Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Love Is For by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Love Is For

d&gforever

Standing by Your Friends

--------------*************--------------

Thuban quickly headed for the work clothing as soon as Lucius Apparated them into the Black Hall stables. Lucius was far more upset with Thuban's actions than Draco himself had been. The young wizard quickly put on the coveralls and rubber work boots. Cleaning the stables was an awful task, and Thuban hoped he could do it without complaint today.

Lucius leaned against a stable wall and looked around at the building. "Forgery! And you thought I would support your actions!?"

"No, Sir. I knew you would disapprove of copying Dad's signature. I just needed time for you to get home," Thuban stated. "I thought you'd be able to talk Dad into letting me play on Mr. Keitch's team. I'm the youngest to be asked. You're proud of me for being a good Quidditch player and getting to play on a real team, aren't you, Grandfather?"

"You are an outstanding Quidditch player, Thuban. I am very proud of you for many reasons. However, your act of counterfeiting has overshadowed your accomplishments. I do not agree with your parents' decision to allow you to play Quidditch this season." Lucius conjured two chairs and motioned for Thuban to join him. "Thuban, explain to me why your action was wrong?"

"I hurt Dad's feelings. I didn't trust him. I made people think he signed a paper he didn't," Thuban replied.

"So you believe your biggest crime was not trusting your father to fight for you? You don't see the injustice of falsifying the contract?" Lucius questioned.

Thuban furred his brow. "It was a registration form. It wasn't a contract."

"Ah, but it was. Were there not terms and conditions stated on it?" Lucius added

An extremely puzzled look crossed Thuban's face.

Lucius looked the boy in the eyes. "I see. Did you read the form before you forged your father's signature?"

"No, I thought it was just a registration form. I didn't realize it was a contract," Thuban started. The little wizard had spent many hours in the Malfoy International Offices. Both his father and grandfather had repeatedly explained the importance of contracts. He was always to make sure the terms were in his favor. Thuban's head dropped. "I didn't sign away anything, did I? I've never seen Dad make changes to them."

"You do not watch him closely. He does amend the injury clause," Lucius informed the boy.

"I… I understand now. I should have known better. You and Dad have spent a lot of time teaching me about contracts." He gave Lucius a hug and then went to the first stall. "I better get going. If we're late for supper, Grandmother will scold us."

The overall-clad little boy put on a pair of work gloves before opening the stall of Draco's horse. The brisk evening chill didn't bother Porcius; Draco often rode the animal on cold winter days. One by one Thuban let the horses and ponies out onto the paddock. Most of the animals freely left their stalls. Cam's horse needed a little encouragement, well Draco's old pony, Pumpkin, had to be dragged out. Pumpkin hated the cold and once outside kept bumping the door to be let back in.

Thuban decided to clean the bothersome creature's stall first. Quickly the little wizard set about his work using a pitchfork to remove the offensive waste. Each time he scooped up a pile of ravage, he turned his head away, screwed up his face and closed his eyes. After a moment, he would squint so he could see the wheel barrel and dumped the contents in it. Once in the barrel, the items magically disappeared along with the smell.

"Merlin, Pumpkin made a mess in here today. I don't know why Dad keeps her around, she is useless," Thuban complained. "Leo has his own pony. Dad had Serpens ride Pumpkin yesterday, and she wouldn't even gallop." Seconds later, Pumpkin hit the stall door causing it to open. The pony entered its stall. "You're a pain," Thuban hissed at the pony.

Pumpkin softly pressed her head to Thuban's cheek. The boy patted the pony's nose lovingly. "Stand over to the side, and let me finish." The pony did as directed, and Thuban finished the stall.

He made quick work of the other stalls. They were pretty clean already. The Black Hall house elves had surely taken mercy on the boy, and despite Draco and Ginny's orders, done most of the cleaning. All of the elves at Black Hall covertly did whatever they could to minimize the children's punishment, unlike the Manor elves. Thuban made a mental note to give his Grandmother an extra hug when they returned. She knew of the elves' interference, yet kept it a secret.

