Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

We could have left this chapter on a little bit of a cliffie, but decided not to ;) We do hope you guys will enjoy it, as it's a rather fluffy chapter! And YEAH to only two days left until PIRATES!!!! AHOY!

Later that evening, Hermione paced back in forth in front of her bed working on her welcome speech for the meeting. She didn't know why she bothered. No one would listen. No one ever did.

She decided that this would be the last time she tried to bring SPEW about again. If no one showed up, or no one was interested, she'd drop it. She hated doing so, but she could take it up again once she got out of school.

She looked at the clock on her bedside table and grabbed her membership cards and her notebook.

Taking a deep breath, she left her bedroom and headed downstairs to the common room. She expected to see Neville and perhaps Ginny there, but was shocked when she saw the crowd that was gathered.

Hermione wondered if someone else had thought to book the room for a party, but she'd checked the calendar numerous times.

"Excuse me," Hermione announced. "But I have the room for the next hour..."

"We know," a third-year girl said. "That's why we're here."

"You are?" Hermione asked in surprise. "For SPEW?"

The girl nodded. "We don't have to pay anything to join, do we?"

"Um... five sickles for a membership badge," Hermione said, still a bit stunned. "It all goes for the house elves."

Someone cleared their throat behind her and Hermione turned to see Harry. He grinned at her before he spoke. "Everyone, I'm sure Hermione would like to thank all of you for showing up. But before we begin, I would like to say something about house elves."

Hermione stared at him, unable to speak.

"I'm alive today because of a house elf," Harry said relating for the group of students how Dobby had visited him the summer before his second year. "Dobby didn't always go about it the right way, but he certainly had good intentions. He loves Hogwarts more than just about anyone I know."

Hermione felt herself soften to Harry yet again. She'd hardly been able to concentrate all day and had faked a headache to get out of any classes she'd had with him that afternoon. But here he was, talking about the house elves on her behalf. He had probably gotten everyone there too.

"SPEW is going to do great things to bolster the welfare of elves," Harry concluded. "And I think that we can all help Hermione in her mission."

The room applauded as Harry gestured to Hermione. "You go ahead and take the floor."

Hermione stared at him for a moment. "Thank you."

Harry gestured to the spot where he had been standing and Hermione cleared her throat. "Um... well, in going what Harry said- the house elves have been slaves for centuries, and it's time that they were liberated from that." she talked for a good fifteen minutes and was pleased to see the students actually paying attention.

"So, if you'd be interested in joining, you just have to pay your dues," Hermione concluded. "We'll meet once a month and I'm always open to your ideas."

"The dues are what, five sickles?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "And you don't have to give the money to me right away. Just whenever you can..."

She did receive some money that night to her surprise. Harry approached her when she was counting it and recording it on a piece of parchment.

"Quite a turnout," Harry commented.

Hermione nodded. "Thank you for gathering a crowd for me."

"It was my pleasure," Harry said. "Can we talk later?"

She looked at him doubtfully. "Maybe..."

"I'll just let you finish up," Harry said motioning over his shoulder.

Hermione nodded. "Okay..."

Harry smiled at her before leaving her to the rest of her duties. He sat down on the sofa and watched her from a distance.

He had to admit he liked her. Hermione was a unique individual, but one he realised he had to treat with kid gloves.

She finished up with the new members and slowly approached him as the common room emptied out.

"How did you do?" he asked.

"Thirty members," Hermione replied.

"That's pretty good," Harry smiled at her.

"Thanks again," Hermione said. "I don't know what you said to get them to come out, but I appreciate it just the same."

Harry shrugged. "I just brought some attention to the matter. You did the rest."

Hermione looked down at the notebook in her hands, unsure of what to say or do.

"Can we talk about earlier?" Harry asked.

"About the note?" Hermione asked. "You made yourself quite clear."

"No," Harry shook his head. "I'm not ashamed of you, Hermione."

"But you said---"

"I just want to keep it between us," Harry replied. "Not because I'm ashamed or worried about what people will say, but because I like the idea of something private between us."

Hermione wasn't sure what to believe anymore. It always seemed as if he knew just the right things to say at the right time.

"You believe me, right?" he asked.

"I think us getting involved might have been a mistake," Hermione said quietly.

