Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

Chap 21

I'm not going to cry. Ginny thought, watching a happy and smiling Alex engaged in a chess match with his father. She busied herself with a book, not daring to let her eyes wander back to her son. Only when he was with Draco did his eyes light up and truly match the smile on his face. Sadly, Ginny noticed that Alex rarely laughed. Not like he was doing right now.

"Checkmate!" she heard Alex roar.

"You cheated!"

"No Dad, I'm a Gryffindor. We don't cheat. Now pay up."

Ginny watched as Draco reached into the bowl filled with goodies and handed over a box of Bernie Botts Every Flavor Beans. Putting on his best grudging voice he replied, "There's Slytherin in you, no doubt. No mercy, not even for your father."

She guiltily reminded herself of the last time Alex had been in such good spirits. The Hogsmeade trip had gone well, only to go so horribly awry. What Draco had done was very wrong . He had almost committed the same act that everyone had told her he had already done, an act that his own father had perpetrated on her.

But she would forgive him because Alex loved him and a part of her still felt great affection towards him. Ginny couldn't quite explain it herself. How did they end up making such a beautiful boy, when but a few weeks before his conception they hated each other?

"Ginny."

She looked up, startled to see Draco standing before her. No evidence of his past beatings were evident, save for a spot of blood on his prison robes, reminding Ginny just how close she had come to losing them both.

"How about joining us in a game of cards. Alex is on a winning streak and he must be stopped."

She looked over at Alex who seemed to be on the verge of jumping off of his chair in joy. Of course she would play. Father and son time was important but Ginny also knew that her boy wanted be with both his parents. Ginny tried not to think of the discussions taking place at this very moment concerning Draco's life and the confusing memories she had witnessed in her pensieve. Alex should always have his father and mother at his side.

Ginny offered up a smile as she took Draco's outstretched hand, "A winning streak, eh?" She quirked her eyebrow at him, "That's a trait he gets from me."

"We'll see about that when I beat the both of you."

"I'd like to see you try Draco Malfoy." She said letting Draco lead her to the table. A hyperactive Alex waited. He hopped off his own chair pulling out his mother's. Before she took her seat, Ginny placed a kiss atop her son's blond head. "Such a gentleman you are."

He wriggled away from her, smirking, dumping boxes of Bernies beans in the center of the table and proceeded to separate them by color.

Draco leaned towards Ginny, whispering in her ear, "You won't think such a thing when Alex tells you what the losers have to do."

How could she think when the effect of Draco's breath against her skin left her feeling a bit lightheaded? Alex looked up at her curiously as Ginny fanned herself with a card she swiped from the deck. "It's hot in here, don't you think?"

"No," Alex answered shuffling the deck. "You should lie down mum." He turned to His father, "There's a bed over in that room, father " Alex said pointing to the door, "Maybe you should take mum to bed and have her rest."

"I think your mum just needs some water." Draco said jumping off his chair in a similar fashion as Alex had done only moments before. He walked over to a pitcher of water set on a stand near the entrance to the room, and brought back a glass for Ginny while gulping one down himself.

Ginny had to hold back a chuckle. What a sneaky little bugger their son was. "So tell me Alex what will you and your father have to do when I win?"

Ginny knew she should have expected the answer that Alex gave her. The suspicious gleam in Alex's eye was the same as in Madame Puddifoot's Tea Shoppe. "I'm going to win Mum, and when I do, you and father must kiss." He said calmly dividing the cards between the three of them.

This time it was Draco who objected, "Alex, I don't think -"

Alex interrupted his father pouring more Bernie's Every Flavor Beans on the table, "If you don't kiss then you have to eat all the bogie and earwax flavored beans."

"I guess that means one of us has to win" Draco said to Ginny while reaching out to collect the green and grey beans just in case.

