Unofficial Portkey Archive

What is love? by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What is love?

Rosali

What is Love?

A/N: Ok, so I did the whole outline of the story and it is scheduled to have 31 Chapters, meaning it'll be a while till I finish it, but I promise to do everything in my power to not have you waiting forever for an update.

CHAPTER III

Farewell

It's such a shame, but I'm leavin'

Can't take the way you mistreated me

And it's crazy, but oh, baby

It don't matter, whatever, don't phase me

Uh, uh, uh

I don't believe you wanna leave like this

I don't believe I just had my last real kiss

I do believe we'll laugh and reminisce

Wait a minute, don't bounce, baby, let's talk about this, man

People make mistakes to make up, to break up,

To wake up cold and lonely, chill, baby, you know me

You love me, I'm like your homey

("All I have" - J-Lo&Nelly)

**************************

(2004 - Grimmauld Place)

**************************

The door to number twelve, Grimmauld Place creaked open; the silence pierced as the footsteps got lost in the huge hallway. Suddenly, a crashing sound echoed throughout the fourteen rooms and three doors opened with a slam, wands ready to attack.

A 24 year-old man stood in the middle of the lobby, wincing. He looked up at his flat mates and took a hand to the back of his head. "Sorry," he muttered and tried the sheepish smile.

"Great Merlin, Harry! You almost gave me a heart attack!" said a slender young woman, no older than 28. She was wearing very short, blond hair tonight.

"Next time, frustrations outside." Another man said grumpily. He had short light brown hair with whispers of grey mixed in it.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to," Harry excused himself rather lamely.

"Yadda, yadda, yadda. I know," the man said, waving his hand.

"Glad you're home. Next time, don't make so much noise, will ya?" A very beautiful young woman was resting a hand on the banister. She had dark brown hair and olive skin. Her intense green eyes scanned Harry from head to toe.

He returned her gaze and smiled. "I'm in one piece Lar, no worries. Just a little scratched, that's all"

She smiled back and bobbed. "Then I trust you can handle that yourself," she said.

Harry nodded back. "Night."

"Night, Harry."

"So if you're done with that-" she waved her hand, meaning all the noise, "and you're all right, then I'll be off"

"Sure, Tonks, good night"

The girls were off to bed; however, Remus stayed back and came down the stairs, going into the kitchen to fix some tea for both.

Harry followed with a sigh, he was expecting this but certainly the last thing he wanted to do right now, was give reports to his boss. He just wanted to hit the bed and drift off. Resigned, he sat down.

Remus came with two cups; one with Black Coffee and the other one had a Chai Latté. He placed the Chai in front of Harry and kissed his forehead in a fatherly manner; he was much more awake now. "Glad you're ok," he sat across from him and looked into his eyes. "How did it go?"

"Sommersot got away, yet again. We lost Langdey and Torres," Harry said emotionless.

Remus sighed and shook his head. "It seems they're picking us one by one," he mused, "was it the same this time?"

"I was left with Neville. Luckily enough, we managed to get away, though he was pretty hurt."

"How did he set it this time?"

Harry stayed silent for a moment, then he set his emerald green eyes on his old professor. "He set up a riddle game. He literally played with us!"

Remus didn't say anything at first, he was unperturbed by Harry's sudden outburst. Then he started slowly and quietly. "We need Hermione. She's pretty much the only one capable that we can tru-"

"Don't you dare…" Harry began.

**************************

(December 1997 - Hogwarts)

**************************

She stomped out of the empty classroom. Harry stared after her for a moment and turned around. He stopped and kicked the nearest chair as hard as he could; it flew a good two meters and smashed on the floor. He walked towards it and kicked it over and over again until his foot was too sore to continue and he leaned to rub it. "Bloody fucking hell!" he yelled. "Why does she have to be like that?!"

Harry sighed and stood, limping a little, he hurried as much as he could to catch up with her. When he turned in the corridor, he saw his best friend holding a sobbing Hermione in a very protective way; too protective; almost the way he held her when she was upset over something. He bit the jealousy back and spoke, "Ron, mate, can you excuse us one second?"

"No bloody way I'm doing that, Harry." Look at what you do, and it's not the first time," he spat.