"What?" Harry asked. "No... No it's not."

"What I feel scares me to death," Hermione admitted.

"Why?" Harry asked, reaching for her hand.

"Because it's new and ...and I don't know what to make of any of it," Hermione said looking at him. "I don't like not knowing."

"But what we feel is a good thing," Harry said. "At least I think it is..."

"You're not scared?" Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. "Not even a little. I like you, Hermione."

"I like you too," Hermione admitted.

He grinned at her. "So that means it's a good thing."

Hermione set her notebook down and allowed him to put his arms around her, pulling her in for a hug.

She had to admit it felt wonderful being in his arms. She felt better about herself than she had in a long, long time every time Harry looked at her.

"I'm not embarrassed by you," Harry said softly. "Not at all."

She pulled back and looked at him, trying to judge if he was telling her the truth or not.

"I'd have snogged you in front of the whole crowd if you'd have let me," he said smiling at her.

Hermione felt the corner of her mouth curve up.

"But you wouldn't have let me," Harry said trying to keep a straight face. "You'd have probably hexed me...."

"Maybe," Hermione answered.

"Castrated me?" Harry guessed. "No? Okay...turned me into a beetle, perhaps?"

"A blast ended skrewt might be more on target." she said.

"You'd do that to me?" Harry asked putting his hand over his heart. "Hermione?"

Hermione shook her head. "You're being overdramatic."

"Well, it's not every day that you hear that the girl you fancy wants to turn you into a blast-ended skrewt," Harry said defensively.

Hermione folded her arms across her chest. "Harry... I appreciate what you did for me tonight--"

"Why do I think there's a 'but' coming?" Harry asked.

"I just don't know if we should do this," Hermione continued.

"Don't do that," Harry said looking into her eyes. "Don't put up those walls again."

She looked away, knowing how weak he could make her. Hermione hated feeling weak.

"I'm not Draco Malfoy," Harry said tilting her chin up so she'd look at him. "I would never hurt you like that."

"I need a few days," Hermione was desperate to keep things on her terms. "To think things over."

Harry nodded, not wanting to push her. "You take as much time as you need, but you know what? I am not going to give up on you."

That almost made her smile. "Okay..."

"Good night," he said giving her a kiss on the cheek. "I'm---I'm really proud of you, Hermione."

"For what?" she asked.

"For tonight," Harry said. "I might have gotten them here, but you kept them here. You're quite a leader."

"Thanks," Hermione felt herself soften even more.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said looking longingly at her one last time before heading up the staircase toward his dorm.

Hermione headed up to her own room, knowing that she had a lot of thinking to do.

*** *** ***

Ginny made her way down to the greenhouses for that evening's tutoring session with Neville. She hadn't seen him all day and she couldn't wait to get him alone. She hoped that tonight he'd ask her about Hogsmeade and maybe even the Yule Ball.

To make matters worse, she'd had to dodge Draco Malfoy all day. It hadn't been easy, but she'd managed it. The more she thought about it, the more she wondered what she'd ever seen in that egomaniac.

"Jerk," she muttered to herself as she recalled the way he'd acted when she had been unable to say yes to his invitation to Hogsmeade the first time.

When she walked into the greenhouse, she spotted Neville at one of the tables. His back was to her and he looked deep in concentration. Her heart did little flips as she watched him.

"Hey," she said softly after a few minutes.

Neville turned around and smiled at her. "Hey."

"You look all serious sitting there," Ginny said with a grin.

Neville chuckled. "Just catching up on something for class."

Ginny slid beside him. "You look really cute when you're serious..."

Neville blushed. "Well, you know..."

"I did those Herbology exercises you showed me," Ginny said, also blushing. "I think they really helped me out on our exam today."

Neville grinned. "Ginny, that's great!"

"I hope so," Ginny said as he hugged her. "We'll find out tomorrow."

"Should we get to work?" Neville asked. "We only have the greenhouse for an hour tonight."

"Sure," Ginny replied.

Neville opened up her textbook. "Well, let's see last time we were working on herbs."

"I think I've got those now," Ginny nodded. "But some of those exotic plants--"

"Which ones were giving you trouble?" Neville asked.

"Pretty much all of them on this page," Ginny said, showing him her textbook.

Neville nodded. "Okay, well we can start with those."

