Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

Sorry….I know it's after Christmas but this story still has a X-mas theme. I'm a bit slow with the chapters! The Wassail song in this chapter was written by an unknown author…….

Jealous, the whole lot of the first and 2nd years were jealous of his good fortune. Alex couldn't help the small feeling of satisfaction as envious eyes followed him about the boys dormoitory while he put on his mittens and scarf. Edmund and Everett huffed and puffed about having to be stuck around Hogwarts all weekend. But not him. Oh no, not him. What stories he'd have to tell tonight!

Alex knew it wasn't right to feel so smug at their reactions. Grandma and Grandpa always told him that no one likes a braggart. When Alex received the broom from his father, it was immediately shrunk and put into his drawer. The last thing he wanted to do was make his cousins and friends feel bad that they too hadn't received such a fine gift. He must think of the less fortunate. That's what Alex Weasley had been taught.

Today he didn't quite care. Alex Weasley was going to Hogsmeade with his Mum and his Dad. They were going to be together just like a real family.

Buttoning up his cloak in his dormitory, Alex heard the familiar voice of Casey's older brother, William Wood, calling for him, "Alex your mum's here!"

Alex raced down the steps, taking them two at a time. What a sight! All eyes were on his mum. The whole common room was silent as they stared at the new Professor in their midst.

"Good morning everyone!" Ginny said to the shocked open mouthed students as she stepped through the portrait hole.

Only Casey , Edmund, and Everett managed to say hello back.

William Wood, one of the few 7th years that hadn't been suspended, turned positively glassy eyed as he stared at Alex's mum. "Professor Weasley is your mother?!" William said in amazement. "Think you can hook me up with some private flying lessons from your mum?"

Why in the world William Wood would want lessons from his mum was beyond Alex's comprehension. Flying lessons were for first years not someone who was already being recruited by Puddlemere United!

William's sisters, Casey and Leslie could only giggle. "He has a crush on your mum!" they both whispered in Alex's ear.

Alex could only wrinkle his nose at such a thought. Yuck. Truly disgusting. He had heard the older boys talk about his mother in ways that truly twisted his stomach. Only Professor Malfoy could think that, not anyone else! At the same time, the thought that others found his mum pretty filled him with pride. His mum was beautiful just like the picture he kept by his bed. She smiled a lot in the photograph, Alex wondered if maybe she would smile that way again. It was his favorite and now took on a more special meaning. Not only did the picture have his mum in the image but his father as well. Though it was too bad father frowned throughout the entire scene. Maybe, one day, they would have smiles for each other.

"How are you Alex?"

Alex shuffled his feet a bit at his mother's question. He didn't know why he was still so shy around his mum. She had spent practically the rest of yesterday evening talking to him. As far as Alex could tell, she was much cooler than anyone else's mum. They talked about Quidditch and their favorite team, the Canons. Chudley Canons all the way and not just because Uncle Harry and Uncle Ron were on the team. It was a Weasley tradition to root for the Canons. She even asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. A thousand things had raced through Alex's head. A zookeeper, he told his mum. Alex would open the first zoo for magical beasts, or maybe he would study muggle artifacts, or maybe he would play for the Canons. Not once did she laugh like Edmund or Everett.

"I'm fine…..mummy." Why did he have to sound like a little boy, not like the eleven going on twelve year old he was? "Could I, um……" Alex debated what he was about to do. Would it make his mum mad? But the possibility of his mum remembering his father erased his doubts. " Could I show you something?"

She put her hand in Alex's mittened one and was lead up the dormitory steps. Like the gentleman Grandma Molly taught him to be, Alex pulled out a chair, smoothing out the cushion. "Mum, Please have a seat."

"Why thank you!" she said taking a seat, "Hasn't changed a bit." He heard her say as his mother's eyes wandered, examining the boys dormitory."

There it was, his mum's picture prominently displayed on top of his bureau. Waving pictures of Grandma and Grandpa surrounded it on each side, reminding him that they were only an owl letter away should he ever become homesick.

Handing over the picture Alex crossed his fingers.

***

"You can keep it, if you like."

Ginny laughed recalling the day the picture was taken. One of the first Quidditch games of the season. Gryffindor vs. Slytherin and of course, The Gryffindor's won. With she, Ron and Harry on the team how could they not? The three of them were unbeatable on the field.

