Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Year of Secrets, Lies, and Betrayal by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Year of Secrets, Lies, and Betrayal

lillyfan16

Chapter 24: The Trouble With Love is...

The trouble with love is... By Kelly Clarkson

The trouble with love is

It can tear you up inside

Make your heart believe a lie

It's stronger than your pride

The trouble with love is

It doesn't care how fast you fall

And you can't refuse the call

See, you got no say at all

*-*

The second Quidditch match for the Gryffindors was a game that would go down in record books for life. It was the end of February and was still snowing lightly from the storm the night before. It was late afternoon, almost dinner as the teams began to play.

James had pepped his team up with a good long pep talk about how bad the Hufflepuffs were. James knew his team was ready, he knew they would win. The wind was blowing lightly as James lead the way onto the field through the four inches of light snow that had fallen.

Madam Hooch blew her whistle and had James shake hands with the Hufflepuff's captain. Then James joined his team and was ready.

The balls flew up into the air as Madam Hooch blew her whistle and fifteen brooms rose quickly through the sky.

James reached out and quickly grabbed the Quaffle and passed it over to Sirius who quickly passed it to Katie who threw it through the left Hoop. A loud cheer rose from the Gryffindors as a few fans of Sirius led a chant for their team.

"Gryffindor is the best,

Potter, Sampson, Black, Anderson

Jankowski and the Tinders!

Are smarter and quicker than the rest!"

The Gryffindors all began screaming again as the Seeker, Jordan Jankowski went into a quick dive and reached out his hand and grabbed the Snitch that had been floating about twenty feet above the ground.

James let go of the Quaffle he had been holding after he had pried it from the Second Year Hufflepuff's fingers and had been about to throw it through the goal post when he had stopped.

"We won James!" screamed Katie as the two landed and began to hug Jordan and the other team mates.

"We did it!" screamed Sirius as he looked close to tears.

"We're going to go to state," yelled a First Year girl from Gryffindor as she ran out of the stands before anyone else and wrapped her arms around her boyfriend, Jordan.

"What's State?" asked Sirius.

"No clue," replied James as a smile captured his face as he saw Lily walk towards him.

"James," said Lily slowly as she stood before him and grinned up at him.

"Lily," said James as he smiled at her and took her left hand.

"I need to tell you something," said Lily as she took his left hand into her right hand.

"I need to tell you something too," said James.

"Let's go," said Lily as she began pulling James away from the storm of students who were lifting Jordan up on their shoulders and bringing him up to the castle.

"You go first," said James when they were far enough away from the Quidditch field and could hear each other talk.

"You know that I've been talking with your mom lately," said Lily as James nodded. "Well, she sent this letter and I think you should read it, I mean the last few sentences sound... bad."

Lily pulled the letter out of the pocket of her robe and handed it to James.

Dear Lily,

Your dress is just lovely; I saw the finished product today, finally. I'm hoping that you'll be able to come to Hogsmeade in a few weeks and I could show it to you. I would also like to talk to you in person.

There are a few things I would like to show you how about the charm bracelet and how to add a charm to the charm bracelet, in case you happen to die. I know it's not very likely because Hogwarts is so powerfully protected, but you never know these days.

Albert seems to have been working over-time these last few weeks. Voldemort has again been threatening to kill students at Hogwarts if we don't hand over the Ministry. Well, all I can say is Voldemort is very stupid if he thinks there is any way he can take over the Ministry. The Minister of Magic now has to have at least three or four Aurors guarding him at any time. But as long as we have Dumbledore, nothing will happen.

I am sorry for telling you these troubles; I don't know why I am. I've just been so scared these past few weeks, something big is going to happen, I can feel it. I can also feel me becoming sicker and sicker it seems.

I am so glad that James has you Lily, what would happen if I were to die? James would have no one to cook his dinner.

On a much happier note, the house is finally ready for you two! I've just started adding furniture that you picked out and hopefully when we meet in Hogsmeade you could give me a few more ideas for your bedroom.

Please write back and tell me if the March trip to Hogsmeade will work,

Love always,

Emily Anne Potters

"Well," said James finally as he moved his eyes away from the note and grinned into Lily's face. "I'm glad you get along well with my mother."

"James," groaned Lily as she took the letter away from James' hands and put it into her robe pocket. "That's not what I meant."

"I know that's not what you meant," said James suddenly as he quickly became serious and looked at Lily.

"OK, then is something happening that you are not telling me?" asked Lily as she looked at James with a desperate look.

"I'm not sure, but I think something is going to happen," said James. James sighed and ran a hand through his hair, something he did now only when he was really stressed. "I-I... I think something is going to happen.... And soon."

