Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Love Is For by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Love Is For

d&gforever

Ministry Meddling Fallout

-----------**************--------------

Ministry Meddling

The Pureblood Marriage Law

By Rita Skeeter

When the Pureblood Marriage Law was passed in May of 1999, we were told it was part of a peace treaty. This law was the only way to get Lucius Malfoy and his Death Eater rebellion to assist the Ministry in eliminating the Dark Lord. It made sense to everyone. The aristocratic Purebloods needed to increase their numbers after the deaths they suffered at Voldemort's hands. When Draco Malfoy forced Ginevra Weasley into marriage, it only added to this belief. The timing of the law's repeal seemed perfect also. Ginevra Malfoy was eight months along with the fourth Malfoy boy. After this birth she wouldn't be needed any more and repealing the law would free Draco to marry another.

However, all was not as it seemed. According to Ministry insiders at least six high ranking Ministry officials were already planning to enact the Marriage Law after the end of the war even before their meeting with the Malfoys in early March of 1999. "Many pureblood lives were lost on both sides. We were looking at saving the wizarding race," stated my top-secret informant, Mr. X. "It worked too. The birth rate of pureblooded children increased manifold in subsequent years and it was only when it returned to pre-law levels that the Marriage Law was repealed.

It had nothing to do with the Malfoys. Lucius was, in fact, extremely upset when he learned Draco had petitioned for the Weasley girl. He had been hoping his son would marry the daughter of his French business partner," Mr. X stated. "Increasing the number of pureblooded children was the sole purpose of the law. Sadly, the Ministry didn't think about what would become of these children. Can a woman love a child she is forced into having?

Many witches did not fight for their children in annulment and divorce hearings. Only four of Marriage Law marriages are still in place; Malfoy and Weasley, Wilkes and Brocklehurst, Higgs and MacDougal and Crabbe and Patel. Yes, I understand that Crabbe and Patel divorced and remarried but they were never truly separated. Have you seen the size of her? She is in her last month, not the start of her seventh."

Another secret informant, Ms. Z, told me, "The law was passed because of two prophecies.

The first: Two rivaling families will be joined by a forced marriage. The sons of this union will rule our world.

The second: She will be the seventh child and only daughter. She will be the first witch born in her family for seven generations. She will marry her soul mate and their sons will have powers like no others. They will lead our world into a thousand years of light.

Ministry Officials who believed in pureblood supremacy wanted the Marriage Law passed because of the first prophecy. Their thinking was that any child born in this type of marriage would be raised to believe that purity of blood was very important. They believed the second prophecy was about Ginevra Weasley and that by passing the law they could make sure she didn't marry her soul mate." Mrs. Z was amused as she told me, "After seeing Draco and Ginevra's picture in the newspaper last year, I found myself wondering if both prophecies were about the Malfoy/Weasley couple."

Through my research I have learned that numerous marriages occurred between rivaling families during the years of the Marriage Law and that both the former Ms. Brocklehurst and Ms. MacDougal are also the youngest of seven and the only girls in their family. The second prophecy could just as easily have been about them and had the prophecy been about either of these two witches, the Ministry did make sure that it did not come true. Wilkes and Higgs are both extremely wealthy wizards of advanced age, 120 and 135 respectively, and in poor health. Their wives have been seen out clubbing throughout the past year without their husbands.

"The old man married Melissa to conceive his children," said neighbors of the Wilkes. "She gave him three sons. Once the last one was born, he left her alone. They have a nanny raising the boys. He spends most of his time in Paris and she is in Spain."

"Scarlet is a loving mother to her six boys," an elderly witch living down the road from Higgs stated. "Her triples are the cutest little things. She doesn't see the boys or her husband much. He moved the family to their country home after the triples were born but she loves the city and stayed." The old witch laughingly told me, "I think she's scared to get pregnant again. You see, the first pregnancy she had one, the second she had twins, and the third triples! Merlin help the poor thing."

"I wouldn't mind being married to one of those old men," Tracey Davis told me. "They ask for very little, maybe sex occasionally and fidelity. I could manage that for fifteen years or so while awaiting wealthy widowhood. Melissa and Scarlet are holding out for the money. They'll get more by staying with their husbands. Those old blokes could shuffle off this mortal coil any day now."

So, dear readers, it is easy to conclude that these witches are staying married for the payout they will get when their husbands pass away and as for the Malfoy couple, many want to believe the romantic tails.

"Draco and Ginny had a love affair back at Hogwarts," Rose Zeller revealed. "I saw them a number of times in hidden corridors snogging. I even saw them coming out of the prefects' bathroom together. He was her first and right under… Well, many thought she was dating someone else at the time. They never went public because of their parents. They've loved each other for years. They would have married without the law, that's why they are still together."

Malcolm Baddock repudiated this story and telling me that, "I don't believe they were involved at Hogwarts, but Malfoy sure liked to watch Ginny fly. He was fond of her backside and he liked the front of her too. He was always putting her in detention for snogging. I think he went out of his way to look for her. He'd walk past other couples. We all thought it was because he hated Weasleys but he walked passed both of her twin brothers snogging Bell and Spinnit to find her. She's more deadly with a wand than any of her brothers and it would have been safer to go after the twins if all Draco was trying to do is get back at the Weasleys."

However the truth is: "That's all bull****," claimed an unnamed classmate of the couple. "The Malfoys wanted Draco to have at least four sons. What better way to insure this than to marry a Weasley! She doesn't love Draco anymore than she loves her older boys. He forced her to have them. She didn't want them and still doesn't. She only remains with him out of fear for her baby's life. Lucius Malfoy won't let a ginger haired child live."

A number of people believe that the youngest Malfoy boy is in danger. Lucius had taken a number of magical steps to insure the boys had no Weasley traits. I have been assured that he does not view Leo as having any Malfoy blood. It is rumored that he has caused the near death of his daughter-in-law multiple times. It makes one wonder if baby Leo's trip to St. Mungo's last weekend was truly caused by a fall or was it a staged accident? How many accidents will it take before Lucius achieves his goal? Will Ginevra Malfoy be able to save her son? Merlin knows the Ministry won't help her.

