Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Love Is For by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Love Is For

d&gforever

Discoveries

--------------*************--------------

Thuban took a drink of his juice and looked around the Manor dinning room. He had to hold back a chuckle after seeing the concern sketched on his grandfathers' faces. They were being silly. There was nothing to worry about. His dad was with his mum. Nothing bad could happen to her. His dad really loved her now and truly and lovingly looked after the witch. Besides, this was his mum's fifth time having a baby. It was nothing for her.

It had been the senior wizards' idea to have dinner while Ginny was in labor. 'Babies can take some time,' his Grandpa Weasley had said, so the four Malfoy brothers, Arthur, and Lucius went to the dinning room. The boys wasted no time and started eating once the food was served. However, the older men had merely pushed their food around their plates.

"Grandfather?" Thuban asked. "May I go over to Alex's house after dinner?"

"Not tonight, Thuban," Lucius replied blankly.

"Don't you want to see your new brother or sister?" Arthur questioned.

"I'll see him or her a lot," Thuban giggled. "The baby is going to live with us. I don't need to see it so soon."

"Your mother will want you to share her joy. You will stay here," Lucius informed the boy.

"It isn't fair," Cam added. "We have to stay here and wait for the baby to come. But if it doesn't come before our bedtime, you'll make us go to bed."

"Ah, the problems of being a little wizard. You'll have plenty of time to visit with your friend across the road in the coming week." Lucius eyed his oldest grandsons. "Now eat up."

"Do you think Daddy and Mummy will be so happy when the baby comes that they will finally agree on its name?" Cam asked Thuban.

"They've already chosen names," Arthur interjected.

Serpens shook his head. "Mummy changed her mind. They are fighting over middle names. She wants to use Daddy's name if it's a boy instead of using her grandfather's name like they agreed. Daddy doesn't want to use his name."

"Well, we don't have to worry about that," Draco said as he walked into the room. "Ginny's well." The blond wizard beamed. "We have a beautiful, healthy baby girl."

--------------*************--------------

Thuban and Leo were on the right side of the bed. Serpens and Cam were on the left side. Ginny lay in the middle holding the baby which was wrapped in a yellow blanket.

"Mummy and I need your help," Draco started.

"We'll always protect her, don't worry, Dad," Thuban proudly announced.

Draco smiled. "I'm sure you will, mate. That's not the help we need. Mummy and I can't decide on her first name. Do you lot think she is a Vega or a Lyra?"

Leo touched the blanket to have a closer look at his sister. "She small."

"Can you play Quidditch now, Mummy?" Serpens asked.

Cam rolled his eyes. "Not for a couple of weeks. Daddy, Vega's a star and Lyra's a constellation, right?"

"Lyra is a constellation," Thuban told his brother. "Vega's a star within it. I think her name should be Lyra." He smirked at his mother. "Then when Lyra grows up and has a baby, she can name her Vega. You know, like you named me, because I'm a star in Dad's constellation. Besides, I like being the only star."

Draco leaned over and tickled his eldest. "That's my son. Thinking of himself first."

"What's her middle name?" Cam asked.

"Ginevra," Draco beamed.

"Lyra Ginevra Malfoy," the six year old shouted a few times before changing to, "Vega Ginevra Malfoy."

"Lyra sounds better," Serpens responded.

Ginny smiled at the baby in her arms. "Lyra Ginevra Malfoy it is."

"Are we ready for everyone else? I'll go get them," Cam said.

He scampered out of the room after his father nodded. Their grandparents were waiting in the sitting room, and so they entered quickly. Lucius and Arthur wandered over to Ginny. Narcissa and Molly went to the cradle. The grandmothers busied themselves removing the lovely neutral-color bedding and replacing it with adorable, pink, frilly items.

Ginny handed her daughter to Arthur. "Lyra, it's time to meet your grandfathers."

The redheaded wizard hugged the bundle before taking a good look at her. The shape of her face was the same as Cam's at birth, her hair the same frosty blonde. He smiled as he touched the tip of her softly rounded nose, it was the only sign of Weasley in her. Lyra stretched and opened her eyes. Arthur gasped.

"Her eyes are beautiful, aren't they?" Draco glowed with pleasure and pride. "I'm afraid I'll be powerless when she bats them at me. I have a weakness for that color."