"What do you think will happen," replied Lily.

"Well," said James very slowly. "I have my suspicions..."

"Care to share," asked Lily with a little smile on her face. James sighed again and looked away from Lily and towards the lake and the last few people still hanging around the Quidditch field.

"Don't you think it's weird that no one at Hogwarts other than the Seventh years seem to be scared of Voldemort?" asked James.

"I hadn't really noticed..."

"See that's the thing... You'd think that at least the Fifth Years would be a little worried about Voldemort trying to take over the school... But they're not."

"So what's your point James?"

"That I think Dumbledore is stopping information about Voldemort from coming into Hogwarts."

"But that's good James, this way no one is worried that Voldemort will run into Hogwarts and murder us all in our beds." James shook his head and again ran his hand through his hair.

"It just doesn't make sense..."

"James you're not making sense..."

"Lily," said James slowly. "In our Fifth Year what were you most worried about... Wait, don't answer, I know; O.W.L.s, but apart from school work... What were you most worried about?"

"If my family was safe," said Lily quickly saying the first thing that popped into her head.

"Exactly, same with me and my mates, but no one else seems to care."

"So why do you think they don't care about their families?" asked Lily hesitantly, not really wanting to know James's answer.

"I have only three guesses," said James.

"And they are..."

"One, Voldemort has spies all over the school... Everyone knows that... I bet half the Slytherins themselves are already Death Eaters... I think it could be possible that his spies are spreading rumors that everyone in Hogwarts is safe... Or that Voldemort is only concerned about killing Muggles... Which we know isn't true... Voldemort doesn't care who he kills..."

"But if his spies are doing that," said Lily slowly. "Then it's likely no one will really believe the warnings that The Prophet has been giving out every day."

"Exactly, but another option is, is that the younger kids don't care about their families."

"Impossible James, everyone cares about their families... Even Sirius who hates them... He still wouldn't want anyone killed..."

"Well my third guess is Dumbledore... and us."

"Dumbledore and us?"

"Us," said James.

"I see the Dumbledore part... People always feel safe when they're with him... But us... we're just Heads."

"Lily don't you see?" said James as he finally looked up into the mysterious green eyes he loved. "Dumbledore has been using us."

"No he hasn't... He never would!" said Lily as she stood up.

"He is using us..." said James as he stood up also.

"James," said Lily slowly as if she was talking to a little kid. "I understand that you are under a lot of pressure with homework, Quidditch, the Order, Auror practice, and Head duties... But I think you may be going crazy."

"I'm not Lily," said James as he reached out and grabbed Lily's hand before she could run away. "Listen to me... Why do you think Dumbledore had us get engaged before the school started? He easily could have waited until after Hogwarts... He practically blackmailed us into admitting to everyone that we wanted to be married.... He would have told Hogwarts that we had an arranged marriage if we hadn't done things the way we did. And now he is making us act like we like each other..."

"Yeah, I know that James," said Lily slowly not knowing where this conversation was going to lead her. "But we both know that it's not real... We don't actually like each other... And we only have to pretend for a little bit longer..." James blinked and a little fire seemed to rise inside him.

"Dumbledore can be just as evil as Voldemort at some times," replied James.

"No he isn't James... Dumbledore is nice, kind, and he cares about us... That's why he told us to pretend we like each other... He didn't want to ruin our reputations!"

"You have never seen the Dumbledore I have," said James as he let go of Lily's hand and glared at her through his hazel eyes.

"You must be seeing things then.... Because the Dumbledore I know always has a twinkle in his eye... And he's nice... Even to people who have made bad choices... He gives everyone a second chance..."

"No one deserves a second chance... And you're wrong about Dumbledore... Have you ever wondered why people say Dumbledore is the only man Voldemort fears?"

"No," lied Lily who had been only thinking about that a few days before.

"Because Dumbledore will do anything to defeat dark wizards... It's what he hates more then anything in the world," said James.

"And how do you know this?" asked Lily, who was rather close to tears of anger, sadness and disappointment.

"Because I know things Lily... Because I listen... And I know you weren't the girl I was originally planned to marry..."

Lily stood their in silence as she saw the angry look in James face.

"And who were you suppose to marry?" asked Lily sarcastically, not being able to hide the hurt in her voice.

"Forget I said that," said James as he turned away.

"You are so pathetic Potter!" shouted Lily as tears began to spill out of her eyes and James walked towards the forest.

"I'm pathetic," said James as he turned away from the forest and faced Lily.

"Yes you're pathetic!"

