Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

Bit of a cliffie this time, guys. But you do get some great H/Hr in this chapter. Enjoy!

It was later that same afternoon and Harry and Hermione had spent most of the day sitting on the cosy sofa in her room, just talking.

"Are you kidding me?" Hermione was laughing. "That was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen! I can't believe you liked it!"

"It wasn't that bad," Harry said defensively. "It's underrated."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Oh please..."

"Just because it didn't take place in the 16th century and people didn't go around talking about their feelings doesn't mean it's not a good film," Harry said before taking a sip of his hot chocolate.

"I didn't say it had to be," Hermione objected. "But the name of the film is Freddy got Fingered. That in itself says enough!"

"Okay, okay," Harry said setting his mug down on the table. "You do have a point."

"What's your absolute favourite movie?" Hermione asked. "Not just any film, but if you could only watch one movie the rest of your life, what would it be?"

"I didn't really have much chance to watch that many," Harry told her. "I used to wait until after my aunt and uncle left the house and then I'd turn on the telly. But, I guess if I had to choose one..."

"Want to know mine?" Hermione offered.

"Sure," Harry replied grinning at her.

"Sense and Sensibility," she answered. "Although..."

"Isn't that a book?" Harry asked.

"It's a book and it's a movie," Hermione laughed. "The bloke who plays Colonel Brandon in the movie- it's rather eerie how much he looks like Snape with light hair. And the woman who plays Elinor- she sort of resembles Trelawney…"

"Snape as a movie star," Harry said thoughtfully. "Now there's something you wouldn't like to think of..."

"No," Hermione shook her head. "Not especially."

"Maybe we could go see a film together someday," Harry said leaning back on the sofa.

Hermione smiled. "I'd like that. I'd like that a lot, actually."

"Come here," Harry said smiling back at her. "You're too far away."

She slid closer to him. "You never told me what your favourite film was..."

"I didn't," Harry said. "You---you promise not to laugh?"

"I'll try," Hermione grinned.

"It's A Wonderful Life," Harry said sheepishly.

"Really?" Hermione was more surprised than anything.

"You know how it comes on the telly every Christmas, right?" Harry asked her. "Well, there was this one time when I was around nine....Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia had taken Dudley out to go Christmas shopping. They left me at home and I snuck out of the cupboard and watched it."

"I always watch it at Christmas with my parents," Hermione said. "It's a tradition."

"When I was a kid, I didn't feel like I mattered," Harry said to Hermione. He'd never been this honest with anyone before. "I guess I just related to George Bailey. You know, giving up what he really wanted to do what was right for Bedford Falls and just feeling that we're all linked no matter how insignificant we might feel..."

Hermione looked at him thoughtfully. "It's a shame more people don't know what you've done, Harry."

Harry shook his head. "I just wanted to be normal, Hermione. That's all. I could care less if everyone knew..."

She reached for his hand and squeezed it supportively.

He looked down at their intertwined hands. "I'd give it all up to have my parents and my godfather back."

Hermione bit her lower lip. "I wish I could help you get them back."

"My godfather would have liked you," Harry said looking into her eyes. "He always said I needed someone to keep me on my toes."

"I keep you on your toes," Hermione said softly. "And you can keep me on a broom."

Harry laughed. "So, in other words, we're good for each other."

"I think we are," Hermione nodded. "Very much so."

Harry didn't say anything for a long time. He held her close and just looked at the fire. It was cosy and warm here and he didn't know of any other place on earth he'd rather be.

"You've always intrigued me," he finally said. "Right from the start."

"I did?" she asked.

"You always seemed so eager to prove yourself," Harry said. "Like me."

"I suppose I have tried to prove myself," Hermione answered. "Mainly because for one thing, I'm Muggle born, and two, I'm a girl. So sometimes I feel as if I have to work extra hard to stay at the top."

"And you kept yourself at a distance," Harry said. "Afraid to let people in... another thing we had in common."

"Yes well... I have my reasons..." Hermione stared at the fire.

"Malfoy?" Harry asked.

"Mostly him," Hermione muttered.

"I hate him for many things, but even more for what he did to you," Harry said softly.

"I don't think you know the half of what he did to me," Hermione answered quietly.

Harry reached out and touched her cheek. "Do you want to tell me?"

At first she didn't want to, but then she nodded. "Okay..."

