Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

"You were six weeks pregnant when we found you Ginny. Alex Weasley is your son."

A heaviness centered in Ginny's chest. Her thoughts jagged and painful. It can't be true! It can't be true!

At seventeen the whole world was laid out before her for the taking . Plans and goals were within reach. Though war loomed on the horizon, Ginny secretly yearned to visit the pyramids, the ancient Mayan Temples and the Great Wall of China. Maybe once the war was over she'd even fly by muggle transport. A secret ambition was to one day play for the Chudley Cannons. Everything was mapped out perfectly. With Harry Potter on their side, Voldemort would soon be defeated and life would go on.

Only it had all gone on without her, within her.

"How?" her voice shook asking the question but not wanting the answer. There hadn't been anyone. A virgin was what she had been. Saving herself for that day when she would find her true love. A seventeen year old girl's silly ideal.

"W-why can't I remember?" Ginny stammered, furious for all that had been taken away from her, angry for all the goals that would never reach fruition.

Ron nodded to Harry as if giving him permission to proceed "The mediwizard said it's normal after going through traumatic events to have memory loss."

Images of Datheaters giving chase were the only things her mind wouldn't let her forget. The memories of the night still haunted her. What could possibly have been more frightening than those ghastly nightmares? What was her mind trying to save her from?

Hermione whispered something inaudible to Ginny's ears. Uneasiness filled her watching the rest of her family leave the room save for Harry, Hermione and Ron. Nothing good could come of what was about to be said.

The trio looked at each other not really knowing where to begin. Hermione cleared her throat as she pulled up a chair next to Ginny's bed. "We have….." Hermione paused looking at Ron and her husband Harry for support. "….. theories Ginny."

"Just tell me the truth Hermione! How in the hell did I end up a mother to an 11 year old boy when I have never slept with a man? Tell me!"

Hermione looked a bit taken aback at Ginny's tone of voice but continued twisting her hands in nervousness, "There were other prisoners they took Gin. Hundreds of wizards and muggles. One theory we have is that you were lonely and possibly had a relationship with another prisoner. But don't worry Gin, we would never judge you. Never."

Ginny shook her head, rubbing her forehead furiously. They actually looked hopeful and it made her sick. Was this the only scenario they were able to make up and live with? No matter how lonely Ginny was, she knew in her heart that she would never throw herself at any man.

"Do you really think I would do something like that?! " she spat bristling with indignation.

"It was a difficult time……" Harry struggled to find the right words but was cut off by Ginny

"What's the other theory Dammit?!" She threw the covers to the hospital floor. It took every ounce of strength to push herself off the bed. She struggled with her emaciated legs willing herself to stand face to face with her brother. A brother that was never able to keep secrets from her.

Ron's eyes watered as his gaze met Ginny's. "I'm sorry I didn't come for you in time Ginny. I'm so sorry I failed you."

"Please Ron, tell me." Ginny asked softly needing to know the truth, no matter how hard.

Ron's voice cracked as he covered his face with his hand, "Dean and Padma told me what happened. They were imprisoned with you during the last six weeks of the war. I didn't want to believe what was said. But they saw with their own eyes. If I had been there Ginny I could have protected you."

Now it was Ginny who was urging her brother to sit down as Harry and Hermione looked on. "Ron, I have to know." She pleaded with him.

"A god damn Deatheater would come and take you away every night Ginny. He raped you. That sodding bastard raped you." he said pounding a fist into a nearby table.

Wasn't this what she suspected all along? But to have it said, to face the ugliness of it head on was something she was not ready to do. Ginny wrapped her arms around herself as the terrifying realization washed over her.

Her innocence had been taken by a faceless monster. A demon dressed in black who used her body and impregnated her with a child she did not want. Waves of nausea hit Ginny as her knees buckled beneath her. Ginny fell to the floor sobbing. Screaming at Ron, Harry and Hermione who tried to help her to her feet., "Just leave me alone! Leave me alone!"

Trembling on the cold hospital floor she wept. Twelve years worth of tears were being shed for her dead brothers, goals she would never accomplish, for what could have been, and for the love she didn't know she could give to a little boy.

***

He had left his 7th year DADA assistant in charge. A part of him felt a tad bit uneasy leaving his students in the care of a rather inept teacher. But certain things were more important. Headmistress Potter could fire him for all he cared. Not that she dared. Was he not the best Dada Professor in the Wizarding world? It would take her years to find someone as qualified and experienced as Draco Malfoy.

Too long he had waited and nothing would stop him He was going to see Ginny or all the Weasley's be damned! Except for his son of course, who was only half Weasley. In his opinion Alex was the best of the entire bunch.

Walking along Diagon Alley and peering through the many shop windows, Draco wondered what one bought for a person they hadn't seen in twelve years. Awake that is. Many times he would apparate right into her room at St. Mungo's. It wasn't allowed but laws had never prevented him from doing anything before. Why should it prevent him from seeing Ginny? Was he not a master of the dark arts? Surely one could use the knowledge for the greater good.

Draco sat beside the sleeping redhead trapped in a world of dreams and nightmares. Bathed in moonlight she was absolutely breathtaking. He could stay here forever watching the familiar rise and fall of her chest and listen to her soft breathing.

"No!" she screamed "Help me!" Ginny twisted and turned violently battling the demons inside her head. Her hands reaching out for help.

"Ssh" Draco had whispered, taking her hand in his, "Ssh Ginny, I'm here. I won't let anyone hurt you." he said hoping that somehow his attempts to comfort her were not in vain. He slid beside her in the hospital bed, holding Ginny with her back to his chest, playing with her fiery hair as he, planted soft kisses along her neck…..hoping, always hoping that like the fairytale she would open her eyes

He twined his hand with hers, pretending that she indeed was awake. The talks they had. were almost always about Alex.

