Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

We think you guys will really enjoy this chapter- it was lots of fun to write and it's quite fluffy ;) Enjoy!

Harry had asked for Hermione to meet him in the common room so they could walk to the Room of Requirement together. Hermione looked at her watch. He was twenty minutes late and Hermione was starting to feel like the biggest fool in the world.

She'd wasted half of her afternoon getting ready for this date with Ginny's help and he was probably upstairs laughing with his roommates about what a fool he'd made out of her.

"This is just great," Hermione muttered. "I am not waiting here to be made a fool of." she turned to leave.

Harry was just coming through the Portrait Hall when he saw her heading for the stairs. "Hermione, wait!"

Hermione ignored him and kept walking.

"Wait," he called after her. "Look, I know I'm late, but I have a good reason..."

Hermione turned to face him, her arms crossed. "I bet you do," she answered coolly.

"I made the mistake of----wow," Harry said looking properly at her. "Hermione....you look beautiful."

She felt her stance soften. "I do?"

Harry smiled and nodded. "Um...the real reason I'm late was that I made the mistake of going to see how things looked for our date and Dobby kept me there for nearly half an hour."

"Dobby did?" Hermione asked. "Really..."

Harry took her hand. "I wouldn't lie to you."

She was set to not believe him, but one look at his face and she nodded. "Okay."

"Are you ready to go?" he asked her.

"Yeah," Hermione answered. "I'm ready."

Harry smiled at her. "This will be much better than our first attempt at a date. I promise."

Hermione managed a smile back at him. "I think this time it'll be a lot better."

"When you hit rock bottom, you can only go up, right?" Harry asked.

"That date was pretty bad," Hermione shook her head. "But yesterday made up for it..."

"I promise no Firewhisky will be involved tonight," Harry told her.

Hermione sent him a wry grin. "Do I scare you when I'm pissed?"

"I never get scared," Harry replied.

"Never?" she asked.

"I am The Boy Who Lived, remember?" Harry asked rolling his eyes.

"How could anyone forget," she replied. "But everyone has their own fears."

"Even me," Harry admitted quietly.

"Even you," Hermione looked back over at him. "I wouldn't think less of you for having them."

"I used to be afraid I wouldn't make it to my seventh year," Harry said quickening his step. He didn't like talking about this and this certainly wasn't good date conversation.

She hurried to catch up to him. "But you did," Hermione reminded him. "And now we're here together." she reached for his hand.

"We are," Harry said forcing a smile. "Look, those things they're not easy to talk about."

"I know," she answered quickly. "Its nice that you're opening up a bit to me. But I won't push you to talk about this."

"I appreciate that," Harry said giving her a kiss.

Hermione hadn't expected him to do that so soon, but leaned into him, kissing him back.

"Hermione," Harry whispered.

"Yes?" she asked softly.

"You really do look beautiful," Harry said resting his forehead on hers.

"Thank you," her stomach was fluttering madly. "You look very handsome as well."

Harry was wearing a pair of khaki trousers and a dark blue jumper. "Thank you. We---we should probably get upstairs before Dobby sends out the search party."

"Okay," Hermione said, keeping her fingers woven with his as they walked upstairs.

"I hope you like what we set up for you," Harry said as they approached the seventh floor.

"I'm sure it'll be lovely," she answered, feeling very much like a giddy teenager. It was a new sensation for her- but not a bad one.

Dobby suddenly appeared, poking his head out of the door. "Come! Come in Come and Go Room!'

"Come and Go Room?" Hermione asked Harry.

"It's what he and the other elves call the Room of Requirement," Harry explained. "The Come and Go Room."

"Oh," Hermione said as he held the door open for her. "Thank you."

Harry walked inside and felt his jaw drop. Dobby had changed the room from how it had been just a few moments ago. For one thing, the entire room was pink.

"Oh my," Hermione's eyes were wide. "Um... this is nice..."

Dobby beamed at her.

