Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Love Is For by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Love Is For

d&gforever

Author's notes: This was written before Deathly Hallows.

Unprintable

------------------***************---------------

"Mr. Sanders, she's here," the young witch informed the white robed wizard as he cut potion ingredients at the long black wooden table.

"Thank you, Sara. Please place these ingredients in containers for me."

Sara nodded and Sanders exited the room proceeding to his office across the hall. It would have been hard to miss the colorfully dressed witch waiting for him in the chair across from his large oak desk. Although well over fifty, she was dressed like a twenty-year old. Sanders bowed his head politely and presented his hand, "Good afternoon, Ms. Skeeter. It's a pleasure to meet you. According to my assistant, you're interested in my potion research?"

"Yes, my readers are very interested in why a highly regarded Potion Master such as yourself would leave the wonderful labs at the Ministry after an illustrious twenty year career."

Sanders smiled and offered Skeeter a piece of candy along with his reply, "The Ministry labs have limited resources and the majority of my research funding there was provided by the Malfoy family. So, it was only logical to join their Potion Company when they offered me my own lab and unlimited resources."

"And a large salary increase?" Rita inquired.

The old wizard chuckled, "The only galleons I care about are the ones I need for my research. I thought that was what you wanted to discuss, Ms. Skeeter, my development of the childhood potions which combat bowtruckle cough, Hinkypunk fever and Coxsickie?"

"Yes, yes, I will be getting to that soon, sir, but my readers are interested in why you moved to a private potions company when, for years, the Ministry has supported the development of all the needed medical potions. Do the Malfoys plan on keeping the potions you create, selling them for a vast profit to the highest bidders?"

Mr. Sanders raised a brow at the reporter and replied, "Ms. Skeeter, a reporter of your experience should know to conduct thorough research before conducting an interview. If you had, you would have found out that this company has several areas of operation and the area I'm working in is not-for-profit. The Malfoys will lose money on the potions I'm developing."

"Why would they do that?"

"The Malfoy family has made large financial donations to St. Mungo's for years. Mrs. Ginevra Malfoy's pet charity is Child Care and her philanthropy insures that all children receive proper health care regardless of their parents' ability to pay. Since becoming president of their foundation, the Malfoys have been the largest contributors to my research. Without their funding, I would not have been able to develop the bowtruckle cough immunization." He paused and then continued, "Because of my move here, the immunization potions for Hinkypunk fever and Coxsickie are in their final phase of development two years ahead of the Ministry schedule."

Unimpressed, Rita's quill barely moved as she forged forward with her interrogation of the potion master, "Wonderful, wonderful, but what will you work on next, Mr. Malfoy's pet project?"

The wizard sat up proudly in his chair, "I believe so. It will be the wonder of our time."

Her quill started moving vigorously.

Joshua Sanders, who was removed from the Healer's training program thirty years ago, beamed. He longed to replace the goddess Arianrhod. His main desire to create a potion that only allows what he deemed perfect children to be born.

Rita smiled at her quick notes quill and parchment and then looked at Sanders, "Don't you think people will object to this potion? The Ministry outlawed its use years ago."

Mr. Sanders stared at her puzzled, "Again, Ms. Skeeter, I believe there is a misunderstanding. Mr. Malfoy's, both Mr. Malfoys, in fact, pet project is a potion that will prevent Dragon pox."

"I was told that Pario potions were Draco Malfoy's pet project," Rita replied.

The older wizard folded his arms and leaned back in his chair, "I see now. It is true that Draco wants nothing more than to give his wife whatever she desires. But he is a realist, madam. The research on Pario is a side project and they are researching not only potions but also other methods that can control the sex of a child before conception. In the last six months, for example, they have learned that different foods effect the number of x and y chromosomes in a wizard's semen."

"You support this research even though the Ministry outlawed Pario decades ago?"

"Pario was outlawed for many reasons. Dangerous to the witch, a wizard could took it without informing his wife. Our researchers are trying to make the potion one hundred percent safe for the witch." He sat forward and leaned on his desk. "First, we want to eliminate the risk. In the meantime, Mr. Malfoy is discussing with the Ministry how and when the Pario potions can be used. We see it being used in limited cases. It will not be given to a couple simply because they want a child of one sex versus the other. There are a large number of wizards and witches who do not have children because of problems with sex-linked genes. For example, if they had a boy he would be born with a deadly disease but their daughters would be healthy. The same problem can exist in reverse. Many of these people turn to Muggle medicine which has its own risks." Sanders stared Skeeter in the eye and continued, "I ask you, Ms. Skeeter, should not a couple be allowed to avoid such risks and have at least one healthy child? And in cases such as the Malfoys, what is the harm in letting a couple that has four or more children of one sex have just one child of the opposite sex?"

Rita grinned devilishly, "Would you also allow gender selection based on the chances of having a squib? In families like the Bulstodes, twenty percent of their male children are squibs."

"We've not yet thought about that, Ms. Skeeter." He stood up, "I'm a very busy man. I must be getting back to my work. If you have any more questions about the Pario project contact the Ministry. They are updated on it weekly and have much more information about it than I. Good day." Sanders sighed before firmly closing the door behind him.

------------------***************---------------

Ginny sent the boys to the pool with Ron and Luna while she waited for Leo to wake from his nap. Her sons enjoyed swimming and she would have loved to indulge them earlier in the week but couldn't safely keep an eye on all four at once. Watching the boys while swimming was on Draco's long list of tasks he didn't trust the servants to perform so asking the house elves help was out of the question. Ginny disagreed with Draco but honored his wishes just as he honored hers not to Apparate with more than one of the children at a time.

