Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

This chapter was a long time in coming- and we think a lot of you are going to be very, very pleased with this one ;) Enjoy!

It had been a few weeks since Harry had spoken up and taken the blame for Hermione's actions. Neither of them had spoken to each other, although Hermione rather wished she knew what to do or say to thank him for helping her keep her position as Head Girl.

That Saturday he was due to serve his final detention with Professor Snape. Unfortunately, it was also absolutely gorgeous outside, with nearly every student taking advantage of the nice weather. This put Harry in a rather sour mood and he was currently sitting in Snape's dungeon with a few other students, helping the Potions master replenish his supply.

"Anything gets broken and we'll add an hour to the detention," Snape told him.

Harry glared at the older man. "I know how to make your stupid potion," he retorted.

Snape was about to say something back to Harry when he heard a knock on the door. He turned his head to see Hermione Granger standing in the doorway. "Good afternoon, Professor."

"Miss Granger," Snape nodded to her. She was actually one of his favourite students, even if he'd never admit it to anyone. "What can I do for you?"

"I have a project due for Hagrid's class and I was hoping you'd let me have some Wolfsbane," Hermione told him.

"I can spare a bit," Snape replied. "I'll get it for you."

He disappeared into his cabinet and Hermione quickly slipped something into the cauldron Snape was mixing in the front of the class. "Five minutes," she mouthed to Harry, who had seen her do it.

He couldn't imagine what she was doing. After all he'd done for her; he couldn't imagine that she'd do something to make things worse for him.

Snape came back out with a small jar. "Bring the remainder back next class."

"Thank you so much, Sir," Hermione said taking it from him. "I will."

Hermione gave Harry another look as she left the classroom.

"Get back to work, Potter," Snape growled.

Harry rolled his eyes and stirred his potion again, adding the ingredients as needed.

About five minutes later, Snape was stirring the ingredients in his cauldron, when it started to bubble.

"What the..." Snape muttered, turning to his book.

Harry watched as the cauldron started to shake. What had Hermione put in there?

A moment later he got his answer as the contents blew up towards the ceiling, covering Snape in thick, purple goo.

"Detention is cancelled!" Snape barked as some of the students began to laugh.

"No way!" one of the Hufflepuffs exclaimed excitedly. "Let's get out of here before he changes his mind."

Harry eagerly followed the rest of them out of the room, and to his surprise, saw Hermione waiting just down the corridor.

"You mind explaining to me what just happened?" Harry asked her.

Hermione smiled. "It's too nice of a day for you to spend in detention," she answered. "So I thought, since you helped me, I'd do something to help you."

Harry couldn't believe she'd done this. Hermione Granger didn't break rules and she'd just broken one---for him. "Thank you," he said quietly.

"I should be thanking you," she said, twisting her hands. "I mean... if it weren't for you, I could have lost my Head Girl position."

"I guess we're even," Harry said looking at her.

She nodded. "Um... right. Even."

"I'll see you," Harry said after a few moments of awkward silence.

Hermione nodded again, feeling oddly disappointed as she turned and started walking away.

Harry was thinking about getting outside and going for a ride on his Firebolt, possibly joining his roommates. But for some reason, he found himself turning around and calling out to the brunette. "Granger..."

"Yeah?" Hermione turned back.

"Have you eaten lunch?" Harry asked her.

"Not yet," Hermione answered.

"Neither have I," Harry told her. "Um...I could go to the kitchens and grab us some sandwiches if you wanted to..."

"Okay," she agreed tentatively. "We could um... go outside then? It's really nice out."

Harry nodded. "Why don't you go on ahead and find us a spot. I'll see what I can rustle up in the kitchens."

"I'll probably be down by the lake," Hermione told him, feeling a bit shy for once in her life.

"I'll find you," Harry promised. "I'll meet you outside."

"Okay," Hermione agreed. He smiled at her before heading off.

This wasn't really a date, Hermione told herself as she stepped outside. It was just a friendly gesture. Besides, she didn't want to date. It was pointless and a complete waste of time.

She silently apologised again to Ginny for not wanting to conform to the pact they had made. She was simply getting to know another fellow student better.