"Dobby," Harry said kneeling down in front of the house elf. "Why---why did you change things?"

"To make it pleasing for Harry Potter sir..." The house elf stared at him with his large eyes.

"It's okay Harry," Hermione touched his shoulder.

"It's pink," Harry grumbled. "Everything is pink."

"Harry Potter sir doesn't like it..." Dobby's eyes drooped. "Dobby will change it for you--"

Harry shook his head, feeling bad for hurting the elf's feelings. "It's---it's perfect, Dobby."

"Yes Dobby," Hermione nodded. "You did a lovely job."

Dobby again beamed at her.

"How about we sit down?" Harry suggested.

"Sure," Hermione said as Harry led her over to the table.

"Sorry about this," Harry whispered in her ear as he held out the chair.

"I don't mind," Hermione told him as she sat down.

"He goes a bit overboard," Harry said. "And don't worry. I made sure he was paid for tonight's labour."

Hermione smiled. "How did you know I support elf rights?"

"I---I remember seeing the signs you put up for S.P.E.W," Harry replied, deciding not to tell her how Ron had nearly fallen all over himself laughing at the club and calling it Spew.

"I didn't think anyone paid any attention to that," she said softly.

Harry smiled at her. "I did."

"I remember hearing you freed Dobby from the Malfoys," Hermione put her napkin over her lap.

"He saved my life inadvertently," Harry said. "And it was the least I could do. Besides, living with the Malfoys isn't a punishment I'd wish on anyone."

"You can say that again," Hermione muttered.

"What would you like to drink?" Harry asked her.

"Um, some ice water would be nice," Hermione answered.

Harry turned to tell Dobby, but the house elf was already setting a glass of water in front of Hermione.

"Thank you," Hermione said to the little creature.

"Make that two," Harry said to Dobby.

"Anything else for Harry Potter and his love?" Dobby asked.

Hermione nearly choked on her water. "His what?"

"Dobby," Harry's face was red. "We're fine. You don't have to stay now if you want to get back to Winky."

"Harry Potter is sure?" Dobby asked.

"Yes," Harry said through clenched teeth.

Dobby gave a little bow before disappearing.

"I'm sorry about that," Harry said. "He was just---"

"He's a little outspoken," Hermione nodded. "Right."

"This is only our second date," Harry kept going. "I didn't tell him that we were----well that we were---"

"I know you didn't," Hermione reassured him.

"I just don't want you to feel uncomfortable," Harry said meeting her gaze.

Hermione looked into his eyes. "I don't," she whispered.

"Good," Harry said smiling at her. "Neither do I."

"Um... so what's he bringing for us?" Hermione asked.

"Well, the plan was for something Italian," Harry told her. "But...since he changed the room from how I planned, I wouldn't be surprised to see him come out here with something completely different."

Hermione smiled. "The room isn't all bad."

"I've never seen so much pink in all my life," Harry said shaking his head.

Hermione laughed. "I've seen enough, rooming with Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil. Thank goodness I have my own room this year."

"That has to be nice," Harry said. "Makes me wish I'd worked a little harder."

"I'd rather have you than Malfoy," Hermione rolled her eyes. "I don't know why Dumbledore picked him. He's useless."

"I would have thought Ernie Macmillan would have gotten it," Harry said.

Hermione shrugged. "I think the board stepped in and had Dumbledore do it."

"Well, at least they got something right," Harry said smiling at her. "They picked you."

Hermione blushed a bit. "I'm glad. I worked hard to get here."

"Persistence and hard work do pay off," Harry said looking pointedly at her. "It finally got me where I wanted to be… right here. With you."

"Point taken," Hermione said with a grin. "For what it's worth... I'm enjoying this. A lot."

Dobby came into the room one last time with their dinner and he set their covered plates before the couple.

"Dobby's specialty for Harry Potter and his love!" Dobby announced.

