Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Year of Secrets, Lies, and Betrayal by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Year of Secrets, Lies, and Betrayal

lillyfan16

Disclaimer Note: In this Chapter I have taken a few names out of the Name List on Mugglenet.com. The link is this http://www.mugglenet.com/characterlist.shtml. I do not own any of the names as J.K. Rowling made them up and had them published... Just wanted to make that clear to anyone who cared... Now on with this story....

Chapter 16: The Order

James stepped into the room that was filled with ten to fifteen adults who were sitting in a circle staring at Dumbledore who was standing up from his spot in the circle.

All the heads in the room turned and looked at James as he quickly closed the door behind him and walked up to the circle to sit down in one of the two empty chairs left near the doorway.

"James," said Dumbledore as he nodded his head at James. "As I was just telling everyone, we are worried about the att-...." Dumbledore stopped talking and stared at the door. The twenty some heads turned to look at the small red-head who had popped into the room.

"Lily!" exclaimed James, as he gaped at his wife-to-be.

Lily's head swiveled around the room in a very confused manner. She didn't understand what was happening.

Her eyes rested for a few seconds on the faces of all the adults sitting in the room. James' parents were there, sitting close to Dumbledore, and so were Remus' parents, and a few other wizards and witches that Lily didn't know because they were older than even her grandmother. The ones that she did know, were fairly famous. There was Nicolas Flammel, who Lily knew had invented a Sorcerer's Stone a while back, and lived in luxury. His wife was also sitting next to him, who Lily recognized from a picture. There was Agatha Chubb, who was expert in ancient artifacts, Mordicus Egg, an author, Dorkas Meadowes, Marlene McKinnons, Sturgis Podmore and Kingsley Shacklebolt, who had all graduated from Hogwarts the year before and were some of the top students from their grade.

Then there was Emmeline Vance and Ludislaw Zamojski who were both three years older than Lily and had been Head boy and Head girl in their year. Of course there was Edgar and Amelia Bones who were two of the Hufflepuff Heirs and both of them had graduated from Hogwarts two years before Lily. And there was also a woman named Cliodna who was famous for doing something mysterious for the Ministry that no one knew anything about. Sitting next to Cliodna was an upset Molly Weasley who was shooting dangerous looks at her husband Arthur sitting beside her. And finally there was Alastor Moody who was quickly becoming a very good dark wizard catcher.

Lily was scared. She had never before been in the presence of such famous wizards and witches, who would go on to do even more famous things after meeting them for the first time. She knew, what sat before her, was the best of the best. The witches who could cast charms faster than any other adult. And some of the wizards could transfigure anything they laid eyes upon. It took just one flick of their wands.

Lily took a step back nervously and stared at Dumbledore. She was worried she would get in trouble. She should never have followed Potter. She should have known he would lead her to trouble.

"Well, Miss Evans," said Dumbledore finally. "You can take a seat next to Mr. Potter." Lily walked shakily over to James who looked at her with wide eyes. "It's a pleasure of course, for you to join us, it was just going to be a matter of weeks before I'm sure I would have invited you to join this group. But tonight is a great time to join."

"You might be wondering who these people are," said Dumbledore. "Well these people, are the best. It is stated as simply as that. I have put together the best of the best to do the unthinkable. To form a union of powerful witches and wizards who can defeat the powerfully rising Lord Voldemort.

"The reason I hadn't asked you earlier to join us was because I was worried you would reject my idea. I felt that at the time when I put this group together, that you might be mad at me due to err... a decision I made about you and your future husband..." Dumbledore's eyes rested upon James' face before continuing.

"So right now Lily, I must ask you, before you learn any vital information about us. Are you willing to put your life at stake, for this group? Are you ready to fight evil? Are you prepared to beat evil? No matter what it takes? And finally, do you promise to someday, when The One arrives, do you promise to do as The One wishes, and obey every command The One gives you?"

"Yes," replied Lily confidently in a voice that didn't even sound like her own. "But...err... who is The One?"

The adults in the room raised their eyebrows at each other and exchanged looks that Lily didn't understand.

"The One," said Dumbledore, "has the love of the Father, Son, and Spirit of his Mentor. The One may be sitting in this circle at the moment, but it is believed by the prophecies, that The One will be born to someone in this circle, possibly even you Lily."

