Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade by Roz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade

Roz

A/N: I would like to thank all of the people who have been taking the time to leave reviews. You have fed my addiction well. This is just a short little chapter to whet your appetite for more. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks to Dementor149 for being my Beta. It's nice to have someone who understands my obsession…

I received a letter from JKR the other day denying my request to take ownership of her wonderful characters, so I guess I still don't own them. But I can still play with them…

Chapter 14

Disclosures and Discussions

The next morning Harry woke up in a really good mood. He had a plan and that made him happy. By the time he showered and dressed in his black T-shirt and jeans, he was the last one out of the room. He went down to the Great Hall to find Ron and Hermione having breakfast with Lupin and Tonks.

"Morning," he said as he sat down.

"Morning, Mate," replied Ron through mouthfuls of food.

Hermione, he noticed, didn't look up. She was reading the Daily Prophet and frowning.

"What's wrong, Hermione?" Harry asked, trying to get her attention. He wanted to see what her eyes said this morning.

"Death Eaters were seen at Beaubaxtons yesterday, and the groundskeeper and a teacher are missing. The students weren't there yet, and there was no damage to the school. That doesn't make sense. Why just take a groundskeeper and a teacher? The attack would have had a greater impact on the Wizarding world if he had attacked while the students were there," she couldn't figure it out. Hermione refused to look at Harry. She wasn't sure how to act around him this morning.

Ron shrugged. "Maybe he got his dates mixed up?"

Hermione glared at him. "Honestly, Ron, sometimes you are so dense. Do you really think that one of the most cunning wizards would make that kind of mistake?"

"Hey! I was just trying to help! Why are you snapping at me?" he asked.

"I'm not! I'm just…Oh never mind! Harry, you need to talk to Professor Lupin," Hermione snapped as she grabbed her paper and stomped off.

"What's got her knickers in a twist?" asked Ron.

Harry watched her go and shrugged. He figured that he had a good idea.

"So, Harry, what did you want to talk to me about?" Professor Lupin asked.

"I…I mean, we want to go to Godric's Hollow. I'm not too sure where we need to go. I thought maybe you could direct us."

Lupin sat back with a pained expression on his face.

"Why?" he asked quietly.

"I just feel like I need to go there. I need to see where it all began. Something tells me I need to see my Mum and Dad's house. I don't even know where they are buried! I've never been there," Harry replied.

"Well, if you're going, I am going with you. I don't think you should be there alone. We don't know if it's been booby-trapped, or…none of us have been there for years…" he finished in a whisper. The clinking of cutlery against dishes was the only sound in the Great Hall as Lupin relived painful memories. "We will have to discuss this with Professor McGonagall of course," he said after a moment.

"That's fine," said Harry. "I need to meet with all of you anyway. Professor Dumbledore told me to talk to the three of you."

"Well, it will have to be in about an hour. I believe she is in a meeting right now with some of the past Headmasters."

"That's okay with me," Harry got up. "I'll meet you at her office."

"Where are you going, mate?" asked Ron.

"To find Hermione. I think I need to talk to her."

"Do you want me to come, you know, in case she blows her stack again?" asked Ron.

"No, it will be fine," smiled Harry.

"Good luck," muttered Ron, "you're going to need it."

Harry left the Great Hall and headed back to their common room. He didn't find her there, so he dug out his Marauder's map.

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," he said as he tapped the map. He quickly scanned the map and found her outside sitting under their favorite tree. "Mischief managed," he said as he folded and tucked the map back in his trunk.

He jogged down the stairs and headed out the doors into the warm sunshine. When he approached the tree he could see her sitting with the paper on her lap, but she had her eyes closed and she was leaning back against the tree. He watched her for a moment, unsure of how to approach her.

"Are you going to stand there and stare at me all day?" she asked without opening her eyes.

He sighed and went and sat beside her. They were quiet for a few minutes, and then Hermione sat up, all business-like.

"I want to know what your intentions are, Harry," she said without looking at him.

"I don't know," he said honestly.

"Then why did you kiss me?" she asked.

"Because I…I wanted to," he finished lamely. "You were there, so close, and it felt so right…" he trailed off. He was afraid to ask her what she thought about him kissing her.

Hermione was quiet, taking it all in.

"Hermione, look, if what I did was wrong, I'm sorry. I don't want to lose you as a friend, but on my birthday, something happened. I felt something that I've never felt before. Well, that's not entirely true; I felt something like it with Tonks, but not like that. I know you felt it too. It was powerful. I felt…energized, complete…I don't know!" He said in exasperation. "I just know that I have only felt that way with you."

Hermione turned and looked at him. Her eyes were glistening with unshed tears.

"I'm scared, Harry," she whispered, "I have a hard enough time dealing with the fact that you might die, and now this."

"I don't plan on dying, Hermione," he took her hand in his. "Voldemort has already taken so much from me. He's not taking my life as well. I'm scared too. I don't want to lose you. If Voldemort finds out how close you are to me, you'll become a target. But last night, I decided that I've put my life on hold for long enough. I don't want to wait just in case, you know, something does happen. I'll protect you to the best of my ability, Hermione, but I'll understand…"he left his thought unfinished as he dropped her hand.

