Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

A lot of you guys will like this chapter- something big finally happens for one pair, and something not so great happens for another. Enjoy!

Draco Malfoy kept one eye on the doors to the Great Hall while pretending to listen to Pansy Parkinson go on and on about what they'd done last night. He needed to see if Potter had made any headway with Granger. Draco was beyond impatient. He was ready for something to happen. He'd never go through this much hassle for just some girl.

"Where the hell are you?" he asked impatiently.

"Right here," Pansy said putting her hand on his thigh.

"Not you," Draco snapped. "Potter."

Pansy withdrew her hand. "Excuse me!"

Draco rolled his eyes before catching sight of Potter casually making his way in his direction.

"Go and get me some toast," Malfoy said to the Slytherin girl.

"I am not your slave," Pansy said indignantly.

"Then just go away," Draco said glaring at her.

Pansy huffed before stomping off.

Malfoy motioned for Harry to come over but the Gryffindor ignored him.

"Potter!" Malfoy snapped.

Harry turned around. "What?"

"I need to have a word with you," Draco said. "Privately."

"Not in here," Harry said looking over his shoulder to make sure Hermione wasn't here. "I'll meet you outside in five minutes."

"Fine," Draco said shortly.

Draco finished his breakfast and saw that Ginny Weasley had entered the Great Hall. He tried to get her attention but she was in deep in conversation with...Seamus Finnigan. What the hell was that all about?

Finnigan had better not be trying to make a move on her, he thought grimly.

Seamus looked at Ginny in disbelief. "Susan Bones? You can't be serious..."

"Why not?" Ginny asked. "She's... pretty- and smart, obviously."

Seamus shrugged. "I don't know. To tell you the truth, I think Nev fancies her."

Ginny felt her insides go cold. "You do?"

"They're always hanging out," Seamus pointed out.

"I think they just study together," Ginny answered quietly.

"Why would you want me to take her to Hogsmeade?" Seamus asked.

"Because I heard she likes you," Ginny answered. "And I thought... it might be nice."

Seamus turned around and glimpsed at the Hufflepuff table. Susan was sitting with a few of her friends and talking animatedly about something. "She is pretty," he admitted to Ginny. "But I was thinking of asking Victoria Frobisher."

"Her?" Ginny frowned.

"What's wrong with Victoria?" Seamus asked.

Ginny shrugged. "Nothing, I guess."

"Have you heard something?" Seamus asked.

"No," Ginny shook her head. "I was just hoping you fancied Susan back, is all."

Seamus wasn't convinced. Truth be told, he thought Frobisher was trying to play him. "I suppose I could ask Susan. You know, see if she's keen..."

Ginny's smile returned. "Really? That's great, Seamus!"

"I'll go and ask her," Seamus said getting to his feet.

Ginny sat back and grinned. This was perfect. Now Susan would be preoccupied with Seamus and not bother Neville.

Just outside the Great Hall, Draco was waiting for Harry. He needed to know how things were progressing with Granger.

Harry finally emerged a few minutes later. "What is it?" he asked coolly.

"You and the Mud----you and Granger," Malfoy corrected. "How's that going?"

"Fine," Harry crossed his arms.

"What do you mean by fine?" Draco snapped.

"Things are fine," Harry replied. "Why do you even care? You got your date with Ginny."

"Things haven't gone exactly as I would have liked," Draco admitted begrudgingly. "I was just making sure you were keeping up your end of the bargain."

"We had one date," Harry chose not to mention that he was still seeing Hermione. "That was our deal."

"You need to ask her out again," Draco said impatiently. "I'll double the wager."

Harry shook his head. "Not interested."

"I'll give you 500 galleons," Malfoy countered.

Harry raised an eyebrow but remained silent.

"Another Hogsmeade weekend coming up," Malfoy said. "Ask her and see what you can do."

"I told you, I'm not interested," Harry replied. "And why should I help you?"

"Because I care about Ginny and you want her to be happy, right?" Malfoy replied.

"You don't care about her," Harry said disdainfully.

