Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

Ginny tucked her sleeping son into his bed. He stirred a bit as she drew the covers more snugly around him. His reddened cheeks were still wet with fresh tears as he cried, "Please Father, don't leave."

Ginny sat on the edge of Alex's bed until he became silent, except for the soft sounds of his breathing. "Alex Weasley," Ginny whispered, "You are such a handsome boy." She brushed a wisp of blonde hair off his forehead and pressed another kiss in its place.

"Father!" he whimpered in his sleep, reaching his arms for someone who was only present in his dreams. "Don't go!"

Heavy emotions welled inside Ginny. Why were there no healing charms for a wounded soul? Pulling herself together she walked woodenly towards the door before turning back once again to drink in the sight of her son.

What if he hated her?

Molly, standing behind, nudged her daughter gently. "Ginny dear, Alex needs his rest. Come dowstairs, I've brewed some tea."

"Yes Mum." Ginny said keeping her eyes fixed on Alex. Her mind was spinning trying to adjust to everything that had happened, trying to let the fact sink in that Draco Malfoy had fathered her son. "Nox." She whispered and shut the door following her mother downstairs. Somber faces of her family greeted her. Never could Ginny remember a Christmas in the Burrow without laughter and gaiety. How much things had already changed.

Bill pulled out a chair for his sister, motioning for Ginny to take a seat. "Dad, Harry and Ron are still at the Ministry. They'll be here soon."

Ginny sat between her mother and Hermione, sharing an uneasy silence. No sounds were made except for the occasional chime of the clock. Even George and Fred were uncharacteristically quiet.

"We have things to discuss with you Ginny," Harry and Ron had told her before she portkeyed back to the Burrow with her parents and a sleeping Alex. "I know it will be late but it's important you hear them from us instead of others."

Ginny had been too tired to question what they meant. What more could they tell her? How much would she be able to take? All the Weasley grandchildren had been sent to bed. Whatever Harry and Ron had to share wouldn't be discussed amongst the children. It wouldn't prevent them from finding out what happened during the war, and soon Alex would be at the center of it all, unable to ever hide from what would be revealed. Ginny took a deep breath. She had her own questions and this time she wouldn't be afraid to face the answers.

Hermione reached out and placed her hands gently on Ginny's shoulders, "Before the story gets out, there are things about the past you need to know Ginny."

"What did you three keep from us!" Molly said angrily carrying in a tray with steaming mugs of hot tea and cookies for the family. "What else in Merlin's name can there possibly be?!"

Hermione stumbled looking away from Ginny, "We-we did what we thought was best. We did it to-"

"Protect Ginny," Ron finished stepping out from the fireplace with Harry and Arthur behind him, "We did it to protect you."

"Protect me? I was working with him, living next to him!" Ginny trembled, her cup shaking in her hand at the knowledge that someone so dangerous had been allowed the freedom to hurt her, "He was teaching my son!"

Arthur stood, chewing his lip shooting angry stares at both his son and Harry, "They've told me everything Ginny. There is much more that happened than even I and your mother were aware of." Arthur wiped a stray tear that escaped from his eyes, "Perhaps you can come to understand why they felt they had to hide this from us, from you and from Alex."

Molly shot Arthur a look fraught with worry. Crouching down beside Ginny's chair she took her daughter's hand willing for a sense of peace and calmness to surround her.

Ginny shook her head trying to make sense of it all, "Why…" Ginny managed in a hoarse whisper, "Why did you trust Draco Malfoy?"

*~*~*

No tears were shed. Ginny had none left. It was she who comforted her mum when more of the horrible truth was told to the rest of the family. Numbness filled her at Ron and Harry's account of her rescue. Winning the war had come at a terrible cost. Most of the prisoners had been massacred with only a handful of witches and wizards left for the Order to rescue.

Charlie and Percy had been the last of the bodies the Aurors had found along with their trusted spy who was no longer in his right mind.

"Twenty points from the both of you for coming to class late. Maybe detention will provide you and Weasley with lessons on punctuality!" Snape snapped at Harry while curiously eyeing the crying Ron.

Helplessness overwhelmed Ron as he slumped to the ground between the bodies of Percy and Charlie. He lowered his forehead into his hands and closed his eyes. "NO!"

"Ron…" Hermione said softly attempting to console her friend.

Hermione started to wrap her arms around him when Ron held up a hand to stop her and turned away. With his shoulders hunched, he cried tears for Luna, Percy and Charlie and a sister he was certain was dead.

"Ron," Harry said quietly placing a hand on his friend's shoulder, "I'm sorry."