"I'm not the one who won't admit what's happening to me."

"What!" shouted Lily in rage and tears. "Do you mean by that?"

"I haven't been acting Lily... And I know you haven't been either!" retorted James.

"I have never liked you Potter and I never will! You are just as much of a stupid airhead as the day I met you on the train to Hogwarts!"

"And you are just as much as the goody-two shoes girl who likes to pretend things are not happening to her when they are!" shouted back James.

"Well, I would rather be that than what you are!"

"And what am I Lily? Stupid, loud, annoying... Mean? And am I mean Lily?"

"No," said Lily. "You are a liar!" James stopped walking towards the forest and his shoulders slumped as he looked at Lily.

"Is that what you think I am Lily? Do you think I would lie to you about something stupid like the fact that I love? That I've been in love with you since you told me that the Sorting Hat had told you something about your future?"

"You love someone else!" shouted Lily. "I know you do!"

"Would I honestly be running around with you everywhere if I didn't love you? Would I give you everything I could to try and get you to like me if I still loved someone else? Would my whole body tingle when I kiss you if I loved someone else?" asked James.

"No," thought Lily as she looked straight at James. "I think you would lie about it if it made life easier for you... I think you've just been telling yourself that you love me... when deep down you still love her."

"Her who," said James sarcastically.

"Jordan," said Lily as James's face grew pale and he turned away from Lily and ran into the forest.

As soon as James had disappeared into the forest tears gushed out of Lily's eyes... Had she really just had a fight with James over Jordan? Did she really call him a liar? She knew one of the things James prided himself most for was always being truthful and honest.

Lily ran past a group of Hufflepuffs who were heading back from dinner. They looked at Lily with surprised eyes as she ran towards the Gryffindor Common Room.

She stepped through the portrait and saw it was deserted; everyone must be at dinner celebrating the great victory. Lily ran into her dorm room and began bawling on the top of her lungs, and then stopped.

Someone else was in there too, someone else was crying in the bathroom.

"Alyssa," called out Lily as she tried to turn the locked door to the bathroom.

"What," came the muffled voice from inside.

"What's the matter?" asked Lily as the tears stopped flowing from her eyes, when she had realized her friend was crying.

"I can't tell you," said Alyssa.

"Why not?" asked Lily. "Maybe I can help." Lily felt the door handle move and out stepped Alyssa.

If Lily had thought she might look bad from crying, she was no where near as bad looking as Alyssa appeared to be.

"You've been crying," said Alyssa as she spotted Lily's red and swollen eyes.

"So have you," replied Lily.

"Where's James?" asked Alyssa.

"Where's Theodore?" asked Lily in a sarcastic reply as tears appeared again in Alyssa's eyes. "Oh no, you didn't break up." Lily reached out and hugged her friend tightly before letting her go.

"N-N-N-not yet," said Alyssa.

"Why?" asked Lily. "What happened?"

"I can't really talk about it... But really... Why have you been crying? Trouble in Paradise already?"

"I can't really talk about it," said Lily in reply.

"An ear for an ear," said Alyssa hopefully.

"Deal," said Lily, she really did need to talk about it, and Alyssa would be perfect. "I told James that I knew about Jordan..."

"Oh... Not good," said Alyssa.

"And you?" asked Lily.

"I... I... I... I'm pregnant," said Alyssa.

"WHAT!" shouted Lily as she smiled at Alyssa. "Why are you upset, that's great! You love babies!"

"B-because I'm not sure who the father is," replied Alyssa in an almost whisper as she glared at the floor.

"You don't know who the father is," said Lily slowly trying to take in the words Alyssa had uttered. "But who else could it be than Theodore?" Alyssa looked up at Lily with a guilty look on her face.

"James," said Lily in a whisper, letting go of Alyssa's hand. Her face had gone pale her stomach had dropped to her feet. She needed something to drink. She needed to lie down. She needed to shout. She needed to yell at James. She needed to take the stupid ring of her finger.

"Are you kidding me," said Alyssa as she let out a hyena laugh. "I tried to get James for almost two years and he never once even gave me a kiss! No, I was talking about Sirius you idiot!"

"Sirius," said Lily as excitement once again rose to her face. "You're pregnant with Sirius' child! Oh No! You haven't said anything to Theodore or Sirius yet have you?"

"No course not... I just did the test today... I've missed my period twice in a row now... blamed it on stress... But I knew it wasn't!" replied Alyssa as fresh tears spread down her face.

"I'm so sorry Alyssa... I don't know what to say... Aren't there tests you can do?" asked Lily.

