Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

I know I said that in this chapter Draco and Ginny would meet but I wrote it and it felt rushed, so it is now in the next chapter….PROMISE! CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE! This is basically the setup for the next chapter.

Alex wiped the last of his tears away wishing he knew a girly spell that would get rid of the redness under his eyes. Staring at the portrait of the fat lady he wondered whether he shouldn't just turn around and hide. Without a doubt Edmund and Everett would be in the common room ready to pounce on him. Deep in decision making Alex didn't hear small footsteps ascending the stairs behind him.

"Alex?"

Great, just great. Casey Wood with her blabbering mouth would tell everyone what a crybaby he was, proving Zabini right in every way. He would be the laughingstock of the Gryffindor common room.

"Are you ok?"

Alex snapped back taking Casey Wood by surprise, "Does it look like I'm ok!?" he said trying to sound mean but came out anything but, between his sniffles and his runny nose.

Alex had never been known to raise his voice at anyone or yell. Grandma Molly had always said he was a sensitive boy, attune to the needs of others. "Just like your mummy". The mummy who hated him and wished he didn't exist. Right this very instant in front of Casey Wood, Alex wished he was never born. The words he meant for his father were directed at the black haired girl in front of him. It was his father's fault his mum suffered. His fault his mum couldn't stand the sight of him.

"I hate you! Get away from me!" He immediately regretted his slip of the tongue as her face fell. Alex didn't like seeing people hurt, not his family, nor his friends.

Expecting Casey to run past him into the common room she just stood there, whispering, "You don't mean that."

Alex was never good at lying, not like his cousins. "No. You're my friend." he answered back softly. "But….c-could you leave me alone for a bit. I need to be alone." He needed time to think, away from Casey, his cousins and everyone else. There was something he needed to do and he wouldn't rest until he did it.

Casey smiled shyly at him. "If you want to talk Alex, my ears are available to listen."

Alex nodded knowing that he would never tell Casey what he felt, though it was quite apparent on his face. The new knowledge he possessed about his father would have to be kept inside. He would deal with that on his own. Casey Wood with her two loving parents would never understand. Her father was none other than famous Oliver Wood captain of the Chudley Canons and her mum was Cho Chang-Wood seeker for the Falmouth Falcons. Would he really want her to know that the rumors about his Deatheater father were true? She would probably never want to be his friend again.

"I want to give you something that will make you feel loads better!" Now Casey was looking at him as if he had something weird on his face.

He hoped his nose wasn't still running. "What?" he asked her becoming very unnerved by her attention and feeling quite sure there was nothing that would make this day any better. Did his face turn blue? Was his hair sticking up. Under the trying circumstances of today he thought it would be pretty normal. "What!?" he repeated.

Instead of answering, a pair of lips brushed his own, causing him to fall against the wall. Goodness, what was she trying to do? Yuck. She was trying to stick her tongue inside. Gross, just gross. "What are you doing! Stop!" he managed to say flailing his arms wildly.

Casey just stood up crossing her arms, " I saw my older sister do that. Her boyfriend seemed to like it, a lot in fact."

"Well, I'm not your boyfriend!" Alex brushed the dust from his robes and wiped the glittery lipstick he was sure was all over his face. Since when did Casey start wearing lipstick? Where was his old friend and who was this stranger?

Flinging her long black hair back, she only smiled at him , "No you're not my boyfriend…..but you will be."

Before Alex could protest Casey planted another kiss on his cheek before running past him into the common room. Alex could only sware under his breath, words he was sure his Grandma Molly would wash his mouth out with soap for.

"What's gotten into her?" Alex said to himself, blushing red when he heard his cousins climbing the stairs. All this time he had thought they were in the common room. Had they seen everything? Sweet Merlin, Alex hoped not.

But indeed they had.

"Alex has a girlfriend!! Alex has a girlfriend!!"

The rest of the night Alex fought off his cousins constant teasing about Casey Wood. Soon all of Gryffindor was harassing him. Alex did feel a tad ticked off at the commotion Casey had caused, but a small part of him was thankful. For a moment he didn't have to think about the mother who didn't want him and the cruel man who had made him.

***

Sleep had not come to Draco. He had flown past St.Mungo's during the night wondering if he should just stop by and wish her well. What could he say? The fact that she couldn't remember what was so pivotal to him, to her and to their little boy changed everything.

Draco wasn't supposed to fall in love with her, but he had. The enemy, a prisoner and he had fallen so deep he didn't know if he could ever find his way out. Didn't know if he wanted to. In just those six weeks he had loved more and been loved more in return than in years that led up to that point. Of course that was how he felt until he saw Alex that first time in Diagon Alley. After Ginny was gone he felt his heart grow colder. Locked up in the depths of Azkaban prison with the knowledge that he hadn't done enough to protect Ginny, he refused himself to feel anything. All Alex had to do was grasp his fingers with his tiny hands and Draco's heart started to beat again.