Although the Crabbe couple appears not to be part of the Ministry's plans when it comes to the prophecies, I was compelled to see how their marriage was going after researching the others. I spoke with a number of their friends. They all agreed with this statement.

"Even after the annulment Vincent wouldn't leave Padma alone. He forced himself on her and she ended up pregnant. She had no choice but to marry him again, poor thing. Padma is a very good actor. She always looks so happy. But there is no love between the couple. The Ravenclaw sees very little of her school friends and she is locked in her evil husband's world along with Ginny Weasley."

Because of the Ministry's Meddling, our society is now full of hundreds of unwanted children and witches damaged by force marriages. They made sure that witches would not find their soul mates and forced this law up on us in the name of pureblood domination. What next is planned for us?

Lucius ripped the front page from the London Daily Prophet and placed it inside his robe pocket as Narcissa and the boys entered the parlor of their Villa in the French countryside. When Lucius didn't take Leo from Narcissa's arms after the toddler's request, she sent the boys outside with a house elf. They quickly left the room. It was not normal for their grandfather to be in a gray mood, so his actions were unpredictable. The little wizards gave their grandparents a smile before going into the vineyards. Grandmother would surely have Grandfather in a pleasant mood soon.

"Another of Skeeter's installments was in the Prophet?" she softly inquired. He nodded. "May I see it, please?"

He shook his head. "You do not need the hurt." He growled. "She will pay for printing those lies. We will be returning to the manor tonight. I want to get this problem addressed."

The loathing in his tone was unmistakable. It was second only to the pitch he had used after learning the Dark Lord's plans for Draco so many years ago. Had Skeeter in some way threatened the lives of the children? She wondered. Narcissa thoughts were excessively active. Her husband's passion for his family sometimes caused him to think irrationally. During the second war, Lucius had wanted to seek out Voldemort the day of his escape from Azkaban. It was she who had convinced Lucius to retreat to the States and return for his revenge at a better time. The blonde witch now held her husband close. Once again she would need to calm him. "What harm will befall our family if we delay our return? Is someone threatening to physically harm the children or Ginevra or Draco?"

"No, but her lies need to be stopped," he spat.

"Then contract our legal firm and have them address the matter. Thuban so wants to compete in the next jumping show. We only need to stay a few more days. I will owl Draco and Ginevra and inform them of our change in plans." After kissing him, she reached for the paper in his robe pocket. When he stopped her she softly replied, "Lucius, do not make me obtain by own copy of the Prophet. I am sure I've read worse than this." She started to open the folded paper.

Lucius' voice cracked, "I think not dearest. What could be worse than claiming I am capable of murdering my own grandchild?" He paused, his eyes filled with tears but not one was released. Emotion spilled out with every word, "I love those boys. I would give my life for any one of them. The mere thought that harm would come to one of them frightens me. The notion that I could or would inflict harm upon them is unimaginable."

--------------*************--------------

Draco pulled his sleeping wife into a spoon. His hand want to her flat abdomen. A smile washed over his face. Although it would be months before he would first feel it move and Ginny would surely deny it for the next couple of days, he knew their fifth child was currently growing inside her. The signs had started a couple of days ago. And if the truth be told, he was extremely excited.

Ginny rose from the king size bed rushing for the bathroom. She lifted the lid just in time emptying her stomach in the bowl. Only after the first wave did she close the door.

The blond wizard rolled out of bed and knocked on the door. "Love?" Draco inquired softly through the door.

"I'll be fine in a moment," she replied. At times it was sweet to have him hold back her hair, pat her back and place a cold cloth on her neck or forehead. But right now she wanted to be alone. Merlin, this was wrecking the end of their anniversary trip. They had spent eight lovely days at a wizarding resort in the Caymans. It was the type of trip she'd known he would plan and wondered why he had kept the destination a secret until they portkeyed here.

The last week of their trip was to be on a Muggle Cruise ship. This had been an outstanding surprise. She had wanted to take this type of trip since she learned about them from Hermione as a schoolgirl. Ginny had asked Draco to take her for their honeymoon. He had snorted, "Why would I want to spend a number of days with Muggles. I don't like them or have you forgotten?"

She was astonished when they portkeyed to the Muggle port and boarded the Alaskan Cruise. After Serpens' birth she had shown him a pamphlet of this cruise. Ginny had always enjoying viewing the whales from the Malfoy house on the island of Sao Jorge. Although Muggle run, this ship offered an opportunity to see a number of different whale species. He had denied her request then but she was now delighted that he had remembered her wish.

Draco booked the Penthouse Verandah Suite for them. It contained a bedroom with a king-size bed, oversize whirlpool bath and shower, living room, dining room, dressing room, private verandah, pantry, mini-bar, refrigerator, guest bathroom and floor-to-ceiling windows. The suite was ten times the size of the standard stateroom. "Nothing but the best for my love," he said. However, Ginny suspected it was as much for his comfort as for her own.

She'd been fine the first four days on the ship and they'd even gone on an excursion on a smaller boat in rough seas to view a pod of orcas up close. She hadn't gotten seasick then, so why was she having problems with it now? She stood up, rinsed out her mouth, washed her face and headed out the door.

Draco was waiting and guided her to the dining table where a couple of gingersnaps and a cup of tea waited for her. She nibbled on the snaps, the ginger calming her stomach quickly. "They have motion sickness medication in the shops upstairs. I think I'll try some today," she voiced softly.

"You'll do no such thing," he practically ordered.

"What!" Ginny exclaimed starting to cry. "Do you want me to suffer for making you come on this trip?" She knew her words were untrue before they even left her lips but she couldn't stop herself from lashing out.