A raw and primitive grief overwhelmed him, "Where's my sister? Where the hell is she?!"

Harry and Hermione shared pained glances. Teams of Aurors had swarmed the prison looking for the unaccounted prisoner, but Ginny Weasley was nowhere to be found.

The potion Professor's next remarks gave Ron a glimmer of hope, "I'd cry too if a Weasley ran off with a Malfoy. Silly children…" Snape muttered to no one in particular as he stared at an empty stairwell, "Run you fool, run!"

The broken remnants of what was once Diagon Alley welcomed them as Harry, Hermione and Ron emerged from the Death Eater stronghold. A vast wasteland was all that remained of a place that once teemed with wizards and witches. A lone sign blew in the wind, proof that at one time a store had indeed existed. The horizon became darker and menacing, thunder rolled through the night sky promising survivors that destruction was not yet over. Sheets of rain poured down threatening to obscure their vision.

It wasn't the scream of a young woman that caught their attention but the cries of a man in agony. A flash of lightening uncovered the sin of a man against woman. In the distance Harry and Ron could see the struggling figure of Draco Malfoy, and but a few feet away from the bound man, a sickening sight greeted them. An unmoving bruised and bloody Ginny lay beneath Lucius Malfoy as he violently writhed atop her.

In anger Ron raised his wand, "Avada…"

"No Ron! You might hit Ginny!" Hermione screamed.

Pointing his wand at Draco. Harry yelled a countercurse at the young blond man still dressed in the robes of the enemy. A most unlikely spy, who had turned sides at the very end of the greatest Wizarding War in history. Questions were raised. Sabotage many of the Aurors suspected. He was trying to bring down the Order, but surprisingly all his information had been accurate. Harry had no choice but to trust him.

From afar, Harry, Ron and Hermione raced on their brooms towards an unbound Draco. Grey eyes blazing, he leapt atop his father. Draco seemed to be in possession of superhuman strength as he flung the elder Death Eater against a brick wall. A flurry of punches was released but Lucius refused to show any pain, only smiling even more so at his son.

"I hate you!" Draco screamed as his fist connected with the face of the man he had loved more than anything, "I'm going to kill you!"

A satanic smile spread across Lucius' lips, "You wouldn't dare."

"Accio Wand!"

Draco grabbed the wand in midair pointing it at his father's heart.

"You're a coward Draco." Lucius drawled. "You can't kill me the same way you couldn't save that pretty little Weasley whore…"

A cry echoed through the night sky as Draco plunged his wand deep into his father's chest. Lucius looked down as blood trickled from his chin in shock and horror, sliding to the ground. Draco followed him, his shaking hands still clutching the wand oblivious to the three Aurors who had just landed behind him.

"Goodbye Father." While tears mingled with the rain running down his face Draco gave a final plunge of the blood soaked wand, chanting "Avada Kedavra."

*~*~*

A secret Ron, Harry and Hermione had shared with Draco to protect her.

A secret that won Draco Malfoy the trust of former enemies and assured his eventual freedom.

Ginny felt absolutely nothing at Harry and Ron's confession. Perhaps deep within her mind she had always known. Lucius was a cruel man with fierce hatred reserved for Muggles and unmatched ferocity for the Weasley family. Atrocities happen during times of war and Ginny knew this before volunteering, never once thinking it could be her. Always the victim would be another unseen face, never again would she play that role. But she had many more times than her memory would allow her to relive.

"My baby," Molly cried as she hugged her daughter, "My poor baby." Ginny couldn't relax in her mother's embrace, for it was not her who would need touches of assurance and love. Alex would be devastated. Twelve years ago Draco Malfoy had forced himself upon her and Alex had been the result. Soon her son and the whole of the Wizarding world would find out that she was raped by not only the father of her child but his grandfather as well.

Ginny withdrew from her mother's embrace at the sound of tapping at the window. An owl beckoned just outside, an edition of the Daily Prophet tied to its feet. She moved towards the window retrieving the paper and giving the owl a few treats in return. Ginny gripped the Daily Prophet in her hand, the vacant stare of Draco Malfoy looking back at her as he was led away into Azkaban.

DEATH EATER CONFESSESS

By. Parvati Longbottom

An apologetic Draco Malfoy was taken into custody Wednesday evening for the sexual assault of Virginia Weasley, daughter of Minster of Magic Arthur Weasley and his wife Molly Weasley. The assault took place during Sunday evening Dec 23 in the victim's quarters at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizadry where both are instructors. The former Death Eater confessed to the crime immediately upon being brought to the Ministry for questioning.

