Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Love Is For by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Love Is For

d&gforever

Roll With The Changes

--------------*************--------------

Ginny's golden chiffon gown flowed gracefully behind her as she made her way across the ballroom. It glistened in the light, revealing the gold woven into the exquisite material. The young witch was breathtaking in the open-back gown. The empire waist and numerous pleats concealed her pregnant bump perfectly. This fact excited the witch but disappointed her husband. Draco had been looking forward to showing that little bump off for weeks. He was consoled by the fact that Ginny would not be able to hide their baby much longer.

The young witch walked over to her in-laws. Narcissa hugged Ginny and placed a feather light kiss on the side of her cheek. "Ginevra, you look spectacular this evening."

Lucius walked over and kissed her cheek as well. "I have to disagree, Narcissa." The blond wizard smiled. "She's breathtaking." Still beaming proudly at the young witch, Lucius continued. "Working the crowd?"

"Of course. It's a Ministry party. What else is one to do? I've already conversed my way into meetings with three Department Heads next week." Ginny smiled back. "Just relaxing this evening, Lucius?"

The blond wizard smirked and chuckled softly. "One Malfoy operating is enough."

"A Malfoy?" Ginny raised her brow at him.

"Yes, for eight and a half years. Your campaign is going well?" Lucius inquired.

"My political research is going well. I haven't decided if I'll be running." She paused. "Has your panel decided on the number of seats and the length of them? I've heard seven seats, three will be four-year terms and four will be three-year terms."

Tiberius Ogden entered the group. He greeted each person, leaving Ginny for last. He kissed the young witch's hand. "Your information is correct, Mrs. Malfoy. And how is our Lady-elect?"

"Good evening, Mr. Ogden. I'm fine. But you've jumped the wand a bit. I haven't even announced that I'm running for office."

The old wizard waved his hand dismissing her comment. "Your election is a matter of formality. You have supporters everywhere. Many are calling for your appointment straight away." He released Ginny's hand. "Call me Tiberius, my dear. We will be seeing much of each other."

"Thank you for you vote of confidence, Tiberius. And please call me", she paused a moment, "Ginevra."

Draco walked up to the group and handed Ginny a bubbling soda. "Mother, Father", he said kissing Narcissa's cheek. "Is my wife trying to get information about Parliament out of you, gentlemen? I just can't get the witch to relax and enjoy the ball", the young wizard joked.

The redhead grinned. "It's your entire fault, you know. You're the one who convinced me to put together a campaign. Besides, I've never found balls entertaining until the music starts." Ginny turned her attention to the older wizards. "So, you gentlemen are working out the election rules now?"

"That is true my dear. We haven't decided who can vote. Thanks to Mr. Madenly", Ogden started.

"Denny- I mean Walden has a point. Squibs should have rights in our world. We shouldn't just discard them", Ginny advised.

"Purebloods and half-bloods are more knowledgeable and affected deeper by our laws than Squibs, Muggleborns or half-breeds. We agreed that purebloods and half-bloods will be able to vote at the age of seventeen", Lucius stated. "We are debating on the age and requirements for Muggleborns."

"They should get to vote at seventeen", Ginny announced.

"Why? At seventeen, what do they know of our world? They have only lived in an educational setting, sheltered from many of the problems-" Ogden stated.

"Hermione knew and understood most of our world's problems when she was only sixteen", Ginny insisted.

"Granger wasn't your normal teenager now, was she?" Draco offered.

"Muggleborns should get to vote after working in our world for four years. The major problem is the right of Squibs and half-breeds to vote", Ogden interjected. "What's next, Trolls' rights?"

"I think you should listen to Mr. Madenly. His mother is a Squib, yet his brother, whose father was a Muggle, is a very powerful wizard. You should also look at the O'Hare children; their mother is a Squib. Keri O'Hare was against the Binding Law. She has always lived in our world and knows what is needed." Ginny took a drink of her soda. "How many Squibs have given birth to witches or wizards? For years we have disowned them, sending them off to year-round Muggle schools once they are eleven. Their own families don't contact them. Because of their shame, they may never tell their children or grandchildren of their parentage, even when that child turns out to be magical." She paused for a moment. "Maybe there aren't any Muggleborn wizards or witches, merely children or grandchildren of Squibs. Can you not see how giving Squibs rights in our world will be better for us in the long run?"

