Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

Ok, don't kill us for no H/Hr in this chapter, but the other characters were begging for a little attention. They'll be back next week… and we think you'll enjoy it! ;)

She stalked upstairs to her dormitory and threw the clothes on to her bed. "Hey! What's your problem, Ginny?" Sarah asked.

"Susan Bones," Ginny grumbled.

"What's wrong with her?" Sarah asked.

"One, she talks too much," Ginny counted off on her fingers. "Two, she thinks she's so smart. Three, she's stringing Neville along when she fancies other boys. Four, she's ....she's really getting on my bloody nerves. Every single time I turn around, there she is---"

Sarah sent her a strange look. "Why do you care if she's stringing along Neville?"

"Because," Ginny said defensively. "He's my friend and she's a cow!"

"She's not so bad," Sarah looked at her magazine.

Natalie sighed. "You know why you're so upset about this, don't you? You fancy Longbottom, Ginevra. You don't like someone else walking your little puppy dog, do you?"

Ginny narrowed her eyes. "Neville is my friend. I want to be with Draco. I'm not into two guys like you are."

"I'm not into two guys," Natalie scoffed. "I love Cormac."

"And you loooooove snogging Colin Creevey," Sarah drawled.

"Do not!" Natalie retorted.

"Do so," Ginny countered.

"That's your word against mine," Natalie snapped.

"Whatever," Ginny rolled her eyes. "I'm going to go find Draco. I have good news for him."

"Good luck with that," Natalie said, deciding not to tell her roommate that she'd seen Malfoy snogging Pansy Parkinson earlier.

Ginny left the Gryffindor Common Room and headed downstairs. She figured she'd look for him near the Great Hall and then perhaps the library.

She spotted his two cronies, Crabbe and Goyle sitting outside the Great Hall.

"Vincent, have you or Gregory seen Draco?" Ginny asked them.

Crabbe and Goyle looked dumbfounded to be called by their first names. "Uh..." Crabbe grunted. "Over there?"

"Thank you," Ginny said curtly. She wanted to like Draco's friends, but it was difficult.

She brushed back her long hair and straightened out her shirt before heading in the direction Crabbe had pointed. Her stomach lurched nervously- was she finally about to receive her first kiss?

She turned the corner and was surprised to see Draco sitting close with Pansy Parkinson.

"Draco?" she asked softly.

Draco hadn't heard her and he leaned in and whispered something in Pansy's ear. The Slytherin girl giggled and patted him on the arm.

"Draco?" Ginny said in a louder tone.

Draco looked over at her and the smile on his faltered a bit. "R-Red..."

"What's going on here?" Ginny looked back and forth between them.

Pansy smiled sweetly at her. "Nothing you'd know about."

Ginny narrowed her eyes. "No one asked you, Parkinson."

"Don't you have somewhere to be, Pansy?" Draco asked moving away from her.

"Draco," Pansy whined. "You were about to--"

"Help you with your Charms assignment, but we can pick that up later," Draco covered.

Pansy shot Ginny a nasty glare as she stalked past her.

Draco patted the now empty space beside him. "Come sit by me, Red."

Ginny smiled. "Okay," she said, butterflies fluttering around in her stomach.

Draco looked over at her. "I just heard about Potter and Granger's make out session by the lake."

"Word gets around fast," Ginny mused, sliding closer to him.

"Yes, it does," Draco said leering at her. "You look absolutely delectable today, Red."

Ginny blushed. "Well I try," she said modestly.

"Perhaps since Granger was able to snog old Scarhead," Malfoy said inching even closer to her. "I can finally do exactly what I've wanted to do for weeks."

Ginny's heart was beating so fast she was sure he could hear it. "What might that be?" she flirted, leaning in.

"Something along the lines of...." Malfoy said putting his arms on her waist. He was within inches of her lips when he felt the sensation of walking into a brick wall. "OW!"

Ginny was thrown back; she almost fell off the bench. "Hey!" she said angrily.

"What the fuck?" Draco asked getting to his feet. "I thought it would work!"

Ginny rubbed her back, angry tears springing to her eyes. "Me too," she said miserably.

"This is getting really old, Red!" Draco exclaimed, glaring at her before walking away.

"Wait!" Ginny got up. "Draco, wait!"

"What for?" Draco asked without turning around. "What am I supposed to do? Pat your hand. Look longingly at you? Some relationship....

