Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Like About You by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Like About You

Amynoelle and Heaven

Some R/L stuff happens in this, as well as some N/G and a dose of H/Hr. You will see more of them in the next chapter.

The Hogwarts students used the last Hogsmeade weekend to get new dress robes and accessories for the Yule Ball. Neville and Ron hadn't seemed too keen on shopping so they'd left the two girls to go and grab a bite to eat.

Ginny led the way into Gladrags. She wished they could have gone to Diagon Alley since Madam Malkin's had a larger selection.

"You must be very excited about going with Neville," Luna commented as they went inside.

"I am," Ginny said dreamily.

"Neville's very nice," Luna added. "He's always been quite kind to me."

Ginny couldn't help smiling as she thought of him. She'd only wished that she'd noticed him sooner. Of course, with the pact, there probably wasn't anything she could have done. When she thought about the hours she'd wasted on that arrogant Malfoy, she made herself sick.

"I'm quite looking forward to going with Ronald," Luna began looking through a rack of dress robes. "It's always fun to go with a friend."

Ginny looked over at her friend. "Well, you do realise that you made his year when you said yes."

Luna only smiled. "Well I actually suggested it. I'm sure he only said yes because we're friends. I'm surprised he didn't ask someone like Lavender Brown to go with him."

Unbeknownst to the girls, Ron Weasley was hiding behind one of the racks hanging on every word they said. He was wishing he was closer so he could tell his sister to shut her mouth.

"Luna, trust me," Ginny said. "There's no one else he wanted to go with."

Luna laughed. "Oh come now, he could have gotten any girl he wanted."

"You honestly don't know?" Ginny asked taken aback. "Luna---"

"Shut up, Ginny," Ron said through clenched teeth. "Please shut up."

"Ronald and I have always been friends," Luna gazed at her friend. "In fact, I'm pretty sure he fancied Hermione Granger at some point this year. He seemed to want to ask her to the Ball, but then Harry asked her instead."

Ginny cackled. "Hermione Granger?"

"He seemed quite upset when Harry mentioned he was asking her out," Luna pulled a set of robes off the rack and examined them.

"That's because Ron and Hermione go together about as well as oil and water," Ginny explained. "Oh---those are pretty. You should try those on!"

"Perhaps I will," Luna agreed. "What about you?"

"I was thinking of maybe royal blue?" Ginny asked holding up a set. "What do you think?"

Ron sighed in relief. Maybe now they'd forget about talking about who he fancied.

"That would look nice," Luna said. "Or maybe light green?"

"Oooooh!" Ginny squealed. "I like those too!"

Luna looked through another rack and wondered what colour Ron would like her in. It was a random thought that made her smile.

Ron looked over at her and felt his heart melt.

"Maybe this light blue set will look nice?" Luna asked Ginny, pulling down a set. Unfortunately, it was the same hanger that Ron was using to steady himself while he hid.

He held on to the rack saying a silent prayer that she wouldn't see him.

His prayers went unheeded, however, as he pitched forward at their feet.

"Ronald?" Luna asked.

Ron wished he could disappear. "Oh, hi. Um..."

"What on earth are you doing back there?" Ginny asked.

"I dropped something?" Ron said lamely.

"In the ladies' section?" Ginny asked folding her arms. "I thought you were with Neville in the Three Broomsticks?"

"I came back because I dropped something," Ron answered quickly. "See?" he held up his money pouch.

"You wouldn't want to lose that," Luna said offering him her hand to help him to his feet.

"Thanks," Ron grinned at her, pleased to see her blush a little.

"I'm really glad you're here," Luna said softly.

"Y-you are?" Ron stammered.

"Of course," Luna said. "Do you like these?" she held up the light blue robes in her hand. "You were holding onto them, so I can just assume you wanted me to wear them."

Ginny covered her mouth so she wouldn't giggle. She couldn't believe Luna couldn't see right through her brother.

"I-I think you'd look gorgeous in them," Ron said truthfully.

"That settles it then," Luna said. "I don't even need to try them on."

Ron grinned. "I think you look gorgeous in everything you wear."

"That's very sweet of you," Luna blushed again as a warm tingly feeling spread across her stomach.

"Did you just leave Neville by himself?" Ginny asked.

"He was talking to Susan Bones when I came back here," Ron told his sister. "Why?"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "I don't think it's very nice to just leave him there!"

