Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

"Draco!"

Draco hesitated as he neared the end of the corridor, the familiar voice calling out to him.

"Draco!"

A Ginny Weasley who hated him would not call him Draco. His heart started to pound a little faster. Was it possible? Had all those nights together finally come back to her? Slowly he turned to face Ginny as she walked towards him. Looking at her was like trying to look at a bright light after being in darkness. It had been that way, so many long years ago in the dungeon prison. Time had not changed his want and need for her. Draco wanted to kiss her, the way he wanted to kiss her for so long. Already he was lost in the sweet scent of her as she drew closer. Draco could picture Ginny beneath him as his fingers tangled in her silky red hair. Tonight after 12 years Draco would attempt to make up for everything he had and hadn't done. All his failures and his past cowardice would be forgiven in Ginny's embrace.

The sweet daydream of their reunion was broken at Ginny's next words, "Malfoy, may I speak with you please."

Draco's face fell. Damn her! Why can't she remember just one night! His hands were tempted to make her remember. He wanted to press her against the cool stone wall, his hardness melting into the softness that once welcomed him. Draco would trace the contours and curves he knew so well as Ginny arched against him…………………..

"Well Malfoy, is that a yes or a no?"

Ginny tapped her foot impatiently leaving Draco to wonder how long he had been lost in thought. Quickly composing himself Draco shoved his hands into his cloak pockets. If he didn't control himself he would touch her whether she wanted it or not.

Anger washed over him as he struggled to keep his voice emotionless, "Yes, of course Professor Weasley."

***

"Draco." Ginny had said. It had slipped from her mouth. She was not on a first name basis with the man and did not plan to be. Yet the name had rolled from her tongue. There had been nothing foreign about his name. It felt natural, as if she had been saying his name her whole life.

What Ginny saw in his eyes, for a fraction of a second, gave her pause. Fire burned behind his gaze. Ginny could feel it's frightening heat. Her actions this morning must have upset him, but Ginny refused to apologize. The wounds were too deep and fresh to allow even normal pleasantries. Draco Malfoy deserved much worse and now he was about to receive more than she wanted to give.

"I- I just wanted to say thank you for helping Alex yesterday."

"Help me!" She screamed. Blankets were thrown to the floor as she tried to cover her nakedness. Her eyes opened in the dim light to see men in black robes surrounding a bed that was not her own.

Ginny began to shake as the horrid images built in her mind. "Why didn't you help me? Why?" Her mind asked the question she didn't know she was saying.

One of the deatheaters grabbed her, apparently enjoying the struggle she made. He fondled her breasts as she tried to push away from him.

"The dark lord calls sir." Another deatheater who had stood quiet finally spoke. He picked up a torn garment from the floor as he dragged Ginny out of the other deatheater's grasp. "Is that how you want to meet your brother's? Like some common whore? Get dressed and be quick about it."

"Help me" she whispered.

"Are you ok Ginny?"

"Ginny, please be ok, please be ok. I'm so sorry."

Her eyes opened to find the grey eyed deatheater kneeling next to her. Picking her up in his arms as if she was a fragile doll, he chanted, "Mors Mordre." The hated symbol of all that was evil glowed eerily in the night sky. "They'll be here soon Ginny." She should have been scared but Ginny for some odd reason was not.

Ginny's eyes fluttered open and a soft gasp escaped her. She found herself in the most precarious of positons. Draco Malfoy's arms were wrapped tightly around her waist, her head resting against his chest. At first she was in too much shock to move. Ginny felt confused by her unexpected response to his nearness and touch. Ginny should have felt awkward but she didn't. For the first time in a long time she felt comforted. It was a strange sensation, considering the man who held her. As Draco Malfoy's hands started to rub small circles down her back, whispering in her ear that everything would be alright, Ginny moved into motion.

Ginny pushed him harshly away, "Don't you ever touch me!" Closing her eyes Ginny tried momentarily to bring her emotions in order. Whatever occurred in those few seconds in which he held onto her had been quite unsettling. How or why it happened Ginny did not know, but it would not happen again.

"You fainted Weasley. Almost hit the ground you did! You should be grateful I was there to catch you!"

Folding her arms, Ginny tipped her chin challengingly, "I don't need help from the likes of you Malfoy. I'd rather have fallen!"

"So you'd rather I stand by while you injure yourself?!"

Ginny's voice rose echoing off the walls in the hallway, "Like you care Malfoy!"

He looked her squarely in the eye, enunciating each and every word, "I do care."

His admission took her by surprise. A caring Draco Malfoy was far removed from the Malfoy she knew at Hogwarts. War had changed Harry and Ron, why wouldn't it also impact Malfoy? From Ginny's research she found that his parents and friends were long since imprisoned or dead. Even after his release, the wizarding world still called for his head. Numerous atrocities were committed in the Deatheater prison of which it was reported that the younger Malfoy had taken part. None of which he denied. He was alone just as he should be. No longer was Draco Malfoy in the good graces of the wizarding world. If Ginny could help it, he never would be in hers or Alex's.

"If it's forgiveness that you seek I suggest you look elsewhere. I will not have you seeking salvation in me or my son!"

"What are you going to do then Professor Weasley? Take him out of DADA class?" Draco added dryly, "I assure you, Headmisstress Potter will never allow it."

"I'll take him out of Hogwarts!"

"You'd interrupt his education just to spite me? Not a very good mother are you Weasley?" he smirked at her just then, making Ginny want to wipe it off his face.

