Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

In one unthinking moment Draco had bared his soul. She wasn't ready. For a fraction of a second, before succumbing again to the desire to kiss her once more, he had told Ginny the words he had been too afraid to tell her so long ago. I love you Ginny. How ironic that when he had been ready to tell her, her mind wasn't willing to listen.

Now Alex wanted his mother to echo the same sentiments. He was setting his son up for disappointment. Draco felt like kicking himself. Already he could read the look of confusion on Alex's face. One glance at Alex caused pain to stab his heart. The light that had shown only a few minutes before in Alex's eyes had dimmed.

The silence seemed to stretch for an eternity broken only by Alex's soft mumbling, "But Father Christmas told me………..he told me it was happening."

Ginny's gaze met Draco's. No smile, no reaction at all. The passion he had seen moments before was gone. "What I would love is for Professor Malfoy to spend the rest of the day at Hogsmeade with us."

Change of subject. End of story. It wasn't what Draco wanted to hear but he hadn't been expecting it either. The ghosts of his past made sure of that. Was it not his fault that she had been hurt? They were punishing him for all the sins he had committed, teasing him with glimpses of what should have been.

But it could still be.

Kissing Ginny after all those years had been better than he remembered. Her taste left him wanting much more. Something physical still existed between them, at least he felt it. Ginny had to have felt it too. If she didn't………Dammit, he would make her.

Draco Malfoy wasn't going to slink away like the coward he had been twelve years ago. Too afraid of Lucius to protect Ginny, he watched in horror as his own father stripped off her robes. She screamed for help as the deatheaters laughed at her pleas for mercy. Her brothers wouldn't save her. The great Harry Potter wasn't coming. But it was not them she cried out in vain to. Ginny was crying out for him.

Draco had answered, far too late. He had been trying to keep Ginny and himself safe by controlling his emotions and feelings. None of what he tried to do mattered in the end. He had failed not only her but their unborn baby. Ginny was already gone to him and wouldn't return for many years, and his son kept from his sight. Now they were both sitting next to him. So very close yet so far. Draco wanted them, not just for one day but forever.

Ginny eyed Draco. Her brown eyes seemed to be searching for something. "You will be coming with us, won't you?"

No chance in hell Draco would pass up extra time with Alex and Ginny. He needed to make her remember and hoped that this was the chance he had been waiting for. "Yes." was his simple reply. Definitely a yes.

She reached across to their son ruffling his hair, "You'd like that wouldn't you Alex?"

Draco watched as Alex's eyes filled with hope. "Very much so Mum."

"Well, we'd better be going, we have lots of shopping to do!" Ginny said looking everywhere except where Draco willed her to look, himself.

Draco summoned their cloaks and a few minutes later the somber threesome strolled quietly along down Hogsmeade. Neither of them saying a word. Alex looked every bit the disappointed boy. The energy and happiness he had possessed earlier seemed to have disappeared.

Draco could only curse himself silently. Everything had been going so well for the three of them. What a difference from a few minutes ago. To all other eyes they had been the perfect family. But I ruined it, just like I ruined their lives long ago.

"Where's my mum?" Alex asked, his face wide eyed with concern.

Broken out of his reverie Draco realized Ginny was nowhere in sight. She couldn't have gone far. Did she slip into a store without telling him or Alex? It didn't seem like something Ginny would do. Perhaps she was tired and had fallen behind. Before he could turn around to look for Ginny, Draco felt a cold and wet object hit the back of his head. "Ouch!" An obvious Hogwarts delinquent had dared throw a snowball. Whoever it was would have detention all year long. Draco whirled around to face the offending student, "THAT'S TWENTY POINTS AND DETENTION!"

Draco was surprised to find a laughing Ginny armed with another snowball. She winked at him before sending another snowball sailing his way yet again. "No fair Weasley! I'm unarmed!"

A smile had returned to Alex's face and Draco couldn't help overplaying his injuries as he pretended to fall to the ground. Ginny Weasley packs a mean snowball!

"It's Gryffindor vs. Slytherin Malfoy." Ginny said grinning, beckoning Alex over to join her.

"Cheater, that's two against one!" Draco said in a mock angry tone. A cold December day it was, but the warmth that passed just then from Ginny to him had been unmistakable. He felt as if he was on top of the world.

"Loser buys……." He saw Ginny kneel down while Alex whispered his wants in her ear, "…………….. sweets from Honeydukes!"

Draco sent a snowball towards Ginny, "Pumpkin Pasties for me please."

"Dream on Malfoy, we'll take Chocolate frogs and Cauldron Cakes. Can never have enough you know. " Ginny deftly rolled out of the way.

A flurry of snowballs headed in his direction, thrown by an overenthusiastic Alex who hit Draco square in the face. "Score!"

Ginny and Alex high fived each other at his obvious misery. Not that he was miserable at all. Draco was enjoying this. Although he was now starting to doubt whether his son should play seeker next year. Beater was more like it. Draco hated to lose at anything. Losing a snowball fight to Alex and Ginny? Draco didn't mind at all. Whatever the outcome, Draco already felt like a winner.

