Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

Some of you are wondering whether or not Harry likes Hermione and why Ginny's so nice. We can't exactly answer about Harry but we wanted to challenge ourselves and see if we could write a nice, likeable, non Mary Sue type of Ginny. Hope we're doing a good job ;)

Also, Hermione has sort of closed herself off from a lot of her fellow students- for reasons which you will read eventually. But she is still friendly with Ginny. They aren't as close as they were when they were little girls, but they still talk from time to time.

We're sorry for not answering reviews, but we're trying to work ahead again both in this story and in Last Dance. So bear with us for the time being and we'll try to get back to doing that again. Please review!!

Neville wondered if he should tell Harry. He didn't think he'd make fun of him. "Ginny Weasley," he admitted.

"Ginny," Harry said thoughtfully.

"I... I know she's probably not even interested--" Neville began.

"How would you know that if you haven't asked her?" Harry interjected.

Neville shook his head. "When Malfoy walked up to her, she just went off with him without even saying a word."

"And you just let her go?" Harry asked.

"I... I didn't know what to say," Neville replied quietly.

Harry didn't know why he should even care about this, but Neville was a good bloke and obviously needed the help. "You need to stop acting shy around her, for one thing. She probably fancies Malfoy because...and I can't believe I'm actually giving him a compliment...he...he knows what he wants and he goes for it. You have to do the same, only not in a smarmy wanker sort of way."

Neville looked over at him. "You really think so?"

Harry nodded and set his bag down at one of the greenhouse stations. "Absolutely."

"Maybe I'll help her out sometime with her studies," Neville said. "Do you think she'd like that?"

"Good way to start," Harry said. "And you're great at this rubbish." The rest of the class arrived, cutting off Harry and Neville's conversation. Professor Sprout made an announcement about that day's assignment. "You'll be pairing up for this assignment." Hermione hoped she'd get someone who took the class as seriously as she did.

Normally Harry paired himself up with Ron, but the red haired boy was on the other side of the greenhouse talking to Lavender Brown.

"Miss Granger, you and Mr. Potter seem to be the only ones without partners," Professor Sprout said. "You can work together."

"But Professor!" Hermione protested.

Professor Sprout ignored Hermione's protest and began passing out the directions for their assignment. Harry took the initiative and walked over to Hermione's station.

She ignored him as she prepared herself for the assignment.

Harry rolled his eyes. This was going to be a really long hour.

Hermione slid her gloves on and began to dig into the dirt of the plant in front of her, still without saying a word. She could handle this project on her own.

"What are these anyway?" Harry asked.

"Read the book," was her cool reply.

"O-kay," Harry said reaching for his book.

Hermione began clipping away some of the leaves as the head of the plant moved down and nuzzled her hand. It made her smile as she scratched the furry underside.

"Well, look at that," Harry said. "You actually have teeth."

She shot him a glare. "Why are you watching me?"

"I was watching the plant," Harry corrected. "Since you obviously don't think I'm capable of planting it, I was doing the documentation that the assignment called for. And before you make some smart remark, yes I can write."

"Well surprise, surprise," she shot back before returning her attention to the plant.

"I think you're using too much manure," Harry commented.

"I think I know what I'm doing," Hermione retorted.

"The book says that too much manure will make the Screechsnap squeak uncomfortably," Harry said. "And if you keep doing that---"

A loud, piercing shriek came from their plant.

Hermione was so surprised she nearly fell off her stool. "See what you made me do?" she snapped.

"Me?" Harry asked grabbing the small shovel and scooping out the excess manure. "You're the one who kept throwing it in there, Granger."

Hermione fumed. "You're taking too much out."

"And you were putting too much in," Harry countered. "There....see?"

Hermione glared at him. "We can do this separately. I don't want to work with anyone."

"We're supposed to work together," Harry said.

"I. Don't. Care." Hermione gathered up her books and moved to another table.

Harry sighed and grabbed the worksheet. He answered the questions as best he could and toward the end of the class, Professor Sprout walked around the class grading the students.

"Miss Granger," Professor Sprout asked. "You've done quite a nice job."

Hermione beamed at her. "Thank you, Professor."

"I'm afraid you've failed," Professor Sprout said quietly.

Hermione froze. "What?"

"The assignment called for you to work in pairs," Professor Sprout reminded her. "And since you didn't, you've failed as has Mr. Potter."

"Wait a minute," Harry said. "I don't think I should have to fail. I was the one willing to work as a pair."

"You both fail because you couldn't work as a team," Professor Sprout told them firmly.

"I can't fail," Hermione shook her head. "I absolutely cannot fail. I'll work with him. Fine. But I can't fail this."

Malfoy cackled from the back of the room.