"I still don't understand," said Lily. "If The One hasn't been born yet than who are... err... we?"

"We," said Dumbledore as his eyes twinkled at Lily. "Are the Order of the Phoenix."

"Now Lily," said Dumbledore. "Take a good look around at who is sitting before you. Because you may never see some of these people ever again. Some, here, like the Bones, can not be known to be in the Order. Because, then they would be ignoring their heritage, but they have agreed, when the time comes, to side with Gryffindor."

Lily starred Edgar and Amelia, they looked scared. Lily smiled, incorrigibly at them and Amelia, a hard-faced and scared women, smiled back at Lily.

"I know that I can and probably will die," said Edgar with a smile. "And I'm pretty sure, that it will be my child that fights along side your child."

"M-my Child?" asked Lily as she looked questioningly at Dumbledore.

"Yes, Lily," answered Dumbledore. "All these people know that you and James are engaged."

"Oh," said Lily.

"All of these people are willing to die for the Gryffindor line to continue," said Dumbledore.

"But I still don't understand," said Lily as she starred at Dumbledore. "Why can't James just be The One?"

"The One, has a son," answered James father, Albert.

"So then you might be The One," said Lily excitedly, trying her best to ignore simple facts in her life. Albert shook his head in a very sad way.

"The line in me was passed down through my mother, it needs to be passed through the father," replied Albert.

"Enough with this nonsense," said Alastor Moody as he glared around the group. "We need to concentrate on fighting Voldemort or we will never be able to defeat him. All of you here, need to worry about how we will fight him. He is going to pick us off one-by-one if we are not careful!"

Lily's face began to drain in color. She was in so much danger to be killed and she had never realized how dangerous her life would be after Hogwarts. Yes, she would have protection from James, but still. There would be countless times when she would be fighting. Her life was no longer going to be easy.

"I'm in," said Lily. "I'm ready. Train me, and I will fight. Teach me, so that I can learn. I'm ready to fight him, no matter what it takes. I'm ready."

Dumbledore nodded and the meeting continued. Lily paid close attention and learned how members were trying to track down the men and women who might have aligned themselves with Voldemort. Lily was surprised to find how many old blood line families had sided with Voldemort. The only four who seemed to have sided with Dumbledore, were the Potters, Bones, Weasleys, and Prewetts. The Weasleys and Prewetts were known to have mainly children who were sorted into Gryffindor, so Lily was not surprised to see them.

As the meeting was over, members of the Order headed over to the large fireplace in the room, and quickly left. Finally, only the Potters, Dumbledore, Moody, and Lily and James were left standing in the room. Lily and James were standing near the fire as Lily had followed James over there as he said good-bye to some of his parent's friends.

Lily was surprised to watch as earlier, Nicolas Flammel, patted James on the back and congratulated him on making the Chocolate frogs. James didn't seem to realize he was talking to a legend though, and gave Nicolas a full description of what the card said. The two, parted as close friends.

"Well, Lily dear," said Emily Potter as she walked forward and hugged Lily. "I really need to be going. But promise me, you'll try and get along with James. " James rolled his eyes and tried to stifle a laugh when his mom gave him a disapproving look.

Lily agreed and watched as Emily said good-bye to her son and Dumbledore, before she walked into the fireplace. Albert shook hands with Dumbledore and Moody before walking over to where Lily was standing with James by themselves.

"I need you to watch James here," said Albert he laid a hand on James shoulder and looked into Lily's eyes. "He doesn't always follow directions, but if you take charge, things will progress." Lily was left gaping at him as Albert waved once again to Moody and Dumbledore who were deep in conversation, before heading to the fireplace his wife had disappeared into just moments before.

"Well, Lily," said James as he walked away form the fireplace and toward Moody and Dumbledore. Lily followed, still dumb-struck, over what had just occurred before her.

"Ms. Evans," said Moody as he surveyed her with his eyes. Lily began to feel uncomfortable when James cleared his throat. "Your small, you look like you could easily be hit and killed. Yet you want to be an Auror. You've got guts, I must say that, but guts won't get you far. You need to be STRONG!" Lily frowned and glared at the man before her. She did not like being reminded of how small she was.

