Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade by Roz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade

Roz

A/N: This is just a cute little fuzzy chapter, with a little fluff and the start of the school year. Thank-you for all of the wonderful reviews that I received! You have made me very happy. As for all you other readers, won't you take the time to drop a line or two? Just a few words a day can feed the writer's ego for a week. It just takes a minute to make someone happy…(I have got to stop staying up late and watching those infomercials…)

You know the drill, doesn't belong to me, no money being made, blah blah blah…

I wonder if JKR has ever written a review?

Chapter 18

The Commencement of Things

Within a week Hermione and Harry were both healthy and out of the hospital. They had several visits with Hagrid before the school year was to start, and took some precious time to enjoy the quiet of the school grounds. Now they were sitting in the Great Hall watching the sorting hat choose houses for the new students. Harry noticed that it was a much smaller group this year, and there were many older students missing from the four houses. The largest group here seemed to be the Gryffindor House, and Harry was glad to see all of the DA members were here as well. Harry looked over at the Slytherin table, knowing Malfoy wouldn't be there, but he was surprised to see Crabbe and Goyle there. They seemed to have a new leader to kowtow to, Blaise Zambini. Harry turned back to the front as he saw Professor Lupin take the stool and the hat away. He was expecting a speech from Professor McGonagall, and as she stood up, the houses became quiet. She looked at the four tables before meeting Harry's gaze. He could tell from her eyes that this was difficult for her. Harry felt the anger burning in him as he thought about all that Voldemort had taken not just from him, but also from everyone else.

`He's not taking Hogwarts…' he thought angrily. `This is going to end.'

Professor McGonagall gripped the podium to steady herself and looked around once more.

"I would like to welcome you to another year at Hogwarts. You may have noticed that our enrollment is down this year. This was unfortunate, but expected. As your teachers, we will continue to expect the same high caliber performance from students that has been evident in the past years. Hogwarts," she paused as she looked up over her glasses at her captive audience, "has never been known to shirk its responsibility when it comes to educating young witches and wizards, and we will not do so now. You are here first and foremost to complete your magical training. The world is a dark and dangerous place, and the best way to arm yourself is with knowledge and practice. Only then, can we turn back the dark together." At this, she looked pointedly at Harry. He nodded respectfully at the wisdom of her words.

Professor McGonagall looked around the hall again. "The usual reminders stand. The Forbidden forest is just that, forbidden. Mr. Filch will have a list of the banned items attached to his door. It is safe to say that anything from Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes is off limits." This drew snickers from the crowd; many of them probably had several tricks already hidden in their trunks.

"And now, enjoy your feast." With a clap of her hands the tables were suddenly laden with a variety of different foods, the aroma causing Harry's stomach to growl and his mouth to water. Harry loved this part. They had eaten well during the past two weeks, but the first banquet of the year was always special to him. It meant that he was home.

As Harry filled his plate he glanced over and caught Hermione looking at him. He smiled at her, and she blushed and lowered her gaze. They hadn't had any time alone in the past two weeks, as Ron had been true to his word and the trio went everywhere together. Harry enjoyed being in the company of his two best friends, but he really wanted to have a chance at being alone with Hermione. Tonight he would get that chance, since they were on rounds together tonight.

**** **** **** ****

The hallways were quiet as they passed by portraits and armor silently standing on guard. Harry took hold of Hermione's hand as they went down one of the moving staircases and was pleased to notice she didn't pull away as they reached the bottom. He glanced over at her and saw she was chewing on her bottom lip.

"A knut for your thoughts?" he asked.

Hermione looked over at him and smiled sadly. "I was just trying to figure out why I reacted the way I did when I saw Dolohov."

Harry stopped and put his hands on Hermione's shoulders, making her look at him.

"Hermione, the man seriously injured you at the Department of Mysteries and then seemed hell bent on getting you when we were at Godric's Hollow. It's understandable to be afraid of someone like that, I should know."

Hermione looked down and shook her head, tears glistening on her eyelashes.

"If I freeze up every time I come against Dolohov, I'm no good for you, Harry. I won't be any good in a fight."

Harry gently took her chin and lifted her face so he could see her eyes.

"You're stronger than you think, Hermione, because you care. I don't think Dolohov will catch you off-guard again. How can you say that you're no good for me?" He ran his hands up and down her arms. "You keep me strong. You're the one who has always been there for me. Don't let one mistake worry you. It turned out okay."

"But don't you see, Harry? Because of my one mistake you almost died!" She sobbed as she leaned into his chest.