"Our laws don't have any impact on Squibs", Lucius hissed. "If they vote, they will change our world to their liking."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Squibs make up less than one half percent of our population. There is little they will be able to change, but their voices should be heard."

Ogden grinned at the witch. "That is why you belong in office, Ginevra. What are your views on half-breeds?"

"If they are educated as wizards, they should be treated as wizards", she plainly stated.

"Ah", Ogden stated. "Educated. That should be another requirement for voting. One should have completed their O.W.Ls before being allowed to vote."

--------------*************--------------

"I'll say this for Shacklebolt", Thorfinn Rowle started. "He knows how to give a nice, short speech." The gray haired wizard turned his attention to Ginny. "So, Mrs. Malfoy, what are your feelings on the equal employment law?"

Draco sneered. "Thorfinn, my wife would like to enjoy her dinner, not be questioned."

"If she is going to run for office, Malfoy-"

Ginny touched Draco's arm, calming him. "You would be correct, Mr. Rowle, if I had announced my intention of running for office, which I haven't. As a voter, I currently have no opinion on that law, because I have not researched it. I hope you realize, Mr. Rowle, that no law is clear-cut."

Thorfinn laughed, "You already have the political speaking down."

"You're a fool, Thorfinn", Dean Thomas stated. "Be happy you got the political Gin. Otherwise your rudeness would have had you sneezing bat bogeys right now."

Draco lifted his glass to his Gryffindor classmate. The black wizard countered, they both quickly smirked and took a drink of their wine.

"I hope you run, Ginevra. We need someone with your background and talents", Doreen Vance interjected. "Mothers are overlooked. The equal employment law only speaks of Muggleborns and half bloods. What about witches' rights for employment? Merlin, it's hard for a witch to get a good job, and if you're lucky enough to get one, don't get pregnant. Three of my friends were replaced while they were out on maternity leave."

Ginny leaned closer to Doreen. "Where did they work? I really had no idea that problem existed. Most witches I know stopped working when they got pregnant. My ex-sister-in-law worked for the Ministry in her mother's department, so her job was there for her, of course. The others were freelance writers. Tell me more about working mothers?"

Another witch at the table joined in the conversion. Both witches were working mothers and had children under the age of nine. Doreen was married to a wizard and worked because her income was needed to support her family. Lela was married to a wealthy Muggle. Her income wasn't needed, but she enjoyed working in the billing department at St. Mungo's. Ginny listened intently to both witches. Neither thought they were treated equally to their wizard counterparts or witches without husbands or children. Doreen had the additional problem of quality childcare. Before Ginny had realized it, desert was placed in front of her.

She turned and gave Draco a bashful grin. "Sorry about that."

The blond wizard chuckled and then whispered, "Got a little taste of my own medicine, I guess." Draco pouted. "You'll put your research aside and dance with me, right?"

Ginny giggled, grabbed his hand and led him to the dance floor.

--------------*************--------------

"Rani. Come", Ron called after the Irish setter. The dog paid him no mind and ran off for the woods. "Rani! Come here, girl!" he yelled again, but the animal disappeared into the trees.

"Rani! Rani! Rani!" Serpens cried. The four-year-old turned to his uncle. "You have to go get her, Uncle Ron. There are werewolves in the woods."

"Rani! Come here girl", the red-haired wizard called again.

Serpens started pulling on his uncle's arm. "You have to go get her. You have to go get her." Tears ran down the boy's face as he screamed.

Luna walked out on the patio with Sophie in her arms and Leo holding onto her leg. "What's wrong, Ron?"

"The bloody dog ran off. Damn, Malfoy said she was trained and I didn't need a leash."

Thuban walked onto the patio. "Rani is trained. Did you command her to come or ask her?"

Ron rolled his eyes. "I called her."

The seven-year-old shook his head. He hugged his little brother. "Don't worry, Serpens. I'll get her." Thuban very firmly in a low voice called, "Rani. Come." His words were short and clear. A flash of red came to the front row of trees. "Rani. Come", the boy ordered again.

The dog ran from the trees onto the patio. Serpens grabbed and hugged her. Thuban patted her head. "Good girl, Rani." The boy smirked at his uncle. "You just have to let her know you mean business."

Thuban pushed past Cam on his way into the parlor. Luna leaned into her husband. "She doesn't listen to your father or brothers either. Rani is very obedient to Draco and Ginny. It's good you didn't go after her. She enjoys being chased. Last time Charlie went after her, he got lost and stuck out in the rain, while Rani sat dry in the parlor."

