Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

We are so, so, so, SO sorry about this being late! Please forgive us- it's been a crazy few weeks! This chapter will hopefully answer some of the questions you guys had about the first one!

Being first on the train really had its benefits, Hermione knew this. It gave her the pick of the compartments, and as always, she chose the one nearest the front. It was next to the compartment where she would be in for the Prefect and Head Boy and Girl meeting, and she would be first when the witch with the food cart came along.

Hermione Granger was used to being first. Being first in her class came due to her hard work, and the rest just seemed to fall into place from there. She knew she was first in line to be picked for Head Girl and thus was not surprised when the owl arrived bearing this news.

"Now, to find out who the Head Boy is," Hermione murmured after settling her things into her chosen compartment. There was always a list of the Prefects posted up next to the meeting compartment on the train and she now grasped it in her hand disbelievingly. "Draco Malfoy?" she asked in amazement. "What… how…"

"Like it Granger?" the sneering voice she hated most in the world was heard next to her. "We're going to be working together for a whole year… aren't you excited?"

"Hardly," Hermione's tone was icy. "I'm not quite sure what Dumbledore was thinking when he made you Head Boy."

"Better me than Weasley," Draco said silkily, fingering his badge. "It's obvious though that the picking of the Head Girl and Boy is definitely not a popularity contest. If it were, you'd never be here right now."

"Sod off Malfoy," Hermione thrust the list at him. "I don't like this any better than you do."

Draco snatched the list away and pinned it next to the door. "I'll see you at the meeting Granger," he said coolly.

"Can't wait," Hermione replied sarcastically, turning to leave and bumping into another figure that had just appeared behind her. "Watch where you're going," she snapped.

"Sorry," the person said, a smooth, rich baritone of a voice. She looked up and found herself face to face with Harry Potter. Ever since his defeat over the Dark Lord Voldemort the past year, he'd become more self assured, more cocky than he used to be.

Hermione had always thought him to be interesting, yet no one ever really got to know him. "Well… watch out next time," she said, her voice stumbling a bit as she turned to go back to her compartment.

"Congratulations on making Head Girl," he said, catching her hand in his.

"Thanks," she said warily. "What are you doing up here?"

"Checking the prefect list," Harry nodded to it.

"Oh," she said. "Have fun with that." She noticed he was still holding her hand. His palm was soft yet had a firm masculine feel to it. "You can let go of me now," Hermione said, trying to pull away.

"Sorry," he flashed perfect white teeth at her.

For some reason, his smile made something in her stomach tighten as she successfully pulled away. "Right," she said, turning around, her long bushy hair flying out behind her before going back into her compartment.

Hermione sat down on the bench and reached for her bag. She pulled out a Grade 7 spell book and tried to immerse herself into it, but her mind couldn't help straying back to a certain pair of green eyes.

*** *** ***

The train was halfway to Hogwarts when the Prefect meeting finally got out. Ginny was sitting alone in a compartment, waiting for her brother and Harry to come back as she looked over the latest copy of Witch Weekly.

The compartment door slid open and Ginny smiled as her friend Luna Lovegood came in. "Mind if I sit here Ginny?" she asked in her typical dreamy fashion. With her wand tucked behind one ear and an upside down copy of the Quibbler under an arm, Luna Lovegood was a rather interesting individual. That was part of the reason Ginny liked her- the girl simply went through life at her own pace and didn't let anyone dissuade her.

"Of course not," Ginny replied. "I'm just waiting for everyone to get back from the Prefect meeting. I'm not sure where Harry went though- he's probably going to get Quidditch captain so he's not a prefect."

"Maybe he's just being friendly," Luna said, pulling out her Quibbler.

"Maybe," Ginny replied, going back to her Witch Weekly.

It was only a few minutes later that Ginny looked up at another light tapping on the compartment door. Her heart literally leapt into her throat as she smiled up at Draco Malfoy.

"Hello," he said, smoothly pushing the door aside. Luna looked up for a moment then back down at her newspaper. "Ginny, right?"

"Right," she said, setting her magazine aside.

He sat down next to her, crossing one leg over the other. "I heard a very interesting rumour about you," he said, leaning close.

"You did?" Ginny asked, pushing her long, straight red hair over her shoulder. "What might that be?"

"Well…" Draco said, leaning in even closer as if he was about to divulge a big secret. "I heard… that you're able to date."

Ginny smiled. "I guess that means you heard right," she flirted back, smiling coquettishly.

"So maybe we'll have to go out sometime this year," Draco said.

"Sure," Ginny replied. "That sounds like it could be fun."

"I promise to make it fun," Draco said, leaning in until his lips were almost touching hers. He liked to play this game with girls.