Arthur turned to Molly. "You didn't tell me."

"She didn't open them when we were in here. Are they a lovely blue like Ron's eyes?" she inquired.

Draco muttered something rude about his youngest brother-in-law that only Ginny appeared to hear. He quickly made amends to her.

"No, Molly. She has Ginny's eyes," Arthur stated.

"How wonderful and unique!" Narcissa merrily voiced. "Your eyes are gorgeous, Ginevra."

The new mother blushed. "Thank you, Narcissa."

"I'm simply stating the truth, my dear." The blonde witch kissed her daughter-in-law's forehead. "You need to rest, darling. I'm so happy you came to the Manor. Now you can be looked after properly. I have the guestroom down the hall ready for your parents. Don't worry about the boys; we'll take care of them." She turned to her grandsons, "Boys, say your goodbyes."

"We'll be right down the hall." Molly kissed her daughter's cheek. "Rest well, sweetheart."

The witches and the boys started for the door. Lucius stood firm next to Arthur.

"Lucius," Narcissa softly said. "Ginevra needs her rest."

"I'm not leaving," Lucius demanded. "I've yet to hold my granddaughter."

"Daddy," Ginny whispered bringing Arthur out of his dreamy state. The wizard was lost in the eyes of the babe. When Lucius had stated his desire to hold the child, Arthur had subconsciously tightened his grip. He wasn't sure why he did it. Maybe it was because he was denied this opportunity before. Maybe it was because the babe in his arms reminded him of his own daughter. Maybe it was because he didn't trust the ex-Death Eater or his son. Draco was a wonderful father to the boys, but would he be the same for a little girl?

"Daddy," Ginny stated a little louder.

Arthur smiled at his daughter. His fears would have to wait. He wasn't going to spoil this day for her. The redheaded wizard handed the baby to his old enemy.

The blond kissed the baby's forehead. "You are lovely, little one." Lucius whispered a charm changing the yellow blanket to a luxurious pink satin confection with diamonds embedded in the frilly lacing and gold thread binding the blanket together. It sparkled even in the softly lit room.

At first glance Arthur thought the Malfoy crest was designed exactly like his grandsons' had been. As he walked by, the Weasley wizard noticed it was made of silver and emeralds. The spell that Lucius had used wasn't the simple color changing and embedding one he had used with the boys. It replaced the yellow blanket with an expensive one. The pink blanket was easily worth two hundred galleons. Clearly, Lyra would have the best of all material things.

--------------*************--------------

The next three days passed quickly. They always did with a new baby in the house. Waking up every two hours and taking naps were back in Draco's life. He was grateful that Ginny had decided to come and stay at the Manor for at least the first week. His mother and father were performing most of the care needed for their boys while he and Ginny got used to Lyra's routine.

The blond wizard walked down the quiet halls of the Manor with his daughter in his arms. Reaching the front parlor, he lay on the settee. Draco put his feet flat on the settee, bending his legs so he was looking at his knees. He placed his newborn daughter on his legs, looking into the babe's eyes.

"Daddy hopes you keep this schedule, Lyra. This is wonderful, an hour of daddy/daughter time before work each morning." Draco continued to chat absentmindedly to his daughter, also offering her his fingers to hold or place in her mouth.

Father and daughter had been bonding nearly a half hour when Thuban appeared at Draco's side. "I bet some of her hair will be a shade of red just like Serpens'. Lyra looks a lot like Mum. I like that." The boy knelt next to his father, placing his head on Draco's shoulder. "Good morning, Dad."

The blond wizard kissed the boy's forehead. "Good morning, mate."

"Mmmm… I know you're busy helping Mum take care of Lyra but I-" Thuban paused. "The Sonic Company just finished testing their new racing broom. Alex invited us to come over and see it. Mr. Kemps is bringing it home right after school. He'll let us ride it, if it's alright with you. But Cam and I would really like it if you came over to the Kemps' with us. Can you come, Daddy, please?"

"Test-riding a new broom with my eldest sons would be fun. We'll have to make sure that your grandmother is going to be home," Draco replied.

Narcissa and Cam entered the room. "Were you speaking of me, Draco?"