Twelve years hadn't changed how much he loved the redhead that was now crying alone in her room. He hovered outside her window, thankful for the invisibility cloak that allowed him to be near her. What he wanted to do was toss the cloak and take her in his arms and tell her how much he loved her. With much hope he had bought a diamond ring even after the news Molly delivered that threatened to shatter him. He was a Malfoy, she would remember and she would say yes. How could she not? Looking at her sad face, doubt built within Draco. It wouldn't be the first time things hadn't gone his way. Had it ever really?

Draco Malfoy always gets what he wants. That was his mantra he would repeat over and over until he believed it, even if it was lie. War had changed everything, causing the former deatheater to sort out the truths and untruths.

Never did he get the snitch. Right before him but always out of his grasp. Just like his son and just like the redheaded beauty he was viewing before him.

Ginny immediately locked eyes with his as she struggled to bring herself to her feet. Draco's breath caught. Did she know he was out there? With much effort she walked towards the open window shutting it with a forceful thud.

Once again he was on the outside looking in.

"Professor?"

Draco looked up to see a hand waving wildly in the air, "Yes Miss Crabbe?" Draco rolled his eyes at the student who loved nothing more than to get others in trouble. Marigold Crabbe may have thought this endeared her to the Professor but it had quite the opposite effect. He wondered what student she would tattle on next.

"Alex Weasley's late Professor."

At that moment the young blonde boy sauntered in the classroom, with broom in hand not bothering to apologize for his lateness. He slid into his seat turning surprisingly cold eyes towards his Professor.

Everyone seemed to be on the edge of their seat. Would Professor Malfoy take points away from his favorite student? A couple of sighs and mutterings of "Teacher's pet" met Draco's response.

"We'll talk about this after class Mr. Weasley." He wasn't about to punish his son. This was not like Alex. He was never late. Usually Alex was the earliest to arrive, helping him prepare the days lessons. Apparently the visit with Ginny hadn't gone well. Draco couldn't imagine what it was like for mother and son to meet after such a long time apart. What he did hope to do was give Alex a few comforting words, and at the same time learn more about Ginny's condition.

He didn't expect Alex to talk back, "I don't think so Professor."

The Gryffindors were in shock at Alex Weasley's behavior, snapping at him to be quiet or they would lose precious house points. The Slytherins's on the other hand were speechless. Surely points would be taken away, teacher's pet or not.

"Excuse me?" Draco shook his head not knowing if he had heard correctly. This boy who looked up to him, who would come to him with problems was not the same boy who sat in his class now.

"I think you heard me correctly the first time Deatheater Malfoy."

Draco had heard the students whisper Deatheater behind his back. Even heard the staff say it when they didn't think he was listening. The name reminded him of all the mistakes he had made in the past, and the lives that were ruined for an ideal that never really existed. Not once did he think it would come out of the mouth of his own son.

The class was now hushed as Draco rose from his desk with black robes billowing behind him. Draco refused to be upset, not even if Alex reminded him of the very reason he couldn't be with him or his mother.

"Everyone except for Alex Weasley, please leave the class." He said stopping at his son's desk.

When no one moved, he repeated his command so forcefully it was only a matter of seconds before the room was cleared, "LEAVE MY CLASS NOW!" he roared. The scurried feet of the first year's obeyed, happy that they were not on the end of Professor Malfoy's wrath.

Alex now looked at him with fear in his eyes. The look Draco must have given Lucius many times before. He didn't want Alex to be scared of him as he was with his own father. Draco took a seat beside Alex wanting to be eye level with his son.

"What's the matter Alex?" he asked softly at the boy who was staring intently at a spot on the floor.

"Did you kill people Professor?" Alex said quickly, looking everywhere but at Draco.

The question had taken him aback, there was no proper answer he could give the boy. Not one he wanted him to hear. Being young and at war made one do things that would only lead to regret. Not one day went by that he didn't think about the bad choices he made. "What's this about?"

Abruptly Alex stood, knocking his desk to the ground . Flinging his broom at the Professor and shoving his book to the ground he yelled, "I DON"T WANT YOUR BLOODY BROOM AND I DON't WANT YOUR STUPID BOOK!"

"B-but these are gifts." Draco sat there frozen holding his son's broom and book. "I want you to have them."

"I don't want anything of yours, ever!" Alex ran to the doorway, stopping and slowly turning around. Narrowing his eyes at the Professor he asked him, "Aren't you going to take points away?"

Draco wasn't thinking of anything else except for the anger he felt coming from Alex directed solely at him. He could stand to have hateful looks thrust upon him from others, but not his own son. He might not have Ginny' s love but he could pretend to have Alex's.