"I'll figure this out," Ginny said. "Just please... if you like me as much as you say you do, just be patient... please?"

Draco turned around. "I do, but this is..."

"I hate it too," Ginny told him. "I really hate it. But Dumbledore's trying to help us... and we'll find out what's going on."

Draco sighed. "Fine...but you'd better figure this out soon, Red."

"I'll try," she reached for his hand.

Draco hoped she'd be worth all this bloody trouble. "I have to go."

Ginny sighed. "Okay."

"You really do look beautiful, Red," Draco said softly.

Hope flared up inside her. "Thanks," she said with a smile. "I think you look handsome all the time."

He gave her a cocky grin before heading upstairs. Hopefully, he'd be able to catch up to Parkinson and see if she could help him with that built up sexual tension.

Ginny felt only slightly better as she headed back for the dormitories. She'd lost any appetite she might have had.

As if her day could get any worse, she heard a familiar female voice as she neared the Gryffindor Tower.

"Neville!" Susan giggled. "That's not true!"

"That's not what I heard," Neville was laughing too.

"You shouldn't believe everything you hear," Susan said in flirtatious tone.

Neville laughed again. "When it comes to you?"

"There is something I've been wanting to ask you," Susan said.

Ginny stepped forward, wishing she had a pair of Fred and George's Extendable Ears.

"What's that?" Neville asked.

"I was thinking that the Yule Ball was coming up," Susan said softly. "And I haven't asked anyone and no one's asked me..."

Ginny's jaw dropped. Susan wasn't really going to ask him to the ball, was she? Ginny shook her head. She couldn't let this happen. Thinking fast, she positioned herself on the steps and cried out. "Ow!"

A moment later, Neville appeared around the corner. "Ginny?" concern was etched over his face. "What happened?"

"I--I twisted my ankle," Ginny lied. She hated doing so, but sometimes desperate times called for desperate measures.

"How on earth did you do that?" Susan asked.

"I don't know," Ginny snapped. "I just did, that's all. On the steps."

Neville helped her gingerly get to her feet. "Put your weight on me, Gin."

"Thanks Neville," Ginny leaned against him.

"You're going to be okay," he said putting his arm around her. "Let's get you to Madam Pomfrey."

"I can help," Susan offered.

"It's okay," Ginny said quickly. "Neville's got me."

"Oh," Susan said looking quizzically at her. "Okay."

Ginny limped away with Neville. "I'm sorry," she said. "I'm so clumsy."

"It's okay," Neville said smiling reassuringly at her. "I'm not one to judge. I'm the King of the Klutzes."

"You're probably not as bad as me," Ginny said.

"Let's see," Neville said helping her slowly down the steps. "There was the time I managed to break every single glass jar in Snape's dungeons by simply bumping into the table or the time I twisted my ankle getting out of bed...."

"Hmm..." Ginny said. "Okay, I take that back."

Neville gave her a look. "Thanks...."

Ginny smiled at him. "You said it."

Ginny felt warm and safe with Neville like this and she couldn't help but smile to herself.

"You're lucky you're hurt or I'd say something smart back to you," Neville said squeezing her shoulder.

"You're too good to me," she said dryly, forgetting that her ankle didn't hurt at all.

"You're not limping as much," Neville said. "I think that's a good sign. You probably just turned it is all."

"I think so," Ginny nodded, not relishing the thought of a fake injury and Madam Pomfrey. "Maybe I should put some weight on it and see?"

"Sure," Neville said, letting slowly go of her. "Take it easy..."

Ginny pretended to test it. "I think I'm okay. Thanks to you."

"I didn't do anything really," Neville said. "Really..."

"Yes you did," Ginny replied.

"I was happy to help," Neville told her, blushing a little at her praise.

"Mind at least walking me back to the common room?" Ginny asked.

"Of course not," Neville replied. "We'll go slow."

"Thanks," Ginny said as he took her arm again.

"You should probably keep it elevated," Neville told her. "And maybe put some ice on it..."

"Where will I get ice?" Ginny asked.

Neville stopped suddenly. "Um...well...I could go and get you some from the kitchens...can you wait here while I run to get it?"

"Okay," Ginny replied. "You don't mind?"

"I'd do anything for you," Neville said without realising what he'd said.

Ginny caught it and blushed as he headed for the kitchens.