"He was fine," Ron shrugged. "Relax, will you?"

"Maybe you should get back," Luna told him. "We shouldn't be long here."

"Uh, okay." Ron agreed. "Meet up with you soon then?"

"Absolutely," Luna said smiling at him. "I really am glad you found your money."

"I'll buy you a butterbeer," Ron chanced a wink at her.

Luna smiled at him before returning her attention to an amused Ginny.

"He was really lucky that he found his money bag," Luna commented. "There are some dishonest people who would have taken it and run…"

Ginny looked thoughtfully at her. "Luna, Ron had his money bag the entire time."

"But I saw him pick it up," Luna said, shaking her head.

"My brother has it bad," Ginny said picking up another set of dress robes to try on.

"Has what bad?" Luna asked.

"You honestly don't see it?" Ginny asked.

"See what?" Luna was confused.

"My brother clearly fancies you," Ginny told her. "For the longest time, he wasn't able to string two words together around you. He spent the entire summer trying to work up the courage to ask you out."

Luna stared at her. "You mean he wants us to go out?"

Ginny nodded. "I probably shouldn't have said anything, but I think you two would make a lovely couple even if he can be annoying."

Luna looked at the robes in her arms thoughtfully. "I wonder why he just didn't tell me."

"He probably thought you only saw him as a friend," Ginny replied. "Look, I'm going to go and try these on. Are you sure you don't want to try those to make sure they fit?"

"I know they'll fit," Luna said softly.

"I'll just be a few minutes," Ginny promised.

"No rush," Luna looked after her friend.

She sat down on one of the sofas in the shop and tried to make sense of what Ginny had just told her. Ronald fancied her?

Looking back on it, it did seem rather obvious now. The way he always blushed and stammered around her- and the way he'd vehemently denied fancying other girls when she brought it up.

Truth be told, she hadn't ever thought of him in a romantic sense.

Until now, it seemed. She couldn't get the image of him out of her head.

He really was quite sweet and he always seemed to be looking out for her.

She was still pondering these thoughts when Ginny emerged from the dressing room. "I'm getting these," Ginny held out a set of pale yellow robes. "They look amazing with my hair."

"That's a pretty shade," Luna said admiring them.

"Thanks," Ginny said happily. "I bet Neville will love them on me."

"Let's go and pay for them and meet back up with the boys," Luna said getting to her feet.

"Right," Ginny said. "I'm starved!"

Ginny and Luna made their purchases and then set off for the pub. A smile broke out across Ginny's face as she saw Neville.

In a corner table, Blaise Zabini nudged Draco. "There's your girl, Malfoy."

"Whatever," Draco glared at him. "She's not worth it."

Blaise cackled. "Well doesn't seem as if Neville Longbottom feels that way..."

Draco turned just in time to see Ginny give Neville a kiss hello.

His eyes narrowed. "Why should I care? Obviously if she prefers that fat ass--"

"Over you," Blaise interjected in a smart-arse tone.

"I don't see you with anyone," Draco retorted.

"I'm taking Daphne Greengrass to the ball, aren't I?" Blaise shot back.

Draco smirked. "Scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit, aren't you?"

"At least she didn't pass me over for the likes of Neville Longbottom," Blaise retorted gleefully.

"I told her off," Draco said defensively. "She didn't pass me over. No girl could ever pass me over."

"Looks like that one has," Blaise said getting up to get a refill on his butterbeer.

"She didn't pass me up," Draco said angrily.

He turned to see Ginny laughing at something Neville had said.

Blaise smirked at him before heading to the bar. Draco fumed silently for a few moments, feeling as if he'd been made a huge fool of.

No one did that to him and got away with it.

He shoved back his chair and got up, stalking across the room. "Red," Draco stood in front of her. "A word?"

"I'm busy," Ginny replied icily.

"I'm not leaving until you talk to me," Draco folded his arms.

"Then you'll be waiting a long time," Ginny shot back.

Draco simply stared down at her.

"Why don't you just go talk to him?" Neville said quietly. "Otherwise we won't be able to enjoy ourselves. Get it over and done with..."

"I'll be right back," Ginny promised, giving Neville's hand a squeeze.

"What is it?" she asked coolly once they'd stepped outside.

"What the hell are you doing with him?" Draco demanded.