Draco said nothing only clutching the broom tighter wondering how something so good could end so badly. Ginny was awake. Everything he had hoped for was going to come true. They were going to be a family.

"No, I'm not. J-just tell me what has gotten into you young man!" Draco stammered.

Alex's next statement only confused him more, "Then it's true."

"What's true?"

Draco always knew the power that words held over others. He had wielded his skill above others when he was a student at Hogwarts. Draco knew the exact words that would hurt the spirit. How often did he make Granger cry or been on the receiving end of Potter's and Weasley's wands? Too many times to count. But this time he understood how wounded they must have felt.

"I hate you! I hate you!"

Three simple words that cut into Draco Malfoy's soul.

***

Ginny stared at the room in awe. She ran her hands over the pink walls, posters of her favorite group- the Weird Sisters, the lace curtains, the afghan her mum had knitted. Everything had stayed the same as if suspended in time. Ginny's mum hadn't changed the room since the war, keeping it in the same condition as it had been 12 long years ago. Ginny took out her suitcase and started unpacking. This was a teenagers' room not a grown woman's. She lay back on the bed with a bit of sadness thinking about all she had missed.

"Alex would come in here often." Molly's voice interrupted her thoughts. Ginny was glad for the intrusion. The past 3 weeks she had done nothing but feel sorry for herself which was getting her nowhere. Hermione's offer of a job as flying instructor at Hogwarts piqued her interest. She knew Hermione had her own reason's for wanting Ginny to accept the position. It would be the opportunity for Ginny to get to know her son and try to be the mother Alex deserved. As of right now, she was far from ready.

Ginny's mum handed her a small book that Ginny looked at quizzically. "What's this?"

Molly said nothing only sitting next to Ginny on the bed as she let the magic of pictures draw Ginny out of her slump. It was high time her daughter stopped moping about.

Ginny's breath caught in her throat at the first picture of newborn Alex. He was beautiful despite his red face and wrinkles. "He's beautiful." She whispered.

"He didn't want to come out at all. The mediwizard had to take him out of you." Molly said as she turned the page. Molly had placed Alex in a sleeping Ginny's arms. "I thought you two should bond."

Ginny's eyes were bordered with tears of happiness and sadness. She laughed at her struggling brothers trying to give Alex a bath. Hermione trying to change his diaper was a sight to behold. Smart with the books, but diapers were another matter entirely.

Ginny rolled her eyes at the broom Harry had given Alex for his first birthday. He was much too young for such a gift. A few more pictures showed Arthur taking him to a muggle zoo. Nothing but smiles as he rode a camel. Ginny was nothing but laughs when the next picture showed Alex begging his grandpa for a pet, a camel to be specific. There were even some pictures from Hogwarts. "I'm a Gryffindor!" The excited boy said jumping up and down. Talking to the person holding the camera, Alex added, "I told you I wouldn't be in Hufflepuff Edmund!"

Suddenly Ginny's hands stopped at the picture of Alex with a familiar looking face next to him. A face she connected with memories of a diary that still haunted her, hurtful taunts and of a Deatheater the Order was trying to capture.Ginny's fingers shook, removing the picture from it's protective cover.

"What is he doing with Alex?!" Ginny didn't notice the small grin that appeared on Molly Weasley's face at the note of her daughter's concern.

"Alex won a DADA competion for the first years. I think that's…um…Professor Malfoy giving him a medal for his work."

A goddamn Deatheater was teaching Alex. After all they had suffered under Voldemort, how in the world was a Deatheater allowed to teach children? Memories of Percy and Charlie would not die. She knew exactly where Draco Malfoy stood in the war and it had been on the losing side. His people had killed her brothers. Perhaps he himself had taken part. It was an atrocity, an outrage.

"I need to talk to Ron and Harry." Ginny stated more so to herself than to her mother. She had to find out why a monster such as Draco Malfoy was not currently locked up in Azkaban. If it had been up to Ginny, Draco Malfoy would most certainly be given the dementor's kiss without any hesitation.

Ginny raced out of the room half expecting her mother to call out for her and ask what was wrong. But she didn't. Perhaps she already knew how upset she was. The Deatheaters had hurt her family once before. The same mistake would not be repeated. Grabbing a piece of parchment and quill from her father's study, Ginny knew what she had to do.

Nov 22

Mrs. Hermione Potter
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizadry,

Dear Mrs. Potter,

I am pleased to confirm my acceptance of your job offer for the position of Flying Instructor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizadry.

I am very pleased to have been considered for this position and feel confident that I will make a significant contribution to Hogwarts and to its students.

I would like to thank you sincerely for this opportunity.

Best Regards,

Virginia Weasley

To be continued….Draco and Ginny meet as promised!