"He's trained them all to be a thorn in my side", Ron moaned but then noticed Cam frowning just outside the door. He placed an arm around his shoulder. "What's wrong, Cam?"

"Thuban is so bossy."

Ron chuckled, "Take it from a little brother of five. Being bossy is a big brother's job."

Cam moped inside. "He used to be my friend."

"He's still your friend, mate. Weren't we having an excellent game of Exploding Snap just minutes ago?" Ron reminded the boy.

"He was trying to get me off my guard."

"Uncle Ron! Uncle Ron!" Serpens and Leo pulled him over to a collection of building blocks and wooden railroad tracks. "Help us build a village."

"We need more track", Thuban stated.

Cam turned to Serpens. "Go to my room and get my trains and track."

"I'm short, but my ears aren't pointy", Serpens announced.

Cam wrinkled his nose. "What are you on about?"

Serpens put his hands on his hips and sneered. "I'm not a house elf."

"Good one, Sers", Thuban laughed and then stuck his tongue out at Cam.

Cam punched Serpens in the tummy.

"Ouch!" Serpens yelled.

Thuban turned and snarled. "I'm telling Daddy. You're going to get a spanking."

Ron turned to Serpens. "Stop hamming it up, I'm not your father. He barely touched you." He then looked at Thuban. "You're not in charge, Thuban. And you better start treating all of your brothers with respect, or I'll be discussing your behavior with your father."

"I haven't done anything wrong", Thuban snottily replied.

"I feel different", Luna put in. "You have been very rude towards Cam all evening."

Thuban folded his arms and pouted.

A small smile crossed Cam's smile before he called for Nan, the Black Hall house elf assigned to the children's care. The house elf appeared at once. "Please get my trains and track from my room." Cam looked at his younger brothers. "Can she get yours too?" The boys nodded. The six-year-old turned reluctantly towards Thuban. "Can she get yours, please?"

Thuban shook his head and Nan disappeared. "Tipsy", he called. The Malfoy Manor house elf consigned to care for the children appeared. "Get my trains and track from my room", he ordered. The elf disappeared. The little boy turned to his uncle. "With all this track we can go around the whole room."

--------------*************--------------

"Weasley our King. Weasley our King. He all the rings. He is our King", Leo sang over and over again as Draco tried to rock his youngest son to sleep.

"Why don't you try another song, mate?" Draco asked.

"Giftnor gweat, Giftnor bwave, Giftnor lion roar. Syddewin belly slime. Syddewin worms. Giftnor lion roar", the toddler sung.

"Ginny!" Draco bellowed.

The redhead quickly appeared in the room. She smiled at her husband. "You asked for it. I told you not to tease Ron. I always told you I wouldn't protect you, seeing how you started it."

"Mummy!" The toddler yelled, reaching for Ginny. She removed the toddler from his father's arms.

Draco kissed Ginny. "Thank you."

"You're lucky this time", she retorted.

Draco quickly entered his bathroom. He showered, brushed his teeth and gargled. When he opened his door, he was happy to hear silence. A glance into his bedchamber showed that his wife was just getting into the bed. The wizard playfully jumped on the bed, pinning his wife to it. "Now you will pay for your brother's joke."

Ginny giggled before leaning up and kissing his cheek. "I'm going to pay, am I?"

"In a delightful way", he kissed her softly on the lips. He had just started to deepen it when he had to pull away. Draco turned his head and covered his mouth but couldn't contain the loud belch that escaped him. The wizard blushed, then expelled gas from his southern region also.

"I hope it's your dinner that didn't agree with you, not my kiss", Ginny giggled.

He turned back to his wife and smirked. "Of course it's not your kisses. However, I felt fine and feel fine. Let's try that again."

The blond wizard leaned his head down again. As he made to deepen the kiss, he again had to turn away and released gas from both ends. Draco flopped on to his back and Ginny giggled next to him.

"It's not funny, Gin."

The attractive society witch let loose an extremely long and loud belch during which the words, "Yes, it is." could be heard.

Draco chuckled deeply. "Ah, my lovely wife. A witch of many talents."

"Well, don't tell the boys. I'd like to keep this secret." Ginny cuddled over to him and kissed his neck. Her mouth worked its way to his shoulders before the charming red haired witch crawled on top of her handsome wizard. Her attention was driving him wild, and he couldn't help from moving his lips to her neck and applying them. Gas once again escaped both of his regions.