"Eating scones and drinking hot chocolate," Ginny said sarcastically.

"I thought you couldn't date," he snapped.

"You thought wrong," Ginny said making a move for the door, but he grabbed her arm. "Ow! You're hurting me!"

"You're going to the Ball with me," he said. "I'm not asking, I'm telling. I worked it out so you can go. So be ready and I'll meet you in the Hall that night."

"I'm not going with you!" Ginny retorted, squirming.

"I'll see you there ten minutes before the Ball starts," Draco let her go and stalked away before she could say anything else.

"Of all the arrogant, selfish----" Ginny muttered to herself. She couldn't believe his nerve!

"What's wrong?" Harry appeared behind her with Hermione. "Are you okay, Ginny?"

Ginny considered not telling them what had happened for a brief moment, but she was so angry she had to tell someone.

"Malfoy just ASSUMES I'm going to the ball with him!" she crossed her arms. "I told him no and he just said to meet him ten minutes beforehand. As if I'm there for his beck and call only!"

"Want me to say something to him?" Harry asked.

"No," Ginny shook her head. "I'm just going to go back inside to Neville."

Hermione wasn't surprised to hear what Malfoy had done. She shared a look with Harry. "He's impossible."

"I don't know what I ever saw in him," Ginny said angrily.

"Neither do I," Hermione muttered, thinking of her own experiences with the blond.

"Do you want to come and sit with us?" Ginny asked eager for a change in subject.

Harry looked at Hermione. "You up for it?"

"Sure," Hermione replied. "If you are---"

Harry nodded. "I could use a butterbeer."

"I'd love a hot chocolate," Hermione said. "It's really cold out here."

"Coming right up," Harry grinned at her. "I'll go get it for you."

"Thanks," Hermione said before following Ginny over to the table.

"Everything okay?" Neville asked Ginny.

Ginny only shook her head. "I'll tell you later," she said, sliding back in next to him. "Harry and Hermione are joining us."

"Hi Neville," Hermione nodded at him. "Luna... and Ron."

"Granger," Ron said quietly.

Hermione perched on the edge of the booth. "Um... so how's everyone doing?"

"Just fine," Luna replied. "Ginny and I just bought our dress robes. Have you purchased yours yet?"

Hermione shook her head. "I was going to pop by there later or just wear the set I have from before."

"Did you go to the last ball?" Ron asked. "I don't remember seeing you there."

"I um... I was going to go, but decided not to at the last minute," Hermione said.

"Why's that?" Ron asked.

"It's a long story," Hermione said quietly.

"None of that matters," Luna said trying to put Hermione at ease. "The important thing is you're going to this one."

Hermione nodded. "Right," she said.

At the counter, Harry was still waiting in the queue. Malfoy tapped him on his shoulder. "Potter."

"What is it?" Harry asked coolly. "I'm busy."

"With the Mudblood?" Malfoy asked.

"Don't call her that," Harry glared at him.

"Oh I'm sorry," Malfoy smirked.

"What do you want?" Harry asked impatiently.

"You and Granger certainly seem cosy," Malfoy commented.

Harry rolled his eyes. "What's your point?"

"Just making an observation," Malfoy said leaning against the counter. "It'd be a shame if she found out the truth."

Harry felt his blood run cold. "You'd better not say a word."

"You make sure Red shows up for our date and my lips will be sealed," Malfoy said.

"I'm not Ginny's keeper," Harry answered. "She does what she wants to do."

"And I'm going to do what I want to do," Malfoy said making a move in Hermione's direction.

"Nowhere in our deal did you say I had to make Ginny go out with you," Harry snapped. "I got Her-- Granger to go out with me and that's what I agreed to do."

"Let's see how she feels about that," Malfoy said. "Hermione!"

"Leave her alone," Harry grabbed Malfoy's arm.

Hermione heard him call out her name and she hurried over to see what he wanted.

"Hello, Granger," Malfoy said sweetly. "Don't you look lovely today?"

"What do you want Malfoy?" Hermione asked.

"Potter, should we tell her about our little project?" Malfoy asked looking at Harry.

"Hermione, how about we get out of here instead?" Harry asked.

"I thought we were going to stay for a bit..." Hermione looked in confusion at Harry.

"Yes, Harry, why do you want to go so soon?" Malfoy asked.