Skipping happily out to the paddock, Thuban called the animals back into their stalls. The sound of food being emptied into their buckets enticed all but one back inside. Porcius pranced around the paddock, trying to entice the little boy to chase him. Thuban knew better than to play; besides being fast, Porcius could easily jump the paddock fence.

Thuban sighed. "He could be out there all night. Maybe we should send an elf to let him back in after supper. We only have twenty minutes, and I need a good scrubbing." The little wizard smelled his arm. "I stink of horse poop."

Lucius raised his wand and cast a cleaning charm. "That's better, but a shower is still in order. We'll-"

The little boy beamed when he heard a bark. "We don't have to worry about Porcius. Dad's coming."

Draco rounded the corner, with Rani walking on his left. Draco made a loud clicking sound, and Porcius started prancing over to him. The wizard only need to motion to the animal's stall, and the horse went inside. Thuban quickly closed the door.

"Thanks, Dad."

"You're welcome, mate." Draco walked over to Lucius. When he stopped, Rani did also and sat at her master's side. The wizard looked at the dog. "Rani, release," he stated, and the dog ran over to Thuban. "Son, go play fetch with Rani. She needs a good run." Thuban smiled and ran off with the dog.

"I thought you had plans for the evening?" Lucius asked.

"We'll be leaving shortly. I wanted to come have a look at Pumpkin. The elves said she wasn't looking well."

Lucius nodded his head. "She looked very weak. I was going to Floo a horse medic. I believe her problem is more than colic. She is thirty, Draco. It may be time-"

"She'll be fine, Father." Draco firmly stated.

"Is something wrong with Pumpkin, Dad?" Thuban questioned.

Draco glared at his father and then smiled at his son. "Just a small case of colic, she'll be fine."

--------------*************--------------

The blond wizard growled under his breath as he entered the family parlor of Black Hall. There was no mistaking the messy bush of brown hair that floated in the Floo, speaking with Ginny. The last thing he needed today was more of know-it-all Granger.

"He's just come in, Hermione," Ginny merrily announced. She turned and smiled at her husband. "Hermione would like a word with you, dear."

The blond wizard made his way to the Floo. He briefly thought of grabbing a Firewhiskey before taking the call. A drink would make it easier to bear, however it might also loosen his tongue. Draco kissed Ginny's cheek before turning to the fireplace.

"Good evening, Hermione," he politely stated. His eyes flashed to Ginny. The pleasant, loving grin on her face eased the stinging that saying the Mudblood's given name caused.

"Good evening to you as well, Draco. I understand you and Ginny have plans, so I'll get straight to the point. I'm sorry for my behavior this afternoon. It was uncalled for. I… Well… It was uncalled for. I…" The brown haired witch paused.

"Apology accepted," Draco cut in.

"Thank you," Hermione answered. Turning her head to Ginny she continued. "I'm truly sorry, Ginny. Old habits die hard, especially when I'm not in the best of moods to begin with. I hope you two have a wonderful evening." With that statement her head disappeared from the fire.

Ginny took Draco's hand and started leading him to the foyer. "She's lucky she Flooed her apology. After her outburst today, I was of the mind never to allow her in this house again."

"I need a time turner so I can stop that Floo call," Draco mumbled a little too loudly, causing his wife to poke him in the side.

"Don't you start!" she ordered. "I don't have her over often. Merlin knows I need adults to stop by once in a while."

"I was joking, Love."

"Behind every joke is a ray of truth," Ginny replied before turning to him and holding him closely. "How is Pumpkin doing?"

"Not well." Sadness was clearly present in his voice. "The medic is completing a few more tests."

"We can stay home and tend her," Ginny offered.

Draco shook his head. "No need, she's just an animal."

The redheaded witch kissed his cheek. "She's a trusted friend and a present from your Grandfather Cygnus."

"She's the first present he gave me despite Father's disapproval." He hugged his witch for understanding him. "There's nothing more I can do for her tonight. I'll look in on her later this evening. Let us go now. I've decided to try something different tonight."