Draco Malfoy is also being charged in the rape of Virginia Weasley more than a dozen years ago in the notorious Death Eater Prison, Mors Mortis, in which both her brothers: Percy Weasley, a former employee of the Ministry and Charlie Weasley, dragon trainer, died. Draco Malfoy is denying the rape of Miss Weasley claiming that sex was consensual between both parties.

A paternity test performed on the DADA Professor and Virginia Weasley's son Alex who is currently in his first year at Hogwarts were conclusive to the fact that Draco Malfoy had fathered the child.

A Ministry inquiry has been launched into the reasoning behind Draco Malfoy's release from Azkaban 11 years ago. Mr Malfoy was freed due to the efforts of Ronald Weasley and Harry Potter, former highly decorated Aurors who now play for the Chudley Canons. New evidence has emerged that Virginia Weasley was raped and beaten by Lucius Malfoy after the defeat of Voldemort. For the past 12 years Miss Weasley was comatose and this attack may very well prove to be the cause.

An undisclosed source states that Draco Malfoy murdered his father after the vicious rape on Virginia Weasley. Speculation has arisen as to why Draco Malfoy committed patricide.

A close acquaintance of the family gave these comments, "He lied to us. Draco Malfoy killed his father to serve his own purposes, to prove he was on our side. And we believed him."

Ronald Weasley under duress attacked Draco Malfoy with an unforgivable curse. The Ministry has agreed to waive punishment on Ronald Weasley's behalf due to the sensitive nature of the crime committed against his sister. When Draco Malfoy was asked whether Ronald Weasley should also be sent to Azkaban for his misuse of unauthorized and deadly magic, the former Death Eater answered no.

Rape carries a serious penalty of the Dementor's kiss, whereas Malfoy's assault conviction may only earn him a few years behind the walls of Azkaban. When Arthur Weasley was asked what punishment he would seek for his daughter's attacker he replied, "Let the wizards and witches of the wizarding world decide."

Hermione Potter, Headmistress of Hogwarts, and friend of the Weasley's had this to add, "The Dementor's Kiss is wrong in principle and unjust in application. As a magical community of law abiding citizens we must move together beyond the use of the Dementor's Kiss as a means to deal with the accused. Research has proven that this punishment has not been shown to be a deterrent to crime. The wrongful application of the Dementor's Kiss to an innocent person is an injustice that can never be rectified."

When asked if she was putting forth the suggestion that Draco Malfoy's life be spared, Hermione Potter only responded with, "No comment."

"All my sister wants is justice," Ronald Weasley said, "We are going to ensure that happens by whatever means necessary."

Ginny threw the paper onto the table. Ron grabbed the Daily Prophet immediately scanning the article with his brothers and their wives. "At least we all know where you stand Hermione." Ron said acidly.

Hermione's calm features immediately became startled, "Ginny, please. I'm here for you. I support you, but as the accused Malfoy still has rights."

It was Harry who confronted his wife, "Hermione, now is not the time to push this agenda of yours."

"This isn't SPEW Hermione! This isn't about elf rights. Malfoy deserves nothing less than the Dementor's Kiss for what he did! He pulled the wool over all our eyes and was able to walk freely at our expense. Because of our blindness he hurt Ginny again. Or does she not matter? What about the rights of the victim?" Ron's eyes snapped in anger "Do those count at all?"

"I think it would be better if you left Hermione." Molly said bitterly.

"No." Ginny said blocking the fireplace, "Hermione doesn't have to leave." This was supposed to be a special Christmas not just for her but for Alex. It was too late for a Happy Christmas. Her world was rapidly crumbling around her, ruined. She needed the stability of her loved ones, and Hermione although not bonded by blood was family. Hermione was her sister and her confidante. Who else could she talk to about the misgivings, irrational feelings and thoughts she was experiencing about Draco Malfoy. Why didn't Hermione believe in his guilt?

Hermione gave a forced smile to Ginny,and the rest of the Weasley's. "Actually I really must be getting back to Hogwart's. I left Professor Sinistra in charge. As Headmistress it's my duty in times like these to oversee the school." Hermione nodded to Harry who strode towards the fireplace, "Stay here Harry. No need to cut your holiday short too. I'll see you tonight."

A pinch of floo powder later and Hermione was transported away in a cloud of smoke. "She didn't have to leave." Ginny whispered leaning against the empty fireplace. "No more arguing, no more talk about what happened." Ginny didn't want to hear anything else, didn't want any more reminders of the horror that had occurred, there were too many of those already. The past was over and done with. All that was left now was to deal with the present.