"Good morning, Mother. Are you going to be home this afternoon, around three until four? Thuban, Cam and I would like to visit the Kemps. It's too soon to leave Ginny alone to care for the younger boys and Lyra."

"Of course I'll be here, darling. I'll be happy to have you out of the house. It will give me a chance to hold my granddaughter," Narcissa said.

Cam giggled into his hand. "And we thought it was Mummy who wanted a witch."

"I have to get my hold time in now. I'm returning to work next week." Draco moved the baby so she was resting on his chest.

"Sweetheart, if you are going back to the office on Monday, you should stay here another week. Ginevra can't be expected to care for the children by herself so soon," Narcissa stated.

"I'll only be working half days. Stacy is going to come every morning. We need to get back home and create a routine," Draco replied.

"You could move back into your wing of the Manor. There's no-"

Draco stood up, handed Lyra to his mother and kissed the older witch's cheek. "Mother, it's best for us to live at Black Hall." He eyed her. "Don't try to pressure Ginny into staying."

"It's so quiet here without you," Narcissa whispered.

"You are always welcome in our noisy home, Mother."

Cam placed his hands on his hips and snorted at his father. "Our house isn't noisy. We're good boys. We don't yell inside. We don't run inside either." He looked at his baby sister. "And she doesn't cry very loud."

"Give her a month," Thuban countered. "They're always quiet at first and then they get louder and louder. Remember Leo? He was quiet at first."

"Oh." Cam's eyed opened wide. "She won't want any of our toys, right? She's a witch. They don't play with wizard things."

Thuban sighed. "We have to hope she's like Aunt Pansy and not Mum. Uncle Bill said Mum liked wizard toys."

--------------*************--------------

Scott Kemps, a brown-haired, tall wizard in his early forties, showed Draco into his study. He handed the blond wizard a tumbler of Firewhiskey. "What do you think of the broom, Draco?"

"I'd like to order one for Ginny. It's excellent for a Chaser," Draco replied.

"Wonderful. That's what we were shooting for. We're still working on a broom for a Seeker. It's in the final testing stages. The Beater and Keeper models are already complete."

"Position-related brooms, brilliant idea. I see why you moved to England. Quidditch isn't popular enough in the States for such brooms," the blond stated.

Scott chuckled. "Draco, our families have become too close to keep up pretenses. You knew why we moved here hours after I purchased the land." The wizard sat across from Draco.

"My father's a little protective. He trusts few people. When you have galleons, you have to be that way," Draco offered.

"My father does the same. We also know about new neighbors before they move in." Scott took a drink. "Leo has spent the last three afternoons in my home playing with Zach. This wouldn't happen unless you and your father trusted us. So, I believe we can trust you. Let me give you the complete story. My wife was adopted by Muggles in the United States. As Alex grew, he developed traits that can't be attributed to either me or my wife. It became important to Maisie to learn about her birth parents. She believes finding her natural family will help her understand the boy better."

Scott refilled Draco's glass and then continued. "Personally, I think this is unnecessary. I don't need to know why my son likes making potions more than riding brooms, or why his hair and eyes are black." He paused and smiled. "But I love my wife and will do all I can to make her happy."

"I understand. I'd prefer to live in the Manor over Black Hall, but Ginny prefers the latter," Draco replied.

Scott nodded. "Maisie adopted parents were told her birthmother was from in a village by Stone Hedge that she was sixteen at the time of Maisie's birth, and her wealthy family had hidden the pregnancy and birth from everyone. So we moved here in hopes to find her birth family. Maisie had only been to a few tea parties before the name Lis Mulciber came up."

"Your wife is the image of Lis Mulciber," Draco commented.

"We had thought the link was there. Rumours say she spent a year of schooling at Durmstrang Institute, yet they show no record of her attending. It was the year of Maisie's birth. However, we convinced Burdock Mulciber to agree to heredity tracing. Maisie isn't related to him." Scott stood and looked out the window, watching Alex play with Thuban and Cam for a short time. "Are there other Mulcibers still alive?"

Draco nodded. "There is one. He will likely not help you. Kirley has been in Azkaban for years and is quite mad. He is Lis' brother."

Scott looked hopeful. "I only need one of his hairs."