She remembered this particular game so well. Darkness had been rising outside the castle. The students at Hogwarts didn't have to hear about it, they could feel it. Dumbledore decided to keep the games going instead of canceling. For they were still children and it was important that the students have at least some sense of normalcy.

Ginny had the quaffle in her hands speeding towards the goal hoop. With mere seconds to go, she scored. The picture showed an overly excited Ginny leaping through the air. In the background was a sneering Draco Malfoy. What the picture didn't show were Malfoy's next actions. Ginny could picture the events as if they happened yesterday. Always the sore loser he reached out to pull her ponytail, but ended up getting tossed off his broom by Ginny's quick sideswipe. She chuckled at the happy memory.

"You like it then?"

Ginny nodded. How different and naïve they were back then. Harry, Ron and Ginny fought through that game with Slytherin as if the outcome would prevent a war. Not that they had to try hard. Half of the Slytherins hadn't returned to school that year. Most of the team were Slytherins who had never touched a quaffle save for Draco Malfoy. All in all it had been an easy game to win.

They thought they knew it all. War just showed Ginny what little she did know. Was it only two weeks after the picture was taken that war broke out? And just a few weeks later the young boy next to her had been conceived. Once again Ginny was reminded that her childhood had been cut short.

"Mum, is something wrong?"

Her face managed to form a smile as she tucked the picture into her cloak pocket, "Nothing's wrong. I'm just a bit worried we'll be late to Hogsmeade. I have a surprise for you when we get there!"

"I love surprises!"

What did eleven year olds like anyway? She had a mind to ask Hermione who unfortunately was not available. The headmistress decided to surprise her husband who was currently on tour with the Canons by showing up to one of his games. The only other person she could think of to ask was her own mum. In the end she chose to make her own decisions on the events of the day. One of the teachers had told her about a pre -Christmas brunch in Hogsmeade complete with singing carolers.They would even have a trained actor playing Father Christmas handing out toys. It sounded like it might be fun for her son, but now Ginny was beginning to think it was a mistake. Wasn't Alex a bit too old for such things? Goodness, I know nothing!

Did it really matter what they did as long as they were together? Ginny could only hope to provide Alex with a day to remember.

***

The snow kept falling as townspeople bustled about. Crowds of people busied themselves with Christmas shopping. Hogwarts students were busy throwing snowballs or stuffing themselves sick with sweets from Honeydukes.

A worried man standing apart from the crowd, stood outside of Madame Puddifoot's Tea Shoppe. He kept glancing at his pocketwatch and the road ahead. A half hour late. Had Ginny changed her mind and decided not to meet him? Alex would be disappointed. Draco was becoming disappointed and slightly agitated. Where were they!

"Professor Malfoy!" Draco turned around, instantly relieved to see Ginny and Alex making their way towards him.

"Our carriage got stuck in the snow and mum had to cast warming spells. Were you worried professor?"

Was he that obvious? Draco tried to straighten the worry line he was sure had been on his forehead a few moments earlier. "With a witch as capable as your mother, not at all."

She was beautiful as always, her red hair looking more vivid in a land blanketed by white and it was apparent that she was trying to be polite. Trying or pretending, Draco would take what he could get. "How do you do Professor Malfoy?" Ginny asked, her expression neither friendly nor adversarial.

"Fine and you?" There was an awkward pause as grey eyes met brown .She looked attractive even in her winter cloak and Draco wondered what she wore underneath it. Infected he was, and Draco didn't think he would ever be able to get Ginny Weasley out of his system. The only thing he wanted was for Ginny to remember. Draco was older and wiser now, far removed from the 18 year old he had been. Mistakes of the past would not be repeated, and Draco hoped he would be given the opportunity to prove it.

"I'm well thank you." He watched as Ginny took a step back to take in the new, at least to her eyes, Madame Puddifoot's tea shoppe. It had been remodeled after the war and was quite the popular restaurant in Hogsmeade. No longer was it the secret spot of trysting Hogwarts couples.

Draco hadn't been here in years himself. Six years ago to be exact. A run in with the Weasley's doing their annual Christmas shopping with a terrified Alex in tow made him long even more for their red headed daughter.