She felt bad for faking her injury and for all the fuss he was making over her. But, she'd had to do it to protect him from the likes of Susan Bones, who seemed to fancy any boy with a pulse.

Ginny shook her head. She was doing the right thing, as his friend.

Neville returned a few minutes later with an ice pack. "Ginny, you shouldn't; be standing..."

"It's okay," she replied.

Neville shook his head and handed her the ice pack. Before she knew it, he'd picked her up. "Neville---"

"I'm carrying you upstairs and that's all there is to it," Neville cut her off.

Ginny smiled at him. "You're so sweet..."

"Just you wait until you get my bill," Neville told her.

"Uh oh," Ginny grinned. "What if I can't afford it?"

"Then we'll have to work out some other arrangement," Neville said being extremely careful as he carried her upstairs.

"Such as?" Ginny asked, tightening her hold around his neck.

"Um," Neville said thoughtfully. "I don't know. Have you any ideas?"

Ginny shook her head, her cheeks a bit pink.

"I'll have to have a think on it," Neville said smiling at her. He couldn't help noticing how close her face was to his. She was looking at him in a way that she never had.

Ginny wondered if Neville had always been this cute. He always treated her like a true lady- almost like royalty.

Neville carried her up to the portrait of the Fat Lady and said the password.

"Oh dear," the Fat Lady said looking at the two Gryffindors. "What a gallant knight!"

"Yeah, yeah," Neville muttered as he carried Ginny inside.

"She's right," Ginny said smiling at Neville. "You were…gallant."

"I guess," Neville felt all shy again as he set her on a sofa. "Here, let's put some pillows under your ankle..."

Most of their fellow Gryffindors were down at dinner so the common room was nearly deserted.

"Thanks," Ginny said softly. "You really don't need to make such a fuss."

"I don't want you to hurt it again," Neville answered, placing the ice pack over her skin.

"I'm going to be fine," Ginny reassured him. "Thanks to you."

Neville smiled at her. "I'm glad."

"I'm sure you had things to do," Ginny said, hoping he'd want to stay.

"I was supposed to go grab something to eat with Sue," Neville nodded. "But she's probably gone on by now."

"If you'd like to catch up to her---"

"Maybe later," Neville said, more worried about Ginny's ankle.

Ginny smiled. "Thanks."

"Are you hungry?" he asked. "I could um... I could see if I can nick anything from the kitchens..."

"Why are you being so sweet to me?" Ginny asked, feeling a twinge of guilt.

"You're my friend," he avoided her eyes.

"You'd do this for any of your friends," Ginny said softly. "That's just how you are. Neville, I'm so happy that I have you."

Neville smiled at her. "Always."

Ginny smiled back at him. She was feeling hungry. "If you wouldn't mind, I am sort of hungry."

He nodded. "I'll go nick us something from downstairs."

"Thanks, Nev," Ginny said. "I really, really appreciate it."

He headed downstairs and Ginny leaned back against the comfortable sofa.

Ginny reasoned that her behaviour was acceptable if it kept Neville from being hurt by that tart. Neville deserved better than that.

She blinked and yawned- it was really quite warm due to the burning fire and she let her head fall back against the cushions. "A little kip won't hurt," she said softly to herself.

The next thing she knew, she found herself in the Great Hall for what seemed to be the Yule Ball. The long tables were moved off to the side and the entire room looked like a winter wonderland. Ginny looked around for her friends, but she was the only one in the room.

To her delight, Draco Malfoy came striding toward her, carrying a rose. "My lady...."

Ginny blushed. "Thank you," she said in surprise, reaching for the rose.

"You look beautiful," Draco said as charming as ever.

Ginny hadn't noticed her dress, which was a shimmering blue and swirled around her. "Thanks," she replied. "You look so handsome."

Draco grinned. "Of course I do."

"Where's everyone else?" Ginny asked as music suddenly filled the room.

"We don't need anyone else," Draco said taking her hand. "Just you and me."

She nodded. "I've been waiting for this," she said as he pulled her into his arms.

"Me too," Draco said holding her close as they began to move.

Ginny closed her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder.

She had gone to other Yule Balls, of course, but had only gone with her friends. Never with a date, and nothing like this.

"I never thought we'd be together like this," he whispered in her ear. Ginny looked up in surprise. That wasn't Draco's voice.

"Neville?" she asked her eyes wide. "When... where...."

"I've been here all along," he said softly. "Waiting for you."

"You have?" she asked.