"He's always been an arrogant prat," Harry said. "How did you ever---"

"I thought I really fancied him," Hermione interrupted. "I guess I just thought he was really smart, since he kept up with me as far as marks... and he paid attention to me, when most other blokes didn't."

Harry nodded. "He said all the right things?"

Hermione nodded. "He even asked me to the ball that year. That's the real reason I was so dressed up. I'd never been so excited in my life."

"What happened?" Harry asked gently.

"I got to the Great Hall," Hermione continued to stare at the fire. "We had planned to meet up there. And so I found him sitting at the Slytherin table."

"Sounds okay so far," Harry said.

"Yes well... soon as I walked over to him, I realised what a mistake I had made," Hermione said bitterly. "He laughed in my face. Turned out he knew all along that I fancied him and was stringing me along for a laugh. People I thought were my friends- like Justin and Padma- were laughing at what a fool I was."

Harry felt a mixture of emotions at that moment. Anger that Malfoy had treated Hermione like that and guilt that he was guilty of the same. But, he rationalized; he wasn't doing this for a laugh. He loved this girl and would do anything to see that she wasn't hurt.

"I just turned and left," Hermione shook her head. "On my way out of the room I heard him collecting money from everyone. Turns out he had a wager going on whether or not I'd show up."

"Hermione---"

"I just sort of shut everyone out after that," Hermione finished. She was surprised to discover she had tears in her eyes. "I was completely humiliated… and I couldn't ever go through that again."

Harry looked away, feeling worse than he could ever remember feeling.

"I don't think you'd ever do that to me," Hermione said softly. "I do trust you, Harry."

"I never want to hurt you, Hermione," he said softly. "Never. No matter what happens, I hope you know that."

"I know," Hermione said. "Thanks for listening to me. You're the first person I've told that to."

"I'm glad you trusted me enough to tell me," Harry managed to say.

"I don't think Malfoy ever really knew how badly he hurt me," Hermione answered. "And I wasn't about to let him know that. Ever."

"I'm sorry," Harry said looking at her.

"Its okay," Hermione rested against him again. "I feel safe with you."

She had no idea that her words were tearing him up inside.

Hermione felt like she was talking too much so she closed her eyes and let out a soft sigh.

Harry put his arms around her and held her tightly, not wanting to say anything for fear he'd confess everything to her.

"I want to stay here forever," Hermione finally said softly. "I'm so glad you stuck with me, Harry."

"I am too," Harry whispered.

She leaned in and kissed him, wrapping her arms around him to pull his body closer.

"Hermione, I----" Harry started to protest. He didn't deserve her.

"What?" she asked, breaking away for a moment.

She was looking at him in a way that no one ever had and he couldn't bring himself to confess. "I-I'm really glad that you asked me to come up here."

Hermione smiled. "Well... you can consider it an open door from now on."

Harry kissed her back this time, making a silent vow that she'd never find out the truth.

*** *** ***

Draco was about at the end of his rope with Zabini giving him a hard time over Ginny. The more he thought about the redhead, the more he figured she was just using Longbottom to make him jealous. Problem was, it was working. And it wasn't that he really had feelings for Ginny, it was more or less that she was almost unattainable and he always liked a challenge.

Currently they were all sitting down to dinner. Ginny and Longbottom had come into the Great Hall hand in hand; a sight that had made Draco's lip curl.

"Where are you going, Draco?" Pansy asked when he stood.

"Nowhere," he said shortly.

Pansy rolled her eyes and returned her attention to Blaise and Goyle.

Across the room, Neville sat down beside Ginny. "Do you know what we're having tonight?"

"No, but I'm starved," Ginny replied.

"So am I," Draco said plopping down on Ginny's other side. "Hello, Gorgeous."

Ginny looked over at him, her eyebrow raised. "Malfoy."

"Malfoy, the Slytherin table is over there," Neville said motioning over his shoulder.

"I'm right where I want to be," Draco said grinning lasciviously at Ginny.

Ginny sighed heavily. "What is it you want?"

"I've missed you," Draco whispered.

"Oh please," Ginny moved away from him. "I don't know what you're playing at--"

"Let's just ignore him," Neville said as the food appeared on the platters before them.

"Good idea," Ginny smiled at him.

"You couldn't ignore me if you tried," Draco said inching closer to her.

Ginny was trying to do just that as she moved closer to Neville.

Draco put his hand on Ginny's thigh.

"I beg your pardon!" Ginny shoved his arm away.

