Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

(More flashbacks of course)

Chapter 8


Draco's muscle worked in his jaw as he took his seat at the staff table. Taking a glance at the Gryffindor table he took note that it was half empty. A reminder of misplaced hate directed towards his son. Draco had spent 7 years being the most disliked person to grace the hallowed halls of Hogwarts. Lonely it was and Draco knew he deserved every minute of it. But not Alex.

Draco stabbed his eggs wishing it was that damn pathetic Gryffindor git who had hurt his son. So immersed was he in images of torture he'd inflict on the overgrown bully that he hadn't noticed the redhead taking a seat next to him. Draco had to still his fingers from shaking.

He stole a look at her. How well he remembered her hair, how many times had he buried himself in her red locks? Too many times to count and not enough times to make up for their years apart. Draco wondered if the spot right behind her ears was still ticklish. For just a small moment he forgot he was at Hogwarts, forgot he was at the staff table in complete view of the entire student population. When Ginny brushed a stray lock of hair behind her ear Draco was tempted to kiss her. Many nights he dreamed of her hair, her fingers, of Ginny's touch and of her soft kisses. Then he would awaken, alone, his body coiled with frustration, anger and pain.

"Good Morning Professor Weasley." His attempts to wish her a good morning were met with stony silence. She continued to sip her juice without a look towards him. Had she not heard him? Not one to give up easily, Draco tried once again. "Good Morning Professor Weasley."

Nothing. No words in return as she continued to butter her toast as if he wasn't there. His fingers itched to shake her, to make her see that he refused to be ignored. Whoever said Draco Malfoy hand no heart was wrong. Ginny's words from the night before nearly broke his.

"I SAID….." Draco's voice rose, not caring that he was now attracting unwanted attention from the other staff, "GOOD MORNING WEASLEY! When one greets another it's usually good manners to answer! " Draco shoved his plate away, angry at himself for resorting to such a tactic.

"I heard you the first time Malfoy." Ginny said firmly. Brown eyes that had at one time held warmth now flashed coolly on Draco. "You're no expert on manners Malfoy, unless you count beating me the height of good manners!"

Draco rested his head in his trembling hands. Of all the things she remembered, why did it have to be the one thing he himself tried to erase from his own memories? He had told her he was sorry once and Ginny had forgiven him. How many apologies would be enough?

Ginny continued glaring at the guilty man whose face was buried in shame, "Think I would forget that episode, did you?!"

Draco raised his eyes to meet hers, "I'm sorry." he whispered.

Ginny shook her head, pushing herself away from the table. "Your apologies mean nothing." She said before heading out towards the great hall doors leaving Draco staring at the empty space next to him.

"Are you ok Professor Malfoy?" Hermione asked knowing full well the conversation between Malfoy and Ginny was anything but friendly. She had been sitting a bit too far away to hear but body language told her everything she needed to know.

"I'm fine Headmisstress." Draco lied. He clutched at his chest, the emotional pain becoming far too real. A hollowness filled what had once been hope. His heart told him that Ginny had loved him once and could love him again. Common sense said to give up on what could never be and plan his life without her. But if he gave up on Ginny, he gave up on Alex, something he would never do.

***

Draco was grateful for the free period he had. Papers littered his desk that he ought to be grading. Instead he stared out the window at the red haired witch flying through the air. Not only did Ginny have the attention of her first year students, she also had the attention of the lovesick DADA professor. He leaned against the window tracing her flight path with his fingers.

"Taken with her are you?"

Draco spun around to be met by the grinning Casey Wood. He should be mad at the girl for sneaking up on him like that, mad at her for seeing him in a most vulnerable private moment. For some reason he could not utter the word detention. If it hadn't been for her, Alex would have suffered much worse. Out of all the teachers she could have come to for help, Casey Wood had immediately sought out his help. Little Casey hadn't hesitated choosing the former deatheater to help Alex.

Draco sat down on the ledge answering her question, "Yes, very much so." Since when did first years become so smart and aware?

"I'm quite taken with someone too Professor, but he doesn't see me that way yet," with confidence she answered, "He will."

Draco chuckled, "You're awfully young to be thinking of such things." At 11 the thought of girls was the furthest from his mind. Draco crossed his fingers and hoped the same could be said about Alex.

Casey took a seat opposite her Professor on the ledge, "I'll be 12 soon, almost a teenager just like my sister."

"Enjoy your youth." Draco advised. Being an adult doesn't get any easier, it only makes you more accountable.