She entered her dressing room to retrieve her one piece swimsuit. Leo, the little devil, had developed the habit of pulling on her bikini top and had successfully shown one of her breasts to every one of Draco's friends in the past month. It had become a game and even firm smacks on Leo's bottom don't deter him. A one piece would be much harder to pull down and she would be able to stop him from exposing her.

She had just bent down to search a bottom drawer when she heard her bedroom door open. Since it was still early in the afternoon she assumed it was one of the house elves and called out, "Is there a problem?" as she located the suit and pulled it from the drawer. Getting no response she asked, "Is Leo awake?" The question had just left her mouth when she became aware of Draco's unique scent. She spun out of the small room and launched herself into his arms much like a schoolgirl greeting her boyfriend after a long holiday. "You're hours early. Merlin, I've missed you," she whispered before kissing him deeply.

Draco returned her enthusiasm, placing his hand firmly on her bottom, lifting her feet off the floor and walking with her to the bed. Her legs hit it sooner than he expected causing both of them to tumble onto the soft pillowed top. They laughed as their kiss ended. He lay on his side next to her and tenderly brushed the hair from her face. "It's nice to be home," he murmured softly before leaning over and kissing her again.

She melted into him for only a moment before Lucius' words rang in her mind, "I'll defer Owling Draco, Ginevra, so he may enjoy his hunt. However, you must promise to inform him of today's events as soon as he comes home." Ginny tried to relax and bask in her husband's love. They needed a few more moments of bliss before he heard the disappointing news but Draco sensed her ever so slight discomfort and pulled away.

"The boys are close can't get too worked up?" he guessed.

Ginny shook her head as she sat up and caressed his face, "We had a little unpleasantness while you were away," she whispered.

Draco sat up next to her, "Go ahead."

"I left Marietta alone in the house," she paused and glimpsed at him and saw that he was making no attempt to hide his annoyance. "She tried to enter your study. Thuban saw her and thought it would be best to let her in and have the wards do their job. Your father sealed up your study and had a discussion with Thuban about his actions.

We thought that was the end of things, but Monday Marietta showed up at Malfoy International with three other Ministry officials demanding access to all the potion company files. She'd gotten the needed authorization by claiming that a number of documents she'd found in the trash by my desk were yours." Ginny could see Draco's anger growing as she forged forward, "Luck was on my side because Lucius delayed them and I got there in time to explain that the documents she had were from my work for the twins, not related to Malfoy International. That stopped their obtaining of any files."

She looked into his eyes, remorseful, and continued, "I'm so sorry, Draco. You told me not to leave Marietta or Percy in the house alone and warned me many times about the dangers of throwing documents into the trash. I just didn't want to believe that my brother and his wife would betray me or that the Ministry would jump at the chance to make something out of nothing. I promise to Incendio all my documents from now on, and as for Percy and Marietta, well, they won't be coming back to Black Hall anytime soon. I just wish there was more I could do, I'm so sorry to have let you down."

Draco rose from the bed, his back to Ginny as he struggled to get hold of his anger. His first inclination had been to berate her for her naiveté, but that would reduce her to tears and he couldn't bear making her cry. After all, it really wasn't her fault, it was Marietta's. So he took a few moments to breathe deeply and calm himself before turning back to her. Caressing her face lovingly, he responded, "I understand that you didn't want to think ill of anyone in your family. But now Marietta has proven herself untrustworthy. Moreover, according to the twins, Percy has sneaked around their house and shops as well.

And it's a shame you had to learn about the underhanded methods of the Ministry. But we have to remember that many people will never forget or forgive my father's and my dark actions in the war. They will always be watching us and using any means to prove us guilty of crimes.

So, my lovely wife," he added with a smile and a wink, "we must take a page from Moody's book and practice 'Constant Vigilance'." Draco's resorting to this bit of humor cheered Ginny and earned him a smile. "That's my girl. Now, I need to get to the office and make sure everything is cleared up." He headed for his dressing room to change into a robe more suitable for work.

Ginny couldn't hang onto her smile as she remembered to tell him, "Draco, one more thing," she sputtered, "Thuban cussed at Marietta. Lucius will be…"

"I'll be back in two hours. Have Thuban waiting for me in his room and have us all packed up for the beach house. I'll get all this nasty business behind us then we'll head out." He made one last trip back to the bed where she still sat and kissed each of her cheeks, "I love you. Don't worry yourself about this anymore."

------------------***************---------------

Lucius' eyes narrowed in anticipation as a very angry Draco exited his office and made his way over to his father. With Ginny safely at home, Draco didn't have to worry about hurting her feelings and felt free to vent his rage at Marietta's atrocious behavior. He was furious at his sister-in-law for being so disloyal and taking advantage of Ginny's good nature. Even though he was a little upset with Ginny for allowing it to happen, her mistake was trivial compared to the fact that her brother and his wife had betrayed her. He was sure Ginny would learn from this incident and was grateful that luck had been with them and her mistake hadn't caused them larger problems.

"I see Ginevra has informed you of our little bit of excitement on Sunday and Monday.

Draco snorted. "Yes, let me get a better understanding of the damage." He turned to his secretary. "Mandy…"

"Mr. Malfoy, you know I think highly of Thuban. He's a lovely little boy, but the language that came out of his mouth Monday," she paused, "well, it was shocking."

"I will be discussing that matter in detail with Draco, Mandy," Lucius informed the witch. "However, thank you for the reminder."

She nodded in acknowledgement and continued, "We checked every file and document after the Ministry personnel left Monday, Mr. Malfoy. Somehow one of them did get their hands on one of our potions files detailing our research in China. The information they obtained is harmless, seeing as the Ministry already gets a copy of that file weekly."

