Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade by Roz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade

Roz

Second Author's note: I have re-loaded this chapter after a glitch appeared on the original story. Sorry for any confusion.

A/N: Thank-you for all of your wonderful reviews! It warms my heart to read all of your positive comments. This is just an information chapter before we get to some of the nitty-gritty stuff, but I promise you won't have to wait too long for the next one! Thanks to Dementor149 for all of his support! It has made for a great friendship.

You all know the legal jargon; do I really need to repeat it for the 54th time? Besides, I can't think of anything witty right now…

Chapter 54

Luna's Mission

Previously…

Harry stood up and headed for the door, Neville scrambling after him.

"Harry, where are you going?" he asked.

Harry turned and looked grimly at Neville.

"To fulfill a prophecy," he said.

"HARRY, STOP!" both Lupin and Neville yelled.

"What?" Harry said angrily as he spun around.

"Harry, we can't just rush into this," Lupin said. "We need to find out what the situation is."

"Remus is right," Moody said as he limped down the stairs. "We need information." He sat down and turned to Lupin. "Most of the Army is missin'. At the school still, I presume."

Harry's heart sank. He had been so focused on Hermione and Ron that he had forgotten about everyone else.

"Ginny?" he asked, "and Luna?"

"Both missin'" Moody growled, and Harry swore under his breath.

"Harry," Tonks said gently. "Let's come up with a plan. You can't barge in there alone, that's what he wants. I don't think that he will do anything to the rest of them until you arrive," she said.

"How can you be so sure?" Harry asked.

Tonks smiled. "I'm an Auror, remember? I deal with wackos all the time."

"She's probably right, Harry," Lupin said. "We need a plan and the time to contact reinforcements. We should-"

The fireplace flared to life and they all turned to see Arthur Weasley's head in the fire. They could see the relief in his eyes as he saw Harry and Neville.

"Harry, Neville. Thank Merlin. I looked for you at the Ministry," he said.

"We're fine," Neville said.

"Do you have any news, Arthur?" Moody asked.

Mr. Weasley's face fell, as he looked at Harry. "Unfortunately I do," he said.

His head suddenly whipped around to look at something behind him.

"Hang on, we're under attack, I'm sending someone through," he said and he disappeared. They waited anxious seconds before the fireplace flashed again and someone tumbled out.

"Luna!" Harry gasped as he jumped up and helped her to her feet.

Harry was so excited to see her, because it meant Ron and Hermione would follow…wouldn't it? He looked towards the fireplace, expecting to see one of them pop through next.

"They're not coming," she said quietly.

Harry turned and could see she was extremely upset. She looked so small and frail, which seemed so different from the beautiful girl that had emerged whenever Ron was around. As he thought this, an image flashed through his mind of a mousy looking Tonks, when she was upset about Remus, and his heart sank. He knew something had happened. He could feel his fear crushing his chest, waiting to rip his heart out. He sat down heavily at the table, cradling his head in his hands.

"Tell me," he said.

"He has them at Hogwarts," she started, "In chains."

Harry's head shot up and Luna could see the pain in his eyes.

"Has he…has he hurt them?" Harry asked as his nightmares came to the surface.

Luna didn't answer right away. It had been hard enough telling the Weasleys that their son was dying slowly, and perhaps painfully.

"Wait a minute!" Harry said. "How did you escape? Were you with the others? Who saw you leave? Obviously someone did, since there was an attack on the Burrow. How many Death Eaters were there? Did you see how many students were left? Who-"

"Harry, please!" Luna cried, putting her hands over her ears.

Harry watched as Luna shook her head, her eyes closed. She took a deep breath and looked at him with sad eyes.

"I didn't escape, I was sent here by…him."

"Voldemort?" Harry said, and Luna nodded.

"He is demanding that you return immediately, and alone. If you don't…Ron…Ron will die," she said.

"Typical," snorted Tonks. "Threaten to kill someone you're close to."

"This is different," Luna said. "He made him drink poison, so if Harry doesn't come soon, Ron will die. He said he would give him the antidote if Harry is quick enough."

There was silence in the kitchen as everyone let the words sink in.

"Poor bugger's done for," Moody muttered quietly.

Remus kicked him.

"I'm really sorry, Harry," Lupin said.

"What for?" Harry asked.

"I know Ron was a good friend," he said.

"Was? He's not dead yet. I'll get the antidote."

"Harry, you can't go rushing in there, remember?" Moody said.

"Why not?" Harry asked. The only thing he could think about was saving Ron.

The Fireplace flared to life and Mrs. Weasley stepped out. She looked at Harry briefly before turning away, but it was long enough for him to see the accusation in her eyes.

"Right then, shall we have a spot of tea?" she said as she bustled around the stove. "Arthur's on his way. He just wanted to contact Bill, Charlie, and the twins, to tell them about…well, update them on our situation."

Harry could see her hands shaking as she filled the pot, and Tonks went and put an arm around her shoulder. Harry felt sick. It was his fault that the children of his `adopted' family were in danger. He had to save them, all of them. He stared at the fireplace waiting for Mr. Weasley, as Hermione's voice sounded in his head reminding him of his `saving people' thing. Usually it just annoyed him and he pushed it aside, but this time the sound of her voice hurt, and he rubbed his chest to try to make it go away.