Draco sat down next to her and rubbed her back. "Well, that little hormonal outburst confirms it. Love, I don't think you're suffering from seasickness. I believe we caught the Snitch shortly after it's release." He beamed at her.

"I'm only four days late. I've never been regular."

Still beaming he replied, "Let's see, you're late. Your breasts are very sensitive." She started to speak but he stopped her. "You don't have to tell me. I know by the way you react when a touch them. Now, back to my statement. You're late, sensitive breast, you have nausea often, you plead for me to get closer during our love making and you're a bit testy with me lately." Draco smirked. "I can think of only four other times when all that occurred."

"I can't be pregnant already," Ginny shook her head in denial.

"I think you are and until we know for sure, you can't take any Muggle medication or potions." He kissed her cheek, "Is the ginger and tea helping?"

"Yes, thanks."

"Good," he took her hand, "there are a couple of very playful humpbacks out. Would you like to watch them as you finish your tea?"

Ginny donned a thick dressing grown and went out onto their private verandah. Draco joined her with the tea but the cups lay untouched as the couple cuddled on the long lounge for some time watching the whales leaping out of the water. They were distracted by Narcissa's eagle owl an hour later. Draco quickly opened the letter knowing it had to be important. Ginny fed the bird a couple of gingersnaps then rested back in her husband's arms and read the letter along with him.

Narcissa hadn't wanted to bother them but as she didn't know when the bird would locate them, she had no choice. Her letter simply told them the children were doing well and they had decided to remain in France until the day of Ginny and Draco's return home. So, they shouldn't worry if his parents and children were not at the manor if they arrived home early. She also enclosed a copy of Skeeter's article, cautioning them that it was upsetting and they might want to wait until right before their return to read it. Of course they didn't wait.

Ginny snarled and hissed, "Cold hearted bitch, implying that so many children are unloved." Then she giggled kissing Draco's cheek and gazing into his eyes to tease, "Who were you snogging at Hogwarts that looked like me?"

He teased her back, "No idea but I think next time I go to visit my godfather, you should come along. I'd like to try out the prefect's bathroom."

They squeezed each other and read the next paragraph. "Any truth to what Malcolm said?"

He smirked and patted her bottom, "I've always admired the look of your bottom especially when it's on the back of a broom."

She gave him a quick kiss, "What about the bit about stopping me from snogging other blokes?"

"None of them were good enough for you," he stated in a matter of fact tone.

Ginny gasped at the next paragraph. "Flint! What is that wizard's problem? His wife cut him off again?" Her tone changed to one of complete annoyance, "Protect Leo from Lucius… from what…" She turned to Draco, "Is it possible to spoil a child to death?"

The blond smirked, "Well, I think the fifty plus Gryffindors who attended the beach party can attest to the fact that those statements about my father are blatantly false."

Ginny concurred, "That's true. He did wear Leo must of the day." But she sighed again when her eyes saw the paragraph about the Crabbes, "Goodness, I hope Padma isn't letting this get to her."

--------------*************--------------

"That's so sad. Poor thing," an older witch whispered to her friend as they passed Padma along Diagon Alley.

"Yes, it's sad," Parvati confronted the women. "It's sad that old bats like you believe that bitch Skeeter's lies."

The women quickly walked away and Parvati linked elbows with her sister. "I agree with Pansy. We need to slip Rita some Puking Pastilles. Damn shame the Ministry let all unregistered Animagi register without punishment after the war. If they hadn't done that, Rita's poison quill would have been stopped." Parvati noted Padma's stony face and consoled her twin, "Padma, please don't let her get to you."

"It's not me. It's what this has done to Vincent. Sales have been down for him since the story came out. I'm thirty-seven weeks along. I could have this baby any day. That will only lead more people to believe Skeeter."

Parvati patted her twin's arm reassuring her as they turned the corner, "No, it won't. Stress can cause a woman to go into labor early. We'll blame Skeeter for your early delivery and sue her if it happens. And don't worry about Vince. Sales will pick up for him in a month. You should go on holiday. Spend a couple weeks in Muggle London." Having arrived at their destination, Padma's midwitch, they entered the office.

The five witches in the waiting room stopped glaring at poor Vincent in the corner and turned to stare at Padma. Vincent got up to greet her and was rewarded with a kiss and great hug. "Merlin, you are a brave wizard," she whispered in his ear.

"I couldn't let you do this on your own." He turned to Parvati, "Thanks for bringing her."

"It wasn't a problem. I've enjoyed the time together. I'll see you at Mum's, Padma." Parvati gave her sister another squeeze before leaving.

"Mrs. Crabbe," the mediwitch said, "you can come back now." Hearing the other women scoff as Padma followed her back to an exam room, the midwitch added, "When will people learn that Rita Skeeter writes only half truths and lies?" She led Padma to the scale and weighted her. "You've gained twice as much as you should have, Mrs. Crabbe. Understandable, but please keep a close eye on that." Padma nodded, went to the exam table where Vincent helped her up and then assisted her to lie down.

The mediwitch turned the lights off and ran a metallic wand over Padma and the image of the baby appeared on the wall in front of them. "Well, she is an active one," the mediwitch stated. The baby on the wall punched and kicked in her limited space. Vincent stared at the wall, beaming and caressing his wife's hand lovingly. Padma's face showed equal joy. "Her heart beat is very strong. Everything looks wonderful," the midwitch allowed the parents to watch their infant as she made a few notes. "Are you planning on a home birth again?"

"Yes," Padma replied.

"Your other children were born after their due dates?"

"Yes, five days, three days and ten days for Kenny."

"It's likely this one will come after her due date too but you can never tell. You could go into labor at anytime." She removed the metal wand and the image of the baby disappeared. "I'll make you an appointment for the same time next week." Padma nodded and the mediwitch handed Vincent a tongue depressor, "Use this portkey for your next appointment. It will bring you to this room. We need to minimize the stress for your wife."

