Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade by Roz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade

Roz

Chapter 3

Intervention

The next few days were even worse than before for Harry. He felt broken and beaten, and he was afraid to fall asleep. He slept fitfully when he did, waking often in a sweat. During the days he took to walking by himself around the park, or sitting in his room staring at nothing. He didn't even rise to the threats of Dudley, which frustrated Dudley to no end, even when he purposefully tripped Harry in the hall.

Tonks watched Harry for three days, her heart breaking. She knew something had happened but Harry wasn't talking. On the fourth day she had enough and went to the Burrow.

Ron was taking a nap under a tree, trying to get a break from his mum who was working them all to the bone, getting ready for Bill and Fleur's wedding. Tonks apparated right beside him and Ron jumped with a start.

"Wotcher, Ron," Tonks grinned at him.

"Bloody Hell!" yelled Ron, scrambling to his feet. "What did you have to do that for, Tonks? You just scared a year's growth out of me!"

Tonks laughed and sat down against the tree.

"Looks like it would help too! You're getting awfully tall, Ron."

Ron flopped back down beside Tonks and looked at her sideways. Today she had spiky, platinum blonde hair with black tips. He liked the fact that she could change her appearance. It made her interesting. No wonder Lupin liked her so much.

"So what do I owe for the pleasure of this visit? I thought you were working?" Ron asked leaning back with his arms behind his head.

Tonks sobered up immediately, a pained expression was evident in her eyes.

"Its Harry," she said quietly.

Ron sat straight up.

"What's wrong? Is he okay? Where is he? What happened?"

Tonks held up her hands to stem the flow of questions.

"No, no," she said, "he's okay…I think." She frowned. "Well, he's alive that's for sure, but he is troubled by something. He's not sleeping or eating properly, Ron. He looks like hell. He won't talk to me, and its getting worse. I think I need you and Hermione's help."

"What can we do?" asked Ron.

"Go see him. Try to get him to talk or at least eat!" she said.

"Okay…let's see…I can probably get him to eat, that's my specialty, but Hermione is the only one that he will talk to. Ginny said that he talks to Hermione because she has that empathetic thing going for her. You know, it's a girl thing." Ron said talking more to himself than Tonks.

Tonks rolled her eyes.

"I'll have to contact her. We weren't going to see each other until the weekend, since its Harry's birthday, but I guess we could go earlier."

Tonks raised an eyebrow at him. "Seeing a lot of her these days?" she asked with a grin.

Ron blushed. "Yes, not that it's any of your business," he muttered as he jumped up and headed towards the house. Tonks followed laughing.

"Tonks!" cried Mrs. Weasley when they arrived at the kitchen.

"Morning, Molly," said Tonks, "I hope you don't mind but I have to borrow Ron for a few days. I promise I will have him back well before the wedding."

Molly looked terrified as she came over to where Ron was standing quietly.

"Oh Tonks please tell me it's not for Order business! He's so young…" she trailed off as

Ron rolled his eyes at her.

"Mum, I am seventeen now. Really!" he huffed.

"No Molly, its just Harry. He isn't…um… feeling well, so I thought that Ron could cheer him up."

"Oh! Of course! Anything for Harry! Here dear, take him some cookies. He'll like that."

She began bundling them into a small container as Ron headed upstairs to get ready. Just as he was packing his bedroll, Ginny walked by.

"What are you doing Ron?" she asked as she leaned against his doorframe.

"What does it look like? I'm packing," replied Ron as he stuffed the last of his clothes in his bag.

"Obviously," Ginny said, rolling her eyes. Where are you going?"

"To see Harry," was the reply.

"Oh! Wait! I'll come too!" Ginny said as she turned to go to her room.

"No!" said Ron, "You're not going!"


Ginny turned back to him, her eyes blazing.

"And why not? I'm his girlfriend you know," she said, putting her hands on her hips.

"Ginny-" Ron sighed, " It's not a good time for you to see him. And besides, didn't he break it off with you?"

"He only said that to protect me. He is so brave and sweet…" she sighed.

Ron just rolled his eyes. "Yeah right. He's a bloody hero."

"Well he is!" cried Ginny. "And I deserve to be with him! I know him the best, I know what's good for him"

Ron snorted. "Yeah, sure you do."

