Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Year of Secrets, Lies, and Betrayal by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Year of Secrets, Lies, and Betrayal

lillyfan16

Chapter 22: From This Moment On

AN: BOLD IS JAMES, Italics are Lily, Pink is both singing... /AN

Lily set down the silver brush in her hand and looked in the mirror. Her red hair was pulled up in a few tiny twist, to keep it out of her face. And the rest fell down on her back. She had used her wand to help curl her hair into loose ringlets before running a brush softly through her hair.

Lily had never been a big fan of make-up, but decided to lightly circle her eyes with a light brown eye liner. Alyssa had insisted on adding a tad of light green eye shadow on Lily's eye lids, and after Lily looked in the mirror, she liked the outcome. Alyssa had also lightly coated Lily's eyelashes with mascara and added a little blush on Lily's cheeks.

Lily's dress robes were very pretty. They were a bright green that matched her eyes perfectly. Bekka, who had a knack with clothes, had added a soft ripple of flowers along the bottom of Lily's robe in a white colored thread. To Lily they felt like basic robes, except green.

Katie, the jewelry expert of the four friends, had given Lily some pretty dangling gold earrings that looked fabulous on Lily. Of course, Lily had James necklace on her throat and on her left wrist was a single thing gold bracelet that had been given to Lily by her grandparents a few years ago.

Lily's shoes had been a little problem. Lily had never been to any of the dances at Hogwarts before and had never been to any dances in her muggle neighborhood either. None of the girls in the dorm had extra shoes that would go with Lily's outfit. After some good hunting by Bekka, a fifth year girl let Lily borrow a pair of plain gold high healed shoes, that didn't look very fancy, but were very comfortable.

Lily had been a little worried that her outfit would be plain compared to her three friends outfits that were all wearing dazzling dress robes. But after Lily was dressed and the four girls were looking at each other, Lily really did out shine her friends.

Even though everything Lily had was plain, except her necklace, it all went perfect with her outfit. Lily's eyes were sparkling with excitement and she couldn't wait for James to see her.

Her heart did a small flip-flop as she thought of James waiting for her in the Common Room. He would love how she looked.

"These roses are just darling," said Katie as bent forward and smelled the white roses sitting on Lily's bedside. Katie was wearing a dark midnight blue dress robe and had her long dark brown hair swept up in a high pony tail on top of her head. Her hair was very straight and even though it was in a pony tail, fell to her mid back. Her baby blue eyes were sparkling with delight over meeting her mysterious date. He said to her that he would be holding pink roses, and would be standing right outside the Gryffindor Common Room. Alyssa, Katie, and Lily had gone through all the possible boys they thought it would be and had finally decided he must be younger, since none of the Seventh Year boys were still single.

Bekka was wearing a bright pink dress robe that had a million thrills and ruffles, yet still looked very cute. Her long light brown hair was twisted up in a sophisticated bun that looked dazzling with her pretty pink flowers she had twisted in with her bun. Her hazel eyes were also dancing with delight, even though she had not gotten the first pick on her list for the dance.

Bekka had asked Remus Lupin to the ball, but he had refused, mumbling something about probably going with someone else. Bekka had been quite embarrassed, but Lily knew Bekka was no where near as embarrassed as Remus was because Lily had heard James and Sirius harassing Remus during History of Magic for the last two weeks.

Bekka, after being turned down, decided she would have to at least go with a Marauder, and had said yes to Peter's invitation. Bekka looked quite good and Lily knew that Bekka would enjoy going with Peter even though he was no where near as good looking as Remus was.

Alyssa was going with her promised husband Theodore and she looked absolutely stunning. She had worn her short blonde hair into tight small curls and it looked very cute. Her eyes were a dark blue, even though they looked quite purple with her royal purple robes that made her look skinner and more like a super model than she could ever dream of.

"Girls," said Alyssa with a note of excitement in her voice. "It's quarter to seven, we should head down." The girls nodded, all of them a little to nervous to speak.

Alyssa lead the way and was followed by Bekka, and then Katie. Lily took up the rear. Lily shut the dorm door with one last glance at the white roses that were shinning beautifully in the dark, it looked like an angel dancing.