"Drop those beans Malfoy. I don't intend to eat any of those horrid candies." Ginny said, catching sight of Alex's grinning face across from hers. How perfectly happy her son looked, in of all places Azkaban. Her little boy had faced too many days of disappointment. This day had started off as a disaster and it was still late morning. She refused to ruin the rest of the time they had left for Alex. She leaned next to Draco, whispering in his ear, "But I do intend to lose."

Bernie Botts Every Flavor beans scattered across the table.

*~*~*

"Well, are you going to kiss her father?" Alex asked tapping his fingers impatiently as he collected the cards. "I've won and you two have lost. A deal is a deal."

What a brat his son was being, and Draco couldn't have loved him more than he did at this very moment. But he had to be careful. He had rushed into things, forcing his feelings on Ginny in a way that made him ashamed. A Malfoy never had to force anything. A Malfoy always got what he wanted. Or at least he once did. It had been Ginny who had come to him many years ago.

(flashback)

Draco had been quite surprised when a captured Ginny Weasley was given to him as his personal servant by his father.

"The Order will be coming for you!"

The same girl who had laughed in his face, caused him utter humiliation in the hallways of Hogwarts with that bat bogey hex was about to be taken down a notch or two.

"Payback time little Weasley." Draco whispered, delighting in the shiver of fear he saw in her as he dragged a bound Ginny Weasley down the corridor.

"Harry will defeat Voldemort and when he does you'll rot in Azkaban!"

Draco threw her to the floor where she landed with a harsh thud. "How is Potter to defeat the Dark Lord when he can't even save you?"

Still stubborn this girl was, as she spat in his face. "You Death Eaters will never win!"

Draco narrowed his eyes at the girl who dared spit in his face. His anger rising by the secomds. "I could have you killed for your disrespect. But I don't think I will." He smiled eerily at her, sending Ginny crawling back, "I have something different planned for you."

"Don't touch me!" Ginny screamed as he came forward, struggling to free herself from her magical binds. "Don't touch me."

Draco could only roll his eyes at the suggestion. Stupid silly girl. She was pretty, there was no doubt about that. But he didn't want to taint himself with mudblood loving filth. Who knew what kind of mudblood had touched her?

"I have much more control than your mudblood boyfriends. Maybe we shall indulge your tastes later Weasley. We have that mudblood Thomas here. Perhaps I'll have you two share a cozy cell. Would that be more to your liking?"

He took out his wand chanting a spell that did away with her binding. "Now would I free you if I was going to do something wicked?"

"One day you'll regret everything you did here. Mark my words Malfoy! That day is coming!"

Draco let out a hollow laugh. The writing was written on the wall. The Death Eaters were winning. Every major battle up to this point had been disastrous for the Order. It would be nothing short of miraculous if they won and Draco didn't believe in miracles for his side, nor for theirs. "What are you Weasley, a seer now? You can tell the future?"

"I am the seventh child of a seventh child. And my brother Ron always had the gift. He predicts our victory and your destruction."

"The wind is blowing our way Weasley."

"Wind can change directions Malfoy, even for you."

He had enough of her talking. He was the one in charge and he would show her. Better now than later. Draco had an assignment to do and Ginny would be perfect. "One of your dear friends arrived just before you graced us with your wonderful presence. I thought maybe you and I could pay him a visit."

Draco grabbed onto Ginny's arms, twisting them behind her back. He was surprised at the girls' strength as she struggled against him. He would let her tire herself out. It would be much easier to break her later.

Perhaps that time would come sooner than expected. Beyond a wooden door was the sound of a screaming man. "No!" Ginny cried at the sound of a man's voice. "No!"

"Yes, Weasley. Maybe you and your brothers will be next!" he threatened, knowing full well that nothing was to come of this particular Weasley, at least for tonight. She had different purposes that could be served at the moment.

The door swung open, flickering lights from floating overhead torches casting an unnatural light on the room. "Welcome nephew." Bellatrix smiled wickedly kissing Draco on the cheek. "You've brought a friend." she said turning her attention to the woman he held in his arms. "What a pretty girl. She'll make a delightful addition to our game!"