"Dobby," Harry sighed and then decided it wasn't worth the effort to correct the elf. "Thanks."

Dobby waited expectantly for them to look at the food. Hermione took the initiative and uncovered her plate to reveal chicken parmesan. "Dobby, this looks delicious!"

Harry nodded. "Definitely. Thanks so much Dobby." he smiled gratefully at the elf. "I owe you."

Dobby beamed at him. "Dobby must go tell Winky!"

Harry laughed as the elf disappeared. "He is too much."

"He wants to please you," Hermione said softly. "I think it's sweet."

"He's helped me loads of times," Harry replied. "This is no exception."

"You ever done this before?" Hermione asked. "Bring a girl up here?"

Harry shook his head. "I haven't really had time for girlfriends."

"But---" Hermione started to say, but she stopped herself.

"What?" he asked.

"It's just that I've heard rumours," Hermione said looking down at her plate.

"Such as?" he asked.

"That you----well, that you've been around," Hermione said blushing.

Harry shook his head. "Totally untrue. I would have hoped you'd know better than to believe those sorts of things."

"I'm sorry," Hermione said quietly.

"It's okay," Harry replied. "Let's just eat."

"Right," Hermione said, picking up her fork.

They ate in silence for a few minutes. "So... what else do you do for fun?"

"Books and old movies is pretty much it," Hermione told him.

"There's got to be something else," Harry prodded. "Come on. I promise not to tell."

Hermione shrugged. "I don't know..."

"Come on..."

"I like going to museums," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Scandalous," Harry said with a grin.

Hermione giggled. "You want some big confession, do you?"

"Sure," Harry sat back.

"Um....well, sometimes I'll go for a jog around the lake in the mornings before class," Hermione told him.

Harry shook his head. "So you really don't break any rules... except for what you did to Snape?"

"And getting pissed in Hogsmeade," Hermione said blushing.

"Of course," Harry answered.

"I've never done something like that before," Hermione admitted.

"Me either," Harry told her as he finished his dinner.

"Never gotten a girl pissed?" Hermione asked.

"Never really been pissed myself, either." Harry answered. "I felt like shite for doing that to you."

"You didn't really do anything," Hermione reassured him. "I overreacted. You bought the first glass, but I was the one who drank the better part of the bottle. You...you tried to protect me by getting me out of there."

"I shouldn't have initiated it in the first place," Harry picked at a piece of bread.

"It's in the past," Hermione said reaching across the table for his hand. "We started over, remember?"

He linked their fingers together. "Right."

"Right," Hermione agreed. "So...."

"We could dance," Harry suggested. "I'm rubbish at it, but we can try."

Hermione was about to say that they didn't have any music, but suddenly the room was filled with it. "This room really does do just what you need..."

"I come here sometimes when I need to be by myself," Harry said. "And Dumbledore and I trained here when I was... when I was getting ready to battle Voldemort."

Hermione couldn't have imagined what that was like for him. The weight of their world had been on his shoulders.

Harry held his hand out to her. "Come on," he said. "I'll do my best to not step on your feet."

"Okay," Hermione said taking his hand.

He pulled her close, liking how her body fit neatly against his.

"Not bad so far," Hermione said resting her head on his shoulder.

Harry closed his eyes as they moved around together. "Not at all," he agreed softly.

Hermione closed her eyes as well and felt for sure he could hear her heart beating loudly. It felt so right to be with him like this.

Harry kept his eyes closed and tried not to think of Malfoy paying him to do this. True, he hadn't paid him to be with Hermione that night, but he had to get him to take her to Hogsmeade.

"This is nice," Hermione whispered.

"Yes it is," he answered, running his hands up and down her back.

Hermione lifted her head from his shoulder and looked up into his green eyes.

"Did I tell you how gorgeous you look tonight?" he asked softly.

"You said I was beautiful earlier," Hermione replied.

"I forgot," Harry admitted. "And it'd be a shame if I didn't tell you..." he touched her cheek.

