Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

Chapter 19

A leering Hawthorne stepped closer to Draco's cell, his eyes glinting with murderous mischief. "Since I'll be going to prison myself, I might as well make the most of it." He reached for his wand, cursing when he came up empty handed. "Where in Hades is my wand???"

"Right here." Alex jumped up, rubbing his bruised neck with one hand and pointing the wand at the guard with the other.

Draco's arms shot through the bars, succumbing to the primitive urge to wrap his hands around Hawthorne's throat and slowly choke the life out of him. He held onto the thrashing guard. Draco's face reddened in anger, still reeling with the loss he almost suffered. He wouldn't allow Hawthorne the opportunity to have another go round with his son. "Die!" Draco screamed, his arms shaking as his grip intensified. "Die!"

Hawthorne tried in vain to wrench free, choking out his words, "Finally going to finish the job, are you?" The guard narrowed his eyes at Alex, pointing to the long scar that ran the length of his face. "Your daddy did this to me!"

"No Father! Don't hurt him!"

Slowly, he raised his head to look at Alex, his mind finally registering that Alex was indeed alive. The feeling of relief almost overwhelmed him. Almost. His fingers were still wrapped around Hawthorne. Thoughts of how the situation could have ended raced through his head. He couldn't let it happen. Draco tightened his grip, he wouldn't fail his son or Ginny again.

"NO! STOP IT!" Alex screamed. "NO MORE!"

Hawthorne coughed violently as Draco loosened his hold, capturing the guard's arms instead. "Because my son is better than you….." Draco whispered through clenched teeth trying to regain control of his emotions, "because my son is better than me- you live."

"Did you father?" came the question Draco didn't want to answer, "Did you do this?"

Draco looked away hastily, struggling with his conscience. "He hurt your mother, Alex. He almost…." Draco paused swallowing the lump in his throat, "He almost killed you!"

Tentatively, Alex reached out to touch the guard's scar. "When?"

Through ragged breaths came the answer, "Eight. I was eight years old."

"Get away from him, Alex!" He was afraid of what Hawthorne might do if he escaped from his grasp, and most of all, frightened of what Hawthorne might say. Grave mistakes were made by a teenager filled with hate so long ago. "Summon help for your mum."

Alex didn't seem to listen, staring intently at Hawthorne who looked curiously at the young boy. "What happened to your mum and dad?"

Hawthorne's eyes glazed over as his mind drifted to a night that begat hatred, "Death Eaters killed my mother and took my father away. I never saw him again."

Alex looked to be deep in thought before asking sorrowfully, "You were all alone?"

"I was left for dead, bleeding next to my mum. My beautiful mum whose only crime was to marry a muggle, and she was killed for it. What did we ever do to them? Why couldn't they have left us alone!" Hawthorne growled with ferocity, "Those damn Death Eaters left me an orphan!"

"Shut up!" Draco hissed, fear paralyzing him. Hadn't he already served time for his war crimes? Would he continue to pay for what he did? Alex hadn't left him physically, but there were still many ways he could lose his son. "I didn't kill your parents!" That was the truth, but he was guilty nonetheless. He hadn't helped them either, nor at that time, did he want to. One did not disobey orders from Lucius Malfoy.

Draco wanted to take it back. All of it.

Hawthorne's voice cracked with raw emotion, unshed tears welling in his eyes. "Your father held me and forced me to watch his Death Eater friends murder my mum. My own father was tortured before my eyes. Malfoy owes me a blood debt and I will never forget! They scream from their graves for justice!"

Draco twisted Hawthorne's arms roughly. "I won't allow it!" A blood debt was the magical binding of an innocent and the guilty. He had hoped that when Ginny awoke, he would claim Alex as his. How foolish of him to think that with each passing year people would forget about the war, and a debt of honor the Malfoys, were entitled to pay. A debt that would wipe out the Malfoy line forever.