"I never would have guessed," Ginny teased as she looked at their casual attire. "Surprise me!" She stated before putting on her cloak and taking hold of his arm.

"We're off," Draco announced as he Disapparated.

Ginny looked around wide-eyed after landing, 'This can't be,' she thought. However, as her eyes took in her surroundings, she realized it was. She knew this orchard well. There were apple trees to her left, pear trees in front of her, cherry trees to her right and crabapple trees behind her. This was where she had learned to fly. The witch ran to a cherry tree where Draco's broom rested. Next to it was a slightly shorter, wrapped, broom shaped item. Ginny ripped off the paper to expose a lovely light brown broom with golden bristles.

She beamed at Draco and kissed his left cheek. "Thank you for the broom." She kissed his right cheek. "Thank you for coming here. Is this why the boys had to go to the Manor? You didn't want them finding us?"

"That, and I sent your parents to dinner and a stage show, so we could be alone."

Ginny reached down, grabbed his broomstick with her free hand and handed it to him. She mounted her new broom. "Flying," she said as she zoomed off. "Merlin, I miss flying like this. It's the only bad thing about being pregnant." Ginny looked back at Draco. "Let's race!"

The blond mounted his broom. "What do I get if I catch you?"

Ginny giggled, "Dream on, rich boy. It won't happen. I've got the home pitch advantage now."

They spent two hours soaring in and out of the trees, Ginny always two or more feet in front of Draco. Her arm muscles tired as they entered the third hour. She could no longer make the tight cornering along the trees. Her wider turns gave Draco the opportunity to make up ground. His hands were inches from touching her, so she decided to go back to the tight cornering.

Her arm muscles protested as she forced them to work. Ginny's normally smooth, graceful turns were now rough and awkward. She made it around five more trees before running into a problem. While trying to make a quick right turn, she couldn't get her broom to respond fast enough, and her left arm grazed the tree trunk.

Draco's worried cry of, "Ginny", rang in her ears as she headed for the clearing in the orchard. The redhead hated losing their game, but it was clear she could not longer fly safely. As she dismounted her broom, another idea came to her. Their game was catch. She might not be able to fly, but running was still within her abilities. Slowly, she started to walk towards the Burrow.

"Ginny?" Draco questioned as he landed.

The redhead smirked over her shoulder. "You haven't caught me yet," she informed him, and with that she broke into a full run. He chuckled deeply at her attempt and set off after her.

She had the kitchen door in sight when her hope was lost. Draco's large arms wrapped around her waist, and he turned her to face him. Ginny leaned her head back in anticipation of his normal lip crushing kiss, but it didn't come. He pulled on her cloak, exposing her left arm. A sigh of relief left his body at the sight of a small bruise.

"Thank Merlin, I thought you had done more damage," Draco stated.

She placed her arms around his neck. "Now that you've determined I'm fine, may I have my kiss?"

"You damned Weasley; you'd kill yourself just to win."

"You damned Malfoy; you're overdramatic." She pushed away from him and started for the door. "If you're not going to kiss me, I'm going to have a long soak. My muscles are aching." She raised a brow at him. "Are you going to just stand there, or are you going to join me?"

Draco smirked as he started after her. Ginny had just started running for the door, when it opened. Ron walked out of the house eating a sausage.

"That's your sister's supper, you git," Draco yelled. "Doesn't your wife feed you?"

"What are you doing here, Malfoy?" Ron replied.

"My supper?" Ginny questioned.

"I had your mother cook you bangers and mash," Draco replied.

Ginny took Draco's hand. "It wouldn't be the Burrow if Ron didn't take one of my sausages." She turned to her brother. "You're going home now, Ron."

"I just needed to collect Sophie's blanket." Ron stepped into the yard and Disapparated.

The witch gave her husband a quick kiss. "You arranged all this with my mum? That must have been a lengthy conversation."

