Unofficial Portkey Archive

What is love? by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What is love?

Rosali

What is Love?

A/N: More of a break, this chapter is. Not too long, but really nice. Happy reading!

CHAPTER X

Bittersweet Symphony

0x01 graphic

August 1997 - Grimmauld Place, London

0x01 graphic

She stumbled blindly through the stairs, guided only by the one person she could trust her life with. Yes, there had been some tough times, but it was all worth it just for him… She giggled as she climbed the stairs, wondering what this could be about. "Harry, come on! I don't like to be blind!" she whined with a grin.

With that little giggle, he could forget anything and everything that might be happening around him. Just by looking at her was like reaching heaven for a split second. More than once, he'd feared he had screwed up, but luckily that hadn't happened yet. "Don't be a party-pooper! Just shut up and keep climbing," he ordered with amusement and love in his voice.

Harry had managed to get everyone out of Grimmauld Place for the day. He'd bribed, threatened and begged the Order members and the rest of the occupants of the ancient house so that they could have this evening just for themselves.

Finally they reached the top room, where he slept now, and opened the door. A small change of lights went through the black cover that kept Hermione from seeing. "What is this?"

Harry let go off her hand and she felt a small shudder go through her at the sole sensation of his warmth missing; but a moment later, he put both strong hands on her shoulders and kissed her neck. She shuddered again, but this time it was a different kind of shudder and she smiled as he took the bandage from her eyes.

Hermione gasped at the sight in front of her; she recognized the room because of the big balcony that was to her right, but otherwise she would've thought she was in a Presidential Suite of a five-star hotel.

The balcony was framed by red velvet drapes that had golden edges. There was a wonderful crystal spider-lamp with over ten candles burning merrily, which dyed the room with a faint and extremely romantic light; Hermione let her inner self ask if he'd used spells to dim the light to the perfect illumination.

In the center of the room, a small table for two was lit by two candles and in the middle sat a silver tray covered by a glass lid that let the lasagna show all of its charm. A bottle of what seemed champagne rested to the right of one of the seats in a container full of ice; it all seemed taken out of a 60s classical movie.

And the bed… the bed was covered by red rose petals that extended around the beautifully carved four-poster. As soon as she was done looking at everything, she turned to Harry with a huge silly grin. "What's this about?" she asked, knowing full well the answer was but wanting to hear it anyway.

Harry smiled back at her and then snapped his fingers as Take That's How deep is your love started to play… one of Hermione's favorite bands and a song she had once sang to him after making love the first time.

"You'd think that I forgot the most wonderful day of my life?" He asked and came closer, wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing her lightly. "Happy Anniversary Hermione," he said softly.

She just managed to throw her arms around him and kiss him with the same love he had just kissed her. "Oh Harry! Happy Anniversary!" A moment later, she pulled back and produced a small box from her pocket. "I got you something… I know it's not much but-"

"It's wonderful," Harry interrupted her, taking the little box and kissing her. When he opened it and pulled out the chain, he examined it. It was silver, and the pocket watch that hung from it had a small lightning bolt carved into it. It was decorated with three tiny gems, and in the back read:

With thy love so pure

Thus darkness does not pass

He stared at it for a long time, with no expression at all on his face.

Hermione studied him and fear started creeping to her. "You don't like it? I- I can go and change it," she started hesitantly.

Harry looked up and now she noticed his eyes were over-bright. "Mione, this is the best present I could've ever gotten," he stared and closed the distance between them to cup her face with the hand that wasn't holding the watch. "I love you so much." He kissed her again and then pulled away just a few inches, so he could make a movement with his hand and produce something inside his fist with a smile.

Hermione looked at his closed hand with a glint in her eyes, but didn't do anything.

"Go ahead," he said softly.

Hermione reached out her hand and slowly opened each finger to reveal a gold ring with a green rock in the center. It seemed as a jade, but inside there was a whitish sparkle. Her eyes widened and she looked up at Harry.

"It's a Promise Ring. It says that no matter what, I will always love you."

"I will wear it till the day that I die," she responded to his promise.

They stared at each other for the longest moment and then Harry winked at her. "So, mademoiselle. Today is all about you. I'm your humble slave," he told her with a ridiculously low bow.

She giggled and went to the dinner table. "We'll see if this qualifies."

Harry watched her as she examined the food. Most of what she's said last end of term was true, so he wanted to make it up in this little limbo he'd made for them… Even if it was for only one night, because he knew he would go back to his hunting the minute he set foot on the school and even more now that he was Head Boy; but this limbo was hers.

