Unofficial Portkey Archive

What is love? by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What is love?

Rosali

What is Love?

A/N: Thanks very much for the wonderful reviews. As I've always said, you feed my writing. Happy reading!

CHAPTER XIII

Filtering Light

I've been sleeping a thousand years it seems
Got to open my eyes to everything
Without a thought, without a voice, without a soul
Don't let me die here
There must be something more
(.- Bring me to life by Evanescence)

0x01 graphic

2004 - St. Mungos

0x01 graphic

It was past noon and Mrs. Weasley had finally managed to persuade Hermione to leave Harry's side after thirty six almost sleepless hours; she reluctantly accepted to go get some lunch with her and Ginny. At last, she stood and looked at Remus, Tonks and Lariana, who had only left to meet friends and reporters and to get drinks or food throughout all of yesterday and this morning.

In spite of everything, she had realized how much she loved this man; this man that had been there for her when she needed it the most, this man that had hurt her over and over again; and this man that had come back to her twice and it had required absolutely all of her willpower to not crumble and crawl to him.

"I will be back with something for you all, all right?" Hermione said tiredly and gave the three a sweet smile.

"You know what to get me!" Tonks chimed, smiling back. Ever since Hermione's fifth year at Hogwarts, she had grown to love her almost as a sister, and seeing how they all were together now was very nice, despite the terrible situation.

"Sure thing!" Hermione called from the door.

"I'll have anything," Remus told her with a fond smile.

Hermione nodded and then turned to Lariana. "Would you like anything?"

"I- whatever Tonks gets," she answered and the tension between the two women was so obvious that Tonks rolled her eyes at them, looking at Remus.

"I'll be back in a while," she told the three, and with one last glance at Harry, she walked out to meet Mrs. Weasley and Ginny at Sunset Café, across the street from the old Mall where the Hospital was located.

0x01 graphic

2004 - Sunset Café

0x01 graphic

When she entered the small Coffee Shop & Restaurant, a waving hand caught her attention and immediately, she recognized the flaming red head of her friend and the brown hair of Mrs. Weasley.

"Mione, here!"

She hurried past the tables and took the seat across from Mrs. Weasley and next to Ginny. "Thanks for making me come out," Hermione said quietly.

"Oh, dear, don't mention it! You really needed it," Mrs. Weasley told her with a smile.

"You were starting to look like one of the patients," Ginny joked. "Shall we order? I'm famished!" she said and called for the waiter, a broad shoulder, black-haired man that Ginny eyed with hunger.

Hermione laughed at her friend's face. Luckily, Mrs. Weasley was too busy looking at the menu to see that her youngest daughter was eating the poor man with her eyes. "I'll get a Chicken Parmesan and two Veggie burger orders, with fries and soda to go," she told the waiter as she scanned the menu looking for something that called her eye. "Uhm… and for me… Oh! What in hell! Another Chicken Parmesan with iced tea, please," she ordered, unable to decide for one plate.

"A Green and Chick salad for me, with Iced Tea as well. Could you please put a tiny extra touch of lemon in it?"

"Yes, Ma'am. And what will the fine lady get?" he asked Mrs. Weasley silkily.

She giggled a little, something she would only do in the presence of her two daughters (as she always said when talking about Ginny and Hermione). "Just Roast Beef and Rice for me, please… And a Pink Lemonade," she ordered. "I love that muggle drink," she added to the two girls, much to the waiter's surprise.

Ginny and Hermione laughed when he left. "Mum! He'll think we're crazy for calling them muggles!" Ginny protested.

"Oh, I'm sorry dear. I didn't mean to," Mrs. Weasley apologized.

"It's ok, don't worry," Ginny said with a sigh, knowing she wouldn't have a chance with the waiter anymore. Hermione laughed as she saw the mother-daughter exchange and the old sadness for her parents' death overwhelmed her once again.

Ginny seemed to notice this and quickly changed the subject. "So, what's been up for you lately, gal?" she asked Hermione with a smile.

Hermione shook herself and managed to put up a smile. "Well, nothing much. You know; work, home, work again… I asked for a vacation, but after this, they called it short," she said with a sigh and then Harry's missing nail popped into her mind. "Hey, did you talk to the medi-wizard who received Harry, Mrs. Weasley?"

"Yes, I did, honey, why?"

She opened her mouth once and closed it again, wondering if she was just being paranoid, and then shrugged the feeling away. When it came to Harry, nothing should be taken for granted. "Did they notice his index-finger's nail was gone?"

Molly and Ginny looked at her, bewildered, then Ginny answered. "I was there too, and they didn't say anything about the nail. I'm sure he broke it during the fight," she said, a bit unsure.

"Maybe, but it was completely gone when I saw him. Well, growing back because of the regenerating potion, but still."

The three women stayed silent for a moment, and then Molly spoke. "I wouldn't worry, dear," she said, trying to put her two daughters' minds at ease. "It's probably what Ginny said. Otherwise, the medi-wizards would've noticed it."