"Would I be going to this much trouble if I didn't?" Malfoy asked.

Harry shrugged.

"Look, I realise that Granger isn't exactly a prize," Malfoy said taking Harry's reluctance as a slight toward Hermione.

"You have no idea what you're talking about," Harry rolled his eyes.

"She's a pain in the arse," Malfoy said. "And she's boring. But you're getting 500 galleons out of this, Potter. And you'd be helping out someone you claim to love like a sister."

Harry really didn't want to get involved again with Malfoy like this. He was still worried that the Slytherin would turn and blab everything to the school.

"What do you say?" Malfoy asked extending his hand.

Harry regarded him warily. He didn't want or need Malfoy's money, but he also knew that Malfoy hated parting with his gold and that was almost reason enough to do this. "Fine." he said, ignoring the blond's hand. "I'll ask her out again."

Malfoy grinned. "Good. And just so you know, lie to her about how great she looks. She'll eat it up."

"I know how to ask out a girl," Harry retorted.

"Just giving you a tip," Draco said before heading back into the Great Hall. He walked up behind Ginny and put his arms around her neck. "Good morning, Beautiful."

Ginny jumped and then smiled. "Hi Draco," she said softly.

"You look gorgeous as usual," he said sitting down beside her.

"Thanks," Ginny said. "What brings you by?"

"Do I need a reason?" Draco asked grinning at her.

"I suppose not," Ginny smiled back.

"What are you up to?" Draco asked.

"Just breakfast," Ginny said. "You?"

"Feeling really good about this weekend," Draco said putting an arm around her.

Ginny felt a small flutter in her stomach. "I heard it was a Hogsmeade weekend..." she hoped Harry would be asking Hermione again so she could go as well.

"It is," Draco said, not noticing Neville Longbottom standing behind them. He was contemplating sitting at the other end of the table when Ginny spotted him.

"Neville," Ginny said smiling at him. "Have a seat."

Neville glanced over at Malfoy, who sent him a nasty look. "Okay," he answered.

"How are you doing this morning?" Ginny asked.

"Good," Neville smiled at her. "How's your ankle?"

"Much better," Ginny said quietly.

"Your ankle?" Draco asked.

"I um... I twisted it," Ginny blushed. "Just being clumsy..."

"Want me to kiss it and make it better?" Draco asked flirtatiously.

Ginny laughed. "Maybe..."

Neville pushed his plate away.

"Let's go for a walk, Red." Draco reached for her hand.

"I'd love to," Ginny said taking his hand.

Draco kissed the back of her hand. "Maybe we can get some private time in down by the lake..."

Ginny blushed. "Um, we can't. Draco, classes will be starting soon."

"Just a quick one," Draco replied.

"I'm not so sure that's a good idea," Ginny hedged. "I don't want to get detention..."

Draco frowned. "So you don't want to be alone with me, is that what you're saying?"

"No, of course not," Ginny said hastily. "I just don't want to get into trouble. My first class is Charms and I've already been late three times this term. Flitwick told me if I was late once more, I'd get detention."

"Well how about I walk you there then?" Draco squeezed her hand.

"That'd be nice," Ginny said. "I'll meet you at the door in just a minute."

"Great," Draco replied. "I'll get my things."

Neville had watched this little scene unfold and he couldn't help the words that came out of his mouth. "You deserve better, Ginny."

"What?" Ginny asked. "Why do you say that?"

Neville met her gaze. "I didn't mean to say that aloud. I'm sorry."

Ginny frowned. "But you obviously meant something by it."

"I don't like how he treats you," Neville said quietly. "I just think that you should be with someone who realises how special you are. Someone who cares about you..."

"And who would that be?" Ginny asked softly.

"Me," Neville said deciding it was now or never.

At first, Ginny didn't think she'd heard him right. "What?"

"Me," Neville said not looking away.

Heat crept up her neck and face as she remembered her dream. "You mean... you fancy me?"

Neville nodded. "For quite some time, actually."

Ginny sat back down with a thump. "Why didn't you ever say something before?"