"Thank you, Mandy. And I'm tremendously sorry about Thuban's display Monday," Draco bowed his head to the witch before turning to his father. "Shall we go into your office? I fear you have much to tell me."

------------------***************---------------

Greg grinned as he stood on the sidewalk of Diagon Alley and watched Diane through the window of Weasley Wizard Wheeze's. His young bride-to-be looked beautiful but also drained and it was only two forty-five. He had found out from the Weasley twins that she would be leaving around three. She'd made the mistake of informing the store manager, Frank Kepp, that she wanted to leave early so she could clean her apartment before Greg returned from his hunting trip. Diane should have known better than to trust a wizard, Greg thought, they were all in cahoots. Frank had happily passed the information on to Greg. The dark haired Slytherin knew that the more times he caught the young witch struggling on her own, the sooner she would be living under the roof of his London Townhouse.

He walked into the shop after she went into the backroom to remove her apron and collect her purse.

"Well, it's a surprise to see you, Goyle," Frank said loudly with a wink. "We better get this place in shape. If you're here, my bosses can't be far behind."

"I think you're safe, Kepp. The twins were heading to Hogsmeade last I heard," Greg replied.

Although Diane was happy to hear her fiancé's voice, she had to force a smile: her flat was a mess, especially her room. Life without house elves wasn't easy for her to get used to but she didn't want Greg to know that. So she made a show of throwing herself at Greg, acting overjoyed to see him. "How wonderful, you're early. Why don't we go back to your house and have a couple of drinks by the pool? I'm dying for a swim."

He kissed her cheek and walked her out of the shop, "I was hoping to see your flat," Greg looked at her with sex clearly on his mind, "Gary's at my house. I believe you said having your own flat would give us some advantages?"

A groan escaped Diane. Her flat a mess and she was exhausted from long hours at work and needed to rest.

"Is there a problem, sweets?" Greg asked, barely repressing his mirth. He'd gladly take her to his home and pamper her if she'd tell him the truth that she was tired and her flat was a mess.

"I've been looking forward to a soak since Sunday."

Greg grinned, "And you'll have one after a lovely snog in your new flat."

Diane rolled her eyes, "You're determined to see my flat?"

"Of course. I need to make sure there aren't any wizards nearby. And if there are, I need to inform them that you're taken." He placed his arm possessively around her waist. "Now, can you Apparate us there or do we have to walk?"

"It's only around the corner from the Leaky Caldron. We can walk." She leaned into him pleased to have him back by her side. "We don't have house elves, so it's a bit messy."

"My town…"

She placed her finger over his lips, "I don't want to hear about your townhouse and its house elves. I want to live on my own. So hold your tongue and keep your opinion to yourself."

------------------***************---------------

Having deposited Thuban in his chambers to await his father, Ginny sat in her sitting room reading Witch Weekly. Draco would need to be comforted and reassured after disciplining the boy and would come to her for solace. As they had grown closer over the years she had replaced Narcissa and Lucius as his source of support. So she set the magazine down when the door slowly opened and Draco dragged himself into the room and flopped onto the settee opposite her. She could see that he wanted to crawl into her arms, but something was holding him back.

Ginny inched her way over to him and confessed, "I love you and if it were within my power, I'd turn back time and do things differently. Thuban was very well behaved after Monday. I would have punished him myself, but Lucius refused to tell me what Thuban said to Marietta."

"A witch's ears should never be subjected to such words," Draco explained, his voice was flat as he put his hand up to stop Ginny from coming to sit next to him. Instead of cuddling up in her arms as he wanted to, he pulled out a parchment and continued, "We have one last bit of unpleasantness to deal with. Please tell me why you spent so much money in Muggle London and Diagon Alley on Monday and why you found it necessary to threaten to move our accounts to another bank."

Ginny saw how frazzled he looked and her heart went out to him. "Well, those awful goblins didn't waste any time reporting to you. I thought I'd have tonight to fill you in on what happened." She gave him a sexy smile, "I needed new intimate wear to replace my nursing tops. Oh, and I got a special new nightie for your homecoming." She watched her handsome blond lover for his reaction and was rewarded with the desire in his eyes as his breath caught.

"Is that so? Well, will I be getting a fashion show this evening?"

"Once the boys are asleep," she kissed his cheek and continued telling him of all she accomplished on her shopping trip. "I bought Thuban his summer camp wardrobe, some clothing for the boys and couple of lovely little dresses for Pansy and Blaise's baby when she's born, a Naming gift for Sophie and some more lovely outfits for our anniversary trip. As for threatening to move our accounts, well that truly dreadful goblin wasn't going to increase my debit card amount! I have no problem telling you how I spend our money, but I will certainly not answer to a bank employee."

Draco couldn't help but chuckle softly. Ginny sounded just like his mother. The goblins would learn soon not to cross Ginevra Malfoy. "You're right, of course. I'll talk to the bank and set them straight." He encircled her in his arms and asked, "Is there anything else I need to know?"

"Ron and Luna are here."

He growled. "In that case, I'll need a good snuggle before we go downstairs."

------------------***************---------------

Thuban retrieved Draco's invisibility cloak from the trunk where he'd secreted it prior to his confrontation with Marietta. He'd forgotten about it until his chat with Draco about his misbehaving while his father was away hunting. The little wizard had barely escaped a spanking for his cussing offense and he wouldn't be so lucky if he didn't get the cloak back into his father's dressing room undetected. He smirked as he approached the pool, confident that his plan was both easy and ingenious. All he had to do was tell his brothers their father was home and they would run up to the master suite and distract Draco and Ginny long enough for him to return the cloak.

He pushed the door open and screamed, "Dad's home! Dad's home!"

Cam climbed out of the pool, "Where?!"

"He's in his bedchambers."