"Thank you," Crabbe replied.

"You're welcome and feel free to Disapparate when you're ready to leave. I've lowered the wards for you."

Once the mediwitch had gone, Vincent helped Padma to a sitting position and kissed her. "You're wonderful and our baby is astonishing." He placed a hand on her belly and the baby kicked. Crabbe grinned. "I've been thinking about names again. What do you think of Kali Padmavati Crabbe?"

"I love it," she squealed before throwing her arms around him.

--------------*************--------------

A perturbed Adrian Pucey stood by the door to the meeting room of his wife's attorney trying to sooth his week old daughter as she rested in his arms.

"She's beautiful, Adrian," Diane Zabini said as she leaned against the opposite wall. Another shout came from the room they were both gawking at intently. "That sounded like Greg that time," she sighed. "We're both going to have to provide a lot of comforting this afternoon."

Adrian smiled at his baby and then gave Diane a puzzled look.

"We might as well be nice to each other, Adrian." She motioned to the door, "As long as we're with those two, we will be seeing a lot of each other. And they do enough fighting for all of us."

He nodded. "Her name is Erlina. She looks very much like my mother." Adrian rearranged the baby in his arms. "Despite what Goyle thinks, I'm happy to have a daughter. Little princesses never outgrow their daddies."

Inside the meeting room Greg sat on one side of the table with his lawyer while Lavender was on the other side with hers.

"I will not agree to joint custody!" Greg yelled pounding his fist on the table. "Where has she been for the last fourteen months?"

"I've been with the boys as often as I could. Besides your mother or Pansy is their main caregiver when you have them," Lav spat back.

"I care for my sons!" Greg growled.

His lawyer placed his hand on Greg's arm, "Calm yourself, Mr. Goyle." The attorney took a number of documents out of his case and placed them on the table. "Mr. Goyle has documented each time in the last year that Mrs. Pucey has neglected to collect the children for visitation. He has…"

"Mr. Davis, we can all agree that in the past Mrs. Pucey was a little relaxed on collecting her children. She needed time to get her life back on track before she could manage her sons. But now she has a strong marriage, a loving home and the boys should get to know their new sister." Mr. Harrison, Lavender's lawyer, paused. "The Puceys can offer the Goyle boys a stable home and both a mother and father figure."

Greg stood up and snarled, "If you would have given Pucey a son, you wouldn't be after mine. They're happy with me, Lavender. Can't you see that?" He stared at her. "Maybe you already know we're happy and you just can't stand it. Is that it, Lav? You don't want me to be happy?"

"I carried them for nine months. I gave birth to them. They are more mine than yours," she growled back.

"Breeding mares have no right to their young," Greg calmly stated then sat down. "I can't stand by and watch you disappoint them time and time again. I'll allow you to have them one weekend a month and every other Wednesday."

Mr. Harrison whispered to Lavender for a couple of moments. "We will agree to visitation every Wednesday, every other weekend, with one week during the summer and another week during the Christmas holidays."

"NO!" Greg growled.

Mr. Davis prodded Greg to walk to a corner of the office. "Mr. Goyle, let us think about your children and what is best for them. A court case over custody can get very ugly. Secrets from both your past and Lavender's will come out and likely make it into the Prophet. You were lucky that you weren't named in Skeeters' article but I'm sure she'll have a frolic with a Marriage Law custody case."

Greg exhaled, "She only wants them now because she gave Pucey a daughter. If their next child is a boy, she will likely abandon them again." He closed his eyes and ran the tips of his fingers under them thinking, it was bad enough Skeeter writing that most Marriage Law children were unloved by their mothers. What would she write about his family if they went to court? He was fighting Lavender so his sons wouldn't be hurt anymore. Children needed to be wanted and loved. What should he do?

His lawyer's words stopped his ruminating, "Even if you are correct, Mr. Goyle, wouldn't it be good for your sons to have at least some time with their mother?"

Greg walked back to the table and glared at his ex-wife. His expression softened and he addressed her, "Greggy and Gary need you right now, Lavender. I can't lock them away in the house and protect them forever. Let them know you love them, give them the power to stand up to those who may tease them. They need your love, they deserve it. They've done nothing wrong. I want them to be happy. I'm doing this for them, not you." His eyes turned cold, "Merlin help you if you muck this up, Lavender. Cause my sons grief and I will hunt you down and teach you what real hell is like."

She leaned back in her chair as brave as an any Gryffindor. But Greg had become very protective and close to his children in the past year and was finally acting like a father and she knew his threat was real. An ex-Death Eater, he knew all about extremely painful punishments and how to inflict them. Lavender tried to hid her fear but her voice was still shaky, "Neither of us were good parents during our marriage. You merely worked passed your issues before I did."

"Someone had too, they needed…" he snarled.

"They always had your mother." Lavender wiped her eyes and continued, "I've realized just how much I love them since my daughter was born. I let my anger at you get in my way of loving them but not any longer. I'd like to have them this weekend. I want them to meet their sister."

He sighed hoping she was being truthful. "I'll agree to that but only because the boys have been wondering why you haven't been by to introduce their little sister. I told them you were ill."

"Thank you, Greg. What time may I pick them up, Friday?"

"Before eight A.M. or after five," he answered coldly.

"I'll be there ten minutes before eight." She turned to her attorney, "Once you have this in writing, please Floo me." Smiling, she took her leave of the wizards, "Good day, Gentlemen." She left the room and took Adrian by the arm, "I'm picking them up on Friday morning. We need to get their rooms ready." The couple quickly walked away.

Diane hugged Greg as he came out of the room. "Love you. It will be alright."

"I let her have the boys every other weekend and every Wednesday. Merlin, I hope I did the right thing," he whispered as he held her close. "They want to see her."

"They want her to act like their mother," Diane whispered back. "You did the right thing. It's up to her now." She started to guide him down the hallway, "Come on, let's go pick up the boys. I've got some fireworks from the shop for them."