"Okay," she breathed, her heart fluttering madly.

"So I'll be in touch," Draco got up, smoothing his uniform out. "I'll see you around school," he gave her a charming smile and touched her cheek before slipping out of the compartment.

Ron was inside a few minutes later, Harry tagging behind him. "What was that git doing in here?" he demanded.

"He came in to say hi," Ginny said, red faced. "Being nice, you know?"

"Malfoy is not nice," Ron said indignantly. "Oh… hi Luna." His face also turned red.

"Hello Ronald," Luna replied, not raising her eyes from her newspaper.

Harry grinned at Ron. "Good move mate," he said, sitting down on the seat closest to the door and stretching his legs across to the other side. "I'm going to kip."

"Well how are we supposed to get out?" Ron asked. "And more importantly, how are we supposed to get food when the witch with the cart comes by?"

"I'm sure you'll figure something out," Harry grinned at Ginny and Luna before stretching much like a cat.

Ginny shook her head. She'd had a major crush on Harry the first few years she was at Hogwarts but when she realised that he would see her as nothing other than a little sister she'd given up on it.

"You know Harry, I think I liked you better when you used to be more quiet and shy, Ron complained, sitting next to Luna. "What are you reading?" He asked, moving closer to her on the bench. Harry and Ginny exchanged amused looks as Luna continued to be completely oblivious to Ron's advances.

"Just Daddy's paper," Luna replied vaguely. "Did you see this article about doxies and their everyday use in Wizarding households?"

"No," Ron replied, moving closer. "But it sounds fascinating."

Harry snorted and rested his head against the seat. "Wake me up when we get to school mate. Or if my stomach starts growling."

"Whatever Potter," Ron glared at his so called best friend and slumped against the seat.

After the Prefect meeting on the train, Hermione returned huffily to her compartment. Her perfect year wouldn't be so perfect with Malfoy being Head Boy. "Why does he have to ruin everything," she said, pulling her old tattered copy of Hogwarts, a History out of her bag.

"Like reading," Hermione nodded. She'd gone a few pages in when a knock sounded on the door.

"Hi Hermione..." Shy, quiet Neville Longbottom poked his head in. "Can... can I sit with you? No one else will let me in their compartment."

Hermione smiled at him. "Of course."

"Thank you," he said in relief.

"How were your hols?" she asked politely.

"Fine," Neville said. "Gran and I visited my parents a lot."

"That's great," Hermione said. Neville was the closest thing she had a friend at Hogwarts. "I'm sure they were happy to see you."

"I don't really know if they recognised me or not," Neville mumbled, not meeting her eyes. Hermione was the only person at Hogwarts who knew about his parents.

"I'm sure they do," Hermione reassured him. "And you know that researchers have been working really hard to find a cure for that curse, Neville."

Neville only nodded, and turned to look out the window.

Hermione returned to her book and for a few minutes she enjoyed the quiet. But, the door to their compartment slid open again and she looked up to see Lavender Brown. "Have you seen Harry Potter?"

"No," Hermione said curtly, rolling her eyes.

Lavender frowned. "Some second year thought she saw him back here." She looked over at Neville. "Have you seen him, Nev?"

Neville shook his head. "No..."

"Look, I told you he wasn't here," Hermione said sharply. "Could you leave us alone?"

Lavender glared at her. "I should have known he'd not be back here with you."

"Yes, you should have," Hermione smirked at her. "Run along."

Lavender tossed her hair back and then stalked out of the compartment.

Hermione shook her head. She didn't see how people like Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil passed any of their classes. Most of the time those two airheads were following some boy around the halls, giggling and squealing and acting like complete idiots.

"I think I'm going to get something to eat," Neville said. "Did you want anything?"

Hermione shook her head. "No thanks."

"I'll be right back," Neville took his money pouch and left.

Neville left the compartment door open and Hermione could hear some fourth-year girls giggling out in the corridor.

"I walked past his compartment," one of the girls was saying. "He was asleep. I practically melted. He is so hot."

"He's so hot," Hermione mimicked.

"And he has the greenest eyes," the girl gushed. "And he's just soooooo.....sooooo...."

Hermione got up and glared at the two girls. "You should be in your compartments," she barked.

"We're not doing anything wrong," one of them retorted. "We haven't seen each other all summer."

"Go visit in your compartment," Hermione said, her Head Girl badge blinking in the sunlight. "Or there will be points taken before you even get back."

"Fine," the taller girl said rolling her eyes. "Come on, Missy. Let's go walk past Harry's compartment again."

Hermione banged the compartment door shut as they disappeared down the corridor. "Idiots," she muttered.

She had never behaved that way and she certainly wouldn't do it over some stupid boy. This was going to be a perfect year, she vowed. She'd just ignore Malfoy and not let him get to her.