"Wait up, Cam!" Serpens yelled excitedly.

"Da… Dee! Da… Dee!" Leo squirmed in Luna's arms.

"I'll take you upstairs," Luna announced before looking at the older boys. "Dry off first, boys. You want to welcome your father home, not be scolded for tracking water through the house."

The boys didn't really dry, they merely threw on their cover-ups and headed out the door. As soon as Thuban thought no one was looking, he put on the invisibility cloak and followed his brothers.

Ron climbed out of the pool and looked in his daughter's pram. Seeing that the baby was still asleep, he dried himself, put on a shirt and went over to Luna and took the pram." Baby in tow, the couple left the pool and watched first Cam, then Serpens, enter the house through the door into the Family Parlor. "Luna, where's Thuban?" Ron asked.

"He must be inside already."

The redheaded wizard looked around, "I don't think so, he left after Cam."

"He has to be inside, Ron. The door from the pool to house is open and we would have seen him if he ran anywhere but into the house."

Ron scanned the grounds and concluded, "He's up to something. We should have seen him, Cam is a much faster runner then Thuban. There's no way he got into the house first."

Luna lightly elbowed him, "Stop thinking like an Auror."

"All right. But I think it's best if I take Leo up and make sure Thuban's there."

Draco broke their kiss as the sounds of excited little boys became deafening. Knowing his sons would be too thrilled to knock, he got up and opened the door before they arrived. He didn't want to spend anytime scolding them. The doorknob was still in his grip when Cam came through and attached himself to Draco's leg. Serpens wasn't far behind and Thuban succeeded in sneaking through the doorway under the invisibility cloak undetected. He waited by the nursery door for the right time and once he was sure that his parents wouldn't notice the door open, he went inside. Going through the nursery was safer. The less time he spent in his parents' bedroom the better.

Ron knocked on the open door and set the screaming toddler down as Leo's exuberant shouts of "Da… Dee!" rung through the room.

Ron scanned the room for Thuban and not seeing him, went over to Ginny whispering to her, "Thuban disappeared on me."

Frightened, she whispered back, "What do you mean, disappeared?"

Despite having three little wizards jumping on him, Draco didn't miss Ginny's expression or tone. He quickly, handed each boy a wrapped gift to distract them and then went to his wife's side to ask Ron, "What's wrong, Weasley?"

"Thuban came to pool, told the boys you were home and then disappeared. I saw him standing by the door to the pool, I glanced down into the pram to check on Sophie and when I looked up he was gone."

Draco shook his head and muttered, "My cloak," and left to check for the item.

The opening of the bedroom door startled Thuban and he dropped the cloak he was trying to hang up. He froze in place, so not to make a noise, hoping to remain undetected. But all hope was lost when he heard the doorknob to the dressing room move. He hid behind Draco's long formal dress robes where he couldn't be seen but could hear what was happening.

Draco groaned at the sight of the silvery cloak on the floor. He hung it up and leaned against the door jam. "Thuban," he sighed, "come out. It will only make matters worse if I'm forced to search for you."

The little boy calculated his chances and decided it best to reveal himself. He stepped forward and explained, "I was returning it. Remember, I told you I spied on Aunt Marietta? I needed it for that. I just forgot to return it. I didn't want to bother you or Mum with it." Thuban beamed at his father trying to pass himself off as being a very helpful little wizard, not a naughty one.

His grinned earned him a soft smack on his bottom. "Go let your mother know you're all right. Then go to your room," Draco ordered.

Thuban moved quickly from his father's sight into the sitting room and his mother's arms. "I'm sorry if I worried you, Mum. I was just putting Dad's cloak back. I needed it to spy on Aunt Marietta."

Cam walked over and handed his oldest brother a gift, "This ones from you, Thuban."

Draco held out his hand, "Give it here, Thuban. You know the rules." The little wizard walked over, placed the gift in his father's hand giving him the famous Weasley twin pout. It took all of Draco's strength to maintain a straight face. "Room, Thuban!" he ordered pointing a finger at the open door.

Draco walked over to Ginny and Ron as Thuban left the room. When they heard his chamber door close, Draco hissed to Ron low enough so the other boys couldn't hear, "Total disregard for rules. That must be something he inherited from you, Weasel."

"I'll take that as a compliment, Ferret," Ron replied, whispering into Draco's ear with a great deal of mirth in his tone.

------------------***************---------------

Melissa Manning, young, svelte and blonde, sat down at a corner table in the Three Broomsticks where she frowned at the smug old witch sitting across from her and began, "I've only come, Ms. Skeeter, to demolish your day." That said, she turned to order a soda and continued, "You see, there is no dark reason behind Mr. Malfoy's starting to research the Pario potions. It's actually a heartwarming love story, something you'd never write about. He started the project in December and is after the Pariopuella potion. Mrs. Malfoy wants a daughter and being the only Weasley witch in several hundred years and with no record of any Malfoy having ever sired a witch, they knew extraordinary measures would be needed."

Melissa thanked the waiter for her drink and then continued, "Mr. Malfoy loves his wife so deeply that he agreed to look into Muggle methods of gender selection. Sadly, they proved too dangerous for Mrs. Malfoy so he ordered research on Pariopuella to begin. The potion as it currently exists is too dangerous and he wants to make it completely safe for the mother. It's a simple tale of love, a wizard spending thousands of galleons in hopes of fulfilling his wife's dream." Melissa grinned broadly, placed her drink on the table and stood up to leave. "Good day, Ms. Skeeter."

Once she was gone, a gray-haired wizard leaned over from the next table to introduce himself and regale Rita with his version of the facts. With great sarcasm he began, "David Cadwallader here at your service, madam. What an endearing story that was! Sadly, it's rubbish, total hippogriff shit. Young Malfoy likely slipped that biddy a few galleons and a great shag to get her to come here and tell you all that rubbish. You know, the witches always said he was an excellent lover."