"Yes, I had to come here for lunch," he sighed. "It's was surprisingly nice. She can actually cook light lunches as well as enormous feasts."

"Very funny, Dear. Let's eat," Ginny stated. "I think it will be better to soak at home. You never know who might drop in."

--------------*************--------------

Lucius walked into the family parlor of Malfoy Manor with Lyra in his arms and Thuban at his heels. Leo was already sitting in the corner of the room, pouting. Lucius sat in the settee closest to his youngest grandson. Thuban sat on the ottoman in front of his grandfather.

"Grandfather, what I told you about Alex and his mother before you left, you didn't tell anyone else, did you?" Thuban softly questioned.

"I informed Professor Snape."

The little boy got a worried look on his face. "He won't tell anyone, will he? You won't tell anyone else, will you? It would be really bad for Alex. When the teachers found out my friend Max played with snakes, they started treating him differently. Many boys stopped playing with him. I don't want that to happen to Alex too."

"I am positive Professor Snape will not reveal information that could cause Alex harm. Nor will I."

"Thank you." Thuban's body relaxed. "I think everyone's wrong about snake talkers. They aren't rare. People are just scared to say they can do it. I mean, both Max and Alex can do it, and they come from different countries."

"Max? Where is this Max from?" Lucius asked.

Thuban's expression became puzzled. "You know Max, Grandfather. He's the boy Dad brought home when you were looking for Cam."

Lucius nodded, not giving away the importance of the information. "Yes, the boy from the orphanage."

Narcissa walked into the room with a baby bottle in her hand. Cam and Serpens trailed the witch. Her eyes first landed on Leo. "I see you haven't been successful," she directed at her husband.

"I haven't had time to try. Thuban and I had some business to discuss. Why don't you take the older boys for a walk? I'll feed Lyra and speak with Leo," Lucius replied.

She handed Lucius the bottle. "As you wish, send an elf if you need me." Narcissa motioned to the older boys. "Come along, darlings."

"Just let him sit there," Serpens stated. "He will do anything for attention. He's even wetting himself."

"Serpens William Malfoy!" Narcissa scolded.

"But he does, Grandmother," Serpens responded.

"Come along, Serpens. We will speak on our walk." Narcissa ushered the older boys out of the room.

Lucius looked down at Lyra. "Let us see if your brother will join us."

"Give baby to Tipsy. Then I come," Leo growled at Lucius.

"No, I wish to hold and feed Lyra. However, there is room on my lap for you."

"Give baby to Tipsy!" Leo firmly stated.

Lucius gave the two-year-old a soft look. "Is that floor as warm as my lap?"

Leo shook his head.

"If you come and sit on my lap now, I'll read you a story." Lucius paused. "It's the cold floor or my warm lap."

The little boy slowly crept over to his grandfather and crawled onto his lap. Lucius removed the bottle from Lyra's mouth and hugged Leo. He then placed a towel over his shoulder and placed Lyra there to burp. Lucius swayed Leo into helping him burp the baby. The two-year-old's little hands gently patted his sister's back. He turned his eyes to his grandfather.

"She your special little mate now?"

Lucius sweetly kissed Leo's forehead. "No, Lyra is my little princess. You are still my mate." He removed the baby from his shoulder, placed her in his left arm and then wrapped his right arm around Leo, hugging the boy while feeding the baby. "Thank you for sitting on my lap and helping with Lyra. When she is done with her bottle, we'll read her a nice story."

--------------*************--------------

Cam crept into Thuban's darkened bedchamber. "Thuban, Thuban, I know you're still awake." He pulled back the covers to find his brother missing. The sound of a door opening caused him to move into the sitting room. Thuban was sneaking back into his room.

"What are you up to?" Cam said trying his best to sound like Lucius. This noise caused Thuban to jump. The younger boy's chuckles quickly stopped when his brother's expression turned to anger.

"Out of my room!" Thuban ordered.