Silence filled the Common Room as the four lady witches flowed down the staircase. At once a Sixth year boy, who obviously didn't have a date, walked up to Alyssa and held out his arm, he was walking her down the Great Hall where she would be meeting Theodore.

Bekka looked as if she was dancing as a blushing and very happy looking Peter walked up to her and kissed her very gentlemen like on the hand. Bekka giggled, and took Peter's arm and waited for the rest of her friends to come down.

Katie walked into the Common Room and a gasp was let out of a few of the boys and possibly a few girls as they looked at the beauty in front of them. Katie rarely tried to dress up and impress anyone, but when she did. Katie was a beauty.

Last, but not least, was Lily as she danced happily into the Common Room. James at once, looking very handsome in a dark blue dress robe walked up to Lily and kissed her sweetly on the cheek. He then handed her a single beautiful white rose. Lily took the flower, kissed the petals, and with a flick of her wand it went zooming up the staircase to join the other white roses James had sent Lily.

"You look amazing," said a rather heavy Fifth year girl named Marisa as she passed Lily.

"Thanks Marisa, you look great too," said Lily. Marisa smiled and flew out the Common Room door.

"Ready to go?" asked Sirius as he bounded over to James and Lily. Sirius was holding hands with Silva, who looked great. Silva didn't have her glasses on, and her pretty blue eyes were literally dancing with delight. Her light brown hair was lightly curled and flowed a little past her shoulders.

"Ready Lily?" asked James, speaking for the first time that night to Lily.

"Mhmm," replied Lily, not trusting herself to speak due to the many butterflies that had filled her stomach when she saw James standing at the bottom of the staircase.

"Katie," said Lily quietly. Katie, looking very pale followed Lily and James out the Common Room. Lily let out a loud gasp as she saw who was standing outside the Common Room. Her gasp was followed by a loud shriek of surprise that Katie had let out as they both saw Remus Lupin looking guilty at Katie as he handed her a bouquet of pink roses..

*-*-*-*

Fifteen minutes later, Sirius and Silva led the group through a crowd of students standing outside waiting for their dates from the other houses. Alyssa found Theodore quickly and he kissed her lightly on the cheek and told her she looked cute. Alyssa smiled at all the Ravenclaws as they praised her on her dress robes and hair.

Lily felt a pull on her hand and followed James into the Great Hall. It was decorated without belief. Never melting ice crystals filled the room. Beautiful swan ice sculptures were lined up against the walls. The Professor's table was decorated with little birds that kept chirping and flying around the table to visit the other birds.

Instead of the four house tables that normally filled the hall, a bunch of little tables that each sat eight filled the room. Sirius at once grabbed a table that was near enough the Professor's table, so that he could see what they were up to, but not close enough for them to be able to hear what he was talking about. It was also close to the stage that the band would be playing on that night.

Sirius and Silva sat down together, and Silva looked so happy that Lily barely recognized her. Remus and Katie sat down together, both blushing very much and Katie was holding a handful of pretty pink roses in her left hand.

Peter, trying to be a gentlemen had pulled out Bekka's chair for her, but when he tried to push it in, he accidentally pushed Bekka forward and she bumped her chest against the table. Peter, blushing, dropped down in the chair next to her.

James held out the chair for Lily, though he seemed to have his mind else where as he sat down in his own chair. He said something unworthy of repeating to Remus about a few Slytherins who were sitting in the corner of the room. Remus laughed lightly and Katie flashed a small smile gratefully at James.

Sirius and Silva were discussing, much to Lily's surprise, school subjects. Sliva was trying to decide if she wanted to take Muggle Studies as a fourth year and Sirius was pointing all the pros and cons out for Silva if she took the subject.

James and Remus were talking about some prank they had played on the school in their Third Year. Katie was laughing at all the right moments and Remus seemed like he couldn't keep his eyes off her for long. Peter and Bekka, both looking a little uncomfortable had laughed at James and Remus, a little too loud.

James, was ignoring Lily. She was beginning to feel a little uneasy as she tried to catch James eye, and failed, for the first time in her life. Her palms had begun to sweat, something that happened when ever Lily became really nervous. Lily began to wonder if maybe James was nervous about their song they had to sing tonight also.