"Miss Granger, Mr. Potter," Professor Sprout said looking at the two of them. "You can redo the assignment tonight after dinner. Together."

"Fine," Hermione muttered.

"Fine," Harry said quietly.

Professor Sprout left them and Malfoy sidled up. "The Head Girl... failed." he grinned maliciously.

Hermione chose to ignore him and she pushed past him so she could pack up her belongings.

"You're a git," Harry told Malfoy. "Why do you always have to stick your nose in where it doesn't belong?"

"Did I strike a nerve, Potter?" Malfoy asked gleefully. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to insult your girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend, arse." Harry pushed past him.

"You mean there's actually a girl at this school who has turned you down?" Malfoy asked pretending to be surprised.

"Fuck off," Harry answered.

Harry grabbed his bag and stalked out of the classroom. Hermione followed a few moments later.

Goyle looked at Malfoy. "You looked chummy with Weasley's sister."

"She's a fox," Malfoy answered with a grin. "I'll have her tapped in another few weeks."

"She's beneath you," Crabbe said dismissively.

"Nah," Malfoy drawled. "I bet she's a minx in the sheets."

"When you planning on finding out?" Crabbe asked.

"I'll ask her to the first Hogsmeade weekend," Malfoy said. "By that night I'll have it made."

Neville stood back, watching as Malfoy and his two goons walked out of the greenhouse.

"I knew it," he shook his head.

Neville couldn't let Malfoy win; not this time.

*** *** ***

Lunch was one of Ron Weasley's three favourite times of the day. But, for the first time he could remember, he wasn't hungry at all. He was a man on a mission. Summoning his Gryffindor courage, he approached the Ravenclaw table.

"Hey Luna," he said as he stood next to the blonde.

Luna looked up from her newspaper. "Ronald," she said a little distractedly.

Ron smiled at her. "What are you reading?"

Luna held up the newspaper. "The Daily Prophet. They have an article in here on the increase in Cornish pixies as pets. Did you know my father had an article on this a few weeks ago? His was much more informative. This reporter thinks that they're too dangerous and destructive to have as pets."

"I'm surprised you don't have one," Ron slid onto the bench next to her. "It seems like a pet that's right up your alley."

Luna looked up at him. "I wouldn't be able to care for one properly while I'm in school. But, when I get out, I'm definitely going to get one."

"I'll get you one," Ron offered, leaning closer to her.

Luna folded her paper and looked over at him. "What's that smell? Is that cologne?"

"Probably," Ron said, puffing his chest out.

"I don't particularly like cologne," Luna commented. "I think someone put on far too much."

"Oh," Ron deflated. "Um... so... what were you going to have for lunch?"

"I'm not sure," Luna said. "What about you?"

"A little of everything," Ron said. "It's my last year to get all this great food."

"How are your classes going?" Luna asked him.

"Fine," Ron shrugged. "I've got easy ones, now that I've dropped Potions."

"You have?" Luna asked. "But I thought you were going to try and be an Auror."

"I don't know," he said. "I might go for professional Quidditch. Or run some of my brothers' joke shops."

"You'd be great at either one," Luna said causing Ron to grin.

"What about you?" Ron asked eagerly.

"I'm not sure," Luna looked back at her paper. "I still have another year to figure things out."

"Are you going to call matches again this year?" Ron asked. "You really did brilliantly last year."

"Perhaps, if Professor McGonagall will let me," Luna replied vaguely, tucking her hair behind her ear.

Ron always loved it when she did that. A goofy grin came across his face as he watched her read her paper.

Luna glanced over at him. "Is everything all right, Ronald?"

"Hmmm?" Ron asked.

"You're flushed," Luna looked concerned.

"It's warm in here," Ron lied.

"I suppose," Luna looked back down at her paper. "Honestly, doxies are NOT as nasty as this one is making them seem!"

"So let me get this straight the Daily Prophet is against Cornish pixies and doxies?" Ron asked.

"It seems that way," Luna folded up the paper. "I'd rather read Daddy's any day of the week."

"You know I read some of the articles you wrote for him this summer," Ron said, not adding that he'd kept every single issue. "You're really talented, Luna. Smart...funny....beautiful..."

"Perhaps that's what I'll do when I leave school then," Luna didn't notice his compliment.

Ron took a deep breath. It was now or never. "Um, Luna. Could I ask you something?"

"Hmm?" she asked, pulling her copy of the Quibbler out and opening it.

"You know the first Hogsmeade weekend is in October," Ron started out.

"I think I heard something about that," Luna was clearly only half listening.

Ron nervously tapped his hands on the edge of the table. "I was going to go and I was hoping that you'd want to go."