Ginny burst out in fits of laughter and fell onto her side of the bed. Draco sighed loudly, and the witch's laughter grew louder. The wizard angrily rose from the bed and headed to the bathroom.

"Don't take anything in there!" Ginny ordered through her laughter.

"Witch, pull yourself together", he demanded as he turned the doorknob.

"Draco, don't take anything. It will only make things worse", Ginny firmly stated.

"What are you on about, Gin?"

"You kissed me in the nursery without a problem. Your stomach isn't upset, is it?" Ginny questioned.

"It doesn't feel like it, but it must be."

His wife shook her head. "Have the elves clear out your bathroom. You've been spiked with the twins' `gas-it-up' potion."

"What?"

"It's a good joke product of the twins'. `Make your friends expel gas every time he kisses a witch.'" She smiled at him.

The blond wizard sat down in a chair. "How long will this last?"

"Twelve hours, I believe." Ginny walked over and sat on his lap.

"You Weasleys have the strangest sense of humor. Please remove yourself. I love you, but I have no intention of belching for the next hour and an half."

Ginny giggled and patted his chest. "Ninety minutes? You flatter yourself, Draco Black Malfoy. That's more amusing than the `gas-it-up' potion."

Draco snarled, "Are you done laughing at me yet?"

Ginny snaked her arms around him. "I'd like to laugh with you, love." She started kissing his neck.

"Love, we can't", he moaned.

"Draco, you may not be able to kiss me, but I can kiss you."

--------------*************--------------

The train track and buildings from the evening before remained in the parlor the following morning. The four Malfoy brothers were adding more track to their design. To Cam's displeasure, Thuban was ordering the other boys around. Leo and Serpens happily did as they were asked. However, Cam removed a piece of track from the new formation.

"Put it back, Cam", Thuban puffed.

The six-year-old shook his head. "No, what you're trying to do won't work."

"Put it back before I come over there and make you", Thuban snarled.

"Why won't you listen to me anymore?" Cam yelled as he stepped back towards the hallway.

Thuban dove for his brother. "Give it here, you little prat!" The two older boys rolled around on the floor fighting over the piece of track.

Serpens walked over and tried to help Thuban remove the track from Cam's hand. The six-year-old's hand came up and hit the four-year-old in the mouth, dislodging his bottom center baby tooth. The older boys continued to fight as Serpens screamed.

Tipsy and Nan were quickly on hand. Serpens wouldn't allow them to touch him. Leo started Summoning blocks and throwing them at Thuban and Cam while he yelled, "BAD! BAD! Huwt Sewpens", again and again.

Ron was there in moments. He pulled the two fighting boys apart. However, Leo was in a full tantrum, and blocks were still flying at the boys. Ron used a charm so that the blocks would fall to the floor before hitting anyone.

"What in the magical world is going on?" Draco demanded as he entered the room. The blond wizard was only wearing trousers, and his hair was still a mess from sleep. The sound decreased instantly, and the flying blocks halted.

Leo pointed at his oldest brothers. "Bad Boys. Huwt Sewpens!"

The wizard turned to see blood spilling from Serpens' mouth. He hurried to his third son, placing the boy on his hip. Serpens showed Draco both the tooth and the hole where the tooth had been. "Fairy bring me two Galleons tonight", Serpens bravely cried. The blond wizard kissed the boy's cheeks and forehead. He wiped away some of the blood with a white cloth that Tipsy had handed him. "Press this", he advised, and the boy complied.

Draco's expression changed, and his angry eyes met his eldest son. "How'd he lose his tooth?"

"The track hit him in the mouth. It wasn't magic", Thuban nervously replied.

"Weasley, can you keep an eye of those three?" Ron nodded. "Come on, Serpens. Hopefully Mummy can put it back in."

"Want fairy to come and give me two Galleons", Serpens whined.

"I'll give you three Galleons if you let Mummy put it back." Draco voiced as he took the boy upstairs.

Thuban and Cam sat on either side of Ron. Tipsy cleaned up the bruising and blood on Thuban while Nan did the same for Cam. Leo walked over to his brothers; he sat in front of them and growled, "Bad boys. Da dee mad."

"Shut it", Thuban lightly hissed.

"You're not our boss, Thuban." Cam leaned forward.

Ron softly pressed both boys back into the sofa. The wizard cuddled each boy into his side and softly spoke, "What's wrong with you two? You have always been good mates."

Cam whispered softly, "Thuban's bossy now."