He had worried about loving Hermione and the pain associated with the chance of losing her, but this…this was unbearable. Not only was she in trouble, but he could lose Ron as well. The hopelessness and despair began to overwhelm him, and he cradled his head in his hands again as it washed over him in waves. In the recesses of his own mind, he could feel Voldemort's glee.

"Stop it," he muttered as he fisted his hair and focused on closing down his barriers. He could hear Voldemort laughing at him as he did so.

Arthur arrived in the fireplace, and Harry felt some relief in his appearance. He looked haggard, but Harry could see the fire burning in his eyes. He went to Molly and gave her a quick squeeze.

"Bill and Fleur are on their way here, the twins are staying in Hogsmeade for now to watch the castle. Charlie had already heard about the attack on the Ministry, and is on his way as well."

"We need to gather as many people as possible, make a strong attack," Moody said.

"Are you forgetting about Ron?" Harry said as he stood up.

Moody sighed, and came over to stand in front of Harry and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry to be so blunt, lad, but he's as good as dead,"

Molly suddenly rushed from the kitchen, and Harry could hear her broken hearted sobbing all the way up the stairs. Luna ran after her.

Harry pushed Moody's hand off his shoulder.

"If you tell me one more time that Ron is a casualty of war, I will poke your other eye out," Harry said. "As long as he is alive, I will do whatever it takes to keep him that way. If it means I go in alone, then so be it."

"Harry, you can't go in alone," Lupin said. "We need a plan."

"I think I have a plan, but Voldemort needs to see me come in alone," Harry said, and he explained his idea.

An hour later he was upstairs looking for Mrs. Weasley and Luna. He found them in the sitting room, Mrs. Weasley staring at the old writing desk. Luna left as Harry approached Mrs. Weasley, and after a moment's hesitation, he sat down beside her. She glanced sideways at him before looking at the desk again.

"When that Boggart became Ginny two summers ago," she began, "it knocked me for a loop. Then as it cycled through Ron, the twins, Arthur, and even you, I realized how precious my family is to me, and how I would do anything to protect them, and why I was so against any of you being a part of this war."

She wiped a tear as it rolled down her cheek.

"You know, Harry," Mrs. Weasley said, "A parent's worst fear is losing a child. We would sacrifice our own lives to save them."

"Like my parents did," Harry said quietly. "The power he knows not."

Mrs. Weasley nodded, and they were both silent for a moment.

"I'm sorry Ron got mixed up in all of this," Harry said. "I honestly didn't want him to be a part of this. Imagine my surprise when he was attacked in one of the safest places I know."

Mrs. Weasley smiled sadly.

" He would always be there for you and Hermione," she said. "He wouldn't have wanted it any other way,"

"I'll bring him home, Mrs. Weasley," Harry said. "I promise."

Mrs. Weasley patted his knee. "I know you will, dear. I know you will."

Luna was waiting outside the door when Harry left. She cocked her head and looked at him with her big blue eyes.

"You will keep your promise, won't you?" she said.

"I hope to," Harry said.

Luna looked at him again, like she was observing an experiment.

"Everything will be fine, you know," she said as they moved down the hall.

Harry sighed. "I certainly hope you're right," he said.

Luna took hold of Harry's hand and gave it a squeeze.

"I'm glad you're my friend," she said before releasing it and carrying on down the hall. Harry watched her go.

"Me too," he said quietly. "Me too."

Harry entered his room and found Neville sitting on Ron's bed. Harry rummaged through his bag and found his cloak. He tossed it to Neville, who caught it and put it in his bag.

"You'll have to put that on before we leave the twins' shop. Fred said that he hadn't seen any Death Eaters in town, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Find McGonagall. She's the one who will be able to drop the wards on the castle."

Neville nodded and stood up.

Harry took a deep breath. "Ready?" he asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Neville said. "Lets do this."

They arrived in the kitchen to find Tonks, Remus, Moody and Mr. Weasley waiting for them.

"Everything's set, Harry," Mr. Weasley said. "The twins are expecting you and they report that they have some more of the bombs you were looking for. My assistant, Perkins, is meeting up with Tonks at the safe house and they are going to collect all the Hogwarts' badges. We have the group ready to go in Hogsmeade, and the second group will meet at the safe house."

Lupin came over and put his hands on Harry's shoulders and looked him in the eye.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Harry?" he asked.

"What choice do I have?" Harry replied. "He's forced the issue."

"Remember, constant vigilance. Don't let your guard down," Moody said.

"Be careful, Harry," Tonks said as she gave him a quick hug.

"I will," Harry replied, as Neville grabbed his arm. Harry gave his badge a twist. "Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes," he said.

They arrived in the back room, where the twins were waiting. Harry quickly explained his plan to them, and loaded Neville's backpack with some of the twins' gadgets. Finally, Harry pulled off the invisipouch with its hidden items. After a moment's hesitation, he handed it to Neville.

"Here," he said. "I need you to keep this safe. In case something happens to me."

"It won't," Neville said.

Harry shrugged. If something does happen, I want you to give the pendant to Hermione."

Neville nodded as he attached it to his belt.

"Gentlemen," Fred said with a flourish as he threw his invisibility cloak over his shoulders. "Shall we get this party started?"

-->