"The Ministry will not let you in. He fought with the Dark Lord at the final battle. Loyal Death Eaters are not allowed visitors," Draco informed Scott. "However, Severus Snape is a very good friend of my family's. He knew Kirley and Lis very well. He may be able to help you."

--------------*************--------------

Professor Snape set the black hair of Alex Kemps on the parchment. He whispered an incantation, placed a hair of his own next to the boy's and whispered another spell. Writing appeared on the parchment, and the wizard's black eyes focused on the paper. He had thought it would be true.

His mind went back many years. It was his eighteenth birthday. Lily Evans had just announced her engagement to James Potter. As he cursed the gods and vowed loyalty to the Dark Lord, he was pulled into a classroom. Lis Mulciber wrapped her arms around him, telling him he was too good for the Mudblood Evans. The fifteen year old gave him her innocence on a pile of pillows.

They kept their relationship sexual and secret for months. He told her once she turned seventeen, they would go public. He lied, saying her family would not agree with their age difference. The truth was he didn't love the witch, but he enjoyed the sex. Snape was upset seven months later when Lis announced she would spend the next year going to school at Durmstrang.

The Dark Lord had assigned Severus to take a teaching assistant's position at Hogwarts. He would not be able to get his bi-weekly shags with her in a different country. Snape accused Lis of wanting to whore around another school and told her not to come back to him.

When she returned a year later, Lis was distant. She didn't go to school, but threw herself into the ranks of the Death Eaters. The witch was killed by Aurors shortly after her seventeenth birthday.

"I thought as much," Lucius stated, bringing Severus out of his thoughts. Malfoy had entered the room when his friend didn't answer his knock. "Lis Mulciber is the grandmother?"

Snape eyes focused on the paper. He read, 'Sample one - Alexander Scott Kemps. Sample two - Severus Tobias Snape. Severus Snape is the maternal grandfather of Alexander Kemps.'

"Yes, the timing all works out. She never told me, but it doesn't surprise me. I was an arse," Snape muttered.

Lucius smirked, "Well, this is good news. Now there is a reason why Alex's Potion making ability surpasses Thuban's."

"I've a daughter and grandchildren. I'm not-"

"You are a father and grandfather, my friend. How do you plan on informing your daughter?" Lucius questioned.

"I plan on filling in all the pieces of her parentage first." Snape walked past his friend taking his traveling cloak. "I must speak with Mulciber."

--------------*************--------------

Severus sat in the holding cell. His many contacts in the Ministry enabled this visit. The wizard could only hope that Mulciber would talk to him.

The filth-covered wizard grinned as he sat across from his old friend. "Why have you come, Sev? Changing sides again, my sneaking friend?"

Snape placed a recent copy of the Prophet on the table. He turned to a photo of Maisie Kemps, showing it to Mulciber. The prisoner's eyes blackened. Fury rose in his face as he read the story and checked the date. "She is an impostor. My niece is dead." Mulciber sighed. "What does this impostor want from you, Sev? Did she tell you Lis' secret? You never cared about Lis did you?"

"I was a selfish arse but had I known she was carrying my child…"

Kirley fought against the chain that held him to his chair. He shouted cutting off Snape. "Your child! Your child cost my sister her life!"

The prison guard came to the cell window but Snape waved him away. Mulciber stopped fighting and lowered his voice to a hiss.

"My mother hid Lis' pregnancy. She sent her to live with her cousin in Bulgaria. It would have worked except the Dark Lord found out. If the child had been a boy, Lis would have brought him home. He would have been raised to be the Dark Lord's most valuable servant. Lis was a disappointment to the Dark Lord. First, she got pregnant and then she had a little girl. That's why he sent her to fight the Aurors when she returned." Mulciber stared out the window. "Pure-blooded witches shouldn't be whores. The Dark Lord's child couldn't be a whore."

"Why would the Dark Lord care so much about Lis? She was only sixteen and not a Death Eater?" Snape questioned. "Why didn't he punish me? I was a Death Eater."

