Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

"All rise for Head Judge Wizard, Merlin Thackett. The Wizengamot is now in session!" The Auror bellowed to the packed room that was overflowing with jurors, witnesses and spectators.

Head Judge Merlin Thackett took his seat on the bench with the other junior judges of the wizarding court. "Witches and Wizards of the jury, have you reached a decision?"

A young blue haired woman in a Hungarian horntail skin jacket and a Diricawl feathered skirt stood up. "Yes, your Honor, we have."

" Please hand the Auror your decision." The Auror took the sealed scroll and handed it to the head judge.

Merlin Thackett reached into his robe pocket for his spectacles. The courtroom became even more silent. He opened the scroll with the decision that could free Draco Malfoy or send him to Azkaban for life.

The Head Judge looked at the bench in front of him. "Would the accused, please rise?"

Draco shook as he stood, his hands in front of him still magically bound. He looked around for Ginny, who had pushed her way to the front of the crowd. She stood there with the witnesses who had spoken for him. He thought no one would come. But they all came. Cho Chang. Dean Thomas, the whole lot. Former enemies who might suffer for defending him later, came to tell the world that Draco had saved them from certain death.

Merlin Thackett coughed to clear his throat before announcing the verdict, "We the jury find Draco Malfoy 'Not Guilty.'"

The Head judge thanked the rest of the Wizengamot and the jurors before turning to the Auror,. "This wizard is released from custody and is free to go."

Draco stood in shock, his hands finally free of the magical bonds. He searched again for Ginny in the courtroom. She had testified for him. Her memory coming back, her recollections of the escapes they planned for prisoners. The suspicions the guards had of a traitor in their midst when Avery went missing.

Draco recalled how he was sure they would point him out. Avery and his prisoner, the Chang girl, vanished out of thin air. Draco had been sure Snape would turn him over. It never happened. Soon Snape would reveal to Draco that he was not alone in sabotaging the Death Eaters.

Twelve years later, it seemed the Death Eaters were still sabotaging his life. But now, it really was over.

Or was it?

He couldn't see Ginny but heard her scream his name, "DRACO!"

The crowd was swarming around him pulling at his robes from every direction. A chant could be heard from outside of the courtroom to bring them the head of Draco Malfoy.

The judge seeing the hands shooting out for Malfoy from the crowd,turned to the Auror, "Bring him to my chambers!"

Draco was being hurried out of the room surrounded by Aurors. "I thought I was free!"

He was unceremoniously trhown into the room, Potter and Ron Weasley right behind him.

"For your safety Malfoy. The crowd doesn't like the verdict."

"Where's?....."

He didn't have to complete the sentence. She was here, pushing past Harry and Ron and fell into his arms.

"Oh Ginny." was all he could say."I'm ok, I'm ok."

He put his face down into her hair, not particularly caring if Potter and Weasley saw him become an emotional wreck.

The Wizengamot had found him not guilty, why then did he feel this sense of doom? "

"Malfoy," Ron handed him some firewhiskey from a decanter in his robe and handed it to Draco, "Drink this, it will help a bit. You may need it when I tell you what your not guilty verdict means."

"I know." Draco said still holding on to Ginny. "The verdict means nothing to the people on the street. No dementor's kiss but they want me dead."

"The war is still fresh in everyone's memory. The people won't let you forget. We've arranged for you to leave the continent. Pansy Friedman and her family have offered a vacation home in South America for you…" Ron paused unable to finish.

Draco shook his head. "I'm not going to the bloody Americas! I won't go. I won't leave my son. I won't leave Ginny. I will not leave them"

"We are coming with you Draco, Alex and I." Ginny said softly. "It's not safe for him either."

Draco brought his arms to Ginny's shoulders, looking directly into her brown eyes, "No! I won't have you uproot his life for me! I'll go, you and Alex stay here."

Harry handed Draco the latest edition of the Daily Prophet, "You need to see this. You need to understand the danger."

The headline shouted -

Hogsmeade readies for Blood Debt Repayment

The picture accompanying the article showed thousands of people around two lifelike figures. There was no mistaking, the crowd would not be satisfied with one Malfoy. They wanted every Malfoy dead.

Draco let the paper flutter to the ground, swallowing a tight knot of dread,"What do I have to do?"

Ron wouldn't give him an answer, he stole a look at Ginny and turned around. Draco knew the Weasley's were close. After all this time that Ginny spent apart from her family in a coma, she would now have to leave.

I'll take good care of her. This time I won't let her down.

Harry answered for his silent friend, "We all thought the verdict would be in your favor so arrangements are being made. Ginny's and Alex's things will be picked up at the burrow. The ministry just needs the both of you to finish some paperwork to allow for international travel. A Portkey is being delivered to Hogwarts where you , Ginny and Alex will make your departure."

You, Ginny and Alex.

Me, the woman I love and my son.

"Let's get our son, Draco." Ginny finally withdrew from his embrace but still held on to his hand.

"Yes,"Draco whispered, "Our son."

"Paperwork first. Will just take an hour or two." Harry said opening the judge's door.

What's an hour or two when I've waited 12 years?

Back at Hogwarts, a redhaired woman was patiently waiting outside the Gryffindor common room.

"Mum?!" Alex barreled out of the portrait hole into his mother's arms. He couldn't believe his ears when Casey had told him his mother was waiting for him. News was already spreading like wildfire that his father was innocent. Now mummy was here ready to take him to his father.

"He's waiting for us in Hogsmeade."

Alex stepped back. "But…but they are burning things there." Just last night he saw them light more straw figures of him and his father. Why there? Why Hogsmeade of all places? It just seemed very unsafe.

"It's all celebratory now, Alex. He's safe. There is nothing to fear. There will even be fireworks tonight. Wouldn't you love to see that?"

Paz hissed wildly at his mum. "Stop Paz." Alex said picking him up and quickly dropping him off on the other side of the portrait door.

Alex took his mother's hand, "I'd love to see fireworks."

His mum chuckled as they headed down the staircase, "You will my boy, oh you definitely will."

TBC

ONE MORE CHAPTER LEFT

-->