Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade by Roz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade

Roz

A/N: Here it is, folks, as promised! It kind of goes with the earlier chapter as well. I hope you enjoy it. Leave a review and let me know!

Still not mine….

Chapter 13

Roommates and Revelations

Harry, Hermione and Ron couldn't wait to see their new sleeping quarters, so Professor McGonagall led them up to the Gryffindor tower. They were surprised though, when she turned to the right as they got to the portrait of the Fat Lady. They went a little further down and stopped in front of a painting of a very distinguished looking older gentleman.

"Sir Edward, I would like to introduce the new Head Girl and Head Boy for this school year. This is Miss Hermione Granger and Mr. Harry Potter."

He nodded regally to each of them.

"And this is Mr. Ronald Weasley, Gryffindor's Prefect. The three of them will be bunking together in the Head dorm this year."

"Weasley eh? Had one of those a few years ago," Sir Edmund muttered eyeing him closely. "Well, I'm sorry Headmistress," he sniffed haughtily, "There is only room for one in each section. Boys and girls are not allowed to bunk together. You know the rules."

Professor McGonagall smiled at him through tight lips.

"I see," she sighed, and started to turn away. "I guess Sir Cadogan was right. It would be too big of a job for you. Come along, you three."

"What! Wait! What did that pompous fool say?" Sir Edward yelled.

Harry caught the twinkle in her eye before she turned around.

"He merely stated that you were getting along in your years and would find it difficult to create a room for three. I fully understand. We can make other arrangements, I'm sure."

"Getting along!" he spluttered, "I'll have you know that I am twice the man he is! Just you stay right there!" He stormed out of the picture and disappeared.

"Professor, did Sir Cadogan really say that?" asked Ron.

Professor McGonagall just smiled. "Sometimes, Mr. Weasley, to get what you want, you need to know how to ask."

Sir Edward came back, still muttering under his breath. He sat back down, resumed his air of dignity and cleared his throat.

"On behalf of the Gryffindor house I would like to congratulate the both of you for being selected as House Boy and Girl. And you young sir, I welcome as their confidante. The password for your quarters is `Lion's courage'."

As he said this, his portrait swung open.

"I'll leave you to explore your new quarters. I will be meeting with Professor Lupin and Professor Tonks if you need me," Professor McGonagall said as she left.

They walked in and found themselves in a smaller version of the main common room. There was a small fire in the grate and a big comfy couch and an overstuffed chair facing it. Beside the fireplace on the right there was a table with three chairs. There were several bookshelves around the walls, four doors and another hallway.

Ron went to the right and opened the first, door, which led to a bathroom.

"Wicked!" he said, "We don't have to use the dorm washroom. We have our own!"

"I don't know Ron, I kind of liked the Prefects washroom," grinned Harry.

Ron went and looked in the next room, which was a bedroom. Inside was a bed with a big comfy quilt with the Gryffindor colors, a small desk and a chair, a closet and a bookshelf. Ron went and flopped on the bed. Hermione and Harry went and looked in the other two rooms. Harry thought that it would be nice to be able to have a room for himself.

"Which one do you want, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"It doesn't really matter, the one on the left I guess," replied Harry.

They decided to head back to the Burrow to pack up their trunks. When they arrived, they informed Mrs. Weasley that they would be returning to Hogwarts early to `do some extra studying with the newly appointed professors Tonks and Lupin,' as Hermione explained it. She was so thrilled to see them, and especially Ron, eager to start studying for their NEWTS, that they didn't want to destroy her happy mood by explaining exactly what they were studying. Mrs. Weasley insisted that they stay for dinner, which they agreed to. All too soon, their bellies were stuffed and they were saying goodbye to a tearful Mrs. Weasley. Mr. Weasley shook their hands and reminded Harry and Hermione they were family too, and as such, were expected back for Christmas.

They were greeted back by Professor McGonagall as they stepped out of her fireplace, and she informed Harry and Ron that Hedwig and Pigwidgion were already here in the owlery. She sent their trunks up to their rooms for them, and the trio set off to their new common room. The halls were eerily quiet, since no one was around, and most of the teachers had not returned yet. They ran across Mrs. Norris, who glared at them with beady eyes.

"Go away," said Harry. "We have a right to be here."

She slunk off and Harry was sure that she had gone to report to Mr. Filch. When they arrived at their quarters, Sir Edward was having tea with the Fat Lady.

"Yes, yes, well it was such an easy feat for the likes of me! Not everyone here is able to get the castle to create new rooms. Ah! Here are my wards now. Madame, I would like to introduce you to Miss Hermione Granger, Mr. Ronald Weasley, and Mr. Harry Potter."

The Fat Lady batted her eyelashes and nodded regally at them.

"Oh Sir Edward! You didn't tell me you had the great Harry Potter staying with you!" She simpered.

Harry sighed and rolled his eyes as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Lion's courage," said Hermione, just wanting to get inside.

"A bit testy, that one," they heard the Fat Lady say to Sir Edward as they went through the hole.

They headed down the corridor towards their common room.

"Care for a game of Wizard's Chess?" asked Ron.

"Sure," said Harry.

Hermione grabbed one of her books and they spent the next few hours enjoying their newfound freedom. No one was telling them to go to bed, or do their homework. There were no curfews at the school yet, so they felt very privileged. It was around midnight when Ron stretched and yawned.

"I'm off to bed," he said. "Night Harry, night Hermione."

Harry got up and stretched and sauntered over to the couch where Hermione was curled up in the corner. He sat at the opposite end with his arm over the back of the couch, facing her.

"What are you reading?" he asked.

