Unofficial Portkey Archive

What is love? by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What is love?

Rosali

What is Love


CHAPTER XXX

Gaining ground


What do I do when my love is away
(Does it worry you to be alone?)
How do I feel by the end of the day,
(Are you sad because you're on your own?)

No, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody
I need somebody to love
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.

Would you believe in a love at first sight
Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time
What do you see when you turn out the light
I can't tell you but I know it's mine

(.- A little help from my friends by Joe Cocker)


2004 - St. Mungo's Hospital, London


When the green flames cleared in front of her eyes, Hermione immediately recognized Harry's jet-black hair and smiled.

"Finally, it took you forever."

"The advantage rate of transportation through apparition in regards of floo is 5 to 1, Harry."

Harry opened his mouth to speak but closed it again and laughed. "I think you are one of the four people in the world who knows that."

She laughed as well. "You bet I am!"

After sharing a beautiful moment, like they hadn't since school, Harry closed the distance between the two and embraced Hermione in his lean arms. He rested his head on top of hers and closed his eyes, taking in her scent… sandalwood and parchment. Oh, how he'd missed it.

At first, Hermione was taken aback by his sudden reaction, but then she relaxed against his chest and smiled peacefully. Too soon for her taste, Harry pulled back and took her face in his hands, his intense gaze on her.

"Hermione…"

"Yes, Harry?"

"Can I…" he leaned forward, closer to her lips and Hermione could feel them moistening in advance. "Please…" Closer and closer now. She nodded idly, lost in his face and his lips.

"Harry! Hermione! So glad you are here!" Remus' voice interrupted and the two pulled apart as if burned. "Ah… did I―?"

Harry took his hand to his lips and touched them, shaking his head. "No, no, you…" he looked up, recognizing his mentor only now. "Remus! How are you? How is Tonks?"

"Did Ginny get checked up?"

A tired smile spread across his face. "Tonks is fine now, thanks, she awoke a couple minutes ago and I was just coming to get coffee. She almost kicked me out of the room when she saw my face," he said fondly.

"That sounds like her…"

"Hermione, how are you? I heard you'd got yourself into trouble… Luna was pretty beaten up… Oh, and Ginny had a general check-up and got patched up in no time."

"As usual, Remus," she said with a small smile. "Luckily for me, Harry was near enough to save me."

The two men laughed. "I would say it was exactly the other way round, actually," Harry provided. "But we were all almost unharmed, and Hermione took good care of me, you know her."

"Indeed I do. Thank you Hermione for not letting him get killed," he laughed and then turned serious when looking at Harry. "Lariana?"

Harry looked away and ran a hand through his hair. "I… she kind of stormed out of the house…"

Remus' eyes widened reproachfully. "Oh, Harry, when are you going to-"

But before Remus could finish or Harry could defend himself, Hermione stepped in. "But it's okay, Draco is with her."

This took the older man by surprise and he focused solely on Hermione now and she bit her bottom lip upon realizing that not everyone knew about Draco. "Draco? Malfoy?"

They stayed silent for a moment and then Harry let out a breath. "Yes, Draco Malfoy. Long story."

"I have nothing but time."

He sighed. "All right. Long story short. He's alive, has a piece of the Resurrection Stone in his chest. Yes, MY Resurrection Stone. Courtesy of Dumbledore. And it is what's keeping him alive. And he has inside information that helped us crack this whole thing despite it is not over yet."

Remus stared open-mouthed and nodded. "All right. Can we trust him?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Well, I trust you."

"Good, thanks."

Remus nodded and stopped for a moment. "And… why were you about to kiss?" he dropped on the two and both inhaled sharply.

Hermione was the first one to react and she coughed. "Right… uh… well, you see…"

"Are you back together?"

"Yes." | "Not exactly." Two voices responded at the same time and Remus frowned.

"So?"

"We're-" they started in unison and Harry hurried to finish the sentence. "We're having a baby."

"So we're kind of giving it a chance."

"It'll be no piece of cake but-"

"We still want to try."

Once again, Remus stared, muted, and nodded. "All right," he simply said. "Does everyone-?"

"No, no one, actually," Hermione said quickly.

"All right…" Remus echoed himself and Harry stared intently at him. Remus caught his fearful, hopeful gaze and sighed then smiled.