Ginny wrestled a free hand from Draco and attempted to slap the smirk off the other woman's face.

Bellatrix grabbed her hand, digging her fingernails into Ginny's skin, satisfied when she drew blood. "Fiery little thing, aren't you?" she brought her wand up, harshly digging the tip against Ginny's throat. "Hear that screaming? You are next."

Bellatrix beckoned Draco closer to join the circle consisting of Dolohov, McNair, Avery and her husband Rudolphus . Their black cloaks and chanting surrounded the source of the screams. Shouts of Crucio were heard around them as each of the Death Eaters took their turns trying to extract information and when it failed, handing out punishment.

Draco could feel the young Weasley's stupid Gryffindor courage as she tried to break free but he wouldn't let her. If this one prisoner of theirs would finally give in, then everything would start to fall into place for him. Admiration and power from the other Death Eaters. Recognition from Voldemort. Respect from his father.

Weasley was wrong. He would never regret this.

In the middle of the Deatheaters lay a bleeding and broken young man, not much older than a boy. Ginny immediately let out a cry at the sight of him, twisting in Draco's firm grasp and pleading with him to let her go.

"Ginny?" the man on the floor struggled to open his eyes reaching out a hand to the redhaired girl. "Don't hurt her!" he said as he pushed himself up with much effort. "Don't hurt her!" he screamed, his eyes locking with Draco's.

"What are you going to do? Save her? I'd like to see you try!" Draco mocked. But inside, very deep inside Draco couldn't help but have grudging respect for the man. A Gryffindor he truly was. After hours of torture he had given no information and refused to renounce his allegiance to the Order. Like all the Gryffindors before him, the man was extremely stupid. Did he want to die?

"Crucio!" Bellatrix's glee rang out as the dark haired man writhed in pain , foam and blood dribbling from his mouth onto the stone floor.

Ginny wretched her arm free from Draco, grasping onto the young man's arm who lay slowly dying before her. "Ginny." he whispered.

The contact only lasted for a mere second as Draco dragged her away again. He was being too nice in even allowing that. "No! Neville!" she said reaching out for him in vain. "Neville!"

"Tie the girl up nephew. We are going to have a bit of fun with the Weasley as Longbottom watches. Tell us what we want to know and the girl goes free"

Ginny shook her head, pleading with Neville not to cooperate. "Don't trust them Neville. "

A newly bound Ginny was pushed into the center of the circle, each Death Eater taking turns to Crucio the new prisoner. It was obvious that Neville was beginning to crack under the strain. It wasn't long before he resembled nothing more than a whimpering piece of flesh on the floor giving up the location of the next battle.

Ginny Weasley had done her job and had done it quite well.

"You woman are always the downfall of us men, aren't you?" Draco chuckled as he took a crying Ginny to his room. Lost in her tears Draco could hear her muttering about her brothers. She would be useful in their torture as well. He would be sure to use her to bring not only her brothers down but the rest of the Order as well.

It pleased him to no end that the youngest Weasley would be at his beck and call. The quarters given to Voldemort's army weren't in the most optimal conditions, but as a Malfoy he was given one of the best rooms. He would make sure she was put to good use in other ways. The first task he would have her do would be to clean his room and perhaps make his meals. Houself duties he was quite sure befitted a person such as herself.

No more smart remarks from her. She would learn or face the same fate as Longbottom. He looked around his room wondering what he would have Weasley do first. He sat on his bed and motioned for her to follow him.

She froze, afraid to come any closer.

"You give yourself too much credit. Wipe my boots Weasley." He said shoving her head to the ground. Draco smiled, pleased with himself to see the change in the disrespectful Gryffindor that had been brought in only hours before.

The redhead looked around frantically, spotting a rag and wiping at his boots furiously.

"No." Draco said, "Not with a rag." He snapped grabbing the material and throwing it to the floor, "And you will address me as Master."

Ginny slowly rose her head to meet his, "With what then,? " she hesitated before adding, "Master."