"Okay," Ginny answered, getting out a spare bit of parchment.

"See this one," Neville pointed to a picture of a large green plant. "This is Alocasia. It's distinctive because the leaves look like an elephant's ear. See?"

"I see," Ginny nodded, writing this down on her parchment. He explained several distinctive things about each plant and his words helped her remember what they were. "I get it now!"

Neville smiled at her. "It's just a matter of remembering the different characteristics. It makes it easier."

"I think it's the way you explained it to me," Ginny said softly. "You should be a teacher, Neville."

Neville blushed again. "That's what Professor Sprout said."

"Because you're brilliant," Ginny said. "And everyone knows it..."

"I'm great at one subject," he corrected her. "I get by in everything else."

"I happen to think you get by in more than one thing," Ginny leaned forward.

"Ginny," Neville whispered, leaning in as well.

This would be the PERFECT time for him to ask her out, Ginny thought.

"Mr. Longbottom?" Professor Sprout cleared her throat. "Are you and Miss Weasley finished? I need to close up."

"Oh," Neville turned red. "Yes Professor, we're done."

"Good evening," Professor Sprout said to them before retreating to her office.

"Walk me back?" Ginny asked, slightly disappointed.

"Of course," Neville said gathering their books.

"Thanks," Ginny said as he helped her with her bag. Maybe the night wasn't lost- they would be alone until they reached the common room.

"We should hurry," Neville said. "It's almost curfew."

"Right," Ginny slipped her hand into his.

Neville gave her hand a squeeze. "Let's go."

Ginny smiled at him, enjoying their walk back to the castle. "What a beautiful night," she said softly.

"It is," Neville agreed. "But I heard it might snow tomorrow."

"Snow will be nice for Hogsmeade," Ginny said with a meaningful look.

"That's this weekend, is it?" Neville asked.

"Right," Ginny said. "THIS weekend..."

"I'd forgotten," Neville said shyly. "You know with all that's gone on..."

"Right," Ginny replied. "But I'm looking forward to it..."

Neville guided her up the steps to the castle. "After you..."

"Thanks," Ginny said quietly.

"Everything okay?" Neville asked.

"Fine," Ginny answered. She wished he would take the hint already and ask her.

Neville took her hand again. He still couldn't believe that she fancied him. It all seemed like some kind of dream.

She wondered if he would even kiss her once they reached the common room. Did he not fancy her anymore now that he had her?

"Ginny?" Neville asked.

"Yes?" she asked eagerly.

"There's something that---" Neville began.

"Yes," Ginny said quickly.

"Red?"

Neville turned. "Malfoy? What---what are you doing here?"

"I'm Head Boy," Malfoy sneered. "I can go wherever I want."

"Neville and I were just heading back to the common room," Ginny said linking her arm with Neville's.

Malfoy's eyes bore into hers. "It's almost curfew."

"Which is why we're heading back to the common room," Ginny said glaring at him. "You have a mark on your neck..."

His eyes narrowed back. "Ten points from Gryffindor."

"Pansy Parkinson's handiwork?" Ginny guessed.

"Ginny, come on." Neville pulled at her arm. "We really should get back."

"A bloke does what he has to do to get by," Draco scoffed. "Where have you been, Red?"

"Studying," Ginny answered.

"With this fat lump?" Draco asked dismissively.

"Leave him alone," Ginny ordered.

"Come on, Red," Draco said. "Let's go find an empty classroom."

"I thought you said it was curfew," Ginny reminded him. "We should get back."

"Longbottom can hurry along," Draco said reaching for her. "Like a good little boy."

"I don't think so," Neville felt his face grow red in anger. "I'll have you know--"

"What are you going to do, Longbottom?" Draco asked getting in his face.

"Draco, stop..." Ginny pushed between them. "Please don't do this."

Draco looked at her. "You're taking up for that loser?"

"He's not a loser," Ginny said softly. "Don't be like this."

Draco rolled his eyes.

"Please," Ginny said. "Look, we're just going to go upstairs."

"You go up there with him and you can forget about me taking you to the ball," Draco threatened.

Ginny looked at him in disappointment. "Then I guess that's the way it has to be," she answered quietly.

"Good luck getting in her knickers, Longbottom," Draco said dismissively.

