Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

"I'll take three!" Draco gladly handed over thirty galleons for the pictures, giving Alex and Ginny their own copies. Ten galleons was a bit too much for one picture. In fact it was akin to highway robbery. It was clear as day that Madame Puddifoot was taking advantage of her customers, but Draco didn't mind. When would the opportunity again present itself in which they were mistaken for a family? Now he would forever have a keepsake that at one time they almost were.

That elf wasn't lying. Draco had to agree with the elf as he studied the picture. They really were quite the attractive family, much better looking than the rest of the people here with their screaming bratty children and whining wives. Draco took pride in the looks that came their way. Other mothers admired his well behaved boy while yelling at their little demons. Men on the other hand certainly had their eye on Ginny. This did not escape Draco's notice. She was with him, at least it looked that way. They had better keep their eyes to themselves, Draco thought as he fingered his wand.

"I wish this could last forever." Alex whispered softly to Draco while clutching onto the picture as if he was afraid to let it go. "Do you think, um, maybe we can do this again?"

"I would love to, but it's really your mum's decision." Draco said, his heart crashing at his son's longing. He was already planning trips that they all could take together. Wasn't that foolish? Ginny's facial expression told him all he needed to know.

Ginny frowned slightly as she took the picture shoving it deep within her cloak pocket without so much as a peek. She cast a wary glance at Draco before turning her attention to Alex. A smile magically appeared on her face . "Why don't you tell Father Christmas what you want for presents!"

"I'm almost 12 mum. I don't believe in Father Christmas." Alex said sharply all the while staring at his hands. He was a very intelligent boy and Draco knew exactly what the boy suspected would happen in his absence. His parents were going to fight.

Draco watched as Ginny's face fell. "Y-Y-Yes, you are almost 12. A young man, my mistake." she stammered, a shimmer of unmistakable tears threatening to burst.

Draco had 12 years of reading, studying and teaching children, not to mention wanting his very own, to have some experience dealing with young ones. "You know what I think Alex, I think you should do what your mum says and tell Father Christmas what you want."

"He's a lie Professor, he doesn't exist."

"Muggles think wizards and witches don't exist either, but we do. So maybe, just maybe there is a possibility that Father Christmas is also real."

Alex took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, "I suppose you could be right Professor Malfoy."

Ginny swiped a stray tear away and mouthed a thank you to Draco. The sadness in Ginny's eyes made Draco's chest tighten. He wanted to pull Ginny in his arms and tell her that she was a good mother and one day she would be a great mother. Only a few weeks ago she had lain in St. Mungo's. Ginny had made great strides with Alex in the few days she had known him. The smiling picture was proof positive of that, and he wished he could tell her. Ginny didn't have to be single parent. He was right here. He had always been here.

"I know I'm right." The corners of Draco's mouth tugged upwards when Alex nodded his head in agreement.

Alex surprised his mother with a quick kiss to the cheek instantly bringing a smile to Ginny's face. Scrambling over his father's lap and jumping to the floor, he shouted, "I'm off to see Father Christmas!"

Alex was so tiny, just as he had been at that age. It wasn't untill Draco was fifteen that he had a huge growth spurt, standing even taller than Lucius. Draco wondered briefly if it would be the same for his son.

"I have to say I'm quite impressed. Never would I have guessed what a natural you are." Ginny said, still sniffling a bit while dabbing her eyes with tissue.

Draco was surprised by her compliment, "Thanks Weasley, but I think you are being much too hard on yourself."

Ginny rested her head onto her hands, "I come from mothering stock Draco. The great Molly Weasley is my mother. One would think some of her abilities would have rubbed off on me.

Draco smiled slightly. Ginny had called him by his first name again. "No one's perfect Weasley. Not even as you refer to your own mother, the great Molly Weasley. She's had plenty of practice with, what is it seven, 8 or was it 10 of you? "

Ginny smacked him playfully, "There are seven of us Malfoy." Suddenly her expression darkened remembering the error of her words, "There were seven of us."

"Don't Weasley." Working on their own accord, his hands took Ginny's in his own. He stroked the backs of her hands surprised that she hadn't withdrawn. They were still so soft , just as he remembered.

"I miss them." Ginny said blinking back tears.

