Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

Well, Harry finally makes a little headway in this chapter. Hope you all enjoy it!

While most of her fellow students slept, Hermione was wide awake and sitting in the Great Hall enjoying a quiet breakfast. Onlya handful of students were awake at this hour and Hermione always liked it best like this. She hadn't slept well last night namely because she couldn't stop thinking about what had happened last night in the common room.

It had been quite some time since anyone had affected her like that.

She hadn't known he had seen her the night of the Yule Ball. It was true- she had realised she had looked quite pretty that evening and couldn't resist looking at herself in the mirror.

It had seemed like such a lifetime ago. The girl who she was then wasn't the same girl she was now. She knew not to put her faith in other people. She knew that she had to protect her heart.

"Just don't let him bug you," she coached herself. "He's just like any other guy."

"Who is?" Ginny asked plopping down beside her friend.

"Nobody," Hermione answered. "You're up early."

"I couldn't sleep," Ginny said with a yawn.

"How come?" Hermione asked, reaching for a pitcher of juice.

"Lots on my mind," Ginny said. "Like the fact that I'm going to be an old maid..."

Hermione sighed. "Ginny--"

"One date, Hermione," Ginny said pleadingly. "That's all that you'd have to agree to."

"There's no one I want to go with," Hermione half lied. "Besides, this is a magical pact. If it were that easy, I'd agree to go with anyone then break the date."

"There's got to be someone that you have your eye on," Ginny continued. "You may act like a bookworm, but even you have to fancy someone. Come on...there are a lot of cute blokes around here."

Hermione pulled a large book out of her bag. "Nope."

"Liar," Ginny said buttering some toast.

"You can think what you want," Hermione replied. "It doesn't change the fact that you're wrong."

Ginny glared at her. "Hermione! I'm your friend and I think you could do just this one thing for me!"

Hermione stood up. "I don't need this, Ginny. I've got a lot of responsibilities this year, and dating is not one of them. You'll get over it."

"Hermione," Ginny said getting to her feet as well. "Look, I'm sorry. I just...I really want to date. I want that more than anything. All's I'm asking is that you try one date. If nothing happens, fine. I'll drop it. I'll be miserable, but I'll know that you tried. Please?"

Hermione looked down at the younger girl as a wave of guilt overcame her. "I'll... I'll think about it," she said quietly.

Ginny gave her a hug. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

Despite herself, Hermione smiled. "I'm going to the library."

"Wait," Ginny said. "There is something I needed to ask you." She explained that Neville was helping her with her Herbology and how she planned on paying him back. "He's avoiding me and I just want to know if you know who it is that he fancies..."

Hermione shook her head. "I have no idea. He's never mentioned fancying any girl to me."

"Damn," Ginny said. "This would be so much easier if I knew who it was."

"If I hear anything, I'll let you know." Hermione said. "See you..."

"Bye," Ginny waved at her.

Hermione walked out the door and nearly collided with Harry.

"Hey," he said smiling at her.

Hermione didn't say anything in response. Before he could say anything else, she hurried away.

Draco Malfoy cackled from just behind Harry. "She's really falling for you..."

"Shove off Malfoy," Harry glared at him. "I'm working on it."

"Short of a love potion, I'd say you're never going to get anywhere," Malfoy said smirking at him.

"If I don't, then neither are you," Harry said smugly.

"Point taken," Draco said the smirk fading away. "But you are moving at a snail's pace. If it was me, I'd have already been in her knickers by now."

"And that's a lovely thought," Harry replied. "Back off. I'll get it done."

"Well then follow her," Malfoy said. "Wear her down."

Harry stared at him coldly. "I said I'd get it done."

"I know what she likes," Malfoy said. "So if you need pointers..."

Harry sent the blond a thoroughly disgusted look. "From you? No thanks."

Draco shrugged. "Good luck."

Harry turned and walked in the direction Hermione had disappeared in. He had a feeling she had gone to the library and his suspicion proved right when he saw her hunched over a desk.

"Good morning," he said tapping her on the shoulder.

Hermione sighed. "Go away."

"Now why do I think you don't really want me to do that?" he asked, sitting down across from her.

"Because you're delusional?" Hermione asked not looking up from her book.

"Good one," Harry replied. "You know... a week from today is the Hogsmeade visit."

"Yes," Hermione said quietly. "I know."

"Have you reconsidered going with me?" Harry leaned in.

She thought about Ginny and her promise to think about it. "I-I don't know."

"Well that's better than a no," Harry said with a grin.

"Why me?" Hermione asked him point blank.

"I find you interesting," Harry said truthfully.

"I'm not interesting," Hermione told him. "I don't like Quidditch. You and I don't have much in common..."

"To the contrary," Harry replied. "And you don't know much about my interests. You could find out more if you'd just go out with me." he sent her a slow, charming grin.

Hermione knew this was a bad idea, but she had promised Ginny. "Um..."

Harry raised his eyebrow. "Yeah?"

