Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

Things really start to heat up this chapter- Malfoy presents an interesting proposition to Harry and the girls find out more about their pact. Please review!

Two days later, Dumbledore finally sent word to Hermione and Ginny that he had some news to tell them about their pact. He'd asked to meet with the two girls that morning before classes. Ginny was currently pacing in front of Dumbledore's desk while Hermione tried to finish up some extra credit reading for Ancient Runes.

"I hope he's found out something," Ginny said to no one in particular. "And why is he making us wait..."

"I don't know," Hermione sighed, turning the page.

"You know, this involves you too," Ginny told her. "And you act like it doesn't even matter."

"It doesn't to me," Hermione said looking up from her book.

"How can it not matter?" Ginny wrung her hands.

Hermione shrugged. "Because boys aren't a priority in my life, Ginny."

Ginny sighed. "I can't fathom what goes on in your head."

"I can't fathom why you'd waste your time on the likes of Draco Malfoy," Hermione countered.

"You don't know him like I do," Ginny replied. "He's nice to me."

"For now," Hermione said under her breath.

Ginny was about to ask what that was about, but Dumbledore came into his office.

"Sir?" she asked immediately. "Did you find a way we can break this?"

"Have a seat, Miss Weasley," the headmaster said going around the desk to sit down.

Ginny sat down as Hermione marked her place in her book and yawned.

"Please tell me you have good news," Ginny said looking imploringly at him.

"I researched your pact," Dumbledore looked at both the girls. "I'm afraid it's quite binding. You were both completely sincere when you made it."

Ginny groaned. "We were kids!"

"It doesn't matter," Dumbledore replied. "From my understanding of this, the two of you will not be able to... go on dates, unless the other does. Miss Granger, since you initiated the pact, I'm afraid most of this falls to you."

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked. "If I don't go on a date, then Ginny can't?"

"I'm afraid so," Dumbledore replied.

"My life as I know it is over," Ginny said putting her head in her hands.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "This is ridiculous."

"There's no other way around this?" Ginny asked.

Dumbledore shook his head. "At this point, it's something that you two will have to work out."

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said standing up. "Come on, Ginny. We've taken enough of the headmaster's time."

Ginny must have looked as if she were going to argue for Hermione grabbed her arm and practically dragged her out of the room.

"It's not the end of the world," Hermione tried to tell her.

"Says you," Ginny replied angrily. "Don't' you see, Hermione? This is all up to you."

"I'm not going on a date with some random boy," Hermione said hugging her book to her chest. "I have priorities, Ginny."

"I would think you could at least suck up your pride for a friend," Ginny replied quietly.

"Ginny---"

"I'll see you later," Ginny walked away in the opposite direction.

Hermione shook her head. Ginny would just need time to get used to this and eventually she'd see that this was all for the best.

The redhead walked aimlessly towards the Great Hall, not paying attention where she was walking.

Draco came up behind her and pulled her to him. "I'm feeling generous today...I'm giving you one last chance."

"Draco," Ginny said softly.

"Maybe this will help make up your mind," Draco said before pressing his lips to hers.

Ginny's eyes popped open in surprise and suddenly she found herself hurled backwards. "Ow!"

"What the hell?" Draco asked angrily.

Ginny rubbed the back of her head. "I don't know..." she said miserably.

"Are you alright?" Draco asked, offering her his hand.

"I think so," Ginny said as he helped her up. "Can... can I talk to you?"

"You know you can," Draco said wondering why he was putting up with all this.

"This may sound really farfetched... but it's the reason for the way I was acting when you asked me to Hogsmeade," Ginny said tentatively.

"Okay," Draco said slowly. "What is it, Red?"

She explained it to him just as Dumbledore had told it to her and Hermione. "So basically... if she doesn't go, I can't either."

Draco sighed. Nothing was this much trouble. "Granger?"

Ginny nodded. "I know..."

He shook his head. "This is hopeless. You know that, right?"

Ginny looked away in disappointment. "I know," she said again.

"No one at this school fancies her," Draco said thinking aloud. "And it's not as if they're queuing up for a chance with her. The only one I could picture her with is that lump, Longbottom..."

Ginny shook her head. "Neville would never ask her out. They're just friends."

"What about your brother?" Draco suggested.

Ginny looked at him. "He's head over heels for Luna."

"There has to be someone we can pawn off on her," Draco said. Students were filing out of the Great Hall heading to classes. "Look, you just leave it to me, okay?"

"Really?" Ginny asked. "You'll help me out of this?"