"I never thought the feeling would be mutual," Neville admitted. "I thought it should have been obvious."

Ginny looked at him for several moments. "Neville..."

"I have to get to class," Neville said, already knowing what her response was going to be. The truth was, she was never going to see him as anything but poor, pitiful Neville.

"Wait," Ginny touched his arm. "Let me walk with you."

"What about Malfoy?" Neville asked her.

"I'll see him later," Ginny replied.

Neville couldn't believe she'd said that. "Um...okay..."

Ginny hardly knew what to say as they left the Great Hall. SHE was the one he fancied?

"I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable," Neville apologised.

"You didn't," Ginny answered.

Neville thought about all the things he'd wanted to say to her for so long. The fact that she was with him now instead of walking with Malfoy had to say something, didn't it?

"So when you didn't want to tell me about this the girl you fancied, you were talking about me the whole time?" Ginny asked

Neville's cheeks reddened. "Yeah."

"I'm sorry I tried to push you," Ginny said.

He shook his head. "You weren't to know..."

Ginny stopped him. "Neville..."

"What?"

"I like you too," Ginny said in a rush.

Neville looked at her. "As a friend?"

Ginny shook her head. "No..."

"As what?" Neville asked, feeling as if he was going to pass out.

"I think you were right," Ginny said, reaching for is his hand. "I deserve better... maybe even deserve a guy like you."

"Ginny," Neville said softly. He hesitated for a moment before pressing his lips to hers.

Ginny's eyes popped open in surprise as Neville kissed her.

To her delight, nothing bad happened. She dropped her books and kissed him back, hoping she was doing it right.

Neville wound his arms around her waist and pulled her up against him.

Ginny felt light-headed when they pulled apart. "That was my first kiss," she said softly.

"Mine too," he admitted.

"Really?" Ginny asked.

"Yeah," Neville said with some embarrassment.

Ginny saw a few of her classmates hurrying for the Charms classroom and she wished she had a time turner so she could go back a couple of minutes so she could kiss him again.

"You should go," Neville said squeezing her hand. "You don't want to be late."

"Will you meet me after class?" she asked. "So we can um... talk some more?"

Neville smiled. "I'd love to talk some more..."

"Okay," Ginny said, more thrills coursing through her.

Neville kissed her one last time. "Bye..."

"Bye," Ginny said dreamily. She almost floated to class, her mind on what had just happened.

She managed to make it to class just in time and slid into her seat beside Sarah.

"What's with you?" Sarah whispered.

"Nothing," Ginny replied, not wanting to share this just yet.

Ginny barely heard a word Professor Flitwick said. Her mind was reeling with what had just happened. She'd just had her first kiss and it had been absolutely perfect.

And of all people she wanted to talk to about it, Hermione Granger was foremost of the people she wanted to tell, even over her best friends. She had a feeling Hermione would know exactly how she felt.

When her class finally came to an end, she was hoping to see Neville waiting for her. But, she found Draco Malfoy leaning against the wall, his arms folded. He didn't look all that happy.

"What happened to you?" he demanded.

"What?" Ginny asked.

"Where the hell were you?" he asked angrily. "I waited for you by the doors like we agreed."

"I'm sorry," Ginny apologised. "I just... went right to class."

"What the hell is wrong with you, Red?" Draco asked. "You know, I think I've been a very patient bloke, but this is---"

"I said I was sorry," Ginny cut in. She wasn't about to tell him about Neville. "I don't really want detention and Flitwick's on the edge with me."

"Don't let it happen again," Draco said before stalking off.

Ginny shook her head. "What did I see in him?" she wondered.

Ginny walked in the direction of the dungeons and felt a smile play at her lips when she spotted Susan Bones and Seamus Finnigan walking hand in hand just a few feet ahead of her.

She felt bad for thinking nasty things about Susan, especially now that she knew Neville fancied her.

Neville fancied her. She couldn't believe it. Maybe he'd ask her to go to Hogsmeade this weekend and then perhaps the Yule Ball.