***

Ginny watched her son grin from ear to ear as he exited Honeydukes carrying overflowing bags of goodies. Since the impromptu snowball fight, the happy boy had returned. Ginny had to admit to herself, it had been fun. Never had Ginny imagined she would end up enjoying this trip to Hogsmeade in the company of Draco Malfoy. They had all shared laughs throwing snowballs at each other and afterwards built a snowman. Her heart warmed over watching not just Alex but surprisingly Draco Malfoy.

Alex walked a bit ahead of them and Ginny wondered if he was doing it on purpose. She needed Alex next to her. This would keep the discussion about what happened at Madame Puddifoot's to a minimum and hopefully not at all.

"You've definitely overdone it this time Malfoy! If Alex gets a stomach ache and I have to buy him medicine, you'll be owled the bill!" Ginny tried to keep her tone light hearted though she only felt nervousness.

"I'll be expecting the bill then. You know my address." he smiled as he walked alongside her, sending a rush of heat running throughout Ginny's veins.

Why him of all people? The kiss they had shared opened a floodgate of feelings that Ginny could not explain. When she was in his arms a sense of longing urged her on. It didn't make sense. Though Draco's Malfoy's kiss felt good. It had been quite nice, actually more than nice. She found herself blushing thinking about it.

But it was wrong. She wanted to hate him for all the things he was but found she could not. How could one kiss have such an effect? Ginny had been kissed before but never with such intensity.

I love you, Ginny had heard with so much emotion it nearly undid her. It couldn't be. An overactive imagination was at fault. But why imagine it coming from the mouth of Draco Malfoy. No, he couldn't have said it. One kiss was all it was, with only Christmas tradition behind it and not much else. Ginny would just have to push it to the side as she did with so many other questions that were better left unanswered. Alex's feelings could not be set aside so easily. Alex liked his professor and Ginny was daresay to admit that perhaps Alex even loved his professor. Ginny knew enough about Alex's history at Hogwarts to understand why there was such an attachment to Malfoy.

In the midst of Holiday shoppers while deep in thought, Ginny realized that she had lost sight of Alex. She stood on her tiptoes searching for a small blond boy but he was nowhere to be found. Her heart plummeted sending her senses on high alert. Alex was not the type of boy to play games. The last time she had lost sight of someone was the last time she had seen him alive.

Ginny had visited Percy at the Ministry, the night of it's attack. War had started but the Ministry of Magic would not fall, but fall it did. There had been no warning. Intelligence reports that had come in were owled too late. The laws of magic that had provided Ministry employees safety would now bring about the deaths of hundreds. Screams of people unable to apparate or floo were now trapped inside what would soon be a tomb. Others would face worse fates for their lives would not end quickly. Many were carted off to be tortured, imprisoned and sacrificed for the pure blood ideals of the dark lord.

"Stay close to the walls, Ginny!" were the last words Percy had told her.

Ginny did what she was told clinging to the walls with a handful of people, sharing one invisibility cloak between them. It wasn't until Ginny had reached Muggle London that she realized in all the confusion that had taken place ,Percy wasn't with her. The Weasley family huddled together in the burrow that night as the hand on the clock that signaled Percy's whereabouts hovered over Mortal Peril.

A few days later she and Charlie's hands would join Percy's.

"Where's Alex?!" she scanned the crowd, "Malfoy where's Alex?" Twelve years later Voldemort still had control of her life from beyond the grave. Fears and doubts she had thought were buried, resurfaced.

"He mentioned he needed some new quills while we were in Honeydukes. I gave him some galleons to pick up what he needs at Scrivenshaft's. You're not upset are you?"

Relief washed over Ginny. "No, not at all." She had to remind herself, he was eleven. That was an age old enough to shop by oneself, wasn't it? Ginny could have sworn that her own mum accompanied her in Diagon Alley wherever she went until she was 12. Or was it 13? Am I cut out to be a mother? I can't even keep track of my own son. Ginny ought to be mad at Malfoy for sending him off alone, but she wasn't. The day was turning out almost as she had planned, perhaps even better. Alex seemed to be enjoying himself. She would not ruin today by having Alex find his own mother in another argument with his favorite Professor.

Ginny followed Draco as he lead her to one of the many benches that dotted the snow covered sidewalks of Hogsmeade. He muttered a warming charm as they both took a seat. Ginny and Draco simultaneously fell silent, the air growing thick between them. Ginny averted her eyes from his, keeping focused on Scrivenshaft's Quill shop.

"I have a confession Weasley." Draco had moved closer, barely pressing his thigh into hers.

"W-What is it?" she stammered, heat rushing into her cheeks at his touch. An innocent touch, Malfoy was probably not even aware of what he was doing to her. But her body was. Imagine what it felt like when……….Ginny stopped herself from thinking such thoughts. She was not an innocent for that had been taken from her so very long ago. Many times she would have glimpses of what had occurred. Lying naked in the arms of a deatheater, she would not let herself remember his face. She willed her mind to close that door to her past. Ginny refused to let her memories take her on such a painful journey.