"Someone has to be the boss, Cam", his older brother replied.

"Mummy and Daddy are the boss, Thuban."

"But it's different now, Mummy's busy. I have to be the boss." Thuban proudly stuck out his chest.

The red-haired wizard sighed. "Thuban, your parents were right up the stairs, as were your Aunt Luna and I this morning. Maybe your mother has been busy lately, but she or another adult is always close by. I believe you are taking advantage of the situation. Percy used to do that all the time." Ron paused. "Merlin, I hated it when Bill and Charlie left for Hogwarts. Summer would be so much fun with them around. Then September would come. The Hogwarts express wouldn't be out of sight, and pushy Percy would show up. He tried to order Fred and George about, but only Mum and Dad could handle them."

Thuban and Cam giggled. To this day, Percy would still try to order the twins around to no avail.

In the hallway Draco turned and put his finger to his lips when he heard Serpens, Luna and Ginny approaching. "Let's wait a couple of minutes. I believe the Weas- Ron has this under control." Luna took Serpens and Sophie to the playroom while Draco and Ginny listened to Ron and their boys.

Ron smiled at the boys. "Well, it would have been funny then if Percy wouldn't turn his bossiness to your mum and me. We spent most of our lives fighting with Percy just because he had to be the boss. So the choice is yours, do you went to spend your lives fighting with your brothers just so you can feel like you're in charge? Or do you want to be mates with them and let an adult be in charge?"

"What if Mum or Dad leave me in charge of them? They've asked me to keep an eye on them before", Thuban asked.

"Bill and Charlie were left in charge of us often. Bill had to hold your mummy's hand all day when we went to Diagon Alley. You can do that without being bossy, Thuban, but I think you already know that."

Thuban kicked lightly at the floor. "Yep, when we're in charge you're just to remind everyone to be good. You're to get Mum or Dad if they are being bad." The boy turned to Ron. "So, I can't order my brothers around and have them be my mates?"

Ron chuckled. "You're never going to be able to order them, but somehow Bill and Charlie have always been able to talk you into doing things for them. Why don't you ask them how they do it, and then you can clue me in."

The little wizards giggled. Thuban leaned forward. "I'm sorry for being so bossy, Cam. And I'm sorry for fighting with you."

--------------*************--------------

Cam kicked at the ground outside of Twilfit & Tattings in Hogsmeade. "I don't understand why you can't take us to The Burrow. Leo and Serpens are already there. Please, Daddy. We've been sitting still all day at school."

Draco knelt in front of the boy. "Greggy and Gary are inside. If you all behave and do your spelling work, I'll take you to the park after my fitting."

"Why can't Uncle Greg just elope like Uncle Vince and Aunt Padma did the second time?" Cam crossed his arms and huffed.

Thuban's stomach growled loudly. The seven-year-old put his hands on his tummy. "Sorry, Daddy. Mummy always gives us a snack right after school", Thuban replied.

"He didn't like what the school served for lunch and he didn't eat", Cam softly informed his father. "Mummy used to always check the menu. She'd have Tipsy or Nan bring us lunch from home if we didn't like the food being served. But she's too busy to be our mummy anymore."

The blond hugged the boy. "Cammy, stop this. Your mummy is just a little busy now." Thuban's belly growled again. "Let me go have a word with Uncle Greg, then we'll get you a snack."

A young saleswitch approached the Malfoy wizards as they entered the shop. "Good afternoon, Mr. Malfoy. If you and your sons would come this way, please." She guided them into a backroom. Gary and Greggy Goyle sat at a table which had sandwiches, pumpkin juice and other snacks. The witch pointed to the table. "Mrs. Malfoy ordered those snacks for your sons, sir."

Draco patted Cam's back. "See, Mummy is looking out for you. Now go have a snack, then work on your spellers."

The boys scampered off to join their friends, and Draco went over to his. Greg, Vincent and Miles were standing on platforms with a witch measuring them, while Blaise, Richard, Terry, Dom and Alex stood by the fitting rooms.

"Nice of you to join us, Malfoy", Blaise teased.

"We need a nanny", Draco announced.

"You can't do that. Ginbug won't run", Blaise replied.

"Maybe you'll have a chance if Ginny backs out", Miles jested.