--------------*************--------------

Thuban stood at the side of his mother's vanity trying desperately to get her attention. She hadn't had any time for him that day. The little wizard had tried time and time again to show her the medals he had won at the horse jumping trials in France but she was busy readying herself for a ball.

"I won this one at the first show, Mummy," Thuban held up the gold medal that hung around his neck.

Leo ran into the room before Ginny could comment. "Pot tee. Pot tee." She scooped him up and headed for the lav.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, Leo needs me. Why don't you show your medals to Daddy?"

Thuban sadly looked at the ground, put his hands in his pockets and kicked the carpet back and forth with his left foot. "Dad's already seen them," he mumbled. "I'll just wait here."

"Nice try sweetheart," she said to the toddler then turned to the older child. "Thuban, please get me a fresh nappy and a clean pair of trousers."

He ran to the nursery and returned with the items. Handing them to his mother, the boy tried once more to talk to her, "I got the gold one with the blue ribbon for having the best score for my age. And this silver one at the same show for having the second best score of everyone." He paused and frowned, "Mum, did you hear me?"

"I'm sorry," Ginny replied as she led the freshly cleaned Leo out of the bathroom. "I'm running late. Will you please take your brother to Daddy?" She shooed the boys out of the room. "That's a good boy, Thuban," she kissed Leo's cheek. "Be a good boy and go with your brother, sweetheart." The redhead then closed the door behind the pair.

Thuban frowned and pulled the toddler along down the hallway. Leo's muttered protests drew Serpens' attention, "Stop being mean to Leo."

"I'm not being mean. Mum told me to take him to Dad," Thuban shouted.

"You're hurting him," Serpens yelled back.

"Mu me!" Leo added.

Serpens tried to remove the toddler from Thuban's grip, causing all three boys to yell and scream. Ginny appeared on the scene in a dress robe, hair only half charmed dry, and collected Leo in her arms to stop the fighting. "What's the problem?"

"Leo wants to stay with you and so do I. We missed you. Please Mummy, we'll quietly play on your bed while you're getting ready," Serpens begged sweetly.

Ginny smiled and took his hand, "Alright." She turned to Thuban, "Tell your father, I'll be ready in fifteen minutes, please." She walked quickly to her room and closed the door.

Thuban kicked at the floor sadly again. "I missed you, too," he whispered.

As he turned to walk down the hallway the door opened. "Thuban baby, come here," Ginny called. The little boy spun at see his mother. "Come here, sweetheart," she called again. When he didn't move, she took his hand and walked him into her sitting room. She sat him on the settee and sat next to him. "Tipsy," she said and the house elf appeared, "Inform the Master that I am running late. If he requests a reason, send him here." The elf bowed and disappeared. Ginny pulled her eldest into a cuddle. "Tell me about your medals, Thuban."

--------------*************--------------

The young Malfoy's arrived at the party late. They would have forgone this party entirely if Draco hadn't needed to complete a business deal. And it gave them an opportunity to see how friends and acquaintances were reacting to Rita's article.

They checked the seating chart outside the hall and were lucky to be seated with their friends, Pansy, Blaise, Padma, Vincent, Diane, and Greg, and another couple, Dave and Sally, whom Ginny believed were Hufflepuffs. Blaise eyed them as Draco helped Ginny into her chair.

"Didn't get enough on holiday, Malfoy? You missed the first course," Blaise teased with eyebrows raised.

"How dare you imply such a thing!" Ginny replied in mock offense. "If you must know the reason for our tardiness, it was my fault. You see, developing a plan for my mother to take the children to a secret paradise so I could escape my loveless marriage was quite time consuming." The redhead took a drink of her water as if this was a normal topic of conversion.

Padma smiled, "How nice, when do you plan on making your getaway?"

"When Lucius announces his support of Gordon Brown as the next Minister of Magic. Would you and your children care to join us?" Ginny responded.

"Only if this paradise is in Latin America, Latin wizards are…" Padma started dreamy eyed.

Vincent cleared his throat, "Remind me to cancel my family's holiday trip to Puerto Rico, Goyle."

Padma could no longer maintain a straight face and giggled into Vincent's chest. This started a wave of laughter at the table as the Hufflepuff couple stared with incomprehension at the group and the witch boldly questioned, "Who is Gordon Brown?"

"The Muggle Prime Minister I believe," Diane said through her giggles.

Sally laughed. "Lucius Malfoy supports a Muggle, very witty Ginny. I thought that the Skeeter witch was full of it. My brother went to your beach party at the end of June and couldn't stop talking about how attached Lucius was to your youngest," she paused, "but a number of people did see Leo at St. Mungo's."

Ginny rolled her eyes, "Lucius did take Leo to St. Mungo's. However, the boy wasn't hurt and the visit wasn't necessary. While Lucius was distracted by a Floo call from my mother, Leo decided to ride his toy broom around the parlor. He flew himself into the end of a table before Lucius could stop him. It was only a minor bruise that Narcissa fixed in seconds but Lucius insisted a healer look over the boy." Ginny exhaled, "Merlin, if I took my boys to St. Mungo's every time one of them got a bruise, we'd live at the place."

"So would I. Dave gave our oldest his first broom at one and he flew it straight through the picture window. Dustin didn't get a scratch on him, thank Merlin. But we have a Muggle neighbor. Poor old man has wizarding families all around him. I think he gets a memory charm once or twice a month," she giggled.

"All four of our boys got a toy broom for their first birthday. Nothing wrong with that," Draco offered. "By the by, Sally, does your lot seem to believe Skeeter or not?"

"Well," she paused, "the older witches want to believe her. However we younger ones who remember Padma and Ginny from school know the bits about them are a load of dragon dung. When it comes to Lucius Malfoy, well, we're all waiting to read old Rita's death notice."