As she made her way down to the lake, she passed Justin Finch-Fletchley and Padma Patil. Hermione couldn't help giving them a triumphant look.

"You're lucky you had Potter taking the blame for your actions," Padma sent her an evil glare.

"Harry Potter has class," Hermione heard herself saying. "Unlike some people."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Justin got up and advanced towards her.

"You're a reasonably smart person, Justin," Hermione said defiantly. "Figure it out."

"You bitch," Justin snarled.

"Take another step and I'll take some points," Hermione replied.

"He takes another step and I'll kick his arse," Harry said coming up behind them, carrying a basket.

Justin knew he was outmatched so he only sent them another glare before going back to Padma.

"Thank you," Hermione told him. "Um...that was quick."

"I know Dobby pretty well," Harry answered. "He whipped this up in a second."

Hermione smiled at him. "I'm starving."

"Help yourself," Harry said as they sat down. "Whatever's in there, I'm sure it's good."

Hermione opened the basket and pulled out the plates. "This was a good idea you had."

Harry nodded. "I think I could live in the kitchens."

Hermione set a sandwich on each of their plates. "I know what you mean."

Harry watched her as she got the food out. "So..." he said, not really sure on how to carry on a conversation with her.

"I'm sorry about Hogsmeade," Hermione said. "I overreacted."

Harry nodded. "I'm sorry about the Firewhisky."

"We can put all that past us and start over," Hermione said.

"Okay," he agreed, still slightly wary. "We could do that."

Hermione took a bite of her sandwich, wondering what else to say.

"So..." Harry reached for one of the crisps on his plate. "Um... what do you normally do on Saturdays?"

"Well, I usually get up at around 7:30," Hermione replied. "If the weather's not too bad, I'll take a walk around the grounds. It's really invigorating."

Harry nodded. "For me, I usually like to fly. We should try that again sometime."

"I'd---I'd like that," Hermione said, surprising herself.

"Really?" he was pleasantly surprised. "You want to try flying again?"

Hermione nodded. "I enjoyed it. I mean more than I thought I would."

Harry grinned at her. "Good."

Hermione grinned back at him. "How's your sandwich?"

"Fantastic," Harry answered. "Yours?"

"Really good," Hermione said. She stifled a giggle. "Um, except...you have some mustard on your nose...."

"I do?" he asked, wiping at it.

Hermione laughed. "Yes..."

"Did I get it?" he asked.

"Yes," Hermione replied. She looked in the basket. "There are some more crisps in here. Would you like some more?"

"Sure," he answered, leaning back.

Hermione put some more on his plate. "I also saw where Dobby gave us some biscuits. Chocolate chip."

"Those are my favourite kind," Harry confessed. "Dobby always sneaks some to me."

"They're my favourite too," Hermione said. "But don't tell my parents that. They don't like me eating sweets."

"Why not?" he asked.

"Dentists," Hermione replied.

"Oh right," Harry nodded. "They want you to eat the sugar free sweets then?"

Hermione nodded. "So I have to sneak them when I can."

Harry laughed. "I never knew you were so rebellious." he joked.

"Don't let it get out," Hermione said pulling a serious face.

"It's our secret," Harry leaned forward and whispered.

For a split second, Hermione thought he was going to try and kiss her. She let out a nervous laugh. "Thanks..."

He smiled. "So after we finish up here, want to go for a walk? Or we could go flying again."

"A walk would be nice," Hermione replied.

"Good," Harry said, hoping to get her to open up even more.

"I can't believe we're having such nice weather," Hermione commented looking up at the cloudless sky.

"Especially now," Harry agreed, stretching out next to her. "It'll be winter soon enough."

"But you know it is nice sitting by a warm fire," Hermione said. "Reading a good book..."

"I don't really read a lot," he confessed.

"Most blokes don't," Hermione said looking sideways at him.

Harry grinned at her again. "Tell me something about yourself," he said unexpectedly. "Something no one else knows."

Hermione looked thoughtful for a few moments. "Um...well...when I'm at home....I like to watch old movies..."