"Are you going to kiss me?" Hermione asked.

"Is that what you'd like?" Harry asked her.

"Maybe," Hermione replied coyly.

"That so?" Harry smiled.

Hermione looped her arms around his neck. "It's one of my things I like to do for fun."

"Kiss me?" Harry's smile turned into a grin. "After only a day?"

"I know a good thing when I see it," Hermione said leaning in.

"Me too," Harry sealed his lips over hers.

Hermione had been waiting for this since the moment they'd stepped into the room.

His arms slid around her waist, almost lifting her against him.

"Mmmm," Hermione murmured.

"I think we need a sofa," Harry mumbled, barely pulling his mouth from hers.

"That'd be nice," Hermione said dazedly.

"Over there," he tugged on her hands.

"Good thing you didn't wish for a bed," Hermione said before she could stop herself. "I mean..."

Harry also turned red. "No..." he answered. "Just um... just a sofa."

"A sofa is fine," Hermione said putting her head in her hands. "I've ruined the moment."

"No you haven't," Harry replied.

"Yes, I did," Hermione said sitting down on the sofa. "It's just---this is all new to me."

Harry sat down next to her. "It's sort of new to me too."

"You're definitely more experienced than me," Hermione said. "And Malfoy and I never did anything. I still can't believe I wasted any time on him."

"Don't think about that creep," Harry said quickly. "He's not worth your time."

"I guess everyone has their regrets," Hermione said softly.

"I can tell you one thing," Harry began. "Getting to know you isn't on the list of mine."

Hermione rested her head on his shoulder and he put his arm around her. "Just be patient with me. That's all I ask."

"No problem there," Harry pulled her close. "I plan on taking all sorts of time with you."

"I don't want to be hurt again," Hermione said.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I promise." Harry replied.

She wasn't so sure he could make such a promise, but she wanted to believe him.

"Hermione," he said softly. "You can trust me, remember?"

"I want to," Hermione said looking at him. "I do, it's just not easy for me."

"We'll just have to work through it together," Harry squeezed her hand.

"Thank you," Hermione said giving him a kiss.

"In the meantime," Harry brushed his lips over hers. "We can do a little bit of this..."

Hermione smiled. "I like that."

"And a little bit of that..." Harry pulled her close again.

"That'd be nice," Hermione said softly.

He ran his hands up through her hair as he kissed her again.

"Much better than our first date," Hermione said when they pulled apart.

"Yes," Harry said, leaning in.

This time, Hermione took the initiative and kissed him pulling him down with her.

They fell backward on the sofa and Harry deepened the kiss.

For once, she was enjoying being in the moment. She didn't care that she had rounds to do once they were finished here or that she had an essay she should be working on. Right now, nothing else mattered.

"Is this still okay?" Harry asked, their lips breaking apart momentarily.

The fact that he'd ask her that question made her want to swoon. She nodded. "Yes."

"Just let me know if I start to go too far," he tucked her hair behind her ear.

Hermione smiled up at him. "Okay."

They began snogging again as Harry pulled her over on top of him.

Hermione was thrown for a moment, unsure of what to do.

"Just go with it," Harry sensed her hesitation.

Hermione leaned down and pressed her lips to his.

His hands ran over her back and then, after a moment, he let his fingers trail under her shirt.

"Um---"

"Too much," he said. "Sorry..."

"No, it just took me by surprise is all," Hermione reassured him.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

Hermione nodded and guided his hand back to where it had been.

"Okay," he whispered.

"Just...just go slowly," Hermione said.

"Anything you want," Harry said softly.

"You may live to regret those words," Hermione teased.

"With the way things are going?" he asked with a grin.

"Good answer," Hermione said giving him a kiss.

"Very good," Harry pulled her back down to him.

What he was doing felt amazing and though she was scared, she trusted him.

Her skin was soft under his fingers as he ran them up her back. "Hermione..." he muttered.