Neville nodded. "You have to have seen how crazy I am about you."

"Neville," Ginny said softly as her heart nearly leapt out of her chest.

"Could you...could you feel the same way about me?" Neville asked hopefully.

Ginny couldn't speak over the lump in her throat but found herself leaning closer to him.

His lips brushed against hers.

Her arms went around his neck and she pressed her lips back against his.

She didn't have anything to compare the kiss to, but this felt absolutely incredible. Ginny couldn't believe how right this felt, to be here with him, just like this.

"Neville...."

"You're an amazing girl, Ginny." he said, his forehead resting against hers. "I want to be with you so much."

"Why didn't you say something?" Ginny asked.

Neville shrugged. "I never thought you'd feel this way about me."

"How could I not?" Ginny asked looking into his warm brown eyes.

He grinned at her. "You just made my year, you know." he swung her around.

Ginny giggled. "Neville!"

"Ginny...Earth to Ginny? Hello?"

Her eyes popped open and she gasped. "Neville?"

Neville set the plates down on one of the tables. "You fell asleep, eh?"

"Just for a minute," Ginny said softly, blushing.

"Everything okay?" Neville asked.

"Fine," she answered quickly.

Neville handed her a plate. "Dobby seemed to think you'd like this. Tomato, pesto and mozzarella on sourdough bread."

"That does sound delicious," Ginny answered, propping herself up. "Thank you so much for doing this for me, Neville."

Neville shrugged. "It was no problem. I told you I was happy to do it."

Ginny smiled at him as she began to eat. Heat crept up her neck as she remembered her dream.

"Dobby told me that he was thinking of asking Winky to get married," Neville told her.

Ginny laughed. "Are you serious?"

Neville nodded. "He was asking me for all these ideas on the best way to propose."

"What did you tell him?" Ginny asked.

Neville laughed. "Well, I told him that he should just ask her and hope for the best. If it's meant to be, it'll happen."

She nodded. "I agree with that."

"Oh and he wanted to know if Harry would be his best man," Neville said chuckling.

Ginny laughed even harder. "That's too funny!"

"Maybe Winky will ask you to be her maid of honour," Neville teased.

"Just what I always wanted," Ginny replied with a grin.

"I should keep quiet before they ask me to be the ring bearer," Neville mused.

"He's probably listening and making a list right now," Ginny said.

Neville frowned. "He probably is..."

Ginny giggled. "Better get your pillow ready."

"And you'd better be prepared to wear a dress with a bow as big as your head," Neville laughed.

Ginny shook her head. "I'd still look damn good in it."

"Yes you would," Neville said smiling shyly at her.

Ginny blushed again as she finished her dinner. "That was really good. I'll have to thank Dobby."

"How are you feeling?" Neville asked her.

"Fine," Ginny had forgotten about her ankle.

"I'd love to help you up to your room, but you know the rules," Neville said. "Hopefully Sarah or Natalie will come back soon..."

"I think I can walk," Ginny replied. "I've been off it for awhile now."

"Just promise me you'll take it easy," Neville said.

"I promise," Ginny said. "Thanks for eating with me. I know you were supposed to go eat with Susan and--"

"It's okay," Neville told her. "I ran into her downstairs on my way back up here with the food."

"What did she say?" Ginny couldn't help her curiosity.

Neville shrugged. "She just wanted to know if you were okay."

"Oh," Ginny said. "That was nice of her."

"Sue's a nice girl," Neville said gathering their plates.

"And a tramp," Ginny muttered under her breath.

"What's that?" Neville asked.

"Nothing," Ginny said hastily. "I'm um... going to go up and read up on Herbology."

"I'm really glad you're okay, Ginny," Neville said getting to his feet.

"Thanks to you," Ginny said, shifting her weight on her so called good ankle.

"Do you need any help navigating the steps?" Neville asked.

"I'm okay," Ginny answered. "Thanks."

"Good night then," Neville said softly.

"Night," Ginny leaned forward and kissed his cheek, letting her lips linger a bit longer than necessary.

Neville nearly dropped the dishes in his hands at her gesture.

"I'll see you in the morning," Ginny said.

Neville could only nod as he watched her limp toward the staircase.

Once she was out of his sight, Ginny began to walk normally. The dream still played on her mind and she wondered what it meant- having Draco turn into Neville.

Draco and Neville were as different as night and day. Draco was confident to the point of arrogance and he was one of the most popular boys in the school.