"Lis wouldn't let the Dark Lord read her mind. So we didn't know it was you. But ten or so years ago I found Lis' diary, hidden in her bedroom wall. She talked on and on about you. I showed it to the Dark Lord and our plan was born." Kirley smiled at Snape. "You were successful, my friend. The baby always died with your Cloning Potion but your enhanced Pervalidus Potion worked. We added a strained of the Dark Lord's hair into it, gave it along with Pario to my niece and it was as good as a clone of the Dark Lord."

"My enhanced Pervalidus only works if the donor's bloodline runs through the witch," Snape stated.

"The Dark Lord's blood ran through my niece, Madeline. Lis was only my half sister." Mulciber laughed madly. "Madeline was a Muggle lover, like the Dark Lord's mother. Strange isn't it; the mothers of the two strongest wizards of all time having Muggle husbands. Madeline's beliefs made her good for only one thing, producing a strong magical heir. An heir safe from your treachery." He paused and smiled at Snape. "Prefect plan isn't it. Neither you nor your friend Lucius will kill a child that has your blood."

Kirley leaned forward. "I'm only telling you this because you can't stop the rise of the next Dark Lord. Go get your grandson, Sev. He's likely in a Muggle orphanage in Bulgaria." Mulciber's eyes became unfocused as he started to crackle. "The Dark Lord will rise again. He is coming. The Dark Lord will rise again." The wizard repeated the chant for over twenty minutes. Severus couldn't get Mulciber to speak with him again, so he called the prison guards.

As the guard walked Snape out of the prison the guard spoke. "Kirley's mad. You should believe a word he says. He spends most of his time chanting about the Dark Lords return. Wishful thinking if you ask me."

Severus didn't believe most of what Kirley had said. It wasn't possible. Maisie was his and Lis' daughter. She lived in the States all of her life. Scott was her husband of twelve years and he was a pure-blood. All this Dark Lord talk was nonsense. However, if Mulciber believed it other Death Eaters may too. He would have to be careful when he went to Bulgaria and visited the cousins Kirley spoke of.

The Potions master was surprised when he returned to his Hogwarts office. Maisie Kemps was sitting behind his desk. There was no need to read her mind, her questions were written on her face. She stared at the parchment that identified her son's grandfather. The witch had come to Hogwarts when Draco informed her of Snape's friendship with the Mulciber family. She had happened on the parchment while looking for him.

For months she had told herself she wouldn't question her birth parents if she ever located them. It was a lie, she wanted to know why. Why didn't they keep her? Why did they send her to the States? As she stared at the paper, she became enraged. What gave Snape the right to perform the charm on her son?

Snape placed two photos in front of her. One was Alex and the other of an oddly-dressed boy that was the image of her son. There was one important difference between them. Alex was gleeful and well loved. The other boy looked lonely and unloved. "I didn't take his hair. He left it behind. I helped Alex and Thuban make a potion after Leo's party. I had to know."

Severus sat down across from her. "Lis Mulciber, your mother, never told me. I was an arse. I don't blame her. I used her. I didn't know how to love. I don't think I know how to love even now."

"I can't be Lis Mulciber's daughter. The charm showed no blood link between Burdock Mulciber and me," Maisie replied.

Snape's thoughts went back to Mulciber's words. Maybe Lis was not a Mulciber. He nodded. "I need to go to Bulgaria and do some research."

"I'll go with you. I'll Floo Scott."

"NO!" Snape hissed. "Maisie, it may not be safe. You must not tell anyone about my findings, and you most definitely can not come with me."

"People already know I'm looking for my birth parents. I-"

"You will stay in England!" Snape ordered. "I will likely run into wanted wizards and witches. They are very dangerous people, Maisie. Stay."

"You can't go alone," Maisie stated.

"My dear, I have been doing things on my own all my life," Snape informed her.

"She was my mother. I want to go."

"I said NO!" Snape demanded. "I'll not have you risk your safety or the safety of your children."

She could tell the Potions master wouldn't listen to her words. He needed help, but he would never allow her to go. "Alright, I won't go as long as you agree to come to my home tomorrow morning. I have information that will help you in your search."

"Agreed," he snarled.

--------------*************--------------

Thuban watched Lucius and Draco return from the Kemps' home. He was surprised to see that Professor Snape was with them. The little wizard had heard his parents whispering this morning about the Kemps. It seemed that they had come up with information about Mrs. Kemps' real parents. Normally, the boy wouldn't care, but Alex had become his best friend. As the wizards entered the house, Thuban moved to the stairway. He was out of sight, but could hear them clearly.