"I was joking. I have some news. Serpens forgot his blanket, so I went downstairs to tell Grandmother. Well, she was greeting Professor Snape and asking Grandfather why he had Professor Snape come over so late. He told her it was important, something to do with Alex and Max. I didn't get to hear much because they saw me and stopped talking. They're in Grandfather's study now. Let's go listen to them."

Thuban's eyes darted around the room. "Grandfather saw you?"

"Yes."

The older boy went to the fireplace, started a fire and threw a pair of Extendable Ears into it.

"You're a nutter! We could have used them!" Cam protested.

"Hush," Thuban replied. He pulled Cam close and whispered into his ear. "I had to. I left them hidden in the nursery last week. This is the first safe time I had to get them."

"But-"

"Keep listening," Thuban ordered in his whispered voice. "Tonight Dad told Grandfather he could cane my bottom if he caught me with any Weasleys' Wizarding products. I'm not taking any chances. Besides we can't hear into Grandfather's study with them, and even if we could, it would be too risky."

"Grandfather always leaves his north window cracked open this time of year."

"Shut it," Thuban growled.

Tipsy the house elf Apparated in Thuban's chambers.

"See," Thuban whispered. "Follow my lead." The boy spoke out loud. "That book is in my bedchamber, come on in." They headed for the other room. After a few steps, they turned to the elf. "What do you want, Tipsy?"

"You's to be asleep," the elf said.

"I can't sleep, so Grandmother said I could read. Thuban has the book I want," Cam informed the elf.

"We don't need you, go away," Thuban commanded.

The elf stood firm. "I's be waiting. I's see Master Cygnus back to his room."

"Make yourself useful," Thuban ordered. "I'm thirsty. Go get me a glass of water, with those ice fish Grandmother has in the kitchen." When the elf didn't leave, Thuban added. "Go ahead. It will only take you a moment, we can't go anywhere in that time."

The elf popped out. Thuban started to whisper again. "Grandfather sent her. She'll be making sure we stay in our rooms. I told you it was too risky."

"But I want to know why Professor Snape is here!" Cam complained.

"Well, there is one way. Grandmother and Grandfather will come to bed right after Professor Snape leaves. As soon as you hear their door close, go in pretending to have a tummy ache. Grandmother will tend you in their bed while Grandfather showers. Act like you are sleeping when he comes out. They'll talk thinking you are asleep."

Cam shook his head. "You do it. Grandmother will give me a potion for the belly ache."

"It won't work for me. Grandfather says I'm too big to be in their bed."

"It's me then," Cam said sadly. "You know, we need to train Serpens to spy."

Thuban rolled his eyes and pushed a book roughly into Cam's chest. "You need to learn to whisper."

Tipsy entered the bed chamber with a glass. Little blue fish-shaped ice swam in it. Thuban climbed into bed. When the elf made to tuck the boy in, he slapped her hands away. "Peppa," he called. Another house elf appeared. "Tuck me in, please," Thuban sweetly asked before giving the evil eye to Tipsy.

"I'll have Peppa tuck me in too," Cam told the old Manor elf.

--------------*************--------------

Lucius poured Severus a Firewhiskey. "We will start in a moment. I'd like confirmation of my grandsons' locations."

"They take after their father." Snape chuckled. "Draco was forever trying to overhear us."

An extremely sad Tipsy popped into the room and bowed lowly to Lucius. "All of the young masters are in their beds, Master."

"Tell me everything, Elf!" Lucius hissed.

"Master Cygnus being in Master Thuban chambers at first. They was planning something, I's think. Master Thuban keeps trying to order I's away. I's hear Master Cygnus say they be making Master Serpens a spy. I's made sure they's in they's own beds now, Master. I's be assigning Manor elves to keep watch when Master call me."

The blond wizard waved a hand at the elf and she disappeared. He took a drink of his Firewhiskey.

Severus smirked. "So, are we waiting to catch their spy?"