"Mother won't let him do anything," Draco voiced shaking his head. "I hope many are like you, Sally. A number of people saw how Father dotes on Leo at that party. He's normally not that open about his affections. Leo just has a way of opening him up."

"It is a little strange that Lucius favors the child that looks like a Weasley," Dave interjected.

"Lucius is attracted to a person's being not their outer shell," Ginny replied. "I believe that Lucius' actions at the Beach Party helped him. According to Narcissa, he received limited howlers and hate Owls after the article and he only gets a few more sneers on the streets. I'll have to make my own trip down Diagon Alley tomorrow and see how things go. I was surprised that we didn't receive any Owls about the article." She eyed Draco, "But then again, someone may be lying to me."

"They are likely all in my office," Draco stated. "Although I've told you most people are too scared of my father to send Owls."

"Lucky you," Vincent moaned. "I got Howlers everywhere. Had a number of business deals canceled, too. We took the kids to a hotel in Muggle London for a week to get away. But things seemed to calm down in the last two days. I even got a couple of my deals back." He smiled at Padma. "However, things may have evened out for us because of my outspoken sister-in-law. Parvati gave a number of old bats a piece of her mind at a garden party. I'm starting to like Gryffindors more and more."

"I'm sorry to hear about the Howlers, Vince, but, good for Parvati!" Ginny looked at Padma, "Sounds like I shouldn't send Thuban to dance class Monday."

"Oh," Blaise pouted, "he'll be heartbroken over that he will." The gentlemen at the table snickered.

"Dance class isn't a problem," Padma added. "Patty begged to go yesterday. Victoria took her. The children didn't say anything. We also went to the park in Diagon Alley with Parvati and the children didn't have a problem. Of course, ladies were whispering about me, but nothing was said to the children."

Pansy frowned, "People have been talking about the children of the Marriage Law since it was started. I think the children will be fine. No one wants to see them hurt." She turned to Greg who looked wretched, "What's wrong with you, Goyle?"

"Nothing," he muttered and went back to his meal.

"Lavender picked up Greggy and Gary this morning," Diane informed the group and Greg growled. "They're your friends," she softly said. "They want to help." She turned back to Pansy. "The little dears cried all night Thursday when he told them. They didn't want to go. This morning wasn't any better. It was distressing to send them off but Lavender says she ready to be a mother to them and Adrian…"

Greg hissed, "Adrian Pucey is a snake, trying to steal my sons."

"He isn't, Greg. Besides he wouldn't be able to…" Diane started.

Blaise chuckled, "Steal your sons? Pucey? I didn't know you thought so little of me, Goyle."

"What are you on about, Zabini?" Greg growled.

"If you're worried about Pucey stealing your sons, you must think he's a better man than I," Blaise went on to Goyle's confusion. "I've been trying to steal those little rats from you all year since Thuban dropped me for the Weasley twins. I need a new little mate but Greggy and Gary won't come over to my side. For some reason they think you're top shelf." Blaise took a drink, "It's a shame, really. I thought your kids had better taste than to pick you over me. I told them about your poor marks in school and even showed them that fourth year photo where you were fat and looked like a gorilla. I went so far as to offer them galleons. But they still picked you."

Greg smiled, "Thanks, Blaise."

Pansy kissed her husband's cheek, "Thank you."

Zabini rolled his eyes and pouted, "I don't know why you're thanking me. It's the truth. Did you see anyone on my shoulders when everyone was playing wizards and dragons at Malfoy's beach party? Noooo. Thuban and Serpens picked Weasleys… no offense meant to you, Ginbug. Victor picked Miles and according to both Greggy and Gary 'It's only fun on Daddy's shoulders.'"

--------------*************--------------

Ginny sat at the patio table reading a book to Serpens and Leo. Pansy came outside and sat at the table just as the story ended and Thuban and Cam stopped playing in the yard to welcome their auntie. After giving her a hug and kiss, Serpens and Leo went to the playground. Thuban turned to his mother, "Mummy will you please play Exploding Snap with me and Cam?"

Ginny didn't have time to answer before Greggy and Gary came running out onto the patio, "Race you to the swings," Greggy shouted to the Malfoy brothers as he passed them. Cam raced away but Thuban remained firmly planted in front of Ginny.

"Mummy, Snap?" he asked, pleading.

Ginny really wanted a couple of moments to speak with Pansy but it had become easier to read Thuban's needs in the past months and he only called her 'Mummy' when he needed her attention or was trying to get out of trouble. Before she could say yes, Draco walked up, greeted Greg and Diane and turned to his son, "Thuban, why aren't you playing with your mates?"

The boy looked sadly up at his father, "Cause I want to play Snap with Mummy."

"You'll have lots more fun playing with your mates. You haven't seen them in two weeks," Draco reminded the boy.

The little wizard pouted, "But I want to play with Mummy. I haven't…"

Draco turned the boy to the swing set, "Go play. If you boys are good this afternoon we'll take you flying before dusk."

Thuban frowned at his father, "I want to play with Mummy."

"Come here, Thuban," Ginny called. "Draco, it's alright." She smiled at Thuban. "Sweetheart, why don't you be my partner for Whist?"

"Really Mummy? I may play Whist with you?" The little wizard asked excitedly.

"Sure. You may play until Aunt Padma gets here and that won't be for another fifteen or twenty minutes."

Thuban proudly sat up at the table. Whist was an adult card game. His Grandmothers and Mum had been teaching him for a couple of months, but he'd never before gotten to play in a real game. He beamed and played the first two hands nicely. In the third hand, after the first two tricks were taken, he ran for Draco, bringing his father back to show him his hand and ask for help. Draco pointed out the card the little wizard should play but Thuban was puzzled and said, "I can't play that one, Dad." The boy pointed at the table, "Grandmother said you should never trump your partner's ace."

"You don't have a choice, son," Draco replied.

Pansy rolled her eyes, "Draco, are you telling us your son has a handful of trump?"

The blond wizard smirked, "My son," he announced proudly, "has a lay down."

