Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Love Is For by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Love Is For

d&gforever

The Fall

--------------*************--------------

A number of female Healers-in-training sat in the tearoom, enjoying their afternoon break. The witches couldn't help themselves and listened to the conversation at the next table. Rita Skeeter had written numerous articles about these families, making them out to be oddities. In the last two days the Healers-in-training had learned the opposite. The Malfoy, Goyle and Zabini families had made visiting Padma and supporting the Crabbe family top priority in their lives. The show of friendship, unity and love was deeper than any they had seen to-date at the hospital.

"I want to stay at home and help my Mum. She's coming home Friday but she's still tired from having Kali. Maybe we can do it next weekend?" Victor told Thuban.

"That will work. It's my Mum's birthday next Saturday. Dad always takes her somewhere special. It will be easier to talk my grandparents into it."

"There is a Ball next Saturday. You'll have a sitter", Victor said.

Thuban smiled broadly. "Nope, we'll be going to the Burrow. And that's better. We can camp in the field. I bet I can get my Uncles Fred and George to stay with us. They're a right laugh, you know."

"They're the bestest", Serpens interjected excitedly as he kicked his chair. "Grandma lets us help make biscuits. She's great at making sweets. We'll have lots of them."

"Can I go camping at the Burrow too?" Kenny asked in a loud voice.

Thuban put his finger to his lip. "Inside voice, Kenny. If we're too loud, my mum will take us home and you want to stay here and visit with your mum." He turned to his brother. "Same with you, and stop kicking your chair, Serpens. If Mum and Aunt Pansy hear, we'll be back at Black Hall."

The dark haired four-year-old nodded. "I want to visit Mummy and play trains with Serpens in her room."

Serpens stopped moving. "Sorry. I want to stay. Me and Kenny play quiet in Aunt Padma's room."

Thuban pointed at the counter where Pansy and Ginny stood ordering refreshments. "It doesn't look like they heard, so just keep it down." He turned back to Victor. "What do you think about making it a big group? We can have Greggy, Gary and Gabe. You remember my cousin Gabe, right?"

"I like Gabe", the other boys whispered.

"Grandma loves lots of kids. I'm sure it will be all right with her but…" Thuban frowned.

"What?" Victor asked.

"I'll have to invite Potter. Grandma will make me. She's always trying to get us to be friends. He's over at Gabe's all the time."

"Sirius is O.K. He helps me fly", Serpens stated.

"That's only because he's not a very good flier himself. I help you fly all the time", Thuban rebuffed.

"Only 'cause Mummy and Daddy make you." Serpens stuck out his tongue.

Thuban rolled his eyes and looked at his friend. "Little brothers are pains. We can invite Potter as an added birthday present for my mum too. She likes it when we include him."

"Mums are always trying to make you be friends with everyone. Potter was O.K. at the Beach Party. It's just tiring explaining games to him", Victor said with a sigh.

"Sirius is good at Quidditch now. Do you think Grandma will let us bring our brooms?" Serpens asked quietly.

"What's this about Quidditch, brooms and your Grandma?" Ginny asked as she and Pansy placed trays filled with tea, pumpkin juice and pastries on the table.

"We're going to have a camp out at the Burrow. We're inviting Uncle Fred, Uncle George, Greggy, Gary, Victor, Kenny, Gabe and even Sirius Potter. You like us to include Sirius so that's one of our presents for your birthday. We'll have a great time", Serpens answered.

"That is if it's all right with Grandma and Grandpa. We're spending the night at the Burrow next Saturday, right?" Thuban questioned.

Ginny smirked. "I haven't been informed of any plans for next Saturday."

Thuban shook his head. "Don't be silly, Mum. Dad always takes you someplace special for your birthday. I'll talk to Dad about it, then to Grandma."

"I don't know if your Grandma can handle watching twelve mischievous wizards", Ginny replied.

"There will only be ten of us. Well, eleven because Preston is still living there. Grandma likes to have lots of people around and Uncle Fred and George will help her." Thuban nodded at his mother.

Pansy giggled. "Fred and George help?"

"They will be a handful by themselves." Ginny giggled back. "But Thuban's right, Mum will love the idea. It's been ages since she had a house full of wizards."

--------------*************--------------

"Ms. Caster", Thuban whispered to the witch at the desk outside of Padma's room. "Do you know anything about people who sneeze and cry when they are around cats?"

"I know some about cat allergies. It's very uncommon in the wizarding world."

"Allergic, that's what Mum called it. It makes sense too, because Malfoys aren't common. Serpens gets looking all sick anytime we go to Mrs. Potter's house. Mum says it's because of Crookshanks." He smirked and whispered in her ear. "Dad says maybe he's allergic to Muggleborns." Thuban backed up and smiled. "Well, my mum really likes cats. I've been looking around at different types and found one called Sphynx. They say people who sneeze around cats don't sneeze around these because they're hairless. How do I know if that's true?"