*** *** ***

The students had been back at Hogwarts for a few days now, and were settling into their routine of classes. Ginny came down to breakfast that day, still yawning. She'd been up late the night before with her roommates.

She made her way over to the Gryffindor table, bypassing Hermione Granger who had her nose in a book, as usual.

None of her friends were downstairs yet so she took an empty seat beside Neville Longbottom.

"Morning," she said to him, reaching for some eggs.

Neville tried to speak, but couldn't. He was always that way around the redhead. Ever since his third year, he'd had a crush on the younger girl and he'd tried to work up the courage to talk to her.

"Are you okay?" she asked when he choked out a few words.

"Uh," Neville stammered. "Y-yes. I'm f-fine."

"Are you excited about being a seventh year?" Ginny asked him.

Neville nodded. "And you? Are you....are you excited about it too?"

"I'm only a sixth year," she reminded him. "But so far, so good."

"Oh right," he laughed nervously.

Ginny smiled at him. "Are you sure you're okay? You look a little ..green?"

"Fine," Neville remembered to breathe. "I'm... just fine."

Dean and Seamus chose that moment to join them and the two boys stared appraisingly at Ginny.

"Hello, Miss Weasley, " Dean said flirtatiously.

Ginny smiled. "Hi Dean, hi Seamus."

Neville was only slightly relieved to see his roommates. For one thing, he didn't have to rack his brain for something interesting to say to Ginny. But, on the other hand, he now had to compete with his more outgoing friends for her attention.

"I'm going to go and get some more toast," Ginny said looking at the empty plate. "Can I get you lot anything else?"

"Allow me," Seamus said. "Anything you'd like, just let me know." he jumped up from the bench.

Ginny laughed. "Oh---thanks."

Dean glared at his friend. "I'll get you some juice," he grabbed for her goblet. "Pumpkin? Orange?"

"I'd kind of like some apple juice," Ginny admitted. "If it's not too much trouble..."

"Apple it is," Dean replied. "I'll check all the jugs until I find it."

Ginny smiled to herself. She could definitely get used to this. She turned to Neville. "So, what's your first class this morning? I have Potions, unfortunately."

"Uh..." Neville's hand trembled as he reached for his own goblet. "I have Herbology..."

"I heard that you're quite good at that," Ginny commented.

He flushed a deep red colour. "I'm not that great," he mumbled.

"You're just being modest," Ginny said touching his arm.

His hand shook so hard when she touched him that his goblet slipped through his fingers, splashing juice all over both of them.

Ginny gasped. "Oh!"

"I'm so sorry!" Neville grabbed some napkins.

"Way to go, Longbottom," Seamus said setting the plate of toast aside and withdrawing his wand. "Here, Gin...let me clean that up for you."

"I've got it," Ginny took the napkins.

"Ginny, I'm sorry," Neville said cursing himself for his clumsiness. "I really, really am."

"Its okay," Ginny replied, blotting out the juice then using her own wand to clean up. "Good as new."

"Maybe you should sit down there with the old maid," Seamus said crossly to Neville.

"I...I... it was an accident," Neville stuttered.

"Its fine," Ginny said firmly. "And don't call Hermione an old maid, Seamus."

"It's what she is," Seamus said looking toward the bushy-haired brunette who was scribbling something on a piece of parchment.

"She's not so bad," Ginny said softly. "She's just different is all."

"She's really nice to me," Neville said quietly.

"Whoop de doo," Seamus said sarcastically as Dean came back.

Neville grabbed his bag and prepared to go. He'd already embarrassed himself enough for one day.

"Wait up, Neville," Ginny said.

"What?" Neville asked.

"Would you mind walking me to the dungeons?" Ginny asked softly. "I hate walking down there by myself."

He nearly dropped his bag. "You want ME to walk you down there?"

She nodded. "It's a little out of your way, I know, but I'd really appreciate it."

"I... I'd like--" he began but was cut off as Draco Malfoy walked up.

"Weaslette," Draco said leering at her. "How is it that you make that uniform look so good?"

Ginny blushed. "Hi Draco."

Draco pushed Neville out of the way. "Hello....."

Ginny blushed even harder. "I um... I'm heading down to the dungeons for my Potions class..."

"Would you let me have the honour of walking you?" Draco asked grinning at her.

"Okay..." Ginny replied, forgetting about Neville completely.

Neville watched in dismay as Ginny took Draco's hand. The two of them walked out of the Great Hall together.

"You lost out," Seamus chuckled.

"Shut it, Seamus," Neville grumbled.

"Oooh," Seamus grinned. "Cocky this morning, are we?"

Neville glared at his two roommates before leaving the Great Hall.