Casey handed him a gift box of chocolate frogs, "I had my sister pick these up in Hogsmeade. These are for Alex. Perhaps you can give these to him when you see him today."

Draco's mouth twitched with amusement. Taking the box, Draco opened the attached card. A big glittery heart was drawn with Alex's name in the center. Sweet Merlin, Alex Weasley had an admirer! Would he have to talk to his son about the birds and the bees already? The boy was only eleven! Maybe he should have that talk with him soon. There was no way he would leave such a discussion to Molly Weasley, the bearer of seven children.

***

Edmund and Everett were the first people he had awoken to. They were laden with gifts and get well cards signed by the remaining Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs and even some Slytherins.

His cousins had given him funny looks when he requested that they bring him a copy of The Malfoy Family- Pureblood Royalty. Like the good cousins they were, the book was delivered promptly after breakfast, as well as Weasleys' Wild-Fire Whiz-Bangs for his amusement. Madame Pomfrey eyed the package of fireworks that Alex held in his hand warily. Alex could only give an awkward smile before hiding them in his drawer. What were his cousins thinking?

What he wanted to do was find out more about his father. Opening the book he found himself immersed in all things Malfoy. Though it was daylight, Alex chanted Lumos lighting even the furthest corners of the medical wing. Why did Madame Pomfrey have to leave? The chapter on his grandfather, Lucius Malfoy, caused him to shiver in fear. Every creak and every howl of the December wind was suspect.

"That's enough reading…….son." The book promptly snapped shut and Alex found himself face to face with his newfound father.

Alex couldn't help the toothy grin that spread across his face. He looked up at his professor hesitantly, still a bit unsure about how to address his Professor, "D-dad." Not Grandpa Weasley, not Uncle Fred. Dad. His dad.

"I have something for you."

Alex noticed hands hidden behind his father's back. "You have something for me?"

Reading the book, he found out the Malfoy's were rich even beyond what the Weasley's had. Though he couldn't imagine ever needing as many galleons that the book said were hidden in the Malfoy family's Gringotts vault. Alex wouldn't complain if getting presents from his dad was going to be the norm . He would enjoy it. But Grandma and Grandpa Weasley wouldn't be too happy.

"I-I was hoping you'd want these back."

Never had Alex heard the man that was sitting before him stutter. In front of class his father was nothing but cool, calm, collected and a tad bit intimidating.

The Monster Book of Monsters and the broomstick were presented to him, which Alex gladly took. Immediately he felt sorry for ever having thrown them in his father's face. He reached for his father and hugged him. In return his father hugged him until he practically couldn't breathe. It was the best hug Alex ever had in his life, well except for Grandma Molly's hugs, and he didn't want it to end. He felt so good inside, like when he got a good grade or when he beat his Uncle Ron at chess.

"You'll be around, forever?" It seemed too good to be true when he found out that Professor Malfoy was his father. Professor Malfoy didn't do those evil things to his mum that everyone else thought he did. His father loved his mum and loved him too.

"Always." Draco said softly. Alex could almost see tears form at his father's eyes. Alex was about to hand him a tissue when his father pulled another gift from behind his back.

"This is from your girlfriend." Draco said in a teasing tone.

Alex could only roll his eyes. "Yuck Dad. That's gross!" Alex was mortified at Casey Wood's card, turning Weasley red at his father's laughter.

"I swear Dad, she is not my girlfriend!" Casey was acting more and more peculiar with each passing day. This was not the first time she had sent him a card with hearts inside. He was pleased with the chocolate frogs, though.

"Look Dad, I have Uncle Harry!" Now it was his father's turn to look mortified as he proudly displayed the Harry Potter card. He knew from Uncle Ron and Harry that animosity ran deep between them and Professor Malfoy. One day he would have to ask his mum and dad how it ever came to be that he was even born.

"Dad….." Alex was about to ask the question he had been too frightened to ask when he had awoken. What if it had been a dream? Alex had his dad now, but he wanted so much more. Was it selfish to want his mum as well? He crossed his fingers hoping that the perfect dream he had last night hadn't been a dream at all. She was here. His mum had slept right next to him, talking to him and singing to him.

"Is my mum here at Hogwarts?"

Alex pumped his fist in the air when his father silently nodded his head. For the first time the usually quiet boy made a loud cheer he had heard his cousins make when the Canons won.

Grandma Weasley was right. Wishes do come true.

