Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

This is a rather fun chapter, as you get the 'flying lesson' and then some of the Hogsmeade dates. We hope you enjoy it and please let us know what you think!

Just outside the Great Hall, Neville was psyching himself up to ask Ginny to Hogsmeade. Harry had told him that Draco hadn't asked her yet and that now would be a prime opportunity.

"Ginny," Neville practised. "Would you...would you want to go to Hogsmeade with me? Or maybe, Ginny, would you do me the honour of going to Hogsmeade with me?"

"Talking to yourself?" Seamus asked, coming up behind him.

"No," Neville replied. "I was just thinking aloud..."

"Well come on," Seamus nudged him. "Before all the breakfast is gone."

"I'm---I'm gonna wait here for a moment," Neville said. "You go on and I'll catch up to you later."

"Ookay..." Seamus gave him a strange look but headed inside.

Neville paced in front of the doors. "Ginny, I've fancied you for quite some time and I was hoping that you would go with me to Hogsmeade? Maybe I should be more firm...Weasley---you! Me. Hogsmeade."

He considered this for a moment. "Merlin, I sound like a caveman."

Neville sighed. "Best just to go in and do it..."

He took a few deep breaths before opening the door and stepping inside.

He spotted her sitting back down at the Gryffindor table next to her friend Sarah. He straightened his spine and walked towards her, trying not to show how nervous he really was.

"...and then he gave me this big hug," Ginny was saying to Sarah. "I swear I melted. Sarah, I cannot believe he's taking me to Hogsmeade!"

Neville stopped completely still just a few paces behind the redhead.

Sarah turned and spotted him. "Hi, Neville."

"H--hi..." Neville stammered.

Ginny smiled at him. "I was wondering when you were going to get here!"

"You were?" he asked.

Ginny nodded and looked at her friend. "Sarah? Can I catch up to you later? Neville and I have something to discuss."

"Sure," Sarah replied, getting up. "I have to work on my essay for Charms."

"I'll see you later," Ginny said before returning her attention to Neville. She patted the empty space beside her. "Sit down, lover boy."

Neville suddenly remembered what Ginny had said the night before about helping him get his girl. "Uh..." he began.

Ginny reached into her bag for a quill and a piece of parchment. "Okay...you don't have to tell me who she is, but you can tell me about her. Like, how long have you known her?"

He sighed. "A long time," Neville decided to give as sketchy an answer as possible.

Ginny wrote this down. "Okay...and would you say that you know her quite well?"

"I suppose," Neville looked away from her.

Ginny smiled. "And what do you like most about her?"

"She's really nice?" he said as if asking.

"You are such a guy," Ginny giggled. "Come on. Get specific, Neville! Tell me how she makes you feel when you see her. Tell me what it is about her that made you fancy her. Details, my friend, details."

He shook his head. "Ginny... I... I don't want you to do this."

Ginny touched his arm. "I want to do this, Neville. It's really important to me."

"But it's impossible," Neville said. "She won't see me like I see her. It's okay."

"You don't know unless you try. You just need confidence, Neville."

"That's not it," he shook his head and stood up. "Just drop it. Please."

"Neville--"

"I have to go," he said, backing away.

"Oh," Ginny said frowning. "Neville, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I'd never want to do that."

"It's okay," he mumbled. "But I just have to go."

"Alright," Ginny said. "We're still on for later, right?"

"Later?" he asked stupidly. "Oh... to study. Yeah..."

"Greenhouses at two, right?" Ginny asked.

He nodded. "Okay."

Ginny smiled at him. "Thanks again for all that you've done for me."

He blushed. "Anytime..."

He walked out of the Great Hall feeling about as low as he could ever remember feeling.

He aimlessly walked around the castle for a little while before running into Harry. "It didn't work," he said dully.

"Malfoy got to her first," Harry said angrily. "Damn..."

Neville shrugged. "Guess it's not going to happen."

Harry shook his head. "Neville...there's something you should know..."

"What?" he asked.

Harry told him about the pact between Hermione and Ginny and then about his subsequent wager with Malfoy. "I agreed to it because I thought if Hermione went out with me, you'd be able to go out with Ginny."