"What's that, Dad?" Thuban asked.

"It means with the cards in your hand you will take all of the remaining tricks."

Thuban frowned, "But I don't have the Jack of hearts."

"Take the trick, Thuban. Now what card will you lead with," Draco asked.

"My Ace of hearts." The boy did so, the play went around the table and Pansy placed her Jack of hearts on the table. Thuban smiled. "I see. Now all my other cards are good and Mum and I win the game."

A house elf came out and announced Padma, Vincent, and their children.

"Thank Merlin you're here, Padma. You can end our shame. Thuban's beating us in Whist," Diane jovially called out.

Thuban vacated his chair and held it out for Padma. Once she was seated, the little wizard went over to his mother and hugged her, "Thanks for letting me play, Mum."

"Thank you for playing with me, Thuban." She kissed his cheek and he ran off to join his friends.

"It was really great at our Mum's new house. She put posters of my favorite Quidditch players on my bedroom walls. Got us lots of new toys and got us brooms for her house. Uncle Adrian was a Chaser on the Slytherin team and he took us flying. Mum even got on the broom with him so she could fly with us," Greggy happily told his friends.

"Your Mum flew?" Thuban asked surprised.

Greggy nodded, "She rode on Uncle Adrian's broom because Gary and me wanted to fly and she wanted to be with us. She spent all day Friday and Saturday with Gary and me. She played Snap with us. She played Gobstones with us. She baked us biscuits. She read us stories both nights and she tucked us in."

Gary Goyle smiled and nodded as his brother went on and on about all the wonderful things Lavender had done with them over the weekend until Patty interrupted him, "What about your mummy's new baby? Didn't she have to spend a lot of time with her?"

The dark haired boy's smile faded slightly. "Well, when Erlina cried, Mummy stopped what she was doing with us to see what was wrong. The baby sleeps most of the time. Plus she has a nanny each day too."

"I wonder what made your mummy change," Cam questioned.

"I asked my mum that question. She said she was so unhappy being married to my dad that she couldn't be a good mum. She said she is sorry and that she's learning how to be a good mum now. My mummy also said that she may not love our daddy but she has always loved us. Sometimes she just forgot to show it and say it."

--------------*************--------------

Thuban tried to slip behind the curtains to no avail. His dance teacher had spotted him. "Master Thuban, please dance with Miss Ellen Summerby. We'll be learning the Morris Dance today children," Madame Dansant said.

The little wizard didn't move. He hated dance class. Madame had made him, Greggy and Victor move up to the older class. He liked only a few of the witches here. Normally, he got to dance with Cara McLaggen. She was a sweet witch despite her parents both being Gryffindors. She was a Wimbourne Wasps fan and they talked about the team during breaks. But Cara already had a partner by the time Thuban came to class today. He didn't blame Cara because might have had to dance with Flint if she had waited too long for him.

He was late today because his mum hadn't been feeling well this morning. Well, the truth was she hadn't been feeling well since she returned from holiday. That was likely why she had an appointment that afternoon. They had gotten a late start and Thuban pleaded with her to let him stay at the Burrow with his brothers. After all, if she did that, she wouldn't be late for her appointment. However, his mum said she had time and Apparated them to the dance class. Why couldn't his mum have left him at the Burrow? Thuban thought.

"Come along, Mr. Malfoy. It's impolite to leave a lady waiting," the older witch stated.

Merlin, he wished there was a way out of this. He wanted to tell Madame Dansant that Ellen Summerby was not a lady and he only danced with ladies. But that would cause his teacher to Floo his grandmother and an upset grandmother led to an upset grandfather and that was never a good thing. So Thuban walked over to the witch in question and took her hand.

"I don't want to dance with you either, Thuban Malfoy," Ellen hissed. "Your grandfather is a bad man and so is your daddy. You'll be bad just like them."

"I want to be like my dad and grandfather," Thuban smirked. "You can believe they're bad if you want, but I know better."

"They did a lot of bad things. They are bad!" The girl made a face at him as they tried to dance.

He shook his head, "Lots of people have done bad things in the past but that doesn't make them bad now. You call Melissa hippy Missy, biggie piggy and chatty fatty. It's wrong to call people names. Does that mean you're BAD?"

She snarled at him, "Well, your daddy made your mummy have you. He did it because your grandfather Malfoy wanted him to have lots of children. It's really bad to make people have babies with you." Ellen got an evil smile, "Your mummy didn't want to have you and she doesn't want you. She doesn't even love you."

"You're so dumb," he chuckled. "My Mum wanted to have me. She loves me."

"Your daddy made her marry him then he made her have babies. She doesn't love you. Your Uncle Fred said none of the Weasleys love you." The girl nodded.

Thuban stared into Ellen's eyes and a smirk appeared on his face, "You're lying. Your parents read that stuff in the paper. You're trying to be mean."

The little witch stammered, "Well, it's the truth. Your daddy made your mummy marry him."

"My dad loves me, my mum loves me, and they love each other. That's all that matters," Thuban replied firmly. "Now be quiet or I'll dance you over by Flint. He's always stepping on people's feet."

--------------*************--------------

"Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy," Sara, Ginny's midwitch, stated as she entered the exam room.

"No need to be formal, Sara," Ginny replied. "My last cycle was June 15th when I stopped using the ring but we used a potion until July 3rd. I told Draco we don't need to see you until I missed my second cycle but he insisted."

Sara smiled and prodded Ginny to lie down on the table. She put her wand over Ginny's abdomen. "This is kinda pointless. By now I'm sure you both know when Ginny's pregnant before magic can even detect it." They laughed together as the light glowed. "Six weeks along and everything looks fine," Sara paused, "is your morning sickness the same as with the others?"

"As long as I nibble on gingersnaps I'm fine," Ginny explained.

"Good. Then I'll see you again in six weeks. We have a new test, safe for both mother and child. It will tell us at twelve weeks the sex of the baby. Would you like me to arrange it for your next visit?" Sara offered.