"I'm only running for office so I can spend more time with my little Ginbug", Blaise joked before his jolly expression turned serious. "Really, Draco, you can't go talking about nannies with Ginny. She has never wanted…"

The blond rolled his eyes at his friend. "Blimey, Zabini, you don't need to tell me about my own wife. She has never wanted a nanny. We've always been able to work around it before but now… Well, I can't keep collecting the boys from school every time one of her meetings runs late. I merely have to let her see that a nanny will not be raising our children, simply helping us out."

"Good luck with that mate", Greg replied. "Ginny's one of those brilliant witches that can do anything. However, what she wants most is to be an excellent mother. In her mind she can't be that and not be at home with her children. Why do you want her to work anyway?"

"I don't want her to work, but taking this position is important. Parliament will only be part time once it gets started. Ginny just needs to make connections and learn what issues are important to the Ministry. Things will calm down in time." The saleswitch motioned for Draco to step onto the measuring platform.

Vincent stepped off the platform. "Ginny would do a wonderful job in Parliament. There's no doubt about that. The timing isn't right for her. She's already told Padma she thinks she's missing out on too many of the boys' activities."

"Shite, if I bring up a nanny, she won't run. Damn." Draco shook his head in frustration.

Blaise stepped up onto the platform after Greg stepped down. He patted Draco's back. "I told you. Dealing with witches gets harder the more you love them."

"I don't want Ginny to miss out on taking a very important job because she thinks she is needed at home. She can do both", Draco replied.

"Malfoy, the important thing is that Ginny is doing what she wants to do. Padma is going to start interior design classes in a couple of months. By the time Kali is two, Padma will be trained and ready to start her own business", Vincent informed the group. "She's always wanted to be a designer."

"You're going to let your wife work?" Greg started. "Are sales really that bad?"

Vincent glared at his best mate. "I don't need her to work. This is something she wants to do. I can push my pride to the side so my wife is happy."

The married wizards all nodded their agreement, and Greg grunted his disagreement. Blaise smirked at Goyle. "By the way, mate, are we going with the blue or silver robes?"

"Let's vote on it", Miles offered.

"We're going with the silver", Greg announced.

"Diane said we could go with blue or silver", Diane's cousin Alex said.

Her brother Dom chuckled. "But she really wants us to get silver. Right, Greg?"

"Yes", he growled.

Terry patted Greg's back. "Give it up, Greg. The more you learn about keeping your witch happy, the better your marriage will be."

"What about my happiness?" he softly hissed.

"You're a selfish git", Draco announced.

All eyes turned to Malfoy. Blaise smiled at Goyle. "If anyone is an authority on selfishness, it's our Draco."

The blond smirked. "Well, being a father of four soon to be five", he proudly interjected. "I've had to overcome my old ways. However, I've learned that keeping my wife happy keeps me happy. The more I give her, the more she gives back to me." Draco turned to Greg. "You're going to get something when Diane finds out we're wearing the silver robes."

The dark haired wizard grinned. "You're right."

"He's calling in that marker this afternoon." Crabbe nodded. "He and Diane are going to the bakery, the ballroom and finalizing other wedding plans. Then he plans on…"

Dom put his hands over his ears. "Stop! Stop! That's my little sister you're talking about, and I don't want to hear."

The wizards chuckled before changing the topic to the South American Quidditch season.

--------------*************--------------

Draco, his sons and the Goyle boys were sitting on the parlor floor playing a simple board game, when the house elf showed Lavender in.

"Mummy", Gary merrily shouted as he ran to hug her legs.

His brother looked at the clock, frowned and then turned to Thuban. "My speller is up in your room."

"Let's go get it. Come on, Cam, Serpens." Thuban pulled on Leo's hand. "You can come too."

Gary let go of his mother and went upstairs with the other boys. Once they were out of hearing range, Lavender turned to Draco. "Malfoy, you knew I was picking them up at five forty-five. It would have been polite to have them ready."

Draco scoffed at the witch. "It's six ten, Mrs. Pucey. I'm not trying to be rude to you. I'm merely making your tardiness easier for my mate's sons to deal with. As you could tell, Gary didn't realize you were late. And Greggy didn't until he looked at the clock. I think you would have to agree that a five minute delay in your departure is worth saving the boys from twenty-five minutes of agony."

The dusty-blonde witch shyly looked at the floor and nodded. "I didn't want to Floo or Apparate with the baby, and Adrian was late getting home." The boys reentered the parlor with the Goyle children wearing their winter cloaks and mittens. "Thank you for watching them, Draco. May we please use your Floo?"