"Pardon, me," Rita queried, "what makes you believe Malfoy paid her to come here?"

"Do you know what Severus Snape was working on for the Dark Lord in the first war?" he asked.

The reporter shook her head. He joined her at her table and continued, "I'm here because I heard you were looking for information about the Malfoys and Pario potions. It all started in the first war and it's safe to say that by now they've perfected the potions Snape was working on then." He placed a key on the table. "I'll meet you there in two hours. We need to talk in private."

------------------***************---------------

Vincent had tried numerous times to get his wife's attention as she watched their two youngest playing in the backyard. He wanted a nice snog with her before being attacked by his children but luck was not on his side and Patty spotted him only seconds before Kenny did.

"Daddy! Daddy!" the little wizard screamed as he jumped into his father's arms. "I'm so glad you're home. Witches! Daddy! Witches! Nothing but me and witches since Victor left." The boy took a large breath. "Both Grandmums come over every day to make sure Mummy's fine. They spended all their time telling me to be quiet so Mummy could nap."

"Daddy!" came the Patty's high pitched squeal. "I missed you." The little witch clung to his leg and he tried to hug her as best he could with Kenny on his other hip.

"I missed you, too," he told them as he gave Padma a look that clearly pleaded with her to come to him, seeing as he was unable to detach either child from himself. Vincent leaned forward and kissed his wife. Wanting to get closer to her he told the children, "I have presents in my case for each of you."

Patty was the first to let go and run inside but Kenny pulled on his father's face needing reassurance, "You're not going away again, right?"

"No, I'm staying right here."

Assured that his father would remain, Kenny released his death grip on Vincent's neck allowing his father to set him on the ground. Once the children were gone, Vincent caressed the back of Padma's neck, one hand resting on her pregnant belly as he leaned his head down to hers. He kissed her gently before running his tongue over her lips for permission to enter and she, as always, couldn't deny him. Padma tried to remove Vincent's hand from her belly. She enjoyed his touch but the little witch growing inside her always knew when it was her Daddy's hand and would punch or kick to steal his attention. Padma wanted him to herself for just a little more time but it was already too late. The baby had kicked very hard at his hand.

Vincent knelt, kissed Padma's belly and then whispered to their growing daughter, "Daddy missed you too, yes he did. It's hard for me to sleep when I'm not feeling you move under my hand."

Padma sighed as Vincent kissed her stomach. "Daddy will play with you later, baby," he continued, explaining, "Mummy needs some attention now." He stood up and placed soft kisses on his wife's neck. "I missed you the most, Pad. Love you, honey."

"Well, he returns!" Victoria Crabbe scoffed from the doorway. "It's about time. Your home is in need of cooling charms. Your wife has had a ghastly time sleeping in this heat."

"We'll finish this tonight," he whispered in Padma's ear before turning to face his mother. "Mother," he stammered noticing that his in-laws were standing next to her. "Amal, Priya, what a nice surprise." Vincent walked over and shook his father-in-law's hand and kissed his mother-in-law's cheek.

"We weren't expecting you until this evening, Vincent," Amal replied. "But it's good you're here now. The witches insist that the cooling charms be refreshed. Personally, I see no problem with them." Mrs. Crabbe and Mrs. Patel gasped at him but he continued as if he hadn't heard them, "You'll appease them. I'm sure Padma's problem is merely pregnancy hot flashes. I'll refresh the charms downstairs. You can do the upstairs."

"Sounds good to me, sir." Vincent kissed Padma's cheek. "I'll be back soon, sweetheart."

Padma watched as Patty went with her Grandfather and Kenny went with Vincent and then she and the other two women went over to a table and had tea brought.

"So, darling, have you discussed the permanent prevention charm with Vincent?" Priya Patel asked her daughter. "Four children is a lot and the permanent charm is the only one that seems to work for us. Parvati is very happy with it. She and Michael have stopped at three children."

"Mother, I'm very aware of how many children by twin sister has," Padma half scoffed at her mother.

Victoria Crabbe quickly retorted, "I would think that two accidents, one out of wedlock, would make the charm appealing to you."

Kenny ran out on the balcony above them and to the right. The little wizard waved at the witches. "Me and Daddy are making sure the cooling charms are done bestest in your rooms, Mummy!" He ran back inside before anyone could rely.

Padma eyed the older women. "I prefer to think of them as outstanding surprises that have enriched my life. As for getting pregnant outside of wedlock…well that can't happen again." She smiled at the women and offered them another cup of tea.

------------------***************---------------

Rita knocked on the door at the Hogshead Inn's private room. David Cadwallader showed her in and then placed a number of wards around the room.

"The Dark Lord was always chasing immortality. During the first war he decided to do it through creating duplicates of himself. Cloning, I belief is the common Muggle term. He set Snape to work on creating what they called Parioeffingo. It could be taken by the mother or father before conception to create a child that is their duplicate. Or you could put a bit of who you wanted the child to be a duplicate of in the potion. They used the second method. The Dark Lord couldn't be bothered with impregnating numerous witches." Cadwallader took a drink of his fire whiskey and continued, "It never worked for them. The infants all looked like the Dark Lord but they died at birth and the mothers suffered the same fate as others who had taken Pario potions."

Skeeter's quill was busily writing. "You believe the Malfoys are trying to create another Dark Lord using Parioeffingo?"

David laughed at her and replied, "The Malfoys think they're better than anyone else. I believe they've already used Parioeffingo twice and then Draco decided to have a little heart and not to risk Ginevra's life again. That's why this research has been undertaken at this time."