"What's that supposed to mean? Who else would know him as well as I do? I was the one he chose. We were the perfect couple. The hero and his beautiful girlfriend," she said with a flip of her hair.

"Uh…Ginny? I don't think that's how Harry wants you to see him. He didn't choose this fight. You-Know-Who did. I think that Harry just wants this to be over so he can have a normal life," Ron said as he thought about the prophecy.

"Oh he's better than normal. They have already named him `The Chosen One'. You don't just disappear to lead a normal life after something like that. He's famous," she said smugly.

Ron sighed. His sister was star-struck and he was afraid that she was going to get hurt. As much as Harry was his best mate, he didn't think that Ginny was the one for him. She was hotheaded and stubborn, and Harry didn't need a lifetime of conflict. Then again, he did seem happy when he was with her…

"Look-Ginny, just give him some time, okay? He might change his mind after all of this is over, but right now he needs Hermione and me. Not you."

Ginny pouted, turned and flounced back to her room and slammed the door.

Ginny was right, thought Ron as he picked up his bag. Harry will probably never have a normal life. He will always be the famous Harry Potter.

Molly had insisted that Ron finish all of the chores before he left, so it was dinnertime by the time Ron and Tonks got to Hermione's house, and the Grangers were pleased to see them.

"Come in. Come in," beamed Mr. Granger. "We've just finished dinner, but Jane has a wonderful apple crumble that just came out of the oven. You must stay for dessert."

Seeing as Ron never turned down an offer of food, they went in. They made small talk over dessert, and Ron kept glancing sideways at Hermione.

She sure has changed in the past year or so. When did she become so pretty? Ron thought as a slight blush crept into his cheeks. I have really enjoyed spending time with her alone these past few weeks.

They had started to become closer at the end of school last year, and even though he had seen her a few days ago, he missed her company. She caught him looking at her and reached over and squeezed his hand under the table. Ron blushed even further and averted his eyes.

"So Tonks," said Hermione finally, "What brings you here? Surely Ron didn't hire you to chaperone did he? Drag you all the way over here just so he could have…dessert?"

Tonks snorted at that and Ron narrowed his eyes at her.

"No actually, I've come because of Harry," she said.

Hermione's smile faltered and she paled noticeably. She dropped her hand from Ron's, which annoyed him to lose that contact with her. I wonder if she ever worries about me like that?

"What's happened? Oh, please tell me he hasn't left without us! He needs our help!" she said frantically.

"Like he can't look after himself," Ron grumbled under his breath. Hermione kicked him in the shin.

"Where is he going dear?" Hermione's mother asked.

"Oh, wha…" Hermione stammered realizing that she and Ron were the only ones in the room who knew about the Horcruxes.

"Well…um…to buy a wedding gift for Bill and Fleur! Oh, you know what men are like Mum! They are terrible at finding the right gift." She looked pleadingly at Ron to verify her story.

"Oh, yeah, right," said Ron catching her eye. "Ummm, don't know what we would do without good ol' Hermione here."

Tonks looked at the two of them with a confused expression on her face.

"Yes, well," she said, thinking there was something they weren't saying, "Harry's a bit under the weather right now. Do you think you could leave tonight instead of waiting for the weekend? You might be able to cheer him up a bit."

"Oh! Of course!" said Hermione, "I was already packed anyway. I'll just be a minute."

She went upstairs with Ron's eyes following her noticeably girlish figure.

"Is there ever a time when that girl is not prepared for something?" he asked with amazement, appreciating the swing of her hips.

"Not our Hermione," said Mrs. Granger proudly.

After hugs and promises to write, they left the Granger's and found a private place to Apparate. Soon they were walking towards the Dursley's.

Harry heard the doorbell ring downstairs but didn't bother to get up. Probably one of Dudley's friends. He was surprised then to hear arguing and then Uncle Vernon bellow.

"BOY! GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!"