Draco had exchanged pleasantries with Molly and Arthur Weasley, mainly talking about the weather. Five year old Alex stayed hidden behind his grandmother's cloak.

"Hey you." Draco had said kneeling down next to the little boy. He reached into his bag offering a lollipop to Alex, who was presently peeping his brown eyes at the stranger when he thought Draco wasn't looking.

A small hand gladly took the lollipop, a smile finally erupting on his face.

"What do you say Alex when someone gives you a gift." Molly reminded him.

"Thank you." Alex looked up to his grandmother with questioning eyes. The boy didn't even know who he was.

"Say thank you Mr. Malfoy."

"Thank you Mr. Malfoy." Alex squeaked taking his grandmother's hands as they walked away from him yet again.

Draco stared at the Weasley family as they shopped down Diagon Alley, stopping in a few stores here and there. He followed them, being careful not to be noticed. Wishing all the while it was him that was taking his son for a stroll down Diagon Alley. It should have been Ginny and Draco with Alex between them. They would all hold hands as they made their way through the town. That's all Draco Malfoy wanted for Christmas.

But Draco Malfoy no longer got whatever he wanted. He had learned that long ago.

Alex must have been tired. Draco watched from afar as Arthur picked up Alex. What he didn't expect was a little wave from his son. Surprised, Draco waved back.

"The nice man is following us Grandma."

Draco wanted to find a hole to lie in. Molly turned around glaring at him. Draco was frozen to the spot as Alex jumped up and down in his grandfather's arms, continuing to wave, "Mr. Malfoy! Mr. Malfoy!"

The Weasley matriarch whispered something to her husband. With an overexcited Alex in his arms, Arthur slipped into a nearby store, disappearing from view. He felt a sinking sensation in his chest. Almost the same feeling he had whenever the snitch was within reach but unattainable.

"I see you Mr. Malfoy. Believe me, I can see you! " Draco was surprised when Molly Weasley appeared in front of him.

Before he could ask her what she was going on about, she withdrew her wand. In a poof she apparated.

He hadn't seen Alex the rest of the day. What drove him on perhaps was loneliness and a tad bit craziness. Draco searched each and every store, three times, four times, even five times just for a glimpse of his son. As the night sky slipped into view, Draco found himself nursing a few drinks in the Leaky Cauldron.

"Draco Malfoy?"

Red hair is what caught his eye. Not as vibrant as Ginny's . He wished for the woman to go away as he beckoned the bartender for another drink. Draco didn't want any reminders of Ginny or Alex. None at all.

But the woman didn't leave him be. Obviously they had both gone to Hogwarts together. Susan Bones was her name. Still he couldn't quite picture her. But her hair, gods he wanted to get lost in her red hair and scream for Ginny.

What he did surprised them both. He kissed her. What was the harm? Ginny was never coming back. Maybe he should start getting on with his life. Why not with another redhead? Susan had to attend a Christmas party but suggested they meet somewhere more private.

Draco in all his drunkenness suggested Madame Puddifoot's. They could relive being teenagers. The next day Draco found himself in a dark secluded corner involved in a heavy petting and snogging session with Susan Bones.

"Oh gods Ginny. I've missed you."

A splash of cold water met his face and Draco had never been so thankful that he had been dumped in his life. He had come so close to cheating on Ginny. So close. But he wouldn't, not with Alex in the picture. Draco apparated to her room later that evening when the healers and nurses had finished her nightly treatments. Draco knew the routine like clockwork. Taking off his invisibility cloak he slipped in between the sheets, cradling the mother of his son in his arms.

"I'm sorry Ginny. It won't happen again."

Draco made sure it didn't. Immersing himself in teaching DADA, coaching the Slytherin quidditch team and head of house duties assured him that time was very limited. Draco had made sure he had time today. No longer did he have to follow in secret his very own son. They were going to have breakfast like a normal family.

A talking sign with a picture of Father Christmas hung outside the door.

"Ho- Ho- Ho! Have Brunch with Father Christmas! Free gifts for children!"

Catching sight of a shivering Alex, Draco opened the door for both mother and son. "After you." he said stepping in after them.