***

The day he received his Hogwarts letter was the day he made his wish. It was his eleventh birthday and a warm July day called for an outside party Everyone was there, Uncle Bill and Aunt Fleur, Uncles Fred, George and their wives, Uncle Ron and Aunt Padma, Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione and all his cousins. Picnic tables were set up in the newly deknomed garden. Alex had tried to help his Uncles get rid of stray knomes that very morning but Grandma Weasley forbid him.

"No chores for the birthday boy!"

Alex gladly complied.

Mountains of his favorite foods were laden on the tables and piles of gifts overflowed on another. Alex's favorite part of the party, by far, was the Quidditch game he played with his uncles and aunts. He wanted to play chaser like his mum, but had to settle for playing a seeker since Aunt Alicia and Angelina decided they wanted to relive old times. Alex found himself playing seeker opposite Uncle Harry Potter.

Amazingly, Alex caught the snitch although he had the sneaky suspicion Uncle Harry let him.

"I sware I didn't Alex. It was all you."

"Ginny was one hell of a seeker the one year she played, before Harry up and stole the position back. Looks like you inherited all her skills." Ron added which brought a smile to Alex's face.

Was he really like his mum? Since finding out that his father was not the war hero he had imagined him to be, Alex tried to find anything and everything that made him a Weasley. He loved animals like his late uncle Charlie, started a muggle collection which included electrical plugs, a fellytone, and numerous other objects that was starting to rival Grandpa Weasley's. Grandpa Weasley had even built a storage shed for Alex's hobby. One thing Alex looked forward to was when Uncle Ron would come over to play chess. Now he could add Quidditch to the long line of Weasley traits.

Uncles George had his own piece of advice, "Recruit this kid to the Canons now." He turned to Alex mussing up his blond hair ,"Think Grandma Weasley will let you skip Hogwarts?"

"What's this about skipping Hogwarts?" Molly interjected while floating more trays of food to the table.

"I'm not going Gran. I'm going to live with you and Grandpa forever." His uncles laughed but Alex did not. He was quite serious. Why did he have to go? Couldn't he be taught at home? He didn't want to leave the Burrow and most of all Alex did not want to leave his grandparents.

Everett and Edmund would go on and on about how excited they were to get back to Hogwarts. Alex was not as enthused at the prospect.

"I'm serious Gran." Alex whispered. "I - I don't want to go to Hogwarts."

Molly bent down so that she was eye level with Alex, "Why wouldn't you want to go to Hogwarts?" She looked from Alex's angelic face to Arthur's concerned one. How she wished she could keep Alex at home, though she musn't let him know that. Admittedly she was a bit overprotective of her favorite grandson. He was a little bit of Charlie, Percy and so very much like Ginny. Grieving over her lost children, she was given comfort in the birth of Alex.

"You and Grandpa will be alone! Who will take care of you?" Alex's mouth drew down and he chewed on his bottom lip. "You need me." Who was going to help Grandma plant flowers in the garden or help grandpa take apart Muggle fellytones?

Molly's heart squeezed just then. How right he was. They needed him and Alex desperately needed and wanted them. "Oh honey, we'll be ok. Don't worry about us. Your grandpa and I are experts at this. We've practically sent a whole Quidditch team to Hogwarts. We'll be with you always." Molly pointed to his heart, "We're right in there, whenever you need us."

Alex frowned studying his feet, apparently still not the happy birthday boy.

Ever the expert in all her years of mothering, Molly could see that something else was bothering her grandson. "Ok fess up, what else is bothering you?"

"What if I don't get into Gryffindor, what if………..what if I'm in Slytherin?" Alex had been plagued by worries since the start of the summer. Edmund and Everett told him about the sorting hat. Edmund and Everett joked that Alex was destined to be a Hufflepuff. But a Hufflepuff would be better than being a Slytherin. It was a Slytherin that hurt his mum and Alex didn't want to hurt anyone.

Arthur encircled his grandson in a enormous hug, "It won't matter one bit to me and your Grandma."

"Promise?" Alex's voice wavered slightly.

"Promise." Arthur affirmed while pulling out a muggle plug, "I was going to save this for later, but you can have this present early."

"Cool grandpa!" That would bring his plug collection to almost 70. He would beat his grandfather's collection for sure. Already he was halfway there.

Molly pleased to see the beaming smile on her grandson decided now was the perfect time for birthday cake. "Birthday boy, would you like to accompany your dear old gran to the kitchen to get your cake?"