But Neville was popular in his own shy, quiet way. During his years here he'd earned respect from a lot of different people- even Harry.

More importantly, she could be herself with Neville. He was so easy to talk to and she never felt like uncomfortable or awkward around him. With Draco, she was always trying to think of the right thing to say.

Ginny recalled Natalie's words from earlier- You fancy Longbottom. Could she have been right?

*** *** ***

Even though the Yule Ball was a few months away, now that Ron knew Ernie was interested in Luna he wanted to beat him to the punch in asking her to be his date. Hopefully it wouldn't turn into the disaster that seemed to occur whenever he tried to be romantic with her.

"Luna, we'd have a lot of fun if we went to the ball together," he coached himself. "As dates- because no one goes to the ball without a date, right?" he laughed at himself then groaned.

"Are you talking to yourself?" Luna asked coming up behind him.

"What?" Ron nearly jumped out of his skin.

Luna smiled. "Ronald, you certainly are jumpy."

He told himself to recover. "What are you up to?"

"Just walking around," Luna replied. "What are you doing?

"Same," Ron answered. "We could walk around together..."

"That'd be nice," Luna said linking her arm in his.

Ron was elated by her move. "All right then," he grinned at her.

Luna wasn't saying anything. She had a dreamy expression on her face, which wasn't any different from how she usually was, but Ron wished she'd say something so he wouldn't have to think of anything himself.

"Um... so how's the next edition of the Quibbler?" he asked lamely.

"Great," Luna replied. "Daddy's working really hard on this issue. Vampires."

"Really," Ron answered. "Tell me more."

"Daddy's been in Romania the last few weeks getting interviews with some of them," Luna said. "His last letter was full of all these interesting stories. I can't wait to read the articles."

"Me either," Ron answered. "It's a great newspaper Luna."

Luna beamed at him. "Thank you, Ronald. I'm glad you think so."

"You should write for it again," Ron replied. "I really liked those articles on Nargles you did."

"I'm going to work for him this summer," Luna told him. "Have you thought any more about your brothers' offer?"

"A little bit," Ron nodded. "I think I'm going to take it."

"You're going to be great at it," Luna said giving him a hug. "That's such a great opportunity!"

Ron hugged her back tightly. "Um Luna?"

"Yes?" Luna asked.

"You know the ball..." Ron cleared his throat. "The ball?"

Luna looked quizzically at him. "You want to play a game?"

"No," Ron fumbled. "I um... I was thinking, I know it's early--"

"It's not really early," Luna said looking at her watch. "It's just gone two in the afternoon."

Ron sighed. What the hell was wrong with him- why couldn't he figure out what to say?

Luna giggled. "Ronald, you are so funny!"

"Thanks," Ron managed a wan smile.

"Do you want to stay inside or should we continue our walk by the lake?" Luna asked.

"How about outside?" he asked. "It's another nice day today."

Luna nodded. "That'd be nice." She and Ron headed out the doors and Ron groaned when he saw Ernie Macmillan striding toward the castle.

"On second thought, let's stay inside," Ron said grabbing Luna and pulling her back into the castle.

"Ronald---"

"We can go out later," he flashed her a quick smile.

"Okay," Luna said raising an eyebrow at him.

Ron propelled her quickly away from the front doors. "We could get something to eat."

"Didn't you just eat lunch?" Luna asked.

"Well yes," Ron replied. "But I can always find room to eat here."

Luna smiled. "You eat more than anyone I know."

"Is that a good thing?" he asked.

Luna linked her arm in his again. "I like to watch you eat. You always seem as if you're having the time of your life."

"Well sort of," Ron smiled at her. "It's one of my favourite things to do but not my top favourite."

"What's your favourite?" Luna asked.

He wasn't sure he wanted to admit that it was spending time with her. "Um... sleeping," he covered quickly and wanted to hit himself in the head.

"I love sleeping too," Luna said smiling at him. "I love my dreams. I truly believe they are windows into your soul."

"Yeah?" he asked. "What do you dream about?"

"All kinds of things," Luna replied. "Sometimes about my mum."

"I remember when that happened," Ron looked over at her. "I think it's cool you still think about her."

"I think about her every single day," Luna said softly.

He had never seen Luna show much emotion, at least not sadness. But here she was wiping her eyes, so he did the only thing he could think of and enveloped her in his arms gently.