"Shove off Malfoy," Harry grabbed her hand. "Come on."

Hermione glared at Malfoy before allowing Harry to lead her out of the pub. "What was that about?"

"He's just a jerk," Harry muttered. "I can't stand being around him."

"That makes two of us," Hermione said. She figured Malfoy was probably making some snide remark about Harry's Quidditch skills. "So where did you want to go?"

"I don't know," Harry said. "If you still want hot chocolate, we could go to the Boar's Head... although I don't really want to know what they put in theirs. Maybe we should just go back to the castle. It'll be nice and quiet there."

"I was thinking I might need to get a new set of dress robes for the ball," Hermione said. "And this is the last chance..."

"You want to fight through that?" he joked, pointing towards Gladrags.

"Not really," Hermione said. "Well, I guess you'll just have to see in my old set."

"You looked gorgeous the first time," Harry said softly.

Hermione blushed. "Too bad I wasn't wearing them for you then. That night might have turned out better than it did."

"This Ball will turn out much better," Harry squeezed her hand. "I'll make sure of that."

Hermione hugged him tightly. "I know it will be."

"Come on," Harry said. "I bet we can get Dobby to make us some hot chocolate."

"And we can go up to my room and sit by the fire," Hermione said.

"I like that idea," Harry nuzzled her ear. "Come on."

"Okay," Hermione grinned.

Harry could hardly wait to keep his hands off her as he hurried them over to one of the carriages.

The moment the doors were shut and the carriage set off toward the castle, he took her in his arms and kissed her.

Hermione let out a muffled squeal but kissed him back, opening her mouth under his.

He was trying very, very hard not to push things, but when he was alone with her like this, he couldn't help himself.

She pushed him back onto the seat, running her hands through his messy hair. "You are so, so good at this," she whispered between kisses.

"So are you," Harry whispered.

She had often thought about what he said to her that night he spent in her room. Hermione wondered if her deepening feelings for him might be turning into love as well.

"Is everything okay?" he asked breathlessly. "Hmm?"

"Yes," she answered, kissing him again. "Right now, everything's perfect."

He felt a surge of guilt as he thought about how close he'd just come to having Malfoy destroy everything. There had to be some other way of keeping Hermione in the dark about that deal without helping Malfoy.

Meanwhile, back in Hogsmeade Ron and Luna were currently walking around together. "Are you sure you're not hungry?" he asked.

"Hmmm?" Luna asked absently.

"Are you all right?" Ron asked.

Luna looked at him. "Ronald, is there something you'd like to tell me?

"A--about what?" he stuttered.

Luna stopped walking. "About your feelings...."

"Feelings?" Ron's voice was suspiciously high pitched. He swore he'd kill his sister.

"I might have heard that you had feelings for me," Luna said trying to choose her words carefully. "And I just wanted to say---"

"Oh that!" Ron forced a loud laugh. "Well um... I might have used to have had a crush on you. You know, early on. No big deal."

Luna looked up at him. "But not anymore?"

"Of course not," Ron couldn't bear to hear that she only thought of him as a friend. "I promise, it was nothing. Really."

"Oh," Luna said trying to hide her disappointment. "Oh, well I guess that's good that we have everything out in the open."

Ron nodded. "We're good friends, right?"

"Yes, of course," Luna said. "Good friends."

He nodded as they headed back towards the main square. "So what do you want to do?"

"It doesn't matter," Luna said quietly.

"How about getting some sweets?" Ron asked.

"Sure," Luna said not feeling up to it.

"You like Sugar Quills don't you?" he asked. "I'll buy you a box."

"You don't have to," Luna replied.

"I want to," he held open the door. "It's the least I can do for... for a friend."

Luna forced a smile as she walked into the sweets shoppe. Ginny must have gotten it wrong.

"Here they are," Ron said, heading right over to the wall. "Do you want the big box?"

"Sure," Luna said. "That's----that's really sweet of you, Ronald."

Ron's face turned red as he nodded and smiled. "Well you know... anything for you."

"You're going to make some girl very, very happy," Luna said softly.

He wanted to say it was HER he wanted to make happy. But instead he nodded. "I hope so."

"I should get you something," Luna said looking around. "But you like everything..."

"I'm pretty easy to shop for," he smiled.

"How about one of the sample packs?" Luna asked. "They have a little bit of everything in there."