"What's your favourite?" he interrupted.

"I have so many," Hermione replied. "I like a lot of Hitchcock films..."

"My favourite is Rear Window," Harry said. "One time, Dudley was watching it and he got so scared he nearly wet himself."

Hermione laughed. "Well, I'll have you know, I wouldn't take a shower for two months after I saw Psycho."

"You must have smelled horrible," Harry teased.

Hermione hit him playfully on the arm. "I bathed! I just did it really, really fast."

Harry laughed too. "Well, I wouldn't look at a bird for a month after seeing The Birds."

"Don't worry," Hermione said reaching into the basket for the biscuits. "I promise not to tell everyone that Harry Potter was afraid of birds."

"Just for a little while," Harry protested. "I'm fine now!"

"Sure," Hermione said nodding. She handed him one of the biscuits.

"If you tell anyone about the birds, I'll tell everyone you didn't shower," Harry stuffed the biscuit into his mouth.

"My lips are sealed," Hermione said before taking a bite of her biscuit.

Harry grinned again. "How about that walk?"

"Okay," Hermione said looking at him.

They dropped the basket off by Hagrid's hut then started back towards the lake. "Tell me something else about yourself," he said.

"Why do you want to know so much about me?" Hermione asked him warily.

"I'm just curious is all," Harry said.

"Trusting people isn't easy for me," Hermione said quietly.

"Why?" he asked. "I mean... did someone really hurt you?"

Hermione wasn't sure why she was telling him this. "A couple years ago, there was someone that I thought really liked me. He said all the right things. He did all the things you're supposed to do. He made me feel beautiful. I'd never felt that, you know?"

"Was it Malfoy?" Harry asked, point blank.

Hermione looked at him in surprise. "How did you---"

"Lucky guess," Harry shrugged. "He's a bastard. You deserve better than that wanker,"

"Thanks," Hermione said, looking away from him and folding her arms around herself.

"Not everyone's like him, you know," Harry said softly.

"I just don't want to take that chance again." Hermione still didn't look at him.

"You can trust me," he said moving behind her. "I wouldn't hurt you."

"I hardly know you," Hermione said, finally facing him.

"Get to know me," Harry said softly.

"H--How?" her voice quivered.

Harry touched her cheek. "I know a good way to start."

"You do?" Hermione asked, fully aware of how close he was right now. She had to admit he was extremely good looking, and the glow in his eyes was currently making her feel a bit weak kneed.

Harry nodded and leaned in. "Trust me, Hermione."

"I'm trying to," she whispered.

Given what had happened with Ginny when she'd tried to kiss Malfoy, Hermione wanted to warn Harry about what would happen if he tried to kiss her. But to her surprise, when he pressed his lips to hers, nothing bad happened.

Instead, she found her stomach fluttering madly as Harry's arms slid around her, pulling her closer to him.

"Is this okay?" he asked her, praying that she'd say it was.

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "Very okay."

He smiled at her before kissing her again.

This time she responded more, opening her mouth under his. She'd never been kissed before, but she followed her instincts.

"I've wanted to do that for quite some time," Harry said when they pulled apart.

"You wanted to kiss me?" Hermione blinked dazedly.

Harry rested his forehead on hers. "Mmmhmm."

Hermione gave him a tentative smile. "I've never been kissed before," she admitted. "I liked it."

Harry smiled back at her. "I'm glad I was the first."

She blushed at that.

Harry kissed her again. He couldn't help himself.

It was more passionate this time, and Hermione was surprised as Harry ran his hands up her back and into her hair.

He didn't want to push her further than she was ready to go, so reluctantly he broke the kiss. "I got carried away. I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Hermione said her arms around his neck. "I... I don't mind."

"I'm glad," he said holding her tightly. "You're amazing, Hermione."

A warm feeling flooded through her. "I am?"

"Yes, you are," Harry said softly.

"You aren't quite as vile as I thought you were," Hermione said before she could stop herself. "I mean--"

"I'm thinking you meant that as a compliment," Harry said grinning at her.

"I did," she shook her head. "It just didn't come out the way I wanted it to."