Luna sobbed into his shoulder. "T-thank you, Ronald."

He stroked her hair. "I haven't been in your place," he told her. "But if you need to talk I'll listen."

"My father's been great," Luna told him. "But there's some things that a girl can only talk about with her mother..."

"You know that my mum loves you," he told her. "If you ever need her, she'd be delighted to hear from you."

"She's so busy though," Luna said. "I couldn't ask---"

"She would always make time for you," Ron interrupted.

Luna hugged him again. "Your family's always been so great to Daddy and me."

Ron felt his heart leap into his throat. This was the most contact he'd ever had with her. "I'm happy to help..."

"You have helped," Luna said kissing him on the cheek. "Thank you, Ronald."

Ron nearly passed out as her lips touched his skin. "Anytime..." he managed.

"Let's go on to the kitchens," Luna said. "I know you're hungry."

"A little," he agreed. "I'll get you some hot chocolate."

"That sounds great," Luna said.

"Always makes me feel better." he reached for her hand.

They passed a bulletin board on their way to the kitchens that had a big poster announcing the Yule Ball.

Ron remembered his mission. "So what I was trying to say earlier..."

"About playing ball?" Luna asked.

"Well not playing ball," Ron answered, angry at himself for feeling nervous again. "But um... we could go--"

"I'm not really much for sport," Luna told him. "I'm sure if you wanted to play ball..."

"I don't," Ron said exasperatedly.

"Then why were you talking about it?" Luna asked pulling a confused face. "Ronald, it is a nice day. If you'd like to go play ball, you can."

Ron sighed and shook his head. "Never mind," he said glumly.

"Let's get that hot chocolate," Luna said.

"Right," Ron nodded, leading her to the kitchens.

The kitchen was empty and Luna told Ron to sit down. "I'll make it for us."

"Okay," Ron replied. "You sure? I bet I can find Dobby--"

"It's the least I can do after you let me cry on your shoulder," Luna said. "Sit."

Ron sat. "Thanks Luna."

Luna smiled at him and went over to the cabinets. "How about food? What would you like?"

Ron grinned at her. "My range is enormous. Surprise me."

"So fried worm guts and sour cream it is," Luna said thoughtfully.

"That's the most appetizing thing I heard all day," Ron joked.

Luna looked in the cabinets. "Oh...well sorry to disappoint. They're all out. You'll have to settle for scones and jam."

"I'll make do," Ron got up to help her.

"Sit down," Luna said. "I've got this."

"I don't mind helping," he answered.

"I know, but this is my treat for you," Luna said smiling at him. "So sit down, please."

"Are you sure?" he asked, pleased at her attention.

"Ronald," Luna said looking sternly at him.

Ron held up his hands. "Okay, okay... I'm sitting."

"Good boy," Luna said returning her attention to making the hot chocolate.

Ron watched her as she looked over the stove. Merlin, he wanted her so badly! He just couldn't seem to get his foot out of his mouth long enough to ask her out.

Why couldn't he just be a man and ask her? It was a simple question. She'd probably say yes. All he had to do was ask.

"Ronald," Luna said looking over her shoulder at him. "I was thinking..."

"Yeah?" he asked, snapping out of his daze.

"The Yule Ball is coming up soon," Luna said.

"I know," Ron said. "In fact, I was rather hoping--"

"I was thinking that it'd be nice to go with a friend," Luna said thoughtfully. "So I was thinking if you weren't going with anyone, perhaps we could go together?"

"What?" Ron asked dumbly.

"If you have someone lined up already, it's okay," Luna reassured him, setting a mug of hot chocolate in front of him.

"I don't," Ron said. "I want to go with you."

Luna smiled at him. "Great."

He could hardly believe it. He hadn't managed to ask her yet they were going together. He was going to the Yule Ball with Luna!

"I'm really excited about it," Luna told him. "I didn't go to the last one because I had the flu."

"I went with Padma Patil," Ron replied. "It wasn't really fun. She wasn't the greatest of dates."

"She said the same thing about you," Luna said getting the plate of scones and setting it between them.

Ron rolled his eyes. "She would say that."

"Padma can be kind of catty," Luna admitted.

"Nice job on the hot chocolate," Ron said. "Best I've ever had."

Luna beamed at him. "It's something my mum used to do. She used to put in a dash of cinnamon."

"Brilliant," he raised his mug.