Neville pondered this for a moment. "Malfoy must know too then," he said.

Harry nodded. "But he doesn't know why I'm really going along with it. You're still in with a chance, Nev."

"You'd really do this just to help me out?" Neville asked.

Harry nodded. "You and Ginny."

"Thanks," Neville said quietly. "But don't string along Hermione either. I know she's not that nice to you, but she's always been kind of a friend to me. And I don't want her to get hurt."

"I'm not going to hurt her," Harry promised. "And I think she's starting to thaw."

Neville nodded. "I'll see you Harry. Thanks for trying."

"Don't give up," Harry told him.

Neville only shrugged again and headed towards the tower to get his books.

Harry headed out for the pitch. He was a little early but he figured that'd be a good thing where Hermione was concerned.

Once outside the castle, he hopped on his broom and took off. He always felt better when he was up in the air.

Malfoy really didn't waste any time. Harry figured the bastard was going to take Ginny to that room he always used on girls. Ginny was like a little sister to him and he'd do anything to keep her away from Malfoy.

He knew Ginny would never believe him if he tried to tell her, and to let Ron in on this would be even worse. For now, he decided not to say anything and hope Ginny would come to her senses.

His thoughts were interrupted when he spotted Hermione walking onto the pitch. She wore her brown hair pulled back into a ponytail. He couldn't resist showing off a bit for her benefit.

He flipped himself around in the air, going up high then back down in a rather spectacular dive.

Hermione looked up at him and hoped that he wouldn't try any of those acrobatics when she was up there with him.

He landed with a soft thump and headed towards her with a grin. "Hey."

"Hi," Hermione said quietly.

"Like that?" he asked, jerking his head towards the sky.

Hermione shrugged. "I suppose it's okay if you like that sort of thing."

"You will," Harry assured her. "Flying is great. Really helps you clear your head."

"You think my head needs clearing?" Hermione asked folding her arms.

Harry raised a hand. "I didn't say that. I'm just telling you what it does for me."

"Sorry," Hermione said. "I'm just a little nervous."

"Don't be," he answered.

"You promise nothing bad will happen?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing bad will happen," Harry replied.

"Okay," Hermione said softly.

"Are you ready?" he asked. "We can use my broom."

Hermione nodded. "Um, what do we do?"

"Get on," Harry answered.

"In the front?" Hermione asked.

He nodded.

Hermione felt very nervous as she got on the broom. "Um..."

"I'll guide us," Harry said in her ear. "You just get a feel for being in the air."

"Don't go up too high, okay?" Hermione asked in a high-pitched voice.

"I won't take us past the goal posts," Harry promised.

Hermione nodded, her hands shaking as she placed them on the broomstick.

Harry gently pulled up and they rose into the air.

Hermione let out a yelp and closed her eyes.

He chuckled. "Come on. It's not that bad. We're only fifteen feet up." he felt her hands loosen up.

"Only fifteen feet?" Hermione asked turning slightly to look at him. "Only fifteen feet? Oh....oh....oh...I think I'm going to be sick."

He thought she was being highly overdramatic. "Fifteen feet is nothing."

"Maybe for you," Hermione said closing her eyes again.

"You're not going to learn to enjoy it if you keep up like this," Harry told her.

"What do you suggest then?" Hermione asked.

"Relax," Harry said. "You won't fall."

"Okay," Hermione said opening her eyes. There wasn't that many clouds in the sky and the sun was shining brightly. It was actually kind of nice, she had to admit.

"There we go," Harry said as her body unconsciously relaxed against his.

"It must be nice not to be scared of anything," Hermione said to him.

"I wouldn't say that," Harry answered. "I have my own fears."

Hermione didn't believe that. "Such as?"

Harry was silent for a few long moments. "Let's just leave it at I have my own fears, for now."

"I didn't mean to intrude," Hermione apologised.

"You didn't," Harry replied. "But I don't want to go into it."

Hermione nodded. "I don't like admitting that I'm scared of anything. I think the Sorting Hat made a mistake when it put me in Gryffindor. I'm always doing the safe thing, you know? I'd be more suitable to Ravenclaw."