She turned to him and cocked her head to a side. "What?" she asked.

"Nothing. You're beautiful," he said and pulled the chair for her.

0x01 graphic

October 1997 - Hogwarts

0x01 graphic

He had been dreading Halloween, it was amazing how every single blasted Halloween something had to happen at Hogwarts. The only thing that enlightened his mood a little was the marvelous feast that awaited them in case the school wasn't torn to pieces by some unexpected incident.

Hermione was aware of that, and if you asked her, Harry had been way too stressed out over it. In the end, nothing that bad had happened yet in Halloween. After all the things they'd been through during the war and all that they'd seen, Hermione had learned to not worry until peril was there and imminent.

Due to this, she had planned a little escapade… of course it wasn't like the ones Harry planned for them, but still she was sure he would love it. She went across the shared bathroom of the Head Boy and Head Girl Chambers and slammed open the door to Harry's room. He was putting some things on a bag, among which Hermione could make out James' Invisibility Cloak. He looked up in surprise and made a useless effort to stuff whatever was left inside the bag.

"Mione!" he said a little too nonchalantly, "what are you doing here? Weren't you supposed to get ready for the fe-" he stopped when her outfit sunk in his eyes. "You look-I thought we were just going to the feast," he asked.

She frowned. "What's this, Harry?" she asked.

"I- nothing! I was… just preparing in case… you know," he shrugged.

Hermione didn't quite buy it, but made herself do so and smiled. "Nothing's going to happen tonight, it's our last year… I- I planned something to get your mind off of this."

Harry cocked his head to a side in surprise. "You did?"

"Yeah, well. It's not like your plans, but it's… going to be nice," she assured with a smile.

"Well, I- told Ron we'd go down with him. I'm not sure…"

"Oh, sod Ron!" Hermione protested.

Harry was a little taken aback by this. "Are you mad at him?" he asked.

"Wha- no! Not at all. Just that… I wanted to spend some time with you." She took a step closer and grabbed the front of his robes. "Alone."

Harry grinned wickedly and let go of his backpack. Hermione smiled satisfied. "You're evil, you know that?" he said seductively. "Are you sure you want to leave this room?" he asked as he began to kiss her.

She kissed him back passionately and all of a sudden pulled away, leaving Harry looking as if a candy had been snatched from a baby. "Yes, but we need to take the map."

"What do you have planned, you little evil mastermind?"

"Oh, nothing. Just a room in the Inn outside Hogsmaede."

"Hmm… sounds nice…" he said as he followed the beautiful woman he loved so much. But behind his smile, a lot was going on in his mind. He had gotten a tip on an attack and he wanted to prevent it or at least find out what the Death Eaters would be doing so close to Hogwarts, because it was certainly not usual to have them so close in such a powerful day. It was usual to have Death Eaters roaming Hogsmaede, but not in Halloween. Judging by what he'd found out, they usually gathered on this day for some sort of coven because, as he knew, Halloween was one of the days in which magic was in its highest peaks.

They sneaked under the Invisibility Cloak through the corridors and to the statue of the Hunchback Witch, which held the corridor to Honeydukes. After a long time of walking, the finally reached the end of the passageway and made it out to the autumn's cool wind.

Harry's attention was very carefully divided between Hermione -whom he didn't want mad at him- and whatever could be going on in the little town. They held hands and Harry let her guide the way, since this was something she had put together.

Conveniently, while he `was getting ready' in the restroom, he'd told Hedwig to keep in the guard flying around town and let him know if she noticed anything strange at all. He was rather reassured by this because he trusted Hedwig throughly, but he couldn't help the urge to get down to what he'd planned.

They reached the outskirts of Hogsmaede and a beautiful wooden building with a slight muggle touch stood in front of them. Harry turned his full attention to it for a moment, he hadn't been there before, and it looked very nice and homey.

Hermione was staring at it with adoring eyes. "Well? How you like it?"

He turned to her. "It looks beautiful," he said honestly.

"I thought you would say that…" she put in proudly and took his hand to guide him inside.

When reaching their room, they were both fascinated. It was much bigger than it looked from the outside, and it had everything a small muggle cottage had. A hearth, a big bed that was built of logs, a small kitchen and a beautiful yet simple living room.

Hermione cast the dinner she had already prepared and they ate under the silver moonlight that poured through the window and with candles that complemented the environment.