"Every bloke wants to hear that he's not as vile as the girl he fancies thinks he is," Harry teased her.

She laughed. "Okay... you're actually a pretty great guy. Is that better?"

"A little," Harry said. "But you could make it up to me..."

"How?" she asked, sliding her arms around him again.

"Like this," Harry said brushing his lips against hers.

"Oh..." she answered breathlessly. "I think I can do that..."

"I knew you could," Harry said kissing her deeply.

If he hadn't been holding onto her, Hermione was sure her legs would have given out right then and there. 'Is this what I've been missing all this time?' she thought.

The rest of the afternoon passed by in somewhat of a daze for the two of them. They did manage to get their walk in, stopping every few feet for a kiss. Hermione told him more about herself and he shared a little of himself with her.

"Maybe sometime," Hermione began. "If... if you feel comfortable enough, you can tell me about your battle with Voldemort."

"It's not something I like talking about," Harry said.

"I understand," Hermione said quickly. "Only if you ever wanted to."

"I've never talked about it with anyone," he admitted.

"Maybe it would make you feel better if you did," Hermione squeezed his hand.

Harry sat down with her under one of the trees. "I killed someone."

"He wasn't a person," Hermione said. "He was a monster."

Harry nodded. "Yeah, well, I keep telling myself that."

"Good," Hermione nodded. "You shouldn't feel bad. Think of how many people you've saved."

"It's hard to explain," Harry said quietly. "I don't even understand it myself."

Hermione nodded again. "I'm here if you ever do want to talk," she reached for his hand.

"I appreciate that," Harry said squeezing her hand. "That means a lot to me."

Her smile turned into a grin. "This has turned into a really nice day," she confided.

"It has," Harry agreed putting his arms around her.

Hermione rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm glad... I'm glad we've gotten to know each other." she said. "I feel sort of stupid for putting you off the way I have. I guess I just thought you had some ulterior motive is all."

Harry felt a twinge of guilt as he remembered his deal with Malfoy. But, he hadn't thought about that bet all day today. He'd just been caught up in the moment. He wasn't with her because of the deal. He was with her because he wanted to be.

"I'm just happy you gave me a chance," Harry said softly.

Hermione grinned at him. "Me too..." she leaned in and they kissed again.

"What are you doing tomorrow night?" Harry asked her.

"Studying, probably," Hermione answered. "Why?"

"Do you think you could take a break at around say eight?" Harry asked with a grin. "I know we can't leave the grounds, but I was hoping you'd agree to go out to dinner with me..."

"But you just said we can't leave the grounds," Hermione said.

Harry nodded. "I know this great restaurant in the Room of Requirement. It's very exclusive, but I think I can get you in."

A grin spread across her face. "Okay," she agreed.

"Okay," Harry said standing up and offering her his hand.

She took it as he helped her to her feet. "Suppose we should get back," she said reluctantly.

"Suppose so," Harry agreed.

"I don't want to go back," Hermione confessed. "I've been having too good a time out here."

Harry smiled at her. "Me too. We could just walk really, really slow back toward the castle..."

She laughed. "I like that idea."

"I like you," Harry said pulling her close.

Hermione smiled shyly back at him. "I like you too."

"Come on," Harry said, putting his arm around her. "Let's get you back inside."

They went back in, walking closely together. Hermione barely noticed the shocked glances of many of their classmates as they headed for the common room.

"So, would you mind if we walked to dinner together later?" Harry asked her.

"I'd like that a lot," she answered.

"So, I'll meet you down here at around six?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "Okay."

Harry gave her one last kiss. "I'll see you then. Thanks...thanks for today."

"Thank you... for giving me another chance too." Hermione said softly.

Harry squeezed her hand before heading upstairs to his dormitory.

Hermione watched him go before turning to look for Ginny. She located the redhead in the corner of the room, looking through a copy of Witch Weekly.

"Before you say anything," Ginny said not looking up from her magazine. "Yes, I realise I could be reading something more worthwhile and yes, I have finished my assignments for the weekend."

Hermione smiled at her. "Can I talk to you in private?"