"Thuban knows I'm watching. He will not be foolish enough to send someone right now." He chuckled before adding, "However, I'm sure he has another plan to acquire the information he seeks." Lucius took another drink. "Now, let's speak of your grandsons, my friend. I believe Thuban has helped us find Maximus Petrova. We should have thought of it before. Remember the little boy Draco took from the Muggle orphanage in Bulgaria?"

After a moment of thought, Snape nodded. "It fits the Muggle papers, but if Bellatrix didn't keep the boy, he must not be of the Dark Lord's blood."

"Mulciber told you that no one knew of the plan but he and young Nott. According to Thuban, the boy is a Parselmouth, which he has almost revealed to his teachers. Add to that Ginevra's dreams of the Dark Lord as a child. They make sense to me now. She saw the Dark Lord as a teenager before magic changed him. I guess she has seen Max in passing, and that triggered her dreams. We need to get to the child as soon as possible," Lucius stated.

Snape glared at his oldest friend. "My grandson is not a new Dark Lord!"

"I never said he was, Severus. I mean him no harm, however there are those of our kind that would for a chance at power. And what of Mulciber's lot? I am thinking of the boy's safety," Lucius implored his friend to listen.

"His safety, yes. The lies being spread by Whitby's campaign have everyone frightened. He was been trying to link Blaise Zabini to the Dark Lord and the Dark Arts. We cannot go through his wife or the orphanage to collect the boy," Snape flatly stated. "Is Maximus a friend of Thuban's?"

"I believe so. What are you planning?"

"Inform Thuban that he is invited to my lab at Hogwarts tomorrow. I would like him to bring Alex and Maximus along. If the boy is my grandson, he should be excellent at Potions," Snape said.

"That may be a problem. Thuban is currently being punished. I would have to explain our reasons to Draco."

Severus sighed. "No, that wouldn't be wise, the fewer wizards who know, the better. I will speak with Maisie. If Thuban has befriended Maximus, it is likely Alex has also."

The Potions Master stood and shook his friend's hand. "Thank you, Lucius. If I leave now, I should be able to meet with Maisie tonight."

--------------*************--------------

Thuban ran up the stairs as soon as they landed in the Black Hall foyer.

"Sweetheart, don't you want any biscuits?" Ginny called after her oldest.

"I need to speak with Grandfather first," he called.

Cam tugged on her robes. "He's upset. His friends Alex and Max got invited to make potions with Professor Snape today, but a strange man picked them up from school. Michael Flint told Thuban the man was an Auror. He said Max and Alex were being arrested because they are Dark Wizards."

"Flint was teasing," Ginny told the boy.

Cam shrugged, "Thuban seemed to believe him. Grandfather will know the truth."

Ginny took Cam's hand. "Then let him talk to his grandfather." They walked merrily to the kitchen and found a very poignant Draco with a letter in his hand. The witch quickly went to her husband, placing her hands on his shoulders in comfort. "What is it, honey?"

"The medic's tests are back. Pumpkin has Lymphoma," he barely whispered.

"Peppa," Ginny called, and the house elf appeared. "Take the biscuits and Cam into the playroom, Miss Stacy is there. Make sure Thuban goes to the playroom also. Cammy, go with Peppa, please."

"Yes, Mummy," Cam replied, and with a backwards worried look, he headed out of the room.

"Is there anything they can do?" she softly asked.

He shook his head as a single tear ran down his cheek. "Three months is all they give her."

Draco turned in his chair, pulled Ginny into his lap and hugged her tightly. "I asked both my father and Grandfather Abraxas for a pony for my fifth birthday, but neither agreed, stating I needed to be nicer to my old Manor Pony first. No amount of my crying or Mother's pleading would change their minds." Draco smiled slightly. "Two days later Grandfather Cygnus brought me to the Black Hall stables and showed me Pumpkin. He taught me how to care for her. Every day for three months I woke up at dawn, and Grandfather Cygnus brought me here. I did everything for Pumpkin, including cleaning her stall. I proved my ability to Father, and I was allowed to bring Pumpkin to the Manor." He paused. "Of course I stopped cleaning her stall, but I did supervise the elves in her care every day."