He walked her and the boys to the fireplace in the front foyer. The Malfoys said their goodbyes, and watched their friends Floo to their mother's home. Once the green flames disappeared, the blond wizard turned to his boys. "I think it's time for you lot to have dinner, to the kitchen with you."

The four boys raced to the back of the house. Eating in the kitchen of the Manor or Black Hall was a rarity. It meant they could each chose their own meal. They didn't need to dress nicely, and they didn't have to worry about table manners. Thuban's pace slowed when he realized what else this meant. His mother wasn't going to be home for at least another hour. The boys only ate in the kitchen alone.

"Will Mum be home before we go to bed?" Thuban asked his father.

Draco messed the boy's hair playfully. "Of course, she'll be home by seven, but I don't think your little bellies can last that long."

"I'm having beans on toast", Serpens announced.

"Toad in hole", Leo added.

"I want Cottage pie", Cam said with a smile. "What are you having, Thuban?"

The oldest boy turned and looked at his father. "My belly can wait until seven. May I please eat with you and Mummy?"

"We're having Partan Pie and Brussels sprouts", Draco replied.

Thuban turned up his nose. "I'll eat now."

A loud Apparition pop sounded down the hallway. The four boys turned and ran to the foyer, all squealing excitedly. Even Draco had a spring in his step until he only heard Leo's squeals.

"Gamfadder! Gamfadder!"

Draco turned the corner to see Leo in Lucius' arms and his other sons looking disappointedly at their grandfather. The smile also disappeared from Draco's face.

"Well, this is quite the welcome. I feel like an elf at a goblins' convention." The oldest Malfoy turned his attention to the youngest. "At least you are happy to see me."

"We thought you were Mummy", Serpens sadly informed his grandfather.

"I see." Lucius handed Draco a scroll. "I think this may help. Avery's been sending me resumes for personal assistants…"

"Grandfather, you can't fire Ms. Pance! She's still the same excellent assistant she was before you learned she was a Muggleborn", Thuban protested.

"I'm not firing Ms. Pance, Thuban. Mr. Avery is…" Lucius stopped. "Mr. Avery thinks he's being helpful and he has been." Lucius pointed at the scroll. "That is a resume for a Ms. Stacy Simms. She was a nanny for seven years while attending secretarial law school. She will make an excellent personal assistant for Ginevra."

--------------*************--------------

A broad grin graced Draco's face as Ginny placed herself on his lap. The wizard was sitting in his plush chair in the family parlor, his feet resting on his ottoman as he watched a South American Quidditch match on their Wizard Vision screen. Draco reached up and gently moved Ginny's mouth to his. He placed a soft kiss on her lips, paused for a moment, and then kissed her deeply. It was some time before they parted.

The blond wizard sighed. "Ah, the simple pleasure of kissing my wife, how intoxicating. Merlin, I miss having this time with you."

"Preparing my run for office is taking too much time. I shouldn't…"

Draco kissed her again. "Ginny, give it more time. You're doing too much on your own. Blaise has five staff members on his campaign. You only have two. We can go through the resumes my father brought over and get you more staff. You don't need to go to meetings with lower Ministry staff. I don't want you to give up and resent it later."

"Alright, we'll hire more workers, and I'll give it another week or two", Ginny replied.

He leaned into her for another kiss, but the ward informing them that Leo had vacated his bed went off.

"Someone is always interrupting us."

The redhead patted his chest. "I'll be right back." She hurried off to the nursery.

The wizard ordered a house elf to bring him a butterbeer, his wife a fizzy drink and some snacks. He heard light footsteps after the items were delivered. Draco turned his head to see the grey eyes of his eldest son. The little wizard removed his hand from the popcorn bowl and smiled at his father. Thuban slowly walked to the ottoman when Draco said nothing.

"Please help me move these things to the settee, son", Draco said before Thuban could sit down on the ottoman. The two wizards relocated the drinks and snacks. The seven-year-old scooted the ottoman over to his father. Draco rested his feet on the item and delicately posed, "Hey mate, could you help me off with my boots?"

The little wizard happily took the heel of his father's boot and pulled each one off. As he was placing the boots by the side of the settee, Draco spoke again. "Why didn't I hear your ward when you left your room?"

"Mummy doesn't put wards on our rooms anymore because Cam, Serpens and me can turn them off. We have to get Tipsy, Nan or go see you and Mummy. I came to see you." Thuban sat on the ottoman by his father's feet. "I can't sleep. May I please stay with you for a few minutes?"