*~*~*

The sun's warm rays filtered through Alex's window, awakening the sleeping boy. Mornings at the burrow always filled him with happiness and warmth. But the memories of the night before left him with a bewildering sense of loss. Alex walked across his room to his desk writing a quick letter before sending it off with his owl perched outside the window. Waving to the bird as it flew off he wished it a safe journey.

Closing the window he sensed something was amiss. The Burrow was never quiet. He crept down the stairs to an empty kitchen. "Grandma Molly? Grandpa?" Alex's small voice asked only to hear nothing in return. Alex's eyes wandered around the parlor that was devoid of Weasley's except for the faint scent of Aunt Fleur's perfume. He followed the scent to the front door, opening it to see numerous fresh tracks in the snow.

Every year after Christmas the whole family went sledding. Never had he missed a day of fun in the snow with his family. But they had left him. He slowly trudged back to the kitchen stopping in his tracks at the sight of his father staring back at him. "Father!" he whispered sliding into a chair to read about the man he missed so much he felt as if his heart would break.

Slowly the realization crept upon him. His family hated him. After reading the article Alex hated himself. Tears trickled from his eyes smearing the ink on the paper. He crumpled up the paper, tearing it into tiny pieces before finally throwing it into the fireplace. "Incendio!"

Alex still refused to believe that his father would hurt his mum. No, Father loves Mum, just as much as he loves me. It had to be a mistake. Alex looked at the small bruises on his wrists. Whatever his father did Alex was sure he hadn't meant to hurt her just like his mum hadn't meant to hurt him.

He had looked forward to the day when he could become Alex Malfoy, proud to be the son of Draco Malfoy. Now the name was tainted and evil and the whole world had always known, except for him. Grandma Molly had told him that she would always love him no matter what, that it didn't matter how he came to be. But she had lied. They couldn't love him. How could they even look at him after the horrible things his grandfather had done to his mother.

Alex hugged his knees to himself, squinting into the dying flames wishing he could disappear. Would they give Father the Dementor's Kiss? Then he would be truly alone for he was sure his father was the only one who loves him. "I don't want you to die." Alex cried letting the tears run freely down his face. "You can't leave me."

Arms came around him and Alex found himself enveloped in his mother's embrace. Mum hadn't left him. He leaned into Ginny pressing his lips together trying to still his quivering chin. Alex allowed his mum to wipe the tears away even as more followed. He wouldn't let himself look at her. Alex kept his eyes downcast afraid that she would see the Malfoy in him and hate him for it.

"Do you…" Alex finally dared to look up at the mother he had wished many years for. He whispered the question that weighed heavily on his mind, afraid of the answer he would receive, "Do you love me?"

Dear Merlin, she loved this child.

The vulnerability in her son's eyes broke Ginny's heart. She touched the little boy's silky cheek catching a stray tear with her thumb. She could barely get the words out as she brushed at her own eyes. "Yes Alex. I love you. No matter what happened in the past and what happens in the future I want you to know this Alex, I will always love you."

"B-but" Alex stammered struggling to get the words out, "E-everyone is gone. They left me. Grandma Molly left me, Grandpa…"

She rocked him back in forth in her arms, swallowing to dispel the lump in her throat. "Sssh, honey you were still sleeping. They didn't want to wake you. Besides, I wanted some alone time with you. Was that ok?"

There had been another reason the family decided to let Alex sleep in. Reporters had swarmed Ottery St. Catchpole hoping for a glimpse of the newly discovered Malfoy child. Fierceness and protectiveness surged through her when Fred had spotted the first of many reporters on the Weasley Property. Alex would not be fodder for their gossip columns.

His expression was troubled as he looked at her, "You wanted to spend time with just me?"

Ginny's stomach flipped over. No child should ever question a parent about their love. How had she filled Alex with such doubt about her feelings towards him? There was much to make up for and Ginny intended to do just that. Her son would need her now more than ever. "Yes Alex, just you and me." She drew him in tighter, rubbing his back, trying to absorb her son's pain. "I love you Alex so very much."

*~*~*

Am I dead? Draco could hear nothing but silence, nor his heartbeat or breathing. Even as the thought formed, waves of pain wracked his body assuring him that he was very much alive. Draco lay awake in the darkness of his cell trying not to think of the pain, his mind wandering the paths that had once again led him to Azkaban.

There was not a witch or wizard who was untouched by war in some way. Everyone had a connection to friends or family members who died at the hands of the Death Eaters. Draco was never one to give up control and now he was in the domain of wizards who sought revenge for past sins. Dementors were only used for executions, no longer inside the prison walls save for the day of death. Wizard guards could be just as cruel and even more calculating than their predecessors. This time, without Potter and Weasley's protection he would be vulnerable. But he refused to beg for mercy.