"Just as Thuban does with Felicity. Your Grandfather Cygnus taught you well, Draco. And you in turn have taught your sons," Ginny kissed his cheek.

"I failed. Pumpkin only has three months at the best, and they will be extremely painful for her. Yet I can't bring myself to putting her down. I'm-"

"You can't kill her!" Thuban screamed from the doorway as Peppa tried to get him out of the room. "You said she was more than just a pony, she was your friend!"

"Thuban," Ginny said softly. "Calm down."

The boy pointed at his father. "You stand by your friends! You don't let bad things happen to them! He has to help Pumpkin, not kill her."

Thuban," Ginny replied. "Your daddy loves Pumpkin deeply. He-"

"You don't talk about killing things you love!" Thuban stormed out of the room.

Draco made to stand. "Leave him be," Ginny said.

"Ginny, you go talk to him," Draco requested.

She shook her head. "In that mood, he's not going to listen to anyone. I'll have Tipsy check on him." The redhead kissed her husband softly. "Don't pay any attention to his words, Love, he doesn't understand."

Out in the foyer Thuban grabbed the Daily Prophet. He didn't care that he wasn't to read it until after his father had. There were things he needed to check for himself.

Grandfather wouldn't answer his mirror call. Had his grandfather told the Ministry about Alex and Max being Parselmouths? Or had Professor Snape told them? The boy berated himself. He should have never opened his mouth. Well, it was done now. If he was lucky, the paper would hold the answer.

Thuban looked at the front page. There was a picture of the tattoo that his grandfather had on his arm. Next to it was the headline: How Blaise Zabini Had His Dark Mark Removed. So that's what it's called, Thuban thought. What a lie. If Uncle Blaise knew how to remove it, he would have told Uncle Vincent and Grandfather.

At the bottom left Thuban read the headline: What Ginevra Malfoy nee Weasley truly thinks of Blaise Zabini: "He's a poser!" The little boy chuckled. He had heard the story of the Slug Club's first meeting during his mother's fifth year many times. His mum hadn't liked Uncle Blaise back then.

At the bottom right Thuban saw the polls for the upcoming election. Blaise's numbers were double that of Walden Madenly's. And Madenly's were triple those of the next closest candidate. With only two weeks until Election Day, Zabini and Madenly would surely take office on August 1st, 2008. The boy knew the stories about his uncle seemed to help him more than hurt him.

He quickly turned the page; Uncle Blaise wasn't important today, his friends were. If two wizards were arrested for being Parselmouths, it would be in the paper. Thuban had decided he would go and save them no matter the danger. Alex and Max were good wizards. He knew that. They never had an evil thought around him. Thuban had looked into Max's mind after Michael Flint had called Max bad names, and not even then did Max have evil thoughts.

Page after page Thuban found nothing. He was going through the paper for the second time when an Apparition pop drew his attention. The boy closed the paper. "An Auror took Alex and Max away. Did you tell? You promised not to."

"I kept my promise to you, Thuban. Are you certain an Auror collected them? I believe they are at Hogwarts with Professor Snape."

"Please, take me to Hogwarts so I can check. They're my friends. Please, Grandfather," Thuban pleaded. Concern was clearly displayed in the child's face.

"Go get one of your parents, please." As Thuban ran off, Lucius went to the Floo. "Maisie Kemps," he called. His head was floating in the Kemps' fireplace moments later.

"Happy afternoon, Lucius," Maisie happily stated.

"I'm sorry to trouble you, Maisie. Thuban is a little concerned. He said an Auror collected Alex after school."

"Oh, goodness! What a sweet child Thuban is for looking out for Alex! I was busy this afternoon. That wizard was my husband's assistant. Alex is at Hogwarts with Severus. Thank you for checking, Lucius," Maisie replied.

"I'm glad all is well. Have a nice day, my dear," Lucius countered.

Exiting the fireplace, the wizard noticed a tear-faced Thuban. "I forgot," the boy stammered. "My parents are busy. Pumpkin's dying."