"I will meet you at Hogwarts in two hours, my friend. Do not argue," Lucius said. "Draco, take Severus to my study, and talk sense into the man."

Lucius put his arm around Narcissa's waist, and they started up the stairs. Thuban hurried from his hiding place and into the luxurious nursery that Narcissa had just completed. The boy crawled under the table next to the door which attached his grandparents' chambers to the nursery. His location was easily concealed by the long cloth that covered the table.

The little wizard couldn't believe the changes his grandmother had made to the room. There was nothing wrong with it before. It had been better in his opinion. Now it looked more like one of the formal parlors. He was afraid to touch anything. There was no way his sister would like this room. It was way too fancy.

Noises from the other side of the wall reminded Thuban why he was there. He couldn't make out his grandparents' words, so he removed the Extendable Ear from his pocket and slid it under the door.

"Maisie's mother is Lis Mulciber. Severus is her father?" Narcissa questioned. "I thought there was something between them, but not that."

"Severus didn't know Lis was with child. I can't tell you any more, dearest. It's best for everyone," Lucius replied.

"Lucius?" Narcissa's voice was shaky.

"I'm sure you and the children are safe. The Kemps can be trusted. I must help Severus. We'll tell the children I'm going on a business trip. Draco will set up my cover. You will act as if nothing unusual is happening. The children will be returning to Black Hall on Monday as planned. You will stay there with them," Lucius stated.

Narcissa started to sob softly. Sounds of Lucius comforting his wife came clearly through the ear. Thuban pulled the item back. He hid it under the wardrobe and then exited the room. The boy knew it would be some time before either of his grandparents emerged. Consoling emotional witches took a long time. He'd learned that from his dad, grandfathers and uncles. Loving witches wasn't easy. At times he wondered why wizards kept them.

Thuban sat in his sitting room, wondering what he should do. If his Grandfather knew Alex's secret, chances were he wouldn't be allowed to play with his friend any longer. But his Grandfather needed to know, so he would be prepared when he found Alex's real grandmother. It wasn't an easy choice for the boy. While he was trying to decide whether to tell or not, Lucius passed Thuban's room, causing the boy to call after him.

"Grandfather. Grandfather." Lucius turned and entered the boy's room. The boy led the man to the sofa where they both sat.

"Alex is a very good boy. He's talked me out of doing bad things in school a lot. There is no bad in him, his sister, his brother, his father or his mother. They are a nice, good wizarding family." Thuban looked at his hands and twirled his thumbs. His voice creaked when he spoke again. "I have a secret you need to know. I don't like giving away my best friend's secrets. I know Alex isn't bad. He's a good guy. But maybe his grandmother is bad. You would need to know that."

Lucius eyed the boy. "Have you been using Legilimency?"

"No, I just hear things."

"I'm going on a business trip, Thuban," Lucius stated.

"Yes, Grandfather. I'll miss you. Will you promise not to tell anyone but Professor Snape this secret?" Thuban requested.

"Of course, Thuban."

"Maggie, Alex and their mother can talk to snakes."

Lucius looked seriously at his grandson. "Are you sure?"

The little wizard nodded. "I saw Alex do it first. I think I saw Mrs. Kemps do it. Alex told me about Maggie. He thinks Zach can too. But his dad can't talk to them."

--------------*************--------------

Molly walked down the hallway of Black Hall towards the family parlor. The laughter of her youngest grandchildren caused her to pause by the playroom. She was surprised to see Draco playing with the children. The witch had thought he had returned to work.

The wizard had his daughter on his lap. He was showing the baby to Leo, explaining to the toddler that his sister had two legs, a tummy, arms, and head. When he got to the fingers, he kissed each one as he counted.

"One, two, three, four, five," Draco said.

Serpens came running towards the group singing. "Once I caught a fish alive!"

The blond wizard smiled at his almost five year old son. He kissed and counted the fingers on Lyra's other hand. "Six, seven, eight, nine, ten," in a rhyme tone.

"Then I throw him back again," Serpens sung as he sat next to his father.