"Leave her alone, Malfoy," Neville said getting to his feet.

Draco sent him a little smirk. "You don't have to stick around, Longbottom. Red and I are fine here on our own."

"When I said go, I meant for you to go back to where you came from," Neville said angrily. "And we'd stay here."

Draco waved his hand dismissively. "That'll be all, Longbottom."

"I think you'd better go, Draco," Ginny said quietly.

"For you, Red." Draco said charmingly. "But I'm not giving up on you. I know I've been harsh, but I really like you."

Before she could stop him, he pecked her on the cheek.

Neville was fuming as Draco got up and purposely bumped him out of the way as he went back to the Slytherin table.

"Sit back down," Ginny said patting the space beside her.

"Fine," Neville grumbled. "Talk about spoiling an appetite."

"Beef stew," Ginny said spooning some onto his plate.

"Thanks," he sent her a grudging smile.

Ginny smiled back at him. "Okay, Longbottom. You and I are going to have a nice dinner and then we'll go and study..."

He knew she was trying to make him feel better, and she WAS still sitting here with him. "Okay," he reached for her hand.

"I almost forgot to share my good news with you," Ginny told him. "I received my marks back on my Herbology test. I had the second highest marks in the class after Luna."

Neville grinned at her. "Really?" he asked delightedly. "Ginny I'm really proud of you!"

"I couldn't have done it without you," Ginny said giving him a hug. "I'd still be failing if it wasn't for your help and tutoring."

"But you're the one that worked hard," Neville objected. "It's because of that, that you did so well."

"It was a team effort," Ginny conceded.

Draco watched the couple from the Slytherin table and just rolled his eyes. Longbottom better enjoy this while he could. He was contemplating taking his dinner upstairs when he spotted Hermione Granger come into the Great Hall. Potter was across the room talking to Hagrid. It might be fun to mess with Potter's head a little.

With a snide smile, he got up again and approached the Head Girl. "Evening, Granger."

"Malfoy," Hermione said shortly.

"So..." he drawled. "You enjoying yourself with Potter?"

"That's none of your business," Hermione retorted taking a seat at the end of the Gryffindor table.

"That so?" Draco asked with a smirk. "Has he said anything... interesting... lately?"

Hermione regarded him. "Why would you care?"

"If it wasn't for me," Draco began. "He never would have even--"

"Never have even what?" Hermione asked impatiently.

Draco noticed Potter approaching them. "Never even have talked--"

"Say goodbye, Malfoy," Harry said glaring at his rival.

"Well hello Potter," Draco smirked. "I'm just having a word with the Head Girl here."

"And I was trying to get him to leave," Hermione said.

"You heard her," Harry snapped. "Leave us alone."

"Granger's really come out of her shell, hasn't she?" Malfoy asked ignoring him.

"That's none of your damn business," Harry felt his temper flaring up. "And if you say anything else--"

"What could I possibly say?" Draco asked pulling his most innocent face.

"Maybe you could tell me why you've shirked your responsibilities?" Hermione asked. "Why you've had prefects doing duties that are yours?"

Draco waved a hand. "I'm Head Boy, Granger. I do what I have to do."

"It doesn't mean that you can lord over everyone else," Hermione told him.

"That's what being Head Boy is all about," Draco eyed her lazily.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "The perks. That's all you care about?"

"Isn't that what you wanted?" Draco pointed out.

"What I want is for you to leave me alone," Hermione replied. "Harry and I would like to eat dinner in peace."

Draco smiled. "All right then. I'll see you two around..."

"Not if we can help it," Hermione said shaking her head.

Harry shook his head and sat down next to her. "What did that wanker say to you?"

Hermione shrugged. "Trying to get on my nerves as usual."

"You all right?" he squeezed her hand.

"Absolutely," Hermione said. "How's Hagrid?"

"Fine," Harry smiled. "Says you haven't been down to visit him in awhile. I told him you were busy with me, but we'd stop by in the next few days."

Hermione smiled back at him. "I'd love that. I've been meaning to stop by and see him."

"Let's try and go tomorrow night then," Harry replied.

"It's a date," Hermione said.

"And I was actually hoping you could help me with an essay later," Harry said sheepishly. "I sort of waited until the last minute..."

Hermione was pleased that he needed her help. "Which class?"

"Defence," he answered. "And if I don't hand in something good, Lupin will have my head. And you like it too much for that to happen, right?" Harry sent her a charming grin.