Ginny closed her magazine. "Sure."

Hermione motioned for the younger girl to follow her upstairs to her private dormitory. "Um... I have something to tell you about our pact."

Ginny followed Hermione eagerly up the steps. Perhaps Hermione had figured out some loophole that would get them both out of this, Ginny thought happily.

Hermione didn't quite know where to begin once they were sitting in her bedroom. "Well..." she said. "Today I um... I got Harry out of detention and we wound up spending the day together."

Ginny gaped at her. "I thought you hated him..."

Hermione blushed, hard. "I... don't hate him."

"You're blushing!" Ginny exclaimed. "Hermione!"

"This all makes me so nervous," Hermione got up and began pacing. "I've never felt like this before."

"I knew you'd like him if you gave him a chance," Ginny said excitedly. "Oh, Hermione! This means Draco and I will be together!"

Hermione turned back to look at her. "Ginny... it's no secret that Draco and I dislike each other. I can't stop you from seeing him, but please, just be careful around him."

Ginny frowned. "I will. Let's not get into that since I know it's a sore subject with you. Tell me more about what you did..."

Hermione smiled again. "We kissed," she confessed.

Ginny put her hands on her hips. "But how? Every time Draco tries to kiss me, either he or I get thrown backwards..."

"I think it goes back to what Dumbledore told us," Hermione sat down again. "Since I was the one who initiated the pact, I have to... do things first."

Ginny hoped this meant that she would be able to kiss Draco now. "So, how was it?"

Hermione smiled thoughtfully. "It was sweet. He was so... gentle about it."

Ginny smiled at her friend. "Hermione, this is soooo great."

"I just didn't know who else to talk to about this," Hermione picked at a thread on her duvet. "You're pretty much the only girl I could ever confide in."

"I'm really glad that you did," Ginny said. "We're friends, Hermione."

"Thanks Ginny," Hermione said. "I'm finding that it's nice to have friends. It's nice to feel... well I guess for once I feel like a normal teenager."

"For once," Ginny said teasing her.

Hermione shook her head. "He wants to walk down to dinner together tonight. And then he asked me to have dinner with him tomorrow night in the Room of Requirement."

Ginny beamed at her. "That's so romantic!"

Hermione blushed again. "I hope so."

"I'm going to want details," Ginny told her.

"Will you help me get ready tomorrow?" Hermione asked her. "I'll understand if you're busy…"

Ginny shook her head. "I'm not too busy and I was going to offer before you asked me. I'd love to help you."

Hermione gave her a hug. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Ginny told her. She pulled away and looked at her friend. There was something that had been bothering her all day and she hoped Hermione could put her mind at ease. "Um, you know Susan Bones pretty well, don't you?"

"Sort of," Hermione answered. "Why?"

"Do you ever see her hanging around Neville?" Ginny asked.

"I think they study together once in awhile," Hermione answered.

Ginny rolled her eyes. "I can just imagine what SHE wants to study."

Hermione gave her an odd look. "They're just friends. Personally I think she fancies Blaise Zabini."

"I heard it was Seamus Finnigan," Ginny said frowning. She didn't realise it, but she'd stood up and began pacing in front of Hermione's bed. "She certainly gets around."

"Susan's a nice girl," Hermione shrugged. "But I don't pay attention to her social life. I've just seen her talking to Blaise a few times and I just assumed, that's all. Perhaps she does fancy Seamus."

"Then why is she fawning all over Neville?" Ginny asked. "You should have seen her the other day in the library, Hermione. She came up behind him and put her hands over his eyes and was playing 'Guess Who?' with him. I mean, how old is she? Seventeen or seven?"

Hermione's eyebrows knit together. "Ginny, are you jealous?"

"Of course not!" Ginny scoffed.

Hermione nodded. "Okay."

"I'm just looking out for him," Ginny said defensively. "He's been such a great friend to me, it's the least I can do."

"I believe you," Hermione said. "I've no reason not to."

"He's a great guy," Ginny said remembering their talk in the library the other night. "And so sweet."

"Yes he is," Hermione nodded. "He's someone I've been friends with my whole seven years here."