"Why did you let him go?" Draco sang.

"Because he bit my finger so," Serpens replied in song.

"Which finger did he bite?"

Serpens showed the small finger on his right hand, wiggling it. "This little finger on my right."

Draco kissed the boy's finger. "Good job, mate. That's your right hand."

The child showed his other hand. "And this is my left."

Leo turned Draco's face to him. "One, too, fee…" when Leo got to three Serpens joined in and the boys sang the cute little song again with their father.

Molly watched closely as Draco not only played with his children, but taught them through simple games. The grown wizard yawned a number of times, showing the weariness of the parent of a newborn. She had thought about taking over the childcare so he could rest. But she had come to help Ginny reply to the numerous owls and gifts they had received since Lyra's birth. Surely, her daughter would be in more need of sleep than Draco. She was the one waking up at all hours with the baby after all.

The Weasley matriarch was astonished when she entered the family parlor. Her daughter had a number of house elves helping her sort though the owls and packages and most of the owls where being answered by two elves. Ginny merely sat down from time to time to sign her name. There were only a dozen packages that were set aside for Ginny to personally look at.

What surprised Molly the most was the energy level of her daughter. Ginny was amazingly vigorous. She kissed her daughter's cheek. "You can't nurse Lyra if you are taking a Pick-me-up Potion."

"I'm not taking any Potion, Mum."

"Hasn't Lyra been keeping you up at night?" Molly inquired.

"Not really. Draco brings her to me. I hardly have to wake up." Ginny turned and directed the elves.

"Ginevra! I have- You-" Molly stammered before putting her hands on her hips. "You are a spoilt witch! Your husband is in the other room barely able to keep his eyes open because he's up all night with your new baby."

Molly left the parlor going back to the playroom. She would relieve her son-in-law. What was her daughter doing? Her husband needed his rest. He needed to get back to work. Wizards should only help out the first week and then they need to go back to bringing home the money. When she calmed down, she would have a talk with her daughter.

"Grandma," Serpens exclaimed as Molly entered the room.

"Good afternoon, sweetie. Are you having fun playing with Daddy?"

He nodded. "I'd have more fun outside, but Daddy's too tired to run around."

The witch held out her hands for her granddaughter and Draco compelled. "I have an idea. Lyra looks like she's ready to nap. I'll lay her down in the parlor, and then I can take you and Leo outside." Molly smiled at Draco. "Draco, you should go get some rest."

The blond wizard collected Leo into his arms. "Sounds good to me, Molly, thank you." He kissed his youngest boy's cheek. "It's close to your naptime, mate. What do you say we nap together?"

"I nap your bed, YES!"

Draco and Leo headed upstairs while Molly went back to the family parlor. Lyra was fussing slightly. "Serpens, have an elf get your cloak. Ginny, I believe Lyra's hungry," Molly stated.

Ginny took the baby, sat down and started to nurse. "Nan," she called the house elf. "Take Serpens outside, please." She smiled at her son. "Stay in the playground close to the house, sweetie. Grandma will be out soon."

"Okay, Mummy." Serpens went outside.

"Is Draco putting Leo down for his nap?"

"Yes, they're both taking a nap," Molly huffed.

"Mum, don't be that way. Draco enjoys helping with the children. Would you like some tea?" Ginny replied.

"I'm fine. I stand by my earlier statement, Ginevra. Draco has you spoilt. He is giving, and you are only taking. You need to be responsible for Lyra's care."

Ginny smiled. "You're defending Draco Malfoy. You think I have him hoodwinked?"

"It's easy to hoodwink a wizard under thirty. You merely need to keep them happy in the bedroom. But after thirty he'll want more or he'll realize it's easier to buy it than to cater to your whims," Molly replied frankly.

"Mother!" Ginny replied in shock. She paused for a moment. "Draco and Narcissa always pamper me after I give birth."

"Draco was half asleep in the playroom. He looked like he hadn't slept in days," Molly informed her daughter.

"He was?" Ginny said concerned and surprised.

"Yes."

"Lyra must be waking more than I thought. I'll talk to him." Ginny looked out the window. "Serpens is waiting for you, Mum."

--------------*************--------------

"Did you do something wrong?" Thuban asked as he and Cam helped Ginny make Draco's favorite chicken salad.