***

Grandma Molly had made his favorite, chocolate cake with chocolate icing and chocolate chips. What they found in the kitchen was quite a sight. Edmund and Everett had charmed the cake to erupt a lava flow of chocolate that made a mess of the kitchen floor. Grandma Molly was raging mad, instructing Edmund and Everett to clean the floor till it was spotless.

"You'll be the death of me! Fred and George didn't even prepare me for you two!" she muttered as she left the kitchen with the cake.

Edmund and Everett spent a good deal of the party cleaning up the mess. Alex should have followed his grandmother but he could only stare at the chocolate spectacle that used to be the Weasley kitchen.

"Cousin, you gotta try this!" Edmund said as he skated on a floor of chocolate.

For twelve year olds, they were pretty immature. How they managed to become 2nd years was beyond his comprehension.

Always cautious Alex headed for the door not intending to once again get into trouble with his cousins. "I don't know……" Everett didn't listen pushing his cousin along the chocolate surface.

Edmund and Everett were right. This was fun! Alex slid across the kitchen falling into the chocolate mess. It was everywhere. In his clothes, his hair, and on his face. Cleaning up was never this fun or tasty!

"Alexander Charles Weasley! Everyone is waiting for you to blow out your birthday candles and here you are making a right mess of yourself!"

Alex hung his head at his Grandma's scolding tone. He wasn't used to having his grandma yell at him. Alex always tried to be good, and really, it wasn't all that hard. But with Edmund and Everett as cousins, staying good became increasingly difficult. The only other time she yelled at him was when he brought a stray Hippogriff home.

"I'm sorry Grandma." And Alex sincerely meant it. What if Gran decided to punish him now? He wouldn't be able to blow out his candles and make the one wish he made since the day he was four

With hands on her hips, Molly pointed a warning finger at her grandsons,"Clean up this mess and no underage magic. Is that understood?"

Alex immediately grabbed a bucket and a sponge. Who wanted to make some silly wish anyway? That was for babies and wishes never came true.

A softer tone of voice was directed at Alex, "Not you birthday boy." She waved her wand at Alex leaving a sparklingly clean little boy who nevertheless reeked of chocolate.

"Don't you want me to help? Just cut the cake Gran. I'm too old to make wishes." There was his excuse. Why set himself up for more disappointment? Every time he visited his mum in St.Mungo's, Alex kept wishing she would awaken. How many times had he wished so hard it felt as if his head might explode? What happened? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Sometimes she would scream and it scared him. Sometimes she would cry and it saddened him. Never did she wake.

"Too old to make wishes? Sound just like your Uncle Percy, you do."

Alex didn't mind the comparison. It only reminded him that he was a Weasley, through and through.

"If I could go back to my Percy, I would try and instill in him the importance of having a little fun now and then. He was always so prim and proper. Just like you, Alex. All work and no play he was. You just don't know when……….." Molly looked away not wanting to start crying in front of her grandchild. Too many tears were shed in the Weasley household since the war. Today would not be a day for sadness.

He saw his grandma's eyes taking on a distant look. She was thinking of Uncle Percy. The last thing Alex wanted was for his grandma to cry. Alex wrapped his small arms around his grandmother, "Don't cry grandma, don't cry."

"I just want you to be a happy boy Alex." Molly said wiping a stray tear hat had escaped. "Grandpa and I want all your dreams to come true." Molly held out her hand to him, "Come on and let's blow out those candles."

Alex took her hand. If grandma believed then he ought to believe too. Applause and cheers went up as Alex exited the house followed by two chocolate covered cousins.

How was he ever going to blow out all the candles? It looked like his cake was on fire. Grandma Molly gave a disapproving glance towards Uncles Fred and George. Instantly the flames died down leaving only small flickers of light.

"Make your wish!"

Alex closed his eyes, drowning out the sounds of his family urging him on. If he listened hard enough he could hear his mother's gentle voice telling him how much she loved him.

It seemed so real. But it was his imagination wasn't it?

Silently he said the wish he'd wished so many timed before, "I wish for my mummy."

***

"Are you going to marry her, make it all proper?"

How could he tell Alex when he couldn't face the truth himself? Alex was so happy, Draco had been happy. Draco couldn't believe it. Alex had accepted him with no hesitation. The last thing Draco wanted to do was break the spell of happiness between father and son.

Why couldn't Ginny remember all those nights they had spent together?

"Dad, what's wrong?" Alex asked with concern etched in his eleven year old face.