Ginny wrapped her arms around herself and let out a tiny excited squeal. Things were finally going her way.

Neville came up behind her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Sorry, I had to help clean up in Herbology. I got here as soon as I could."

Ginny turned around and smiled. "It's okay."

"I couldn't really concentrate," Neville said smiling at her.

"Me either," Ginny answered. "I was sort of thinking about other things..."

"I can't believe this is happening," Neville said taking her hand.

They headed for one of the unused classrooms. "I can't believe I was so blind," Ginny said, sitting on the edge of a desk.

He stood in front of her. "I should have said something sooner, but by then you were already with Malfoy. I just never dreamt that you'd feel the same way."

"I didn't realise I did," Ginny admitted.

Neville took her hands in his. "You're amazing, Ginny. I know I'm blabbering on, but I can't help it. I've kept this inside for so long."

"I wish I had known," she said softly. "You've always been my friend, but until this year, I never saw you as anything but that."

"And now?" Neville asked.

"I see you as a lot more," Ginny smiled at him.

Neville grinned and pulled her close. He couldn't believe this was actually happening. She was here with him.

Ginny wrapped her arms around him. "Are you going to kiss me again?" she asked impishly.

"Maybe," Neville grinned.

"Maybe?" she asked. "Just maybe?"

Neville kissed her again, feeling more confident than he'd ever felt in his life.

Ginny closed her eyes and relished the feeling of his lips against hers. She was happier than she had been all year.

Neville rested his forehead on hers. "So, I guess we're still on for tonight's tutoring session then?"

"Tutoring?" Ginny asked dazedly.

"Herbology," Neville said softly.

"Oh yeah," Ginny giggled. "Um... yes. We're still on for tutoring."

Neville brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "And maybe some snogging....if you do well..."

"I'll study extra hard," Ginny promised softly.

Neville gave her another kiss, causing some of the other students walking by to make catcalls. He didn't care.

"You're really... really... good at that," Ginny blinked when he pulled away.

Neville blushed. "So are you."

Ginny smiled at him then groaned. "I have to get to Potions..."

"I have no idea where I'm supposed to go," Neville admitted.

"What?" Ginny laughed.

"I'm just a little dazed and confused," Neville said giving her hand a squeeze. "Thanks to you."

"I do my best," Ginny leaned in and pecked him on the lips.

"I'll see you at lunch," Neville said.

Ginny nodded. "I already can't wait."

Neville watched her head for Potions before he turned and headed for his next class. He still didn't know where Draco Malfoy figured into all this. But, Neville hoped that given what had just transpired, Draco Malfoy was out of the picture.

He slipped in at the last moment next to Harry. "Guess what?" he said in a hushed tone.

"What?" Harry asked.

"Ginny fancies me too," Neville couldn't contain his large grin.

Harry looked at him. "You told her?"

Neville nodded. "And we kissed."

Harry grinned back at him. "Congratulations, mate. That's fantastic."

Neville nodded. "Thanks."

"I'm glad it worked out for you," Harry said in a hushed tone. "You definitely were the better man."

"Thanks Harry," Neville said. "What do you think... Ron will say about this?"

"His bark will be worse than his bite," Harry said thoughtfully. "He'll talk a big game, but he knows you and he trusts you."

"I hope so," Neville said quietly.

Harry and Neville's conversation came to a halt as Professor McGonagall gave them a pointed look. Harry turned to his right and caught Hermione's eye. She smiled at him before returning her attention to her notes.

Neville waited until the professor was talking again before looking back over at Harry. "What's going on with you and Hermione?"

"We're friends," Harry said evasively.

"Hermione's a nice girl," Neville replied.

"She is," Harry agreed opening up his textbook.

Neville studied him for a long moment. "Promise me you won't hurt her."

Harry looked properly at him. "I wouldn't hurt her, Neville."

"Okay," he nodded.

Harry returned his attention to his textbook, but he kept thinking about that stupid bet. He couldn't shake the feeling that this would all blow up in his face and he'd break his promise to Neville. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt Hermione.