His words infuriated her, reminding Ginny of how inadequate she felt at being a mother. Ginny's own anger and hurt could no longer be controlled. Her hand came up connecting with his face, a sharp slap resounding in the hallway. "I hate you Draco Malfoy, I hate you!"

Ginny watched as he brought his own hand to cover the redness that was slowly spreading across his pale cheek. Unable to speak, Ginny stepped back, a heaviness centering in her chest at her actions. She clamped her lips imprisoning a sob. The knowledge twisted and turned inside her. For all the loss Ginny had suffered, she ought to hate Malfoy, but she didn't.

"Draco, I'm sorry." Once again the name had slipped from her, more comfortably than she would have liked. Why she apologized, Ginny didn't yet know.Was it the Gryffindor in her? She felt angry and upset. Her brother's had died. Snape had given himself up for her. With so many reasons, why couldn't she hate the man who stood in front of her? What was preventing her from unleashing all the pain she felt?

She heard him sigh heavily, his voice filled with what sounded very much like anguish, "Don't be sorry Ginny. I deserved it. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and hit me again. I won't stop you."

He was turning the incident around, trying to make her feel guilty when it should be him suffering from past wrongs. She refused to play his mind games, "Are you trying to punish me Malfoy? Make me feel as if I'm in the wrong? If you think that I'm going to……"

The words were abruptly cut off as he clutched at her wrists, "You think I want to punish you!" Draco said with a slight shake.

"Take your hands off me!" Ginny ordered. She would not be manhandled.Trying to yank away from his grasp only increased his tightening hold on her arms.

"You are going to listen to what I say Weasley!" Draco growled fiercely.

Ginny glared at him. She was no longer a prisoner and would not be treated as such. "Say what you have to say and leave me be Malfoy!" Hermione would definitely hear of this. Draco Malfoy being fired would be a very nice Christmas surprise.

Draco loosened his grip on her, "Everyday I pay for what I've done when I look at………" His eyes wandered over her shoulder and Ginny followed.

"Alex?" they both said in unison.

"What are you doing out of bed?" Ginny was surprised once again at the gentleness of Malfoy's voice. His lighthearted tone contrasted to the seriousness his voice had held earlier.

Alex bit his bottom lip, "I -I heard yelling."

Ginny didn't know what to say. She hesitated trying to find the right words. What a failure she was at parenting. How could she have let herself get carried away in a yelling match with Draco Malfoy? Alex looked to be on the verge of tears and Ginny had no idea what to do.

"Me and your mum were only arguing about who was going to win the quidditch cup. I said Slytherin, but your mum keeps going on and on about Gryffindor. I told your mum the only way Gryffindor would win will be when you join the team next year."

Alex looked hopeful as he pondered this bit of information for a few seconds, "Gryffindor will still win Da….Professor Malfoy. Edmund and Everett are on the team and they are the best beaters ever! Sometimes they let me play at home without hitting me with the bludger ."

"Sometimes! If they hit you with the bludger again, your dear old Professor will have some words with those cousins of yours. Your mum was a good Quidditch player, knocked me off my own broom without the bludger a couple of times."

Alex laughed tipping his head up to look at her, "Did you mummy?"

Ginny felt her hear stir watching Draco and Alex interact. He was a natural. Draco raised his eyes to meet hers and she couldn't help the tiny smile that curved her lips in gratitude. Turning towards Alex she answered, "Yes. Professor Malfoy was a pretty good seeker back in his day but he was no match for your mummy."

Draco Malfoy snickered at her comment but it was music to Ginny's ears. Was it just a few minutes ago they had been in the heat of an argument? Now they were sharing a laugh.

Ginny knelt down next to Alex, "I talked to Madame Pomfrey. If you feel better tomorrow morning, maybe we can go to Hogsmeade for some Christmas shopping!" She wanted to spend the day talking to him but was a bit afraid of boring her eleven year old son. Maybe Christmas shopping would be way to learn his likes and dislikes without Alex feeling pressured.

Alex frowned not saying anything. Ginny wondered if perhaps she had said something wrong. Were Hogsmeade trips no longer something to look forward to?

"First years aren't allowed to go to Hogsmeade. Aunt Mione said so."

Relief washed over Ginny. Mum had told her that Alex was a by the book little boy. "If one of your parents is a teacher, you are allowed to go wherever I take you. I've already asked Aunt Mione. She's ok with it. You can even bring a friend along."

A smile erupted on Alex's face, "I can take anyone? Anyone at all?"

"Anyone," Ginny nodded her head, happy to see how enthusiastic his response was. The sparkle and anticipation in his eyes made her want to grant whatever request he had. If he wanted to bring both his cousins she would endure their hyperactivity for a day. If he requested the entire school, she would bend over backwards to ensure that it happened.

"Professor Malfoy, will you come to Hogsmeade with me and my mum?" Alex asked, his brown eyes shining in excitement.

Draco's gaze locked with Ginny's. "If it's ok with your mum."

The most important thing was for Alex to be happy. She couldn't bear to see his bright smile dimmed. It was a wonder that Alex wasn't spoiled yet by his grandparents and his numerous aunts and uncles. Even his teachers seemed to be under Alex Weasley's spell. Ginny couldn't imagine refusing him anything without breaking her own heart in the process. How could she possibly say no?

Ginny forced herself to smile, hoping her lie sounded convincing to Alex. "We'd be delighted if you would come Professor Malfoy."

TBC: Alex's wish for X-mas