Now the wizarding world knew of the secret that would forever put his son at risk. As a Weasley, Alex was safe. As a Malfoy, Alex would never truly be at peace.

"I'm sorry," Alex whispered, gazing straight into the watery eyes of a man who only moments before had been more than willing to take his life. "And I forgive you-Stupefy." Hawthorne slumped over, his arms finally escaping from Draco's hold as he collapsed onto the ground.

Draco didn't spare a glance at Hawthorne's prone form lying motionless on the floor. The only thing that mattered was Alex who stood over the guard, his face expressionless. "Alex," Draco said hesitantly, "Are you ok?" When no answer came, Draco reached through the bars framing Alex's face in his trembling hands. "Forgive me."

>>*<<

Suddenly, a multitude of voices could be heard down the corridor. Alex wrenched away from Draco as familiar voices drifted towards father and son. "Grandma! Grandpa!" He raced towards his grandparents flanked by Aurors, stopping to kneel next to his mum, "She needs a Mediwizard!"

A female Mediwizard bent down to inspect Ginny, "She'll be fine young man, an hour in the infirmary and your mum will be as good as new."

Alex felt his grandmother's arms wrap around him. Grandma Weasley always knew when he needed her. "How did you know to come?" Heaving a sigh he turned towards Molly who held onto him tight, as if she didn't want to ever let him go. Alex wanted to cry to rid himself of the heaviness centered in his chest, but he was far too tired to shed any tears.

"Our clock said you were in Mortal Peril!" She held Alex out, inspecting him. "Oh sweetheart," Molly whispered, lightly touching the bruises on his neck, "Arthur look at my poor baby."

"What's going on here!" Warden Thompson exclaimed, stepping out from the crowd.

"I think it's fairly obvious!" Molly snapped, "Your management skills leave much to be desired. Send you and your bags packing I will! Mark my words, I promise that my husband will have you fi-"

Never before had Alex seen Grandpa interrupt his grandmother. "I think it's high time we had a discussion, Warden Thompson. See to it that my daughter and grandson are looked after by the Mediwizards and I shall meet you in your office for a little chat."

"Grandpa?" Alex looked up at Arthur who had turned his attention away from the speechless warden to the stunned guard on the stone floor. He looked distant, as if his mind was anywhere but Azkaban. Hadn't Grandpa Weasley always been that way? Alex knew Grandpa loved him in his own way, buying him presents and taking him on trips, but he wasn't like Grandma Weasley, who was warm all the time. From what he heard from his uncles, Grandpa wasn't like this before the war. Laughing and smiling constantly, Grandpa Weasley was always talking and joking about an assortment of things. As long as Alex knew him, Grandpa had always been a quiet and serious man. Alex couldn't imagine him any other way.

"Grandpa? " Finally breaking free of Molly's embrace he turned towards Arthur, "Grandpa."

His grandfather looked so tired, with dark circles under his eyes. A tight smile greeted him. Instead of saying anything, Arthur reached out to hold his grandson and Alex obliged. Hugs from his grandfather were rare, but when they came, they were almost on par to the best hugs from Grandmother. The last time Grandpa Weasley hugged him was when he fell off his broom that Uncles Fred and George had enchanted to fly faster. Alex could still remember the yelling afterwards that ensued. His grownup Uncles were chided like children, while he got presents of Fellytones from Grandpa and kisses and cakes from Grandma. If falling off the broom earned you presents, Alex was more than tempted to take another spill. Only it had hurt awfully bad.

Arthur shook as he held his grandson." "We tried to get here sooner, Alex. I couldn't find my emergency portkey."

"I'm fine Grandpa. Really I am." Alex squeezed in a final hug before separating. Was it wrong to find comfort in the fact that his Grandfather had been worried? Sometimes he had questions about Grandfather Weasley's love for him. But at times like these, even though they seemed to be surrounded by darkness, the love of his grandfather always shone through.