"What was that?" Luna looked over at him.

"Would you like to go to Hogsmeade with me?" Ron asked looking earnestly at her.

Luna blinked for a moment. "Okay," she answered.

Ron looked back at her. "Really? You really will?"

"I mostly go by myself," Luna said. "It'll be nice to go with a friend."

"Friend," Ron gulped.

Luna smiled. "I'll show you this little shoppe I found last time. I'd never seen it before. They have all sorts of neat things inside."

Ron nodded. She thought they were going to go as friends. Just when he thought he was making headway, she said or did something that made him think it was never, ever going to happen. It was driving him crazy. "That sounds like fun."

"I'm looking forward to it," she said to him.

"Me too," Ron said smiling at her.

"If it isn't Weasel," a drawling voice made the redhead look up. "Where's your sister?"

"Go away Malfoy," Ron muttered.

"Don't be like that, Weasel," Malfoy replied. "Your sister's the hottest ticket around here. Shame your parents wouldn't let her loose until now."

Ron stood up and got in Malfoy's face. "Not that it's any of your concern, but my parents haven't let her loose yet. "

"Not yet," Malfoy grinned nastily at him.

"I didn't realise you fancied Ginny," Luna said to Malfoy. "That's really sweet."

"Sod off Loony," Malfoy waved his hand at her.

"Don't you dare talk to her like that," Ron said shoving Malfoy.

"Do that again Weasel and I'll--" Malfoy started.

"Please don't fight," Luna said getting in between them. "It's barbaric. You should talk out your problems."

"Malfoy doesn't talk," Ron glared at the blond boy. "Well... just out of his arse."

"Funny," Malfoy said glaring back at him. "You ought to be nice to me, Weasel. I'm going to be dating your sister."

"You are not dating my sister," Ron told him.

Draco grinned. "And who's going to stop me?"

"My parents aren't about to let her date you," Ron replied.

"They're miles away," Draco said grabbing an apple from the bowl on the table. "Nothing they can do about it."

"You leave Ginny alone, you good for nothing ferret," Ron snapped.

Draco took a bite of the apple and then glared menacingly at Ron before sauntering off toward the Slytherin table.

"Fucking arse," Ron glowered, watching him go.

Luna grabbed his hand. "Sit back down, Ronald. Your lunch is getting cold."

Her touch calmed him and he did as she said. "I hate him," Ron complained.

"Don't let him ruin your day," Luna said. "It's what he wants."

"Yeah..." Ron looked back at his plate.

"Do you have a busy afternoon?" Luna asked him.

"Kind of," Ron said. "I have Charms and Care of Magical Creatures."

Luna smiled. "I have---"

"Potions after lunch and Divination," Ron interjected without thinking.

"Very good," Luna smiled. "How did you know?"

"Um, well, you have those classes with Ginny," Ron covered quickly.

"Right," Luna absently brushed her hair back. "Your sister is quite popular now that your parents are allowing her to date."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Ron said to her.

"No?" Luna asked. "She's really sweet."

"It's not that," Ron said. "It's just that she's the only girl and my parents are very protective of her. And with good reason. Teenage boys only think about one thing."

"Like yourself?" Luna teased.

"Yes," Ron replied. "I mean....no!

She laughed. "I was only kidding."

Ron blushed. "Oh."

Luna turned her attention back to her newspaper. "Daddy's running a series on dragons."

"Really?" Ron asked. "My brother Charlie works with them in Romania."

"Does he?" Luna's eyes brightened with interest.

Ron nodded. "Ever since he finished here. If your father wants a source, I'm sure Charlie would talk to him."

"That would be quite lovely," Luna nodded.

"I'll give you his address," Ron told her.

"Thank you Ronald," Luna replied. "I'll pass it along to Daddy."

"You're welcome," Ron said beaming at her. "I'm always here. For help...or whatever you need."

"I'll remember that," Luna put her paper back in her bag and rose from her seat.

"You're going?" Ron asked.

"I want to get to class early," Luna replied.

"Oh," Ron said standing up as well. Before he could stop himself, he'd shaken her hand. "Good day."

She giggled. "You're very funny, Ronald."

He certainly hadn't meant to be funny. And who shook the hand of the girl he fancied? You didn't do such things, Ron said cursing his stupidity.

"Thank you for inviting me to Hogsmeade," she said, walking away. "I'm sure we'll have loads of fun."

Ron watched her go thinking he should teach a course in how not to get a girl.

*** *** ***

After dinner, Hermione slowly made her way toward the greenhouses. She couldn't believe she was being penalized for wanting to work by herself. She'd completed the assignment. It was unfair. Now thanks to Potter, she was going to have to spend the next hour doing the assignment all over again.