"Dark Omens: What To Do When You Know the Worst is Coming," she replied, as she moved down the couch towards him. She leaned back into him so he could see what she was reading. Harry became very aware of where they were touching, and found it difficult to focus on what Hermione was telling him. Hermione was completely absorbed in her book now, and Harry leaned back and closed his eyes, listening to her read passages out loud to him. He must have drifted off, because the next thing he knew Hermione was poking him in the ribs.

"Honestly Harry! Did you even hear a word I said?"

"Nope," said Harry grinning as he looked at her through half-closed eyelids.

"I don't know why I even waste my time," she huffed as she started to get up.

Harry's hand flashed out and he caught her arm as she stood.

"Don't go," he said, "I'm sorry. I would like you to stay with me. Just for a while, please?"

Hermione sat down at the opposite end of the couch again and sat facing him, her eyes full of concern.

"You're not having bad dreams again, are you, Harry?" she asked.

"No, no," he said. "I thought…I mean…I just wanted your company," he stammered. Why was he embarrassed now? This was one of his best friends!

Hermione smiled with relief and sat back. Harry held out his hand towards her. Hermione took it and scooted back to where she was before. She pulled her legs up under herself and leaned against Harry, staring into the fire. Harry sighed contentedly, leaned back, and closed his eyes again.

"So when do you want to go to Godric's Hollow?" Hermione asked idly as she flipped through her book.

"I figured maybe tomorrow," answered Harry, without opening his eyes.

"So do you know where we are going? How are we going to travel?" asked Hermione

Harry opened his eyes and looked at the fire. "I hadn't thought about it. I don't even know where my parents' house is located."

"We could ask Professor Lupin. He would know," answered Hermione.

Harry smiled. "That's why I keep you around."

"What for?" Hermione asked.

"So I don't have to bother with details like transportation and such," he teased.

"Humph!" she snorted, "You'd be lost without me."

"Oh really?" Harry challenged with a mischievous glint.

"Yes, really!" Hermione grinned. She was getting into the game now. "Why, both you and Ron would still be bumbling around this castle trying to figure out your classes if it wasn't for me making your timetables for you."

Harry rolled his eyes and poked her in the side. Hermione slapped his hand away.

"We were doing just fine before you took over," he snorted, "Bumbling around!" He shook his head.

"Took over? Who took over? What are you talking about?" Hermione turned and glared at him mockingly.

Harry rolled his eyes again. "Oh come on now! Who is so organized and bossy," he teased, "that we don't dare step out of line!"

Now it was Hermione's turn to roll her eyes.

"Oh, you two are so scared of little old me! What a joke!" she smirked.

"Oh, yes!" said Harry, pretending to be scared. "We can't defy Miss Granger! She might put a hex on us!" He waggled his fingers at her.

"Oh, honestly," said Hermione, trying not to laugh.

"You never know," Harry said seductively as he walked his fingers up the top of her leg. Hermione stared, transfixed at his progress. "When she might…curse you!"

As he said it, he grabbed her and began to tickle her. She screeched and tried to get away, but Harry had his arm around her and she was caught. She squirmed and put her hands against his chest.

"Harry! Stop! Please!" she laughed.

Harry just grinned and tickled her some more. Hermione collapsed against Harry as he teased her with his fingers. She was almost lying on top of him now, completely breathless from laughing, and Harry was beginning to feel the stirrings in his groin. He stopped suddenly, aware of how close to each other they were. Hermione gasped, trying to catch her breath, unaware of the effect she was having on him. Harry looked up at her, watching her try to compose herself. She looked down at him, their eyes met, and the smile dropped off of her face. Before he could think about what he was doing, he leaned forward and kissed her. Her lips were soft, and he kissed her gently, savoring the feeling of his lips on hers. He deepened the kiss, putting both of his arms around her and pulling her even closer. He ran his hand up her back, her silky hair brushing against his hand as he moved towards the back of her neck. He could feel an incredible tingle building and expanding from his chest. It seemed to surround him, making him feel powerful. His senses were all of a sudden more acute and he could feel Hermione with his heart, not just with his hands. He felt exhilarated, energized, like he could take on the world.

Suddenly Hermione pushed herself away from Harry, and stood up. She stared at him wide-eyed and then turned and fled to her bedroom, closing her door behind her. Harry sat there for a minute reveling in the feeling going through him. He turned when he heard a bedroom door open. Ron stuck his tousled head out and looked bleary-eyed at Harry.

"You guys fighting or something?" he asked.

"Something," said Harry as he stood up. "Night, Ron," he headed for his bedroom, smiling as he closed his door.

Hermione was sitting up in her bed hugging her knees. She was reliving the last few minutes she had spent with Harry. She felt his soft lips pressed against hers, his arms possessively hugging her closer to his body… and that feeling…it seemed to come off of him in waves. It had made her feel heady…and loved.

The power of the emotions from Harry had scared her. She knew he cared about her, but that kiss had said more. She already knew the risk of having Harry for a friend. It was scary to think that he could die. But having Harry as something more…she didn't know if she could handle that. The fear of losing someone she loved above all others…it caused her chest to constrict and her throat to swell. A single tear fell down her cheek and she wiped it away irritably. She wasn't used to feeling vulnerable and out of control. She snuggled down into her bed, determined to deal with this whole thing tomorrow, as soon as she figured out how.

Next-door Harry was lying in his bed staring at the ceiling. He knew he had shocked her, but he couldn't help it. She had been so close to him. He hoped he hadn't done the wrong thing. It had felt so right, and the way he had felt while kissing her; he hadn't felt that with anyone else. As he rolled over to his side and closed his eyes, he decided that he didn't want to lose that feeling, and he wanted to try and convince Hermione that they should try for more than `best friends' no matter what the risks were. He was tired of putting his life on hold. With that thought firmly in his mind, he rolled over again and drifted off to sleep.

-->