"I need your help, Grandpa." Alex took Arthur's hand, leading him in haste to the front of his father's cell, avoiding the stunned body of Hawthorne that was being bound by Aurors. Alex found his father kneeling on the ground; his body slumped against the bars. "He's hurt awfully bad."

He saw the curious eyes of his grandfather inspect the beaten form of his father. Why wouldn't Father look at him or Grandpa? Instead Draco kept his eyes downcast, staring at the dirt floor of his cell as if he was in a trance. Minutes of silence passed before Alex broached the subject again. "Please Grandpa, he needs a mediwizard."

Arthur bent down next to Draco. "Only for my grandson!" Alex heard his grandfather whisper harshly before walking abruptly away," Alex jumped upon hearing his grandfather's voice bellowing down the hallway, "I NEED A MEDIWIZARD DOWN HERE! NOW!"

"You were never supposed to hear any of it," Draco said softly, his eyes still fixed on the dirt floor, "Because of me, you could have died."

"But I didn't," Alex replied glumly, thinking about his fight with Duncan McCain. He had plenty of practice this week playing dead.

Gently Alex felt his father lift his chin and look into his eyes, "I'm proud of you Alex. You were so smart and so brave." Draco's voice faltered, "If you hate me I understand, because I hate myself. You don't know how much I want to take away your pain." Draco paused. The strong facade slowly crumbled as one tear escaped, followed by another. "You're worth ten of me."

Though his father held a faint smile, his eyes were still sad. And if there was anything Alex knew about, it was sadness. Every dark secret he had heard about his father came much too late. He already loved this man so very much. "Father, I forgive you."

His words only seemed to make the seemingly emotionless man cry more. Never before had he seen his father in such a state. His thoughts were interrupted by a slight tap on his shoulder. Alex looked over his shoulder to see his grandmother and a mediwizard, with a stretcher floating beside them.

Molly held out her hand to her grandson, "Alex, dear. We'll walk to the infirmary so that a mediwizard can take a look at you. " She pointed to the darkhaired man beside her, "This mediwizard will take care of your father."

Alex slipped his hand into his grandmother's as he watched his father being floated onto the stretcher. He felt tired and worried. Suddenly, it was too much to hold back. The harsh reality of all the events that had occurred finally hit him. He sniffled as a tear trailed down his cheek, turning into Molly's welcoming arms and buried his face against her.

>>*<<

Ginny slowly roused from slumber. She was disoriented and her head throbbed. She had no idea how long she had been unconscious. Was it a few minutes? Hours? Days?

What had happened? Ginny scrubbed a hand over her face and blinked to clear her vision. The scent of healing potions and the clang of hospital machinery whirred in the background. Where was she? The memories floated back. Alex. The guard had Alex. He was going to hurt her son and she couldn't stop him.

"Alex?" Staggering out of bed, she called out to him noticing two Aurors posted at the door across the room. "Where's my son?" she asked the Aurors anxiously. Before they could answer, a sound from the corner stopped her cold. A low moan. She spun around. Through the partially opened curtains she saw Alex next to a hospital cot keeping watch on his father.

Draco looked pale and bruised against the white sheets. She walked towards them both, her heart in her throat. "Alex! Draco!"

"Ssh!" Alex held a finger to his lips. "He's sleeping."

It was just like her son to be more concerned for anyone other than himself. Ginny slid into a nearby chair and pulled Alex onto her lap. "I know you are too big for laps, but I don't think we ever outgrow hugs." His bruises that she and her mother tried to rid Alex of were gone. Whatever injuries the guard may have inflicted on her son were not evident and apparently healed. She held him close ensuring herself that he indeed was safe and sound.

"Mum, I can't breathe." Alex coughed, finally pulling away, giving Ginny a quick peck on the cheek before returning to watch his father.

Ginny swallowed hard, afraid to ask what had had happened, but there were still many questions she had about the events that had transpired. Ginny would not have Alex repeat what she was sure was a traumatic experience for all of them. The most important thing right now was that her son was ok and Draco was being given the medical attention he needed. There would be time for answers later.