"Course there are... I'm just not sure I want to know who the father of my kid is..." said Alyssa.

"But if it's Theodore than everything will be ok," said Lily hopefully, knowing full well it wouldn't be.

"If it is Theodore than I'll have to get married to him like within a week... I'm two months pregnant Lily. You start showing at about six months... That's June!"

"You're two months pregnant? What about all the symptoms... Nausea, vomiting and queasiness?" asked Lily.

"I've got it... Why do you think I said I had the flu?"

"I-I... I thought you did!" said Lily as she remembered when she had seen Alyssa wake up one morning. And run into the bathroom, where she had thrown up... She had said she was going to Madam Pomfrey, and later that day she had been back in class saying she had been feeling fine.

"I know... I lied to you!" said Alyssa.

"So when are you going to tell him?"

"Which him," said Alyssa with a shaky laugh.

"I'd tell Sirius first... So if it is Sirius' kid... You two can find out what to do..." said Lily.

"Shh.. someone's coming... Don't tell anyone," said Alyssa in a rushed and desperate tone.

"Oh my goodness!" shouted Bekka as she ran into the Dorm room with Katie walking in sheepishly behind her.

"What?" asked Alyssa as she shot one last warning glance at Lily that plainly read Don't you dare tell!

"Remus just admitted to like the whole entire Gryffindor table that he and Katie did IT!" said Bekka as she rushed out the words.

"What!" exclaimed Lily and Alyssa at the same time. Katie rolled her eyes and grinned at Lily.

"I wanted to tell you guys, but Remus said not to. He didn't want people knowing I wasn't virgin, he said it would ruin my reputation," said Katie as she smiled and sat down.

"It was hysterical..." said Bekka. "I was making fun of Katie and was like Virgin Katherine please pass me the butter... Virgin Katherine please hand me the orange juice... And then Remus was like stop calling her that! And I was like why? And then he said... really loud... SHE'S NOT A VIRGIN!" Bekka, Alyssa, and Lily laughed as Katie blushed.

"Wow..." said Alyssa

"So have you guys done it A LOT?" asked Lily.

"No, just twice, after the ball... And after our date in Hogsmeade..." replied Katie as she smiled.

"Well, I guess I am the only virgin Seventh year left in Gryffindor," said Lily with a laugh that ended in a sigh.

"You're not," said Alyssa. Lily raised an eyebrow at her friend in a questioningly way. "Peter."

"Oh, yea," said Katie as she laughed with Lily.

"He's not!" said Bekka as she blushed.

"Oh my Goodness," screamed Lily as she threw a pillow from her bed at Bekka.

"That's disgusting..." said Alyssa.

"Yea, well I felt sorry for him," said Bekka.

"If I slept with every guy I felt sorry for than I'd be the biggest whore in the school," said Alyssa.

"I still can't believe you did it Katie..." said Lily.

"I still can't believe you hadn't," Bekka said to Lily.

"There's so many risk... S.T.D.'s, Aids, getting pregnant," said Lily as she shook out the last word.

"Well it's worth it," said Bekka.

"No it's not," said Alyssa sadly.

"It is if you get a lot of guys," said Bekka with a laugh.

"How many have you honestly had sex with?" asked Alyssa. Bekka thought for a moment.

"Six," replied Bekka. This time Alyssa threw a pillow at Bekka's head.

"And how many of them were wizards?" asked Katie.

"Three," replied Bekka simply.

"Who?" asked Lily.

"My brother's friend Kevin and Peter," replied Bekka.

"That's two," said Lily. "Who's the last one?"

"Sirius, but who hasn't done it with him?"

"Me!" said Lily and Katie as they both raised their hands. Alyssa smiled at Bekka and then laughed.

"You can't help who you love," said Bekka.

"And that's the trouble with this so called love business..." said Alyssa. "It ruins any fun you can have at night!"

"I know something we could have fun with," said Lily with a sly smile.

"No we are not testing you on Charms since you have had the Gendhio charm memorized since your sixth year," said Alyssa.

"Thank you for that compliment, but I meant we still have the end of a dare to finish with the Gryffindor boys!"

AN: Hey guys! Thankx for reading.. This chapter was long so I hope you enjoy it... The next chapter I am having difficulty on because it's A)long and B) rather confusing... I'll put it up as sooon as i can!

In the mean time

Please read the prequel to this story http://fanfiction.portkey.org/story/5041

It's called the sorting hat... And It'll be really bad to anyone who hasn't read this story... so if you've read this story then you'll enjoy the prequel...

PLEASE REVIEW

x0x0

Kaci