"I don't need protecting," said Hermione frowning.

"I know! I know! But part of me wants to protect you. That's the way I am. Look, why don't we take it slow? I promise I won't do anything you don't want to do. Just promise me that you will still be here for me."

Hermione smiled, leaned over, and kissed his cheek.

"I'll always be here for you, Harry," she said.

"Good," said Harry, feeling relieved.

He stood up and held out his hand to her.

"I promised Dumbledore I would talk to Lupin, Tonks, and McGonagall about the Horcruxes. Come with me?"

She took his hand and together they walked back to the castle. Harry felt content, knowing he still had his Hermione by his side.

****** ****** ****** ******

To say that the professors were upset to hear about the Horcruxes was an understatement. Professor McGonagall took turns glaring at both Harry and Dumbledore's portrait.

"Minerva, this is something that Harry needs to do!" said Dumbledore.

"But he is just a boy!" she exclaimed angrily.

"Yes, but that boy is becoming more powerful that anyone else in the wizarding population."

"I am?" said Harry, feeling pride at Dumbledore's faith in him.

"Yes, Harry you are. I have the utmost confidence in you," he looked down at Harry over the top of his glasses. "As long as you finish your training. He has the support of his friends, Minerva, and now he has access to your knowledge and experience. He will succeed," he said as he sat back. "We do know about some of the Horcruxes; the ring, the Hufflepuff cup, the diary, and the locket. There will be at least two more. Harry and I discussed the idea that perhaps Nagini is one. Do you have any further ideas, Harry?"

Harry shook his head. He turned and looked at everyone else, taking the locket out as he did.

"This is the locket Professor Dumbledore and I found. It's a fake. We think the real one was found by Regulus Black."

"Regulus Black!" said Hermione in surprise, "Wasn't he Sirius's brother?"

"The same one. Sirius told me that he was a Death Eater, but Voldemort had him killed," Harry replied.

Ron's eyes went wide. "We found a locket like that at Grimmauld Place!"

Harry nodded grimly. "The one I threw out. Now, either Mundungus has it, or Kretcher hid it, or it's in a rubbish pile somewhere. We may have to take a trip to Grimmauld Place, or find Mundungus. I'm hoping that it wasn't thrown away. That will make our job so much harder."

"Do you have any idea where the Hufflepuff cup may be?" asked Professor McGonagall. "I don't recall seeing anything here at the school like that."

"We didn't have to chance to look for it I'm afraid," Professor Dumbledore said.

"Well, you certainly have your work cut out for you," said Professor McGonagall.

"And not much time," interjected Hermione. "I was reading the paper this morning. There have been sightings of Death Eaters at Beaubaxtons where two people have gone missing, and more attacks on some homes of families that are not pureblood. The Dementors have been busy too," she shuddered.

Harry turned to Professor McGonagall. "Professor, we haven't heard anything about the Order.'

Professor McGonagall shook her head sadly.

"The order is in chaos Mr. Potter. Without its leader there is confusion and unrest."

"But couldn't you, or someone else take Professor Dumbledore's place?" asked Hermione.

"We were the Order of the Phoenix. Fawkes chose our leader. Now, with Fawkes gone, we don't have anyone to take his place," she said nodding at the portrait. "Until the time that Fawkes comes back, the Order no longer exists."

"We need to find him," Harry said, "I don't trust the Ministry to stop these raids."

"Fawkes came from a Mountaintop near Tibet. His family still rests in the high mountains. Perhaps he has gone back to his family," suggested Dumbledore. "Harry, you should find a whistle in the top left drawer of my desk, sorry, Minerva, Professor McGonagall's desk, if she hasn't already removed it? You may be able to call him with it, but not from here. You may have to take a little trip."

"Professor McGonagall went to the desk and rummaged in the drawer. She came around to Harry and held up a gold whistle on a chain to him. He took it and held it up, watching the light play off of its surface.

"If I can get him to come back, do you think he will choose a new leader?" Harry said as he put the chain around his neck.

"Fawkes is very wise, Harry. If he can find someone with wisdom and courage to lead the Order, he will. He will not choose just anyone," Dumbledore's eyes seem to twinkle as he looked at him.

"We'll find him sir, but I would like to go to Godric's Hollow first," he said.

I have discussed this with Harry, and I will be going with them," Professor Lupin spoke up. "I feel it may be for the best."

"Very well, Harry, however be forewarned. You may not find the closure you are seeking," Dumbledore warned. "Do not dwell in the past. Embrace it, but look towards the future."

"I understand sir. I just want to go back to where it started. Something tells me I need to go there." Harry turned to Lupin. "My parents, are they buried there?" Harry asked.

"Yes, Harry, they are. Although it shames me to say I haven't been there in several years," Lupin sighed.

"That's okay. I understand, probably better than you think," Harry replied.

"Professor Lupin can create the Portkey for you, and will serve as a guide. I only ask that you be back before nightfall," Dumbledore said.

"I can be ready to leave in half an hour, Harry. I think I have an old can that will do the trick," Lupin said as he stood up. "I'll meet you in the main hall."

-->