A folded up piece of parchment suddenly appeared before him and he looked over in Hermione's direction. She looked deep in concentration. He unfolded the note.

For the first time that I can remember, I'm not able to concentrate. I blame you.

He smiled before grabbing his quill. You're a bad influence too, you know.... he wrote before sending the note back to her.

He watched out of the corner of his eye as she read his note. A few minutes later, she sent the note back to him. Me? A bad influence? You obviously do not know me, Harry Potter. I am the very model of decorum. I was wondering if you were going to stay here for the holidays?

I had planned on it, he wrote back. Why? Would you miss me if I went home?

Hermione read his response and waited a few moments before scribbling her own. I was planning on going home myself, but I might be persuaded to stay...

Tell me more... Harry scratched his quill over the parchment.

McGonagall has asked the ferret and me to stay behind because of the Yule Ball. I don't really want to go to that, but I figure I should stay to help with the preparations even if I'm not going to go. She waited until Professor McGonagall's head was turned before she sent the note back to Harry.

I'll probably stay, Harry decided to avoid mentioning anything about the Yule Ball just yet. No point in going home to an empty house.

Hermione's response was simple. Good.

Something tells me you'd miss me a lot, Harry wrote cockily.

Hermione read his response and gave him a patented Hermione look. She shook her head as she wrote her reply. You did turn me down last night.

That won't happen again, he wrote back.

Hermione knew she should be writing notes or at least working on the assignment, but this was much more fun. She grabbed her quill and wrote a bold reply. So if I were to ask you again....

I might have to take you up on it... Harry also wrote boldly. But I also don't want to take advantage of you.

You are a gentleman. Hermione smiled as she wrote her reply. But, I trust you and I know you wouldn't take advantage of me.

Harry certainly hoped he wouldn't. But sometimes when he started kissing her, he found it hard to hold back.

Perhaps we should take things slow, Harry wrote. We don't need to rush things and I think we should keep our relationship secret. Just you and me.

Hermione's eyebrows creased. Keep it a secret?

She crumbled up the piece of parchment and stuffed it into her bag. It now started to make sense. He was playing her. He'd been playing her all along. Kissing her in private was okay. Walking hand in hand down the halls apparently wasn't. He wanted to be with her but just not so everyone could see.

Harry was confused when Hermione didn't write him back and he tried to corner her after class.

"Will you slow down?" Harry called after her. "Give a bloke a chance to catch up!"

Hermione ignored him and only quickened her pace.

Harry thought she was playing hard to get and he laughed which was apparently the wrong thing to do given how she turned and gave him what could only be described as a death glare.

"I'm keeping it a secret," she said icily. "You know... so know one knows about us."

The smile on Harry's face fell. "You don't understand. That's not what I---"

"Sure it isn't," Hermione returned coldly.

"I was only trying to say that we should keep things quiet," Harry tried to explain. "Just so no one knows. It's no one's business, but ours."

"So you're not embarrassed to be seen with me, right?" Hermione asked scathingly. "Do me a favour Potter. Stay away from me. I don't want your pity."

Harry shook his head. "Hermione, you've got this all wrong! Wait---"

"I said, leave me alone," she nearly shoved him aside to get away.

Harry wondered what he'd done that was so wrong? All he'd wanted her to do was keep things quiet between them long enough to get Malfoy off of his back.

He sighed as he trudged towards his next class. Maybe he should have told her right out about Malfoy paying him. But if she reacted like she had to him asking her to keep quiet, there was no telling what she would say or do to THAT.

Unfortunately, his next class was Divination. The one class he had that didn't include Hermione.

He figured he could use the class to zone out and figure out how to get back in her good graces.

"You look like you just lost your best mate," Ron said sitting down across from him. "But that can't be...I'm right here."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I just have a lot on my mind," he muttered.

"Hermione Granger?" Ron guessed.

Harry glared at him. "Drop it."

Ron shrugged. "Sorry..."

Harry slumped in his chair. "I hope Trelawney isn't in one of her moods today."