Draco tickled the boy's back with his toes. "Only if you can take a good tickling."

Ginny reentered the parlor to the sweet giggling of her eldest son. She was only slightly disappointed that her time with her husband was being interrupted. It wasn't often that Thuban gave in and wanted to be cuddled. She joined her husband on the settee, removed her shoes and placed her feet on the ottoman too. The couple cuddled together and from time to time would tickle the little wizard's back with their toes. On the pretense of avoiding the tickling, Thuban laid on his father's leg. In moments, the little boy had crawled up to Draco's chest. The seven-year-old's head was on his father's shoulder and the rest of his body was curled up in a ball so he fit on the older wizard's chest.

Draco put his arm around his son, holding him close. "Is there a reason you can't sleep, mate?"

The boy said nothing for a moment then reached out, touched Ginny's hand and locked his fingers with hers. "Mummy", Thuban whispered. "I didn't tell you about my day at school."

Ginny hid her frown. She normally was the first to hear about her sons' day at school while she fed them their after-school snack. The witch made a mental note to speak with Cam about his day in the morning. "Why don't you tell me now?"

Draco's attention went back to the game. He had already heard about Thuban's perfect scores on both his math and spelling tests. And that his team had won every game they played that day. However, when there was a time out in the match his ears caught their conversation.

"Because I'm taking piano lessons, the Headmaster said I could go to Art class instead of music. Ms. Bourke showed me how to draw dogs' faces. I drew a couple of Rani. We are going to paint tomorrow. "

"You'll have to show me your drawings of Rani tomorrow. Ms. Bourke teaches Art classes after school-"

The boy shook his head. "No Mummy, I don't like Art that much. I'd rather come home and play. I really wanted to have another gym class, but Mr. Byromore-" Thuban stopped himself.

"Thuban, are you still being overaggressive in gym class?" Ginny asked.

Draco huffed. "Overaggressive, what non-sense."

Ginny snarled at her husband. "You're not part of this conversation, mister."

The wizard cleared his throat and stared from the little wizard that was cuddled on the left side of his chest to the witch cuddled on his right. "Oh, am I just a piece of furniture for you two to lie on as you have your discussion?"

"Didn't be silly, Daddy. You're not furniture. You're an accessory." Thuban wiggled into Draco's chest. "You're more like a nice, fluffy pillow to hug", the boy giggled.

"I thought you were busy watching the match. I wouldn't have brought up gym class-" she started.

"If there is a problem, I need to know", Draco replied.

"It isn't really a problem." Ginny paused. "Well, you wouldn't see it as a problem. Thuban needs to learn to play games for fun at school. At times, Mr. Byromore feels Thuban is combative in games."

"I don't throw the balls at others' heads anymore in dodgeball. Nor do I hit the bladder at anyone when we play Swivenhodge. He's just mad because I always win", Thuban confirmed with a nod mostly directed towards Draco, hoping he would get his father's support.

Draco quickly removed the smirk from his face. His son was very much like himself. As a child, Draco always pushed the edges of the rules in order to win. "There's nothing wrong with wanting to win."

Ginny rolled her eyes and growled, "Not when your actions can hurt others."

"The school shouldn't be letting the children play…" he paused seeing his wife's glare. "Be a gentleman, Thuban. Don't play so rough."

"Yes, sir", Thuban replied, knowing that his father's words merely meant that gentlemen don't get caught pushing the limits.

The red haired witch knew the boy had given in too easy, but she would let it rest for tonight. She would bridge the subject with her wizards individually. She wouldn't get anywhere with they teamed up on her. "Anything else happen?"

Thuban started to giggle. "Cam and I sat with Gabe, Sirius, John and T.J. Lupin for lunch. Gabe told a joke while Sirius was drinking his pumpkin juice. Sirius laughed so hard, the juice came out of his nose. It went all over T.J. Lupin's food."

The image of pumpkin juice snot covered food caused Draco to place his handful of popcorn down.

"I let T.J. have my lunch because it was cabbage rolls."

Ginny kissed the boy's nose. "Mummy's so sorry, Thuban. I should have…"

The boy smiled. "It's alright. You had the best snack for us at the shop. I helped Cindy do her math and Sarah do her spelling. Gabe almost got in a fight with Michael Flint at the end of the day. Flint was bullying Brittany. Michael got lucky that Aunt Fleur showed up. I think that's it. What did you do today, Mum?"

--------------*************--------------

-->