And I've missed you.

***

Snow fell from the ceiling, drifting on the long line of children waiting to sit on Father Christmas's lap. Alex stuck out his tongue, catching a snowflake in his mouth before it could hit the ground and disappear. He was much too old to believe in Father Christmas, much less sit on his lap.

He was six years old when Edmund told him Father Christmas was only Grandpa Weasley all dressed up. He cried for days. On Christmas day it was Edmund's turn to cry when he received a stocking full of coal. Later on, of course, he was given his real presents. From that day on Edmund was never allowed to tell the younger cousins that Father Christmas wasn't real.

Here Alex was, ready to tell a man that didn't exist what he wanted for Christmas. Father wanted him to do this for mum. Alex felt horrible for snapping at his mother but he couldn't take it if they started yelling at each other. Why couldn't they be in love like Grandma and Grandpa, or Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione?

An elf wearing pointy shoes and a necklace made of candy canes, led him to Father Christmas who sat in a large chair. It reminded Alex of the Headmisstress's chair in the great hall. This Father Christmas looked awfully familiar with his long white beard, gold rimmed glasses and twinkling eyes. His long red wizarding cloak and shiny black boots seemed much more real than Grandpa's.

"Have I seen you before?" Alex asked touching the beard that almost reached to the floor.

"Oh no, Alex but I've had my eye on you."

Alex's eyes darted throughout the tea shoppe, hoping that none of his classmates were in the vicinity.

"Would you like to sit on Father Christmas's lap?"

"Stand if you don't mind Father Christmas." Alex replied. If Edmund and Everett saw him, there was no possible way he would ever be able to live this down. They would tease him until he graduated. Seven long years of teasing was far too much!

"What do you want for Christmas Alex?"

There was so much he wanted. Where to begin? Alex hesitated, unsure of what to say. Should he really tell this stranger all his wishes when in Alex's heart he knew it wouldn't come true?

Father Christmas's eyes twinkled, "I think I know what you want already."

Alex watched in amazement as Father Christmas pointed his red and green wand towards his mum and dad. They were holding hands! It wasn't possible. It wasn't possible…..unless…..unless the man in front of him really was Father Christmas!

"Are you……?"

Before Alex could finish the bearded man nodded his head. All Alex could utter was a one word phrase, "Wow!" Father Christmas wasn't fat and jolly like he had pictured him to be. More wise and knowing was what Alex would describe him as. Alex wondered what Father Christmas did the rest of the year.

Once again, the man whose eyes sparkled, answered Alex's question as if reading his mind, "Vacation mostly. I've worn many hats in my day. Retired from most of them but I still enjoy passing out presents on Christmas."

"Could I sit on your lap?" Alex asked wanting to be closer to the man who seemed to know everything his heart desired.

Father Christmas patted his knee, "Climb up my boy."

Alex sat on his lap sensing the strong magic that swirled around them. Father Christmas was a wizard and a very powerful one at that!

"Would you like a lemon gumdrop or perhaps a chocolate frog?" He asked Alex, taking them out of his bag of goodies.

Alex looked at the chocolate frog in awe. It had been magicked to say Happy Christmas. "Thank you." Alex said before dropping it into his mouth.

"I much prefer lemon sherbert myself. Now tell me what else you would like for Christmas."

"I want my mum and dad to love each other." Questions galore ran through Alex's head. Was it really going to happen? Would Father Christmas grant his wish? Maybe he should ask for something more simple, like his mum smiling at his dad. That would be a start at least.

"Do you believe in miracles young Malfoy?"

"Yes." Alex nodded enthusiastically. He'd believe in anything if it could bring his mum and dad together.

Father Christmas reached into his bag. He winked at Alex, handing him what he recognized from Herbology as mistletoe. "The miracle has already started. I trust you know what to do."

"Thank you so much Father Christmas!" Alex turned over the small sprig of mistletoe over in his hands. A sly smirk crept up on his face. Did Alex know what to do with this particular plant? Did he ever!

***

Ginny didn't want to cry in front of Malfoy of all people. This was supposed to be a day of merriment for Alex. Why couldn't there be one day she didn't have to think of Percy and Charlie?