"The Sorting Hat knows what it's doing," Harry replied. "If it put you in Gryffindor, that's where you belong."

Hermione smiled. "Thanks."

Harry nodded. "Let's try a bit higher."

"Alright," Hermione agreed.

"Just pull up a little," Harry said. "Not too much or we'll shoot up."

Hermione did as he instructed. "Like this?"

"Exactly," Harry said. "Good job."

"I'm a quick learner," she said.

They were up above the goalposts now but Harry didn't want to say anything.

"You were right," Hermione admitted.

Harry smiled. "When it comes to flying, I'm always right."

Hermione laughed. "You just need to work on your confidence."

He nudged her. "I know you don't."

Hermione shrieked. "Don't do that! I might fall off!"

"You aren't going to fall off," Harry said again. "It's impossible. I've got a hold of you."

"Okay," Hermione said. "Um...we're about to fly over the lake...."

Harry nodded. "Watch this..." he pushed them down gently until they were just flying inches over the surface of the water."Look..."

Hermione had closed her eyes again. She wasn't quite so sure she wanted to, but he'd promised her he wouldn't let anything happen. Reluctantly, she opened her eyes. "Wow..."

She could see their reflection in the lake as they flew over it- the water was so still that it was almost like looking in a window.

"You can trust me," Harry said in her ear.

"What?" Hermione asked softly.

"I said, you can trust me," Harry said in a louder tone.

"I don't trust anyone but myself," Hermione said, not realising she'd said it aloud.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"You don't want to talk about your fears," Hermione replied. "I don't want to talk about my trust issues."

"Someone hurt you," Harry guessed.

"I said I don't want to talk about it," Hermione answered, her tone sharper.

"Okay," Harry said wondering who it was. He didn't want to ruin the headway he'd already made with her. "You need to pull up a little and we're going to make a turn....steady.....steady...."

Hermione was silent as she followed his instructions. She regretted opening up like this. Harry may have been nicer than she'd originally thought, but she didn't want to get involved. They would have their date to Hogsmeade and that would be it. The pact would be broken and they would get on with their lives.

"Good," Harry complimented her. "See? You're a natural."

"I suppose," Hermione said as they landed.

"I'm the expert here, remember?" Harry asked. Hermione though was already dismounting the broom. "Hermione?"

"Thanks for showing me how to do this," she said. "But I've got to get back to the castle."

"I'd like to walk back with you if that's alright," Harry said. He held up his hand. "And yes I know you can get back by yourself but we're going in the same direction and I figured it would be okay if we walk together. I promise once we get back, I will leave you alone."

"Fine," she agreed quietly.

Harry looked sideways at her. "You really did a great job, Hermione. I mean that. And I happen to think it was very brave of you to get up their with me and fly. You said you were scared of heights but you conquered that fear."

"Thanks," she answered, not looking at him. "I should really get back. Thank you for the lesson."

He opened his mouth to protest, but she'd taken off on a run toward the castle.

What on earth had he said to make her run off like that? He watched her approach the front doors of the castle and disappear inside.

He suddenly remembered Malfoy's words from earlier that day about how he would give him pointers. Could Malfoy have been interested in Hermione at one point?

Perhaps that would be something worth looking into.

*** *** ***

The next few days were actually quite busy for Harry. In addition to his school work, he had to coordinate Quidditch tryouts and he hadn't had that much opportunity to think about his date with Hermione. Truth be told, he didn't really know where to take her or what to do. She wasn't like other girls and things between them had been awkward after the flying lesson.

She actually had avoided him for the most part, not giving him an opportunity to corner her after class.

Harry was just putting on his trainers when Seamus came back into their dorm room. "Ron, Romilda Vane wanted to know if you were really going to Hogsmeade with Luna."

"Yes," Ron answered. "I am."

"I was talking to Luna at breakfast and she said she was just going with a friend," Dean said thoughtfully. "She didn't even mention your name."

Harry shook his head. "Way to bring a bloke down," he said, motioning to Ron's crestfallen expression.

"Just tell her how you feel, mate," Seamus counselled him. "Snog her senseless."

"It's not like that," Ron replied. "Luna's not like that."