"Your mum makes great hot chocolate, too," Luna said.

"You should know," Ron smiled at her. "You were over enough during the hols."

Luna blushed. "I love your home."

"We love having you there," Ron said. He didn't add that he loved it especially.

"I'm glad to hear you say that," Luna said touching his arm.

Ron wondered if perhaps now was the perfect time to tell her how he really felt. "Luna," he began. "I um... I really--"

"You have some whipped cream on your nose," Luna said handing him a napkin.

Ron swiped at his nose. "Did I get it?"

"Yes," Luna said. "You're just as handsome as ever."

Ron smiled at her. "Listen, Luna---"

"Hello," Harry said breezing into the kitchen. "I didn't know you two would be here."

"Hello, Harry," Luna said brightly. "We were just having a snack. Would you like a scone?"

"No thanks," Harry replied. "I need to see Dobby, actually."

"He's not here," Ron said through clenched teeth.

"Dobby's here, Harry Potter, sir!" the house elf exclaimed.

Harry grinned. "Dobby, I wondered if you could do me a huge favour..."

Dobby jumped up and down excitedly. "Dobby would be happy to help Harry Potter!"

Harry seemed a bit embarrassed. "Um... I need a dinner for two sent up to the Room of Requirement at around eight fifteen."

"How romantic!" Luna gushed. "I wish someone would do that for me!"

Ron clenched his hand in a fist and slumped down in his chair.

"Dobby would love to help you!" Dobby exclaimed. "Dobby knows just what to fix with Winky!"

"Great," Harry said. "I'll have some socks or something sent down as payment."

Dobby ran toward the cabinets and Luna smiled. "He's in his element."

Harry smiled in the direction of the house elf. "I knew I could count on him. I'll see you two later."

"Bye, Harry," Luna said dreamily. "Good luck tonight."

"Thanks," Harry gave Ron a significant look before leaving the kitchens.

Luna took another bite of her scone and studied Ron. "Are you upset because you fancy Hermione Granger?" she asked him.

"What?" Ron spluttered.

"You looked really upset when Harry mentioned his dinner with her," Luna said patting him on the arm.

"I don't care who Harry's going out with," Ron said a bit sullenly. He wished he had thought of the idea first. Now if he tried to do it, Luna would probably think he just copied Harry's plans.

Luna smiled sympathetically at him. "Ronald, you really should have said something sooner. Now she's never going to know how you feel."

"I don't like Granger!" Ron exclaimed. "Bloody hell, dating her would be like going out with Madam Pince. One wrong move and you get the glare..."

Luna collected their plates and mugs and again gave him that sympathetic look.

"I don't fancy her!" Ron protested. "I don't even like her!"

"You don't have to put a brave front for me," Luna said taking out her wand and performing a cleaning charm on their dishes.

"I'm not," Ron argued. "I don't fancy Granger I fancy--" he clamped his mouth shut at the last second.

"Parvati Patil," Dobby guessed.

Ron glared at the elf.

"Wheezy likes Parvy," Dobby sang to himself.

"You little--" Ron began angrily.

Luna gave him a warning look. "Don't be angry at Dobby, Ronald."

Ron shook his head. "Let's get out of here," he muttered. Again, the day had turned out nothing like he wanted it to.

"Okay," Luna said. "Goodbye, Dobby!"

"Goodbye Loony Miss!" Dobby said. "And goodbye Wheezy!"

"I have to get back upstairs," Luna said to Ron. "I have some reading to do."

"Are you sure?" he asked. "You don't want to go for a walk outside?"

Luna shook her head. "Maybe some other time."

"Okay," Ron said quietly.

Luna gave him a hug. "Don't worry, Ronald. Everything will work out."

"Maybe," he answered, his arms going back around her. He could enjoy this at least.

"If you'd rather go to the ball with Parvati," Luna began.

"NO," Ron said, a bit more loudly than he thought.

Luna pulled away and looked at him. "I'm sorry---"

"It's okay," Ron said quietly. "Um... guess I'll see you later."

Luna made for the staircase, but she turned around. "Ronald? I really am happy that we're going to the ball together."

He felt hope flare up for the first time in awhile. "Me too," he answered. "We'll have loads of fun."

Luna smiled sweetly at him before heading up the stairs.

Ron watched her until she was gone. It may not have gone as he planned, but he was going to the ball with Luna Lovegood. "Yes!" he punched his fist in the air.