She wasn't sure what would happen when she answered him given what had happened to Ginny. "Um...okay. I'll go with you."

At first, Harry wasn't sure he had heard right. "You will?"

"Don't make me say it again," Hermione said looking down at the desk.

Harry smiled at her. "We'll have a lot of fun," he promised.

Hermione was silent. Harry looked at the silver bracelet on her wrist. "That's nice..."

"My parents gave it to me for my last birthday," Hermione told him.

"Mind if I take a closer look?" he asked.

She wasn't sure why he'd want to, but she nodded.

He inspected the bracelet, her skin warm under his hand. "They must care a lot about you."

"They're parents," Hermione said softly. "You know how it is. Um, I'm sorry---"

"It's okay," Harry answered.

"It was insensitive," Hermione apologised.

"I wasn't offended," Harry said. "Don't worry about it."

Hermione nodded. "My parents are little overprotective, but they mean well. They think I'll finish up here and go straight to university so I can become a dentist like them."

"You don't seem the type to become a dentist," Harry commented.

"I'm not," Hermione admitted, wondering why she was telling him this. "The truth is...the truth is that I don't have a clue what I want to do with my life."

Harry looked at her pensively. "I bet you'd make a good professor."

"You really think so?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," Harry replied.

"What about you?" Hermione asked.

Harry shrugged. "I'll figure that out when I get there."

"I guess we have that in common," Hermione said quietly.

"It's a start," Harry grinned at her again.

Hermione looked curiously at him. She couldn't quite figure him out. He obviously wasn't in any hurry to get away from her. "Have you big plans for this weekend?"

"Not really," Harry replied. "Thought I'd go flying."

Hermione wrinkled her nose but didn't say anything.

"You don't like flying?" Harry asked. "Really? It's one of my favourite things in the world."

"I like my feet on the ground, thank you," Hermione replied.

"Have you ever tried it?" Harry pursued.

"Not since that elementary lesson we had with Madam Hooch our first year," Hermione told him.

"Seriously?" Harry asked. "We should go sometime then."

Hermione shook her head. "I don't think so."

"Why not?" he pressured.

"Because I don't like it," Hermione replied. "And I---"

Her words were cut off as he stood up and took her hand pulling her to her feet. "Potter, I really have a lot of work to do. I am not going flying with you."

"Hermione--" he began.

"I'm....I'm scared of heights," she said in a hushed tone. "Okay?"

"Is that all?" he asked before he could stop himself.

Hermione's cheeks reddened. "Yes."

"That's not so bad," Harry replied. "It's easy to get over."

"I don't think so," Hermione said moving to sit down again, but he held on to her. "Potter---"

"Harry," he corrected.

"Harry," Hermione said rolling her eyes.

"I do like the way you say my name," he grinned.

Despite herself, Hermione laughed. "I can't believe this actually works on girls. But then again, you have that whole saving the world thing going for you."

"You have a nice laugh too," Harry said, trying to pull her closer.

"You---you really saw me that night of the ball?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," he nodded.

She looked away. She hadn't meant to ask him that.

He squeezed her hand and moved even closer.

"Po---Harry," Hermione whispered.

"Whoa," a voice startled them both. "Harry what the hell are you doing with her?" Ron was staring at them.

Hermione pulled away from Harry. "Um, I have to go."

"Wait," Harry said. "I'll walk with you."

"No," she snapped. "I'm capable of walking by myself!"

Ron shook his head. "Is it your time of the month, Granger?"

Hermione cast him a dirty look. "Fancy some points being taken off, Ron?"

"No," Ron grumbled.

Hermione gathered her books and walked away.

Harry hit Ron hard in the arm. "Thanks. Thanks very much," he said sarcastically.

"Why were you with her?" Ron asked bluntly. "She's a bloody bi--"

"She's not," Harry cut him off. "And I don't want to hear you talking about her like that again."

"What the hell's come over you?" Ron looked at him strangely. "When did you take up with Granger? And why?"

Harry let out a frustrated sigh. He had broken though to Hermione. And then Ron had come in spoiling everything. "I'm taking her to Hogsmeade."

Ron's eyes bugged out. "WHAT?" he nearly shouted.

"Mr. Weasley," Madam Pince said sternly. "This is a library!"

Ron looked around. "We're the only ones in here!"

"It is still a library," she replied, her eyebrows knit together. "And I want QUIET!"

Ron turned his back to the librarian and rolled his eyes. He looked at his best friend. "She reminds me of Granger."

Harry shook his head. "You're impossible. Just deal with it. I'm going to Hogsmeade with Hermione."

"It's your funeral," Ron said. "What could you possibly see in her?"

Neither of the two boys knew that Hermione was standing within earshot just behind one of the bookshelves.

"Something the rest of you don't," Harry half lied. "I think she's interesting. And I want to get to know her better." he decided not to mention the fact that Malfoy was paying him.

"Interesting?" Ron asked incredulously.

A smile played at Hermione's lips as she heard what Harry had said.

"Do you speak English?" Harry asked sarcastically. "That's what I said."