Neville didn't hesitate, his anger got the best of him and he reared back and punched Malfoy in the nose.

"Neville!" Ginny said in shock.

Malfoy fell to the floor and grabbed his nose. "You're going to pay for that, Longbottom!"

"Just leave Ginny alone," Neville took her arm. "Come on..."

Ginny had never seen Neville do anything like that. She was silent as he said the password to get into the tower.

"Thank you," she said once they were inside the common room. "For doing that. I don't know what I ever saw in Malfoy. You're so much better a person than he is, Neville."

"I think I might have broken my hand," Neville admitted.

"What?" Ginny asked in alarm. "We should get to the hospital wing then!"

He shook his head. He hadn't even wanted to admit that to her. "No, it's okay."

"But if you're hurt--" she insisted.

"I'm okay," Neville cut her off. "It's just---I've never hit anyone in my life..."

"You were brilliant," Ginny said softly.

Neville turned red. "I just didn't like him talking to you like that."

Ginny reached for his good hand. At that moment, it didn't matter so much that he had not asked her out yet.

"I know this might be early," Neville said looking at her. "But I---"

"Yes?" Ginny asked hopefully.

"I l-love you," Neville said quickly before he could chicken out.

Her eyes widened. "What?"

Neville frowned. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said it..."

"Neville..." Ginny said softly.

"I'm an idiot," Neville said. "Just---just forget I said anything..."

"You are not an idiot," Ginny put her hand on his arm. "It's just... you're the first guy I ever kissed and... with everything going on, this is just all new to me."

"So I didn't freak you out?" Neville asked hopefully.

"No," Ginny said truthfully. "You didn't."

Neville smiled at her. "I just wanted you to know is all. You don't have to say it back. I don't want to rush things. It's enough for me that you're here with me."

"I am with you," Ginny said softly.

Neville leaned in and kissed her.

Ginny put her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

Neville pulled away. "Wow.."

"I know," Ginny said. "You're really... really... good..."

"You are," Neville said softly. "Ginny?"

"Yeah?" she blinked, still a bit dazed from their kiss.

"Were you really going to go to the ball with Malfoy?" he asked her.

"If he asked," she answered with a sigh.

"Oh," Neville said quietly.

"Unless someone else was to ask me first," Ginny said looking up at him.

"Would you like to go to the ball with me?" Neville asked.

Ginny opened her mouth to say yes but encountered a now familiar and totally unwelcome problem. "Damn it..." she swore in frustration.

"What is it?" Neville asked. "Ginny---"

"I have to take care of something first," Ginny said. "But um... will you ask me again in a few days?"

Neville remembered what Harry had told him about the pact. He didn't say anything because as far as Ginny knew, he didn't know anything about that. "Okay."

"Thank you," Ginny gave him another kiss.

"I think I'm going to get some ice for my hand," Neville said. "But you go on up to bed."

"I'm going to study for a bit," Ginny said.

"Good night," Neville said giving her one last kiss.

"Night," Ginny watched him go with a smile.

Apparently, Hermione hadn't been asked to the ball yet.

She hadn't seen much of her friend over the past couple of days. Ginny decided to see if Hermione was up in her room.

Hermione answered the door a few moments later, dressed in her pyjamas and carrying a book. "Ginny? Is something wrong?"

"Has Harry asked you to the Yule Ball yet?" Ginny burst out.

Hermione was taken aback by the question. "No. The thing is that we're not really---"

"Hermione you have to go," Ginny pleaded.

"So you can go with Draco Malfoy?" Hermione asked. "Ginny, trust me----"

"I don't want to go with Draco," Ginny said. "I don't even like him. I want to go with Neville."

Hermione grabbed her friend by the arm and pulled her into the room. "Hang on..."

"What?" Ginny asked in confusion.

"Neville?" Hermione asked shutting the door behind them. "When did this happen? Two days ago, you were moony-eyed over Malfoy."

"He's just so sweet," Ginny relayed what had happened.

Hermione smiled. "Well, he's far and away the better guy for you."

Ginny glowed. "And tonight he told me he loved me!"

Hermione's smile grew even larger. "Ginny, that's fantastic."

"But I don't know if I'm in love with him," Ginny answered. "And I really, really want to go to the ball with him."