When he didn't answer she asked again. Her voice shook as she met the dangerous gleam in his eye. "What will you have me clean your boots with, Master?"

"With your tongue, Weasley."

*~*~*

He had observed McNair use this as a punishment to make a prisoner more subservient. It seemed to be doing the trick, yet it didn't give him the satisfaction he was sure it had given McNair. Was this the same girl he had battled in Quidditch. Why wouldn't she get up and try to fight him? She had been much too easy to subdue. Ginny Weasley was a weakling and it made him hate her more. Where was the challenge in this?

Longbottom had been much more interesting. That's who he'd pay a visit to the next morning. Take him to his cell and lock away the key. He'd be sure to thank him for giving up his friends and family. That alone would be enough for torture for the Gryffindor. Longbottom had become much too confident since the Battle at the Ministry that caused his father to be locked away.

Each and everyone of those haughty Gryffindors had laughed at him. Even his own housemates showed their true colors as they pointed their fingers with glee at his misfortune. With a father in prison and the Malfoy vault being raided by the mudblood loving ministry, Draco had never felt more truly alone that at that time. But he would be exacting his revenge.

A knock at his door sent thoughts of revenge aside. "You may enter."

"Mother!" Draco made a motion with his foot as if to kick the redhead and stopped just short of her face as she scrambled away.

Narcissa bowed her head towards her son. She looked at the girl curled in a ball on the floor and shook her head in disgust.

"Wh-What are you doing here?" he stammered as he knelt down in deference to his mother before taking her hand and placing a kiss upon his mother's palm before rising. Why should he feel embarrassed at what his mother and Snape had seen? People like the Weasley's had nearly ruined their family name. Now it was his turn to ruin her.

Narcissa didn't answer, instead she walked over to Ginny. "Up girl." A blank expression was all that was received.

"Mudblood loving wench when my mother gives you a command, you listen!" he forced her up to face his mother.

Narcissa's lips were set in a tight line. "A gift from your father?"

"A reward for a job well done, isn't that right?" offered Severus Snape, a small corner of his mouth turning upward.

Narcissa eyed the girl curiously. "She's a pure blood Draco." She said, her words directed to her son as she kept her eyes on the tear stained girl in front of her. Stepping nearer, she scrunched her nose, "My goodness she smells like a mudblood." which brought laughs from both her son and Severus.

"Molly Weasley's daughter I assume." Narcissa reached out to touch the girl, lifting through her hair muttering, "No bugs," grasping her biceps, "Very strong, she'll be good for manual labor," and measuring her hips, "A good investment, she'll be able to have many children."

"Mother, surely you don't expect me to - "

Narcissa gave a sharp laugh, "I would like her for myself, dearest. I'm heading back to Malfoy Manor and am in need of a companion. It's quite lonely now that all the servants have run off."

As much as he wanted to make his mother happy in any possible way, Ginny was still of use in prisoner interrogations. He would not let such a valuable prisoner go. Not even for his own mother. "My apologies mother, but as you have pointed out she will be of much use to me."

"Very well then." Narcissa stiffened or at least it was his imagination for she looked up at him with a warm smile and held out her arms, "I'll be at the manor by nightfall." She hugged him then in a way she hadn't since he first stepped foot on the Hogwarts Express so many years before.

It was quite embarrassing with Professor Snape and the Weasley girl watching. He didn't know what came over his mother but it needed to stop. Malfoy Manor was just as secure as Voldemort's stronghold. She had no reason to act as if this would be the last time they would see each other.

"I love you Draco."

He gently removed himself from her grip. "Mother please." He whispered. How could Professor Snape even begin to respect him after such an episode. And that Weasley girl, he couldn't stand to see her eyes on him.

"Good bye mother, I'll see you soon."

Narcissa simply nodded her head, "Your father has shut down the floo for my safety. If you need to get in contact with me, Severus has a special owl for all my deliveries."