The answer sat in front of her. Draco Malfoy had been there when her brother's were killed. Ginny withdrew her hands from his as if they burned.

"Did you hurt my brothers Malfoy?" This wasn't the place nor the time but she had to know.

"Weasley, please. Not here! Think about Alex!" He pounded the table causing other patrons to look their way.

"I am thinking about him!" Ginny had wanted to tell Draco Malfoy that today was the only day he could play his little apology game to the Weasley's. No more playing father to her son. Ginny had to fight for control not to let Alex see how upset she had become. Draco Malfoy willingly paid for a family picture that was a lie. After today, he was no longer welcome. But after seeing how he handled the Father Christmas situation with Alex, Ginny was starting to have doubts.

Silence passed between them before Ginny asked again, "Malfoy, did you hurt my brothers?" She wanted to hear his answer. She needed to hear his answer.

"No." Draco's voice was calm, his gaze steady.

Tears of relief found their way to her eyes. Deep down, hadn't she always known? She felt him hesitantly draw her closer. He said nothing to her as his arms folded around her, drawing a great breath through his nose.

"You smell so good." Ginny thought she heard him whisper.

She should be panicking and trying to get away. But it felt so right, so very familiar to be held against Draco Malfoy's chest while his head was buried in her hair. Ginny didn't know how long they were both locked in that embrace, two lonely people clinging to each other.

"Wow! Father Christmas was right!" Alex stood in front of their table looking on in wonderment.

Ginny slid out of Draco Malfoy's arms, both redfaced at being caught by Alex. But they had only hugged, nothing more and nothing less. Why then did she feel as if she had just crossed over into some kind of uncharted territory?

Trying to gather her composure, Ginny asked Alex what presents Father Christmas promised to bring. Alex could only smirk, pointing to the floating mistletoe above their heads.

Ginny gulped as Draco's eyes darkened. "Shall we?"

Fear shivered through her, not of the dark and all things evil but of another sort. She wanted to kiss him too and it scared her.

"Mum, it's holiday tradition." Alex seemed to plead.

It would mean a lot to Alex. Didn't she tell herself that she would do anything he asked of her? One little kiss on the cheek, no harm done.

"Close your eyes, Alex." Draco winked and Alex gladly obeyed.

Before she could change her mind or protest he lowered his mouth to hers. The moment Draco's lips touched Ginny, multiple sensations ran throughout her body. Electricity surged through her ,sending her nerves tingling. Ginny's lips parted allowing him access. They explored each other with an ever increasing need. And oh, he tasted of chocolate! Draco's arms slid around her, holding her tighter and closer while her own hands slipped around his neck playing with his soft fine hair.

His warmth chased away the cold in her heart. Draco pulled her closer, her breasts pressed against his firm chest. She could feel the rapid beating of his heart as his long fingers ran through her hair.

She didn't want to stop, didn't want it to ever end. But they had to stop.

"I love you Ginny. Oh Gods, I love you."

Had she heard him right? Draco words startled her back to the present. The kiss ended leaving them staring at each other.

"Awesome!" Alex said jumping up and down.

Slowly it dawned on Ginny that she was still in Draco Malfoy's arms and the funny thing was, she didn't want to leave. Slowly she scooted away from him. The kiss was supposed to be nothing more than a traditional peck. How did everything get out so out of hand and why did she let it?

Ginny and Draco stared at each other in disbelief. They were both blushing like guilty teenagers caught in the act. Ginny touched her fingers to her swollen lips wondering what had just transpired between them.

"Mum?" Ginny was glad to draw her attention away from Draco. The blonde man was now dragging a trembling hand through his hair probably wondering the same thing.

"Yes Alex?" He looked so very happy. It was apparent to Ginny what Alex wanted. But it could never be. Ginny was not going to date Draco Malfoy just because Alex wanted her to. She would have to put her foot down sometime. After Christmas she would have a talk with him. Not before. She couldn't bear to have his heart broken during the holiday.

Unfortunately, Alex took the decision from her.

"Mum, Do you love Professor Malfoy?"

TBC

I know, I know the whole mistletoe thing is a bit over used….but I had to do it!

Upcoming -Ginny has a Flashback, Finally Christmas comes to this story, and Ginny learns the truth!