"Let me guess," Hermione said thoughtfully. "He asked and you couldn't say yes because I haven't been invited to the ball yet."

"Right," Ginny nodded.

Hermione looked away from her friend. The last thing she wanted to do was stand in the way of her happiness.

"So if Harry asks..." Ginny looked at her pleadingly.

"I don't think he will," Hermione said quietly.

"Why not?" Ginny asked. "I thought you two liked each other!"

Hermione finally met her friend's gaze. "Things were going well. Until the other day in class when I passed him a note."

"A note?" Ginny asked.

Hermione reached into her book and pulled out the wrinkled piece of parchment. She handed it to Ginny.

"Keep it a secret?" Ginny wrinkled her nose. "Why?"

Hermione shrugged. "I thought he was embarrassed by me. He says he's not. He said he just wanted our relationship to be about us, but I just don't know. And then he does that wonderful thing with S.P.E.W."

"That is rather sweet," Ginny nodded.

"I can't go through this again," Hermione said taking back the piece of parchment. "I can't."

"But what if he's really sorry?" Ginny asked.

"He said he was," Hermione said. "And he said he wasn't giving up on me."

"That's so, so romantic." Ginny said softly.

"I don't know what to do," Hermione said. "And like I said, he hasn't asked me to the ball. Truth be told, I hadn't even planned on going."

"Why not?" Ginny asked. "You HAVE to go!"

"He's probably not going to ask me," Hermione told her.

"I bet he will," Ginny said. "If not, I'll make him! I'm not missing the ball!"

"Ginny!" Hermione protested, but her friend was already heading for the door.

"I'll take care of it!" Ginny called.

Hermione sighed. She didn't want to stand in Ginny's way of going to the ball, but she certainly didn't relish getting hurt again.

Ginny flew down the stairs. "Harry?" she called. "Harry where are you?"

"Sleeping," Ron grumbled throwing up the bedroom door. "Ginny, what the hell are you squawking about?"

"I need to talk to Harry," Ginny said. "Right now!"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Go to bed, Ginny."

"Harry!" Ginny bellowed.

Harry appeared behind Ron a few moments later, his hair a dishevelled mess. He didn't have on his glasses and he stared sleepily at Ginny. "What's going on?"

"I need to have a word," Ginny crossed her arms.

"Now?" Harry asked rubbing at his eyes.

"Please," Ginny said in a softer tone.

"Girls," Ron said shaking his head as went back to bed.

Harry stepped out into the hallway with Ginny. "Is something wrong?"

"Are you going to ask Hermione to the Yule Ball?" she asked. "And to Hogsmeade this weekend?"

Harry sighed. "It's complicated..."

"Just ask her," Ginny said. "I'm positive she'll go with you."

Harry looked at her and wondered if Hermione had confided in her about what had happened. "You think?"

Ginny nodded. "The sooner the better."

"I'll ask her tomorrow," Harry said wondering if he was setting himself up for yet another rejection. This answer didn't pacify Ginny though and she folded her arms and looked expectantly at him. "What? You want me to ask her now? She's probably asleep..."

"No she's not," Ginny said brightly. "She's up in her room, wide awake."

"You're not going to drop this, are you?" Harry asked.

"Nope," Ginny replied.

"Fine," Harry said yawning. "I'll do it now."

Ginny beamed. "Wonderful!"

"Good night, Ginny," Harry said heading for the staircase leading to the Head Girl's room.

Ginny was thrilled. By this time tomorrow, she would have Neville as her date to the Yule Ball.

Harry hesitated before he knocked on Hermione's door. The last thing he wanted to do was piss her off anymore than he already had. He'd told her he'd give her some space, but here he was in the middle of the night knocking on her door.

"Just a minute, Ginny." Hermione pushed back her covers. She'd been in the middle of a good chapter of her book and wasn't happy that the redhead girl was back.

She opened the door and was surprised to see Harry Potter looking a little worse for the wear. "Where are your glasses?"

"In my room," Harry replied. "And I can't really see that well right now without them..."

"Oh," Hermione said. "What um... what are you doing here?"

"I was in the neighbourhood?" Harry said dryly.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Look, I'm quite tired. Can't this wait until a decent hour?"

"No," Harry said. "There's something I need to ask you. It'll only take a minute."