"Yes?" Hermione purred.

"Do that again..."

"This?" Hermione asked, arching against him.

Harry let out a strangled groan.

Hermione smiled triumphantly.

It was his turn, Harry thought. He ran his hand back up under her shirt and over her bare skin.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat. "Mmmmmmm," she murmured.

"You are amazing, Granger." Harry's lips brushed over her ear.

"You know," Hermione said closing her eyes. "Since we are doing things like this and that you could call me by my first name..."

"Sorry," Harry replied. "Habit. I keep expecting you to call me Potter."

"You're not so annoying anymore," Hermione said laughing.

"Neither are you," Harry poked her side.

Hermione laughed even harder. "Don't do that!"

"This?" Harry asked with a grin, squeezing her side.

"Yes," Hermione said as he tickled her. "Harry!"

"You're so cute when you laugh," Harry replied.

"No one's ever called me cute," Hermione said cuddling up beside him.

"Always a first for everything," Harry said wrapping his arms around her.

"This has been the best night," Hermione said softly.

"I'm glad you think so," Harry replied. "Maybe we should consider this our first date."

"In a pink room," Hermione said. "With a pink sofa...."

"Ugh," Harry rolled his eyes. "This makes me hate pink more than ever."

"It's not that bad," Hermione said softly.

"You aren't that bad," Harry said. "And I guess I'm not as vile even more than before?" he teased.

"You've kind of grown on me," Hermione said. She didn't want to look at her watch, but she knew it was getting late.

"Good to know," Harry answered.

"Where do we go from here?" Hermione asked.

"I'm not sure yet," Harry confessed. "I guess we'll just take things as they come."

"I'm not usually so spontaneous," Hermione admitted. "I usually like to plan everything out to the smallest detail."

"I'm pretty much the opposite," Harry said. "I mean, for a long time, I never thought details mattered. It was all about getting to the next day."

Hermione touched his cheek. "But you did make it."

"Yeah," he nodded. "I did."

"I can't imagine what that was like for you," Hermione said softly.

"It's hard to describe," Harry said, not looking at her. "No one could ever really understand."

Hermione knew he didn't want to talk about it and so she changed the subject. "How would you like to walk me back to my room?"

"Sure," Harry nodded. "I'd like that."

"I might even let you kiss me good night if you play your cards right," Hermione said, standing up and looking down at him with a grin.

"You might, eh?" Harry pushed himself off the sofa.

"Maybe," Hermione said hitting him playfully on the arm.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her to him, kissing her deeply.

Hermione felt a little dazed when they pulled apart. "Um...wow..."

"Yeah," Harry agreed. "Amazing."

"We'd better go," Hermione said taking his hand.

Harry nodded as he led her out of the room

"It's past curfew," Hermione said looking at him. "Hopefully we won't run into Filch on our way back."

"You can just use your Head Girl status to get us out of punishment." Harry nudged her shoulder.

"I could tell Filch that I caught you snogging some girl in the Room of Requirement and I was personally escorting you back to Gryffindor Tower where I was going to punish you," Hermione said nudging him back.

"That depends on the kind of punishment you're talking about." Harry said with a wicked grin.

Hermione blushed. "Harry..."

"Sorry," he held up his free hand. "Too much thinking out loud. And being around guys like Ron and Seamus all the time."

"I imagine they don't care for me," Hermione said. Truth be told, she and Ron Weasley clashed on a regular basis.

"Their loss for not taking the chance to get to know you," Harry looked over at her.

"Well, I haven't exactly been friendly and welcoming to them, either," Hermione said.

"So we all need to work on things," Harry said. "It's our last year. Why shouldn't we all get along?"

"Spoken like a true diplomat," Hermione said taking his hand.

Harry laughed. "I try."

"But you're right," Hermione said. "I should make more of an effort. The only people other than you that I'm friendly with are Neville and Ginny."