"Do you have proof of this?" Skeeter squeaked excitedly.

"Thuban and Cygnus Malfoy are the proof. Thuban is a replica of Draco while Cygnus Black's essence was used to create Cygnus Black Malfoy. Ginevra has been very lucky." He tossed a number of photographs onto the table as proof. "Look for yourself. Photographs of Thuban and Draco at the same age; there is no difference. The same is true for Cygnus Malfoy and Cygnus Black."

Cadwallader put his wand to Rita's head, "Now, Ms. Skeeter, I will need payment for my information." She placed a bag on the table. He whispered a spell and she fell asleep. "I couldn't have you remembering who I am."

Leaving a sleeping Rita Skeeter at the Inn, he walked swiftly through the village of Hogsmeade, happy for the first time in three years. He was certain that Snape and the Malfoys had the Parioeffingo potion working but he had lied to the reporter. For he was certain that Lucius Malfoy did think the Dark Lord was a more powerful wizard then he was and the only thing stopping the Malfoys from making another Dark Lord was that they currently lacked some part of Voldemort for the potion. Once Skeeter's story broke, the Malfoys would be stopped and there would be no danger of the Dark Lord being reborn.

------------------***************---------------

Ginny and Ron laughed loudly as they read Rita's story. Both The Prophet and Witch Weekly had refused to print the story so Skeeter had given it to The Quibbler. Luna's father, wanting no part in anything that might bring his daughter unhappiness, had passed it on to Luna to handle. Mr. Lovegood had met both Thuban and Cam and knew that printing the story would cause the Malfoys great pain.

"I can't believe the fables this woman concocts," Ginny giggled.

Ron relaxed in his lounge on the beach watching Thuban run through the water with Rani at his side. "Thuban looks all Malfoy, but anyone who knows us would realize that his personality is mostly Weasley."

"He's a little too much like the twins," Ginny affirmed. "I don't know how Mum managed to raise them."

"I agree, he is very like the twins," Ron responded. "If Skeeter had written about just Cam, I might have believed Parioeffingo had been used."

Ginny scowled at him.

"Gin, now he didn't act like he loved you back then. It…"

"It would have been akin to murder, Ronald. Draco would never!" Ginny reached for her wand.

A low growl came from the porch behind them. "Ginevra, the children are watching," Draco warned as he accompanied the house elf out onto the beach. "Weasley, what have you said to upset my darling wife?" Draco asked handing the witches drinks from the tray the elf was holding before sitting down on his lounge beside Ginny.

Ginny complained, "Ron thinks you would have used a pario when we were…"

"Merlin, Weasel!" Draco erupted. "Three-quarters of the time the mother dies in childbirth when pario potions are used." Draco's tone revealed how offended he was at Ron's suggestion but he made sure to keep a smile on his face so as not to alarm the children playing off in the distance.

"Alright, you wouldn't willingly take that big of a risk," Ron conceded taking a drink. "But you diligently took Pervalidus potion for your first three."

"Not diligently," Draco muttered.

Ginny gave her husband a pointed look. "What did you say?"

"I wasn't diligent in using it. Used it just enough to keep father off my back," he gave his wife a shy look. "To make certain it works, you have to take it before each act. I wasn't going to sit it by my bedside table on our wedding night or honeymoon." Draco grinned at Ginny. "I forgot it a number of times before Cam was born and I was barely taking it by the time Serpens was conceived." Still smiling, he directed Ginny to look at their four-year-old, "That's likely why he's getting those lovely red highlights in his hair now." He kissed her cheek and confessed, "I wish I'd stood up to Father in the beginning. We make handsome children without it and that is one Malfoy tradition that stops with me."

Ron took Luna's hand. "Let's go swimming with the boys. I may be sick if I have to listen to anymore of that."

Draco nudged Ginny forward on her longue and climbed behind her. He placed his arm around her waist, leaned his head on her shoulder and picked up the parchment to read. "So you don't believe that rubbish?"

"I knew from our first date that I was in no danger from you. You're not a cold blooded murderer, Draco." She turned and gazed at him to ask, "Do you have Malfoy Potions Unlimited researching pario potions?"

"Yes, love, we're trying to make it safe to use."

Ginny growled, "Why didn't you tell me? Is that how you learned about the diet?"

"I didn't tell you because it's likely nothing will come of it for years. But if it did, I wanted to surprise you. The research turned up the diet information which I am very willing to start using," Draco replied then chuckled. "The other day, one of the researchers came upon some Muggle studies that proved that if a woman orgasms she's more likely to conceive a boy. So, if I were a more selfish lover and left you hanging…"

She elbowed him, "That isn't funny, Draco."

"The Muggle studies show that it's true," he continued to tease.

"I seriously doubt that Pansy would let Blaise leave her unfulfilled," she declared eyeing her husband. They both laughed at her pointed observation and once their laugher died down Ginny smiled and said, "You can start the diet, but as far as that other piece of information, I think I'll wait until we have seven or eight boys before we try that."

"Sounds good to me," Draco nibbled her ear and she relaxed into his embrace.

Ginny sighed, "Draco, honey, why didn't you ever tell me about your intermittent use of Pervalidus before?"

"It's always been a touchy subject, love, that I never told you I stopped taking it after we had Serpens."

"Daddy!" Cam shouted, "Snog Mummy later! Play with us now, Please!"

"Brilliant idea, Cammy. You heard your son, Malfoy!" Ron added prodding the boys to start up the beach and collect their father.

"Excuse me, love. It looks like I have to go. Tell the house elves to add two more for dinner tonight. Ron and Luna will be joining our dinner party."

Ginny kissed his smirking lips softly and said, "Least we can do for them, after Luna gave us a heads up on that article."