Knowing him, he probably wouldn't even show, she thought bitterly.

But to her surprise, he was already sitting inside at the desk they'd shared earlier that day.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to show," he said looking over at her.

"It's not like I'm late," Hermione said coolly.

"This is going to be fun," Harry muttered under his breath.

"It's not like I asked for this," Hermione pointed out. "I finished the assignment perfectly."

"No you didn't," Harry countered.

"Yes, I did." Hermione snapped.

"No, you didn't," Harry said pulling on a pair of dragon-hide gloves.

"Don't start with me," Hermione glared at him. "Because of you, I got my first detention. I managed to go all seven years without one."

"There's a first time for everything," Harry said pulling out the worksheet Professor Sprout had given them.

Hermione snatched it away from him. "I'll handle my part, you handle yours."

"Whatever you say," Harry said with a shrug. "Sprout's in her office..."

"Fine," Hermione turned her back on him.

"So what do we need to do first?" Harry asked, trying to make an effort.

"We have to re pot all of these," Hermione said briskly.

"And write down our observations," Harry said taking the worksheet from her.

Hermione ignored him and took out the bag of manure.

"So what do you like to do for fun?" Harry asked trying to make conversation.

"I read," Hermione said shortly. "And I study."

"That's real fun," Harry said sarcastically.

"It's fun to me!" Hermione said defensively.

"Anything you like to do that doesn't involve a book?" Harry asked.

"Why do you care?" she asked.

"Just trying to make conversation," Harry said with a shrug. He shovelled some manure into one of the pots.

"We'll get this done quicker if we just do it," Hermione said snappishly.

"Whatever you want," Harry replied.

"Good," she wouldn't look at him.

They worked in silence for the next few minutes.

Hermione finished potting one of the plants and again reached to stroke the underside of the flower like she had earlier that day.

The flower cooed happily and Hermione again smiled. Harry could help noticing this.

"There we go," she said softly, laughing as the plant nudged under her hand.

"I think that one likes you," Harry said coming up behind her.

She didn't respond at first. "Maybe..."

"Do that again," Harry told her. "Watch..."

"What?" she asked uncertainly.

Harry reached around her and put his hand on top of hers. "This..."

Hermione sucked in a breath when she realised how close he was.

"Watch," Harry said as together they stroked the petals.

The flower cooed and wiggled around. Hermione couldn't help but laugh.

Harry laughed with her. "Told you it liked you."

"Yeah..." she said softly.

"Should we move on to the next one then?" Harry asked.

Hermione suddenly realised they were still standing close together. "Yes," she said abruptly.

"I did something like this with Hagrid last year," Harry told her.

"That's nice," Hermione distanced herself from him and began potting another plant.

"You know, he told me that you visit him from time to time," Harry said quietly.

"I like Hagrid," Hermione shrugged.

"Me too," Harry said turning his back to her. "He was my first real friend."

Hermione sneaked a look over at him. "I find it hard to imagine you had trouble making friends."

"You'd be surprised," Harry told her.

Hermione moved onto another plant without answering.

Harry picked up his quill and started writing down some observations on the flowers' behaviour. "You planning on going to the first Hogsmeade weekend?"

"I have to go," Hermione replied. "Head Girl, remember?"

"Right," Harry said nodding. "You don't have to hang around with Malfoy do you?"

"Not if I can help it," Hermione said shortly.

"That would be cruel and unusual punishment," Harry said dryly.

"Why are we talking about Malfoy?" Hermione asked.

"Just making small talk," he said.

"We just need to get this done," Hermione said. "I have other things to do."

"Me too," Harry agreed.

Hermione quickly potted the plants as Harry followed and wrote down observations.

Professor Sprout came in a few minutes later and graded their work. She looked over their observations and Hermione waited with baited breath for their marks.

"This is what I was hoping for earlier today," the professor said. "Teamwork. You both get full marks."

Hermione grinned. "Thank you, professor."

"Very well," Professor Sprout nodded. "You're both dismissed."

"Have a good evening, Professor," Hermione said taking off her gloves.

"You two as well," the older woman nodded before heading back into her office.

Hermione stored her gloves under the table and turned to leave.

"I can walk with you since we're going in the same direction," Harry said after he finished storing his gloves.

"I can handle walking by myself," Hermione answered.

"Would you rather I walk behind you then?" Harry asked. "Granger..."

"I'm a big girl," She snapped. "I can walk by myself."

"Fine," Harry said pushing past her.

Hermione rolled her eyes as she headed up to the castle. She didn't know what Harry Potter's ulterior motive was in trying to get to know her, but she didn't want any part in it. She wasn't about to risk getting hurt by anyone again.