"Really?" Harry asked, his eyes shining.

He nodded. "I'm very happy for you," he said, "really," Lupin finished with a smile and then gathered Harry in his arms. "I really am," he said, his voice full of pride.

Harry hugged him back, only now realizing he was deathly afraid Remus wouldn't approve. "Thank you so much," he whispered and let out a sigh of relief.

* * *

"Honestly, guys, I'm fine now. Go get some rest, go have a bite. I promise, Neville, that Remus won't fire you for leaving me alone," Tonks insisted.

"Tonks, honey, we've gone longer without food or sleep, and I don't want to face Lupin's anger," Neville said lightly, not letting go of Ginny's hand.

Tonks huffed angrily and then noticed for the first time, their intertwined fingers. "Wait, how long was I out?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"If I remember correctly, you said something about hell freezing over before you got back together with him," Tonks said and pointed at Ginny's hand.

"Oh- oh, right… I… was a little upset back then."

"Did you really say that?" Neville asked and turned to Tonks. "Well, I guess global warming has at least one positive effect…"

They laughed and Ginny continued. "You should know better after so many years, to not believe what I say when I am angry."

Tonks shook her head and laughed. "I don't care if hell froze over. If you ask me, it was about bloody time. Now, would you PLEASE go enjoy your newfound romance and leave? I promise I won't go anywhere, and Ginny looks like she will fall on her face any minute now."

Neville turned to her and noticed that indeed she looked like a ghost. "Promise?"

"Auror promise," Tonks crossed her heart and the two laughed.

"I know of an on-call room where you can get some rest."

"I'm all right, Neville!" Ginny protested and started to get up but stumbled, being caught by Neville in the blink of an eye.

"You're going to sleep. You're getting too old for these things."

"Ha, ha, very funny. But I guess you are right, let's go then. We'll see you later, Tonks, all right?"

"Fine, fine, just go!"

The couple took off and Neville led her to a small door that almost looked secret. "Why is the door barely visible?"

"Well, sometimes we need to stay here to guard patients, and we can't afford to be seen."

"I see."

"Pepsydormit," Neville said and a doorknob opened. He let her into a high ceilinged round room with doors around the walls. She stared open-mouthed and Neville took it as a sign to explain. "Since we can't apparate except to the family waiting area, each of these doors lead to a particular ward of the hospital. You call a spell and the door comes down to let you in."

"Wow, I had never seen this kind of plans for a room."

"Our intelligence is pretty advanced, and these projects and plans are top secret, almost unspeakable-kind."

"Interesting."

Neville smiled, remembering how much he liked it when she was amazed at something he did or showed her.

Ginny's eyes traveled down and around the floor to find at least five mini-dormitories, each fully equipped even with a private bathroom. "I wonder why some of you don't stay here just because. It looks really comfortable."

"It is, actually, but you cannot access unless you are a head or there is some kind o emergency situation."

"Emergency situation?"

"Well, yes. Two war-heroes were kidnapped and one of the top aurors was nearly killed in the process. That and we have only just began to crack how organized the Falange really is, so Remus called it an emergency."

Ginny nodded, wide-eyed, she hadn't really realized how serious the situation had become. "I see."

"Here, I have a lot of my stuff in this dorm," Neville led her to the one in the furthest right and they entered.

Looking around, this one was certainly the coziest of the five or six dorms in the on-call room. Ginny smiled at herself, priding that some of her own taste had stayed with Neville throughout the years.

"I'm glad you like it."

"I do, it's very homey."

"That was the idea. Normally I stay here with Harry, but I'll turn the double into a King." He flicked his wand and the two twin beds merged into one King-sized one. "Come," he beckoned and Ginny followed.

"Oh, really good," she exclaimed as she sunk deep into the pillows. "So tired," she now realized. Neville placed himself next to Ginny and surrounded her in a protective embrace. "Love you, Neville," she said, her voice sleepy.

"Love you too, Gin, always have," he said and kissed her flaming hair.

"I am so sorry. I'm sorry I hurt you so much," she continued, her voice rasping with sadness.

"It's okay, we're together now," Neville soothed her.

"Will you ever forgive me? Can we do this?"

Neville sighed. "I sure hope so," he responded quietly.

"I hope so too," her voice drifted off slowly, still tainted with tears Neville couldn't see but could feel.