"You've obviously taken leave of your senses," Ron said. "And I'm going back to the Great Hall. I'm starving."

"Bye," Harry rolled his eyes. When Ron left, he gathered his things and headed out of the library as well.

"Potter," Hermione called after him. He didn't turn around. "Potter!" Still, he didn't turn around. "Harry!"

He turned around. "Yes?"

She couldn't believe she was doing this. "Um..."

"Is everything okay?" Harry asked.

Hermione fidgeted. "Um, well...you know how we were talking about flying..."

"Yeah?" he asked, a smile spreading across his handsome features. "What about it?"

"I was thinking," Hermione continued. "That maybe I should learn how to fly better. I mean, I am a witch..." She blushed, unable to look at him. This was a stupid idea.

"You want me to give you a few pointers?" Harry asked.

"Um," Hermione replied. "I suppose...yes, if it's not too much trouble..."

"I'd be happy to," Harry looked at her, his green eyes intense.

"Okay," Hermione said. "Thank you."

"We could start today," he said. "I was going to head out in an hour or so."

Hermione hadn't expected him to take her up on it so soon, but she did have some free time scheduled in for today. She looked at her watch. "It's nine now...so, I guess I'll meet you on the pitch at ten?"

Harry nodded. He wanted to find Neville to tell him to ask out Ginny before Malfoy could get to her. "I'll see you at ten."

Hermione studied him for a few moments. "I'll see you at ten."

"Looking forward to it," Harry grinned before hurrying off.

Hermione watched after him until he disappeared then headed back to the Great Hall to tell Ginny she could have her date. "What am I getting myself into?" she muttered.

Ginny was just finishing her breakfast when she spotted Hermione. "Hi..."

"Hi," Hermione sat down beside her. "You can have your date."

Ginny looked at her as if she hadn't heard her correctly. "What? You---you agreed to go with someone?"

Hermione sighed. "Yes..."

Ginny gave her friend a hug that would have made her mother proud. "Oh, Hermione! Thank you!"

"Ginny," Hermione choked out. "It's hard... to... breathe..."

"Sorry," Ginny said letting go. "So...who did you agree to go out with?"

Hermione blushed and mumbled something Ginny couldn't quite hear.

"Who?" Ginny asked.

"Harry Potter," Hermione said, still quietly.

Ginny beamed at her. "Oh, Hermione! I'm so happy for you!"

"It's not a big deal," Hermione shushed her. "I'm just doing it so you can go."

"You're going to have such a great time," Ginny said happily. "We both are. I can fix your makeup and do your hair, too, if you want."

"No," Hermione said flatly. "It's... only a date, because it has to be. You'll have fun, Ginny. Even if you are going with Malfoy."

Ginny smiled. "Thanks, Hermione. I really, really appreciate it!"

Hermione nodded. "Good luck."

Ginny looked across the room at the Slytherin table. "I'll be right back...I have to answer Draco's question..."

Hermione sighed as the redhead practically ran over to where the blond was holding court. "Hi Draco," she said with a big smile.

"Red," Draco said nodding at her.

"I think you want the loser table, Weasley," Pansy Parkinson said dismissively.

Draco shot Pansy a look as Ginny flushed. "Um... can I talk to you for a minute?" she asked.

"Sure," Draco said standing up. "Goyle, don't eat my food."

The Slytherin table laughed as Goyle spluttered. Draco smirked as he got up and walked away with Ginny.

"Um," Ginny said softly once they were alone. "I was thinking... you could ask me again if I wanted to go to Hogsmeade?"

"Okay," he said slowly. From what he'd seen this morning, Potter wasn't anywhere near to getting Granger to agree to a date. "You want to go to Hogsmeade with me?"

"I'd love to," Ginny answered with a broad smile.

Draco grinned. "Brilliant."

"I'm really excited," Ginny smiled up at him.

"You and me both," Draco said already planning on using one of his father's old connections. One of the shopkeepers he knew had a spare room upstairs from his store and given the right amount of money, Draco knew he could use the room. "Me too, Red."

Ginny impulsively gave him a hug.

Draco pulled her close. "You're going to have a day you'll never forget, Ginny."

"I hope so," Ginny said, her heart beating faster as his arms slid around her waist. She wished he could kiss her but she doubted that was possible.

"I told you I'd figure everything out," he said softly kissing the top of her head.

"I'm so glad you did," she whispered.

"I feel sorry for Potter having to put up with Granger for an afternoon," Draco said holding her close. "I never thought I'd say that."

"How did you know about that?" Ginny pulled back to look at him.

"I just figured that he was the only one she'd date," Draco covered. "I've seen her making eyes at him in our classes."

"She didn't seem too thrilled about it," Ginny replied thoughtfully. "But I guess it doesn't matter..."

"All that matters is us," Draco said squeezing her hand. "I'll catch up with you later, alright?"

"Okay," Ginny said, a thrill shooting through her as he kissed her cheek. "I'll see you later..."