Nancy beamed at the little wizard. "If your brother can be around these cats for an hour without a reaction, then he's not allergic."

"Thank you. I'll have to get Dad's help. I hope Serpens isn't allergic. Mum's always wanted a cat but Grandfather didn't like pets in the Manor. But we have a dog now that we live at Black Hall. I think it's time Mum got her cat." He started back for the room but stopped. "My Dad's coming soon to pick us up. Will you make sure my Aunt Pansy has fresh nappies for Kali and fresh water in her pitcher too before we leave?"

"Of course, Thuban." She turned and collected a new pitcher. As she walked down to the sink, the seven-year-old went with her.

"We're really happy that Aunt Padma has you to look after her. You're helpful, nice and smart. It was wonderful of you to get my mum tea and gingersnaps this morning. She's growing a new baby. We shouldn't have come by Floo. It makes her sick lately. Aunt Pansy said Flooing and Portkeying always make her sick for the first couple of months. That's why my Dad's coming. We'll need to drive places for a time."

Nancy smiled at the boy. "I was happy to help your mum." They started back down the hall stopping at a cupboard to collect some clean nappies. "Your aunt is easy to look after. I've enjoyed doing it."

As the two got to the desk, Ginny and Serpens walked quietly out of Padma's room. "Mrs. Crabbe is resting," Ginny stated to Ms. Caster.

"Daddy!" Serpens yelled and ran down the hallway.

The blond wizard put a finger to his lips. The four-year-old stopped yelling and slowed his pace. Serpens jumped into Draco's arms as soon as he was close enough. With his third son on his right hip, his youngest on his left and his second born walking next to him, Draco continued down the hall. He kissed Ginny's cheek hello when he reached her.

Cam walked over to the desk. The six-year-old placed two boxes of Honeydukes' finest chocolate on it. "Healer Caster, these are for you and Ms. Smith and Ms. Walser 'cause you take good care of Aunt Padma and baby Kali."

"That is very sweet of you, Cam. Thank you", Nancy replied.

"It's from all of us", he said, glancing at his family.

Draco handed Leo to his wife, placed Serpens on his feet and turned to Padma's door. "I'll say hello to Padma and be back."

Ginny placed her arm around his waist holding him in place. "She's resting."

"All right then, are you ready to head home?" She nodded. Draco slightly bowed and asked gracefully. "Would you do me the honor of allowing me to escort you there safely?"

"Daddy, we're going shopping and Mummy can't come with us", Cam announced. "Why can't she Apparate home?"

"Cygnus", Draco firmly said. "A gentleman always escorts his lady home."

The little wizard frowned. "Sorry. It won't be too bad. It's fun riding in the new car."

"You didn't bring that overpriced useless toy", Ginny hissed, "There isn't room in it for this lot."

Nancy glanced out the window to the Muggle street below, looking for the 2007 silver Rolls Royce Phantom drophead coupe. Her father, a Muggleborn, was an automobile enthusiast and this new model had been one of his favorites. It cost over 85,000 Galleons, so Mr. Caster could only dream of the vehicle. Nancy mistakenly let her father's desire for the auto slip in front of Ginny Malfoy and was delighted the next day when Draco took her father for a ride.

"I'll never understand why you bought that thing. You don't even like Muggle items", Ginny continued.

"With the top drop, it feels like you're flying, Mummy", Cam said with a toothy grin.

"It goes really fast. I like it too", Serpens added.

Ginny put her hands on her hips. "The Ministry doesn't allow charming the seats in it, because it's a drophead. Really, Draco, you should have thought about it. How are we going to get home?"

Draco smirked. "We'll fit in the car. Thuban and Cam wouldn't mind riding in the boot."

Cam whispered into his brother's ear and both boys giggled into their hands.

"Why don't you just strap Leo's and Serpens' seats to the front of the car?" Ginny hissed, not seeing the humor in his joke.

"Great idea, Love. However, I think the boot cover would be safer", he said in jest.

Ginny folded her arms and tried to pull away. He wouldn't allow it. "Gin, you know I purchased that car mainly for you and me. We're not allowed to fly down the coastline, so the drophead is the closest we can come. You enjoyed that drive, didn't you?" He then whispered in her ear. "I know you enjoyed parking at the beach. One of the top ten snogs of my life."

The redheaded witch sheepishly grinned for a moment but then her face went firm. "You're not unsafely transporting my children", she firmly stated, eyeing him sinisterly. "You should have gotten a family car, not that toy."

"Family cars don't come in drophead." He kissed her cheek. "You would think after eight years of marriage you would have lost your Weasley practical way of thinking." He directed his family down the hall. "You know, Mrs. Malfoy, if you don't stop frowning I'll be forced to take action."