"He's right," Neville agreed. "Luna's a sweet girl."

"Longbottom, you got it bad for Luna, too?" Seamus asked.

Neville turned a deep red. "No," he answered.

"Leave it," Harry told Seamus.

"Fine," Seamus held his hands up. "Says the bloke who's taking the shrew..."

"You call her that again and we're going to have trouble," Harry retorted.

"Come on," Ron grabbed Harry's arm. "We should get going."

Harry nodded. "Nev, you coming?"

"I don't know if I'm going after all," Neville said. He didn't want to see Ginny hanging all over Malfoy.

"Come on, Nev," Ron said to his friend. "You have to go. In fact, you can tag along with Luna and me if you'd like."

Neville started to decline but Ron shook his head. "Come on, you were just talking about going the other day. We'll have fun."

"It's your date," Neville protested.

"As a friend," Ron's mouth turned down. "Come on," he insisted.

"Okay," Neville finally agreed. "Thanks, Ron."

Harry smiled at his redheaded friend as Neville quickly got himself ready. "It's nice of you to let him come along."

Ron shrugged. "That's me. Good, old, reliable Ronald Weasley. Everyone's friend."

"Just keep at it mate," Harry said. "She's bound to see it sooner or later."

"You think?" Ron asked hopefully.

Harry nodded. "Drop a few hints today. See if she picks up anything."

"I could stand in front of her starkers and she'd probably say something like how pale my skin was or some rubbish like that," Ron said sarcastically.

Harry grinned. "You are a little pale..."

Ron glared at him. "Thanks."

"Lighten up," Harry said. "In any case, you're probably going to have more fun than me."

"Probably," Ron said, but that only made him feel a little better. Neville joined them and together, the three boys headed downstairs.

"Are you meeting Hermione in Hogsmeade?" Neville asked.

Harry shook his head. "No, we're meeting downstairs. At least, I think we are. We haven't really talked much about it...she might stand me up."

"I don't think she would do that," Neville replied.

"We'll see," Harry said as they reached the front of the castle. Luna was already waiting for them and she waved at them. She was wearing jeans and a red jumper and her radish earrings. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a sloppy plait and Ron felt his heart speed up just looking at her.

"Hello, boys," Luna said softly.

"Hey Luna," Ron gulped. "Um... you... you... look... so..."

"I just hope I'll be warm enough," Luna said. "It's really windy today and the sun isn't out which is shame, but we'll still have fun."

"I think you will be," Ron said, regaining some colour in his face. He offered her his arm.

Unfortunately, Luna seemed to think he was showing her his jumper. "What sort of material is that?" she asked eagerly.

"Uh... I don't know. Mum made it for me," Ron replied, bewildered.

"It's so soft," Luna said running her fingers along it.

Her touch was making him go crazy.

"Uh... I hate to interrupt," Harry said. "But we should really get a carriage..."

"Don't you have to wait for Granger?" Ron asked.

"I don't think she's waiting for me," Harry replied, looking around. "I haven't seen her since yesterday."

"There she is," Luna said motioning toward the staircase.

Harry turned in surprise. He thought for sure she had gone on ahead.

Hermione had hoped to avoid him altogether, but she'd gotten caught up in a book she was reading and hadn't noticed the time. As a result, she'd arrived late for the carriages and he was waiting for her.

"Sorry," she murmured when she caught up to them.

"Hello, Hermione," Luna said when neither of the boy spoke.

"Hi Luna," Hermione said. "Um... so are we going or what?"

"Yeah," Harry said nodding. "Of course. We should get a carriage."

"This is the last one," Hermione pointed out as Neville, Ron and Luna climbed inside.

Harry was about to offer her a hand to get into the carriage, but one look at her face, and he drew it back. "After you..."

"Thanks," she muttered.

Harry climbed in after her. "So...."

Hermione reached into her bag and pulled out her book again. She might have this date with Harry Potter but she didn't have to like it.

"What's that you're reading?" Ron asked peering at the cover. "Jane Austen? Does she write about Quidditch?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Jane Austen is a classic author, and one of the most brilliant. I wouldn't expect you to know anything about her."