"No." Ginny replied.

"Yes," Draco said at the same time. Having heard Ginny's answer, he turned to her asking, "You don't want to know this time?"

"No, I don't. Do you mind? I don't want to find out until the birth."

Draco smiled in agreement. "Not at all. It will add to the excitement."

"That's settled then. They'll have your prenatal potion at the desk. If you have any problems Floo me." She made a couple notes in her chart. "Congratulations."

Draco placed his arm around his wife as they walked around the park. "So, when do you want to tell our friends and your brothers? Shall we have them over this weekend?"

She merely nodded. Confused he ushered them to a bench. "Ginny, you're happy about this right? This is what you wanted?"

"I'm happy. My emotions that's all. You know that."

He hugged her and kissed her cheek. "Love you." He paused. "Why don't you want to know the baby's sex?"

"I'm being silly I know but…" She leaned into his shoulder. "I'm frightened I'd be disappointed if I learned it was a boy. However, I know when the baby's born it won't matter to me." She turned to him. "I'm sure you don't understand."

Draco nodded and pulled her tight. "I understand." He looked at her sheepishly. "Because I wasn't using the Pervalidus potion all the time, I used to have nightmares that Thuban would come out looking like the Weasel."

Ginny stared at him, he sounded serious and his look had changed to one of horror. The blond wizard continued to speak without meeting his wife's eyes, "If he would have looked like the twins, I wouldn't have minded. George and Fred do resemble you in the face. But blimey, what if Thuban had the Weasel's misshaped body?" He finally turned and smiled at her. "But then the midwitch handed you Thuban and I just looked at him. Not really registering what or who he looked like. He was ours and he was healthy and I instantly loved him."

The redhead couldn't help herself, she covered her mouth to try and stop it but the giggles escaped, "Nightmares, Draco?"

He nodded. "They'd cause me to wake up in a cold sweat." She giggled louder, caressed his face and then kissed him.

--------------*************--------------

Draco pulled Ginny on top of him as they lay in the large bed. His hand slipped under her sexy nightgown and they kissed passionately. She moaned as he squeezed her backside and his fingers hooked into the waistband of her knickers.

A flash of lightening light up the room and a sound of thunder rang through the house as the storm outside grew closer. Draco removed his hand and flattened Ginny's nightgown. He sighed with disappointment but still clung to his wife. "We better stop. I'm sure we'll have visitors after the next sound of thunder."

She removed herself from his arms. "I should put something on a little less sheer." He sighed again. "You know dear, once the storm has passed and the boys are asleep, nothing is stopping us from making good use of a guest room for a time."

He pulled his hands behind his head and smirked, "You're brilliant."

As Ginny changed in her dressing room into no-thrills pajamas, she heard three of her sons enter the bedroom. When she returned Leo was wide eyed with terror and appeared to be trying to crawl into Draco's chest. Thuban and Cam were explaining to their father that they weren't scared but it was best if they stayed to help comfort baby Leo. The fact that Serpens wasn't on the bed was a testament to the child's ability to sleep through any noise.

Their collective attention turned to Ginny as she entered the room. Thuban whispered to Cam for a short time. Cam looked at his mother and said, "She is not."

"She is too," Thuban replied. They argued back and forth a number of times before Thuban challenged his younger brother, "She is too. Ask her."

"I will," Cam informed his brother and then turned to Ginny. "Are you growing a baby, Mummy?" Cam asked sweetly.

Ginny stood stunned in place, staring at the little boy. Draco turned to the boy and softly requested, "Repeat your question, please."

"Is Mummy growing a baby in her tummy? Thuban said she is."

Draco smirked, "What makes you think that, Thuban?"

"'Cause Mum is sick at times and she's eating gingersnaps. Plus we haven't had eggs for breakfast since you came back. And Mum is always coming up with excuses why she can't take me flying. The last time that all happened she was growing Leo."

"How would you feel about Mummy having a baby?" Draco asked as Ginny got into the bed.

"It would be great. Mummy loves babies," Cam added.

Ginny turned to Thuban whose face was woeful. This was unlike him. "What is the matter, Thuban?" she asked.

"Nothing," he pouted.

Draco took a breath. He never thought Thuban would be a problem but he might as well get it over with, "How would you feel about Mummy having a baby, Thuban?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't mind more kids. But… But… I hate it when Mum grows babies! Mummy can't fly, she gets sick and tired, later on she gets big and she walks really slow."

Ginny dissolved into fits of laughter as Draco and the boys stared at her in disbelief.

"Thuban!" Draco hissed, "that was…"

His wife cut him off, "It's the truth. I hate all those things too. But it's a small price to pay for a baby."

"I guess," Thuban mumbled. "It is fun to feel the baby when it starts to move. And we cuddle up and read instead of fly."

"So," Cam pointed at his mother's stomach, "is there a baby inside?"

Ginny smiled, "Yes, but it will be a long time before it's born." Each boy hugged her.

Thuban glared at Draco, "Did you put a girl inside?"

"I wish it was that easy, mate. But we are hoping for a little girl," Draco replied.

"Grandmother will be so happy. She was hoping that Mummy would have another baby. Leo only likes to nap with Grandfather. She needs a baby to nap with too," Cam advised the group.

"Cam, the baby is Mummy's news to share," Draco instructed his sons. "Do you all understand that? Mummy and I will tell everyone about the new baby when the time is right. Mummy and I will be the ones to tell Serpens in the morning. We will also be telling your grandparents tomorrow night."

Cam made a face as if he was thinking, "So when we go to the park with the Crabbes tomorrow we can't tell them?"

"No, you can't," Draco informed the boy. More lightening shown through the curtain, Leo and Cam clung to their father while Thuban turned to Ginny.

When the thunder sounded the little wizard hugged his mother, "Don't worry, Mummy. I'll keep you safe."