"Imagine that Ginny. Our son's only eleven but he knows how to conjure a Patronus. He's much smarter than that mudblood Granger we went to Hogwarts with and puts all the Ravenclaws to shame. Well, Granger married scarhead but you probably heard. Even she agrees. Headmistress wanted to move him up 2 grades! Your parents wouldn't allow it, spouting some nonsense about wanting Alex to stay with his friends. Almost forgot to tell you, bought him a broom Ginny. I hope you don't mind. You should have seen Alex when I had it owled to him. I've never seen so many jealous faces in my life. It was quite wonderful. Harry Potter better watch out, all his quidditch records are about to be broken!

Ginny had turned over just then, subconsciously burrowing her head into Draco's chest while her leg tangled with his. Placing a kiss atop her forehead he pulled her closer to him. "Awaken my sleeping beauty." For twelve years he whispered his only wish, "Awaken"

Diamonds? Candies? He had twelve years worth of presents to buy and not a clue as to where to start. Making his way down the crowded streets he was distracted momentarily by the display window of Flourish & Botts. Alex had mentioned his grandparents had refused to buy him THE MONSTER BOOK OF MONSTERS. Not a book he himself would recommend for an 11 year old but if that's what Alex wanted, by Merlin, that's exactly what his son was going to get.

Exiting the store with package in hand he proceeded to Fairy Flowers buying a simple arrangement of red and white roses. Handing over his galleons, he gave the shopkeeper strict instructions to have the flowers owled immediately. So busy was Draco with the transaction that he didn't hear the flying store fairy announce another customer had entered.

"Professor Malfoy?"

Draco spun around, his stern countenance immediately replaced with a smile at the young boy currently licking a blood flavored lollipop in front of him.

"Those are pretty flowers Professor . Are they for your girlfriend?" he asked inquisitively as the flowers Draco had bought were being wrapped in paper and tied with the most expensive bow Draco was able to find.

"You could say that." Draco didn't say much more. After tonight he could finally tell Ginny how much he loved her. Something he regretted not having told her for all these long years. But he had been young and foolish at the time. No longer. Tonight he would make things right. Everything would fall into place as it should have long ago.

Kneeling down to his son's eye level he reached into his bag handing Alex the book he had just purchased.

"WOW! Thanks Professor!" Draco couldn't help chuckling at the boy's enthusiastic response. Very soon, everyone would know Alex was his son. No one would dare call Alex Malfoy a bastard again.

"There you are!" Molly exclaimed as she rushed into the store towards Alex unaware of the tall man directly behind her grandson. "How many times have I told you not to wander off! Grandpa is worried sick!"

"I wanted to buy Mum flowers." he said reaching into his cloak for the money he had made working at his Uncle's Joke shop during the summer.

Patting his head, her expression softened. "Your Mummy would like that very much."

Draco watched both with a tinge of regret thinking about his own mother. Filled with much misplaced pride she had missed out on much. Her grandson was one of them.

Alex picked a collection of tulips mimicking his professor's color choice, "Red and white please." He said politely removing his lollipop as he talked.

That very instant Molly caught sight of the book she had expressly forbid Alex to buy. "What is this young man?" she asked grabbing the book and dropping it immediately when it tried to bite her.

"Be careful Grandma." Alex answered carefully picking up the book by its binding and dropping it into his school bag, "Professor Malfoy gave it to me."

Draco had hoped to slip out of the store unnoticed by the matriarch of the Weasley family. He was in no mood to get into an argument with the fiery woman.

Molly Weasley clicked her tongue and Draco could tell it did not bode well for him. "What's the meaning of this Mr. Malfoy?" a suggestion of annoyance hovered in her eyes.

Draco smoothed back his blonde hair trying to come up with a suitable answer. He had already used the good grades excuse for the broom. Draco couldn't very well tell her that Alex was his son and he could buy the boy whatever he damn well pleased, at least not yet.

"I hope you don't mind Mrs. Weasley. It's a celebratory gift of sorts. I hear your daughter Ginny has recovered."

"I- uh, yes, yes she is back with us. Still it will be a long road to recovery. We Weasley's will be there with her every step of the way." Molly said looking from Draco to Alex then back to Draco.

Draco paled at hearing this new information about Ginny, What was wrong? "She's alright isn't she?" try as he might, Draco couldn't rid himself of the icy fear that coursed through him. Was there something wrong with her health. Had she survived twelve years in a coma only to emerge on death's doorstep?

"Maybe it's for the best…..." Molly said stealing an affectionate look at Alex who was currently looking out the window entranced by jugglers and fire eaters.

What's for the best? Draco tried not to seem too eager to hear the news about Ginny, concentrating on looking as nonchalant as possible.

Keeping her gaze firmly affixed on her grandson she continued, "Beauty can emerge from the most unlikely places"

Molly sighed deeply as she repeated, "Maybe it's for the best."

Draco was about to shake the woman, no matter that she was his child's grandmother. Would she ever answer his question?

"She doesn't remember the war Mr. Malfoy."

Draco could feel his face fall as he looked away pretending to look at another floral arrangement. "I'm sorry to hear that. Truly sorry" He kept his grey eyes fixed on the violets in front of him, trying to steady his now shaking hands . Draco willed himself not to look at Alex for fear he might finally break.

Molly's voice kept echoing in his ear, "She doesn't remember the war Mr. Malfoy."

Which means she doesn't remember me.

To be continued