Hermione sighed. "Potter--"

"Back to last names, are we?" Harry asked, trying not to stare at the strap of her top that was falling off her shoulder.

"When it's this late and I'm not in bed?" Hermione asked crisply. "Yes."

This wasn't going that well. "Well, I'll just get to the point. I was wondering if you might want to go to the Yule Ball with me? And Hogsmeade this weekend, too..."

"What?" Hermione asked. "Look- I already told you--"

"To give you your space," Harry finished. "I'm sorry, but I wanted to ask you before someone else got to you first."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Because the blokes are beating down my door..."

"I got here just in time then," Harry said leaning against the door frame.

Hermione sighed. "Harry, I don't know, okay? I'm still thinking about things."

"Anything I can do to help clear things up for you?" he asked, stepping closer.

She involuntarily shivered. "No..."

He reached out and pulled the strap of her top back up on her shoulder.

Hermione felt her body tremble at his touch.

"I've missed you," he said softly.

It was so hard for her to stay mad at him when he was looking at her like this.

"You're shivering," Harry said his eyes boring into hers.

"I can't help it," Hermione whispered.

"Cold?" Harry asked.

"No," she shook her head.

"Me?" Harry asked cupping her face in his hands.

"Yes..." Hermione shivered again.

He brushed his lips against hers.

"Harry..." Hermione whimpered softly.

"Say you'll go with me?" Harry asked. "Please?"

"Okay," Hermione closed her eyes.

Harry pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

Hermione stepped back into her room, still kissing him, and shut the door behind him.

"I knew you wouldn't be able to turn me down," he said grinning lazily at her. This was a lie because he'd convinced himself that she'd never say yes after what had happened.

"Don't push it," she poked him in the shoulder. "And tonight, you're staying here."

"Am I?" Harry asked.

"Yes," she looked up at him.

"You'll need to help me downstairs in the morning," he said smiling at her. "My glasses are still in my room and I'm blind as a bat without them."

"We can work something out," Hermione kissed him again.

Harry made a mental note to thank Ginny for telling him to go upstairs to Hermione.

She didn't pull him towards the bed, but to the sofa set up in the corner of the room.

Harry would have followed her anywhere. He was just happy that they weren't fighting anymore. There was still that feeling of guilt that he should tell her about that stupid bet with Malfoy, but he didn't want to ruin things.

"Harry," Hermione whispered. "I want to trust you so much..."

He tensed up and pulled away from her. "What?"

"I know I haven't been easy to get along with," Hermione said, looking at him intently. "And I know I reacted a bit badly to that note you wrote me. But I don't' trust people easily. I don't like being messed about. But something is telling me to trust you... and I'm going to try."

Harry felt even guiltier at her words. Why had he ever taken Malfoy up on his offer? If this got out, and chances are it would, Hermione would never forgive him.

"Harry?" she asked, also tensing up.

"I don't deserve you," he said softly.

"Why do you say that?" she asked.

"I've done some things that I'm not proud of," he said unable to meet her gaze.

"Like what?" Hermione reached for his hand. "You mean like things with Voldemort?"

"Yes," Harry said which was partly true. "But---"

"Whatever you did with Voldemort is in the past," Hermione interrupted him.

"I wish it were that easy," Harry said touching her cheek.

She nodded. "I know..."

"I never want to hurt you," he said resting his forehead against hers. "Never."

Hermione closed her eyes, her body growing warm at his nearness. "I don't think you will," she ventured.

"I never want to," Harry said truthfully.

"Okay," Hermione smiled at him. "So we can start over again..."

"You know that I didn't mean anything with that note, right?" Harry asked her. "I just want what we have to be ours. It's no one else's business, Hermione."

"I understand," Hermione nodded.

Harry leaned back against the sofa and Hermione cuddled up close to him, resting her head on his shoulder. "That's my girl."

Hermione smiled, liking the way those words sounded. "I'm glad you came up."

"Me too," Harry said putting his arms around her. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," she admitted. "I sort of got used to you once I stopped disliking you so much."

"I wasn't that bad, was I?" he teased.

"Not really," Hermione kissed him again.

Harry smiled. "For a bossy know-it-all, you're not that bad, either."

Hermione poked him. "Excuse me?"