Draco nodded, but was silently hoping she would be worth all of this hassle. "You can count on me."

"Thanks Draco," Ginny felt hopeful for the first time all day.

"I'll see you at lunch," he said giving her hand a squeeze before heading to Herbology.

He was trying to think of someone for Granger, but then again who at this school would want to take on that shrew?

Harry Potter had overheard the conversation between Ginny and Malfoy. "A pact," he muttered. "Interesting..."

He followed Malfoy toward the green houses watching as the Slytherin checked out nearly every girl that walked by.

Ginny was like a younger sister to him and he didn't want the girl getting hurt by this wanker.

Neville was far and away the better match for Ginny and would treat her a damn sight better than Malfoy ever could.

Harry sat down in the greenhouse, keeping an eye on the blond.

"We're pairing up again today," Ron told his friend. "Want to work together this time?"

"That'd be great," Harry replied. "I don't need another detention."

Harry turned back around and saw Malfoy sauntering up to Hermione.

"Mind if we work together today, Granger?" Draco drawled.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I don't want you as a partner," she retorted. "I'd rather work with Goyle."

"You didn't always feel that way," Draco whispered in her ear.

"Sod off," Hermione rolled her eyes.

"If you don't work with me, who are you going to work with?" Draco asked folding his arms. "Hmm?"

Hermione saw to her dismay that everyone else was paired up. "I'd have even preferred Potter over you," she hissed, slamming her bag down.

"You fancy Scarhead?" Draco asked.

"Oh please," Hermione said disdainfully. "My life is none of your concern."

"You'd be surprised," Draco said leaning back in his chair.

"Leave her alone, Malfoy," Harry said glaring at him.

"Scarhead sticking up for the shrew?" Draco asked, a nasty grin on his face. "Isn't that touching."

"Sod off, Malfoy," Harry said. "Granger, Ron and I wouldn't mind if you worked with us..."

"I'm fine on my own," Hermione said coldly.

"I'll take good care of her," Malfoy assured Harry with a cocky grin. "Granger and I make a really good team..."

"Hardly," Hermione snapped. "Let's just get this over with. I don't need another bloody detention."

"What kind of world are we living in where she would rather work with him than us?" Ron muttered to Harry.

"Who knows," Harry replied. "I don't know what her deal is. I try to be nice to her--"

"Well looks as if Malfoy's trying to do the same," Ron said motioning over to where the brunette and the blonde were talking in hushed tones about something.

Harry's eyes narrowed. "Malfoy is not nice."

"You're preaching to the choir, mate," Ron said opening his textbook. "Come on...let's get this over with..."

"Fine," Harry muttered, stealing one more glance at this pair before turning to his plant.

"So," Malfoy drawled. "What do you have to do?"

"We," Hermione glared at him. "What do WE have to do. I'm not doing all the work so you can get all the credit."

"You're better at it than I am," Malfoy stretched. "There's something you probably don't hear every day." he added.

Hermione rolled her eyes. She couldn't believe Ginny fancied this arrogant prat.

Draco watched Hermione set out what they'd need for the assignment and an idea struck him. Potter. Potter could take her out to Hogsmeade then he could score with Ginny.

"Can you get us some fresh soil?" Hermione asked him. "Or do you not want to get your hands dirty?"

"I can get it," he said lazily.

"Thanks," Hermione said sarcastically. She made a mental note to ask Neville to be her partner next time they were assigned teamwork like this. He was the only one in this room who took it as serious as she did.

Malfoy took his time in getting what they needed and as a result, the rest of the class was halfway through before they had barely gotten started.

"Take some notes on what I do," Hermione thrust a piece of parchment at him. "I'll pot these."

"I like a woman who takes charge," Malfoy said taking the parchment. "At least I did at one point..."

"Sod off," Hermione retorted. "Let's just get this done. I hate working with you."

"That wasn't always the way," Malfoy said sitting down. "I remember that night in the Astronomy Tower. Do you remember? You said that no one had ever said those things to you..."

"You know, this is making me physically ill," Hermione faced him angrily. "So shut the hell up and work."

"Sure thing," Malfoy said picking up his quill and starting to write.

Hermione was surprised at his quick agreement but didn't contest it. She turned her attention to the plants.

Ron and Harry were faring a little better on their assignment. "So," Ron said looking at his friend. "You planning on going to Hogsmeade? I was thinking that you could take Ginny..."

Harry gave his friend a look. "I'm not going to Hogsmeade. And I already told you a million times, I'm not taking Ginny."