It had taken three of the Azkaban guards to hold him down while they doled out their punishment of bruises, cuts, and broken bones. Ah, Merlin, everything hurt. How much longer would he have to hold out? His feet and hands were swollen, exquisitely painful. The next time would be much worse.

The next time came soon enough. Draco jolted upright on his cot as the door of his cell slid open facing a guard whose badge read Hawthorne. Hawthorne was a muscular man with a deep scar that ran down the down the left side of what could have been a handsome face, from the bottom of his eyelid down to his chin. A glass eyeball that eerily reminded Draco of Professor Moody had replaced where his left eye should have been.

The guard tapped the heavy baton in his hand as he paced the small confines of the cell, "Do you remember me Malfoy?"

"Yes, if my memory still serves me correctly I have you to thank for my black eye." drawled Draco, "and you have me to thank for yours." Draco refused to play punching bag for a lowly guard. Hadn't he already paid dearly for his wrongdoings? He would not be used to atone for all the sins of Voldemort's followers.

"Such a smart mouth you have there Death Eater. Watch what you say or I shall have my friends join me for a repeat of the little party we had earlier."

"Yes, don't forget to send me an invitation." Draco said coolly his face never betraying the growing unease brewing inside him.

Hawthorne shot him a twisted smile, "I have something much better and maybe, just maybe I will let you have it if you show me some respect."

Draco said nothing. He would not play into the guard's games for he was prepared. Whatever response he gave would lead to the same result. Draco knew all too well the look and feel of impending violence for he had once played the part and now he would pay.

A piece of parchment paper was waved enticingly in the air in front of him, "Looks like you have some family after all Malfoy. This letter arrived in the owl post today." A thin smile spread across the guard's lips as he opened the letter and started to read. "Dear Father, I miss you, blah, blah, blah, Love Alex Malfoy."

"That's my letter!" Draco gritted looking up at Hawthorne through swollen eyes. Draco could see his son's innocent brown eyes and the goodness they held, so unlike his own. He needed this connection to his son and would not allow it to be taken away. Struggling to his feet he reached for what was his.

Hawthorne beckoned another guard awaiting beyond the bars of his cell. A swift kick met his back as the guard entered, causing Draco to fall face first onto the floor, the coppery taste of blood filling Draco's mouth. "I have rights damn you!"

"You lost all your rights the moment you had that skull burned into your skin!"

With much effort Draco pushed himself up spitting flecks of blood. "GIVE ME MY LETTER!"

"GIVE ME BACK MY PARENTS!" Hawthorne shouted. "I was eight when your people attacked my home. The Death Eaters killed my mother and forced me to watch. Called her a traitor for marrying, in your own words, a Mudblood. But it wasn't enough was it?" Hawthorne's voice rose with each and every word. "THE DEATH EATERS TOOK MY FATHER AWAY INTO THAT PRISON OF YOURS AND NEVER DID I SEE HIM AGAIN! I WAS LEFT AN ORPHAN WITH THESE REMINDERS!" he traced the scar that ran the length of his face.

Draco blanched scrubbing his face as if he could wash away his sins. He froze into blankness. Sorry would never be enough. Not to Ginny, not to Alex and not to the man who stood before him. The wrongdoings he had committed and the sins he had condoned would follow him the rest of his life. The past could not be changed.

A chill ran through Draco spine at the guard's sadistic laugh. "May your demon seed of a child meet the same fate as all your victims!" A firm boot landed on Draco's wrist causing it to snap.

"Aaah!" Draco grimaced, clutching his broken wrist, firmly to his chest. He was trapped in Azkaban unable to protect his son from the hurt he would surely face, "You leave my son out of this!"

Draco lunged for Hawthorne, who only shared a knowing smile with the other guard. The crack of the baton echoed in the room, meeting the base of Draco's skull. He slid to the floor opening his eyes to find his prison cell blurred and out of focus. The urge to vomit was upon him as he wretched violently on the cold floor.

"You may learn in the next few days that death can be a blessing." The other guard stated as his mouth took on an unpleasant twist. Hawthorne used his boot to turn Draco over. Instinctively Draco curled into a ball as a flurry of kicks and punches from both guards met his face, stomach, limbs, and back. This was not the first time they beat him and it would not be the last.

To be continued - Ginny and Alex visit Azkaban.

Hermione makes a discovery

Another shoutout to my betareader VioletJersey. Your help means so much! Salamat, Agyamanak