No matter how hard he tried to mask his emotions, Alex saw right through. Draco Malfoy wasn't known to wear his heart on his sleeve. Alex was much more perceptive than he imagined. You definitely get that from Ginny. "I want to marry your mum."

"What's stopping you?"

This was one question Draco didn't want to answer. He shouldn't have to burden his son. But he needed to know before things got out of hand and hopes ran too high. "Your mum, she- she doesn't remember me. I mean, she remembers me from Hogwarts but she doesn't remember when we were…."

Alex finished his sentence, "Mum doesn't remember loving you?"

Draco nodded.

Alex bit his bottom lip, "Can't you make her. You're a professor. Please father, can't you?"

Draco could only wish it was that easy. Years of going over spells and potions hadn't brought back Professor Snape's memories. In St. Mungo's the one time potion master sat in a chair sputtering nonsense. "It's not that easy, Alex."

"Why can't you just tell her?" Alex whispered, his voice barely audible.

Draco's throat clogged with emotion, but he swallowed heavily. Ginny had said she loved him so long ago. Now when he was ready to tell her he loved her, always loved her, Ginny did not love him in return. "Your mummy's been through a lot. I - we have to give her some time."

After a few seconds of silence, Alex said miserably "That means-that means I can't call you dad."

Draco wanted to mess his hair, try to say something funny,or perhaps give him a gift, anything at all that would make the look of utter disappointment disappear from his son's face.

The Malfoy of old would have pretended that what he shared with Ginny hadn't mattered. Draco Malfoy from twelve years ago would have denied that the Weasley girl had stolen his heart. But he could not. Ginny was the mother of his child and whether she knew it or not, would always be a part of his life.

***

Ginny stared into the medical wing at Draco Malfoy and her son. Her first instinct had been to scoop Alex into her arms and run. Seeing the two sitting next to each other was strange and frightening. Ginny couldn't hear them but she could see the excitement in Alex as he pumped his arm in the air. What he was excited about Ginny didn't know, though she suspected it was the many presents Draco had brought her son. She would have a talk about that with him, but not in front of Alex. Hermione was right. Alex truly did like his Professor. From her vantage point she could see the admiration in Alex eye's for the man she despised.

Unease inched down Ginny's spine. Alex and Malfoy looked so comfortable sitting next to each other as if that's how it was supposed to be.

It should be her in there comforting him. Not Draco Malfoy, a bloody deatheater. Was she not Alex's mother? Ginny tried to recall how her mum acted when she and her brothers had a bad spill. Yesterday Ginny had gone completely on instinct, but today she had too much time to think.She was a mother. The thought made her lightheaded. When she returned to her room after leaving her son, it had been impossible to sleep. The entire night was spent tossing and turning wondering how a mother should act and wondering how to communicate with an eleven year old.

Teaching a class of first years was one thing. Being a mother to one was completely different.

As soon as she stepped into the medical wing, both blond heads turned towards her. "Alex, it's me, mummy."

Alex didn't seem too happy to see her. Was it too late for Ginny and Alex? Ginny hoped not.

Draco promptly stood up, "Just dropping off homework for your son, Professor Weasley. I'll be going now."

Doubts nipped at Ginny. Alex should be thrilled to see her but his saddened expression told her otherwise. If it made Alex happy then she would sacrifice her own feelings. That's what mother's did. Ginny sighed lowering herself to sit on Alex's narrow cot. Like second nature she wrapped an arm to draw him close.

"Professor Malfoy, you don't have to go. Please………stay."

Ginny was instantly rewarded with a tiny smile from her son which warmed her from her head to her toes. Her first decision as a mother and it had been correct, at least Ginny hoped so. Maybe just as Hermione advised, she should be civil to Malfoy. She would do absolutely anything to make Alex's face light up just as it was now.

"My next class starts in a few minutes. Really I must get going. I'll see you in class Alex." He shared a smile with Alex and nodded politely towards Ginny before striding towards the exit.

She never did thank him for what he did. "I need to talk to your Professor, Mummy will be right back." She gave Alex a quick kiss on the cheek before running after Malfoy.

Ginny didn't notice Alex's fist pump up in the air in a silent cheer.

TBC - (I'll try to fit all this in my next chapter) Draco and Ginny have a talk, Mom and son start to bond, A family trip to Hogsmeade, Alex makes a x-mas wish, Ginny and Alex visit Snape.

Upcoming flashback - How Draco and Ginny got together in the dungeons