Harry sat up, feeling a little light headed from lack of food or movement. He threw his shirt over his head and headed for the stairs, not bothering to do anything with his appearance. He shuffled down the stairs and looked towards the commotion from the landing. His eyes went wide as he took in the scene before him. Tonks had her wand pointed at Uncle Vernon's throat, and he was backed up against the re-boarded fireplace. Uncle Vernon was absolutely purple in the face and spluttering in rage. Aunt Petunia was sitting on the couch with Dudley and she was trying to protect him from their visitors, which was silly, considering the size of his girth. Ron was standing just inside the door with a look of pure rage on his face and Hermione was behind him trying to hold him back. At first, Harry was relieved to see his best friends, but then he remembered the dream and went cold. He just stood there, looking at them, the fear tightening itself around his heart.

Ron looked towards him and his face dropped. Harry looked terrible, and he didn't look at all happy to see them.

"Blimey…" Ron said as he took in his friend's scruffy appearance.

Hermione looked up at Harry and gasped.

"Oh, Harry," she whispered and tightened her grip on Ron's arm.

Tonks looked over at Harry and gave him a small smile.

"Wotcher, Harry. We were just talking about you. Won't you join us?"

Harry shrugged nonchalantly and came the rest of the way down the stairs and into the living room, warily eyeing the scene before him.

"Now then," said Tonks tapping her wand on her chin. Where were we? Oh yes! We were discussing the arrangements for the next three days."

"A…Arrangement?" interrupted Harry.

"Yes. You have guests. And the Dursleys-" at this she whipped her wand up at Uncle Vernon again. "The Dursleys have graciously agreed for them to stay." Tonks grinned wickedly at Uncle Vernon's discomfort.

"But…" started Harry, "what if I don't want them here?"

Hermione's eyes went wide at that statement.

He's scared of something. I haven't seen him this upset and withdrawn since the prophecy.

"Harry," Hermione said gently, "We would really like to stay with you until Saturday."

Harry just stared at them for a moment. He felt sick. His nerves were raw and he was emotionally drained. He didn't want this anymore. He just wanted to be alone, away from the rest of the world. He wanted to forget about all he knew, because then maybe, just maybe, the pain in his chest would go away. But he knew they wouldn't leave him alone. It annoyed him.

"Fine," he finally said and turned around and went back upstairs without waiting for them to follow.

"Well! That went swimmingly!" said Tonks cheerfully as she turned back towards the Dursleys. "Now, you will be polite to your guests while they are here and show them your generous hospitality for the next three days."

"Now see here-" spluttered Uncle Vernon.

"No, you see here. Harry is going through a very difficult time. He is obviously not getting any support from you lot, since you have the empathy of a pea, so we are here to help. If you interfere in any way, I will know about it. Do I make myself clear?" Tonks snarled.

Uncle Vernon clamped his mouth shut and after a slight hesitation, nodded mutely while eyeing the wand in the enraged witch's hand.

"Oh, and by the way, this young gentleman and lady are both of age, which means…"she looked pointedly at Dudley and smiled wickedly, "they can do magic. Don't piss them off."

Dudley gulped and tried to hide his huge girth a little further behind his mother. Tonks went back to where Ron and Hermione were standing. She gave Ron a little vial.

"Sleeping draught," she said quietly, " I think he needs it, but he won't take it from me. Look after him." she said as she gave them a quick hug and apparated with a crack.

There was an uncomfortable silence as the four people stared at each other.

"Yes…well…" said Hermione clearing her throat as she moved towards the stairs.

"Where the bloody hell do you think you're going?" growled Uncle Vernon gaining his courage back now that the crazy woman had left. He wasn't going to be cowed by two teenagers.

Hermione turned and looked at him. She gave him one of her no-nonsense smiles.

"To see Harry."

"There will be NO girls upstairs in MY HOUSE!" Uncle Vernon yelled.

Hermione's smile stayed on her lips, but her eyes hardened. She moved until she was standing in front of Uncle Vernon. Her wand was in her hand before he could blink and like Tonks, she pointed it at his whimpering face.

"I don't want to cause any problems, but you WILL let me go upstairs where I WILL be staying in Harry's room for the next three days with Ron!" her eyes narrowed, as she took in his quivering form. "You already disgust me! Do NOT anger me. You will regret it." With that, she turned back to the stairs.

"Coming, Ron?" she said without looking back. Ron shrugged and followed her upstairs.

"Bloody hell, Hermione!" he said, "That was brilliant!"

A/N: So let me know what you think! I will be waiting to hear from you!

-->