Hermione laughed. "Would you like some wine with that line? That was pretty cheesy, Harry."

"Yeah well," he rumpled his hair. "You will help me, right?"

"Yes, I will help you," Hermione said. "I finished my essay a couple of weeks ago."

"Thank you," Harry said in relief.

"Well, I am going to expect to be compensated for my help," Hermione said coyly.

"I could give you another flying lesson," Harry edged a little closer to her.

Hermione shook her head. "You can do better than that."

"Well..." Harry leaned closer. "It's not the lesson itself, but what would come after it..."

"I'm intrigued," Hermione said softly.

"I'll give you a little preview later," Harry answered, not wanting to put on a show in front of Malfoy lest he try anything again.

"I can't wait," Hermione said happily.

"Me either," Harry said. Every day he felt himself falling for her more and more, which was why he wanted to keep Malfoy away from her until he could find some way to tell her what was going on.

"There is something I was going to ask you," Hermione said, biting her bottom lip. "You can say no, of course..."

"What's that?" Harry asked as he pulled his plate towards him.

"I heard from my parents today," Hermione told him. "And I know I said I was going to stay here for Christmas, but I think I'm going to go home after the ball."

"Oh," Harry answered, feeling somewhat deflated. He had hoped they could spend Christmas holiday together.

"I wrote to them and asked if it would be okay if I brought a guest," Hermione said softly.

Harry stopped with his fork halfway to his mouth. "You... you want to bring me home with you?"

Hermione nodded. "They were okay with it, especially when I told them how important you were to me."

Harry's mind was reeling. This was a huge step- meeting her parents. He wondered what they would think of him.

"It's just Mum, Dad, and me," Hermione said. "Nothing too big. We have dinner and then we usually watch an old movie on the telly. I-I asked Dad to get It's a Wonderful Life."

"I'll be there," Harry answered. "I'd love to meet your family."

Hermione grinned. "Really?"

"Wouldn't miss it for anything," Harry reached for her hand.

"Christmas has always been my favourite holiday," Hermione said. "And now even more so."

"I can't wait to see you out of school," Harry said.

"I'm the same," Hermione said softly.

"Come on," Harry said. "Let's finish up so we can get to work... then have some fun."

"Work before play," Hermione agreed.

While Harry and Hermione were finishing up their dinner and heading back to her room, Ron was eating and sneaking looks over in Luna's direction.

They had been avoiding each other ever since Hogsmeade and Ron wished he'd just told her the truth. This was complete and utter torture.

Luna was also peeking at him through her long curtain of hair. At first she hadn't understood why she was so upset over Ron's declaration that he was over his crush on her, until she realised that she fancied him back.

Things were now awkward between them. She'd always been able to talk to him and she could always count on him to make her laugh.

With a sigh, she picked at the food on her plate. She'd never had less of an appetite in her life.

Ron, too, didn't have much of an appetite. He hadn't touched anything on his plate. To make matters worse, he was sitting across from his sister and Neville who kept giving each other what his mother liked to call the "goo-goo" eyes. This was all Ginny's bloody fault.

"What's your problem?" Ginny finally took notice of her brother's expression.

"Your big, bloody mouth," Ron muttered.

"What did I do?" Ginny was baffled.

"Told Luna that I fancied her," Ron said trying to keep his voice down so no one else would find out.

"So?" Ginny asked. "You do."

Ron glared at her. "Yes, but don't you think I should have been the one to tell her?"

"I thought she fancied you back," Ginny said. "I'm sorry, Ron."

"I didn't really give her a chance to say either way," Ron said.

"What do you mean?" Neville asked.

"She told me we were friends, so I told her that's all we were," Ron stabbed his knife into his chicken.

"You're still in with a chance then," Neville said. "I mean, she didn't shoot you down..."

Ron snorted. "Yeah right."

"You're still going to the ball," Ginny pointed out.

"As friends," Ron pushed away his plate

"I can say something to her," Ginny offered.

"No," Ron said. "You did enough."

"Ron," Ginny said genuinely sorry. "I thought she knew."

"Whatever," Ron got up. "I'm going back upstairs."

"Ron---" Ginny called after him.

He waved over his shoulder as he left the Great Hall.

Luna had seen him get up to go and she'd followed him out.

"Ronald?"

Ron stopped and turned around. "Hey Luna," he said quietly.