This gave Hermione a little peace of mind and she smiled. "Yes, I'm sure it was," she finished.

The tense moment gone, Molly started up the conversation again as the waiter came with their food. "Well, I was about to say that I've told you, you should quit, Hermione darling. They exploit you so terribly!"

Letting go of her previous unease, she set her mind back at lunch with these two women she loved so much. "Oh, Molly. You know I can't do that."

"The Prophet would probably crumble to pieces without their star reporter," Ginny said with a proud voice.

"They have many other wonderful reporters, you know that. If I'm not mistaken, you can name them all. Right, red-fiend?" Hermione asked with a smirk.

"Hermione! I can't believe you just called me that! Don't ever do that again!" she said, mock-offended.

"Excuse me? Red what?"

"Uhm… nothing mum, it's just a name."

"I'm not sure I like that name." Mrs. Weasley commented with narrowed eyes. "Anyway, I'm sure Luna would be glad to give you the Editor position in The Quibbler if you just asked."

"My life is the Prophet; I can't very well leave it. And besides, as Ginny said, I'm pretty necessary and I earned it with a lot of hard work."

Mrs. Weasley sighed. "I guess you're right. But that doesn't mean I don't think you overwork yourself," she said as the waiter brought their orders.

If only you knew why I stay late sometimes… Hermione told Mrs. Weasley in her head.

They ate in silence; apparently, the three women were hungrier than they thought, for the food almost vanished in their plates. Hermione had told the waiter to bring the orders to take after they asked for the check, so it would be warm when they got to the Hospital.

"Oh, my! We are such pigs!" Ginny giggled when the two ice cream cups were brought to Hermione and her.

Hermione laughed and dug into her own cup. "And we're proud of it!" she chimed. It was so good to go out again with them; she hadn't noticed how much she missed the both.

A moment passed, in which the three were in silence and Hermione knew Ginny was going to let it out anytime now; all she had left to do was wait and receive. Finally, she couldn't hold it anymore and Ginny put down her spoon. Hermione took a silent breath and waited for the impact.

"What happened now?" she blunted out.

Mrs. Weasley sucked in a breath and Hermione put down her spoon as well, looking up at Ginny. "Nothing, I-"

"Come on, you can't fool me. Remember who I am?"

"Well-" she started. Looking around her mind frantically for an excuse, but gave it up soon enough, she sighed and started. "I left Ron to go look for Harry under the excuse that I wanted the auror story."

"Hermione! You didn't!"

"Unfortunately, I did."

"I guess you fought…" Ginny said matter-of-factly.

"Well- not exactly. We did, in the end."

"Don't tell me you two…" Ginny gave her the look.

Hermione looked at Mrs. Weasley for a split second and then back at Ginny, returning the look.

"How could you?! Again?!"

"It wasn't like we planned it!" Hermione defended a bit angrily.

"You know how this will end!"

"Uhm… girls, excuse me but am I missing something here?" Mrs. Weasley asked, utterly puzzled.

They both looked up, as if noticing her for the first time. "Oh, Molly. No, you're not. Just that- well, I shouldn't have gone and Ginny knows it too," she said quickly.

She sighed and took Hermione's hand in both of hers. "Hermione, you know I love you, and I love my son more than anything… but, are you sure you want to continue with this? I know you've had great times together and I know you love him very much. But dear, this is not how it should've ended. It is not fair for either of you…"

"Not to mention us," Ginny added before she could stop herself and she covered her mouth with a hand. "I- I didn't mean to, Mione," she apologized.

A dagger went through Hermione's heart at Ginny's words and she closed her eyes to keep tears from falling down her face. She took a deep breath and focused again in her friend. "No. It's ok, you're right."

0x01 graphic

2004 - St. Mungos

0x01 graphic

After Hermione left, Tonks' expression changed drastically and she turned to Remus. "So, what's the situation like?" she asked her superior.

Remus sighed and looked from Harry to Lariana to Tonks. "There are two things here: one; we now know that they are organized but we still haven't a clue on what they are up to. And two; that Harry was injured pretty much because the backup took too long in coming to his aid."

Tonks leaned her head to a side and gave him the 'come on, quit the rubbish' look. "Remus, we both know Harry has taken down similar numbers without getting nearly killed."

"You're right, and that is another issue. All we have left to do is wait and be prepared-" he stopped when he heard a moan come from the bed. "Not rely on one man. He's also human and we might have lost sight of that aspect," he said and hurried to his side.

Lariana had been silent, just listening to all this auror talking. It was at the same time frustrating and scary to think that she lived with the Head Auror, one of the best aurors, and probably the most feared and hated auror amongst the 'bad guys', as she had taken to calling the Death Eaters and Dark Wizards. As soon as her ears picked a sound from Harry, she darted forward and took his hand. "Harry, can you hear me?"