"When is she NOT in one of her moods?" Ron asked as the professor breezed into the classroom. "Here we go...."

Harry prayed that Trelawney wouldn't call attention to him as she so often did. He wanted to remain as anonymous as possible that day.

"Today, we're going to talk about love," Trelawney announced.

Harry nearly groaned aloud. "You have got to be kidding me," he muttered.

Lavender, Parvati and the other girls in the class squealed with delight.

Harry shared a look with Ron, who rolled his eyes.

"There are many different ways to predict love," Trelawney said. "Tea leaves...horoscopes..."

"What about stars?" Lavender asked eagerly.

"Absolutely, Miss Brown," Trelawney beamed at her. "What astrological sign are you, Miss Brown?"

"Virgo," Lavender said importantly.

"Ah yes," Trelawney said thoughtfully. "The virgin..."

"Hardly," Ron coughed, making several guys in the classroom laugh.

Lavender glared at him. "Shut it, Ron."

Trelawney continued as if she hadn't heard Ron's remark. "Miss Brown, as a Virgo, you are known for your ability to be very discriminating, but when you focus on that one perfect love, you go at it with all your heart. Do you find that to be true?"

"Oh yes," Lavender replied. "I'm very picky about the blokes I go out with."

Ron snickered.

Lavender whipped around and glared fiercely at him. "I got picky after I went out with YOU!"

"Please keep your opinions to yourself, Mr. Weasley," Trelawney admonished. "Let's move on to you then, shall we? What astrological sign are you?"

"I have no idea," Ron admitted.

"When is your birth date?" Trelawney asked.

"March first," Ron replied.

"Pisces," Trelawney said moving to stand in front of him. "You are a water sign."

"What's that mean?" Ron asked warily.

"The water element symbolizes emotion," Trelawney told him. "Water runs deep, Mr. Weasley just as your emotions do."

Harry rolled his eyes.

"And you, Mr. Potter..." Trelawney focused on him. "When is your birthday?"

"July 31st," Harry answered reluctantly.

"Leo," Trelawney said. "The lion."

"Oooooh!" Parvati gushed. "Like a true Gryffindor!"

"Just great," Harry answered.

"You keep to yourself," Trelawney said. "But you let a few people in..."

Harry shrugged. "Maybe."

"What does this all have to do with anything?" Ron asked, rescuing his friend.

"Because, Mr. Weasley," Trelawney said. "Your sign is a major factor in your future mate."

"Would someone who had a birth date of say February 17th be compatible with me?" Ron asked trying to sound nonchalant.

"That's the Aquarius," Trelawney replied thoughtfully. "I do believe you would be wonderfully matched... is there someone you care for that has that sign?"

Ron's cheeks reddened. "Um, no, I was just picking a random date..."

Harry couldn't resist a sardonic grin at his best friend.

"Your assignment for the remainder of the class is to research the details about your own astrological sign and see which signs are your perfect match," Trelawney said.

"Thank Merlin," Ron muttered as Trelawney went over to Lavender and Parvati's table. "I thought she'd never shut up."

"Thanks for saving me back there," Harry said.

"Saving you?" Ron snorted. "I nearly embarrassed the shite out of myself in the process."

"February 17th is Luna's birthday, isn't it?" Harry asked with a grin.

"So what if it is?" Ron opened his Divinations textbook.

"I was just asking a question," Harry said looking at his textbook. "According to this, I'm compatible with Virgo. I guess this means Lavender Brown and I are a match made in heaven."

"I think you should tell her that," Ron looked over his shoulder.

Harry snorted. He was having a hard enough time with one girl.

"So what did Granger do that has you all hot and bothered?" Ron asked.

Harry wasn't about to tell Ron the whole story. He didn't think Ron would like the idea that he had accepted Malfoy's bet even if he had done it to help Neville. He'd told Ron a condensed version of the story and left out any mention of Malfoy or Ginny.

"You told her you wanted to keep things secret?" Ron asked shaking his head. "Big mistake, Harry. Big mistake. She thinks you're embarrassed by her."