"Like what?" she asked.

He learned her up against a wall and softly caressed her face.

"You're kissable and cuddly; you're lovable and sweet;

You thrill me every minute, and sweep me off my feet.

You're charming and disarming, desirable and true.

You inspire and impress me, and that's why I love you!" Draco gently kissed her lips. "That's my girl," he said after the kiss. "I have safe transportation arranged. We're not driving my car." He leaned in and kissed her softly.

"Stop it, Malfoy. You're making the rest of us wizards look bad", Greg Goyle patted his friend's back as he walked by. He stopped and greeted the rest of the Malfoy family.

"Padma's resting, Greg," Ginny informed him.

Vincent Crabbe turned the corner. "Did you say Padma was resting, Ginny?"

"Hello, Vince. Yes, she will likely sleep for an hour. Padma's doing very well. She's merely tired because your children and some of mine have been visiting all morning", Ginny explained. "Pansy only left moments ago with your older ones. They're at her place now."

Crabbe nodded and turned to Greg. "Why don't we go for a bite?" The friends said goodbye to the Malfoys, each group going their different ways, the Malfoys outside and Crabbe to the desk to inform Padma's caregivers where he was going and to notify his wife if she should wake.

The fair-haired witch, Nancy Caster looked out the window, waiting for the Malfoy family to reappear. When they did, the couple was holding each other around the waist. Their connection was only broken when Draco opened the door to a Mercedes-Benz red SUV. Ginny hugged him before he lovingly placed their children into the vehicle. Apparently he had just purchased a family car for his wife.

The feel of a hand on her back startled Nancy, she turned and saw Jamie Smith behind her looking out the window too. "I would think all that hugging and kissing was a show, if it wasn't for Mrs. Malfoy's little fit. Did you see what he did to her in the hallway?" The young mediwitch looked dreamy eyed at her fair-haired friend. "I've never had a poem read to me in my life, and he did it just so she would smile."

"She was mad at him for buying his sports car. And he was teasing her about making the older boys ride in the boot of his car," Nancy added.

"Merlin, he has more money than they could ever spend. Plus anyone could tell he was joking about the boot", Jamie argued.

"She wasn't really mad."

Jamie laughed. "You know, Rita Skeeter doesn't know what she is talking about. They're in love." A noise behind them stopped their conversion. They turned to see Vincent Crabbe quietly enter his wife's room. Jamie whispered. "Skeeter was wrong about the Crabbes too. That wizard loves her."

Nancy opened a box of the chocolates and offered one to Jamie. "She was wrong about a number of things and so was I. I've never dealt so closely with Slytherins. All the wizards are loving husbands and fathers. I'm going to take Mr. Crabbe's job offer and help care for his wife and new daughter for the first week they are home. What about you?"

"I could use the extra money and he is nothing like I remember from school," Jamie answered as she chewed on a chocolate.

--------------*************--------------

"I've already talked with my Grandpa. We're putting up two tents in the field next to the Burrow. Grandma promised to make lots of biscuits. My uncles are bringing their best fireworks; it's going to be a great time. You're coming aren't you?" Thuban asked as the boys sat in the Quidditch stands.

Greg wiped a tear from his eye as he looked around the area for any signs of his mother. She used to forget to pick him up a lot, but he thought that was all over. "My dad said that I could go. It sounds like fun, but are your grandparents really nice? I've never been to a Gryffindor's home."

Thuban and Cam laughed. "Our mum's a Gryffindor and so is yours."

"Well that's the thing isn't it? Not your mum, but mine. She's a Gryffindor and she can't be trusted." The little wizard wiped away another tear.

"Mmmm…." Thuban stammered. "Grandpa and Grandma Weasley are as trustworthy and nice as Grandfather and Grandmother Malfoy. They're just different."

Cam smiled. "It's great at the Burrow. We can be louder, run freer, get messier and stay up later. They aren't as strict. Grandma loves having boys around and noise doesn't bother her."

A loud Apparition pop drew the boys' attention. Lavender ran to her oldest son and hugged him. "I'm so sorry I'm late, Baby. I was held up at the Healer's office. I promise it won't happen again. Mummy knows better now." She turned to Blaise, who was waiting in the stands with the boys. "Thanks for staying with him, Blaise."

He stood and guided the witch away from the boys. "I'll be informing Goyle about this. Damn it, Lavender. If you can't get here on time, just Floo me."

"Blaise", she sighed. "Talk to Pansy when you get home. I did Floo. Shite, my appointment was at two o'clock. I didn't have to be here until four." She tried to remain calm. "Tell Greg I was ten minutes late. It's not like I was going to try to hide it from him. I'm not used to being timely to anything, but I know I have to be for my children." She looked over at her son. "Do you think I like seeing that look on his face?" Her eyes filled with tears. "This mistake is going to cost me. When I get Greggy home, he'll tell his brother I was late. Then they will both lose their new found trust in me and ask to go to their father's house." She paused for a moment. "Merlin, I want to be a good mother. I seem to screw up no matter how hard I try not to." Lavender walked away, collected Greggy and Disapparated.