Harry put his arms around her and just held her. He didn't know what else to say. He didn't blame her for what happened, but he knew she would continue to feel guilty if he didn't dispel her fears.

"Hermione, look at me," he said softly

She raised her head to look at him and Harry got lost in her sorrow-filled eyes. He forgot what he was going to say as his world narrowed to the golden brown orbs pulling him into their depths. He lowered his head and claimed her lips with his, wanting to show her what he couldn't put into words. He felt her arms go around his waist, and after a moment's hesitation, she kissed him back. Harry felt a surge of exhilaration from her response. After a moment, he slowly pulled away from her.

"Someone once told me that I couldn't take the blame for someone else's choices. I told you that I wanted to protect you almost as much as I want to protect Ron. I treasure you, Hermione, and I want you by my side. But,' he tapped her nose as he smiled. "Not if you are going to beat yourself up if things don't go well. Dumbledore once told me that I would have to choose between what is easy and what is right. Now I'm going to ask you to do the same. I know that this isn't going to be easy, Hermione, but it feels right. I'm leaving the choice up to you as to what you want to do. I've already made my choice." Harry took her hand again and started to walk down the hall back towards the Gryffindor tower.

And what choice is that?" Hermione asked after a few minutes of silence.

Harry looked at her and gave her a mischievous grin.

"I think you already know the answer to that." He raised her hand to his lips and kissed it before letting go. "Last one to the common room is a rotten Snorkack!" He yelled as he took off at a run.

"Harry!" Hermione laughed as she took chase.

They both tumbled through the portrait hole laughing, and Ron watched them from his chair by the fire.

"I didn't know that patrolling was that much fun," he smirked as he raised an eyebrow at them.

"I think that it was the company," Harry said, looking meaningfully at Hermione. "I'm going to bed. 'Night, Ron, 'night, Hermione."

Hermione watched him go to his room, and then turned to see Ron watching her.

"What?" She asked as she plopped down on the couch.

"Nothing," said Ron. "You just looked like you were enjoying yourself."

Hermione shrugged. "Anything wrong with that?" She asked.

"No," said Ron. "As long as you're happy. Are you happy, Hermione? With Harry?"

"I...I don't know. I enjoy his company, we're best friends, but...I don't know if there is anything else there. I like him, and I'm pretty sure he likes me, if tonight was any indication but...I'm sorry Ron; this is so weird to be talking about this with you, I mean, since we went out and all…"

"Have you kissed him? Since his birthday, I mean." Ron felt he already knew the answer.

Hermione blushed and looked down.

"Honestly Ron, I don't know if we-"

"It's okay, Hermione, remember? Protective brother here? I just want you to be happy."

"I'm scared, that's what I am. What if he…" she trailed off, fearing to say what was hidden in the deepest corner of her heart.

Ron got up and sat beside her, taking her hands in his, waiting for her to look at him.

"Would you rather spend a lifetime regretting what you could have had? If you wait until the war is over, you may never have the chance. I'm not saying we won't survive, but why wait? He's a good man, Hermione, and if I have to see you with anyone else, I would rather see you with him."

"Ronald Weasley! Since when did you become so wise and noble?" Hermione asked.

Ron just shrugged. "Just something I heard from my mum," he said. He kissed her forehead and got up. "Think about it. I know you'll make the right choice."

Hermione looked at him through narrowed eyes. "Did Harry tell you to talk to me?"

Ron shook his head. "No, why?" he asked.

"No reason. Just something he said earlier." Hermione got up and hugged Ron. "Thanks for being such a good friend, Ron."

"Hey," he said hugging her back. "Anything for my sis."

Harry quietly closed the door to his room and grinned. He didn't know if he deserved such a good friend in Ron, but he did know one thing, he would be there for both of them until the bitter end.

***** ***** ***** *****

When Harry came out the next morning he found Hermione surrounded by books at the table.

"Good morning," he said. "Studying already?"

Hermione looked up and smiled. "I think I know how we are going to keep everyone safe. Do you remember I was talking about an emergency portkey? Come take a look."

Harry sat down beside her and looked at the book she was studying.

"Look at this. You can create an emergency portkey. I was thinking that if we created some kind of a crest, or clasp for our Hogwart's uniforms, something that could be triggered by another portkey, we could use it to Apparate the students to safety. We don't even have to tell the students about it because it would stay dormant until it's used; sort of like the coin I used to call the D.A. meetings. That way we don't have to tell anyone we don't trust, so that the information won't get back to Voldemort."

"Hermione, have I told you lately how brilliant you are?" Harry said as he put his arm around her shoulder.