Lily scanned the great hall and saw Alyssa laughing over some joke Theodore had said to a group of Ravenclaws. Finally Dumbledore stood up and the students hushed up and looked at him expectantly.

"Welcome to the Winter Wonderland Ball," said Dumbledore with a large smile. A ripple of applause went through the crowd, led mainly by Sirius who was hooting with delight. "I hope every enjoys dinner, and then afterward the dance, which will be kicked off by our two wonderful heads, Ms. Lily Evans and Mr. James Potter." Sirius at once started clapping again and the Great Hall broke out in applause. Dumbledore sat down and leaned forward and picked up the menu that had magically appeared in front of his plate and everyone else's plates too.

He thoughtfully looked at the menu before tapping the plate in front of himself and saying loud and clearly, "Pork chops." Pork chops appeared on his plate before he looked back at the menu.

Lily grabbed the menu in front of her even though she really didn't feel like eating. Her stomach was so full of butterflies that Lily was sure that no food would fit inside of it.

Sirius and Silva were having a great times with the menus and the plates and were tapping each others plates and saying tons of different foods and their plates were quickly filled.

Remus and Katie had both ordered hamburgers and French fries. James had simply tapped his plate and said mashed potatoes, a heap of mashed potatoes and gravy had appeared on his plate.

Bekka had filled her plate, to Lily's surprise, with a large amount of spaghetti. Peter, feeling he should eat the same things as Bekka, had also filled his plate with spaghetti.

"Salad," said Lily at last, feeling she should say something. The meal seemed to slip by very quickly to Lily, as she became even more nervous as she listened to the conversations and laughing going on around her.

James seemed to really be enjoying himself, even though he had said only two words to Lily that night. Bekka, noticing that Lily was being quiet, asked her if she was nervous about her song that she had to sing. Lily had told Bekka she was, and the rest of the table hearing this, just supposed that was why Lily was being so quiet. Much to Lily's displeasure, all the plates cleared and everyone in the room had stood up and pushed their chairs into the tables.

Dumbledore stood and with a flick of his wand, the tables were pushed up against the walls. A large stage raised out of the floor, holding a male singing group by the name of "Lone Diamond." Apparently the band was a very famous wizarding band because all the kids from wizarding families began to clap with excitement.

Dumbledore nodded towards Lily and James. James reached for Lily's hand and pulled her toward the stage. The lead singer of the band, with a smile, handed Lily and James each a microphone. Lily swallowed weakly, reminding herself that James was a very good singer and would be able to cover any high notes she needed to sing.

A member in the band lightly started playing his guitar.

"Close your eyes Lily," said James patiently. And Lily closed her eyes. One of her hands was clutching the microphone and her other was holding tightly onto James hand. Lily felt a tight squeeze from James and she began:

"I do swear that I'll always be there.
I'd give anything and everything and I will always care.
Through weakness and strength, happiness and sorrow,
for better for worse, I will love you with
every beat of my heart."

The piano began to play quietly and Lily felt another squeeze from James and her eyes remained firmly closed, she did not want to see the other students laughing at her embarrassment. Even though Lily was a fine singer, and James was quite good, she still didn't like singing in public.

Most years the heads would sing a silly song that would make the audience laugh. James had tried picking a silly song, but Lily didn't like to be laughed at, even if it was a joke. So, Lily had chosen her favorite muggle song, and James, had loved the song.

"From this moment life has begun," sang Lily as a few people began to giggle.

"From this moment you are the one," replied James as someone laughed.

Right beside you, is where I belong,

From this moment on

From this moment I have been blessed

I live only for your happiness

And for your love I'd give my last breath
From this moment on

I give my hand to you with all my heart
Can't wait to live my life with you, can't wait to start
You and I will never be apart
My dreams came true because of you

From this moment as long as I live
I will love you, I promise you this
There is nothing I wouldn't give
From this moment on

You're the reason I believe in love
And you're the answer to my prayers from up above
All we need is just the two of us
My dreams came true because of you

From this moment as long as I live
I will love you, I promise you this

There is nothing

I wouldn't give

Form this moment


I will love you

I will love you

As long as I live
From this moment on (on)

At the last twange of the guitar, Lily opened her eyes, expecting to see the students laughing at her, instead she saw James, kneeling in front of her. The stage was covered in white roses and Lily saw that Sirius, Peter and Remus were all kneeling beside James, looking at Lily happily.