"You don't have to get me anything," Ron said.

Luna touched his arm. "I want to. You know since we're friends."

"Thanks," he said. "A sample pack would be nice."

Luna grabbed two of them and when Ron looked at her in surprise she nudged him. "You never can eat one of anything, Ronald."

"You know me too well then," Ron said with a more genuine grin.

"I'm also going to get some of these chocolates for my father," Luna said.

"He'll probably love that," Ron followed her.

"He loves them," Luna said grabbing a couple of bags.

He wanted to tell her that he loved her- that he didn't want to be just friends, but as usual chickened out.

"Is there anything else you wanted to get?" Luna asked.

"No thanks," Ron replied absently.

"We can pay for these and head back to the castle then," Luna said.

"Okay," Ron tucked the box of quills under his arm.

He knew that he'd dodged a bullet with Luna. The last thing he wanted was for her to tell him that she thought of him like a brother. This really was for the best.

He forced another smile on his face as he bought her quills. "There you go. Should last you until our next visit."

"And you should have enough to last you until tonight," Luna said setting her purchases down on the counter.

"You do know me too well," he laughed.

"Too well," Luna said grinning at him.

They left Honeydukes and headed for one of the carriages. Ron wasn't sure if he hoped they'd ride back together alone or with someone else.

Thankfully, they caught sight of Ginny and Neville and hurried to catch up to them.

"Can we ride back with you?" Luna asked as they approached.

"Um sure," Ginny replied. "The more the merrier."

She cast a disappointed look at Neville- they hoped to use the time alone for some quality snogging, but that could wait until they arrived at the castle.

Ron glared at his sister before climbing into the carriage.

"What was that look for?" she whispered once the four of them were settled inside.

"You not keeping your big mouth shut," Ron whispered back.

Ginny was baffled until she remembered her conversation with Luna at Gladrags. "What was so bad about me talking to her?"

"Because it's none of your business," Ron hissed

"Well I'm sorry," Ginny snapped back, settling down by Neville.

Neville put his arm around her. "Sibling rivalry?"

"You could say that," Ginny glared at her brother.

"So are you going to give me a hint?" Neville asked.

"A hint?" Ginny asked.

"Your dress robes," Neville said pulling her close.

"They're pretty," Ginny offered with a grin.

"That's a given," Neville said grinning back at her. "I can't wait to see you coming down the staircase..."

"And I can't wait to see you dressed up either." Ginny rested her head on his shoulder. She didn't care what Malfoy had said to her. She had her date to the ball.

"It's nice, isn't it?" Luna asked Ron. "Neville and Ginny."

"Sure," Ron answered a bit sullenly.

The carriage went over a bump in the road pushing Luna against Ron.

"Oops," she said sheepishly, not moving away. "Sorry."

"It's---its okay," Ron said softly.

Luna realised she didn't want to move away from Ron. His body was warm and they seemed to fit quite comfortably against each other.

To Ron, this seemed like pure torture. It was like dangling the thing you most wanted in front of you and then yanking it away just when you reached for it.

"I'm kind of tired," Luna lied. "Would it be all right if I just leaned against you like this until we get back to the castle?"

"Sure," Ron said without hesitation. "That'd be okay."

"Thank you," Luna smiled. Her hair fell over his shoulder and he breathed the scent in deeply.

Ron closed his eyes and wondered what it would be like to hold her like this whenever he wanted.

Ginny looked over at her brother. She had thought something had gone wrong when he looked so sour getting into the carriage but now he was holding Luna as if they were a couple. She resolved to talk to her friend as soon as possible to find out what was going on.

"You know while you were shopping, I did manage to pick up your Christmas present," Neville said in her ear.

"You got me a Christmas present?" Ginny asked. "Neville!"

Neville blushed. "Well, you are my---well, you're my----"

"Girlfriend?" Ginny asked softly.

He nodded. "If that's okay---"

"Yes," she answered with a grin. "It's very, very okay."

He leaned in and softly kissed her. Aside from Malfoy's interruption earlier, it had been a fantastic day.

"I'm so glad you fessed up," Ginny said when they'd pulled apart.

"Took me long enough," Neville said sheepishly.

"Took me long enough too," Ginny leaned against him again. "But at least we're together now."

"And nothing will change that," Neville said kissing the top of her head. "Nothing."