Families with children much younger than Alex were crammed into the many tables that seemed to overflow the room. Red and white poinsettas were placed throughout the restaurant. The centerpieces on each table were small pine wreaths circling floating candles. A huge tree strung with with fairy lights and multicolored garland looked to be planted in the middle of the room.

A long line was already forming for the man in red and white. Draco wondered if perhaps Ginny had made a mistake. Alex was a bit too old for this Father Christmas nonsense. Nevertheless Draco had bit his tongue. Another argument with Ginny would not do, especially in front of Alex.

Draco could feel Alex fidgeting between them as they were seated in a small booth. "Dad." Alex whispered so that Ginny couldn't hear, "Do you want to sit next to my mum?"

Draco shot a quick look Ginny's way. As much as he wanted to, this day was mainly for mother and son. "No, you stay put Alex."

"Not for long….." Alex answered, and for the first time Draco saw his very own smirk grace the face of his son.

***

All reservations Ginny had about bringing Alex to Madame Puddifoot's were gone at Alex's excited expression. As the drinks appeared on their tables, mimosas for her and Draco and hot chocolate for Alex, the chorus of the carolers drifted their way.

"Let's sing along!" Alex exclaimed, a huge grin appearing on his face.

Ginny loved to sing and gladly joined Alex in singing O Christmas Tree while Draco Malfoy sat there looking ready to choke on his drink. A pretty amusing sight to Ginny. She tried to hold back her own laughter at Alex's further prodding.

"Professor Malfoy, you aren't singing!"

"I don't know the words."

An outright lie if Ginny ever heard one. Imagine that. Draco Malfoy was too scared to sing! What Alex wanted, Alex would get.

"Come now Malfoy. Try to be in the Christmas spirit by joining us in the next song."

"Weasley, I can't sing. Trust me, it would put a damper on the Christmas festivities. "

"You can't sing just like you couldn't play Quidditch!" she said hoping he sensed the challenge in her tone. Ginny didn't want to argue in front of Alex . But if Malfoy was going to accompany them today, he would do whatever Alex asked him to do. If Alex asked her to dance around in circles she would do it. Ginny expected nothing less from Malfoy.

As the Christmas carolers started the next song, another voice joined Ginny and Alex's in the Wassail Song. Alex grabbed on to Ginny and Draco's hands as the small chorus of three echoed throughout the room.

Here we come a-wassailing
Among the leaves so green,
Here we come a-wand'ring
So fair to be seen.
Love and joy come to you,
And to you your wassail, too,
And the Gods bless you, and send you
A Happy New Year,
And the Gods send you a Happy New Year.

Actually, Draco Malfoy had quite a nice voice. If she was being honest with herself, it was a voice she could find herself listening to all day. A fact that she would take with her to the grave. There would be no compliments for him.

"That was fun!" Alex said after another round of singing.

Ginny had to agree even sharing a smile with Malfoy over Alex's head. "Now it's time to eat, we can all do more singing after our bellies our full!"

Alex oohed and aahed as plate after plate of various foods were floated to their table. A warm winter fruit compote with a dollop of chocolate ice cream. was her son's favorite. She made a note that even in cold weather Alex loved ice cream . One day she would have to take him to Florean Fortescue's ice cream parlor. It seemed this particular dish was also Draco Malfoy's favorite as well. Both faces were practically drowning in their food. Boys and their tummies. How did her mum ever manage to feed all seven of them?

As soon as the plates were cleared from the table. Alex started to sing again. Ginny joined in, poking Malfoy in the ribs with her wand when he didn't sing immediately. He feigned injury, clutching at his chest mockingly. "You nearly killed me Weasley."

Ginny could only roll her eyes. "Bat Bogey Hex!" she mouthed causing Draco's booming voice to bring all eyes to their table and send Alex into a fit of giggles.

Out of nowhere, a flash exploded in their faces. Ginny blinked, focusing on a houself dressed in green and red who lowered a camera grinning from ear to ear at Draco. "Nice looking family you have there sir! It will be 10 galleons for the Christmas memory."

The elf winked slyly at Ginny, waving the happy faces of her, Alex and Draco in the air.

TBC

Alex asks Santa for his wish and…………….Draco and Ginny kiss(next chap-promise!!!!!).