------------------***************---------------

Ron took a drink of his stout, savoring the delicious dark fruit favors. His brothers had been right about how good it was and Draco, Greg and Vincent weren't bad guys to spend time with. Ron hadn't planned on spending the evening with Ginny; he'd intended to deliver the Skeeter story his father-in-law had Owled him that morning and then leave. But when he learned that Draco's gang of Slytherins was coming for the weekend, he decided that his sister would need someone to talk with and so he stayed.

And it had been a lovely evening so far. The Crabbes had brought their two youngest children, Goyle came with Gary in tow and of course the Malfoy boys were present. When dinnertime came the children went to the kitchen with the house elves and the adults dined on the terrace enjoying the dazzling view of the ocean. They sat around the table with Draco at its head and Padma started the conversation by asking Luna how things were going with baby Sophie. Talk of taking care of infants and raising children monopolized the discussion as was to be expected seeing as both Pansy and Padma were pregnant. What did surprise Ron was how the male Slytherins spoke of their children.

He had always assumed that Slytherins left childcare to their wives until the children where eight or nine. But all these men seemed to know more about infant care then he did himself. Even Blaise, who wasn't a father yet, had stories about caring for Thuban, Cam and Serpens. Ron was glad when dessert was served and the subject changed to the upcoming social season. The conversation about child rearing had made he feel quite low because up to this point in time he had seem himself as a hands-on father. Now he realized that he had done very little compared to the Slytherins.

After dessert the children, freshly bathed and in their pajamas, came outside. They talked their parents into a small fire on the beach and soon each family was sitting on a blanket in front of it. Ron smiled at Thuban and Cam's antics around the fire. They were normal little boys throwing leaves and small sticks into it until Draco threatened to put them to bed if they didn't stop. At some point Thuban had decided his family's blanket was too crowded and he came over to wrestle with Ron. In the last year, Ron had learned that the key to having a wonderful relationship with Thuban was simply to stop disparaging Draco in front of him. While playfully wrestling with his nephew, Ron observed his biggest surprise of the evening: cold hearted Pansy Parkinson, well Zabini now, had little Gary Goyle on her lap in a loving embrace as she reassured him that her love for him wouldn't chance when her baby was born. She even stated he was needed as a big brother to her little girl.

When the clock chimed ten, the parents all agreed that bedtime had been delayed long enough. Draco put out the fire and the wizards climbed the stairs with their children while the rest of the guests followed Ginny into the parlor where she served them evening drinks. Ron stood in the parlor wondering what was to come. In the back of his head he still believed this was all a show and the real Slytherins would soon make their appearance. Then, as if on queue, a child's scream rang throughout the house followed by Draco's angry growl. A smug Ron waited for the monster to show finally himself.

"Bad! Bad! NO!" Leo screamed as he scooted quickly down the stairs to the sound of the loud alarm. Ginny ran up the stairs as Draco hastily made his way down. Ginny got to the toddler first and collected him into her arms. That stopped the alarm to everyone's relief. Leo flailed wildly in her arms so she put him down on the floor where he proceeded to throw himself onto the rug and begin banging his head on the floor. Draco charmed the rug into a soft pillow which infuriated Leo into screaming even more loudly. "No nigh nigh No nigh nigh," the little wizard howled while thrashing his arms and kicking his legs wildly.

"He climbed out of his crib, Ginny. I'll place a confinement charm on it," Draco explained as he bent down to retrieve Leo.

"No," Ginny said as she stopped him. "Let him have his fit."

Draco glanced around the room. "Our guess don't need…," he started to growl.

She took his arm gently in hers to walk him towards the bar. "They're our friends, not merely our guests and they understand."

Draco added an additional charm to make certain Leo couldn't hurt himself and walked over to the bar to pour himself a drink.

"When did he start doing that?" Blaise, who had gone through this tantrum with all of his friends' children, whispered, making sure not to look at Leo.

"Wednesday night, according to Ginny. I'm sick of it already." Draco looked around the room at his other guests. Ginny was distracting Luna and Ron to make sure they didn't pay any attention to Leo while Padma, Vincent, Pansy and Greg were doing the same with Diane. It was nice to have such close friends he thought. Today, it was his child throwing the fit but tomorrow it might be one of theirs. He turned back to Blaise, "Are you and Pansy going to spend the night or go back home?"

Blaise patted Draco's back. "Trying to get rid of us, mate? You did invite us for the weekend."

The blond smirked. "I agree with Ginny and Padma, Blaise. Pansy's carrying the baby lower and she's been making faces a couple times each hour. I've had four, mate. I'm betting you're going to be a Daddy before tomorrow night."

Blaise's expression changed to one of great concern and Draco chuckled, "That's it. You are staying the night. Between all of us, we'll get you and Pansy to St. Mungo's if things do get started. She wants to go to the hospital correct?"

"Yes, she doesn't want a home birth. Her mother had problems."

"It's best for a witch to be where she's most comfortable," Draco told his friend. "Don't worry, everything will be fine. I'm here for you. I wouldn't have made it through Thuban's birth if it wasn't for my parents." He looked back at Leo. The toddler was still crying but had stopped thrashing about. "I have to get that one to bed. I'll be back, mate."

"No nigh nigh! No nigh nigh," Leo continued as his father picked him up. Draco cuddled the boy into his chest.

"Let's go read a nice story, son."

"No nigh nigh!" The toddler kicked his little legs landing two hits just above Draco's belt. The wizard responded by holding the boy closer and putting a firm arm across the boy's legs.

"Owee! Owee! Da dee! No!" Leo cried.

"Stop it." Draco commanded softly.

The babe looked up at the ceiling and called, "Gamfa! Gamfa! Da dee owee!"