"Uncle Blaise, may we go to your house? It's been ages since we played with you. We'll be quiet around Rosette. Please?" Cam pleaded as Thuban looked on hopefully.

"Oh, so I'm good enough to hang out with now?" Blaise teased.

Cam smirked. "You've always been good enough. We've just been really busy."

"We can do whatever you want." Thuban closed his right eye as he always did when he thought. "Within reason, that is. We don't want to sit around and cuddle Aunt Pansy and Rosetta."

Cam held his nose. "And we don't change nappies."

"I can rock Rosetta. And I can give her a bottle." Thuban informed his godfather. "I used to feed Leo when Mummy wasn't around. Dad and Grandfather let me." The little wizard paused. "But we were really hoping to go flying with you or play other fun games."

"Maybe we can Floo Uncle Miles and we can play wizards and dragons", Cam said with a large grin.

--------------*************--------------

Nancy sat out on the patio with Padma Crabbe, watching Kenny and Patty play. She and her friends Jamie Smith and Kristy Walser had each been working eight hours a day for the Crabbe family the last week, providing Padma and baby Kali twenty-four hour care. This would be her last day. Once Vincent returned from collecting Victor from Quidditch practice, she'd collect her final pay and leave. The fair-haired witch couldn't believe how much she would miss this family. It wasn't because this had been the easiest job she had ever had. She enjoyed being part of their lives in some way everyday.

Everything she had ever thought about Slytherins was proven wrong in the last weeks. Dark magic was not practiced behind the walls of their homes, nor were they cold, loveless prisons that raised cold-hearted children. These were loving people. Nancy had first thought that Padma and Ginny had caused this group of Slytherins to change. However, this opinion was altered after a couple of Skeeter's articles were printed.

The recent writings reopened the wounds of the last war. While the wizarding world may still be split on many topics, the idea of torturing and killing Muggles and Muggleborns didn't sit well with most. To many wizards being a Slytherin meant that you supported these actions. The correlation between Slytherins, Death Eaters and the Dark Lord would forever shadow this group. The only way they could retain some type of privacy was to appear cold and callous to most of the wizarding world. An exception to this was Lucius Malfoy.

The head of the Malfoy family had come to the hospital and the Crabbe home a number of times. It appeared that he had taken a fathering role in Vincent Crabbe's life. The Healer-in-training had learned a great deal about one of the most feared wizards in England. He enjoyed being feared by strangers. Enjoyed wasn't really the right word. Lucius felt it necessary people feared him for the safety of his family. How many common thieves and con men would try to get their hands on the Malfoy galleons by kidnapping family members if Lucius wasn't feared? The wizard's persona of a heartless, cruel killer had been carefully sculpted for years in order to keep his family safe. The choice to be hated by most in order to safeguard one's family was a deep act of love.

"Mum! Mum!" Victor bellowed as he walked out onto the patio. The seven-year-old's voice pulled Nancy from her thoughts. "May I please spend the night at Uncle Greg's? Greggy really needs a friend tonight."

"Sweetheart", Padma replied after kissing the boy hello. "Greggy is spending the evening with his mother."

The boy's face saddened as he shook his head. "Aunt Lavender forgot him at practice. He doesn't want to stay with her tonight. I'm sure he'll be at his dad's by now. He was really sad. Thuban and Cam were trying to cheer him up but it wasn't working. He needs a friend tonight, Mum. May I please go over?"

"We'll see. Go play for now."

The boy nodded and joined his siblings in the yard. Padma turned to her husband. She rolled her eyes briefly when she saw their still sleeping newborn daughter in his arms. Vince paid no attention to her look and started to speak. "Blaise stayed and waited with Greggy for Lavender. She was five minutes late when we left. He was going to give her fifteen minutes, then take Greggy with him. The little guy was pretty upset." Crabbe sat down and sorrow lined his face. "I thought Lavender had changed. I wanted to scoop up Greggy and bring him with us. A child shouldn't have to go through that, feeling so unwanted and unloved. I'll Floo Greg in half an hour and see what's going on." He looked down at his daughter and smiled.

"If the boys are with Greg, Victor can go over. Lavender has spent hours talking with Pavarti about the boys. I really do think she's trying. Sometimes you can't help being late," Padma stated, wanting to defend her sister's long time friend, while the mother in her wanted to strangle the wench. The dark-haired witch softened her expression and kissed her husband's cheek. "You're going to spoil her. She was fine sleeping in her basket."

Vincent grinned. "She sleeps better in her daddy's arms."

