twice at him again and now here she was fawning over him once more. He hoped she wouldn't start spouting off about necklaces or any rubbish like that. "I'm going with Luna." he told her. "I... I like Luna."

"She's a very sweet girl," Lavender said. "But I'm sure she'll understand."

Ron opened his mouth to tell her something else, but Lavender pecked him on the cheek. "I have to dash but we'll talk again in class. Okay?"

"Whatever," Ron muttered.

Lavender brushed past him and into the Great Hall.

Ron quickly pushed her out of his mind. He hoped if the parcel would be delivered, the owl would know to find him out there and not in the Hall.

He worried that it wouldn't and the last thing he wanted was for the package to be delivered to someone else. It was late enough as it was. Taking a deep breath, he opened the doors and stepped inside. Thankfully, Lavender was at the other side of the room talking with some Hufflepuff girl.

"Did they come yet?" Ginny asked her brother when he sat down.

Ron shook his head. "No."

Ginny sighed. "Damn them..."

"What's this I hear about you and Lavender Brown?" Neville asked.

"We're not going out," Ron snapped irritably.

"You might want to tell her that," Ginny told her brother.

"I told her I liked Luna," Ron hissed. "As if I can't mess that up any more than I already have..."

"Well," Neville said as owls began their descent into the Great Hall. "The post is here."

Ron's head snapped up as he looked for any owls that might be heading for him.

To his delight, one of the owls deposited a small package in front of him. "It's about time!"

"Ooh!" Ginny squealed. "Let me see them, Ron!"

Ron handed her the box. "Do you really think she'll like them?"

Ginny grinned when she peeked inside. "She's going to love them. We have to write a note to go with them, and then one of us should sneak them onto her plate somehow."

"It can't be me," Ron grumbled. "The way my luck's gone, I'd probably trip over my own feet in the process and they'd end up in her water goblet and she'd swallow them..."

Ginny and Neville laughed. "We'll do it." he said. "I'll distract Luna and Ginny can slip it onto her plate when she's not looking."

"Great idea," Ginny beamed at him.

"Thanks," Ron said gratefully. "Now let's see if I can write a note, or if I can mess that up somehow too."

"Write from your heart," Ginny told him. "Tell her how you feel. How you really feel."

For once in his life, Ron ignored the food in front of him and concentrated on the letter. It was nearing the end of lunch before he finally handed a crumpled sheet of parchment to his sister.

"I'm proud of you, Ron," Ginny said stuffing the letter inside the box. "I really am."

"Really?" Ron asked. "You're not just saying that?"

Ginny shook her head. "I mean it."

"Thanks," Ron smiled crookedly. "Hopefully she's not too pissed at me."

"Ready, Gin?" Neville asked.

"Sure am," Ginny beamed at him.

Neville walked over to the Ravenclaw table where Luna was poring over the latest edition of her father's newspaper.

"Good morning," Neville said politely.

Luna looked up. "Hello Neville..."

"What are you reading about?" he asked.

"Nargles again," Luna replied. "They're so fascinating. I can't get enough of them."

Neville sat down on one side of her while Ginny approached from the other.

"Look at that photograph!" Neville asked taking the paper. "Whoa!"

"What?" Luna looked eagerly at it.

"That's a fantastic photo," Neville said. "It's just so....so....."

Ginny dropped the package on Luna's plate and then hurried back to the Gryffindor table.

"It's almost alive," Luna's eyes were bright. "I'm trying to get Daddy to let me have a Nargle for a pet, but so far, he won't budge."

Neville smiled. "Well, you should keep at him."

"I'll try," Luna turned back to her plate. "What's this?"

"I'm not sure," Neville lied. "Why don't you open it?"

Curious, Luna untied the ribbon around the box and lifted the lid. She gasped as she saw the large, sparkling earrings inside.

Neville stood up and quietly walked back to his own table.

Luna noticed a folded up piece of parchment in the box. She unfolded it and began to read.

Luna,

I've messed this up a thousand different ways, but I'm hoping that this time I can somehow tell you how I feel without making a fool of myself. You see, the truth is, that I fancy you. I have for a long, long time.

Her jaw fell open as she continued to read the messy scrawl.

I just never knew what to say or how to say it. All I know is that when I'm around you, I feel happy and as if everything in the world is okay.

"Me too," she whispered to herself.

If you feel the same way, and I really hope you do, then wear these to the Ball. I can't wait to see you there.

Luna looked up from the letter hoping to see Ron, but he was nowhere to be found.

She packed up her things, gazing at the pretty earrings before carefully placing them in her bag. She couldn't wait to see him tomorrow night.

Across the room, Harry was walking toward the door. Hermione was in the library working on an essay and hadn't had time for lunch. Harry hoped to surprise her lunch and he'd nicked a sandwich and some crisps for her.