Ron rolled his eyes. "Yes, but can she do the Dopplebeater Defence?"

"The what?" Hermione looked at him disdainfully.

"You've never heard of it?" Ron asked incredulously. "Oh, Granger. It is awesome. It's where two beaters hit the same Bludger at the same time."

Hermione sighed and went back to her book.

Luna looked at Ron. "You know I watched your tryouts the other afternoon. I didn't realise you could do the Starfish and Stick."

Ron beamed at her. "I just perfected it this past summer. I can't tell you the number of times I fell and hit my head..."

"You hit your head too?" Luna asked. "I do that quite often."

"I can't imagine you doing that," Ron flirted.

Luna giggled. "Oh, all the time!"

Ron smiled at her. This was actually going quite well. "Maybe I can this it and cake it better."

Luna laughed. "You have such a way with words. I'd never think of talking like you do, Ronald."

Ron blushed. So much for thinking this was going well. "Yes, well..."

"So Neville," Harry directed is attention to the brown haired boy. "What are you planning on doing in Hogsmeade today?"

"I'll probably pick up a few things," Neville said, not telling them that he planned on avoiding Ginny and Malfoy at all costs.

Harry nodded. "What do you think of going to the Three Broomsticks?" he asked Hermione. When she didn't respond, he prodded her foot with his.

"What?" Hermione asked looking up at him. "Sure...fine...whatever.."

Harry sat back in his seat with a sigh. It felt like it was going to be a very, very long day.

The rest of the carriage ride passed by with few words and once they arrived in the village, they split up.

Hermione reluctantly put her book away.

"So," Harry said. "What did you want to do first?"

"I thought you said we were going to The Three Broomsticks," Hermione reminded him sharply.

Harry sighed. "Yes, but that's only if you didn't want to do something else first..."

"I don't care," Hermione crossed her arms.

"Have I done something wrong?" he asked her.

"Let's just go," she said, avoiding his question.

"Fine," Harry said walking ahead.

"Ginny had better appreciate this," she muttered as she followed him.

The pub wasn't that busy when they arrived and Harry asked her where she wanted to sit.

"I don't care," she repeated. "You know, you don't have to stick around if you don't want to."

"I wouldn't have asked you out if I didn't want to stick around," Harry said.

Hermione realised in dismay that he actually intended to see this date through. "Fine," she replied, heading for the bar.

"Let's get a table," Harry said coming up behind her.

"The bar is fine," Hermione said coolly.

"Well, you sit at the bar and I'll sit at a table," Harry said walking toward the back of the pub.

"Fine!" Hermione snapped, turning away.

Harry found a table and sat down. He picked up a menu though he pretty much knew it by heart.

What was her problem, he wondered. Why was she constantly pushing him away?

Hermione pulled out her book. This was what she'd wanted to do all along anyway. Who cared about Harry Sodding Potter?

Harry watched her at the bar and when someone came to take his order, he told them to get her whatever she wanted as well. "In fact, why don't you get her a shot of Firewhisky," he said in a sarcastic, joking manner. "Might loosen her up."

"Maybe I should give her the whole bottle," the waitress said. "She's wound pretty tight..."

Harry only smiled. "Maybe..."

He watched the waitress head back up to the bar and grab a new bottle of Ogden's from the cupboard. Harry laughed to himself as the waitress placed it in front of Hermione.

"Compliments of the gentleman in the corner," she said with a quirky grin.

Hermione absently took a drink and choked. "What is that?"

"Firewhisky," the waitress said with a smirk.

Hermione turned around and glared at Harry. She grabbed the bottle and stomped to his table. "Very, very funny."

"I thought it would loosen you up," he said defensively. "Come on, Granger. Sit down, please."

Hermione threw her book down. "You thought it'd be funny to send me liquor?"

"I thought we'd be on a date," Harry pointed out. "Instead, you have this attitude straight off and you ignore me."

"Because we both know you don't really want to be here," she hissed.

"I'm right where I want to be," he said. "You're the one who doesn't want to be here."

"You'd love it if I was just like one of these other girls here," Hermione said angrily. "Loose and ready to do your bidding."

"I asked you out because you're not like those other girls," Harry told her.