"Lily Evans, will you marry me?" asked James with a hint of glimmer and laugh in his eyes. He withdrew from his dress robe, a small ring box and opened it showing a large gold ring covered with small diamonds, very much like her necklace. Lily gasped and at once felt her stomach do a small flip flop as she looked in James' eyes.

Next to James was Peter, Remus and Sirius who had all pulled out little boxes and opened them too. In Peter's box was a pair of gorgeous dangling gold earrings that was covered in small diamonds. In Remus box was a pretty silver necklace with one diamond, shaped in a lovely L. And finally in Sirius' box was the most beautiful charm bracelet Lily had ever seen. Lily could tell it was a piece of jewelry that had been passed down from family member to family member because it was already nearly filled with charms of all assortments.

"Say yes," said Sirius finally, breaking the tense noiseless room. A few people giggle silently as everyone in the whole school watched for Lily's reaction.

"Yes, James," answered Lily. Sirius let off a large yell as James stood up and slipped the ring on Lily's finger perfectly. Lily leaned forward and kissed James intently on the mouth and Sirius let off another yell and the Great Hall erupted in applause.

Lone Diamond at once began to play their hit single "Magic in The Air," and couples were on the floor, dancing away. James, clutching Lily's hand tightly, pulled her towards their table, where everyone was sitting waiting for them to get back.

"Finally," said Sirius with a brilliant smile. Lily and James sat down and Sirius pushed towards her the three boxes of jewelry the boys had been holding.

"What?" asked Bekka.

"Finally James asked Lily," said Remus.

"He's been talking about how he should do it since the first Quidditch match of the season," said Peter.

"He said he knew then," said Sirius.

"That Lily would be his wife someday," said Remus.

"And let's hope he's right," said Peter.

"I think they make such an adorable couple," said Sirius.

"Oh, I agree," said Remus.

"Me too," said Peter.

"And I think we should dance," said Silva as she tapped Sirius on the shoulder.

"If Milady wants to dance, then we dance!" said Sirius as he jumped out of his seat and pulled Silva out of her chair. They both laughed and jumped out onto the dance floor where they began to dance crazily to the fast song that was being played.

Peter turned to Bekka and asked her to dance. She said she would love to and then the two got up and joined Silva and Sirius who were creating a new way of dancing that involved lots of jumping around and looking like animals.

Katie and Remus smiled at each other, both still looking a little uncomfortable.

"Lily!" screamed a gorgeous blonde that ran towards Lily from where lots of Ravenclaws were sitting.

"HI Alyssa," said Lily with a hint of amusement in her eyes.

"You never told me you would be marrying Potter!" said Alyssa as she walked up to Lily and gave her a hug, ignoring James who was sitting right next to Lily.

"Well," said Lily slowly, as she tried to control her self from laughing. "I am dating him, and most people eventually get engaged after they realize they really like each other."

"I know, I know," said Alyssa with a roll of her eyes. "But still, you're marrying Potter! You HATED him for like the last six years of your life."

"Are we just going to ignore me?" asked James.

"Yes," said Lily and Alyssa together.

"Then I am going to find someone to dance with," said James, this time Lily rolled her eyes.

"Katie," said James as he stood up and walked over to the other side of the table where Katie and Remus were sitting uncomfortably talking about the weather. "Would you care to dance?" Katie looked over at Remus who gave her a small smile, and then at Lily who had dropped her jaw and was blushing.

"Sure James," said Katie as James helped her up and took her out on the dance floor where they joined Peter, Bekka, Sirius, and Silva.

"Well," said Alyssa. "I need to go join Theodore."

"Bye Alyssa," said Lily as Alyssa walked back to her boyfriend. Lily looked up and saw Remus looking at her with a questioningly look on his face.

"Would you like to dance Lily," said Remus.

"OF course," said Lily as she stood up and joined Remus. The fast song ended and a slow song started up. Lily smiled at Remus and slipped her arms around his head as he put his arms around her waist.

"So you're going to marry James," said Remus in Lily's ear.

"Yeah, I am."

"I'm glad," said Remus. Lily looked up and saw Remus was smiling at her.