"I'll owl you first thing mother." He said walking to the door and opening it, gesturing for his mother and Professor Snape to leave. His mother could become so emotional over the smallest of things. He wouldn't have her in a crying fit. Only weak people cried, weak people like the Weasley girl. HE would not associate his mother with people like the Weasley's.

Professor Snape strode quickly out the door but Narcissa held back, "Draco…."

"Yes mother?" Draco asked tapping his foot impatiently. He was getting rather annoyed at his mother's insistence on staying.

Narcissa opened her mouth as if to say something looking from Ginny to Draco, but instead embraced her son once again. "Goodbye my son ." she whispered softly before slipping away.

He slammed the door behind him. How many times had she returned to Malfoy Manor? Must each time be full of drama? He was beginning to understand why father spent so much time away from her. When he turned around he took a step back not expecting to come face to face with the Weasley girl.

"The way you treat your mother is abominable."

"Excuse me?" he said taking a step forward, but Ginny stood her ground.

"Your mother won't be here forever yet you take her for granted."

Draco had enough of her mouth. He had much better uses for it, and if truth be told he could think of hundreds of different ways to use it. Had Mcnair or Avery been in possession of the Weasley girl she would already have serviced them a dozen times today. But he was raised a gentleman. It was Ginny Weasley who was ungrateful. "It is you and your precious Order who won't be here long." He pushed her head back down and forced her to kneel before him.

"Now Weasley, where were we?"

*~*~*

(The present)

"Where were we?" Draco was startled back to the present by Ginny's voice. After what he had done to her, Ginny had still come to him. An eighteen year old didn't question when a willing woman came to his bed. But a 30 year old Draco did. The hows and whys were being answered in his head and he didn't want to face them. Not now when she was smiling at him with a tenderness he hadn't shown her. Not now when she was taking his hand in her own.

"The kissing part." Alex volunteered with a sly wink at his mother.

"Aren't you going to kiss me?" Ginny asked bringing much laughter to her young son. "I think you're father is playing hard to get!"

Draco slipped his hand from Ginny's and pushed away from the table. He wasn't going to take anything more from her than what he already had. "You don't have to Ginny."

"Father, I won't look, I promise!"

"Alex no!" Draco hadn't meant to raise his voice at Alex. The young boy looked crestfallen, muttering about promises that were never kept. "No," Draco repeated, this time with a soft whisper, "Let's not force your mother to do something she doesn't want to do."

Ginny pointed to the bedroom, "Alex, honey I need a moment to speak with your father."

Alex didn't move a muscle. "Alex." Ginny asked again, "All I need is a minute."

"Why do I have to go? "

"Because…" Ginny trailed. She couldn't say no to her son, not when he was pouting just so. With his lip jutting out he looked absolutely and utterly adorable, if not bratty. She had a feeling her son knew exactly what he was doing, and it was working.

Alex crossed his arms in defiance, "Because why?"

"Because your mother and I say so." Draco interjected but this time it was Ginny who wasn't listening as she headed to the bedroom. She turned towards him beckoning him to follow.

Ginny wondered at his hesitancy. He needn't be afraid to touch her. No matter what the outcome would be at his trial, she had forgiven him. She didn't want to think about the discussions that were being held at this very moment that held Draco's life in the balance. Right here and right now she would put what happened behind them. This was Alex's father and at one time she had loved him.

"I want to make Alex happy too." Draco started as he entered the room, "But it's a silly little bet. Alex has to learn he can't have everything he wants." Draco sat on the bed slumping forward with his head in his hands, rubbing his forehead furiously as if he had a headache.

"He's a Malfoy." Ginny whispered holding his hand as she took a seat next to him, "Isn't that a birthright? I want him to have everything. I want to spoil him rotten. I'm beginning to understand why your mother sent you all those chocolates back at Hogwarts."

Draco looked up at her then, looking more like a lost boy than a man. She wondered if perhaps in her attempt to lighten the subject she made a mistake by mentioning his mother. From those weeks of research while she lay recuperating at the Burrow, she had learned that Narcissa Malfoy had been killed. "Draco?" she asked quietly, lacing her fingers between his. "I don't want to kiss you for Alex. I want to kiss you for myself. Make me remember Draco."