"Hope begins in the dark, my love," he started, stroking her hair, "that stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, then dawn will come."

"Dawn… light," she added.

"We wait and watch, and work: we don't give up, we never will, my Ginny," he finished and felt her muscles relax. She was finally falling asleep and Neville rested his head gently on top of hers, kissing it.

* * *

Ron hadn't left Luna's side since they got there. The healers had ran tests on her and he was still waiting for the results, hoping that everything would be just fine and that there wouldn't be any permanent damage in this beautiful creature he had just discovered.

His face was set in a serious frown, and he wondered if he'd done what was right. If he should have come or indeed stayed like Harry suggested. He sighed, they were now all right, but he knew it wasn't over and he wasn't sure if he wanted any more part in it.

"Don't take life too seriously, Ronald, for it is a situation that you cannot get out of alive." A small voice came from the bed and startled Ron.

"Luna! Luna! You are all right!" he hugged her.

"Ow… yes, but not really," she answered.

"Oh, I am so sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to! I'm such a fool!"

"Ronald, Ronald! When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

Ron stopped talking and stared, bewildered, then he nodded.

"Good. Thank you," she said softly and beckoned him to come closer. Ron obeyed and was rewarded with a peck on the lips. "Thank you," she said again.

The door opened and a healer came in. "Mr. Weasley? I understand you brought Miss Lovegood here?"

Ron stood, reluctantly letting go of Luna's hand. "Yes, yes I did, doctor. Is she going to be all right?"

"Who performed the healing spells, have you any idea?" he asked serious and Ron panicked.

"I- I did, doctor. I am so sorry! Did I hurt her? Please tell me I didn't!"

The healer raised both his hands, trying to calm Ron down. "It's okay, Mr. Weasley, you didn't hurt her in the least. As a matter of fact, you saved her life. That was some powerful magic you performed."

Ron was about to continue but quieted upon listening to the healer speak. "I… I did?"

"Yes, you did, Mr. Weasley. Now I know why you were so important in the defeat of the Dark Lord, years ago. You really are a powerful wizard, and I am honored to meet you," the healer shook his hand. "Miss Lovegood is a lucky lady, and she is lucky she had you by her side. Thank you for everything." The healer shook his hand again and exited the room.

Ron sat and took Luna's hand again. He couldn't stop smiling.

"See? I told you you were brilliant," Luna said with a matching smile. "You are."

Ron nodded and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. "Thanks," he said and they stayed in blessed silence for a long time until the door clicked open again. He looked up to meet his oldest friends. "Hey guys," he greeted serenely.

Hermione frowned at first and then noticed Ron holding Luna's hand. An unwanted jealousy made its way through her chest and she placated it immediately, knowing this was only the hormones reacting and that she was in love with Harry and only Harry.

"Hey, Ron," Harry greeted back, immediately noticing them holding hands as well. He smiled. "So that's why you stayed here," he told his friend.

Ron looked at his and Luna's intertwined fingers and then back at Harry. He nodded. "Yes, mate," he simply stated.

"Congratulations."

"To you too," Luna said serenely and both Harry and Hermione's eyes widened. "I know things," she explained, much to their surprise.

Ron stared at his two friends and anger boiled inside him. He was about to burst when Luna's small hand stopped him.

"Stop digging," she simply said and Ron nodded, biting his bottom lip.

"So… it is true then… you're having a baby," he said angrily.

"As it should be," Luna added to his statement.

Harry put a protective arm around Hermione. "Yes, we are really sorry, Ron. This was definitely not how it was supposed to be."

"Yes it was," Luna countered. "Otherwise it would have never happened," she said. "And now the universe is in balance again," Luna finished and there was nothing either of the three could say about it.

Ron sighed. "I'm happy for you," he said, devoid of emotion, and Luna squeezed his hand. He looked up and gave them a small smile. "I really am."

This time, it was Hermione's turn to hug someone. "Thank you, thank you so much, Ron!" tears started falling down her cheeks. "I was so afraid, so scared I would lose you… thank you," she exclaimed, her arms tightly around his neck and she kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you," she finished.

"See? Balance," Luna crowned and the four laughed after a moment of confusion.

They all quieted after the shared laugh and Hermione spoke. "Wow, I now see his point."