"I'm sure that's true. And I'll remind you of that when she is fussing at three in the morning," Padma grinned back.

Crabbe turned to Nancy, moved Kali to one arm and then handed the witch a small sack of galleons. "Are you sure you don't want to work for another week?"

Nancy smiled at him. "I've enjoyed working for you, Mr. Crabbe. But as I told you a few days ago, your wife and daughter are fine. They don't need to be under Healers' or mediwitches' care. Your mother and hers drop by often, giving her all the help she needs. I understand your worry, but I assure you your wife is fine."

"You're sure?" Vincent asked returning her smile.

"I'm positive your wife is in excellent health. And I wouldn't feel right taking anymore of your money for visiting with your lovely family."

The baby in Vincent's arm started to fuss. He patted her nappy. "She needs a change and I'm sure she's hungry. I'll change her then bring her back to you." He walked into the parlor and quickly changed his daughter.

--------------*************--------------

Molly and Narcissa accosted Draco as soon as he Apparated into the foyer of Black Hall. His mother swatted him with the morning Daily Prophet.

"What were you thinking? How could you do this?" the blonde witch spat, infuriated with her only child.

The Weasley matriarch hissed, "I thought I could trust you… You… You…"

"Cad!" Narcissa sneered. "You will end it and pray that Ginevra will keep you."

Ginny come down the stairs. "What's the problem, Mum, Narcissa?"

"Nothing", Molly replied, hiding the paper behind her back.

"Ginevra, you shouldn't be out of bed!" Draco stated worriedly.

The young red head used a non-verbal Summoning Charm and the paper flew into her hands. Anger crossed her face for a brief moment before she smirked. Ginny handed the paper back to her mother displaying the picture of Draco passionately kissing a blonde woman. The young mother then kissed her husband's cheek. "It's not Draco. His left eye twitches when he kisses. See?" She turned to her husband and kissed him passionately. After only a few moments his left eye started to flutter slightly. Both older witches sighed and the couple stopped kissing. "Mum. Narcissa. Look closely at that man's ring finger and his clothing. The robes aren't tailored and that's not his ring. Also on the date of that photograph, we were in the Cayman Islands." She paused and looked into Draco's eyes. "You've been a good boy, haven't you, Sweetheart?"

He kissed each of her cheeks. "Yes. I need and want no other. You know that, Ginny."

"Of course I know," she smiled. "However, it's nice to hear and I believe our mothers needed to hear it."

Draco placed his lips to her forehead. "You are warm."

"I'm not warm," she growled.

Narcissa stared at the photograph. "Those robes do look worn. Someone trying to collect money, I would guess."

"Our company lawyers have an investigator looking for that witch. We should know the truth within a week. I've just returned from their offices. They will be handling this whole article matter."

"There is more than the photograph?" Ginny reached for the paper.

"Ginny, Rita Skeeter said some very nasty things about me and Vincent. I don't think you need to get upset. It's not good for you in your present condition. Don't you think you should get back to bed?" Draco stated.

She rolled her eyes. "I'm only pregnant, Draco. We need to talk. Let's go to my parlor."

He wrapped his arm around her on their way to her private room. They sat on the settee and he wasted no time to cuddle up to his lovely witch. "I love you, Ginny."

"You're as bad as your sons. You knowingly do something that upsets me then think I can be swayed by your pleading eyes and 'I love you's." She glared at him.

"I have no idea what you are speaking of, my love," Draco replied.

"I don't need both your mother and mine here in the mornings. I had it all set up, and then you go and change it."

He kissed her cheek. "Ginny, you have a cold."

"I sneezed."

"Serpens has just recovered from a cold. You have caught it. I merely thought with Thuban and Cam always wanting to go to the guest house play area and Serpens and Leo wanting to play at the one next to the house, it would be best. They can also Floo the Healer if your cold gets worse." He batted his eyes at her. "I love you."

"I don't have a cold. And I don't need both of them. Plus I don't need to be saved from the press. It's best for me to know what's going on." Ginny opened the morning paper. She eyes went to the statements about Draco being a womanizer and implying that he was forcing unwilling Muggleborns and Muggles into testing new potions. "Merlin", she said with great worry. "Where's your father? This article may push him over the edge. Don't let him do something stupid, Draco."

--------------*************--------------

Lucius barged into the office of Mr. Westfalt, the chief counsel for the law firm that handled all the Malfoy legal matters. He threw a collection of Daily Prophet articles on the desk. "Stop this now! I do not care how you do it, just get it done."

"We're already working on it, Mr. Malfoy. That last article was to be printed in the evening Prophet and Witch Weekly also. We have sent the legal documents to stopped the printing. Your son also had us file claims against Ms. Skeeter and the Prophet on behalf of Mrs. Padma Crabbe. Her Healer believes that Ms. Skeeter's writings caused her undue stress, which lead to her problematic and early delivery."