"I sent Alex to the Quill shop. We need to talk about what happened between us."

The urge to run away was strong but she couldn't move. "No." she said through tight lips, "Not now."

"Why not?" he asked softly, "Why not now?" With each word he came closer until Ginny could feel Draco's breath on her lips. She brought her eyes to look into his. Draco caught her gaze, holding her there. He seemed different somehow. This was not Draco Malfoy the boy who had tormented her and all she cared for. Momentary panic gave way to shaky pleasure as he traced his fingertips along her jawline.

"Hogwarts students are all over town. Do you want them to see?" she said trying to pull away but found that Malfoy's other arm was draped along the seat at the back of her, holding her firmly into place.

"I don't care anymore."

Ginny was trembling inside and hoped it wouldn't be obvious to those devastatingly piercing grey eyes that seemed to look into her very soul. Somehow she was able to find her voice. "I'm a Weasley, you're a Malfoy. There is too much history and bitterness between not only you and I, but are families. We weren't exactly mates at Hogwarts Malfoy. Too much has happened. It would never work."

Draco's next statement only confused her more, "Oh, but it has Ginny. It already has."

The sweet thrill of excitement quivered down her spine when his mouth closed over hers as if it had a perfect right to do so. Her own mouth responded to his firm, warm lips. He started to move all over her face in gentle caresses before his mouth danced along her throat and Ginny couldn't help the small sigh that escaped. She knew she should try to resist Draco and all the feelings that came with him. Instead Ginny went with what felt oddly natural. His proximity crowded her senses as she started to lose control. On their own volition her fingers pushed through his hair as she sought his mouth with her own.

***

Alex had just completed paying for his purchases when he saw the commotion. Casey Wood's older brother and sister were standing at the door of Scrivenshaft's with a rather large group of Hogwarts students trying to push each other out of the way for a better view.

"Excuse me." Alex said trying to exit the store. When no one attempted to move he asked again, "Excuse me, please." His request went ignored. What had caught their attention that they would have to resort to spying? A fight perhaps? Maybe it was a student or professor who had drunk too much butterbeer. Alex heard rumors that the potions professor drowned himself in Firewhiskey every weekend and made for quite a sight, stumbling all over town. Perhaps that's who they were looking at. Curiosity was getting the better of Alex. He tried to peer over their shoulders but they were all a bit too tall and he was but a short first year. Fortunately for him the gossiping students gave him all the information he needed to know.

A Hufflepuff seventh year sighed dreamily as she looked out the window of Scrivenshaft's store, "How incredibly romantic!"

"That is so disgusting. Really, people that age should keep their hands to themselves." Remarked one girl Alex recognized as a fourth year Slytherin.

Casey's older sister Leslie rolled her eyes at the haughty Slytherin, "And you think kisses and such should only occur between teenagers? Half of us wouldn't be born and the other half would be living in poverty. "

William Wood added clutching his heart, "And half of Hogwarts is going to be heartbroken!"

"Which half?" joked Ravenclaw Maggie McDougall , "Who would have known Professor Deatheater had a heart? What I wouldn't give to be in Professor Weasley's position!"

"What I wouldn't give to knock Professor Malfoy into the snow!" William exclaimed. Catching sight of a jumping Alex who was trying to take a peek, he immediately covered the younger boy's eyes, "You shouldn't look. Seeing your mum being snogged by Professor Ferret will scar you for life! It's already ruined mine!"

They were kissing again! "Yes!" he shouted causing all heads to turn towards him. With newfound energy he pushed past the students, pressing his face against the windowpane to get a better view. The kissing as usual was the most disgusting thing Alex had ever seen. As far as Alex was concerned he was never going to kiss a girl. Not ever. If Casey Wood ever tried that little kissing stunt with him again, he would hex her. If he got in trouble, so be it. He would rather have points taken away than for someone's slobbering tongue shoved in his mouth. Icky. What was so great about that? But seeing his mum and his dad so close together gave Alex a good feeling in his chest. Maybe when grownups kiss, it wasn't so bad.

"Maybe you should tell Professor Malfoy to keep his slimy hands off your mum." Huffed a very jealous William.

Alex would do not such thing. He'd go out there when he was good and ready to go. Alex smiled to himself. They needed to love each other again, and if he had to wait in Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop all day long he would do just that. This was important. Mum had to fall in love again with Dad. Then Mum and Dad would get married and they would all live in the Burrow with Grandma and Grandpa, happily ever after, just as he imagined.

"Thank you Father Christmas. " Alex whispered, "Wherever you are."

.***

Yeah, I know it's after the New Year and I still haven't made it to Christmas. Trust me it will come.

Upcoming in future chapters -Ginny and Alex will visit Snape during X-mas, Ginny will have a very important flashback, A visit to Azkaban and Ginny learns the truth.

Also thanks so much for your reviews. I didn't know so many of you would enjoy reading this. I just hope not to disappoint in the future.