Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Year of Secrets, Lies, and Betrayal by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Year of Secrets, Lies, and Betrayal

lillyfan16

Chapter Three: The Battle Begins..

"Er…Hi, Evans," James Potter offered, his face reddening, brown eyes hidden behind dusty glasses.

"NO!" Lily screamed. The adults all stepped back in alarm.

"What on earth is the matter with you, Lily?" her father chastised, looking panicked.

"I. WILL. NOT. MARRY. JAMES. POTTER." Lily's face was a violent shade of purple. Mr. and Mrs. Potter looked scandalized. James looked as though he wished he'd burned to death in the floo fire. Nigel Evans laughed nervously.

"The girl doesn't know what she's saying…ha-ha…she's just a little jittery, is all. Just a bit nervous at meeting her future husband, isn't that right?" His laughter died on the tip of his tongue as he saw the glare of doom his daughter had directed at him. Once she was sufficiently satisfied that her father would remain quiet, she turned the glare on James and narrowed her eyes.

"You set this up, didn't you?" she spat accusingly. "Of all the stupid, idiotic, irresponsible things you've done in the short time I've known you, James Potter, this has got to be the very worst! How did you do it, then? How did you convince Dumbledore to tell my parents that arranging a marriage between the two of us would ever resemble anything remotely like a good idea?! Did you hex him? No…of course not. You're not nearly smart enough for that. Bribery? I don't think the old fool would be quite so stupid to accept a bribe from a student, let alone James Potter. Threats of violence? With those skinny arms…who am I kidding? So how did you do it then, Potter? What did you do to get us into this disaster?"

James fancied himself a patient man. He'd waited, sat idly by (and sometimes not so idly by) while the red-haired woman standing across the room from him, shooting daggers with her eyes at him, blew him off time and time again. He'd tried flattery. He'd tried arrogance. He'd tried boasting, he'd tried being nice, caring, sweet…he'd tried ignoring her, tried to make her jealous. He thought he'd tried every trick in the book. But he had to hand it to Dumbledore. He'd never once tried to force her to marry him. James Potter fancied himself a patient man, but his patience had all but run out.

"Listen, Evans. I had nothing to do with this. I didn't know until my father had already called out your name in the floo that you were the girl I was being betrothed to. I'm not too keen on this whole being forcibly ushered into marriage thing either, but since we really haven't got a choice, why not make the best of it, right? I had assumed that I would not be married at least until my twenties. And when I agreed to this stupid idea I had at least entertained the choice that my future wife might at least like me, but I suppose I can throw those plans out the window," he replied, his voice ending on a note of exasperation. Lily opened her mouth to speak, but James interrupted.

"I'm not finished Evans. I don't care if you hate me... but keep it to yourself... I don't want my friends knowing the woman who will be the mother of my son is... you..." said James.

"I still haven't agreed to marrying you Potter, so get it out of your head that your friends will not like me. Not to mention that Remus has been one of my best friends since I was a first year, and Peter and I get along great," said Lily fearlessly. "When I pictured the man I would some day marry... Oh trust me... he is nothing like you!"

"LILLY EVANS!" screeched Rose Evans from the couch. "Really, she's not normally like this," said Rose as she directed her comment at Emily.

"Yes, she is, she hates me!" screamed James from where he stood across from Lily. "Hate, yes there! I said it! She HATES me!"

"James!" said Mrs. Potter. "He's really not like this Rose."

"Oh, but he is," said Lily as her anger was steaming out of her head. "He is the most arrogant and horrible boy in our school. I head the other direction in the hall when I see him coming towards me. My friends won't talk to his friends even because almost all of them are just as horrible. The only two boys that James Potter associates with that are OK are Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. I am telling you now Mum, I will kill myself before I marry this...thing.. in front of me."

"LILY EVANS!" screeched her mom as she stood in front of Lily completely shocked. The rest of the adults were looking at Lily dumbfound, unable to comprehend what had happened.

"Lily you are such a cocky little girl," said James with a snarly voice he had never used in front of Lily before. "What ever makes you think I would want to really marry you. My family is rather skinny and I wouldn't like to change up those genes."

"JAMES POTTER!" yelled his dad as James glared at Lily with a triumph look in his eyes. Lily's eyes had begun to water, James Potter knew just where to hit Lily to hurt her, in the stomach.

"I HAT-"

"YOU LITTLE BI-"

"STOP," command a voice from the kitchen. A man walked in with a silver beard that was quite long. He was an old man with a twinkle in his blue eyes. He survived the two yelling teenagers and triumph seemed to echo in his walk towards them. He stopped inches from Lily and James who had their wands out, ready to hex each other. Anger was still in their eyes. They were ready to burst and Albus Dumbledore smiled.

AN:

Hiya thankx for the great Reviews guyz!! That totally helps! I hope you guys are liking this FF... I know I am having fun writing it.. Sorry the chapter is short, but they become much longer as the story goes on..

Thankx for the Bumps!!! YOU GUYS ROCK!

x0x0

Kaci