Unofficial Portkey Archive

What is love? by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What is love?

Rosali

What is Love?

CHAPTER I - The beginnings

***

(1996 - Little Whinging)

Harry had been stranded at Privet Drive for over a month now, but it hadn't been enough to take in all the feelings he had inside; everything that had happened just a few weeks ago. It had been too much, the whole past year. First, his friends not telling him anything; then, all the pointing and whispering at Hogwarts; that whimper Cho Chang and his first kiss; the DA; and finally that last encounter with Death Eaters... and Sirius.

Harry still couldn't believe what had happened; it couldn't be true. But he was gone. It was his birthday and he had only gotten three cards: from Ron, Hagrid and Dumbledore. Sirius's letter would never arrive, and just to better things up, Hermione had just forgotten about his birthday.

***

(1996 - Granger household)

Hermione had been at home, trying to write something to Harry for more than an hour, and all she'd gotten had been a few Dear Harry s, which she had crossed out over and over again.

"Happy Birthday Harry!" Yeah right' she thought to herself. It was obvious that a Happy Birthday Harry wouldn't make him even a little happy. After a while, she made up her mind and decided to go to Privet Drive. She would stay there with him until they got back to Grimmauld Place (very doubtful he would want to go back there, she thought) or to the Burrow. The muggles couldn't kick her out if she was standing at the doorstep; and if they dared, she al ready had a backup plan. She knew what they hated, so she had the higher ground. At last, she convinced her parents, took all her books (which she hadn't even touched!), clothes and Hogwarts stuff, and made her way to Harry's home on The Knight Bus.

Dark had fallen outside Privet Drive and tiny lights could be seen throughout the block of houses; all looking alike. Hermione arrived and stepped out. She paid and thanked the driver and the ticket boy, Stan.

Standing at the front door of Number four, she closed her eyes, took a deep breath and knocked. A tall, horse-like faced woman opened the door with a smile that faded as soon as she saw the bushy haired fifteen-year-old girl she'd seen at the station once before. She gave her a cold look "What are you doing here and what do you want?" Petunia asked.

"Er- is Harry home?" Hermione asked nervously in reply.

Petunia sniffed and glared at her. "What makes you think I will let another one of your crowd into my house?"

Hermione smirked: time for Plan B. Taking a deep breath, she began "Oh, Aunt Petunia! Why won't you let me in? I know you're mad at me but please, Aunt Petunia, please let me in! I love you so much and I'm so sorry!" she yelled and then let herself fall to her knees on the doorway, faking a desperate cry.

Almost immediately, heads started popping out of the different windows in Privet Drive, followed by indignant frowns and reproachful looks towards Number four. Petunia gasped and pulled Hermione to her feet and shuffled her into the house, faking a smile to her neighbors. "She's disturbed... she's just got out of the hospital..." the woman excused herself nervously and slammed the door shut.

Harry had also heard the scandal and popped his head out of his window. When he saw Hermione on the floor, on her knees, he burst out laughing. He finally pulled himself back together and ran downstairs, a wide grin spread through his face.

He stopped at the last step and looked at Hermione. She was wearing a very nice green t-shirt and tight jeans, and her hair seemed somehow less bushy than last year; maybe even like curls framing her face. He opened his mouth to greet her but closed it again at the sight of Aunt Petunia's lip tremble with rage. He was so glad Uncle Vernon was still at work and that Dudley was "having tea" at the Weinepher's.

Petunia's breath was shallow and paused. Hermione, too, wanted to greet Harry, but was staring nervously at Mrs. Dursley, as if she could jump and strangle one of them any second. Her look traveled from Harry to Hermione and back to Harry. She finally spoke.

"Very clever, you little brat." She said in a low voice that changed with the next sentence, "what the bloody hell did you think you were doing out there, crying like a cracked pot!"

Harry was startled, he had never heard Aunt Petunia use such a figurative language. "Do you have any idea of how many pies and visits it will cost me to get away from this one?!" She yelled. "You're definitely going back to the dump yard where you came from! You're not staying here! You'll be out as soon as the neighbors go to bed!"

Hermione looked sideways at Harry and he nodded with a nervous grin, so she looked back at Petunia. "If you do such a thing, I can assure you, you'll regret it. Your neighbors will know what an awful person you are and I'm going to make sure of that! Kicking your niece out…" she said threateningly and then smiled sweetly, "so where should I put my things, 'auntie'" she asked with a smirk.

Petunia gasped and narrowed her eyes. "You- you're going to pay for this. Freak! Witch!" she said, her finger pointing accusingly. She turned on her heels and went to the kitchen, collapsing on a chair.

Harry jumped out of his step with a wide grin. "Way to go, Mione! You were incredible!" he said and hugged her. It was good knowing that she hadn't forgotten, and even better that she was there.

Hermione hugged him back. "I'm sorry I came like this, Harry. Just that I was trying to write you a letter and- and I couldn't, so I- Happy Birthday, Harry!" she said gleefully and handed him a small package.

Harry looked at the package, excited. "Let's go upstairs, shall we?" he asked and took her bags.

When they got to the small room on the second floor, Harry sat down on his bed and opened the package. It contained a golden, nut-sized, little winged ball. Harry recognized it and his eyes flashed like a little boy's on Christmas day.

"Awesome! Wow, a snitch!" he said, still staring at it in disbelief. "This is by far the best present ever!" He hugged her again and did something he had never done before: he kissed her on the cheek.

She smiled a little and blushed. "I... I just thought this could distract you a little... you know? From everything." Something in her insides had turned upside down with that kiss but she ignored it, looked around, and smiled. "So this is where they torture you every summer…" she laughed.

Harry looked at her and laughed along. "Erm, well, yeah- I guess it is." He saw her bags and smiled. "So, does this mean you're staying here the rest of the holidays?" A few seconds later, he realized he hadn't chosen the words right, when he saw her face.

"Oh, no, Mione! That's not what I meant! Really! I'm sorry, I'll be glad if you stayed but- the only problem is that we'll have to share the room." He bit his lip and continued, "they definitely won't give you Dudley's room or let me sleep with him."

Hermione laughed softly, feeling silly. "Of course you didn't mean it that way! I'm sorry. But if I'm a bother, I can always go back, you know? And in any case, I don't think it would be a problem to share rooms as long as we don't share a bed," she laughed. Harry looked even more nervous. Hermione's mouth fell open and she did an effort to shut it again. "Uhm... I guess- we could, you know..." she said tentatively.

Harry bit his bottom lip again, "I- I'm sorry I can't offer you more… Wish we'd learned already how to transfigurate big objects…"

"No! It's ok, really!" She said and smiled gently.

He looked up and sighed, relieved. Finally, he smiled back. "Oh, and just for the record, you're never a bother. Well, maybe when you give us homework planners, but still-" he laughed. "Well, there's not much to show around my- er- our room." He laughed inwardly at the sound of these words and showed her where to put her things.

***

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->