Hermione took a drink from the bottle. "I find that hard to believe."

"Easy, tiger," Harry said.

"Don't tell me what to do," Hermione shook her head. "I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. Get pissed and hang out..." she added sarcastically.

"That's not you," Harry said. "Hermione...."

"And how would you know?" she asked coldly.

"We had a nice moment the other day," Harry told her. "And then everything changed. You went back to how you were before..."

Hermione laughed harshly and took another drink. "That's the real me, Potter. If you don't like it--"

"Who made you this way?" Harry asked her. "Hmm?"

"You don't care about me," she snapped at him.

"I do," Harry said casting a worried glance at her as she took another drink from the bottle. Chances are, she wasn't a drinker and he figured she was going to feel the effects soon. "Hermione---"

She laughed. "You can just bugger off now..."

"Okay," Harry said shaking his head. "Go ahead and get pissed..."

"I think I will," Hermione laughed again. "Maybe I should thank you, Potter."

"For what?" Harry asked.

"For this," She held up the bottle which was rapidly approaching half full. "It's bloody fantastic."

Someone turned up the wireless in the pub and Harry watched as Hermione shakily stood up on her chair. "Hermione---easy..."

She shook her head. "I told you not to tell me what to do..." she pulled up her jumper. "Wow it's really hot in here?" Hermione laughed again.

Harry stood up and pulled the jumper back down. "Hermione---"

She pushed him away. "No touching the dancers!" she giggled as her hips began to sway back and forth.

A few of the other patrons, most of them her fellow students giggled and clapped, egging her on.

"Nothing to see here," Harry said trying to reach for Hermione again.

She pushed him away. "Leave me alone!"

"Yeah, leave her alone," Justin Finch Fletchley said with a smirk. "Let's see what she can do!"

Hermione stepped from her chair onto the table, knocking the bottle to the ground. "Uh-oh!" she exclaimed giggling.

"Hermione," Harry tried to reach for her. "Come on down--"

"How about you come on up?" Hermione purred. "Shake what your mum gave you, Potter!"

Harry could only watch as Hermione hiked up her skirt, showing off some rather shapely legs. "Hermione," he tried again. "You don't want--"

"Yes, I do," Hermione said mussing his hair.

"Come on Granger," Malfoy was standing at the edge of her table. "Show us all what you can do..." his grey eyes were glittering.

Harry glared at him. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Malfoy laughed. "Watching the show...but you know...if you're expecting her to put out, you're going to be sadly disappointed. She's nothing but a tease."

Harry looked up at Hermione but she obviously hadn't heard. "You'd be better off shutting your fucking mouth."

"I was interested in her once," Malfoy admitted looking up at her. "But she's a Mudblood..."

"Get out of here," Harry said, shoving him. "And don't you dare do anything to Ginny. You got what you wanted, to go out with her."

Hermione threw her arms around Harry's neck, surprising him. "Harry! Harry! Harry!"

"Whoa..." Harry said. "I think we need to get you some air."

"Have you fun, Scarhead," Malfoy said with a sneer. Harry glared at him before lifting Hermione off of the table and carrying her out of the pub.

"My book!" she squealed.

Harry looked over at the waitress. "Can you look after that for me? We'll be back for it."

"Sure," the waitress grabbed the book and Hermione's jumper and put them behind the bar.

Harry carried Hermione outside. "You feeling okay?" he asked as he sat down with her one of the benches.

"I want to go back in and dance!" Hermione made a move to get back up but staggered.

"Maybe later, Twinkletoes," Harry said taking her hand and pulling her back down on the bench.

"Twinkletoes," Hermione began to giggle. "Oh, you're funny. Funny, funny Harry..."

"That's me," Harry said looking at her. "Hermione, were ever involved with...Malfoy?"

"Who?" she asked. "That's a funny name..."

"Blond git who walks around like he owns the place," Harry said trying to jog her memory.

Hermione slumped back against the bench, letting her head loll back. "I can see the clouds!"

"Watch it," Harry said. "If you want to look at the clouds you can rest your head on my lap..."

"Hmmm..." Hermione looked over at him. "You're kind of cute..."