"Are you ill?" Luna asked.

"A little," he lied.

"I'm sorry," Luna said touching his arm. "I noticed you weren't eating."

He stared at her hand. "Um... well yeah... maybe I'll go up to the infirmary."

"It's that serious?" Luna asked, concern etched across her features.

"I don't know," he answered.

"Well, maybe you should---" Luna started to say, but the doors to the Great Hall swung open and Lavender Brown came out with Parvati Patil.

The last thing Ron wanted was Luna's pity and without thinking, he smiled at Lavender. "Um, Lav. I'm glad that you're here."

Lavender shared a surprised look with Parvati. "You are?"

"Sure," he answered. "I'm always glad to see you."

"Come on, Lavender," Parvati said grabbing her friend's arm.

"I was hoping you'd let me walk you back to the tower," Ron said.

"What?" both Luna and Lavender asked at the same time.

Ron stuck his hands in his pockets. "I was hoping that you'd let me walk you back to the tower, Lavender," he repeated.

"Um..." Lavender was confused. "Okay... I guess that'd be nice."

"I-I thought you weren't feeling well," Luna stammered.

"I'll be all right," Ron said.

"Oh," Luna said quietly. "Um...well, I hope you feel better."

"Thanks," Ron said quickly. "I'll see you later... buddy."

Luna watched as he took Lavender's hand.

Parvati rolled her eyes. "I hope we don't have to go through Ron-Lavender, Part Deux."

"What do you mean?" Luna asked softly.

Parvati sighed. "Fifth year. The two of them had crushes on each other and spent nearly the entire year snogging in our common room."

Luna felt as if she'd been kicked in the stomach. Perhaps Ginny had really been mistaken about Ron's feelings for her. He couldn't be any clearer about staying away from her.

"I thought he was going to the Yule Ball with you though," Parvati said.

"That's what I thought," Luna answered. "But um... maybe he'll want to go with someone he fancies."

Parvati shrugged. "I kind of thought he fancied you."

Luna looked at the other girl hopefully. "You do?"

"Yes, well he does spend a lot of time with you, doesn't he?" Parvati pointed out. "And you're going to the ball and he's taken you to Hogsmeade."

"Just as friends, apparently," Luna said. "Um... I think I'm going to go back to my dormitory. I hope you have a nice night, Parvati."

"You too," Parvati said before heading upstairs.

Luna blinked to keep back her tears. She still thought there might be a shred of hope, but that was dashed when she saw Ron with Lavender.

How was she going to get through the ball feeling the way she did?

*** *** ***

Ginny had stayed late in the library to finish an essay for McGonagall's class. Neville had helped her with Herbology but she had told him to go on back- knowing if he stayed, she'd never get any work done.

The thought of the brown haired seventh year brought a smile to Ginny's face. Of all the guys she thought she'd date this year, Neville had been near the bottom of the list. Of course, that was before she'd realised what a catch he was.

She yawned and looked at her watch. She should really get back to the dorm.

Ginny packed up her books and slung her bag over her shoulder. She wasn't looking where she was going and bumped into someone on her way out. "Sorry..."

"No need to apologise," Draco said giving her the once-over. "Mmmmm..."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Pardon me."

"Want me to carry those for you?" Draco offered.

"No," Ginny said curtly. "I have to get back to my dormitory."

"We need to talk about the ball," Draco said grabbing her bag and slinging it over his shoulder. "What colour robes are you wearing?"

"My date already knows," Ginny tugged at the straps. "Give me my stuff back!"

"No," Draco laughed holding it away from her. "Come and get it."

"I don't have time for this," Ginny snapped. "I'm going to miss curfew."

"I'll get you out of it," Draco promised. "Head Boy, remember?"

"I don't want you to," Ginny reached for her bag again. "Why are you bothering me? I thought you didn't want anything to do with me."

"On the contrary," Draco said handing her bag back to her. "I want very, very much to have something to do with you."

"Too late," Ginny said bluntly.

Draco followed her up the staircase. "Longbottom, really?"

"It's none of your business," Ginny marched ahead.

"You could do better than him," Draco told her.

"Oh, with you?" Ginny turned to face him.

Draco shrugged. "You still fancy me, Red."

"No I don't," Ginny replied quickly.

They reached the top of the staircase and Draco moved quickly so he was in front of her. He pulled her to him. "So, this doesn't do anything to you?"