Hermione had watched everything unfold and she couldn't believe Ginny would forget about Neville for that horrid Draco Malfoy.

"He's such a slimy, self centred git," Hermione shook her head.

"I hope you're not talking about me," a voice said from behind her.

Hermione turned around and saw Harry Potter grinning lazily at her. "Shouldn't you be sitting with your fan club?"

"Fan club?" Harry asked.

Hermione motioned toward the Ravenclaw table where a group of girls were staring dreamily at him. "Fan club."

"They don't even know me," Harry pointed out.

Hermione shrugged and folded up her piece of parchment. She stuffed it into her bag. "Have you finished your Charms essay?" she asked conversationally.

"No," he replied.

"It's due this afternoon," she reminded him. "I did a little more than what was assigned, but I just couldn't stop myself."

"You don't say," Harry smiled at her. "I'll probably get it done at lunch."

"That's cutting it close," Hermione said shaking her head. "What's your topic, by the way?"

"Haven't picked one," Harry shrugged.

Hermione stared at him in disbelief. "You haven't picked a topic yet?"

"I'll do it at lunch," Harry replied.

"How can you be so lackadaisical?" Hermione asked.

Harry laughed. "I've never heard that word before in my life."

"It means apathetic," Hermione explained.

"I'm not apathetic," Harry replied. "I'll get my work done when it needs to be done."

"Suit yourself," Hermione said reaching for a piece of toast.

Harry sat down across from her and got himself something to eat as well. He watched her as she opened a well worn book and started to read again

"Are you just going to sit there and watch me?" she asked pointedly a few minutes later.

"I might," Harry replied. "Since you don't want to talk to me..."

"I'm busy," she informed him.

"You're always busy," Harry said looking at her book. "What is that, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Hogwarts, a History," she showed him the cover.

"What are you reading that for?" Harry asked taking the book and thumbing through it.

Hermione snatched it back. "You lost my place!"

"Sorry," Harry said studying her face.

She stuffed the book into her bag and stood up. "I'll just go to the library," she snapped. "I can get some peace and quiet there."

"I'll go with you," Harry said draining his glass.

"No thank you," Hermione was already walking away.

"Come on," Harry said. "I'm going in that direction anyway."

"Good for you," she walked quicker.

He wondered why she didn't want any company. He wasn't going to press the issue. That's what he got for being friendly.

Hermione was still quite a ways ahead of him as he followed her upstairs.

He could hear her muttering to herself, although he couldn't make out any of the words.

"Are you going to Quidditch tryouts then?" Harry asked her, trying to be friendly.

"Why would I go to Quidditch tryouts?" she asked him without turning around.

"I'm just asking," he replied.

"Look," Hermione spun around. "I'm not into your little sport, okay? I just want to study hard and keep my marks up this year."

"Okay, Granger," Harry said after a few moments. "Just trying to make conversation. But you know...there is a world outside those books of yours. You're missing out on quite a bit."

She sent him a patronizing glare. "I don't think I'm missing out on anything," she said testily. Hermione glanced over at the bulletin board and narrowed her eyes as she saw a sign about the Yule Ball that had been announced their first night back. She ripped it off and balled it up before spinning on her heel and marching away.

Harry stared after her for a few moments before picking up the balled up sign.

"Hullo, Harry," Neville said glumly.

"Hi," Harry glanced at the other boy. Aside from Ron, Harry didn't really know any of the other guys in his dormitory. He tended to keep to himself most of the time.

"You planning on going to that?" Neville asked looking at the sign in Harry's hands.

Harry shrugged. "Probably not. Isn't really my thing."

"Me either," Neville said. "But you'd have no problem getting a date. Me, on the other hand..."

"I'm sure you could get any date you wanted," Harry answered as he tossed the sign into the rubbish bin.

"Not the one I really want," Neville mumbled.

"Hmm," Harry said noncommittally as they turned the corner, bumping into a blond figure. "Watch where you're going, Malfoy."

"You were in my way, Potter," Malfoy retorted. "Longbottom...you're still here?"

Neville glared back at him.

"Just move along," Harry said coolly.

"I'm going to the greenhouses just like you," Malfoy told them. "Contrary to popular belief, you don't make the rules around here, Potter."

Harry rolled his eyes. "No one asked you to speak, Malfoy. The world's a better place when you're silent."

Neville chuckled. He wished he was brave enough to tell Malfoy off like that.

"Find something funny, Longbottom?" Malfoy snapped.

"Leave him alone, Malfoy," Harry said opening the door. "Come on, Neville."

Neville hurried after the black haired boy. "Thanks..." he said quietly.

"No problem," Harry said. "So, who is it you want to take to the ball?"