The other three all stared at her.

"No growth without assistance. No action without reaction. No desire without restraint. Li Mu Bai was right…"

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?" Harry asked and Hermione nodded. "See? I always told you he had some deep thoughts."


2004 - Starbucks coffee, Downtown London


"So… long enough to figure Einstein's equation yet?"

"Huh?" Lariana came out of her mind upon hearing Draco's voice. They had come for some breakfast but hadn't uttered a word since ordering their hot drinks and sandwiches.

"Has it been long enough to decipher the equation?"

Lariana laughed and her cheeks turned a little pink. "I am sorry, didn't mean for you to bore to death."

"I've been more bored, don't worry. What's on your mind?"

"Nothing, just figuring things out. Or trying to, at least."

"So?"

"Stupid things, really."

"I've heard worse, I can bet. Remember my friends, back at school?" he said and quoted the air with his fingers at the word 'friends'.

Lariana laughed. "No, not that kind of stupid."

"What kind then?"

She hesitated a moment and took a long sip of her Chai Latte, Hary's favourite hot beverage, to which she'd taken a special like as well. "Harry was always great to me, I shouldn't even be thinking these things."

"You are entitled to think whatever you want after you discover that your ex-fiancée is back together with the one person that always stood between you two and eternal happiness," Draco stated with a wink, much to Lariana's surprise.

"What are you, a seer?"

"No, I'm just very perceptive. I've had years of practice, so don't freak," he laughed. "Plus, I'm a genius, didn't you know that?"

"I hardly think so, Mr. Malfoy. I went to the same school as you, remember?"

Draco flashed her a smile. "Wasted potential, that's all." The both shared a laugh and then Draco turned serious again. "So?"

Lariana sobered as well. "All right, but you promise not to change your mind about me."

"I swear," Draco crossed his heart and smiled encouragingly.

She returned the smile and began. "Well, it is true that Hermione's ghost always stood between us, but that's not the main issue; with time I came to accept that and live peacefully with it," she stated and shrugged, drinking another sip of her tea, and Draco mirrored her.

"But mostly…" she stopped a moment, trying to phrase everything that had been going through her mind the past couple hours. "When I met Harry, he was a mess." Draco nodded in understanding, so Lariana continued. "He had no north except for his job, and he was permanently sulking; even when he was supposedly happy. "

She didn't get another nod of understanding, so she hurried to elaborate further. "I mean… of course he had reasons to be scarred… emotionally, I mean, what with the war and the whole boy-who-lived, slash, the-chosen-one rubbish…"

"Rubbish?" Draco questioned, trying to poke a little further into this beautiful women's head.

"No! Well, yes, but not in that sense, you know?"

"Not really."

She laughed. "I suppose I'm not as clear as I thought as was…" Draco leaned his head to a side with an agreement laugh, beckoning her to continue. "What I am trying to say is that it wasn't the war or its leftovers what had him sulking all the time."

"Ah, I see."

She smiled, glad she had finally cleared her own ideas. "He was definitely a mess, and- well― I fixed him," she took a hand to her chest, "and he… well, he goes back, you know?" she pursued her ramble.

Draco nodded. Now she was making sense, and he knew this was the first step to help her move on… hopefully with him, of course… he was a Slytherin after all, he smiled to himself.

"What is so funny?" she asked, confused.

"You see. If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you."

She raised an eyebrow.

"That is the main difference between a dog and a man, Lariana."

She smiled and nodded. "I guess you are right…" she said thoughtfully and quieted again.

"But of course, not all men are like that," Draco provided.

Lariana smirked. "Could you possibly be talking about yourself, Mr. Malfoy?"

"Happiness is available. Help yourself." Draco said, placing the cinnamon roll he'd just materialized out of nowhere, in front of her.

Lariana laughed. "Touché," and she took a bite. "However…"

Draco frowned. He thought he had her right there.

"The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. Do you have them?"

He smiled and took her hand, kissing it gently. "I think I can try, don't you?"


A/N: This was quote chapter. I took many quotes from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, some more from May '68 revolution (France), a couple from my friends Michelangelo, Leonardo (da Vinci) and Vicent (Van Gogh), and a few random Danish, Irish and Chinese proverbs. Hope you liked it! Please R&R! Only a few more chapter to go!