Draco closed his eyes. He was losing patience. "Ginevra, a little help ple…"

"Come to Mummy, baby," she said taking the toddler and kissing Draco's cheek.

"No nigh nigh?" Leo asked.

"Yes nigh nigh," she replied and the babe started screaming for his grandfather again. Ginny continued up the stairs, Leo cries silenced by the closing of the nursery door.

Draco picked up his drink. "Let me know when ten minutes passes so I can give Ginny a break."

"Merlin, Malfoy, what's up with Leo? He's always been fine at Mum's," Ron asked.

Draco chuckled, "It's a stage. You'll learn all about it when Sophie between 15 months and two years. Leo, however, is the first one of our children to call for my father. If the little hellion doesn't stop soon, I may just give him to my father."

Crabbe laughed, "That's an empty threat, Draco. You wouldn't want to make Lucius that happy."

"Old Lucius would just blame you for the boy's tantrums," Greg added.

"Lucius seems extremely attached to little Leo," Diane interjected.

Ron grinned. "I knew Lucius was fond of the Weasley red hair for years. Now, we have proof."

"Father always wants what he can't have. Leo's the first Malfoy being raised outside of the manor so it's the first time he hasn't had total access to one of the children." Draco smirked as a very demanding scream came from Leo. "That and I believe they are kindred spirits."

Pansy giggled, "Birds of a feather, I'd say. They don't look alike but they have the same personality. Elizabeth Hooper was very good friends will Lucius' mother and every time Narcissa tells a story about little Leo, Mrs. Hooper offers up one about Lucius as a toddler behaving in the same fashion."

Luna placed her drink on the end table. "That's one thing I can't imagine, Lucius Malfoy as a toddler. I mean no offense, Draco. I would have a hard time picturing Professor Snape or Professor McGonagall as toddlers too."

The groups laughed. "I'd add Argus Filch into that grouping," Greg added.

Padma made a sweet face and tilted her head to one side, "But I could easily see cute little Professors Flitwick, Sprout and Madam Hooch chasing each other through the castle."

"I could see Sibyll Trelawney as a child too," Pansy added.

Diane stepped forward to join the fun, "I could see Hagrid as a toddler. Although, I doubt he was little."

"I saw a picture of him at the age of about nine," Ron stated. "He was at least six feet tall but don't let his size...,"

"He's the kindest man I've ever met," Diane interrupted Ron. She walked over to the redheaded wizard. "I enjoyed his Magical Creatures class."

Draco growled but Ginny came back into the room and cut off any reply he might have made, "Your son is more stubborn and more demanding than your father."

The blond chuckled and handed his wife a glass of wine. "Great idea, we'll blame Father." He clinked his glass against hers, "Better him than me any day," he kissed her cheek. "Do I need to go up?"

"No, he finally realized he wasn't going to win."

"That's good," Pansy affirmed. "Now that the kids are asleep, we can discuss the Skeeter article." She took a deep breath. "That bitch went too far saying that Draco used a new type of Pario to conceive the boys. That's why no one would print it. But she's not going to give up. She'll tone it down and Witch Weekly will snap it up."

"It's a good thing it's summer," Blaise added.

Perplexed, Ron asked, "What does it being summer have to do with the article? Draco would have to defend himself no matter the season."

"We're not worried about Draco, Weasley. He's a big wizard and can take care of himself." Goyle shook his head and continued, "It's the impact the article will have on the boys and Ginny that concern us."

"Damn Marietta for starting all of this!" Ron muttered then leaned against the wall. "I hadn't thought about that."

"Seeing as it's summer, we can keep the boys away from places or people who may say hurtful things to them," Ginny continued. "And you don't need to worry about me. I can handle myself."

Draco raised a brow to Ginny, "You, my love, will have to control your temper. We can't have you bringing your wand out to play."

"Oh, Malfoy, you have to let Gin have a little fun. Maybe you can let her throw a couple of bat-boogeys?" Ron quipped.

"Let her?" Draco was incredulous. "Let her?" He went over to his brother-in-law, grinning and asked, "Ron, are you operating under the misconception that I can control Ginevra? I'd be a fool if I thought I could. And I'd be missing a few important parts of myself if I tried." He paused, "I can merely ask for her compliance."

Ron chuckled and nodded. Malfoy did know his sister very well.

The group spent an hour discussing how to protect the children from the press. Then they spent another hour preparing how best to support Ginny. Ron realized for the first time that these Slytherins weren't just Draco's friends but were his sister's as well. There wasn't a word mentioned about how Draco would or could defend himself against whatever article Skeeter work out. In the end, Ron willingly assigned himself the task of speaking one by one to the Weasley clan. As the hour grew late, Draco thanked his friends for their help and support and most of the group retired to bed.

Draco, however, had decided to take a walk alone and hadn't gone far when he heard Greg calling after him, "I'm sorry, Malfoy, but I need a private word."

"What is it, Greg?"

"I'm sure Lucius is going to show up first thing in the morning after he reads your Owl. So you need to know this now." Greg stood close and whispered, "There may be a Parioeffingo potion. Once, when firewhiskey had softened his judgment, my father talked about experimenting on young witches and impregnating them. I thought he was mental until tonight."

"I'll have Father speak with Snape." He patted Greg's arm in thanks.

"Draco, I… hmm…," Greg paused, "well, the Dark Lord gave young Nott an assignment that had to do with a pario potion the night before the final battle."

------------------***************---------------

Author's notes: Remember that 1 galleon is 5 pounds so Ginny spent £15,000 in one day on clothing mainly. I don't know what it is today but in 2000 the average yearly salary in England was £13,500. So, it's not unreasonable for Draco to question her spending.