"Neville's a good bloke," Harry commented. "And Ginny's like a little sister to me."

"She used to have a crush on you," Hermione said.

"Ginny? Harry asked. "Yeah I know."

"I think everyone knew," Hermione said.

"She's not my type," Harry said meaningfully.

"You like brunettes?" Hermione asked grinning at him.

"I do," Harry answered. "Smart, beautiful brunettes."

Hermione felt like she floated back to Gryffindor Tower. She couldn't remember the last time she'd had such a wonderful evening.

"So I guess this is good night," Harry said when they reached the stairs to her room. "I'm glad you waited for me."

"Me too," Hermione said softly.

Harry leaned in. "Do I get to kiss you then?"

"I think so," Hermione said smiling at him.

"You think?" he teased. "I want you to be sure."

"Kiss me already," Hermione said looping her arms around his neck.

Harry leaned in and kissed her, sliding his hands around her waist and pulling her into him.

"Good night," Hermione said dreamily pulling away.

"Night," Harry kissed her briefly again.

Hermione hurried upstairs without looking back at him. She knew if she did, she'd run back into his arms.

Harry watched her until she was gone. Part of him wanted to go back and start the evening all over again so he could be with her longer. The other part was continuously berating him over Malfoy's little wager.

He'd been stupid to make that bet with Malfoy. He couldn't trust Malfoy any further than he could throw him and who's to say Malfoy wouldn't run and tell this to Hermione the first chance he had?

His best hope was probably to tell Hermione what was going on. But she had not said anything about the pact and he was sure he wasn't even supposed to know about it. Perhaps Malfoy wouldn't say anything at all, as long as he was getting Ginny. He supposed he'd have to wait and see.

"Harry?"

He turned. "Yeah?"

Hermione stood at the foot of the stairs. She was biting her bottom lip and looking as if she wanted to ask him something. "Um...."

"Is everything okay?" he asked, walking back towards her.

"I was kind of wondering," Hermione stammered. "If...if you'd like to...well, if you might want to sleep with me?"

For a moment Harry was positively he hadn't heard correctly. "Come again?"

Hermione put her head in her hands when she realised what she'd just said. "Not like that! I just---I was wondering if maybe...you'd want to...sleep....in my bed with me? Just sleep."

"You want me to come up there with you?" Harry asked. "And stay in your room?"

Hermione nodded, suddenly feeling very shy. "Only if you want..."

Harry gulped. He wondered if was wise of him to go up there. He knew how easily lost he was when kissing her.

"I understand," Hermione said feeling like a fool.

"It's not that," Harry caught her hand. "I just... I'm a seventeen year old guy, Hermione. I pretty much live off hormones. I don't exactly trust myself around you."

Hermione smiled. "Harry..."

"You're not mad are you?" he asked warily.

Hermione shook her head. "No, I'm not mad. It was just---it was just an idea."

"Maybe soon," Harry promised. "Once we get more used to things..."

"I don't know what came over me," Hermione said blushing. "I mean, that's against like 50 school rules..."

"I can't believe Hermione Granger would even break one," Harry teased, still holding her hand.

"Me either," Hermione said. "Someone's been a bad influence."

"Uh oh," Harry leaned in and kissed her.

"Good night," Hermione said touching his cheek.

"I'll see you in the morning," Harry answered. "We'll go to breakfast together."

"I can't wait," Hermione said softly.

"Me either," Harry said. "Good night."

Hermione gave him a little wave before disappearing upstairs yet again.

Harry was amazed as she walked upstairs. She had wanted him to stay all night with her! It had literally taken all his willpower to say no, but he didn't want to take advantage of her.

He was too wired to go to sleep and decided that he needed a cold, cold shower.

"More like a dip in the ice cold lake," he muttered, heading for the loo.

He wasn't going to turn her down again anytime soon. He really wanted to treat her with care. She'd been hurt before and the last thing he wanted to do was hurt her again.