"I've really gotten to know him these past few days," Ginny said.

Hermione began looking through her closet. "He mentioned he'd been tutoring you."

"What else did he say?" Ginny asked.

"That was all," Hermione glanced back at her. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, of course," Ginny said distractedly.

"Ginny," Hermione abandoned her clothing and sat back down. "If I can confide in you, you can confide in me."

"About what?" Ginny asked innocently.

"You just seemed really distracted," Hermione said. "Are you thinking about Malfoy?"

Truth be told, she hadn't been thinking about him at all. Her thoughts were on the kind-hearted seventh-year Gryffindor who had been tutoring her in Herbology. "Yes, I've been thinking about Malfoy. This whole pact has been very stressful, Hermione," Ginny said, which was partly true.

"I know," Hermione nodded. "But we'll get through it, one way or the other, right?"

"Yes we will," Ginny agreed. "I have a dress you can borrow for tomorrow night. If you want..."

"Do you think it'll fit?" Hermione asked.

"We're witches," Ginny said grinning at her. "We can make alterations if necessary."

Hermione laughed. "Right, of course."

"But, he does like you for you," Ginny said standing up and walking over to Hermione's closet. "Let's see if we can find something of yours..."

"I'm afraid I don't have much," Hermione said. "Mainly just some jeans and jumpers and trainers."

Ginny took a look at Hermione's wardrobe. She pulled out a black skirt with lace trim. "This is kind of cute..."

"I forgot I had that," Hermione said. "I didn't even realise I packed it."

Ginny set the skirt down on the bed. "Now, let's see if we can find a top..."

Hermione stood next to Ginny. "This one?" she asked, pulling out a long sleeved white blouse.

Ginny gave it a quizzical look. "That would look really good. "

"Really?" Hermione asked. "Not too plain?"

Ginny shook her head. "We can dress it up a bit...."

"I'm not too good at this sort of thing," Hermione said lamely.

"That's why you have me," Ginny said looking through the closet one more time. She pulled out a short-sleeved black jumper. "We would pair it with this."

"Even if the shirt has long sleeves?" Hermione asked. "I don't have any jewellery, really either."

"You stay here," Ginny said. "I will be right back."

Hermione nodded, looking at the outfit Ginny had helped her pick out. She wondered if Harry would like her in it.

A few minutes later, Ginny returned with a handful of jumpers, shirts, and a jewellery box. "I borrowed some stuff from my roommates too. Sarah's your size, Hermione."

"That was nice of them to lend me their things," Hermione picked up one of the jumpers.

"Well, I kind of grabbed without asking," Ginny said setting down the rest of the items on the bed.

"Ginny!" Hermione exclaimed.

Ginny waved her hand dismissively. "They owe me. Now, let's see. Hold up that red one to you. I think with your colouring it might work."

"Red?" Hermione asked uncertainly. "It seems sort of... flashy."

Ginny held the jumper out to her. "Try it on."

Hermione took it and pulled it over her head.

"Turn around," Ginny said.

"It's a little tight," Hermione frowned.

"We want you to be comfortable," Ginny said piecing through the tops and jumpers. "How about this one?" She held out a periwinkle blue scoop neck top. "How about this?"

"That's pretty," Hermione pulled the red one off. "Is it yours?"

"Natalie's," Ginny said.

"You don't think she'll mind me wearing it?" Hermione asked. "It's not as if we get along."

"You leave Natalie to me," Ginny said. "I know some things about her and if she even thinks about saying something about it, I'll tell everyone how she stuffs her bra."

Hermione laughed. "Ginny!"

Ginny giggled. "She does! You know how she's dating Cormac McLaggen, right? Well, while he's away at University, she'd been snogging Colin Creevey every chance she can get."

Hermione's eyes widened. "Are you serious?"

"Absolutely," Ginny said. "I caught them in the Astronomy Tower the other night going at it."

Hermione wrinkled her nose. "She's lucky it wasn't me who caught them."

Ginny nodded. "Oooh...that does look nice. What do you think?"

Hermione smiled a bit. "It does," she agreed.