"No, I just thought I'd make this for Daddy as a thank you," Ginny responded.

"What are you thanking him for, finally making a witch with you?" Cam inquired.

Ginny held back a giggle. "I'm thanking him for all his help since I've had Lyra."

"Aunt Pansy said he's a good husband. She yelled at Uncle Blaise for not helping as much." Thuban informed the group.

"He's not being good. A new baby gives him a reason to stay home and play with us. Daddy just likes spending time with us," Cam stated as he placed the green grapes into the bowl.

"I like Dad being home so much. It's like a holiday. Do you think he'll be awake soon, Mum?" Thuban questioned.

"Leo will wake up from his nap any minute. I'm sure he'll wake your father," Ginny answered.

"Mum, seeing how you are feeling good enough to make this for Dad, do you think you can make biscuits tomorrow?" Thuban inquired.

"Thuban!" Cam scolded. "Daddy said not to ask Mummy for anything until Lyra was at least three weeks old."

"Yeah, but making biscuits for us makes Mum happy. Besides, biscuits made with love are the best biscuits." Thuban turned to Ginny. "You can wait until we come home. Cam and I can help you make them. I'm really good at measuring things. Cooking isn't that much different than Potion making."

"We'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow, sweetheart," Ginny replied.

The peaceful chatting in the kitchen was interrupted by the upset voices of Draco and Percy.

"I'm getting Ginny. She'll talk some sense into you. Malfoy, such matters need to be handled with great diplomacy," Percy stated.

"It's none of the Ministry's business how I handle family issues," Draco snarled.

"It most certainly is, when the heads of foreign states are concerned," Percy replied. "We simply wish you to reword your owl."

"The bastard's lucky I didn't send him a cursed howler. There will be no rewording."

"Be reasonable, Draco," Percy finished as he entered the kitchen. "Ginny, make your husband see reason. He's about to send an inflaming owl to President Icerski."

"Draco, I thought you owled him on Wednesday?" Ginny asked.

"I did. I explained very politely and completely that Lyra would choose her own husband. I made it clear that there would be no arranged marriage for our daughter," the blond wizard stated.

"It's a misunderstanding on his part. Look at your own marriage." Percy pointed out.

"Thuban. Cam. Go to the playroom please," Draco directed the boys. Only after they were gone did he speak. "Watch what you say in front of my children, Weasley. Ginny had a choice in our marriage. I sent her to Spain, France and many other countries that would have let her stay before our wedding."

"What a choice," Percy said sarcastically. "Live in a foreign country away from her family or live in England and marry you."

"It was a choice."

"Back to your owl to President Icerski. He requested an arranged marriage between Lyra and his son. It's not uncommon-" Percy started.

"Ginny," Draco turned to his wife. "Icerski sent us his family's naming robes. He demanded Lyra be named in them, and he demanded Lyra's hand in marriage to his son."

The witch stared at her brother. "Icerski's lucky I didn't get that package. Words would have been the least of his worries. How did you get the owl anyway, Percy? Has the Ministry taken to reading personal owls now?"

"When they are addressed to foreign heads of state, yes," Percy stated.

"You'll send the owl to Icerski as it is, Percy," Ginny hissed.

"We copied your first response, Malfoy. We believe President Icerski thought you were holding out for better conditions."

Draco snarled at his brother-in-law. "My children are not for sale. After receiving multiple requests for Thuban and Cygnus' hands in marriage, we formally announced that Malfoy children would select their own spouses."

"Draco, you made that statement about your sons." Percy reasoned.

The blond advanced on his brother-in-law. "Why do you think I would feel different about my daughter? I love her no less and desire to protect her more."

Ginny poked Percy in the chest. "I personally told Icerski two months ago that there would be no arranged marriage, boy or girl. His son has a twin sister. Draco won't be changing a word, Percy. Now, go home before I hex you."

"Ginny!" her brother yelled.

She pointed her wand at him. "Disapparate NOW!" He left with a soft pop.

"I'll send a courier to President Icerski to ensure he gets my Owl." Draco walked over and kissed her cheek. "Is that chicken salad for me?" The blond wizard beamed at his wife.

--------------*************--------------