"She'd go with you," Ron said with a shrug. "And you're much better than Malfoy. Mum and Dad would be over the moon if you fancied her..."

"Not going to happen," Harry answered. "She's like my little sister too. Besides, she doesn't want to date me either."

"She used to," Ron pointed out.

"When she was 10," Harry countered.

"Still," Ron insisted.

"Ron," Harry sighed. "Let your sister do what she wants to do. Don't try and matchmake for her."

"I don't like thinking of my sister dating," Ron said. "The only bloke I'd trust with her would be you...or Nev."

Harry smiled. "He'd treat her like gold."

"If only she'd notice him," Ron said.

"Let her worry about it," Harry advised. "She'd kill you if she knew you were fretting over her dating."

"I'll stay out of it," Ron promised. "But I can't bear Malfoy, Harry. Could you imagine?"

"I'm not going there," Harry replied.

The rest of the class passed by without incident and Hermione was glad when Professor Sprout finished grading their assignments. She couldn't wait to get away from Malfoy.

"We'll have to do that again sometime Granger," Malfoy taunted.

Hermione grabbed her bag and hurried out of the room. Malfoy grinned and looked over at Harry.

Harry looked up. "What?" he demanded irritably.

"Could I have a quick word?" Malfoy asked.

"No," Harry answered shortly.

"Come on," Malfoy said. "Five minutes."

"I'm busy," Harry replied.

"Come on, Harry," Ron said heading for the door.

"Right behind you," Harry pushed past Malfoy.

"Damn it, Potter," Malfoy called after him. "I just want five minutes of your precious time. It's important."

"He's not going to Hogsmeade," Ron said. "So if you were hoping for a date..."

"Fuck off Weasley," Malfoy snapped.

"Let's just go," Harry said.

"Look," Malfoy said angrily. "I wouldn't be after YOU if this wasn't important!"

"Fine," Harry said folding his arms. "What do you want?"

"To talk to you in private," Malfoy glared at Ron.

Harry sighed. "Ron, I'll catch up with you mate."

Ron nodded figuring that whatever was going on with Malfoy, Harry would tell him later. He turned the corner leaving Harry and Draco alone.

"So," Malfoy said. "I have a proposition for you..."

"I can tell you right now I'm not interested," Harry answered.

"Hear me out," Malfoy said glaring at him. He hated the idea of asking Harry Potter for anything.

"Then talk already," Harry demanded. "I don't bloody have all day."

Malfoy leaned against the wall. "It's no secret that I fancy Ginny. And she fancies me too. Which would all be well and good, but when she was a kid, she made some stupid pact with that Mudblood Granger..."

"A pact?" Harry asked. "Why does this concern us?" he didn't let on that he had overheard their conversation.

"Some shite pact about not ever dating," Malfoy explained. "They didn't know at the time it was a magical contract. Binding. But, apparently, Dumbledore's found a way out of it for them..."

"Then why are we intervening?" Harry was bored.

"Ginny can't; date until Granger does," Malfoy explained.

"And this has to do with me how?" Harry asked.

"I want you to take Granger to Hogsmeade," Malfoy said as if doing Harry a favour.

Harry chuckled. "You're joking right? Let me point out two things for you, Malfoy and I'll go slow so you understand. One---Granger doesn't like me. Two--I could care less about what you want."

Malfoy watched in dismay as Harry turned and began to walk off. "I'll pay you."

Harry didn't need or want Malfoy's money. "See you later, Ferret."

"I said I'll pay you," Malfoy grabbed his arm. "I'll make it worth your while."

Harry shrugged him off. "Why should I help you?"

"Don't you want your 'sister' to be happy?" Malfoy asked, his eyes glinting.

"Yes," Harry replied. "Which is why I'm in favour of anything that would keep her away from you."

Malfoy sighed. "I'll pay you twenty five galleons to take Granger to Hogsmeade."

Harry couldn't believe Malfoy. He really did think anyone or anything he wanted could be bought. Why on earth did Ginny fancy this prat? Neville was far and away the better man. An idea came to him and he hid his smile as he thought about getting one over on Malfoy.

"So," Harry said thoughtfully. "I date Granger so you can date Ginny?"

"And you get 25 galleons in the process," Malfoy said simply. "Win-win situation, Potter."

"Only twenty five?" Harry asked. "You're a cheap bastard."

"Fifty, then," Malfoy countered.

Harry knew Malfoy was about to up and walk away. "Fifty galleons, one date. That's it."

"So we have a deal then?" Malfoy asked extending his hand.

Harry shook his enemy's hand. "Fine. Deal."