"Is that why she stormed off?" Harry asked. "She didn't even let me explain."

"You're in the doghouse," Ron said.

"Whatever," Harry muttered.

"She holds a grudge," Ron continued.

"Just great," Harry rolled his eyes.

"Of course I never dreamt she'd ever give you a chance," Ron said thoughtfully. "So you might still be in with a chance..."

"Fine," Harry said sharply, not wanting to listen to Ron drone on any more.

"Sorry," Ron said quietly.

Harry sighed as he flipped a few pages in his book. "So how do I get back on her good side?" he asked after a few minutes.

"You do realise you're asking someone who has been trying to get Luna Lovegood to notice him for the better part of the last two years?" Ron asked.

Harry cast him a grin. "But you are taking her to the Yule Ball..."

"Yes, well I still don't know how that happened," Ron said. "But, if you want to get back into Hermione's good graces, you should probably think of something that is important to her. Show her that you care about something she's over the moon about. Like---I saw her the other night in the common room knitting those ridiculous hats...maybe you could take up knitting!"

"Yeah right," Harry shook his head. "I'll figure something out."

The two boys worked a little on their assignment, both of them making up things they knew Trelawney would eat up with a spoon.

"Would you look at this?" Parvati asked pulling a piece of parchment from her bag. "Hermione stuffed this into my bag earlier. She's still trying to get people to join that stupid club..."

"Spew," Lavender said disdainfully. "Makes me want to do just that..."

Harry turned around. "Parvati...can I see that paper, please?"

"All yours Harry," Parvati's expression turned sweet.

"Thanks," Harry said taking it from her. Hermione had drawn a picture of a house elf and a witch and wizard. In bright, bold letters the paper announced that evening's big membership drive.

"SPEW," Harry said thoughtfully.

Ron rolled his eyes. "She's going to be disappointed again. She's done this every year and no one's joined other than Neville."

"Maybe we should join," Harry said to him.

Ron laughed. "No."

"Why not?" Harry asked. "You probably wouldn't have to do anything... just show some support."

Ron shook his head. "Not going to happen."

"Come on," Harry pressed. "I bet if Luna was in Gryffindor, she'd join."

"You're not seriously going to that, are you?" Parvati asked.

"I was thinking about it," Harry flashed her a grin. "Why don't you come too?"

Parvati blushed. "If you go, I might..."

"Maybe I will too," Lavender put a hand on his arm.

"Seamus? Dean?" Harry asked. "Are you in?"

"For that?" Dean asked. "Sounds pretty boring to me."

Seamus nodded. "Count me out. I have too much to do anyway."

"Come on," Harry said. "It'll probably be about an hour, tops."

"I'll do it if you let me use your Firebolt this weekend," Seamus countered.

Harry glared at him. "Saturday. For an hour."

"I'll get it on Sunday," Dean chimed in.

"What?" Harry asked. "Wait just a minute--"

"Come on," Dean said folding his arms. "You do want people to show up, right?"

"I'm not letting everyone have a go on my Firebolt," Harry objected.

"An hour's not going to hurt, is it?" Dean asked. "And I'll even see if I can get some more people to come."

"Fine," Harry said. "You can use it on Sunday. But that's it!"

Dean grinned. "What time is it anyway?"

"Seven," Harry looked at the paper.

"We'll be there," Lavender promised. "Right, Parvati?"

"Right," Parvati smiled flirtatiously at Harry. "We'll see you there..."

Harry wasn't sure if this would be enough to make up for what he'd done to Hermione, but it was all he had right now.

"Thanks," he told all of them. "Just make sure you all are on time, okay?"

He didn't see Hermione the rest of the day. She wasn't at lunch and she wasn't in Potions. Harry made the mistake of asking the Potions professor where the Head Girl was and Snape had snidely told him to mind his own business.

He was amazed she could skip class and get away with it, but he wasn't about to go up and talk to Snape again. He resigned himself to waiting until that night at the meeting to see her again.