"What if I don't want you to remember? An evil horrid boy I was to you….."

"And to my friends and my family." Ginny continued. She didn't want to hear his apologies for Hogwarts. That was in the past and she wanted to keep it there. "You were always an evil git." Ginny said jokingly, "and you are being one now for not giving me a kiss that you promised our son."

"No Ginny," he said this time turning towards her gripping onto her arms and shaking her slightly, "You don't understand!"

Was he embarrassed that Alex was right outside the door? One small kiss wouldn't scar their son. If anything the last time Alex had seen them do such a thing he had been nothing but smiles. "I understand all right." Ginny crossed over to the door and proceeded to shut it, but not before Alex gave her the thumbs up sign as she closed it. Just a kiss! she mouthed before turning her attentions once more to the other blond.

As soon as she sat next to him he moved suddenly, standing away from her. "Draco?" she asked her voice etched with concern. The last time they were in such close proximity had brought him to this wretched place. But she was ready to forgive him. She already had. Ginny locked her gaze with his, not allowing him to turn away. "I forgive you."

Draco dropped to his knees before Ginny, placing his tired and weary head in her lap. The significance of such an action she did not know. She only knew he was hurting. Ginny felt his arms shake as they wrapped around her waist. Tentatively she reached out to play with the strands of his hair, marveling at the softness of it and the once hard exterior of the man who possessed it. An exterior that was shattering before her.

The bedsprings squeaked as she moved to the floor to face him. Grey eyes looked back at her wondering what it was that she saw in such a person. Ginny reached out to touch him, her fingers delicately stroking the sides of his face. Had she known what the man was questioning she would have told him the most obvious, how beautiful indeed was such a man. But that was not what captured her. A small tear that Draco struggled to hide escaped. Ginny followed it with her fingers, kissing the tear away with her lips. His sadness had broken her.

What others saw in her pensieve didn't matter, what she felt in her heart did, "I want to remember us Draco."

"Then let us remember only the good." He tilted her chin up, brushing a kiss against her mouth.

"Alex wouldn't think that was a proper kiss." Ginny whispered as she was drawn closer in his arms.

Draco reached up, and cupped a hand behind her head, pulling her into a dizzying and electrifying kiss. He was both tender and possessive, exploring her mouth with such focus that she felt as if she was at the center of the universe.

Pieces of a time long gone flashed before her. She was in a prison, but not Azkaban. Draco stood before her in his death eater robes but she was not afraid. She allowed him to kiss her with the ferocity of youth and she returned it He grabbed at her robes until they were torn lying in tatters. His own robes joined hers, thrown to the ground. He pushed her against the stone wall, biting and licking as he entered her.

"Scream for me Ginny." He panted.

Oh yes, she was remembering.

In her frantic desire to regain more of her memories or perhaps becoming lost in them, Ginny found herself atop Draco's lap, grinding against his growing erection. She should feel embarrassed with her son right outside the door, but her senses took leave of her the moment his lips touched hers. His hands clutched onto her hip, holding Ginny to him. Burying her fingers in the hair at the nape of his neck, she pulled him even closer. As she stayed with his mouth, their tongues tangling, Ginny felt Draco press her body harder against his, her breasts crushing his chest, quietly moaning into her ear. Instinctively her body started to react, deep yearning wringing through her. She felt him slip his hands underneath her robes and she wasn't going to stop him. Not when just feeling his arousal felt this good. She wanted to cry, she wanted to scream but instead with the knowledge of a boy much too young to know of such things she kept kissing Draco, their bodies stroking against each other as each moved. His breathing was becoming uneven and as ragged as hers.

I should stop this. Ginny thought and she thought she heard Draco whisper the same as they continued becoming familiar yet again with each other. But neither of them had the willpower.

A small knock at the door brought them both back to reality. "Mum." Came Alex's shaky voice, "The guard is here to take father back."