He stirred again and slowly opened his eyes. "Hermione?" was the first word that came out his mouth as the word came back to focus for him.

Lariana sucked in a breath, but didn't let go off his hand as the other two gathered around the bed. "I'm glad you're all right," she said softly.

"Lar? Hey," he said with a small smile. "I thought I heard her- what happened?"

"Welcome back, handsome," Tonks said with a smile. "You were only knocked unconscious and nearly dead by a couple dozen Death Eaters. How are you feeling? You were out for almost two whole days."

"I- what?" he asked and then nodded his head. "Ah, I remember now," he said with a sigh. "Well, if a twenty pound anvil hadn't been dropped on my head, I'd be a hell better," he answered, sitting up.

Lariana quickly arranged a pillow on his back and laughed at his comment. "Yeah, well. Next time don't go to an anvil factory without a helmet," she continued his joke.

"I'll keep that in mind," he told her and winked. He looked around and saw Remus. "You know? Maybe at auror academy, they should teach them how to use Colloportus, don't you reckon?" he asked with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Consider it already in the Syllabus," he said cheerfully, but there was a look of deep apology in his eyes.

"It's all right, really. I'll put that on your account," Harry said with a genuine smile at him; the silent exchange between the two was admirable.

Remus smiled and leaned forward, kissing Harry's forehead; his scar, as he always did in situations like this. Harry looked around again and Remus knew what he was looking for. "She's not here," he said quietly, only for Harry to hear.

"I thought I heard-"

"She was here."

"All night."

"By your bed." The three informed him.

"But where-"

"Molly managed to drag her out for lunch. Harry, I know I haven't exactly been in favor of this-" He stopped when the door opened to reveal Molly, a shaken-looking Hermione and an embarrassed-looking Ginny. He looked up at the three women, wondering what they had been talking about. "Hello, you're just in time, he just woke up."

"Afternoon, sleepyhead," Ginny said flirtatiously, as she always talked to Harry ever since they had dated.

"Afternoon, Ginny. Hello Mrs. Weasley. Uhm… hi Hermione," he greeted the three and also noticed what Remus had; he frowned.

"Harry, dear! I'm so glad you are awake. I was so worried!" Mrs. Weasley exclaimed and gathered him in a breath-taking hug. He winced as her strong arms were around him, a small moan escaped his throat and she pulled back. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't- I'm happy you're all right," she said and kissed his cheek.

"Thank you, I'm glad I'm ok as well," he said with a smile and turned to Hermione.

"You know, I believe we have a lot of paperwork to do, right Tonks?" Remus started, sensing that they needed a moment alone.

After a moment and a puzzled look, Tonks picked the hint up. "Right! Yes, paperwork," she said quickly and turned to Lariana, who didn't seem to have any intentions of leaving. "Lar! Weren't we going to have lunch?" she tried.

"I- I'm not hungry Tonks, thank you," she said stubbornly.

"But Mione here brought us lunch, right?"

Hermione tore her eyes from Harry to focus on Tonks' short black hair. "Uh- ah! Yes, I did bring your orders," she said, trying to look for an excuse in her head to get away as well.

Tonks nearly yanked the bags from her hands and pretty much dragged Lariana out of the room, followed by Remus and Mrs. Weasley. She looked at Ginny as if she were her last chance.

"Uhm-well, we don't want them eating alone, right?" Ginny said lamely and followed the others quickly.

Hermione took a breath to speak, but Ginny was gone and she sagged, turning to Harry. "You should be more careful," she muttered.

"I- Mione…"

"No, Harry. It's all right," she answered what he was about to say.

"Why?" was all he asked with some helplessness in his voice.

"I- was just worried, that's all," she said, her voice shaking a little.

"You didn't hav- thank you."

"I told you, it's all right."

"You've always been there when I needed it the most, thanks for that too," he said, trying with not much success to draw this to a closure.

"I- must get back to the Prophet," she answered without meeting his eyes and she started to the door. She stopped in the doorframe and turned to him. "It was my pleasure," she said with a smile. "And you should know that Ron was here too," she finished and exited the room.

When she walked out, Ginny was in the Waiting Room, a look of expectance in her beautiful features. Hermione looked at her and couldn't even manage a small smile. The implication of what Harry had said ached her like a pressing finger on an open wound; and the truth in what Ginny had said earlier that day, drowned her in a never ending deep ocean.

When seeing Hermione's expression, Ginny walked to her friend and took her hand. "Hermione, I really am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings," she said honestly.

She took her hand back and looked at Ginny, her eyes over-bright. "Please, don't- I just need some time to myself right now," Hermione answered and walked to the apparating zone of the Hospital.

Ginny watched her go with pain in her chocolate brown eyes and sighed. "And you, too, know it's true," she said to the air.

Yes, I know it is true. And I also know that I am not the only victimary here, but things could have and should have been different. She thought to herself as she apparated back to her office, where she could forget, at least for a while, what had happened and what she'd been told today.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->