"Where are you off to in such a rush, Potter?" Malfoy asked tapping him on the shoulder.

"Nowhere that concerns you," Harry responded acidly.

"Where's the Mudblood?" Malfoy asked. "Hmm? Did you do the honourable thing and confess everything?"

"You'd better keep your mouth shut," Harry said darkly. "If Ginny doesn't want you then there's nothing I can do. I did my part of the bargain."

"Granger's big on the truth," Malfoy said thoughtfully. "I imagine she'd not be that happy to hear the real reason you pretended to fancy her."

"I'm not pretending anything," Harry said through clenched teeth.

"Somehow," Malfoy said with a laugh. "I don't think Granger's going to see it that way."

Harry grabbed Malfoy's cloak by the neck. "You say one word, one fucking word--"

"Let go of me, Scarhead!" Malfoy retorted.

"Then don't say a word," Harry's eyes blazed.

"Mr. Potter!" Professor McGonagall crowed at him. "Let go of Mr. Malfoy right this instant!"

Harry released the other boy with a shove.

"Fighting is not acceptable," McGonagall lectured the two boys. "Am I understood?"

"Potter and I were just having a disagreement, Professor," Malfoy said innocently.

"Is this true, Mr. Potter?" McGonagall focused on him.

"Yeah..." Harry was still glaring at Malfoy.

"Professor," Malfoy asked his voice oozing with fake sincerity. "I told Potter that I thought that honesty was the best policy and he disagreed."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Whatever, Malfoy. Just stay away from me."

"I'm keeping my eye on you two," Professor McGonagall cautioned them.

Harry turned his back on them and stomped away. He hated that Malfoy had this hold over him. He really needed to find a way to tell Hermione what was going on in a way where she wouldn't hate him when he was done.

She was sitting at her favourite table in the library. Her face barely visible over a stack of books.

His whole body relaxed at the sight of her. Merlin, just watching her work made him want her all the more.

Hermione had just finished another foot of parchment when Harry set a sandwich down in front of her.

"Turkey, cheese and mustard on wheat," Harry said sitting down beside her.

"That's very sweet of you," she whispered. "But we're not allowed to eat in here, Harry."

"I won't tell if you don't," he answered.

"I am hungry," she admitted. "And that is my favourite."

"I know," he answered. "I'll keep an eye out for Madam Pince. You dig in."

Hermione set aside her papers and happily took a bite of the sandwich. She noticed that Harry was watching her with a strange expression on his face.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing," he answered after a moment.

"How's your revising going?" she asked him.

"Revising?" he asked.

"Your studying," Hermione replied. "Though....I must admit, I don't think you should study Divination. Complete rubbish, if you ask me."

Harry shrugged. "It's only another half a year."

"Trelawney is a complete nutter," Hermione said before taking another bite of her sandwich.

"It's entertaining... sometimes." Harry answered.

"I've overheard Parvati and Lavender talking about some of the things Ron comes up with in there," Hermione giggled. "Especially the one about him foreseeing himself with a harem who would wait on him hand and foot and feed him grapes."

Harry snorted. "He forgot to mention in his dreams."

Hermione laughed. "What kind of fortunes did you come up with for yourself?"

"That I'd be rich and famous," Harry answered drolly.

"With a harem of your own?" Hermione teased.

"Well that depends," Harry leaned forward. "Are you feeding me grapes?"

"No," Hermione giggled.

"Okay," Harry said. "No harem."

"Absolutely not," Hermione said grinning at him. "I don't want to share you with any other girls."

"You don't' ever have to worry about that." he said. "I love you."

Hermione felt like she would melt at his words. "Harry..."

"Yeah?" he asked softly.

It was on the tip of her tongue to tell him how she felt, but again, she just couldn't say it. "I---I wanted to thank you for the sandwich."

"You're welcome," he smiled at her. "Couldn't have you starving on my conscience."

Hermione leaned in and gave him a kiss. "My hero."

His grin broadened. "For another one of those I'll bring you dinner too."

Hermione laughed. "Well, I think that could be arranged."

Harry leaned in again but saw Madam Pince stand up at her desk. "We'd better not risk that here," he said softly.

Hermione nodded. "After our last class, perhaps?"

"I like that idea," Harry squeezed her hand.

"Tomorrow night's the ball," Hermione said. "I can't believe it."

"I didn't think I was looking forward to going," Harry said. "Until you agreed to go with me..."

"I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding a date," Hermione told him.

"Maybe not," he answered. "But finding a date with someone I genuinely enjoy being with? That's the challenge."

Hermione could still remember how hopeful and excited she'd been a few years ago before the Yule Ball. That night had ended in heartbreak before it had truly begun. She had a better feeling about tomorrow night. For the first time in her life, she was in love. For the first time, she trusted someone else with her heart. It was scary, but exciting all at the same time.