Ginny opened up the jewellery box and pulled out a silver necklace with a pendant. "I think this would go great with it."

"That's beautiful," Hermione took it in her hands.

"My mum and dad gave it to me last year for my birthday," Ginny said.

"It's lovely," Hermione replied. "And you really don't mind me wearing it?"

"That's what friends do," Ginny told her. "Share things. Gossip. All part of that normal teenage thing you're trying..."

"I guess," Hermione replied, tugging on the jumper.

Ginny picked up one of the jumpers in the pile that belonged to her. She smiled as she remembered wearing it the other day. Neville had told her it matched her eyes.

"I guess I'll wear this tomorrow then," Hermione looked at the skirt, jumper and blouse on the bed.

"I think you're all set," Ginny said smiling at her. "Don't worry about Natalie."

"If you say so," Hermione smiled at her. "Thanks so much, Ginny."

"I'm happy for you," Ginny said gathering up the clothes. "I really am. I just hope that things work out as well for me and Draco."

Hermione wondered if she should tell Ginny about what Malfoy had done to her at the Yule Ball but held her tongue. "Just promise me you'll be careful. Don't let him talk you into anything you don't want to do."

"Yes, Mum," Ginny said. "I'll be careful."

"I mean it," Hermione arched her eyebrow.

Ginny sighed. It was bad enough having Ron tell her every chance he had what a wanker Malfoy was. It was even worse having Fred and George read her the riot act about it when she'd ran into them during the Hogsmeade weekend. She just wished everyone would see Draco how she saw him. "I will."

"Well..." Hermione sent her a half smile. "At least you can kiss him now. At least that's what I understand- if I do something, so can you."

"I'll have to wait until dinner," Ginny said. "Maybe I'll see if he wants to go for a walk afterwards."

Hermione knew another warning would be fruitless. "I'm going to freshen up before going to meet Harry."

"I'm going to take this lot back to my room," Ginny said. "I'll see you later."

"Thanks again Ginny," Hermione said. "I really appreciate this."

"It's my pleasure," Ginny said opening the door with her free hand. Making her way down the staircase was a little difficult given the pile of clothes in her hands.

She was almost to the 6th year girl's dormitory when the pile began to slip. "Nooooo!" she tried to balance it back out.

"Mmmph!" a male voice said as Ginny collided with him.

"Sorry!" Ginny said. "Neville?"

"Yeah," Neville said rubbing his forehead. "You planning on making a getaway?"

"No," Ginny smiled at him. "I was helping Hermione. She's going out with Harry, can you believe it?"

"That must be why he's so happy," Neville said kneeling down to help her pick up the clothes.

"He's happy?" Ginny asked. "Really? How do you know?"

"He's upstairs in our room smiling," Neville told her. "He doesn't usually smile for that long..."

Ginny squealed. "Oh, I know this is going to be such a great thing!"

Neville smiled at her. "So, how has your weekend been so far?"

"Until now, pretty mediocre," Ginny piled the clothing back into her arms. "But I think it's about to get a lot better."

"Is that because you bumped into me and nearly knocked me out with a pile of jumpers?" Neville asked teasingly.

"How did you guess?" Ginny deadpanned.

"I see how you are, Ginny Weasley," Neville said. "How sad is it that this was probably the highlight of my weekend?"

"The highlight of your weekend?" Ginny asked, shifting the pile to her other arm. "Really?"

"Told you it was sad," Neville said blushing a little.

"You're not sad," Ginny told him.

Neville grinned at her. "You're sweet to say that."

Ginny smiled back at him. "I've got to go put this stuff back, but I'll see you at dinner, right?"

"Actually, no," Neville told her. "I'm going to help Susan with something. She and I are going to grab something afterwards in the kitchens."

"Oh," Ginny's smile disappeared.

Neville couldn't tell what that look meant. "Ginny---"

"I really have to go," Ginny said quickly. "I'll um... I'll see you tomorrow night in the greenhouses right?"

"Seven," Neville agreed.

"Right," Ginny moved past him, confused as to why it was bothering her so much that he was hanging out with Susan.