"Yes, well I didn't come up with it all by myself. I got some ideas from this book, The Dark Arts Outsmarted."

"I still think you're brilliant. Let's go have breakfast. Ron already down there?" Harry asked as he stood up.

"Of course. His stomach called," she smirked. "I want to send an owl to Fred and George later," Hermione said as she packed up her books. "I think they could help us."

Harry stopped dead and smacked his forehead. "I forgot! They wanted to see me to talk about something they've created. "

"What was it?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know. I guess I should arrange to go see them. Maybe I'll add a note to your owl." Harry said as he held open the portrait door for her.

They entered the Great Hall and went and sat down beside Ron. As they were piling food on their plates, Lupin came up to them and handed them their schedules.

"This is the part I hate," groaned Ron.

Harry looked down at his schedule and was surprised by the lack of classes. Even though he had told them he couldn't attend classes, he thought that they would still try and make him do it. He looked up at Lupin expectedly.

"You will notice Harry, that your schedule is different. You will be taking potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts, as well as Transfigurations and Charms. But you will also be having private lessons several times during the week.

"Who with?" Harry asked.

"Myself, Tonks, Professor McGonagall, Mad-eye Moody, and Professor Dumbledore."

"Dumbledore? But how-" began Harry.

"That's not open for discussion here. Your first lesson is tonight at 7:00 pm. I believe you know the password?" Lupin asked and Harry nodded. "Good. I'll see you in class this afternoon."

Ron was looking over his schedule and groaned. "Why do we always have potions with Slytherin? Why not Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw?"

"Well at least they will be short one ferret. That should make it better." Hermione said.

Harry glanced over at the Slytherin table. They were definitely down in numbers, but looking as sullen as ever.

"Time for Transfiguration!" Hermione said. "I haven't seen Tonks this morning. I hope she's okay."

"Probably nervous," Harry said as he got up.

They headed down to the classroom and filed in to take their usual seats. They all turned as they heard Tonks come through the door. Harry grinned as he took in her appearance. She had the formal teaching robes on and she had her hair pulled back into a bun in the back of her head. He laughed to himself as he thought she looked like a young McGonagall.

"Good morning class, my name is Professor Tonks and I am your new Transfiguration teacher," she said stiffly. She scanned the room, and as her gaze fell on Harry, he winked at her. Tonks relaxed.

"I'll be okay," she thought as she began to introduce the lesson.

They worked on wandless magic during the class time, levitating objects and trying to transform animals into cups. All very simple magic, really, but much harder without the focal point of a wand. Most of the class struggled, some could do weaker versions of the spell, and Tonks was pleasantly surprised to see that Harry was stronger than many of the other students, including Hermione. Tonks felt a sense of satisfaction as she watched her students pack up their belongings at the end of the class. She could see they were mentally exhausted, but happy with their accomplishments.

"Mr. Weasley, Mr. Potter, and Miss Granger, a moment of your time please?" She called sternly.

The three looked at each other and then made their way to her desk. They, like the other students, were curious about what Professor Tonks wanted with them. Tonks waited, standing primly at the front of the classroom in front of the three nervous students as the last of the class reluctantly left. The trio watched as Tonks flicked her wrist and wandlessly closed the door behind them. The silence was deafening as they turned as one to look at their new teacher. She looked at them one by one, impassively, before breaking out into a huge grin.

"So what did you think? I was so nervous! Do you think the hair and outfit were too much? I wanted them to respect me, being so young you know. Most teachers are at least twice my age. How was the lesson? Was it interesting? Do you think we were doing too much? Maybe I-"

"Tonks!" Harry laughed. "Stop! Slow down! How can we answer any of those questions if you don't breathe between sentences?"

"Sorry," she said breathlessly. "I just wanted your opinion."

"You were brilliant, Tonks," Hermione said. "Just like Professor McGonagall."

"Yeah," added Ron. "Very…teacher like."

Tonks frowned. "Too much?" She asked.

"No," said Harry. "I think you did a great job. The lessons were good."

"Just be yourself, Tonks," Hermione hesitated, unsure if she should be criticizing a teacher. "Well, okay I guess not, I would hate it if you tripped in front of the class," Hermione teased with a smile.

"Glad you have faith in me," she grinned.

"Oh, we do, we just know you too well," Harry laughed.

"That's Professor Tonks to you," she said as she walked them towards the back of the class. "I'd hate to dock points for cheekiness," she said slyly.

"Yes, Professor Tonks," they said in unison, stifling their laughter, as they headed out the door.

-->