"Draco has contacted you already?" Lucius inquired.

Mr. Westfalt nodded. "Yes, Sir. He Flooed me at home last night. His connections at the Prophet informed him of today's article. If the Ministry didn't move so slowly, we would have stopped it."

Lucius bowed his head. "Very good then." The blond wizard turned and left the room. Before his feet hit the stairs, he Disapparated. He reappeared at the entrance to Diagon Alley, thoughts racing through his mind. Rita Skeeter had been attacking his family in the press for the last two months. He sneered as two older witches stared and gossiped about them.

Today's story had been the worst. The wench implied that Malfoy Potion Unlimited was testing their new version of Pario potions on unwilling witches and Muggles. Claiming one of the many Malfoy companies was involved in wrong doing was nothing new, but this time his family was attacked. Skeeter stated that Draco and Vincent tricked Padma into taking the potion and that was the reason for the witch's near death in delivery. The reporter went on to say that Draco was paying a number of young witches to take the potions. Many of which the younger Malfoy was known to be having sexual relationships with. Somehow she had created a picture that showed Draco kissing one of these witches outside a hotel room.

The wizard knew his son was not guilty of infidelity or the other charges. However he wondered how Ginevra would react to this. It was not a good time for the young witch to be asked to handle additional stress. Her health could be endangered along with the health of his unborn grandchild. The Prophet could not be hidden from her. What if their Attorneys could not stop Skeeter? He wondered. They couldn't take that chance.

Lucius quickened his pace. He turned down Knockturn Alley and entered the dinky old building to his right. He placed a sack of galleons in front of Mihailov. The dark wizard sneered. "Vhat took you so long? I've been vaiting."

"Father", Draco calmly stated from a dark corner of the room as he walked toward Lucius. "This is not the way. Let our lawyers handle it."

Lucius turned to face his son. His face displayed great worry and his voice broke when he spoke. "Ginevra does not need the strain which Skeeter's continuing stories create. I will not take chances where my family is concerned. That reporter will be stopped now."

Draco smiled briefly then collected the money bag from the table. "You will do nothing, Mihailov!" he ordered.

"Draco!" Lucius complained.

"Father", he smirked. "Father, it will cause Ginny more distress if you are sent to Azkaban. The Ministry will certainly look at you and myself if Skeeter turns up dead or missing. Ginny has already seen the article and the photo. She knows it's false."

The older blond wizard stood his ground. "Skeeter will not stop. She will find someone to print her lies. Ginevra doesn't need…"

"Ginny knows all about Skeeter. So do her family and friends. She is more concerned about what you and I will do to Skeeter. I assured her that neither you nor I would break any law in order to stop Skeeter. That witch has gone too far this time. No one will be willing to print any of her writings after our lawyers are through with her." Draco put his hand on Lucius' back to get him moving. "Do not disappoint Ginny, Father. Come with me now. Mother is waiting at Black Hall along with my family. Leo is looking forward to building a number of castles in the sand with you at the beach house."

Lucius' face softened quickly so only Draco could see before it became stone again. "I will let it rest for now. We will give the lawyers their chance."

The wizards left the building. "Mandy has rearranged your meetings for today. I think it would be best if you spent time with your wife and grandsons", Draco advised.

"According to your mother, Ginevra is ill." Lucius stated.

"Ginny caught Serpens' cold. It would be good for you and Mother to take the boys to the beach house. Then I can stay home and take care of Ginny. She does not rest like she should when the boys are at home."

"Your mother was the same with you. I shall take the boys to the Beach house so Ginevra can rest." Lucius confirmed. "Make sure you take care of her, Son."

"I plan on it, Father." Draco and Lucius continued down the street towards their office building.

The brown haired wizard that had been following Lucius since he had started down Knockturn Alley stopped following the pair and Disapparated. He reappeared in the lobby of the Ministry; quickly he made his way to the Department of Magical Law enforcement. James Bradley put his feet on his desk and watched the other Aurors enter for the day. "Hey, Weasley", he called as Ron walked by.

"What is it, Bradley?"

"I almost got old Lucius. He had ordered a hit on Rita Skeeter. But his damned son stopped him."

Ron sighed, "She attacked the old Death Eater's business. How the hell did Draco get him to call it off?"

"He used your sister", James replied.

"My sister?" Ron said with disbelief.

James sat up, giving Ron a serious look. "Yep, it seems Lucius was ordering the hit to protect your sister. Is she pregnant with another one of the ferret's offspring?" Ron sneered and nodded. "Well that makes sense with what happened to Padma Crabbe. Anyway, I was shocked. Little Ginny Weasley caused the big bad Lucius Malfoy to order a hit and then call it off." James took a drink of his coffee. "What's this world coming to?"