"Why, I mean... I know your his friend... But so is Sirius... And he didn't seem happy when James and I started dating... Even though now he looks happy about it," said Lily.

"Sirius is a jealous little puppy, but he'll get over it. I think if Sirius had to pick one girl for James to marry, it would be you."

"But why me?" said Lily almost more to herself than to Remus.

"Lily, don't you realize... James loves you," said Remus. Again Lily lifted her head off Remus' chest and looked up at him.

"He... loves me?" said Lily.

"Of course he loves you... He's loved you since he met you on the train in our first year... He told us when you left... He'd marry you someday... He's been trying to forget about you since that day..."

"Why would he want to forget about me?"

"Because if he ended up marrying someone else... he didn't want to live with the disappointment of not having you," said Remus.

"But he couldn't," said Lily.

"He couldn't," assured Remus.

"But why couldn't he?" asked Lily.

"Because your unforgettable," said James as he lifted Lily's hands up over Remus' head and placed them over his own head and slipped his arms around Lily's waist. Remus turned to Katie who was standing where James had left her. Remus slipped his arms around Katie's waist and the two danced away.

"I'm unforgettable, am I?" said Lily with a light laugh.

"Mhmm," said James as he kissed Lily's forehead before she rested her head on his chest and finished off the slow dance. For the rest of the night the Gryffindors danced away. At midnight the dance ended to a lot of peoples displeasure. James walked Lily up to the Gryffindor tower where he kissed her goodnight outside the Common Room. He said he had plans to meet Sirius in a few hours and had to go prepare.

Lily walked into the dorm room and changed into her pajamas as she waited for the rest of the girls to come back from the dance. About half an hour later Katie bounced into the dorm room and gave Lily a surprised look.

"What are you doing back here?" asked Katie as she sat down next to Lily on her bed and gave Lily a hug.

"Umm.. getting ready for bed," said Lily as she gave Katie a surprised look.

"Did you and James fight?" asked Katie as she pulled out of the hug and held onto Lily's hand.

"N-no," said Lily. "Where is everyone?"

"Lily," said Katie patently as if she was talking to a small child. "We're Seventh years... "

"I know," said Lily as she started at Katie.

"Well, it's tradition for Seventh years to... you know... umm...," said Katie as she raised one of her eyebrows.

"To..."

"To do it..."

"To do what?"

"IT!!" said Katie as she motioned with her hand.

"Eww!! No... Oh my gosh Katie, did you do it?"

"Course not Lily, Remus and I just started dating tonight... All we did was kiss... by the lake... a lot..."

"Oh my gosh... Alyssa and Bekka are going to do it!"

"Bekka and Peter... I'm sorry but that's gross!"

"I know Katie..."

"But it's not like Alyssa and Theodore haven't done it..."

"Seriously?"

"Course, Lily, they are engaged!"

"I know but so are James and me..."

"But James' a gentleman!"

"Thank you!"

"Good night Lily."

"Night Katie, I'm glad you and Remus finally started dating..."

"Me too... Congrats on officially getting engaged to James..."

"Thanks." And the last thought Lily had that night was the look on James face when he had proposed... And how pretty that ring did look on her hand!

AN: Okkkk

Hiya! This is MISH KATIE!! he he he... I am Kaci's sister.. She's like super busy... hahahaha... But yea, I'm posting for her because she is like way to busy.. She has soccer for three hours in the morning.. then she works for like 2 n 1/2 hours... and then we have hockey for 2 hours! So she is busy!! So because i am such a nice sister i am posting for her... I'm pretty sure I did everything she told me to... I did my best to edit but i'm not very good.. sooo sorry$$!!

So i hope you enjoyed this chapter.. I picked out the song fr Lily and James to sing.. Kaci wanted to do one from like the 70's or something.. But i was like this song is perfect!!!!! So everyone should just ignore the fact that that song didn't come out until 1999... But you have to admit it's a good song!

PLEASE REVIEW

Luv,

Katie and Kaci

oh yeah i forgot.. DIRECT MESSAGE FROM KACI: MRS. PJ I don't think i am going to change the font size because you can change the font on your own computer by going up near where the chapter selection is.. go a little lower... and then it says like font name and then font size... and you can goof around with that to find a size that fits your comp better!