Ginny eyed a bottle of Skele- Gro amongst numerous other potions next to Draco's bed. Being a former Quidditch player, Ginny had been given her share of Skele-Gro when a stray bludger had thrown her off her broom, breaking a leg in the process. The memories of the bitter taste and pain as the bones mended made her grimace. Ginny clasped her hand over his, feeling the need to take care of him. Poor Draco.

She didn't notice the wide eyed boy whose once somber face was slowly spreading into a grin. Slowly, Alex tiptoed away to the opposite end of the infirmary, crossing his fingers the entire way.

Draco's eyes slowly opened. He squinted, trying to focus on her. It was obvious that he had been given a very strong pain relieving potion. Draco seemed to struggle to find his words, "G-Ginny?"

"I'm right here."

He reached out to cup her face in his hands and she did not stop him. "You look bloody awful," Ginny said, forcing herself to smile.

Even under heavy sedation, Draco still managed to smirk, "Wait till I'm healed Weasley. I'll be prettier than you."

"And more vain to boot. Still think yourself a legend in your own mirror, do you Draco?" Ginny raised her eyebrows, laughingly remembering how annoyingly neat he had been at Hogwarts, especially about his hair. It was rumored he spent more time in the loos of Hogwarts applying glamour spells than any other female student, including Hogwarts beauty queens Lavander and Parvati- and that was saying something.

"No, I think you are," He said softly, "You're beautiful."

He pulled her towards him, lowering her mouth to his. Without thought, Ginny's lips parted readying themselves for contact her body wanted but her mind struggled to fight. "Malfoy, no." she said pressing a shaky hand against his chest.

To her, he was still a stranger. The memory of intimate touches shared was brief and hazy. She didn't remember that Draco had probably seen her in every way imaginable. But Ginny did remember the feeling of having loved this man.

"Please Ginny, let me give you a new memory." He didn't wait for her response as he claimed her mouth. Ginny's pulse raced as his lips melded with hers. Long forgotten desire stirred within when he moaned into her mouth. As she tasted Draco's lips, raw need flamed inside of her, remembering the feel of his hands everywhere, giving her pleasure.

She forced herself away from him, flushed with arousal. What was she thinking? He was hurt and medicated. Had she allowed him to keep touching her she was afraid of where it might have lead to. For shame! Ginny scolded herself.

"Ginny, come back….."

She smacked her forehead with her palm ignoring the pleas of the man who was still calling for her. Not once did she think of Alex. Once again she was kissing Draco Malfoy in plain view of her son, but Alex wasn't nearby. She walked away from Draco's bed catching sight of her son, happily chatting away with one of the Aurors who were guarding the entrance to the infirmary.

"…….you own a Peruvian Vipertooth Dragon?!" Alex exclaimed.

"Had her 'bout three years this March. She's a beaut. "

"Wicked cool! My Uncle Charlie was a dragon trainer. I want to be a dragon trainer too or a zoo keeper or work in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts office or….."

Ginny felt instant relief that Alex was immersed in conversation. At least he hadn't seen.

Or so she thought.

Alex cast a sly grin at his mother. "It's not like I haven't seen you kiss him before Mum," he said before returning to the conversation with the Auror.

She slowly backed away, biting her lip in a combination of embarrassment and laughter. Drawing the hospital curtains more securely around Draco's bed this time, she returned to his side. A rush of tenderness overcame her as she traced a path along his cheek. There was still so much she did not know. Her heart told her that Draco did not deserve to be in this prison; but the last thing she wanted was to endanger Alex , to lose him again.

"Who are you, Draco Malfoy?" she whispered gazing at his sleeping form, "Who are you?"

To be continued

Thanks to my betareaders VioletJersey and Rainpuddle13. Go read their stuff now!!!

And thanks to all who have read and given their thoughts, good or bad.