"He wasn't worried about Ginny. He only cares about the child she is carrying," Ron huffed.

"Believe what you want, Weasley! I was there. For some reason that old wizard cares about your sister."

--------------*************--------------

"Miss Nelson", Gawain Robards, chief Warlock of the Wizengamot questioned. "You were the witch pictured in the Daily Prophet stating that you were the mistress of Draco Malfoy?"

"Yes, Sir. That was me," the blonde witch said with a shaky voice. "But I never told anyone I was Mr. Malfoy's mistress. I've only seen him a couple of times with his wife at the nightclub I work at."

"Then how do you explain the photograph?" an older member of the Wizengamot inquired.

The blonde froze in her chair. "Miss Nelson", Gawain started. "As we discussed before you will be free from any charges for your testimony."

"That was a photograph of my ex-boyfriend under Polyjuice sirs and madams. It was a game he liked to play. We never meant to impersonate anyone for money. It was for fun. He had a number of photographs with him kissing me as other wizards." She paused. "He took them when he walked out on me last year."

"What is the name of this wizard?" a younger witch asked.

"David Peterson. Last I heard, he was in Azkaban," Miss Nelson replied.

Robards looked down at his records. "Yes, yes. I see here. David Peterson was been in Azkaban for theft for the last three months. He stated that his collections of photographs were traded to repay a gambling debt. He can not remember who the wizard was."

"Miss Nelson, have you ever been interviewed by Miss Rita Skeeter?" Susan Bones, junior member of the Wizengamot queried.

"No, miss. I have not. I have never spoken with that reporter, or any reporter. I never mislead anyone into believing I was in, or had a relationship with Mr. Malfoy."

"Thank you, Miss Nelson. You may go." The young witch was lead out of the room by a wizard in dark blue robes. Moments later the same wizard walked Rita Skeeter over to the chair.

Rita glanced around the room. The courtroom had dark stone walls dimly lit by torches. She sat in the chair in the center, which did not contain its normal chains. The fifty court members sat above, overlooking the chair in the judge's balcony. The fifty-six year old witch had been in this room a number of times. However, the view was different from her current seat.

"Miss Skeeter, you have to give us the names of your resources", Robards ordered.

Her eyes went to Robards. "I can't do that, sir. I'll never get anyone to relay information to me again if I turn them in."

Susan Bones scoffed. "Isn't that convenient." She paused. "Well, Miss Skeeter, according to our research a number of the details in your recent articles has been proven false." Susan turned to the other members of the Wizengamot. "It is the duty of every reporter to use due diligence in verifying the facts and truthfulness of their informants. Without knowing who these people are, we can't confirm Miss Skeeter's claims of illegal actions on the part of Malfoy Potions Unlimited."

Amos Diggory looked down. "Miss Skeeter, your sources will be free from prosecution for their help. If Pario potion is being tested on Muggles and Muggleborns we need it stopped and the guilty parties imprisoned."

"I can't," Rita repeated as sweat ran off of her brow. "They are employees of the Ministry and will lose their jobs for informing on their Heads of Department."

Robards huffed. "Miss Skeeter, if department officials inside the Ministry are involved in wrong doing, it makes our need to speak with your sources imperative."

"I promised them. I can't," Skeeter replied.

"I'm sorry then Miss Skeeter, but you leave us no choice." Gawain Robards wrote on a piece of parchment. "Miss Skeeter, because proof can't be provided that establishes your claims, this court finds you guilty of libel. You have defamed many members of the wizarding community and caused undue distrust in the governing body of Great Britain. Because of the broad scope of your accusations and the magnitude of their negative impact on society, you are hereby banned from having any of your work published in Britain. This sentence will be removed if you surrender your resources, or your statements are proven truthful."

--------------*************--------------

Nancy Caster, Jamie Smith and Kristy Walser sat outside a small café in Diagon Alley. Jamie was looking at The Daily Prophet while Nancy was reading Witch Weekly.

"I'm so glad your sister is on staff at Witch Weekly, Kristy," Nancy said.

Kristy smiled. "Witch Weekly is glad about it too. This is the highest sale of any issue. With all the information they collected from us and other staff at St. Mungos, it was easy to prove Rita's articles to be false."

"Your sister did a great job with her investigation too. She located the researcher who confirmed that Pario hasn't left China. It's interesting what they are doing over there. Can you imagine being able to prevent birth defects? Merlin, they started a project to make the gender selection potion safe and they ended up creating a potion that will prevent Marfan syndrome and Cystic fibrosis", Jamie added.

"That potion will be in trials for two years but it will be a miracle for many families", Nancy affirmed.

Kristy shook her head in astonishment. "The whole story is amazing. Lucius Malfoy decided to start a potions company, so his new grandson would have a business to run one day. Then Draco starts research on Pario because his wife wants a daughter. The result is a company that will lead us in the area of medical potion creation for years to come. They're close to a dragon pox vaccine too."