"Do you know who I am Sir?" asked Lily as she took a step forward. "I am Lily Evans, daughter of two muggles. Yet I am top of my class. I am first in every subject except for transfiguration, where James is first. I have been a tutor to younger kids since my third year. I also participated in the Charms club my second through fifth year. I was made Prefect in my Fifth year where I held the spot proudly until this year, when I was made Head Girl. I might be small, but I am quick, and if you teach me, I will fight."

Moody looked a little surprised by Lily's outburst and Dumbledore smiled a knowing smile at Moody while James remained emotion less.

"As I was telling you Alastor. These are two of our top students. I would like for them to be part of your Auror training program if you will except. Or I suppose I can find someone else to train them," said Dumbledore with a look of knowledge that no one else contained.

"'Course I will Albus," said Moody as he looked at his friend next to him. Albus turned towards Lily and James and looked each of them in the eye carefully.

"Tomorrow night, Alastor here, will start your training for being an Auror. I know that you two will want to join, but I would also like if you could find a few more students who might want to join. And James, make sure that no one finds out that could use this information."

James and Lily nodded, and then quickly said there good-byes. Lily stepped out of the door and James followed her before shutting it quickly behind him.

"I'm sorry James," said Lily suddenly as they began to walk down the corridor. James stopped and Lily watched as he ran a hand through his air, trying to smooth it down, so it wasn't messy and curly.

"What are you sorry for Lily?" asked James surprised as he looked into her green eyes with a look of longing.

"For being stupid," replied as she glared at James. "You were being all nice to me so far this year.... and you've changed... I guess."

James eyes surveyed Lily's face and for one second, James looked pained, but it quickly faded from his face and eyes.

"So I want us to be friends," said Lily. "And I want to know everything about you before we get married."

"Everything?" asked James in a teasing matter. "Like what color my tooth brush is and what way I fold my socks? Or just the basics?"

"Everything," answered Lily as she took a deep breath and waited for his reaction.

"Well," said James as he broke eye contact with Lily and looked up and down the hall. "I'm not sure I am ready to share that kind of information with you. I don't know what you would do with it. You never know, you could be stalking me."

"James, I think it was you that stalked me in our Third year, if I am correct in saying," replied Lily as she smiled at James as he once again looked into her eyes.

"Am I flirting with James Potter?" thought Lily as starred up at James and gave him her best flirty smile, that she reserved only for her most favorite crushes.

"Well, Ms. Evans, I believe you are correct, as always. I did stalk you in Third year, and you liked it," said James as Lily gasped at James and playfully hit his arm.

"You... you...UGH!" screamed Lily as she glared at James and stomped her foot in frustration.

"We really need to work on your comebacks, that was horrible," said James. "Now what is your first question you have for me?" asked James when his face lit up and added, "Oh, good idea, just popped into my head, you ask a question, then I ask a question." James started walking along the corridor back to the common room. Lily followed him.

"OK, I'll go first," said Lily. "What is your favorite color?"

James face paused and he squinted it up, looking as if he was taking a long time to think of the answer. "Gold, because it's perfect." Lily shrugged and excepted that as an answer.

"OK my turn," said James as he looked at Lily as she walked beside him. "What is your favorite food?"

"Cream-cheese cake," replied Lily automatically.

"Really?" asked James as his eyes widened. "That's my favorite kind of dessert."

"Weird," replied Lily with a laugh. "Well what is your favorite food?"

"Mashed potatoes," replied James simply.

"Good," said Lily as she blushed and smiled at James. "I know how to make that."

"That's good," replied James. "Well, what is your favorite muggle sport?"

And that's how their conversations went. That's how Lily learned that James hated corn and how James learned that Lily hated French Toast. It's also how Jams realized how insecure Lily was really, deep down inside of her. And it's how Lily learned that James cared for people, very strongly, his friends meant the world to him.

AN:

Hiya I hope everyone enjoys this Chapter!! it's pretty long... And most off though I hope everyone enjoys HBP!! I know I will!!

Have a good weekend everyone ... hopefully I'll be able to post early next week!!

Thankx for reviewing

x0x0

Kaci