"I happen to love bossy know-it alls," Harry said poking her back.

She laughed. "I bet you do."

"One in particular," Harry said nuzzling her neck.

"What are you saying?" Hermione grew serious.

Harry looked at her and said the words that he'd never said to another person. "I'm falling in love with you, Hermione Granger."

Hermione nearly felt her heart stop. Words wouldn't come and she simply stared at him.

"It scares me to death," Harry admitted.

"Scares me a little too," Hermione said quietly.

"I didn't mean to," he said hastily. "I have this bad habit of getting too far ahead of myself."

"It's okay," Hermione replied. "Um... but Harry--"

"You don't have to say it," he assured her.

"I just don't think I'm quite there yet," Hermione told him.

He kissed her. "We have time. Loads of time."

Her smile returned. "And we can get to know each other better."

"I definitely like that," Harry said giving her another kiss.

Perhaps this relationship thing wasn't so bad after all, she thought as she ran her fingers through his hair. And perhaps being with Harry wasn't so bad either.

"It's late," Harry said softly. "Perhaps we should...get to bed?"

She swallowed. "Okay," she agreed. She told herself to trust Harry, and Hermione also knew she wouldn't allow herself to go past a certain point.

He stood up and offered her his hand.

Hermione took it and he helped her up. "My bed's pretty comfortable," she said nervously.

He could sense something was wrong and he squeezed her hand. "You don't have to do this, Hermione. I can go downstairs."

"It's not that," Hermione shook her head. "This is all just really, really new to me."

"We're just going to sleep," He promised.

"Okay," Hermione nodded. "Just sleep..."

"Just sleep," Harry repeated. "So you better not try anything."

"Look who's talking," Hermione smiled, and suddenly felt more at ease.

Harry laughed. "Okay...so which side is yours?"

"The right," she answered.

Harry pulled back the covers. "I don't have to listen to Ron and Neville snoring all night."

"That's part of what I love about having my own room," Hermione slid underneath her blanket. "No one to bother me."

"You don't miss Lavender and Parvati then?" Harry asking sliding in beside her.

"Not especially," Hermione wrinkled her nose. "They're so superficial."

"I like my roommates." Harry said thoughtfully. "They're kind of like my family."

"The only one I get along with is Neville," Hermione turned on her side.

Harry put his arm around her. "Ron's not so bad."

"We've never gotten along," Hermione said, unconsciously snuggling back against him. "He's impossible."

"He said the same thing about you," Harry whispered.

"Well then you of all people should know that he's wrong," Hermione answered softly.

Harry kissed her shoulder. "Mmmhmmm."

Hermione closed her eyes as a wave of pleasure washed over her.

Harry knew he was pushing his boundaries, but he couldn't help it. Her skin was so soft and she smelled so good and she was so close.

Hermione shifted as he pulled her back against his stomach. Her skin tingled when he ran his hand over her hip.

"This okay?" he whispered against her skin.

"Yes," she answered softly.

"So much for just sleep," he said huskily.

Hermione suddenly felt wide awake. "Harry--"

"Yeah?"

"I... I like you," she said. "But I can't go there. Not yet."

"Sorry," he said hastily. "I got carried away."

"I just want you to know where I stand," Hermione told him. "I like kissing you, and I don't mind some... um... touching... but that's it. For now." she added.

"Right," Harry agreed. "I can be patient."

"Thank you," Hermione put a hand on his cheek, sliding her fingers into his hair again.

"You're going to be worth the wait," he said giving her one last kiss.

She smiled again. "Good night."

Harry closed his eyes, but his mind was reeling. He'd made up his mind. He was going to tell Malfoy that this deal was off. Besides, Ginny fancied Neville now.

He opened his eyes after a few moments and looked at Hermione, who had already fallen asleep. He hadn't realised just how much he was starting to enjoy her company until he'd told her how he felt earlier.

The last thing he wanted to do was hurt her, but given what had happened so far, he was afraid that was exactly what was going to happen. Perhaps he would find something to hold over Malfoy's head so the Slytherin would keep quiet about their agreement.

For the time being, that seemed like the better solution. But for now, Harry just wanted to enjoy being with her again.

"I'm not going to let you down," he said gently placing a kiss to her forehead. "I promise."