"When I finish my Healer's training, I might look into working for Malfoy Potions Unlimited." Nancy stated before taking a drink of her tea. "What about that photograph of Draco Malfoy with that bint? There is no way he's having an affair."

"Polyjuice, according to Tina's insiders at the Ministry." Kristy took a bit of a biscuit. "There could have been a number of other tricks used too. Besides, the Malfoys were celebrating their eighth wedding anniversary on the Cayman Islands when Skeeter stated that photograph was taken. What does the Prophet have to say about all of this?"

"There is a small retraction on page four. A story on page six says that Rita Skeeter is banned from being published in Great Britain. The Prophet received over one hundred letters showing support for the Crabbe family. There is an outstanding letter to the editor detailing other lies that Rita Skeeter has printed over the years. And lastly there's a small story on page eleven about Skeeter and the Prophet settling the suit with the Crabbe family," Jamie relied to her friends.

"It seems to have all ended well. I never thought I'd stick up for a bunch of Slytherins, but what Skeeter was doing was wrong," Nancy stated. "Thank Merlin that witch has been stopped."

--------------*************--------------

"Draco", Ginny whimpered as her husband came out of his dressing room ready for a day at the office. She didn't need to say anything else. He knew what she wanted, so he slipped off his boots, got under the covers, and cuddled up next to his wife.

"I'm sorry, honey", she whispered. "It's the hormones. They make me so needy."

He smiled and kissed her forehead. "I'm glad they do. Gives me a good reason for a lie in. One that Father doesn't complain about. Love you, Gin."

"I love you, too", she replied.

"Sweetheart, tell me again", Ginny whimpered.

The blond wizard caressed his wife. "I want, need, and have been with no other. You are my world, my love and my life."

She softly kissed his lips. "Sorry, I trust you and… Merlin, Draco. I hate this part of pregnancy."

He pulled her closer and smirked. "I love this part, the cuddling part. You are wonderful, baby. I don't know how I'd react if I saw a photo of you kissing another wizard." Draco kissed her. "Of course I'd believe you. But it does ask a great deal of trust of one."

"Trust and the fact…" Ginny giggled. "You don't have enough time to have an affair." She bucked her hips into his. "Or the energy. I keep you busy."

"Ginny", he softly growled. "Are you sure you want to start that?"

"Yes", she seductively whispered.

"Me, climb out", Leo screamed running into the room from the door that connected to the nursery. The toddler jumped onto his parents' bed and crawled on top of the embracing couple.

Draco didn't release his hold on his wife. "Morning, mate. Cuddle up behind Mummy, please. She needs hugs this morning."

"Hug Mummy", the boy nodded as he scooted up behind his mother, placing his arm on her shoulder.

"I think it's time for the cot with side rails. He's going to hurt himself if he keeps climbing out of the crib", Ginny whispered not liking the idea of a child so young in a bed. Maybe it was a good thing. Leo wouldn't be thinking of the crib as his when the new baby came. "I still want him in the nursery until after Christmas."

"Agreed. Do you want a new cot or the one from the Manor? I'm sure Mother won't mind."

Ginny giggled. "Your mother would be upset if we didn't use that cot. We'll need new bedding for it."

"I'm sure Mother will love to go shopping with you today. I'll take Thuban and Cam to the office with me this morning."

She kissed him. "That would be very helpful. We can meet for tea around two?"

"Plan on doing a lot of shopping?" he chuckled.

"Mostly window shopping, but I do need a naming gift for Kali."

The light on Draco's bed side table flickered announcing the arrival of guests in Black Hall. Leo crawled off the bed and run out of the room. "Gamfa… Gamfa… Gamfa…"

As the toddler left the room, the door magically closed and locked behind him. The boy didn't care or notice and continued to the top of the stairs, where Lucius collected him into his arms.

"Good morning, Leo. How are you?"

"Fine… Gamfa", the babe replied.

"Where's your daddy?"

Leo hugged his grandfather. "Hug Mummy."

The older wizard grinned. "We'll leave them to it then. Let's go have breakfast with your grandmother and brothers."

--------------*************--------------

Rita sat in the old, dusty hotel room. An old wizard opened the door. "You need to get to work now", he ordered. "I don't care who you used to be. These rooms aren't going to clean themselves."

The witch nodded and started waving her wand. She wasn't the best at cleaning charms, but she had no other options right now. Skeeter had lost everything. Most of her Galleons had gone to her attorneys and fines to the Ministry. The Crabbes only got a small portion. The ex-reporter planned on working in this dunk place until she had enough money to leave England for greener pastures. She was sure that a newspaper in Africa or South America would employ her if she could just get to either continent.

--------------*************--------------

* Poem By Ara John Movsesian