Harry tried to hold his temper; Ron was right, but he wasn't her boyfriend. "Ron, I'd like to speak with Hermione, alone," he said in a forcibly calm tone.

"I told you Harry. I'm not leaving her alone"

I want to speak with my girlfriend, now," he demanded; a little louder than he had intended.

Ron was about to respond when McGonnagall came; she looked at the scene and at each one. "What on earth is going on here? Where do you think you are Mr. Potter?" she said in a severe tone.

No one answered at first, then Hermione pulled away from Ron and wiped her face. "We're going professor," she said, throwing glances at both boys; they followed.

When they were out of earshot; Harry stopped and took Hermione's hand, pulling her to him. "Listen, I'm-"

She pushed him away with all the will she had. "No, Harry. Not this time"

"What do you mean? I love you."

"And that proves either that you're a liar or that you have a very twisted sense of what love is." Her voice trembled, but she was firm on her saying.

"Hermione, what are you talking about? We always make up," Harry said softly.

"And then you do it again," Ron intercepted.

"Stay out of this, Ron," Harry said.

"No, Harry, this concerns him too."

"And how's that exactly? Please enlighten me, `cause apparently I missed when our relationship became a threesome," Harry said moodily.

Hermione stayed silent, not meeting his eyes.

Ron looked at them both, and decided to take the word. "Because you're not hurting her anymore," he just said and put an arm around her.

"Hermione?" Harry asked hesitantly, confused.

"I'm sorry Harry," she said and met his eyes for one second. Harry looked away, understanding written all over his face.

**************************

(2004 - Grimmauld Place, London)

**************************

He felt his heart break all over again, and then the familiar anger whenever he remembered that. Even though it had been six years since that, he still didn't know who he was angry with; him for being like that; Hermione for running away with his best friend; or Ron for doing that to him. He really didn't care that much anymore. He had a job and a life; all without them.

Harry finally forced himself out of bed and to the kitchen. Tonks and Lariana were already gone to the Ministry. Tonks still worked for the aurors, but not with Harry. He was in the Raidance squad, while Tonks worked for the surveillance and gathering team of the aurors.

Lariana held a very high position in the Department of International Magical Cooperation and had joined Tonks, Remus and Harry at Grimmauld Place a couple of years before.

He walked down the stairs and found the Head of the Aurors, Remus Lupin, sitting on the table. He looked up at Harry and smiled.

"Good morning."

"Morning Remus," Harry said with a yawn.

"Sleep well?"

"Beauty rest," Harry commented and grinned as he served himself breakfast.

"All fresh then?"

"Ready for my week off," he said gleefully.

"I'm asking Hermione to join us," Remus blunted out calmly.

Harry had his mug of coffee and dropped it when Remus said that last sentence. Great way to start morning, he thought. "No you're not."

"I have to."

"I'm sure there are plenty of clever witches and wizards out there," Harry responded quietly.

"Not that many who know as much as she does."

"And how does she know more than anyone at the Ministry."

"Do you seriously need to ask that?"

"You can't ask her, Remus. You know how the situation is," Harry set the pieces of the mug on the table louder than he would've wanted, they broke in smaller pieces and he cut his hand. "Bloody hell! Ascepcio," he tapped his wand to his hand and it healed.

"Harry, this is far more important than your personal affairs."

"I can't work with her."

"Are you a professional or a little teenage boy?"

"That is so unfair!"

"That's how it is. You have to put your feelings aside or I'll be forced to pull you out of the mission."

"You can't do that," Harry said, satisfied.

"Do I need to show you my rank? I can do it, believe me."

"You don't understand."

"What don't I understand? That she ran off with your best friend and broke your heart? That you know you had it coming and can't forgive yourself? That you have to get over it? It's been seven years for crying out loud!" Now he did raise his voice; Remus very seldom lost his temper, but he was losing it right now.

Harry couldn't do anything; he knew everything he had said was true, including the part of taking him out of the mission. And what angered him the most was that Remus knew that by saying all those things, he would get Harry to do whatever he wanted. He narrowed his eyes and glared at him. "Fine! Do as you please, boss."

"Harry…" he began, much more calm now.

"You're right, but that doesn't take away that what you said was a low trick."

"I'm sorry."

"Whatever," he said and apparated away. Remus sighed and shrugged, he really didn't have a choice.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->