When they were done, the two went to the living room and sat on the couch facing the fireplace. Hermione was leaning on Harry, reading a book, while Harry stroked her hair idly and his other arm was wrapped protectively around her, resting a hand on her flat belly.

After a long beautiful moment of silence, Hermione looked up at him quizzically. "What's on your mind?"

Harry's gaze was lost in the merrily burning flames and he was snapped back to reality by her voice. "Huh? I- nothing, love. Just thinking…" he trailed off.

She shifted so she would be facing him fully. "About what? You've been kind of idle all night?"

"Just how much of a great night this's been," he smiled down at her.

"You know you don't fool me," she pressed on the subject.

He sighed, knowing defeat before it even came. "The usual stuff…" he started and quickly added, "…and of course you."

She narrowed her eyes and sighed. "Will you ever let it go?" she asked, more than demanded.

"You know I can't."

She started to respond but then closed her eyes and sighed deeply. "Ok, never mind. Let's talk of something else, can we?"

"Of course!" Harry assured. "But we can also… not talk," he said with a smile.

Hermione laughed. "Maybe… but you'll have to earn it."

"I do, do I? Well, let's see if I'm good enough," he said as he started kissing her on the lips, and a moment later started tickling her on that spot she couldn't resist. He laughed and in his head, he was glad this hadn't turned out as another fight.

She squealed in laughter while trying unsuccessfully to fight him back and tickle him on that place so he would fall to her feet laughing.

"I, strong. You, weak," Harry got out between laughs in a caveman voice.

"Oh no, you won't. Impedimenta!" she managed and Harry stopped.

"Hey! No magic! Not fair!" Harry protested as he struggled with the binding spell.

"I, witch. You, muggle," she emulated Harry's voice moments ago and burst out laughing as the spell wore off and he jumped on her. She screamed and was able to wrap her arms around him.

Harry was about to give into the unworried happiness he sometimes could get with Hermione when he saw a snow-white owl fly through the window two times with no letter attached to her leg. He cursed on his mind and managed to sober up and stop, leaving a very bewildered Hermione staring at him.

"What's the matter, Harry?"

"I- I uh, have to go."

She sat up and frowned. "What? What do you mean?"

"I have to go, I'm really sorry baby," he said, sounding honestly sorry.

"What's going on?"

Harry decided it would be better if he just told her the truth. "I got a tip on a gathering and-"

"It might be an attack and you want to prevent it," she said boredly, but her voice was hurt. "Why do you always have to? The Order has guards on duty tonight! They can manage!"

"Well, yes! But they can speak of something I might be able to use in the future! I can't miss this opportunity!" he tried to reason.

She made an exasperated sound and pulled away. "Why can't you-"

"And it's safer if you stay here," he added before she could continue.

"Oh forget it!" she snapped and walked out of the room.

Harry sighed, must be in those days he thought heavily and started after her. "Hermione, wait!"

She stopped and turned around. "What? Go and do whatever you were planning to do by yourself and forget I ever planned anything for just the two of us!"

"No! I wasn't planning on doing anything baby! I was just trying to get-"

"Go on, I don't care. You still have your backpack full with all you need; I'm wasting your time!"

"Hermione!" Harry whined and kept following her about the room.

She stopped and turned to him, causing them to collide, she pushed him away. "Harry, just go."

"I did want to spend the night here with you," he tried lamely.

"But this little tiny thing called an obsession gets on the way."

"It's not that!"

"Then what is it?"

"I just don't want anyone else hurt!" he said defensively.

"And you don't count in the anyone? Harry, you put you life at stake every time you go on one of these… quests," she said desperately with tears sparkling in her eyes. "Not to mention that you put us through hell whenever we look for you and you're nowhere to be found."

He took her by the arms "Mione, nothing will-"

She yanked away. "Go, I need time for myself right now," she finished darkly and turned her back on him.

Harry looked at her and sighed. A moment later, a soft pop indicated he had dissapparated.

Hermione slowly turned around and stared at where he'd just been standing. She walked across the cottage and collapsed on the couch in front of the fire, covering her face with her hands and letting tears make her way down her face. She looked up at the dying flames for a second. "Please don't let anything happen to him," she whispered and lay back, pulling the blanket to her and drifting off to a troubled sleep.

0x01 graphic

A/N: Some sugar and vinegar. Turned out better than I expected, hope you liked it Please R&R!

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->